Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E13: Happy New Year Baby

Bort

This episode really got me.

Steve's proposal was a mess (or DJ's I should say). I really do not see this wedding happening. Steve dated the closest replica of DJ that he could find. He is with this woman for who she reminds him of. Bad move!

So Steve was her choice? I would love to do my "happy dance" since I am team Steve, but I can't with how it's playing out. I feel as if DJ is only with Matt because Steve is with CJ. A mess!!

Addressing Steph's infertility was nicely done by all. With her in a relationship I knew this was going to be brought up sooner or later. Jimmy handled it with total class.  

Pamela.....beautiful touch! Well done!!!! I got a little emotional on that one :)

• Love 3

I knew it. I knew DJ had picked Steve. I knew it the moment that Matt came to win DJ over and they kissed. I mean, I'm not mad about it. If we could get less Obsessive Steve, then I could really root for them again. But since it's clear that DJ's going to make a fool out of herself at the inevitable wedding episode, I'm more cautious. 

I will say, the proposal scene is exactly how I expected it, but it was still just as funny.

I guess Jesse and Becky's adoption came through. I'm impressed that it happened within a couple of months, as well. I liked having a Jesse/Danny/Joey moment. 

I loved the moment between Becky and Steph. Having her infertility come up in this episode was really good to follow through with. And Jimmy handled Steph's infertility with class. It made me absolutely love him for it. 

I'm still not impressed with Popko. His hippo video really soured me of him, and I enjoyed him before that. I did love Rose and Max preventing the teens from kissing each other. 

And....the Pamela part got me so hard. I teared up almost immediately. 

• Love 2

Aw Pamela. That was a nice touch. 

Also Stephanie and her fertility issues. Which is a story I genuinely appreciate in this show. 

The Matt/DJ/Steve thing is obviously still going to go on next season (is there a next season? Do we know yet?) and now we are going to deal with the wedding episode and I'm not excited.

It took me a second to remember that Pamela was the name of the girls' mother. It was very touching for Jesse and Becky to name their new baby after his sister but at the same time, I kind of felt like he should've asked the girls if it was okay because what if one of them had wanted to use it if they had a daughter someday.

I really loved that their adoption prompted Stephanie to ask Becky questions about it. It just seemed like a very natural thing for someone in Stephanie's position to wonder about how the feelings would go, since she won't ever be able to experience the biological aspect. I like that Becky's reference of both gave her the ability to put Stephanie's anxiety at ease.

• Love 3

The teens acting did get better as the season went on. They were almost acting like real kids in this episode. 

The younger son pulled attention in a negative way as usual. The kid needs to tone it down a lot. Him standing there shouting his lines while looking at the camera was annoying throughout the entire season. I liked him talking to the guys though, Danny, Jessie, and Joey didn't let him steal the scene. The girls should take lessons from them on how to work with child actors. 

• Love 2

I thought this was pretty good. I wish they'd tone down the audience a bit. The constant Oohs and Aahs are getting old. 

I like Matt, but I'm guessing Steve and DJ are endgame. I wouldn't be surprised if they went the Friends route and had Steve accidentally say DJ's name instead of CJ during their wedding vows. 

• Love 2

Pamela.  I cried.  I like that they've mentioned their mom so much in this show.  I felt like on the original series, they stepped away from it quite a bit so it's nice to see it thrown in even though the girls are almost 40 (I almost died when they mentioned DJ's age). 

I also liked how they handled Stephanie's infertility issue and how she went to Becky for advice.  I love that she put her mind at ease. 

The best episodes are when the adults (er...dads and Becky) are on the show.  They all play really well off of one another and you can tell that they all just really adore each other.  I know that the girls are supposed to be taking the lead but the whole ensemble just works so well and it's always a nice treat.

Jesse's age after all these years still confuses me. He should have graduated in '80, which would make him about 54 now. But Joey and Danny treat him like he's the same age as them, and they seem to be 60. Eh. Whatever. I just got a mental age of a 14-year old Jesse celebrating his new niece's birth in a pow-wow with a 20-year old Danny and Joey.

I'm choosing to believe that this was a sitcom-version of the Splendor in the Grass ending, where the former teen couples gets closure on their relationship and whatever lingering feelings they have while moving on with their respective new partners. Of course, given that John Brotherton doesn't even show up on Fuller House promotional materials I'm totally fooling myself, but eh.

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:

Jesse's age after all these years still confuses me. He should have graduated in '80, which would make him about 54 now. But Joey and Danny treat him like he's the same age as them, and they seem to be 60. Eh. Whatever. I just got a mental age of a 14-year old Jesse celebrating his new niece's birth in a pow-wow with a 20-year old Danny and Joey.

I think that in the original series when Danny was 30, Jesse was 24.  I may be a year or two off but a six year age gap sounds about right.

• Love 1

I hope that when the inevitable breakup of CJ and Steve happens, CJ and Rose stick around. Rose is an awesome addition to the kids and an awesome pairing with Max.

This season was much better than Season 1. Season 1 was horrible and terrible guilty pleasure entertainment. This was too, but wasn't as beholden to the original show; it was allowed to grow and do its own things which I appreciated. The jokes and situations were as corny as ever, but the writing and acting improved for what it is.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Potanical Pardon said:

I hope that when the inevitable breakup of CJ and Steve happens, CJ and Rose stick around. Rose is an awesome addition to the kids and an awesome pairing with Max.

This season was much better than Season 1. Season 1 was horrible and terrible guilty pleasure entertainment. This was too, but wasn't as beholden to the original show; it was allowed to grow and do its own things which I appreciated. The jokes and situations were as corny as ever, but the writing and acting improved for what it is.

I too felt that season 2 was much better than season 1 because it focused less on bashing Michelle or Mary Kate and Ashley Olson, and breaking the fourth wall, and more about the show being its own despite referencing the previous series here and there.  Regardless, the referencing of the previous series happens in half of season 2, it didn't seem as frequent as season 1, imo.

The writing has definitely improved, though it is as corny as a '90s ABC sitcom.  While people had issues with season 1 being raunchy, I felt season 2 tone it down a bit as they don't reference Stephanie's boobs as often like the previous season.  I did find it a bit hilarious that Danny had no issues with the way Stephanie dressed in the original series with the crop tops. 

What was strange for me is how they gave Joey a family after implying that his character never married, yet alone had kids in season 1.  I know they didn't flat out said that he was single in season 1, it was strange for him to visit the Fullers and the Tanners (first episode of season 1) without any mention about his family.  Perhaps the writers didn't want the character to be a stereotypical man child so they rewrote the character as having a young wife and kids for season 2.

• Love 1

That was a nice way to end the season, even if it seems like the Matt/DJ/Steve triangle will live on. Its too bad, because I like the dynamic they have right now, but whatever. As far as TV love triangles go, this could have been a whole lot worse. 

While this is still pretty cheesy and sitcomey, I thought this was a big improvement on season 1, and I liked season 1! Season 1 was cute and a guilty pleasure nostalgia trip, and thats all still there, but it seems like more of a stand alone show, not just a retread of the original show. The characters seem more down to earth, there arent as many lame call backs (the call backs were mostly well done), and there were some good character beats. 

I liked how they dealt with Stephanie's infertility, and I really like her and Jimmy. Although, I think my One True Pairing of this season is Rose/Max. So cute! 

• Love 4

Perhaps the writers didn't want the character to be a stereotypical man child so they rewrote the character as having a young wife and kids for season 2.

No, they definitely made a reference to Joey having a family in season 1. We just didn't see them. And now that we have, let's hope they never show up again!

I definitely want Rose to stick around. She's just the right kind of friend for someone like Max.

I really, really, really wish that Steve actually gets married and Steve and DJ finally, truly move on. I will give the show credit that they haven't trashed Matt or CJ to make it okay. CCB doesn't seem like someone who would play a character making a move on someone's that taken, so the only way this would happen is if Steve breaks up with CJ.

And man, I really, really want CJ and Rose to stick around.

• Love 1

I am very surprised that all the full house lovers want dj and matt together vs. dj and steve. I'll admit, they really killed steve's character last season. In fact, I think they killed everyone's character on this show. I feel like as corny as full house was, it at least wasn't over the top. All of these characters became caricatures of who they were. But I feel like they slightly redeemed steve's character this season and whenever they do a flashback to a dj and steve scene I get so nostalgic. I do think dj and matt will be endgame, and dj will realize that she was just holding on to the past with steve.

I was a big Steve and DJ shipper but they made it beyond creepy last season. Matts a nice guy so I'm rooting for him and DJ now. I would like it if the four of them could be friends, DJ, Matt, Steve and PJ. It would be more realistic. Not many people end up with their high school romantic partners. Unheard of on tv but sometimes true.

• Love 3

They did put some effort into having Matt bond with the kids this season, and honestly he comes across as more... adult now than Steve does. That proposal scene was kind of terrible to watch and I can't imagine why CJ would have accepted. (and happily!)

Overall, I enjoyed this season more than the first. It was nice to see more development of the new characters and the old ones in small doses. Alas, Season 3 will be a bit too boring if all the leads are paired off, so either the Stephanie/Jimmy or the DJ/Matt relationship (or both) are soon to be toast. 

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, LaChavalina said:

They did put some effort into having Matt bond with the kids this season, and honestly he comes across as more... adult now than Steve does. That proposal scene was kind of terrible to watch and I can't imagine why CJ would have accepted. (and happily!)

Overall, I enjoyed this season more than the first. It was nice to see more development of the new characters and the old ones in small doses. Alas, Season 3 will be a bit too boring if all the leads are paired off, so either the Stephanie/Jimmy or the DJ/Matt relationship (or both) are soon to be toast. 

This might make no sense (I'm sick and on a ton of medicine so ivebeen posting in tv forums all day) but I sort of have a theory about this because I agree:

See that's the thing: as cute as it is to see DJ and Steve reminisce about their past and react about 90s nostalgia and their old memories... that's what they are doing. That's the whole concept of their relationship.

That's all we've seen and some people are lucky enough to meet their high school sweetheart and grow WITH them but I don't think that's the case with DJ and Steve, from last season they only reconnected after her husband passed and during the Steve VS Matt last season, Steve was recreating their memories so to me he wants the teenage DJ and that relationship. I don't think he's really factored in her as a mom with three kids because he has a before memory of her. Matt just met her as a grown up, he doesn't know her without her three children or without the widow factor. I feel like as much as the show tried to make it a joke, he constantly wanted to forget DJ had married someone else.

• Love 5

Yeah. I think I'm in steves boat where I am shipping their past. I don't really see much chemistry between them now but I think it's just because they are making steve's character really immature. You can tell she is way more into matt

I went in thinking I'd be Team Steve but damn, Matt is really hot and he's got chemistry with the entire cast.

I genuinely LOLed at the fight between the guys. 

As a whole, this season was worlds better than last season. I struggled through last season mainly for nostalgia sake. I'm a year younger than the Olsens, and Stamos was my first crush. I like how the adults are focused on (much like earlier seasons of the OG). Jodie Sweetin remains the most charismatic, talented and real of the characters. I like the allusions to her having a real, adult life.

• Love 2

My ideal ending for the DJ/ Steve/Matt triangle is actually for DJ and Steve to realize that their romantic relationship is a relationship built on the past and that they have all these great memories, but he's happy with CJ and she's happy with Matt and maybe life isn't like a fairytale and high school sweethearts are just that. It's bittersweet. (And apparently happened before ... DJ is widowed and isn't Steve divorced?)

I would be much more conflicted about the whole thing if they hadn't originally assassinated Steve's character only to redeem him in these last two episodes. I thought I'd be all about DJ/Steve, but I came out of the first season DJ/Matt and that didn't change in season two.

Also, I never thought I'd be so invested in a rebooted 90s sitcom. I'm going to be genuinely sad when they pull the inevitable and make DJ/Steve endgame.

• Love 5

Here's what I think will happen:

Matt set up Steve and CJ which means he knows her. I think that DJ is actually the replacement for CJ and Matt has been in love with his friend CJ for years and thought she was not interested in him for some sitcom reason. CJ has been in love with Matt but his setting her up with Steve has her believing that it will never happen. While planning the wedding next season, something happens and CJ realizes Matt really does love her, dumps Steve and they finally get together, leaving DJ and Steve to find their way back to each other.

All that being said, CJ comes out the winner in this scenario because Matt is amazing and if I had to choose, it would be him hands down. A handsome and successful veteranarian who took care of me and my family when we were all sick without a complaint? Yes please!

• Love 3

Cute idea ... but in the end I'm sure it'll be a DJ\ Matt pairing because a majority of the audience wants that.. i think cj and Steve wedding will go through . They'll play the whole will they won't they thing with dj and Steve but it'll never happen . They're both gonna realize the past is the past and it's time to move on 

17 hours ago, Jaclyn88 said:

Cute idea ... but in the end I'm sure it'll be a DJ\ Matt pairing because a majority of the audience wants that.. i think cj and Steve wedding will go through . They'll play the whole will they won't they thing with dj and Steve but it'll never happen . They're both gonna realize the past is the past and it's time to move on 

I really, really, really want them to do that. It's the Splendor in the Grass ending, which never fails to be amazing.

• Love 2

The three original dads having at each other was a tremendous payoff thirty years in the making. The only thing that could've put it over the top is if Joey or Jesse revealed there was one wee place in the house that has never been cleaned the whole time since they lived there.

• Love 6

I don't want to derail the conversation, however: in the screengrab from the top of the page am I seeing three grown men sitting on the ARMS of chairs rather than IN the chairs like weirdos?

I just want to make sure I'm not losing my mind.

Sorry. As you were.

Urgh. 

I kept hoping for a New Year's miracle... but they're really going with the Steve proposed to CJ thing, huh? 

On 12/10/2016 at 5:06 AM, mj2000 said:

So Steve was her choice? I would love to do my "happy dance" since I am team Steve, but I can't with how it's playing out. I feel as if DJ is only with Matt because Steve is with CJ. A mess!!

This is how I feel. I'm guessing they'll drag out the triangle even further? 

I'm bummed though, because CJ does seem nice. She has never been nothing but kind to DJ (even when Steve keeps insisting they hang out with his ex-girlfriend and her family) and her daughter is adorable. 

And this season's Steve is SO MUCH BETTER. The pillow pet? The NKOTB tickets? The rushing to the reunion to save DJ? This is perfect Steve. 

Someone in another thread was wondering if Steve was this obsessive about DJ back when DJ was dating Tommy Fuller. I think the answer to that is no. Remember, Steve was married before. He's divorced now, but at some point he was happy with his wife and loved her and wanted to marry her. Until we're shown otherwise, I'll choose to believe that Steve was fully committed to that relationship and not secretly pining over DJ that entire time. 

• Love 2

I'm going to chalk up Steve's behavior in season 1 as a mid-life crisis brought on by getting divorced at 40. Still Team Matt, but Steve has been far less creepy this season.

Count me in as another person who thought the compromise was going to be adopting an older kid, or fostering. It's really funny to think that this is the second time Lori Loughlin has played a white woman who adopts a black baby. I wonder if Fuller House will be as complex and thought-provoking as This Is Us has been about the topic of interracial adoption and the way its treated within society. (Okay, just kidding about that one.)

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

I'm going to chalk up Steve's behavior in season 1 as a mid-life crisis brought on by getting divorced at 40. Still Team Matt, but Steve has been far less creepy this season.

Count me in as another person who thought the compromise was going to be adopting an older kid, or fostering. It's really funny to think that this is the second time Lori Loughlin has played a white woman who adopts a black baby. I wonder if Fuller House will be as complex and thought-provoking as This Is Us has been about the topic of interracial adoption and the way its treated within society. (Okay, just kidding about that one.)

Not only that but the second time she has done it on a reboot show. 

They really couldn't be bothered to get Eva Larue back as Danny's new wife, even for a scene to ring in the New Year.  Or bring back Joey's wife, sans kids.  I love that they were there for Jesse and Becky but the glaring absence of Danny's wife especially is so far fetched now.

Edited by JBC344
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, JBC344 said:

Not only that but the second time she has done it on a reboot show. 

They really couldn't be bothered to get Eva Larue back as Danny's new wife, even for a scene to ring in the New Year.  Or bring back Joey's wife, sans kids.  I love that they were there for Jesse and Becky but the glaring absence of Danny's wife especially is so far fetched now.

I agree, I mean we finally get Joey's wife and kids, but God forbid we get more insight on Danny's second wife. I mean, this was a guy who was widowed for years, almost got remarried and had that fall apart. Yet, he apparently met Eva's character a few years ago and has been married for a bit now. Wouldn't it be nice to see the girls' relationship with their stepmother? The grandkids? How about Jesse and Becky?  Once more, we have the boys other grandparents mentioned both last season and this and yet we have never met them. I mean we saw Danny's and Jesse's parents more regularly than this and even Danny's sister. So, since season 3 looks like a sure thing, how about we actually get to know Eva Larue back and focus a few episodes on that or if they are going to move forward with DJ's relationships how about we see the reaction of her former in-laws?

• Love 3

What does Danny's wife do that she's never around for any holiday or important event? Even Joey's wife appeared for a holiday. 

I think the issue with Steve not being able to propose was about the fact it was the wrong person. That look between him and DJ at the end showed they still had their feelings. He had no problem practicing with DJ. I think if/when it comes to proposing to DJ he'll be able to do it just fine. 

How did Jesse & Becky get a baby so fast? There's no way.

• Love 1

Liked the recall to Stephanie not being able to have kids. That scene is S1 was so random, but also so touching. Liked the scene with Becky, although I feel the adoption story is a bit rushed. You don't get kids that quick but this is a sitcom, so I'll let it go. The name thing did bring a tear to my eye.

And I'm sure I'll get thrashed, but if there is a 3rd season, I am okay with maybe one appearance of the original 3. I think the show can stand on its own without them and there are so many cast members now, it's hard to fit everyone in. Or maybe only have one at a time (like Joey in the sick episode). It's like the 90210 reboot where they fazed out the old cast members after Season 1.

What does Danny's wife do that she's never around for any holiday or important event?

Yeah, it's weird they got Eva LaRue to play the role in S1 and then don't bring her back? She would've been useful in the midlife crisis story.

Edited by xander874
  • Love 2
On 12/29/2016 at 7:54 PM, Artsda said:

What does Danny's wife do that she's never around for any holiday or important event? Even Joey's wife appeared for a holiday.

They said (I think in the Thanksgiving episode) that his wife was visiting her family on the holiday.  If Danny is her second husband she probably has kids of her own and wants to spend time with them. It's kind of weird to do that for every holiday, but I can see them sometimes splitting up to see their own kids.

I wonder if they couldn't get the actress for S2.

On 1/11/2017 at 5:10 PM, KaveDweller said:

They said (I think in the Thanksgiving episode) that his wife was visiting her family on the holiday.  If Danny is her second husband she probably has kids of her own and wants to spend time with them. It's kind of weird to do that for every holiday, but I can see them sometimes splitting up to see their own kids.

I wonder if they couldn't get the actress for S2.

I do wonder that, but I said since now they have a season 3, we need to see her. They have a gold mine of stories there with how the girls react to their stepmother and how the kids review the only other grandmother they have known. Same goes for Tommy Sr.'s parents, have been mentioned many times since season 1. Yet, we have never seen them or how they are dealing with the lost of their apparently only son. Since season 3 is going to be 18 episodes. They have a lot of room for this. 

I think DJ wanted the choose Steve in order to see if the feelings were still there, or if they are living in the past.  She did tell that to Kimmy and stephanie...but said that everything has worked out for the best since she has Matt....so I think it's still Steve that can't let go..while DJ has accepted that it's in the past.

Season 3 will be interesting...because in the original show..Danny stayed single even though he had a good pairing with vicki (shame they couldn't have that actress back)..and I wonder if the show wants the keep DJ as the widowed mom like they did with danny throughout the run of full house.