Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E09: The Brother / S02.E10: The Truth

Everywhere Eric turns, people are lying to him. One long-held secret and years of deceit leads to an explosive revelation that will change the Warner family forever. As the situation reaches a fever pitch, Eric makes a tragic admission about his past. And even though he claims not to know who killed Kate, it is becoming increasing clear to Detective Cornell who the murderer is, as the evidence mounts toward an arrest.

and

Patrick grapples with his new reality, as Detective Cornell closes in on Kate’s killer, and the murderer is finally exposed. Meanwhile, Danny frantically continues his search for his daughter, hoping to get one more chance to be a real dad. However, in the end, it is Cornell that faces a devastating surprise.

I really liked this season better, overall, than the first season.  And I like the fact that they've really shown us so much more about Cornell.  I loved the character and the actress so much more.  I won't say anything specific, but I seriously can't wait until season 3.

One question:  Who was it that called Eric on the cell phone at the end, and it showed us Eric calling him back.  I'm probably just drawing a blank on someone/something obvious.  LOL

• Love 6

That was Kate's son Charlie she had given up for adoption. I liked that it had a promising ending for Eric. He would have a connection with Charlie, adopt his niece or nephew and reconcile with Patrick. I was good with it not having a completely dark ending. Cornell's fate notwithstanding!

Totally called Mandy being the killer weeks ago although I thought she had also pushed the mother down the stairs. But Dad being a bigamist I did not see coming!

What does everyone think are the chances for a 3rd season?

• Love 8

Well, that was depressing.

I knew it was going to be Amanda, but I wasn't expecting her to be pregnant. That pretty terrible for her to know she killed Kate because she was upset about not having a baby, only to find out she does have one on the way. Which she now can't raise. I hope Eric does change his mind about raising it though, the flashback of Kate saying there are kids who need families made me think he might. He doesn't owe her anything, but it sucks to think the kid could end up in foster care.

I also didn't expect Terry O'Quinn to be a bigamist. That's really crappy. Eric pretty much found out everyone in his family totally sucks. His wife was a liar, but she's an angel compared to his father and siblings. But she's also dead, so it doesn't matter much.

so do they have a resolution to the cliffhanger online? I hate when shows force me to watch extra stuff....

• Love 9
1 hour ago, ShowsILoveToHate said:

I really liked this season better, overall, than the first season. 

I did too. I especially liked that I wasn't constantly distracted by how swampy Charlotte looked last season.  Even though the production of the show moved from NC to CA, I believed it was Charlotte. 

Did anyone else get a staticky and narrated first hour? Very strange. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

I knew it was going to be Amanda, but I wasn't expecting her to be pregnant. That pretty terrible for her to know she killed Kate because she was upset about not having a baby, only to find out she does have one on the way. Which she now can't raise. I hope Eric does change his mind about raising it though, the flashback of Kate saying there are kids who need families made me think he might. He doesn't owe her anything, but it sucks to think the kid could end up in foster care.

so do they have a resolution to the cliffhanger online? I hate when shows force me to watch extra stuff....

The last Cornell Confidential:  32 months have passed and Patrick, just released from jail, meets Eric and the niece at the park. Eric says he's glad he raising her and offers Patrick a room. They walk off together. Cornell is never mentioned. 

• Love 10

Amanda was the only major character to not be a suspect during the season. So of course she turns out to be the killer.  Still this season was miles above the first (which I did enjoy).  I liked the soapy nature of the season and how seriously messed up the family (apparently both of them) turned out to be.  The father really was a peice of work.  Never willing to do what was necessary to rescue any if his children if it meant his secrets would be exposed but the murder of Kate exposed everyone's secrets...everyone's lies anyway.

i think my major issue with last season was I didn't like Cornell.  I found her interesting this season.  I want another season,

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 9

I tuned in to part of the finale to see how it wrapped up.  I had suspected his sister from episode one.  I did find just how it happened on the roof to be rather silly though.  I mean, these were smart ladies.  When you get a really bad vibe and someone pushes you, you don't keep trading words and shoves on a rooftop.  Plus, the little spot she fell from had no real rail of protection. I found the flashback of how it happened rather absurd.  So, I suppose it wasn't that satisfying to me.  

I really want to like this show, but, something about it turns me off.  Last season was okay, but, I grew frustrated there too.  I suppose this season was a bit better.  I would love a third season if Cornell was a victim. 

• Love 6
11 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

I also didn't expect Terry O'Quinn to be a bigamist. That's really crappy. Eric pretty much found out everyone in his family totally sucks. His wife was a liar, but she's an angel compared to his father and siblings. But she's also dead, so it doesn't matter much.

It didn't.  I figured it was Amanda since she was the only major character that wasn't a suspect.  As for the season, it was so boring with all the subplots imo and I got tired of hearing the words secrets and lies they've repeated over and over again.

This is a daytime soap at night. I like the soapyness of it and the self contained stories. I would love next season Cornell to be the defacto victim (not that I want her dead) but to have her be the "Eric" of the story secretly investigate her own case.   

Of course Amanda was the mostly likely suspect. I always thought it was either her or Eric's secretary.  No one keeps secrets like a secretary does.  Anyway I did like the season.

• Love 4

That was sad. I felt for the sister, until she pushed Kate off a roof for no reason. I get that she was upset, but her angry reaction of shoving Kate made no sense. I think I would have preferred if Eric's dad had been the murderer instead. He turned out to be a real a**hole.

Did they mostly just figure out the murderer by the fact the clothes were new? And how did the sister's blood not get tested against the blood on the roof before, along with everyone who was at the party?

I liked how the subplot with the cop looking for his daughter wrapped up. It was sweet.

I enjoyed the soapy silly mystery of this show, and would probably watch a season 3, if it looked interesting.

• Love 8

Amanda seemed like the best of the bunch - almost as much of a caretaker as Eric.  Too bad.  It certainly wasn't premeditated, and never would have happened if the building had proper railing on the roof.

I didn't quite get what happened to Cornell.  Her daughter had broken into her home, and someone shot Cornell with her own gun?  She's grown on me.

Papa Warner's oldest and youngest boys were so similar.   I wonder if he often thought how whiny, incompetent, and similar they were.

I like how the script was flipped regarding race.  The white side were of more modest means, and the black side were the wealthy ones.  But it makes absolutely no sense that John Warner wouldn't have used his newfound wealth on his first family.

So did Neil just continue to work at SEG while Eric raised his child?  I would have forced Neil to pay child support, even if I had enough money.  Dude needs to be held accountable for something.

• Love 1

It seemed to me that Cornell shot someone several times when she turned around so quickly.  I suppose they could have gotten her too though.  When we will find out.  I read some rumors, but, I'd like to know if it's really going to happen. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

So did Neil just continue to work at SEG while Eric raised his child?  I would have forced Neil to pay child support, even if I had enough money.  Dude needs to be held accountable for something.

SEG is basically done.  Eric said whatever was left standing after the SEC got through with them he would tear apart and start over and he legally could because everything had started with their mother and since the marriage to their father wasn't valid everything belonged to the kids;  Which for all purposes meant Eric.

i doubt Neil has a job after everything.  It's more then likely he disappears and is never heard from again.  I am not sure that is a bad thing.  Yes he should be held accountable but would that be in the best interest of a child who already has a shotstorm if family dysfunction to deal with?  My guess is Eric is going to let him just fade away.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 4

Very happy to see the re-emergence of Juliette Lewis. I found this show to be way too convoluted and last night was ridiculous. The only reason I am watching Secrets and Lies is Cornell. If there is a season 3 and Lewis isn't in it, I won't be watching.

I hope there's another season, I want to see what happens to Cornell. 

I guessed the sister around the time it was revealed she was having fertility issues. Idk why it just popped in in my head that she did it. 

I really liked Danny and Eric's  friendship, at the end.  Can someone remind me what Danny had to do with Kate? I'm drawing a blank. 

I was pretty shocked by the dad and his double life. So,  we are supposed to assume he married the second wife for her money, right?  And,  only kept her alive in that coma,  so his secrets wouldn't be revealed? 

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Tdoc72 said:

The last Cornell Confidential:  32 months have passed and Patrick, just released from jail, meets Eric and the niece at the park. Eric says he's glad he raising her and offers Patrick a room. They walk off together. Cornell is never mentioned. 

Thanks.

Why not just show that on the show?

• Love 6

I hated the reveal, no because Amanda was the killer, but it was a silly fight (as wrong as she was, why was the pregnant Kate willing to engage in a pushing contest with someone at all, let alone while she was on the rooof), not murder by any stretch and Amanda as an attorney although panicked should have this.  The actions of an emotionally distraught woman (perhaps the medication altered her personality and mitigated her actions) might have garnered sympathy and a reduced sentence.  A woman who allowed one brother to be a suspect when he should have been mourning and another brother to be arrested as she remained silent is on no way understandable or sympathize.  Hopefully she remains in jail until her daughter is grown.  The great irony as noted by another poster was that Amanda allowed her frustration to turn to rage and she killed Kate because she was pregnant while Amanda tried desperately to conceive; she turns out to be pregnant and now spends her pregnancy in jail and cannot raise the child she wanted so desperately. Also, look at who fathered her child, a complete waste who couldn't care less for his child if he tried. [The Cornell Confidential should have just been aired as it was good to see Eric happy, he deserved it and Patrick seemingly wiser for his incarceration. Plus the little girl was adorable, even though she is a biter.]

Terry O'Quinn keeps up his long-standing role as awful person in whatever show he is on.  He truly was the worst, who cared only for himself.  I'm glad that neither he nor his equally awful other son are entitled to any of Eric mother's money.  Someone questioned whether the secret is why he was so willing to keep the mother alive in a vegetative state, and I suspect that yes, that was the reason he kept her in that state because her death might have triggered some check that he knew he could not pass.  No evidence, just a feeling as I don't believe that guy loved anyone other than himself.  I also wonder if his secrets and her possibly suspecting something contributed to her drink driven abuse.

• Love 6

The sister was the first one I thought was the killer.  It was just the way she jumped in immediately to be Eric's lawyer.  That was a red flag to me considering she was also a suspect in the murder.  Plus she had known Kate the longest and introduced her to the family.  I figured Amanda was most likely the one to know her secrets.  But I secretly hoped that they would surprise us and make Eric the killer. 

The father was crazy to think he could keep the secret from his first wife.  His first family must have been rather sheltered.  I am surprised they never heard about the father's big business that was quite prominent.  And surely they would have heard or seen about the murder of Kate?  The family was in the media. 

• Love 3
1 minute ago, LakeGal said:

The father was crazy to think he could keep the secret from his first wife.  His first family must have been rather sheltered.  I am surprised they never heard about the father's big business that was quite prominent.  And surely they would have heard or seen about the murder of Kate?  The family was in the media. 

Wasn't the other family in Georgia?  Kate's death might not have been big news outside of Charlotte. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, LizDC said:

Kate's death might not have been big news outside of Charlotte. 

It didn't seem like it was even big news IN Charlotte.

I was overall satisfied with the season, and would watch an S3, but I guess I'm the odd duck who preferred the first season.  I'm not entirely sure why, but I didn't really connect with it in the same way.

No, actually I may know why, it's because I really dislike Jordana Brewster.  I also kind of liked the idea of Cornell as Joe Friday, someone we never really knew outside of her job.

• Love 6

Eric's look of constant exasperation at each revelation, and saying stop lying were amusing, but did we need a two hour finale? Thought this was okay, plodding mostly, until the very end. I also hate the idea of Cornell confidential, and having to go online to find out info. Cornell's druggie daughter, gunshots, what's next?

Edited by BigBlueMastiff
typo
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, BigBlueMastiff said:

Eric's look of constant exasperation at each revelation, and saying stop lying were amusing, but did we need a two hour finale? Thought this was okay, plodding mostly, until the very end. I also hate the idea of Cornell confidential, and having to go online to find out info. Cornell's druggie daughter, gunshots, what's next?

They were just burning off episodes because Quantico already had its mid-season finale and they had an open hour. Plus ABC didn't want to air this finale without the OUAT lead in.

• Love 2
On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 8:18 PM, Happytobehere said:

Terry O'Quinn keeps up his long-standing role as awful person in whatever show he is on.  He truly was the worst, who cared only for himself.  I'm glad that neither he nor his equally awful other son are entitled to any of Eric mother's money.  Someone questioned whether the secret is why he was so willing to keep the mother alive in a vegetative state, and I suspect that yes, that was the reason he kept her in that state because her death might have triggered some check that he knew he could not pass.  No evidence, just a feeling as I don't believe that guy loved anyone other than himself.  I also wonder if his secrets and her possibly suspecting something contributed to her drink driven abuse.

John Locke is one of my all-time favorite TV characters.  He was a cool guy and I adored him.

• Love 1
22 hours ago, starri said:

It didn't seem like it was even big news IN Charlotte.

I was overall satisfied with the season, and would watch an S3, but I guess I'm the odd duck who preferred the first season.  I'm not entirely sure why, but I didn't really connect with it in the same way.

No, actually I may know why, it's because I really dislike Jordana Brewster.  I also kind of liked the idea of Cornell as Joe Friday, someone we never really knew outside of her job.

I preferred the first season as well. Jordana Brewster,  also annoys me for some reason,  I can't really explain it. 

I got into the this season as it went on,  but I felt like I had to force myself to watch the first few episodes. (first world problems lol). 

• Love 3
On 12/7/2016 at 11:20 AM, imjagain said:

I got into the this season as it went on,  but I felt like I had to force myself to watch the first few episodes. (first world problems lol). 

Me too. It remained melodramatic but somehow became more enjoyable as the season went on. Of course, there was the ongoing eye candy: Eric, Patrick, Neil, and that guy from Lie to Me. Even Amanda was beautiful, though she was always annoying. Jordana Brewster was supposed to be perfect and hot AF, but she was as manipulative and dishonest as everyone else in the Warner family. How dysfunctional is your family when everyone gets arrested except for your bigamist father's dying first wife?

And is it only on TV that so many people are accidentally pushed to their deaths? IDK. I just never hear about this in real life. 

• Love 5

Almost over the line of having too many subplots, but enjoyed how they played out, and connected.  Especially Cornell.  I didn't think I'd like to see the real life side of her, but found myself drawn in.  (Love the actor playing her ex. - my mind just went blank on  his name! )  Would like another season, for sure.

• Love 1

Well, Eric certainly was enjoying being an amateur detective and teaming up with the cop with the missing daughter, so I can somehow see a third season where they private eye Cornell's killing. I can't recall enough about the first season, but it would not be out of the question for Cornell's daughter's cohort to be a loose end from then.

I kind of figured it was the sister because of the amount of focus upon her infertility and Kate's pregnancy throughout the series. Sadly both Kate and the kids' mother had balance issues. Especially the mom. That's not "falling down the stairs"; that's doing a backflip over a railing!

The clues to the other family were all there with the father's unexplained trips, but can that really be pulled off in the modern era of constant communication, and locating devices? Not to mention that it is high time, with the Supremes voting in marriage equality that we de-criminalize how many you love. It's the 21st century.

• Love 3
On 12/10/2016 at 11:05 AM, NorthstarATL said:

The clues to the other family were all there with the father's unexplained trips, but can that really be pulled off in the modern era of constant communication, and locating devices?

The half-brother was in his 40s, no?  Dad had been practicing at it for a long time.

Interesting ending.  I have a problem with it though.  There were only two black women on the show, their mother and Mandy and both of them turn out bad.  One was an abusive drunk and the other a killer.  Not much balance there, show.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, Neurochick said:

Interesting ending.  I have a problem with it though.  There were only two black women on the show, their mother and Mandy and both of them turn out bad.  One was an abusive drunk and the other a killer.  Not much balance there, show.

To be fair, everyone in that family turned out bad except for, of course, Eric and his "saintly" wife.  

• Love 2
On 1/1/2017 at 11:33 AM, Fable said:

To be fair, everyone in that family turned out bad except for, of course, Eric and his "saintly" wife.  

Did Eric ever say, "Damn. My wife was a straight-up liar. I guess I never really knew her sneaky ass after all."? 

• Love 1

I know I am late to this show, but wow, just wow. This is so ridiculously entertaining. There were two moments that stood out to me: -

1) Roughly halfway through the series, every member of the friends and family had a bunch of dirty little criminal secrets, except one, and from that moment onwards the killer may as well have been wearing a neon sign stating "murderer". This somewhat detracted from the reveal. 

2) The secrets and lies piled one upon another to the point of ridiculousness. There were silly and contrived twists everywhere, but the straw that broke the camels back was the bigamy twist in the previous episode. From that moment on, this show became gold, comedy gold. 

I hope there is a third series.  

Edited by Chinspinner