Type keyword(s) to search

Hamilton's America on PBS

This Friday, October 21st, at 9pm (at least that's the time here in Los Angeles)

Our 15 year old daughter became addicted to this over the summer, turned my husband on to it, then got me into it.  I've heard it probably a dozen times and I'm still not sick of it.  It's a brilliant piece of work, imo.  So, needless to say, we're looking forward to Friday night (well, we're all busy until late on Friday, so we'll get to it sometime on Saturday  :)

• Love 3

This was excellent, and I liked how they went to some historical places like Valley Forge, Weehawken, and Mount Vernon. It was good to see Joanne Freeman and Ron Chernow

Was Hamilton really that unknown to most people? I am a history teacher and discuss him in my class every year so my viewpoint is obviously skewed.

• Love 3

[Name drop alert] I am a little acquainted with Joanne Freeman, one of the historians featured. I happened to see her just after she filmed her bit, and she told the story of how she was so amped about discussing her favorite subject that she didn't realize she'd called Hamilton an asshole. When it sunk in during her trainride home, she called the director to confirm. He replied she had, and that it was his favorite moment to include. She confessed to a little chagrin, "but at least it was in context!"

Naturally I asked if Chris Jackson is as dreamy as he comes across. Oh, she said. He's just the sweetest thing! I probably squeed. Can't confirm.

• Love 7

It was awesome! I would love to just see the whole recording of the actual show. I have seen Hamilton live and it was the most amazing thing ever. I felt like I wanted to record it in my head so I could relive it.
My son wanted to watch it again, so we're actually watching it right now.

• Love 1

Made me tear up:

• Leslie Odom Jr. in "Wait for It," and again in "The World Was Wide Enough"
  • Phillipa Soo in "Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Tells Your Story"
  • Christopher Jackson in "One Last Time"

Made me grin like a fool:

• Daveed Diggs in "What'd I Miss?"

Really well done.  I loved seeing LMM talk about his work/geek out about Alexander Hamilton, and listening to Christopher Jackson talk about the slave quarters at Mount Vernon hit me so hard.  I also liked the guy who compared LMM to Shakespeare - it sounds corny when you just come out and say it like that, but his explanation about taking the language of the common people and elevating it to poetry really felt fitting.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, attica said:

[Name drop alert] I am a little acquainted with Joanne Freeman, one of the historians featured. I happened to see her just after she filmed her bit, and she told the story of how she was so amped about discussing her favorite subject that she didn't realize she'd called Hamilton an asshole. When it sunk in during her trainride home, she called the director to confirm. He replied she had, and that it was his favorite moment to include. She confessed to a little chagrin, "but at least it was in context!"

Naturally I asked if Chris Jackson is as dreamy as he comes across. Oh, she said. He's just the sweetest thing! I probably squeed. Can't confirm.

Shallow alert - I loved Ms. Freeman's hair!  Mr ebk noticed it too because he asked me who she was since he didn't see the screen where she was identified. I don't usually notice those either, but I did with her's! 

I was really taken with Chris Jackson.  So perceptive and thoughtful.  

• Love 2
18 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

I thought this was excellent. I'm still hoping they eventually show us the show itself but this was very god. 

Freudian slip there?

I enjoyed them going to the actual buildings and rooms where the revolution occurred.  Being west coastian, it's something that we miss out on.  Having visited some of the sites, those guys really did love their brightly colored wall paints!

• Love 1

Finally watched it last night.  That was fun.  I knew what what was involved in making a movie and now I know what's involved in putting together a musical. I don't know why I never imagined it would be just as arduous. 

19 hours ago, attica said:

17 hours ago, ebk57 said:

I was really taken with Chris Jackson.  So perceptive and thoughtful.  

When I was in school I hated history (with the exception of one class--where finally got a fun teacher), and I've been grateful that my daughter, for the most part, has had history teachers that have found ways to make it more interesting for than it was for me.  I liked when Chris Jackson was telling that kid that he needed to find the drama, the antagonist, the protagonist, etc.  It's what I've been thinking since I first heard the sound track and what my mom reiterated when I was telling her about her granddaughter's obsession with the musical--you have to make it a story.  Facts and dates just won't cut it with most people.

18 hours ago, angora said:

Made me tear up:

• Leslie Odom Jr. in "Wait for It," and again in "The World Was Wide Enough"
  • Phillipa Soo in "Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Tells Your Story"
  • Christopher Jackson in "One Last Time"

Made me grin like a fool:

Daveed Diggs in "What'd I Miss?

I love "Wait for it" and now that I know more about Aaron's life, I appreciate it even more.  I tear up through the other two as well.  Hell, I can't listen to most of the second half of the soundtrack because it wrecks me.  It took me a a couple of listens to start liking "What'd I Miss?"  I knew that he picked a different sound for Jefferson because Jefferson was going to shake things up, but it didn't occur to me until the show that he was also behind the times.  Brilliant!  I read the making-of book that they made and I was impressed with the thought that went into the characters and the songs.  The first number of times I went through it, I kept hearing new things.

The songs that make me grin like a fool are from the King. 

18 hours ago, angora said:

I loved seeing LMM talk about his work/geek out about Alexander Hamilton, and listening to Christopher Jackson talk about the slave quarters at Mount Vernon hit me so hard.  I also liked the guy who compared LMM to Shakespeare

LMM's passion for love, live and his career are so evident in the music for this soundtrack that there are couple of songs that still leave me breathless even though I've heard them dozens of times.   Seeing it during the interview was so much fun. 

I'm so impressed with the whole production and this show was wonderful.  I could have sat through another half hour, at least. 

• Love 1

The flow was really great, and I like what they chose to weave through the various numbers we actually got to see. I wouldn't have minded a longer version, with more historical knowledge. Interviews with historians and political figures (Obama, Bush, Ryan, Warren) were a great touch.

I was disappointed when I heard about this, that we wouldn't get a full recording, but I was surprised to see that we got to see the earlier footage of his writing process.

On 10/21/2016 at 11:32 PM, Constant Viewer said:

Was Hamilton really that unknown to most people? I am a history teacher and discuss him in my class every year so my viewpoint is obviously skewed.

I think the general public knows basic facts: $10 bill, founding father, Secretary of Tresaury, etc. The Burr/Hamilton duel is probably most known due to the famous "Got Milk" commercial in the 90s. But the rest? For those with a basic high school knowledge of history, we might not know how close to the presidency he was, his wife's involvement with his legacy, or his involvement in the creation/push for a lot of major things (Wall Street, the Coast Guard, etc).

Liked this a lot (love the musical), but I actually hated the random appearances by politicians, which felt forced -- especially George W. Bush, whom I continue to view with horror, and who is still obviously in denial about the damage he's done.

• Love 3

I only now found out about this thread and had to join in and add how much I loved the program.  I'm probably the only person in the US who doesn't have a DVR and but now I wish I did as I would be watching the program over and over again.  Perhaps they'll sell a DVD version at some point in time (and then I'll have to buy a DVD player, ha!)

A friend of mine who lives out of state was upset with her local PBS affiliate because they weren't airing the show and was told another public access channel had the rights to it and that channel pre-empted the show to air, get this, a high school football game instead. 

26 minutes ago, MyAimIsTrue said:

I only now found out about this thread and had to join in and add how much I loved the program.  I'm probably the only person in the US who doesn't have a DVR and but now I wish I did as I would be watching the program over and over again. 

Have you googled how to watch it online?   Our dvr turned off in the middle of watching it and while it was rebooting, I did that just in case the problem with the box was one that caused us to lose the recording.  I believe there was a way to watch it, but I don't know for how many days.  I don't have exact details because while I was scanning different sites that came up, our box came back on and everything was fine. 

On 10/22/2016 at 11:16 AM, attica said:

lol!  Yeah, he is dreamy and came across as really sweet.  I think Okieriete Onaodowan, who plays Hercules Mulligan/James Madison was very good looking, too.

On 10/21/2016 at 8:32 PM, Constant Viewer said:

I'm sorry to say that I didn't know much about him at all except the founding father/$10 bill part.  If I learned more (over 30 years ago) in high school, I don't remember.  Like I said earlier, our history teachers were about as exciting as watching paint dry, so Cs and Ds were not unusual marks for me in that class.  They could have covered more about him and I forgot or they could have passed by him.  I also learned, and never forgot, about Aaron Burr and the duel because of the "Got Milk" commercial that Unraveled mentioned.   I should probably be ashamed of that, but I'm not (it was a great commercial!).  It's proof that if you can find a way to make it fun, it will stick with people.  My daughter has already used a couple of things she's learned from listening to Hamilton on her history tests this year and has even been able to answer some of my questions about early American history because the show has had her googling things that she wanted to know more about. 

I liked the show .  Did they really do some filming months before it was even on stage?  Pretty prescient, but I guess given LMM's talent and the first song debut for the Obamas, it was pretty clear that the show would do well.

I couldn't understand at all wtf Fallon and Bush were doing on the show.  Who cares what they have to say.  I was more interested in hearing from the historians on the issue.  I have to say that hearing that one guy from the Roots talk about seeing the show 8 or 9 times made me insanely jealous because I can't afford to see it even once.

I love that LMM found the story and saw how close it related to our current situation and created a musical to rap about history.  That people can learn more about Hamilton and the history of our country from it is a great bonus.

• Love 2
26 minutes ago, Shannon L. said:

Have you googled how to watch it online?   Our dvr turned off in the middle of watching it and while it was rebooting, I did that just in case the problem with the box was one that caused us to lose the recording.  I believe there was a way to watch it, but I don't know for how many days.  I don't have exact details because while I was scanning different sites that came up, our box came back on and everything was fine. 

I believe it'll be available on the PBS website for a few weeks.  That's how I used to watch missed 'Downton Abbey' episodes.

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, Hanahope said:

Did they really do some filming months before it was even on stage?

This is just a guess, but I'm wondering if this kind of thing is done these days in order to pitch the project for angel investors. Or to pitch to teevee, since, as LMM said, musical theater doesn't make it off the style section much.

This show is one of the reasons I'm proud to support PBS. I believe Alex when he says the idea was to run a camera (cheap) and see what happens---at the very least, they'd have a record of the process. Did they know it'd run more than 7 years? Ha, I doubt it.

during the footage of "One Last Time" at the WH

Amazing (accurate use of the word;-) from Chris' performance to watching the President during "teach them how to say goodbye." Verklempt. LMM was playing his father? Ron Chernow inspired hip hop? Chris Jackson at Mount Vernon? Lin and Leslie reading A. Burr and A. Ham? Lin anywhere and everywhere? Priceless.

The doc is definitely on the PBS website, so if you missed the airing, go for it. (Our PBS channel has already replayed it a couple of times and it's been available On Demand.) That and the soundtrack will have to hold me until January, when *knock wood* we'll be in the room where it happens.

• Love 1

I have to admit that I didn't know much about the show when I DVR'd this special. I knew it was a phenom, and knew it was impactful, but had no idea I would absolutely become HOOKED based on this PBS special.  Still haven't listened to the whole soundtrack, because I know the addiction will grow. Right now I just play some of the songs from the special, and visit YouTube for some of the White House videos (wish there were more of those online). I just know if I listen to the whole show, beginning to end, that I'll be moaning because I can't afford tickets. ::sob::

PS, I'm assuming the "and Peggy!" is a running shtick in the show?

• Love 1
Just now, TeapotWakeen said:

I have to admit that I didn't know much about the show when I DVR'd this special. I knew it was a phenom, and knew it was impactful, but had no idea I would absolutely become HOOKED based on this PBS special.  Still haven't listened to the whole soundtrack, because I know the addiction will grow. Right now I just play some of the songs from the special, and visit YouTube for some of the White House videos (wish there were more of those online). I just know if I listen to the whole show, beginning to end, that I'll be moaning because I can't afford tickets. ::sob::

PS, I'm assuming the "and Peggy!" is a running shtick in the show?

There are three Schuyler sisters (the middle one marries Hamilton). When they are introduced in their first song, they sing their names, "Angelica!" "Eliza!" "and Peggy!".

Sadly, in the second act, it's "Angelica!" "Eliza!" "       ".  Though the play never mentions it, Peggy has died.

The subtleties in this musical are astounding!

• Love 5
On 10/24/2016 at 1:31 AM, Brn2bwild said:

Liked this a lot (love the musical), but I actually hated the random appearances by politicians, which felt forced -- especially George W. Bush, whom I continue to view with horror, and who is still obviously in denial about the damage he's done.

I was prepared to give Bush a chance, as he might have had some insights as a former president, but he didn't have anything interesting to say.  When they were talking about "The Room Where it Happens," Obama talked about trying to see things through your opponents' eyes.  Bush said something vague like "we talk about how we are going to solve this problem? it's simple."  What?

• Love 2
17 hours ago, j5cochran said:

When they are introduced in their first song, they sing their names, "Angelica!" "Eliza!" "and Peggy!".

Plus, Peggy is depicted as the stick-in-the-mud sister, not so glamorous/adventurous as the other two. Her character isn't otherwise developed (the actor doubles as Maria Reynolds in Act 2); Peggy's the afterthought. Even sung, "Angelica!" rises to a lovely high note, "Eliza!" soars in the middle, "And Peggy!" is just kind of tacked on, unlovely and dull. A little bit of comedy in the music, which makes audiences feel a little bit of affection for poor 'and Peggy.'

17 hours ago, TeapotWakeen said:

Still haven't listened to the whole soundtrack, because I know the addiction will grow. Right now I just play some of the songs from the special, and visit YouTube for some of the White House videos (wish there were more of those online).  I just know if I listen to the whole show, beginning to end, that I'll be moaning because I can't afford tickets. ::sob::

You'll have to let us know when you've finally listened to whole thing and tell us what you thought of it in it's entirety.  Then a few us us can moan together about not being able to afford tickets  :)   BTW, there's a great companion book that I recommend reading along with the soundtrack.  It talks about the making of the show in great detail and it has the lyrics along with footnotes about certain lines and what he was thinking when he wrote them or why he chose to write them a certain way.  Speaking of that book:

28 minutes ago, attica said:

Plus, Peggy is depicted as the stick-in-the-mud sister, not so glamorous/adventurous as the other two. Her character isn't otherwise developed (the actor doubles as Maria Reynolds in Act 2); Peggy's the afterthought. Even sung, "Angelica!" rises to a lovely high note, "Eliza!" soars in the middle, "And Peggy!" is just kind of tacked on, unlovely and dull. A little bit of comedy in the music, which makes audiences feel a little bit of affection for poor 'and Peggy.'

Lin said in the book [paraphrased]  "Poor Peggy--her story wasn't too exceptional.  She married rich and died young". 

Thanks everyone for the explanation of the "and Peggy!" stuff. I have a big deadline for work, and then plan on listening to the whole album as a reward for finishing it. I can't afford obsessions and deadlines in the same month ;-)

• Love 1
19 hours ago, j5cochran said:

There are three Schuyler sisters (the middle one marries Hamilton). When they are introduced in their first song, they sing their names, "Angelica!" "Eliza!" "and Peggy!".

If I remember correctly Peggy originally wasn't part of the show but Jasmine Cephas Jones' voice went so well with Philippa Soo and Renee' Elise Goldsberry that they added the character, and that's why the "and Peggy" gag.

• Love 1

I, too, knew only the basic facts about AHamilton (no idea about his creating the Coast Guard, for instance), and this will drive me straight to  Chernow's book, which I should be able to finish before "Hamilton" is here in San Francisco next year. But watching this reminded me of Ken Burns' "The Roosevelts" -- more history I didn't know about People Who Got Sh*t Done. Thank you, PBS, for both shows! (And the upcoming "Gypsy" with Imelda Staunton that I was lucky enough to see in London.)

• Love 1
10 hours ago, MyAimIsTrue said:

Peggy originally wasn't part of the show but Jasmine Cephas Jones' voice went so well with Philippa Soo and Renee' Elise Goldsberry that they added the character

Wow. She's the daughter of Ron Cephas Jones, currently being awesome as William in This Is Us. Talented family.

I enjoyed watching the special, but only because I learned a lot more about Alexander Hamilton (and other historical figures), than I did years ago in history class.  I also liked seeing the historical places they visited.  However, I wouldn't want to see the play, even if I could.  I'm assuming the entire play consists of rapping, and it got to be really annoying after about 1/2 hour of seeing it on tv.  So, I can't imagine how annoying it would be to see an entire play of rapping. 

A side note:  I thought it was awful of Lin Manuel Miranda to be wearing jeans when visiting the WH and speaking with the President.  That was not the place to be trying to look "cool."  Show some respect.  Geez.

2 hours ago, Ohwell said:

I'm assuming the entire play consists of rapping, and it got to be really annoying after about 1/2 hour of seeing it on tv.  So, I can't imagine how annoying it would be to see an entire play of rapping. 

Actually there's more singing than rapping.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, MyAimIsTrue said:

Actually there's more singing than rapping.

Well, I suppose that's good to know.   From the scenes I've seen on tv, they seem to emphasize the rapping.  Perhaps they're trying to appeal to a younger audience?

(edited)
5 hours ago, Ohwell said:

I'm assuming the entire play consists of rapping, and it got to be really annoying after about 1/2 hour of seeing it on tv.  So, I can't imagine how annoying it would be to see an entire play of rapping. 

A lot more than rap.  I'm not a fan of rap and was convinced to listen to this soundtrack by my daughter and now I can't get enough of it.

Well, I suppose that's good to know.   From the scenes I've seen on tv, they seem to emphasize the rapping.  Perhaps they're trying to appeal to a younger audience

Probably and given how little kids seem to be learning about early American history these days, I'm all for it.  There have been things about it that I didn't know and my daughter was able to fill me in because the soundtrack had her googling all sorts of facts about the real incidents described in the show.

Edited by Shannon L.

The cast recording has rap, hip hop, jazz, traditional broadway, ballads, and a Bach invention inspired classical    type piece.   The range is amazing.

I have one kid in AP US History, one in Civics and one in early US history this year.  I'm getting a lot of Hamilton lyrics sung back at me while helping them study.  

• Love 3

How about starting a "Music of Hamilton" thread in the Music section?  Seems like there are a number of us who know the soundtrack (or who will be getting to it shortly), but can't discuss the musical itself because it's not affordable or not in our areas yet?

None of us have seen the musical, but my 7th grader and several of his friends dressed as the Hamilton cast for Halloween.  Most thought mine was George Washington; he had to tell most he was Hamilton from the play.  I love anything that makes history come alive for them; the music and the lessons are wonderful!

• Love 2