Type keyword(s) to search

S42.E04: Tom Hanks / Lady Gaga

• Start Topic

19 hours ago, vb68 said:

And Tom Hanks shows you how it's done.  Truly one of the best hosts ever.  Even when the material isn't that great (like the Halloween song), he can sell the hell out of it.

I thought the CBS parody was going after that show with Dianne Wiest and James Brolin that I can't remember the name of the top of my head.

Life in Pieces (the show with Dianne Wiest and James Brolin) is nothing like the depressing show from the sketch. It's very silly. I don't think the sketch was parodying any CBS shows. I think the joke was that if CBS wants Emmys, it should produce morose half-hour dramas and call them comedies, like Amazon is doing with Transparent.

One thing that irritated me a little bit was that it kind of seemed like they were implying that CBS comedies are unjustly being denied recognition. Even if you took shows like Transparent out of the running, IMO there would still be dozens of sitcoms better than CBS's highest-rated comedies.

5 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I didn't see any mocking. I'm pretty sure Sully is a nice, decent, humble guy with a sense of humor. I can picture him sitting at home watching and laughing his head off. I also didn't see any mocking of soldiers, since it was only the jealous Sully who said anything negative.

Did anyone else imagine how quickly Hanks got out of his Chris Wallace getup in order to come out for the monologue? Actually, there was probably plenty of time since we don't see him as Trump and Hillary give their final words and then we see the opening credit sequence.

I agree that Sully probably enjoyed it - if he's seen it. I took the joke as, "Wouldn't it be hilarious if Sully, who people think is the greatest, noblest man ever, was actually a petty jerk?" While it wasn't a positive portrayal of him, but I can't imagine they were suggesting that Sully is actually like that.

Edited by Blakeston
  • Love 2

Uneven show.  There were some total duds in this one.  The CO, monologue, Black Jeopardy, and Jones' WU bit were nearly classic-level high spots.  But the Ron Howard thing with-- dare I say it-- internet animal videos-- was horrid.  Same for Broken, the faux CBS trailer.  Depression-- yeah, hilarious. [shrugs]  I understand the idea of trying to make depression funny.  Nothing is off limits.  But it isn't enough just to do a sketch about depression, you have to remember the funny part.  Like others above, I was left more confused than amused.  However, I bet Allison Janney was laughing her ass off at that one. 

Edited by JZL
  • Love 2

Life in Pieces (the show with Dianne Wiest and James Brolin) is nothing like the depressing show from the sketch. It's very silly. I don't think the sketch was parodying any CBS shows.

I stand corrected on that.  I have only seemed a couple of episodes of that and it was right when it premiered.  My impression was it was more a dramedy than actual comedy.  That was the only thing currently on CBS that I could think of that might have any awards potential.  I totally agree with you on Transparent. 

I disagree somewhat on "Girl You Wish...." just being Drunk Girl.  Sure there is some of that, but I think Cecily nails that combo of extreme self-absorption and self-righteousness.  "Stop manterrupting me when I'm womxplaining things."  I thought that was very funny.   If she comes a little close to another character, it's Anthony Crispino for me with how she confuses words.  

• Love 2

Monologue: Just seeing Tom Hanks at home base made me smile. He could have just stood there for 3 minutes, but his "Fatherly talk" was so great.Made me think he's talked to his own kids that way.

Which makes it even funnier when you think about Chet Haze's existence.

I disagree somewhat on "Girl You Wish...." just being Drunk Girl.  Sure there is some of that, but I think Cecily nails that combo of extreme self-absorption and self-righteousness.  "Stop manterrupting me when I'm womxplaining things."  I thought that was very funny.   If she comes a little close to another character, it's Anthony Crispino for me with how she confuses words.  

The mispronounced words has become a crutch for the character.  The joke with the Girl You Wish.... is that she's insufferable, not necessarily that she's dumb.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Blakeston said:

I think the joke was that if CBS wants Emmys, it should produce morose half-hour dramas and call them comedies, like Amazon is doing with Transparent.

It was actually the Emmy's themselves who decided half-hour=comedy, hour=drama, after a bunch of hour-long could-go-either-way shows kept submitting as comedies and the academy decided they wanted to put the kibosh on that. So now, any show that might well entirely acknowledge itself as a drama anyway, if it's 30 minutes can only be nominated as comedy. And they're winning theoretically because it's the best 30 minute show, not the actual best comedy. Don't know why they didn't change the category names when they went off time, but yeah...the categorization can't currently be blamed on the shows. But it could be seen as gaming the system to a win to do a super intense drama as a half hour, because it might not win over some of the other hourlong dramas, but might more easily be considered "better" than some of the comedies nominated. Even though personally if something is nominated for best comedy I'd certainly just it on whether it were funny, not just well written...but I digress. And do agree they were saying if CBS wants the trophy the best route is to game the system. Plus CBS' actual comedies right now are mostly dreck.

25 minutes ago, vb68 said:

Yeah, I don't necessarily think of Drunk Girl, but she does remind me of Drunk Uncle crossed with Anthony Crispino, which makes sense since Colin writes all three characters.  However, if they someday revealed that Drunk Uncle was Girl You Wish's uncle, that would make complete sense to me. 

• Love 3

Amazing, amazing episode from start to finish.

Tom's monologue made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. This election has really been starting to get to me (I've had nightmares about it, things are not okay) and this quick little bit legit made me feel reassured that everything was going to be okay. God bless you, Tom Hanks.

Agreed that this iteration of Black Jeopardy is an absolute classic. In a time in our country where things feel so divisive (friendships and even marriages are ending over this election), it's nice to think that even the most seemingly opposite people still have things in common. The "these lives matter" capper was the perfect way to end things. Love Tom's "Wait, I have a lot to say about this!"

I love that pretty much everyone watching the David S. Pumpkins sketch independently thought of Kevin Roberts. Does SNL still do Halloween specials? This is a shoe-in for those for the rest of forever. "Why did you go all in on David Pumpkins?"

"Deleting 33,000 emails is like Lorraine Bracco flushing all the cocaine at the end of Goodfellas."

Go, Leslie! Tell the haters what's what! God, I love her. I hope she writes a book some day. The way she's consistently triumphed over adversity in her life is so admirable.

A Girl's Halloween was way, way too accurate. Even just the parts at the beginning where they were getting ready, they had the feel and pace down perfectly. It takes so long just to leave even when everybody's ready! When Vanessa asked out of the blue if she should paint her nails yellow, I flashed back to all the times in college when we were about to go out and someone decided they needed to make an adjustment to their outfit that would take another half hour. And then it all goes to shit by the end of the night anyway and what color your nails are is so unbelievably irrelevant.

I didn't like the America's Funniest Pets sketch the last time they did it, but it worked in the context of tonight's episode, imo. Maybe because this episode was stronger and I was in a better mood by 12:55.

Lady Gaga is my mom and I would die for her.

Interesting how we'll be having a Brit as the host for the last show before the election (I know, I know, gotta time it with the release of Dr. Strange, synergy, etc.). They could get a lot of comedy out of that, though, maybe have the monologue be about how Britain is totally over us winning the Revolutionary War and is glad we're not they're responsibility anymore.

21 hours ago, SeanC said:

I've seen some people complaining that Baldwin was just doing the opening sketches and then leaving.  I wonder if that influenced him doing another skit this week, or if he just wanted to work with Hanks.  I will, since the debates are over, I imagine the next few shows will find other ways to make use of his very strong Trump impression.  We've pretty much played out the debate format at this point.

I wonder how many more weeks we'll get of Baldwin? There's only one more show until the election. I suppose it will all depend on how long Trump sticks around after the dust settles. I suppose at the very least we'll get a post-election sketch with him.

10 hours ago, peeayebee said:

In WU, what was it that The Girl...Party said to Michael after she "Baaa'ed?" I loved the "American Horror Story: Debates" line.

She called him a "sheeple."

50 minutes ago, JZL said:

Uneven show.  There were some total duds in this one.  The CO, monologue, Black Jeopardy, and Jones' WU bit were nearly classic-level high spots.  But the Ron Howard thing with-- dare I say it-- internet animal videos-- was horrid.  Same for Broken, the faux CBS trailer.  Depression-- yeah, hilarious. [shrugs]  I understand the idea of trying to make depression funny.  Nothing is off limits.  But it isn't enough just to do a sketch about depression, you have to remember the funny part.  Like others above, I was left more confused than amused.  However, I bet Allison Janney was laughing her ass off at that one. 

The sketch wasn't about making depression funny, it was about how all these critically-acclaimed, very serious half-hour dramas (like Transparent) are labeled as comedies because of the new Emmy rules that half-hour shows are comedies and hour-long shows are dramas. CBS doesn't really get Emmy love these days so the joke is that they would be trying to jump on that bandwagon with their own depressing "comedy."

• Love 6
1 hour ago, helenamonster said:

The sketch wasn't about making depression funny, it was about how all these critically-acclaimed, very serious half-hour dramas (like Transparent) are labeled as comedies because of the new Emmy rules that half-hour shows are comedies and hour-long shows are dramas. CBS doesn't really get Emmy love these days so the joke is that they would be trying to jump on that bandwagon with their own depressing "comedy."

While the Emmy rules changes helped codify it, the "comedies that aren't actually funny" trend has been going for a while now.  Transparent had already competed as a comedy under the earlier rules, for instance.

Honestly, I don't think CBS cares about awards. They are slumming it all the way to the bank. But I thought the sketch was funny, anyway.

It depressed me to see Lady Gaga sin about how codependent she is, and her song about the mirror on the ceiling bored me, too. I like her voice and I thought I liked her, but that was weak, generic lyrics.

• Love 1

CBS doesn't really get Emmy love these days so the joke is that they would be trying to jump on that bandwagon with their own depressing "comedy."

I would substitute that for any BROADCAST network show at least on the drama side.  Some actors still get awards show wins on broadcast TV (Allison Janney, who I'm shocked she has yet to host) and some traditional 30 minutes comedies still make the short list, but with the evolving changes in the rules makes it that much tougher for the Big 4 to win big.

David Pumpkins was so crazy and stupid, it was hilarious! When the people watching said he wasn't scary, Keenan says there are 100 floors, not all of them are going to be really scary. They asked, how many floors is David Pumpkins on, and Keenan's like, "73!"

Was Lady Gaga lip-synching? It looked like it to me, especially during the first song.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Trick Question said:

The mispronounced words has become a crutch for the character.  The joke with the Girl You Wish.... is that she's insufferable, not necessarily that she's dumb.

I also noticed this time around she mispronounced a lot more words than normal. They really are leaning on that.

Adding to the love for "Black Jeopardy." Well written, somewhat subtle, and had a solid, timely ending. Props.

The "Broken" piece was completely making fun of Transparent. I know they threw in a dig at Orange is the New Black but no. Completely Transparent. My husband and I loved it because we are just hate-watching Transparent at this point and this sketch nailed almost everything ridiculous about it. From the "clinically depressed all on the same day" to the "My ancestors!" to the oldest daughter touching everything in a room for 30 minutes even down to the colored lights at the dinner table, it was a complete riff on Transparent. The only thing that could have made it even more perfect is if they commented on how Jeffrey Tambor manages to win lead actor in a comedy when he has, no exaggeration, about 60-90 seconds of screen time each episode. And wasn't even IN one episode. The real "lead" is the self-indulgent Ali.

Not enough Bobby Moynihan lately! 

23 hours ago, vb68 said:

Cut for time.  Bruce Chandling brings out a friend during his Update bit.  I liked it, but I know Bruce is an acquired taste.

And because I'm old, I remember Samantha on Bewitched use to say "which witch is which" on occasion.      

I am actually surprised they cut this; this is actually the biggest audience laughs I remember Bruce Chandling getting in awhile.  I noticed that WU seemed short; I wonder if one of the other sketches ran long and so they had to cut it.  I did think it was hilarious though, but like you, I like Bruce Chandling.  

I do think Bruce Chandling is one of those sketches that Seth Meyers and Bill Hader described as "writer's sketches" aka ones that kill in the writer's room, but don't connect with the audience that well so they get cut at dress.  I think Bruce Chandling must appeal to the writers (especially the ones that are standups), because they used to do a lot of pre-taped sketches with him, and they have plenty of WU desk pieces with him, but at least half get cut at dress.  I do think that character is the only one that I've heard make Che legitimately laugh behind the desk (other than Leslie Jones).

In the "Sully" sketch, I for sure thought Sully was going to do something to Alec Baldwin's character and then say "I'm the captain now"

Me tooooooo. I said it aloud as soon as the sketch started and couldn't believe they left it hanging out there. I also assume that was a paid commercial opp for American, since they went out of their way to show the plane SEVERAL times.

Black Jeopardy almost made me cry, and I'm proud that (as a white girl) I got my first answer right: skinny girls are good for NOTHING. (Said with love to all you skinny girls out there. XOXO.)

It sure seemed like Gaga was heavily lip synching the first song, which took me out of the performance, but I loved the shit out of the second one with the exception of the OMGCAMELTOE.

You know what had me unexpectedly laughing so hard at David S. Pumpkins? When Beck said "You really went all in on the David S. Pumpkins thing." That and "He has a middle initial now?"
The "Broken" ad was so it's funny 'cause it's true.  Orange Is The New Black had been submitted as a comedy before the 30 min/60 min rule (which, I didn't even realize was a rule until I looked it up). 
Black Jeopardy - I know these people. I was afraid of where it was going to go, but I liked the common ground. That was a nice touch. But keeping it real with the "lives that matter" at the end.
Girl You Wish... used to be one of my favorite WU characters, but as a few others have mentioned, they are relying too much on the malapropisms, which wasn't previously part of the character. I liked the fake "woke/profound" statements.

The Girl You Wish...used to be funnier and snappier, I guess the term could be, with Seth. She didn't sound THAT drunk with Seth, she was more irritated with her various complaints, and they seemed smarter and more on pointe.

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, cpcathy said:

The Girl You Wish...used to be funnier and snappier, I guess the term could be, with Seth. She didn't sound THAT drunk with Seth, she was more irritated with her various complaints, and they seemed smarter and more on pointe.

She used to be more like someone who just took their first college sociology class and also shares a lot of Upworthy posts. She was sort of like the grown up version of the kids in the high school theater skit - the ones dressed in black who move boxes around.

• Love 3

This time The Girl You Wish...did not work for me at all. I would have rather they had Bruce Chandling and Tom Hanks, the segment was funnier and it was another great way to use an always excellent host.

22 hours ago, helenamonster said:

Then that is one super-weak joke.  Sure, not every sketch is for everyone.  If you don't watch Transparent you won't get it.  If you don't keep track of Emmy rules you won't get it, either, and if you don't care about the Emmy rules you have even less chance of getting it.  So this is targeted to a pretty small audience, which, as you may have now surmised, did not include yours truly.

At least I knew Allison Janney won Emmys for Mom on CBS, eh?

On 10/24/2016 at 11:51 AM, ChromaKelly said:

You know what had me unexpectedly laughing so hard at David S. Pumpkins? When Beck said "You really went all in on the David S. Pumpkins thing." That and "He has a middle initial now?"

Agreed. Beck wasn't the star of the sketch but his enthusiasm helped it come together.

19 hours ago, hendersonrocks said:

I just watched the divine Haunted Elevator/David S. Pumpkins skit again - which I will probably do on the daily along with Black Jeopardy - and just feel like it needs to be said: I could watch 90 minutes of Bobby Moynihan dancing.

Love, love, love Bobby. 

And Tom Hanks--who has won how many Oscars?--going all in on that sketch was awesome. 

• Love 1
On 10/24/2016 at 7:42 PM, hendersonrocks said:

I just watched the divine Haunted Elevator/David S. Pumpkins skit again - which I will probably do on the daily along with Black Jeopardy - and just feel like it needs to be said: I could watch 90 minutes of Bobby Moynihan dancing.

I love Bobby's face while he's dancing. He really doesn't get enough credit on this show.

• Love 3

It's been a long time since I've enjoyed an episode of SNL and it all pretty much has to do with Tom Hanks. I just love the guy. He seems like such an all-around nice guy, is extremely talented, and funny. "Black Jeopardy" was hilarious and my favorite sketch of the night. I also enjoyed a "Girl's Halloween." All in all, it was a great episode. 

On 10/24/2016 at 9:58 AM, cpcathy said:

I think the audio for the singers on the last few episodes was a little too perfect, I am wondering if they are okay with lip syncing now, which would disappoint me.

I can't speak to 21 Pilots, but Lady Gaga and Bruno Mars were indeed singing live - they're both just very, very good and seasoned live performers. In fact, the isolated vocals from Lady Gaga's SNL performance was just released, and you can hear that she was singing live and is the real deal vocally. 

• Love 4
On 10/31/2016 at 10:57 AM, Princess Sparkle said:

I can't speak to 21 Pilots, but Lady Gaga and Bruno Mars were indeed singing live - they're both just very, very good and seasoned live performers. In fact, the isolated vocals from Lady Gaga's SNL performance was just released, and you can hear that she was singing live and is the real deal vocally. 

I'll add The Weeknd to that list too. He is amazing live. It's like he just opens his mouth and beauty comes out. He doesn't even look like he's trying when he hits the notes. One of my favorite concerts I've been too. 

• Love 1