Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E02: A Real Wake Up Call

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

Casey and Dawson find themselves in the midst a potential political mess. Stella has to make a big decision about her ex-beau. The squad responds to an auto accident. Severide befriends a socialite. Brett and Mouch set aside their writing differences for the greater good.

I wasn't really happy that Stella wasn't pressing charges, but I could have done with a lot less of Severide's victim blaming.

I might like the blackmail plot against Casey.  It's something new at least.  And it's nice to see a character facing some actual consequences for their self-centered choices (though I don't think Casey's the worst offender of this at all.)

But there was something so mean spirited about how they wrote out Jimmy.  I was resigned to the character assassination after what they'd done to Chili last season.  But this was something else.  Did they have to melt the poor guy's face off?  Who on Earth did that actor piss off?

• Love 6

I never warmed up to Chili so I was not very disappointed when her character left (how she left was ridiculous), but I did actually like Jimmy. Though part of that is because I liked the actor in other things. New characters do not seem to fair too well on this show. Sometimes they basically disappear and other times their character gets thrown under the bus. I guess do not get too attached. Now Stella is a character I would not mind losing. Something about her character just does not work for me.

• Love 1

The whole Jimmy burning his face off is a horrible exit. They wrote the character into a corner, did a 180 with him from the build up.  It was like punishment for the character/actor. He was a good edition, much better than Stella who they're keeping.

• Love 3

ow Stella is a character I would not mind losing. Something about her character just does not work for me.

She's a blatant writers pet. They've put more of an effort into making her the centre of everything then they've done any new character and some of the older characters.

Theres something about the way they 180'd Jimmy and Chillis characters that I find kind of... Weird. Obviously they didn't cut the type of "family" Boden and the gang want.

• Love 4

I said this when Chilli was axed, and honestly, I think it's true now too: Boden, while a great character, is really inconsistent when it comes to his subordinates and discipline.

I mean, okay, Jimmy was grieving and his behavior, particularly blaming Boden, was completely irrational and disruptive.  But I also remember the pilot of Chicago Fire: in which we had Severide constantly lashing out at Casey for Andy's death both publicly and privately.  The conflict that we saw on screen was incredibly one-sided.  Casey occasionally snapped back, but mostly just took it.  What did Boden do?  He pulls both into the office, snaps at them to fix it.  But there was never any threat of suspension or disciplinary action.  Even when Severide started in on Mouch's mistake during a call.  Nothing.

Chili drinks on the job, admits to it, gets fired.  But Severide can spend a good ten episodes higher than a kite, at one point on painkillers that Shay describes as being too much for Michael Jackson, while hiding an injury that, fortunately, never screwed up a rescue, but that was more luck than anything else.  And again, no indication of any disciplinary consequences.

I like Severide and I wouldn't want him to leave the show.  But except for his demotion last season, which was portrayed as unfair and undeserved, he's never faced any professional consequences for mistakes that torpedoed these newer characters.

I actually do like Stella though.  But honestly, I think her staying power is going to be completely reliant on Dawson's storyline.  As long as Dawson stays a paramedic, Stella will be fine.  The show got a lot of praise for showing female firefighters alongside the men.  I don't think they'll want to lose that.  But if the Louie plot falls through, and Dawson ends up back on truck, I think Stella's days will be numbered.  And we'll get character assassination 3.0.

Edited by squidprincess
  • Love 2

Wowza. Melting Jimmy's face off was rough. As much as I criticize this show it still manages to surprise me from time to time. I mean, that was gruesome and awesome at the same time. There's also the fact that sometimes the way they rip through storylines at lightning speed is a blessing. I was just thinking during a commercial break that I hoped they didn't drag this Jimmy thing out for too long, then blammo! Jimmy's face, gone. I'm also glad we're not going to be spending a whole season with Severide accused of murdering Stella's ex. 

Now, can someone refresh my memory of how Jimmy's brother died and why he blamed Boden? I have a vague recollection of it but I can't remember why Jimmy's brother was even under Boden's jurisdiction since he worked at a completely different station.

I also didn't get why Jimmy reached out to Boden while he was lying there in the hospital. He finally forgives Boden? Why? He just got his face blown off! I think he'd be madder than ever. But maybe he realizes he was the one who disobeyed orders? I dunno.

• Love 2

I so wish they would get rid of the Stella character. Her refusal to press charges against her crazy ass ex and her constant enabling of him are just ridiculous. Se has to see that she isn't doing him any favors with her behavior. He needs help, but it seems she likes the attention she gets from him and almost feeds off of it. Her whole "I know him better than anyone else" and "It's complicated" is bullshit. Did she know he was going to pull a knife and basically attempt to kill her? He's physically harmed her in the past, he's certainly capable of killing her even if it isn't his specific intent at the moment.  Even though she claims to be 'out for good' this time around, how many times have we heard that before? Then he sends her a text or shows up or something and suddenly she's back to enabling him. She has been an awful addition to this show and make women, especially abused women who have had to survive so much, look bad.

Also don't really care for the Louie story. The kid is a cutie, and I know he has had a rough start in life, but I'm getting pretty tired of the sad eyes and constant moping - I don't think we've seen the kid smile even once, and that makes the whole story more depressing and I question whether or not Dawson is a good fit for him. He needs someone who can be around more and not away on overnight shifts. I know on her off days, she has much more time with him, but the irregularity in the schedule and having to leave him with Hermann's wife or a nanny or whomever overnight all the time has got to be tough on a kid who has been through what he has. He must wonder every time she leaves for her shift and is gone for a day or couple days if she is coming back or not. I have a hard time believing they let her be a foster parent, especially as she did it on her own and Casey was not part of it at the time (at least was not going to be helping raise the kid). They did originally deny her and she only ended up with him because the other family that had him couldn't control his behavior and had other kids in the house to think about (and then there was the little push Casey may have given).

Why can't they give us a solid, well written, female character on this show? Brett annoys me to no end as well and the only others we seem to see pop up just to screw Severide for a few episodes and then leave. All of them are written horribly as well - especially that whole Vegas wedding thing and the wife of a couple weeks. What the hell was that? I miss Shay - they never should have killed her off as she, for the most part, had some good complexity and layers and never got too annoying. If she did get annoying, at least it never seemed to last long, unlike Gabby Sue who is nothing but the pure definition of annoying.

Edited by Rapunzel
  • Love 2

I'm really bummed about the Jimmy storyline.  I liked the character and the actor.  I don't like that the writers tuned him from sweet candidate to complete dick. And now he'll never be heard or talked about again,  just like Mills and  Shay.  I'm confused though as to why the chief wasn't saving the woman in the car? After Jimmy gets blown up,  the chief decides she's worth saving?  And where were Jimmy's parents? You would think they would be all over Boden's ass since another tragedy has struck their family in less than a year on Boden's watch.  No mention of them at all, just the 51 crew at the hospital. 

I really wish it was Stella instead of Jimmy. I'm so over her and her scumbag husband. She adds nothing to this show except for Kelly to get laid. 

I'm over Casey and his political career. 

This is now the second week that Louie has been dropped off at the station because something came up with the sitter.  Yet, not once have Herman's kids needed to come by because no one could watch them.  How convenient that Connie's sister is an out of work nanny. 

The Brett and Mouch storyline is really dumb.

Otis and  Cruz need a storyline. 

I don't get why the celebrity guy is so obsessed with hanging out with Severide. I'm over that storyline too. I think I'm just totally over the entire show at this point. 

Edited by juliet73
  • Love 3
8 minutes ago, juliet73 said:

I'm really bummed about the Jimmy storyline.  I liked the character and the actor.  I don't like that the writers tuned him from sweet candidate to complete dick. And now he'll never be heard or talked about again,  just like Mills and  Shay.  I'm confused though as to why the chief wasn't saving the woman in the car? After Jimmy gets blown up,  the chief decides she's worth saving? 

The Chief was trying to save the woman, but he wanted to keep his crew out of danger in case things blew up.  The Chief ordered the crew to put chains on the car and to pull it out of fire range so they could get the woman out safely.  Jimmy was hot under the collar and wanted to push the car out of fire range, insisting that putting the tow chains on it and pulling it out would take too long.  When the Chief just kept telling him to get back, Jimmy went over there to try to push it himself instead of waiting for the truck to pull it out, and that's when the fire that was already going exploded and Jimmy got caught in it.  Then the crew had to put Jimmy out, thus delaying getting the woman out of the car, and she was being towed out of range by that point.

Edited by izabella
  • Love 2

Otis and  Cruz need a storyline. 

Plus there are a couple of tertiary characters like Capp that have never had a storyline. There's another guy on rescue squad whose name I don't even know. (Then again, maybe it's better for the employment longevity of those actors if they don't get a story.)

Would social services really take Louie away from Gabby if this alderman made a big stink about Casey using his influence to help her? It's not as if she profited financially from this. And social services is supposed to prioritize the welfare of the child. Now that he's been placed with Gabby, it benefits nobody to rip him away from her just because of some potentially negative publicity. I think news of this arrangement would result in a collective shoulder shrug at most, frankly. (And it's hard to get invested in Gabby's obsession du jour anyway. Her priority changes are whiplash inducing.)

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 5
7 hours ago, squidprincess said:

I think it's true now too: Boden, while a great character, is really inconsistent when it comes to his subordinates and discipline.

This!

Bodens all about having your back and loyalty.. Once you're in his A gang. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Would social services really take Louie away from Gabby if this alderman made a big stink about Casey using his influence to help her? It's not as if she profited financially from this. And social services is supposed to prioritize the welfare of the child. Now that he's been placed with Gabby, it benefits nobody to rip him away from her just because of some potentially negative publicity. I think news of this arrangement would result in a collective shoulder shrug at most, frankly.

"Local fire fighter fosters foundling!"  Casey is so dumb.  He should just call the news stations and GIVE them the story.

It would be the feel-good "human interest" hero story at the end of a newscast full of murder, shots fired, tax increases, and Cubs heartbreak.

Otherwise, yeah, Chicago would shrug its big shoulders. 

Edited by izabella
  • Love 2

I don't get this whole Louie thing either. sure Casey pulled strings to get Gabby an interview. But that's all he did. He didn't force or persuade anyone to give the kid to her. She still had to make her case for why she should become a foster parent and be allowed to take Louie.

If Casey really wants to maintain his integrity, all he has to do is call a press conference and explain the situation. Or call Susan? the political consultant, or hire a spin doctor to find a way to put the right spin on the story. otherwise he's just going to forever be in Dearing's pocket because he's afraid of upsetting his girlfriend? ::shakes head::

I also agree that Louie needs to be seen MUCH less or at least smile once in a while. I understand the kid has been through a lot, but geez, talk about depressing!

• Love 3
On 10/19/2016 at 10:53 AM, Rapunzel said:

I so wish they would get rid of the Stella character. Her refusal to press charges against her crazy ass ex and her constant enabling of him are just ridiculous. Se has to see that she isn't doing him any favors with her behavior. He needs help, but it seems she likes the attention she gets from him and almost feeds off of it. Her whole "I know him better than anyone else" and "It's complicated" is bullshit. Did she know he was going to pull a knife and basically attempt to kill her? He's physically harmed her in the past, he's certainly capable of killing her even if it isn't his specific intent at the moment.  Even though she claims to be 'out for good' this time around, how many times have we heard that before? Then he sends her a text or shows up or something and suddenly she's back to enabling him. She has been an awful addition to this show and make women, especially abused women who have had to survive so much, look bad.

Also don't really care for the Louie story. The kid is a cutie, and I know he has had a rough start in life, but I'm getting pretty tired of the sad eyes and constant moping - I don't think we've seen the kid smile even once, and that makes the whole story more depressing and I question whether or not Dawson is a good fit for him. He needs someone who can be around more and not away on overnight shifts. I know on her off days, she has much more time with him, but the irregularity in the schedule and having to leave him with Hermann's wife or a nanny or whomever overnight all the time has got to be tough on a kid who has been through what he has. He must wonder every time she leaves for her shift and is gone for a day or couple days if she is coming back or not. I have a hard time believing they let her be a foster parent, especially as she did it on her own and Casey was not part of it at the time (at least was not going to be helping raise the kid). They did originally deny her and she only ended up with him because the other family that had him couldn't control his behavior and had other kids in the house to think about (and then there was the little push Casey may have given).

Why can't they give us a solid, well written, female character on this show? Brett annoys me to no end as well and the only others we seem to see pop up just to screw Severide for a few episodes and then leave. All of them are written horribly as well - especially that whole Vegas wedding thing and the wife of a couple weeks. What the hell was that? I miss Shay - they never should have killed her off as she, for the most part, had some good complexity and layers and never got too annoying. If she did get annoying, at least it never seemed to last long, unlike Gabby Sue who is nothing but the pure definition of annoying.

Stella has been a frustrating and charisma-free character for me also, but the truth is that many abusive relationships are just like this with a push me-pull you dynamic. That's not victim-blaming — it's just the way it works. It's ironically Stella's independence and strength of character that doesn't ring true in this scenario — women (or the victims of whatever gender in the abuse dynamic) who have their own income and friends and support system are usually the ones who can get completely free and see their way clear. The final reveal, that she felt indebted to her ex for "saving" her from her own youthful problems with addiction and whatever else, almost made this make sense but in any case I hope the ex stays in Springfield.

Also this is terribly shallow but I find Stella's storyline so annoying that over time I have found myself incredibly distracted by her EARS when her hair is pulled back. Am I the only one?

The Louie arc is beginning to annoy the everloving shit out of me. I think this is the first episode in which the child has uttered a single word or shown any sign of attachment to either Casey or Dawson. He might as well be furniture or one of the toy fire trucks he's inevitably holding. Or, if it's a deliberate choice, then have them engage with the issue that he is a child with special needs who requires intensive parenting and special interventions. That could actually be interesting.

And I totally agree that the main female characters are basically loons. The most stable, admirable, interesting-to-me-since-Shay-left women on the show are marginal to the main cast: Cindy, Connie, Donna.

On 10/19/2016 at 9:43 AM, iMonrey said:

Wowza. Melting Jimmy's face off was rough. As much as I criticize this show it still manages to surprise me from time to time. I mean, that was gruesome and awesome at the same time.

Yeah, that was incredibly gross, yet I couldn't look away. Oddly, I watched the first two episodes of Chance last night right before catching up on this dumb show, and there is a scene [spoiler alert] in which a guy very graphically gets his jaw half ripped off his face when he is smashed repeatedly against the edge of a dumpster. It was like a double feature of gore the likes of which very recently you would not see on broadcast teevee.

On 10/19/2016 at 11:05 AM, juliet73 said:

I don't get why the celebrity guy is so obsessed with hanging out with Severide. I'm over that storyline too. I think I'm just totally over the entire show at this point. 

(A) What was that about? Is that Insta-guy a real thing? I am an old, don't do Instagram unless it is to look at cute animal or child pics shared by family, and am really over the Severide-deals-with-his-angst-by-partying thing.

(B) I was totally confused by Squad thinking the guy and his pool party and the power line rescue were totally cool instead of the guy being a douchebag wasting public resources and their time.

10 hours ago, MaryHedwig said:

I see her on her off days hanging out at Molly's bar.

Which is the business that she is part owner of. Because running a small business, especially one like a bar is totally something you can do as a hobby.

As far as Stella and her ex goes, why couldn't Severide press charges? He was also attacked with a knife. Not to mention, can't the DA file charges with or without stella (Dick Wolf should have learned more from Law and Order than I have).

Lastly, as a beer geek, that beer they got was from the Netherlands not Belgium. Although cool for them using a real beer made by Trappist monks since the money they make goes to the operation of the monastery with any left over money going to charity.

54 minutes ago, jewel21 said:

Stella's ears are super distracting.

Yeah, I feel a little bad about this by I immediately thought about Dumbo when I saw her with her hair pulled back. I couldn't pay attention to anything else. I know, I'm a terrible person.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, jewel21 said:

Stella's ears are super distracting.

6 minutes ago, Rapunzel said:

Yeah, I feel a little bad about this by I immediately thought about Dumbo when I saw her with her hair pulled back. I couldn't pay attention to anything else. I know, I'm a terrible person.

Thank you I feel so much less alone now. We can be terrible together.

She is a beautiful woman, and then her ears are just so — perpendicular. And large. How can anyone look at that footage (earage? sorry) and not think hmm, maybe a different hairstyle for this shot?

I think about it until I've missed several seconds of [inane because Stella] dialogue.

And now I am officially one of the bullying animals from Dumbo. Officially.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Haha, I just keep thinking why did she never get surgery to get them pinned back. She's pretty enough with her hair down but when it's up I find her really unattractive. And now I'm going to hell.

• LOL 1

Is it just me, or does it feel like Stella's problems with her ex storyline has been going on way longer than most of the other plotlines on this show?  One of the best/worst things about this show since the beginning is how rapidly they chew through storylines, and one reason I am able to keep watching is there's generally at least one plotline I've enjoy, and whichever ones I hate are usually over in no more than 3-4 episodes.  With Stella it seems like every plot she was the center of involved douchebag ex showing up, causing problem or failing to show up when he promised he would, then Stella going "no, I swear he's actually a good person."  That's why I'm getting sick of her.  At least Gabby Sue has had some different types of plotlines, even if the writers don't actually write her well in any of them.

Can someone explain why evil alderman would try to blackmail Casey on getting Gabby an interview with CPS, when it seems like the whole his girlfriend is his subordinate who works on the same truck as him - despite CFD regulations against it- issue would be even better blackmail material?  As others have said, saying look at this alderman who helped his girlfriend navigate CPS red tape so she could foster a poor traumatized orphan who would have been otherwise stuck in an institutional group home wouldn't look that bad to the general public, but I know my eyebrows would be raised if I found out the honest, rule abiding boy scout type I had voted for was actually breaking fraternization regulations rather than having himself or his girlfriend transfer to a different house/shift.

• Love 2
On October 20, 2016 at 4:25 PM, Margherita Erdman said:

(A) What was that about? Is that Insta-guy a real thing? I am an old, don't do Instagram unless it is to look at cute animal or child pics shared by family, and am really over the Severide-deals-with-his-angst-by-partying thing.

Look at your own risk, but I can't help but thinking they were trying to make him out to the be the Chicago version of Dan Bilzerian, who is a skeezy disgusting pig, famous for being a skeezy disgusting pig on social media. His father set him up with a trust fund that he's had no problems wasting and drinking away.

I really am beginning to worry about the little boys playing Louie. I get they want the character to look sad, but what the hell are they telling those kids to make them look so damn sad all the time? I've never met a child who never smiles, not even a little bit, unless there is some serious shit going on. I fear they are going to do actual damage to their little minds getting them to look so sad in every scene. 

• Love 2
18 hours ago, Ailianna said:

Whereas I think it's refreshing to see an actress on network TV who isn't physically perfect.  We see actors who have physical flaws all the time; about time the girls got to be less than perfect.  

I think it is refreshing that we have a show where a woman has a job where she should be wearing her hair back is actually wearing her hair back. I have lost count   how many female doctor, nurses, soldiers etc. I have seen on  tv with long hair that they are somehow able to have down and still be able to do their jobs effectively.

• Love 2

I have lost count   how many female doctor, nurses, soldiers etc. I have seen on  tv with long hair that they are somehow able to have down and still be able to do their jobs effectively.

Not to mention the cleavage. On ER the female doctors all but had their breasts dangling over those comatose patients.

So I agree about Kidd. I also appreciate how Cindy for the most part looks like a normal human being, not to mention Trudy. But what is Gabby doing wearing enough makeup for a Mardi Gras to work?

Edited by MaryHedwig
  • Love 1

I don't get why the celebrity guy is so obsessed with hanging out with Severide. 

Maybe he wants to get into Severide's pants? Now that might be interesting.

I can't help but thinking they were trying to make him out to the be the Chicago version of Dan Bilzerian,

Ugh, you're probably right.

• Love 2
On October 22, 2016 at 11:49 AM, Fostersmom said:

Look at your own risk, but I can't help but thinking they were trying to make him out to the be the Chicago version of Dan Bilzerian, who is a skeezy disgusting pig, famous for being a skeezy disgusting pig on social media. His father set him up with a trust fund that he's had no problems wasting and drinking away.

I really am beginning to worry about the little boys playing Louie. I get they want the character to look sad, but what the hell are they telling those kids to make them look so damn sad all the time? I've never met a child who never smiles, not even a little bit, unless there is some serious shit going on. I fear they are going to do actual damage to their little minds getting them to look so sad in every scene. 

Meh, seems like every kid under 5 on soap operas act like Louis. Confused as to why this stranger is holding them, and staring at their mom off camera

On 2016-10-20 at 4:25 PM, Margherita Erdman said:

Also this is terribly shallow but I find Stella's storyline so annoying that over time I have found myself incredibly distracted by her EARS when her hair is pulled back. Am I the only one?

No; sadly, you are not. It doesn't help that Stella has her hair wrenched back so cruelly whenever there's an angsty scene -- I've started to think of them as the Ears of Woe. I agree that the reveal that she felt indebted to Grant was almost enough to save it, but it didn't really work. I want to like the Stella character. I think the actress is appealing, and, heaven knows, she's selling it. But it's too much too soon. Let me grow to like the character, show -- don't force me to love her.

On 2016-10-24 at 2:11 PM, iMonrey said:

Maybe he wants to get into Severide's pants? Now that might be interesting.

I guess I've been assuming this since Severide pulled the dudebro idiot off the telephone pole at Insta-Jiggy (tm Hermann) Travis's pool party and Travis never took his eyes off Severide -- it was like his own version of the Severide Sex Eye. Insta-Jiggy Travis loves him some Severide!

I also thought McQueen was doing a nice job as the sweet-natured, gung-ho Candidate that everybody loved. His 180 seemed a little contrived, and melting half the face off of Steve McQueen's Grandson (and his Abs) seems like overkill.

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 4
On 10/26/2016 at 1:10 PM, LonelyTown said:

I miss PeterMills :(

He's playing a similar character over on Secrets and Lies.

Set me a place at the "Stella's Ears" table. Seriously, like chimpanzee ears. Yet she looks great with her hair down.

I don’t like Stella either. I think it’s great if they’re trying to include more women as regular characters on the show, but it’s like they’re trying too hard to make me like her.  The sad sack addict boyfriend went on way too long.  By the time they revealed why she was trying to help him despite his knife attack, it was too late.

I found Jimmy annoying and vapid but he was always gentle and polite, then suddenly turned him into a giant ass. Why didn’t he take the offer to work at his deceased brother’s firehouse if he hated Boden so much?  Would rather have Mills back.

Isn’t Gabby just using Louie as a substitute for the baby she lost?  He seemed to have other foster families vying for him.