Type keyword(s) to search

Marriage Boot Camp - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I hope people realize that this is NOTHING like marriage therapy. 

What bugs me -  the show invited Nikko on, in order to create drama.  NOT to solve anything, just to stir things up.  Also - if this "boot camp"  actually gave a shit about these couples, there would not be a fully stocked bar, and then cameras to watch what happens when people drink.   A glass of wine at the end of the day?  perhaps.  But if it were any kind of therapeutic retreat to help people improve relationships,  there would be no booze.

• Love 3

Amber seemed very convinced that she was given the "hardest" question out of everyone. 

There is no "easier" question than "Have you ever cheated on Jim?"  unless you have cheated on Jim.

• Love 4

I was laughing so hard at the DRAMATIC music at Jim and Amber's "ring ceremony".  and did the lady "doctor/counselor/coach" say that was "the most disingenuous display of bullshit I've ever seen?"  because part of it was bleeped. At least they depicted those two as the famewhores they are.

Tanner was hedging his bets, with the ring in his pocket.  just in case Jade didn't have his ring to give him, he had the empty box to say "fine, I don't want you either" so he wouldn't be humiliated.   the ring in his pocket meant he was prepared for either scenario.  He seems like an immature jerk.

Wow. Another group of Z-listers I barely know. So far, I can't say I like anybody. The Duggar ("I'm the 'rebel' Duggar.") and her husband are hiding something. They're going to implode under the pressure. The Bad Girl and her baby's father (Victor?) are already exploding. This season's ex-Bachelorette and her trophy are another fake pair. She's a grinner and he's a nit-picker (that's a ripoff of a joke I'm probably the only one here old enough to remember from "Hee-Haw.") I don't have much of a feel for the others yet. I do think Renee had good instincts when she separated Bad Girl (Gabi?) and her guy ("You take him for a walk.") before the argument escalated any further.

It's going to be an interesting season.

• Love 4

Dr V  (or Vee?  I don't know)  bugs me to no end. Her "serious voice" when she tells couples how this boot camp is gong to change their lives, her overly-contoured makeup, her Farah Fawcett hair  -  she's terrible.  

• Love 6

Emotions collide in a deadly car crash; couples must say final goodbyes, but Amy won't commit and Ashley bursts into tears; a gruesome twosome wreaks havoc over Boot Camp, pushing one spouse over the edge.

This does seem like the worst season yet.  I know absolutely none of these obnoxious people by sight.  I do know the name "Duggar."  I also laughed out loud when they hyped that they had bagged a Duggar for this season and then the Duggar in question comes in and announces she the clan's rebel cousin.  Oy vey!

• Love 2
17 hours ago, backformore said:

I must admit, I have no idea what this means.

SpongeBob twin?  That's what the girls on Bad Girls Club called Gabi and her twin sister when they were on the show.  Renee is just Renee from Mob Wives…I've seen her schtick and it gets old fast. 

So for each couple, one plays dead - with horror makeup and everything, and the counselors, in solemn voices proclaim "there's been an accident."  The partner is supposed to fake grief, break down, cry?   And then when a couple gets out of character and starts laughing (I would do the same)  it's "Do you think this is a joke?"   Good Lord!  Dr. V seems so condescending, like she's the vice principal talking to junior high kids.  

• Love 1

Sexy spouse swap forces couples to dance outside of their relationships; Renee's injury sparks tension; Joe gets down and flirty with Amy; one spouse makes a shocking confession involving their wondering eye.

Wow no comments yet three days after airing?  Tells you how unpopular this show is.  Why am I the only idiot watching it? :)

I just had to comment that I am ticked off that no one calls these people when they are emotionally abusive, or disrespectful.  Then again, that would be most of what's aired on the show.  What particularly angers me is the way that skinny loser dude (sorry, don't know names of these jackasses yet) talked to his girlfriend, the twin.  Maybe her twin is rude, but I think she has a point, this guy is disrespectful and needs to grow up.  He called his girlfriend's twin a "ho" several times and no one told him that was wrong.  These "doctors" are full of beans.

• Love 1

Surprise guests ambush the couples and reveal their darkest childhood secrets; Amy faces her traumatic upbringing while PreMadonna has an intense breakthrough; Judge Toler's punishment brings the men to tears.

If the "doctors" were sincere about helping marriages, they wouldn't have invited the twin sister to be there at all.  The couple's first allegiance has to be to each other, and the doctors need to help them  enforce a healthy boundary to keep the twin OUT of the marriage.  

Hmmm I think I watched 2 of these tonight in my usual spotty way.  I was thinking that hour was really long, and I think it was 2 episodes.  What I recall is the kids telling a little of the story of each of the participants.  Good move.  Hadn't seen that technique before.  Amy had a rough time as a child emotionally. She really seems an immature adult, but it's her personality I guess.  Many reasons for it.  Of all things, a visit with Uncle Jim Bob could have been a stable influence in her life.  How about that!  At least that family had married parents who wanted their kids..  Seems she was told she wasn't wanted.  Then the dancing, Dillon seemed to do well with his partner and the exercise.  Amy can't seem to bring herself to be serious or even just have fun without flintiness. Dillion looks like he's not half bad.

• Love 1

Wow this show really is popular ain't it?!  Just wanted to say a felt a little bad for Dillon this episode.  It's not fun being ganged up on like that.   True he does speak very condescending towards Amy but  having everyone dog pile him isn't going to help anyone.

• Love 1

Dr v' s outfit, the maroon high waist  polyester bell bottom pants, with the ruffle blouse tucked in, is a lot like something I wore in the 70's.   Except I didn't have that weird scarf hanging down the back.

The rest of the episode was just weirdly uncomfortable.   The sex puppet exercise is not at all helpful, it is only for the benefit of  the cameras,  humiliating people for entertainment purposes.

• Love 1

The puppet exercise was horribly cringey, clearly a cheap gimmick for the cameras.  I understood how talking about sex was important though. JP and Ashley annoy me.  This is what you signed up for. This is how you got together. Get over it and stop acting holier than thou about it. I can see why the other couples are frustrated by them. Of course, I would not be comfortable either talking about my sex life on television and with other couples, but come on.

Having said that, they're by far the sanest couple on the show. I despise everything the Duggars stand for, and I found Amy annoying on 19 Kids, but she's pretty likeable here.  Well, in comparison to some of the other couples, at least.

Edited by EarlGreyTea
  • Love 1

I watch this show and find it fascinating. I keep forgetting there's a forum for it, though. To reply to your comment, if Dillon weren't such a condescending jerk, everyone wouldn't have noticed it and commented on it. I've met a lot of men like that in my past, but then I'm older than all these couples. I'd never have dated one, much less married one.

A surprise lie-detector test drops truth bombs on the couples. Later, deception is indicated; a single's night out on the town leads to a house fight; and the cops are called.

So Renee kicked the boyfriend to the curb.  She needed to send his ass packing. Gabby & Baby Daddy also went their separate ways. Good.  Then, they showed a snippet of what's next. Family Bootcamp. Guess who's on with her mom..... Yep, Kendra Basket. Can this girl not get another job besides being on reality teevee? Man, she is thirsty.

• Love 3

I'm glad Renee and Joe are done. They didn't like each other so what was even the point.

Best wishes to everyone

I don't know if I can handle Kendra and Farah in the same season.  Bring on the valium

• Love 2

I watched this season, but I think I have to be done.  If a marriage is in trouble, a "boot camp"  might be a good idea, if it were run by people who know what they're doing, and CARE about helping couples improve their relationships. 

Here's what you DON'T do if you want to help couples :

• Provide a bar stocked with all kinds of alcohol.
  • declare a "hall pass" where they give up wedding rings, go to a dance club, are encourage to act single (do they arrange for others to hit on the contestants?)
  • shame those who may have "crossed a line"  in a club after you encourage them to do so by talking about a "hall pass"
  • Have hidden recording devices to capture all interactions
  • encourage couples to discuss their sexual practices (and act them out with puppets)  in a public forum
  • Make people take lie detector tests and ask them about their THOUGHTS and behavior.  Especially thoughts.  it's OK to have private thoughts.
  • set up scenes where one person is dead and the other has to respond to their death, criticize them if they don't take it seriously.
  • condescendingly use shame and guilt to manipulate  people.

this show has nothing to do with helping people, and everything to do with putting a reality show on TV to embarrass and humiliate them. 

• Love 8

Holy shit, Farrah is a fucking drama queen. If your mother beat the shit out of you, why would you have your daughter in her care? I want to hear from Michael on the matter. I know Deborah is a whack job but seriously.

• Love 10

I was thinking the same thing about Kendra. I'm pretty sure Patty sold her out to the tabloids but she maintained her composure much better than her daughter. 

If this is a reenactment of scenes in their real life relationship Kendra is a terrible actress. Tone it down, honey.

• Love 3

Omg.  Farrah is awful.  Attitude.  She has turned herself into a blonde kardashian. And her mom is desperately trying to keep up, having her own surgeries and wearing clothes that are WAY age inappropriate. 

Count me in to watch this train wreck!

• Love 11