Type keyword(s) to search

• Start Topic

54 minutes ago, Temperance said:

The bracket is something new they're trying.  Just doing "the news, interviewing and having desk visits" would be like what Jon did.(I also think Jon's best years were under Bush. )

This is actually the 2nd year they've done Third Month Mania. Last year, they had people vote on "the thing that makes you the maddest." The winner was "Trump supporters."

• Love 1

I think the equivalency with the ACA and now isn't quite accurate. I thought Democrats solicited input from the GOP and they refused. I also thought there were hearings and meetings and it took 15 months to pass. 

• Love 6

Are you saying that Trevor said there was an equivalency betw them? I thought he was just pointing out how hypocritical (again) the Repubs are. But, yes, the ACA took over a year, while the ACHOO took less than a month. 

I enjoyed Trevor's take on this "health care" bill fiasco. 

Shepherd Smith reading Trump's quote was outstanding. 

I never noticed that Manafort does look kinda like Stallone.

"I ubered in his shoe" made me giggle quite a lot.

Ronnie's Aussie story was great. That Aussie was just ridiculous, punchable, and mockable.

• Love 4
19 minutes ago, Miss Dee said:

When did Ronny become so damn funny? The story was ridiculous, but it was his comments and delivery that threw it over the top.

I don't care if he's faking it or feeling it, but his eye-rollingly disgusted delivery is everything.

• Love 5

Hahahahaha Ronny was great! We have a show in Australia called The Weekly with Charlie Pickering that is basically an Australian version of Last Week Tonight. Charlie did a very funny segment this week on that same goon-drinking, crocodile-baiting idiot (hopefully not geoblocked).

Edited by purist
  • Love 7
21 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Are you saying that Trevor said there was an equivalency betw them? I thought he was just pointing out how hypocritical (again) the Repubs are. But, yes, the ACA took over a year, while the ACHOO took less than a month. 

Yes, that was my take. He was saying the Democrats were saying the same thing the GOP is saying now, and that's just not how it went down. 

• Love 3

I'm also loving the "Ain't no one got time for that" pieces. Events that in any other presidency would be the story of the year now only rate the briefest of highway accident rubbernecking moments.

Fucking crazy times.

• Love 11

Trevor wasn't technically correct in the bit about United. The girls were asked to change clothes because they were traveling under an employee pass. United has a dress code for employees. That doesn't mean there isn't something wrong with their dress code, but he made it sound like anyone can be asked to change clothes by a United gate agent, and that's not the case. 

• Love 9

Yeah..i work for a airline  (not united) and we have a similar dress code if we or anyone travelling with us are flying on a pass as you are considered a representative of the airline whether you are working or not . If those are the rules to fly for free then follow them.  Are the outdated? Possibly but those are the rules and whoever's gave them the pass should have told them that. The problem was that people got outraged and posted things on social media without knowing the whole story.  Notice it was another passenger not actually involved  (Not any of the girls not their parents) who threw a fit. This story got way out of hand because it was misrepresented from the start United wasn't telling regular passengers what to wear. 

• Love 7

It's really not even a story. I get Trevor's point, but he could have made a more emphatic point by being accurate. We are so saturated with Trump inanity that we're turning something like this into a major news story. 

• Love 3

So did anybody else see that video hijacking on tonight's show?

For those of you who didn't catch it, it came right after Trevor's bit about dads and cigarettes. They suddenly break in with a ballerina spinning on top of a music box.  The URL thepresidentshow.ru is displayed (have not visited, thank you kindly), and there's a swift cut to a pic of Soviet soldiers, a tank, and a creepy shot of a man in a horse costume. There are various menacing deep noises, a la The Ring. Then we're back to Trevor. It's maybe seven seconds long. 

Viral marketing? A genuine Russian intrusion? It was damn creepy. 

Edited by Wilbur Whateley
Decided maybe it wasn't faux or marketing after all
  • Love 3

Yeah, I saw that Russian(?) video intrusion when I watched the show on CC tonight.  And I have Comcast.   I didn't know if it was some sort of video hack on The Daily Show or Comcast.

Or some sort of viral marketing.  I was checking Twitter, and I didn't see any bit response about it.

• Love 2

I have DirecTV and experienced the same whatever that was.  My theory....   The daddy-went-out-for-cigarettes-and-never-came-back  bit got really awkward.  It went on so long, and Trevor was so sincere, that the audience truly didn't know whether to laugh or rush up and give Trevor a hug and a cup of hot cocoa.  So, the only "graceful" way out of that bit was to have it suddenly get "hacked", and then poof! we're on to a new segment.

Maybe the producers have a little folder of Abort! Abort! interruptions they can toss onto the screen any time a segment is clearly tanking.

• Love 2

I saw the Russian-type video, too. Here's a little info about it.

I thought the opening segments were pretty good. I had recently seen those pics of Trump pitching, and they're hilarious. Loved when Trevor said Trump looked like he was afraid of the ball he was throwing would hit him in the face. "Baseballs, eagles… Everything American scares Donald Trump." And then that singing! Argh, my ears! "Kellyanne Conway had to come out and explain he was hitting alternative notes."

"We should've just given him a Fisher Price Presidential set." If only.

BTW, Trump played baseball thruout his school years, I believe, and was even scouted by a couple of pro teams, so I'm surprised at his awkward throwing. Maybe it's just age or a physical ailment, although his doctor said he's the healthiest President ever.

• Love 4

Here's the thing about the "Tweet bracket" that annoys me - it more or less "normalizes" Trump. There's just nothing funny about it whatsoever. I was also extremely annoyed by Trevor saying "Say what you want about President Trump but isn't he cute?" I know he meant it facetiously but - no. Trump is not cute, Trump is not funny, there is nothing amusing about any of this. I enjoy when Trevor points out the hypocrisies in a comical way but acting like this is just silly and funny is infuriating. Too often I don't really get the sense that Trevor appreciates or comprehends the gravity of the situation the way (say) John Oliver or Samantha Bee do. Or even the way Jon Stewart did. It's why I'm less and less inclined to watch this show after coming back to give it a 2nd chance. Trevor has improved since his debut but the show overall? Not so much. Still a mere shadow of its former self.

• Love 3

I think the main thing is that he doesn't have any control over who his audience is. If the stadium were filled with Trumpites, he wouldn't mind throwing out the first pitch because he'd get a standing ovation. But, yes, he would get booed at the very least.

• Love 9

Those photos of trump trying to pitch were hilarious.  what a facial expression.  I'm sure he doesn't want to do it now because (1) fear of boos; and (2) fear of messing up (and you know he hates to be shown making mistakes).

Trevor has been pretty biting in his comedy lately.

I loved the Michelle Wolf piece.

• Love 5

Jordan Klepper is getting his own show after the Daily Show this fall. No word yet on what they'll do with The Trump Show, or I guess the high judge show. But yay CC for stacking the schedule with almost exclusively white males! Ugh.  Roy Wood, Jr's comedy special was hilarious. I'd love to see what else he could do, or Michelle Wolf, maybe.  

• Love 1

I won't be sorry to see Jordan go but wish him well. Best case scenario, he'll be able to get across his own voice like Sam has.

Hasan leaving would sting but I feel like he's already halfway out the door with his standup tours and other projects. Any sharply wry Hispanic comics out there, feel free to apply.

• Love 5

I like Jordan. He played the tool, but he did it well. Is anybody from the late Jon era left? I mean, aside from Lewis Black, who pops in like the bitter grandpa (and I say that with love). I'm think Roy would be the alpha guy now. I dug his special. One day, perhaps I'll get a wristband from him.

• Love 7

I didn't know black twitter was a thing, but I found all the barbershop bits really funny. I liked the interview. Trevor: Here's what pro-life people say. Dr: Here's why that is ridiculous. 

• Love 5

I like Jordan. He played the tool, but he did it well. 

Exactly, he was so perfect at being That White Guy. And then he tossed it all away at Trump rallies—he gave zero f**ks about telling people to their faces that they were idiots. I lived for that! 

Hasan leaving would sting but I feel like he's already halfway out the door with his standup tours and other projects.

I'd miss the hell out of him, but I'd watch whatever he went on to do. He's my favorite.

• Love 5

Was Michelle high?That clip of the latest F&F film made it look hihilariously rubbish.

In the uk showing, there was a jarring cut during the Third Month Mania segment, right after the Steve Jobs tweet bit. Was it the same in the US?

11 hours ago, Gulftastic said:

Was Michelle high?That clip of the latest F&F film made it look hihilariously rubbish.

In the uk showing, there was a jarring cut during the Third Month Mania segment, right after the Steve Jobs tweet bit. Was it the same in the US?

I noticed a weird cut as well. I'm assuming that when they filmed it they featured more tweets but had to cut them out for time.

On 4/4/2017 at 2:12 PM, ganesh said:

I didn't know black twitter was a thing,

Gah, I hate twitter (and no thanks to trump) as a means of communication.  There's so much crap on it, how does anyone ever figure out wtf is going on.  How do you know what hashtags to use or not?  How do you find out the right hashtag to find the info you want.  Ahhh, get off my lawn.  and I'm officially too old for this tech.  grumble.

• Love 5

I love Twitter. I don't tweet, but for me it's a good way to find out what's happening in the news -- from current events to pop culture -- and to read some funny jokes. It all depends who you're following. 

• Love 3

I know, right? Where is Trevor during the holiday week? I would hope Comedy Central would invest in a mini-studio wherever Trevor lives, even if they have to build one in South Africa when he's visiting family.

I am liking the idea of "A Moment Of Them." This isn't the best TDS team ever assembled, but there's a lot of potential.

ETA: Ronny Chieng in Chinatown for the win. And I'm hoping Hasan's post-election concerns gets aired on Thursday.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

This isn't the best TDS team ever assembled, but there's a lot of potential.

It may be the most diverse TDS team, though? Unfortunately for me as a viewer, being a Daily Show correspondent is not the end goal for any entertainer's career and they all eventually move on.

Which reminds me how much I still miss Jessica Williams.

Edited by Lord Donia
  • Love 5

For all the lack of knowing how to run the government and delusional rhetoric, not putting your hand on your heart during the anthem is so far down on my list that you'd need sonar to find it. I never knew that was a thing anyway. I've never done it. The most telling thing about the clips they showed was just how continually inept Trump is at public speaking if he doesn't have something to read off. 

The interview was fantastic and also sad because no one in the administration knows how economics work. 

• Love 3

Putting his hand on his heart is no big deal in general, and certainly the least of this administration's problems.  However, it's one in a long, long list of signs that Trump is losing his marbles and forgetting things, like which country we are bombing (Syria instead of Iraq), focusing on the deliciousness of the chocolate cake he was eating while telling Xi of China that we are bombing Iraq, Syria, some country, forgetting to sign an EO during a ceremony set up specifically to publicize the signing of the EO, and forgetting to put his hand over his heart.

Plus, it's interesting to see Melania nudging him, just like Nancy Reagan nudged Ronnie and whispered his words to him when he started forgetting things as his Alzheimer's took hold.

Edited by izabella
  • Love 4
4 minutes ago, izabella said:

Putting his hand on his heart is no big deal in general, and certainly the least of this administration's problems.  However, it's one in a long, long list of signs that Trump is losing his marbles and forgetting things, like which country we are bombing (Syria instead of Iraq), focusing on the deliciousness of the chocolate cake he was eating while telling Xi of China that we are bombing Iraq, Syria, some country, forgetting to sign an EO during a ceremony set up specifically to publicize the signing of the EO, and forgetting to put his hand over his heart.

Plus, it's interesting to see Melania nudging him, just like Nancy Reagan nudged Ronnie and whispered his words to him when he started forgetting things as his Alzheimer's took hold.

We are still less than 100 days into this goddamn presidency...

• Love 5

I get the point. But if Trump wasn't someone who put his hand on his heart in the first place, it's not something he forgot to do. In the larger context, regardless of Trump, I'm a little over the only way to do patriotism is THIS WAY, and that's that. Of course, if that was Obama, they'd be filing articles of impeachment. 

In a larger context, piling on him for this imo takes away from when he should be really criticized, like they were pointing out in the interview that he doesn't really have any policy positions. 

• Love 4

I was glad to see Trevor address the parade images from Spain and put the kibosh on further rumors and misplaced outrage. Still, the look on his face when he originally saw it was everything.

Wonder why he was on vacation with a male friend instead of his girlfriend.

• Love 1