Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E01: The Hose Or The Animal

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

Severide and Stella are on the lookout for a very unstable Grant, who left Chicago Med without notice. Now that Dawson is responsible for Louie, she questions her dangerous career path as a firefighter. Casey continues his work as Alderman but his relationship with his political consultant, Susan Weller, cools. Problems continue for Borrelli, who still blames Chief Boden for the death of his brother, and the situation reaches a boiling point. Meanwhile, Mouch and Brett start off on a new venture together.

Can I just say how tired I am of seeing Boden and Severide jointly screw up one or both's careers?  I mean, how did he THINK it would look to suspend Jimmy right after a complaint?  And then Severide going to Jimmy's house is likely to make it look even worse.  Like he was doing it on Boden's behalf.  It's really aggravating after watching them dig themselves in even deeper last year.

I'm not sold on the Antonio-Brett pair up yet, but Gabby's face was pretty priceless.

On one hand, I'm glad to see Severide get a story that's a bit more than just who he's sleeping with.  But at the same time, I'm going to be a little annoyed if we end up spending a lot of episodes dealing with him almost killing/possibly killing Grant.  Especially when Casey actually killed a dude last season and it was never mentioned again.  Though I suppose they can always bond over it?

• Love 3

Looks like this season is going to continue with "The Gabby Show."  Dawson is the worst part of this show that is called Chicago Fire; not Dawson Fire or Chicago Dawson. How and why did she become the focal point of the show?

• Love 7

While Dawson and the writers obsession with her drive me crazy I have to say the other two lead females aren't that appealing other. Stella has some potential but I feel like she was forced on us way too soon. She wasn't just introduced and then integrated over the course of the season - she was in the centre of everything, everyone thought she was amazing/crazy/the bestest and she was the one to ~change Severide all before her first episode ended. 

Sylvie is more Dawson then Dawson when she starts getting focus. 

• Love 2

Every season we have Boden losing the house, almost losing the house, getting suspended, almost being replaced. Yawn. Come up with something new. 

Hmmm. It's never a bad thing when Antonio shows up.  Looking GOOD, Jon Seda. 

And yeah, Dawson's face during the Antonio-Brett flirtation was great. I like it when she says nothing and lets the others enjoy some screen time. 

• Love 5

Now Gabby is not only a saint, she is the Madonna.  Ugh. Go away Gabby.

I wish Severide would get a decent haircut. 

Sick of Jimmy, the "little prick." So unbelievable. And Boden truly is the dumbest chief in terms of human resources handling so now we get to spend the season with him nobly whisper talking and standing his ground and being persecuted by the higher ups. The other Chicagos have awesome fast storyline pacings--something happens at the beginnng of the show, it's almost always wrapped up by the end. This show, thougn, just drags things on and on and on. 

• Love 6

Every season we have Boden losing the house, almost losing the house, getting suspended, almost being replaced. Yawn. Come up with something new. 

Not only that, but every season we have Gabby deciding she wants to change careers. And little Louis looks like he's petrified of everything around him. Can't say as I blame him.

Hard to believe we're already into the fifth season of this show. Maybe that's because it keeps repeating itself. 

I guess I did get a chuckle out of them trying to figure out who was writing the romance blogs.

• Love 1

I didn't mind Gabby this time.  Her career change makes sense given the situation with Louie.  Honestly, I have always liked her better as a paramedic.

Did something happen with Steve McQueen off camera?  Because he started off so promisingly and now he's poor Chili redux.

I also didn't get Boden's denial of his request to go back to Truck.  He hadn't lost the position because of incompetence. He willingly took the paramedic job because Stella ended up bumping him. 

I guess grief might be a reason, but Boden's always been a bit inconsistent with that (wasn't Casey back at work the very next episode after Hallie died?)

• Love 1

Herman and his wife are always struggling over money so why don't Matt and Madonna actually Pay her to be Louie's caregiver.  He would be in a place they know with someone they trust.  Oh and if Gabby isn't getting enough Severide lets them have his apartment. Really?   Speaking of apartments how does Stella afford that apartment of hers on one salary.

• Love 4

I think it's Casey's apartment, if it's anyone's.  It was originally Casey and Gabby's, but then Casey invited Severide to stay, post Shay, and Dawson left when they broke up.

I'm not sure why they didn't just decide to go back to that apartment to begin with.  Even if Severide stayed, there would have been more room than the garage apartment.

• Love 2

Or, I don't know, rather than Casey moving into Herman's garage attic one-room apartment with Saint Gabby and the baby, why didn't Casey and Gabby go rent a real apartment? They make really good money together, they can afford it. I'm going to guess that Severide doesn't have the only apartment in all of Chicago--why turn it over to Casey no matter whose it was originally? And sure, Herman, Severide is really going to want to live over your garage--who wouldn't want the Herman family keeping track of your comings and goings. This show--I just can't quit you but you are driving me crazy!

• Love 3

Wasn't Casey buying a house when he was engaged to the woman who died?  Did he decide not to buy the house?  I could have sworn he was renovating the house, painting and stuff. 

In any case, he and Gaby should be able to afford an apartment.  Why are they pretending that Chicago doesn't have nice apartments pretty much everywhree, pick your budget and find one.  It's not NY where you need millions just to rent a shoebox.

• Love 4

I'm taking the opposite tack with regards to Jimmy's suspension.  Boden gave him a direct order to see him in the office, as a Battalion Chief has a right to do.  Jimmy was outright insubordinate when he refused first that order, and then stated "I don't take orders from you" in a very confrontational tone.  That in itself merits an immediate suspension, the course of which should be documented in detail by Boden, with supporting statements from every witness in the dining hall at the time. But of course, the upper brass see fit to restore Jimmy to the job he wanted on the truck, thereby cutting Boden off at the knees.

• Love 4

Or, I don't know, rather than Casey moving into Herman's garage attic one-room apartment with Saint Gabby and the baby, why didn't Casey and Gabby go rent a real apartment? They make really good money together, they can afford it. 

The apartment switching sort of left me scratching my head too because I couldn't remember why wherever the hell Severide is staying now would be any better than where Gabby is staying. They've been playing musical houses for five seasons now. But - while I don't know where exactly this fire station is supposed to be located - it's possible any decent places within a reasonable distance are way out of their price range. It's Chicago, after all. Fire fighters don't get paid that much. They have the best benefits package in the world, bar none, and are paid decent, but not Downtown Chicago Apartment money, necessarily. I don't know how much an alderman makes either.

Casey and Gabby got the apartment at the end of season 2, IIRC.  It likely does matter because Severide may never have signed a lease.  But it really seems silly that they didn't live there to begin with.  From what we've seen of it, the apartment is a lot bigger than the garage apartment, even if Severide keeps his room.

I always wondered how Casey could afford the house he had in season 1, let alone the apartment now.  Maybe his father had substantial death benefits or something?

Edited by squidprincess

Gabby had moved out and wasn't living with Casey. Casey/Severide were living together,so  when Gabby wanted the kid she had to move out of Brett's place. It wasn't a joint decision to foster/adopt the child, it was all Gabby.

The Boden drama is wash rinse repeat. Last year's abuse storyline is this years killed the firefighter. 

Where to begin... Gabby is fostering Louie and living with Casey (again). So instead of working different shifts so someone can take care of Louie,  they have Cindy watch him!?!? Because she has nothing else going on?!  Doesn't she have like 4-5 of her own kids to take care of?  Now she has to take care of a special needs toddler for 24-48 hours?!  And if something comes up and Cindy can't watch him, well then the crew at the fire station is always available! They got nothing going on!   Give me a break! And who's watching Louie when Gabriel is hanging out at the bar?  

The Mouch/Silvie storyline is lame. 

Why can't Jimmy be transferred to another house? 

I don't care about Stella or her crazy husband. I wish he would have killed her!

On a positive note, Gabby's reactions/facial expressions about Antonio and Sylvie were great! 

• Love 2
21 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

I'm taking the opposite tack with regards to Jimmy's suspension.  Boden gave him a direct order to see him in the office, as a Battalion Chief has a right to do.  Jimmy was outright insubordinate when he refused first that order, and then stated "I don't take orders from you" in a very confrontational tone.  That in itself merits an immediate suspension, the course of which should be documented in detail by Boden, with supporting statements from every witness in the dining hall at the time. But of course, the upper brass see fit to restore Jimmy to the job he wanted on the truck, thereby cutting Boden off at the knees.

I was right there with you until Boden threatened to physically harm one of his subordinates, in front of the Union president no less.

As far as Gaby goes if she is having such a hard time being away from tbe kid and finding child care why was she at the bar hanging out and drinking with Brett?

Also nice work CPD not being  able to find a crazy stalker hanging out in front of his ex's two different places of work.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Kel Varnsen said:

As far as Gaby goes if she is having such a hard time being away from tbe kid and finding child care why was she at the bar hanging out and drinking with Brett?

I thought that it was just me....You've been a mother for two days and at work for most of that time...I guess you really needed a break

Edited by Guildford
  • Love 3
22 hours ago, Guildford said:

I thought that it was just me....You've been a mother for two days and at work for most of that time...I guess you really needed a break

The fact that she even got the kid amazes me considering she is single (or was at the time), her main job requires her to work long hours and is dangerous, plus her second job was as part owner of a local bar which should also require a lot of work. 

• Love 1
On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 9:32 AM, ChicksDigScars said:

This!!  The writers really need to come up with some new drama for Boden.  Every season his job is in jeopardy.

Faithful viewer from the beginning and through all the nonsense until this episode. I couldn't muster up a single care for any of it. Who are these people?  Officially deleted from my dvr with no regrets. Bleh. 

On 10/12/2016 at 9:33 AM, MakeMeLaugh said:

The other Chicagos have awesome fast storyline pacings--something happens at the beginnng of the show, it's almost always wrapped up by the end. This show, thougn, just drags things on and on and on. 

Which is ironic considering how many complaints people have had through the seasons that they whip through storylines too fast on this show--injuries healed over the winter break, lawsuits resolved in a couple episodes, and so on.

On 10/13/2016 at 4:55 PM, Kel Varnsen said:

Also nice work CPD not being  able to find a crazy stalker hanging out in front of his ex's two different places of work.

Because Chicago PD has no other calls to answer or crimes to solve.  Especially after the ex calls them off because he went to a friend's house and she feels safe.  And since the only thing they had to even consider was that he left the hospital against medical advice, and even the hospital doc couldn't say he was dangerous.  Not exactly a situation that screams someone who should be on the most wanted list, or who should be so prioritized that cop cars are required to be stationed outside said ex's work place in case he decides to wander by.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Ailianna said:

Because Chicago PD has no other calls to answer or crimes to solve.

But, but, but, these are really attractive firefighters/paramedics in peril.  That takes priority over almost everything, with the possible exception of really attractive nurses/doctors in peril.

This show is about firefighters the same way that Pitch is about baseball. It's a soap where the characters happen to dress in turnout coats and wear rubber boots. My sis in law was once married to a firefighter and always hated any TV show about firefighters because they all turned into soaps (L. A. Firefighters I'm looking at you.)

Am I the only one who thinks Hothead Jimmy is the one on fire in the previews?

• Love 1

Well, I've given this four years and CF has proven that way back in the beginning of LO:Mothership Dick Wolf was right: regular character background story arcs wreck the series premise.

I have been watching Fire rapidly for three years now, because Shay is dead and I forward through all the Gabby stuff, and lots of Severide, and when he's being a stupid boss, Boden.  Last night, though, the only bits I slowed down for were the calls, and they were brief.  In fact, I spent more time watching the commercials (which would not fast forward) then all the rest of it.  So I'm out; I may dip in occasionally during crossovers, but I don't want to wear out the fast-forward button on the remote.  

On 10/11/2016 at 8:09 PM, squidprincess said:

I'm not sold on the Antonio-Brett pair up yet, but Gabby's face was pretty priceless.

It was a nice change of pace, for a fleeting moment, to have the focus not being on her as a character and be reminded that she has a lot of charm and skill as an actress when she's not enveloped in a pulsating neon glow halo of Mary Sue. I loved her on Lie to Me and she was fine on The Good Wife too, but on this show I spend most of her onscreen time wishing her into the cornfield.

On 10/12/2016 at 0:33 AM, Chas411 said:

Sylvie is more Dawson then Dawson when she starts getting focus. 

I actually like Sylvie — I think when used properly she has a 1930s screwball comedy vibe that fits nicely, and the secret-romance-novel-junkie-reveal, and collusion with Mouch, is an entertaining little subplot.

On 10/12/2016 at 6:33 AM, MakeMeLaugh said:

Now Gabby is not only a saint, she is the Madonna.  Ugh. Go away Gabby.

Not just in characterization, but gah, a newly minted foster mom who goes to her firefighting shift in three layers of fake eyelashes and smoky eyeshadow and perfect contouring and a full berry lip in order to LOOK the part of a Goya madonna.

On 10/12/2016 at 7:41 AM, iMonrey said:

Not only that, but every season we have Gabby deciding she wants to change careers. And little Louis looks like he's petrified of everything around him. Can't say as I blame him.

I cannot overstate how much I dislike this storyline. It is still SO DIFFICULT and extremely rare for women to even qualify as firefighters anywhere in this country, much less hold their own in the physically and emotionally demanding (and often hostile, because of macho firefighter culture) environment. So to have a character get through and make it only to forget her "lifelong" dream of firefighting at the first maternal pang is appalling to me.

And I say that as someone who radically rerouted my own career because of motherhood. I have no problem with that; it is a real and genuine thing.

I just think it is irresponsible and repellent to romanticize the pull of a child to throw away a dream in a traditionally male-dominated profession, especially on a network TV show that could otherwise inspire girls and women to think of themselves in that profession, and normalize the idea of woman firefighters for the world at large (without also normalizing the idea "but they'll jump off that truck as soon as they want babies"). Just, yuck.

Edited by Margherita Erdman
wow, autocorrect is getting really aggressive lately
  • Love 1