Type keyword(s) to search

Four Weddings - General Discussion

• Start Topic

10 hours ago, Quof said:

JWs can't enter a church of another faith.  

All religious beliefs are inherently illogical.   Whose imaginary friend is the strongest? 

But they stay trying to get you to go to their church/hall...it's such a smug way of thinking IMO

I was watching this episode yesterday, and was very curious about how they'd work around that rule. 

12 hours ago, ichbin said:

New episode: Jan 6th 9 pm?

Happy New Year to me!!  Thanks!!!

2 hours ago, Quof said:

All religions are smug in their belief that theirs is the only correct one.  Calling it "The" church, rather than "Our" church, for example.

This is why my hubby was firm, like VERY firm, in the following:  "There will be ZERO mention of religion in our wedding.  ZERO."  I was like, sure!  Let's get hitched!

2 hours ago, spaceytraci1208 said:

JWs can't enter a church of another faith.

I never understood this, as aren't religions supposed to be welcoming? To be punished for attending a wedding? Okay. before we get off topic.....now my dilemma is.....how do I figure out how to watch the new episode Saturday night January 6th without hubby finding out.......lolol!!!

If the JW bride could not enter a church of a different faith why would she want to be on this show or why would the producers want her on this show if she could not fully participate?

I have been to a JW wedding, it was odd that they did not do vows in the traditional way, it was a wedding talk.  I felt a little out of place but the bride was a close co-worker and I was excited she was getting married, nobody tried to convert me so I am unclear why it would not be okay for the JW bride to attend the other ceremonies.  What if the ceremony was at a hotel?  

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Baltimore Betty said:

If the JW bride could not enter a church of a different faith why would she want to be on this show or why would the producers want her on this show if she could not fully participate?

I have been to a JW wedding, it was odd that they did not do vows in the traditional way, it was a wedding talk.  I felt a little out of place but the bride was a close co-worker and I was excited she was getting married, nobody tried to convert me so I am unclear why it would not be okay for the JW bride to attend the other ceremonies.  What if the ceremony was at a hotel?  

Bolding mine:  because she wanted to win a honeymoon.  And the producers needed a fourth bride, I presume.  Look, I bet they are hard up for participants.  Would you go on this show?  I wouldn't!!!  My low key affair, with no theme, $60 dress, no favors, etc.....no way would I want these hens chirping away at my family and friends!!!  LOL!

As for the JW wedding, I can only assume that it is like in MN:  all you have to do is sign the license and mail it in, no vows are necessary.  (Look at the folks who are shipping off and want benefits for a spouse.) So a wedding talk is good.  Greek Orthodox and Jewish Orthodox do not exchange vows either - please correct me if I am wring, folks.

20 minutes ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

Jewish Orthodox do not exchange vows either - please correct me if I am wring, folks.

I said vows at both of my Jewish weddings, they were a little different than the typical vows, it was a lot better than my friends meandering odd wedding talk, frankly that guy went on a weird rant and when he was done the bride and groom had no idea if that is when it was time for them to kiss.  I like a little structure.

23 minutes ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

because she wanted to win a honeymoon.

This leads me to my next question, so these brides (especially the brides that spend $40,000 plus) plan weddings but no honeymoon?  It must take months to film one episode with a lot of down time between weddings.  

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

I like a little structure.

Me too!!!  Thank you for the clarification!!  I just remember some of the weddings (Greek?) where no vows were said and the guest brides were all "That is WEIRD!"  Nice manners, there, ladies.  Yes, I like a bit of structure, too!!

19 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

so these brides (especially the brides that spend $40,000 plus) plan weddings but no honeymoon?

Yep - I am right there with you, Betty.  I will scale back if it means getting away.  You get no favor, you get no extra serving of beef if it means I am going to the beach, lol!!  Actually as I type this we are getting ready to go on a mini honeymoon!!  We were going to go to the British Virgin Islands (hurricanes) then Puerto Rico (again hurricanes) then Northern California (fires) so now we are heading to the bed and breakfast we went to on our wedding night!!  Safe bet there!! LOL!  

And Betty, I say this with love, but the brides whose weddings cost $40,000 did not spend their money, they spent Daddy's $$!  LOL!  

59 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

This leads me to my next question, so these brides (especially the brides that spend $40,000 plus) plan weddings but no honeymoon?  It must take months to film one episode with a lot of down time between weddings.  

My feeling is there have to at least be some who have honeymoons planned, & probably just feel they could win to have another trip or a better one that what they could afford.

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, gonecrackers said:

My feeling is there have to at least be some who have honeymoons planned, & probably just feel they could win to have another trip or a better one that what they could afford.

I agree - maybe took one and then planned another one.  Although some ladies did say "I really need a honeymoon!"  I was a member of a forum called Wedding Wire before my wedding and apparently there is a new trend (that needs to go, in my opinion) called "Honeyfunds" where you set up a jar at your reception to donate for a honrymoon!  Girl, you don't invite people to a wedding and ask them to fund a trip!!!  Like on this show - you shell out $40,000 for a wedding, you can pay for a trip!!

36 minutes ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

I was a member of a forum called Wedding Wire before my wedding and apparently there is a new trend (that needs to go, in my opinion) called "Honeyfunds" where you set up a jar at your reception to donate for a honrymoon! 

Wow; that's so tacky.

It used to be bride's family pays for wedding, groom's family pays for flowers, groom pays for honeymoon. I'm not necessarily into tradition that way but in no way is it right to ask wedding guests to help pay for a honeymoon.

36 minutes ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

Like on this show - you shell out $40,000 for a wedding, you can pay for a trip!!

Yeah; I've seen ones where the expensive wedding bride says something about really 'needing' a honeymoon but 'can't afford it' because of the wedding costs.

My feeling is, oops, well, that wasn't planned well... too bad.

Edited by gonecrackers
  • Love 1

I've always believed, yet seen no insider confirmation, that the entire "surprise" honeymoon is a lie.   I like to track down the couples, if they have a distinctive last name, and have found some of their wedding websites.  "Mary and Bob will be honeymooning in Hawaii."  They won, and guess where their surprise honeymoon was?   

I think the brides already have the honeymoon planned and, if they win, the show pays.   Otherwise, they take, and pay for, the honeymoon they always planned to take.  How else to explain the disparity between couples who win a trip to a 3 star all-inclusive resort in the Dominican Republic, and those who go on a tour of the Greek Islands?

12 minutes ago, Quof said:

I think the brides already have the honeymoon planned and, if they win, the show pays.   Otherwise, they take, and pay for, the honeymoon they always planned to take.  How else to explain the disparity between couples who win a trip to a 3 star all-inclusive resort in the Dominican Republic, and those who go on a tour of the Greek Islands?

That one total bitch bride - specifically, Danielle in FL who won the trip to South Africa - actually made a not so pleased face & said "South Africa?", as in 'wtf?'  She seemed not too happy or thankful.

Then again, I do think they plan them in a particular way; I'm just not sure what they do exactly.

For example they seemed to know what was happening when two couples won. There was a tie & unlike in Canada where they make the losing brides choose (seriously, not kidding), they gave the honeymoon to both couples. They got vacations to Florida & tried to act happy about it. I chuckled.

It's definitely not random. My thought is the show finds out who wins, then plans where the couple is going, so they already know what couple is going where when the reveal is filmed.

Edited by gonecrackers

I was researching one of the couples the other day and found that the winners aren't allowed to take the honeymoon until after the show airs. I would imagine that in many cases it actually becomes a "second honeymoon" and that they went on their originally planned honeymoons at some point after the wedding (as long as it didn't interfere with the filming schedule of them attending each others' weddings.) 

I just wanted to comment on Shyrenia (or something like that) the 50 year old "vow renewal" bride who was just so over the top and obnoxious. She went on an on about loving "bling" (how I hate that word!) but her dress was so plain it reminded me of one of those paper dresses you get at the doctor's. She also had her teenage daughter dressed as a "Junior Bride" (not bridesMAID, mind you) but her dress was more bridal than her mother's. Shyrenia kept toasting herself and saying things like "Here's to the best wedding...MINE!" at the other weddings and you could tell the other brides grew tired of her attention seeking. Not surprised when she came in dead last! 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

Bolding mine:  because she wanted to win a honeymoon.  And the producers needed a fourth bride, I presume.  Look, I bet they are hard up for participants.  Would you go on this show?  I wouldn't!!!

I can't see how it's going to work the new way, with 4 brides being friends, from same area.
Is the show going to be all brides, recent grads, ready to wed?   All working for same company?  More likely, people already wed, and phony recreations.

• Love 4
42 minutes ago, magemaud said:

I just wanted to comment on Shyrenia (or something like that) the 50 year old "vow renewal" bride who was just so over the top and obnoxious. She went on an on about loving "bling" (how I hate that word!) but her dress was so plain it reminded me of one of those paper dresses you get at the doctor's. She also had her teenage daughter dressed as a "Junior Bride" (not bridesMAID, mind you) but her dress was more bridal than her mother's. Shyrenia kept toasting herself and saying things like "Here's to the best wedding...MINE!" at the other weddings and you could tell the other brides grew tired of her attention seeking. Not surprised when she came in dead last! 

With a pitiful-ass score, at that! LMAOOOOOOO 

• Love 1
42 minutes ago, magemaud said:

Shyrenia kept toasting herself and saying things like "Here's to the best wedding...MINE!" at the other weddings and you could tell the other brides grew tired of her attention seeking. Not surprised when she came in dead last! 

They shut her down at the second wedding & she didn't do it again.

Renewals never have won & probably never will. They should really have a separate show for those.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:
2 hours ago, gonecrackers said:

I agree - maybe took one and then planned another one.  Although some ladies did say "I really need a honeymoon!"  I was a member of a forum called Wedding Wire before my wedding and apparently there is a new trend (that needs to go, in my opinion) called "Honeyfunds" where you set up a jar at your reception to donate for a honrymoon!  Girl, you don't invite people to a wedding and ask them to fund a trip!!!  Like on this show - you shell out $40,000 for a wedding, you can pay for a trip!!

I've also wondered about how many couples actually needed the prize trip.  I cannot believe that some of the brides with the over the top events did not also plan and go on a honeymoon regardless if they won or not.  If someone is paying out over 50K for the wedding, what is another few thousand for a trip.  There are bound to be contestants who were there simply for the opportunity to be on TV.

Honeyfunds!  For last wedding we went to the bride sent everyone a list of activities she and the groom would like to do while on their honeymoon (walking on hot coals was one as I recall) and gave us all the opportunity to pay for them.  Um...thanks, but no thanks.  She got a shower gift and wedding gift from us for her first wedding and another wedding gift for her second wedding...this well is now dry.  

I'm really looking forward to the new shows.  It's been a few years and I'm guessing there will be new trends for us to dish on here.

13 hours ago, gonecrackers said:

They shut her down at the second wedding & she didn't do it again.

Renewals never have won & probably never will. They should really have a separate show for those.

I agree that vow renewals never win, probably never will.  Probably a feeling of already had their day.

• Love 1

I hate renewals (and have probably already said so in this thread!) I think you only have renewals when you are bored and feeling that hum-drum of marriage that can happen after a long time. Time for a new dress, new ceremony and more BLING! Was it the "toast to me" bride who got a ginormous ring and had a ceremony built around it? No, I guess not, but they are still so stupid. I would never want to have to plan another wedding.

• Love 1

If a couple wants to do a renewal I think it's a nice idea if it's done simply & it's really about the meaning of having a long term relationship, commitment, etc. Some people have had a rocky road & want to re-commit; it's fine. But no wedding dress, procession, etc. It shouldn't be an actual wedding with all the bells & whistles; that boat has float. Just a nice little ceremony with the closest people to them only; simple & meaningful.

And no competing for a honeymoon!

Edited by gonecrackers
  • Love 5

I'll backtrack and agree with this, if you're on the brink of divorce and you work it out and want to re-commit, then fine, but yes, don't do the big white wedding. Go to Hawaii or somewhere meaningful to you.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, cpcathy said:

I hate renewals (and have probably already said so in this thread!) I think you only have renewals when you are bored and feeling that hum-drum of marriage that can happen after a long time. Time for a new dress, new ceremony and more BLING! Was it the "toast to me" bride who got a ginormous ring and had a ceremony built around it? No, I guess not, but they are still so stupid. I would never want to have to plan another wedding.

How about this:  I hate renewals on this show.  The premise is set up, really, for first time brides or second time brides with a second time ceremony (like I had in October.)  The diva bride was way over the top and I knew she would place fourth.  Renewals are appropriate, to me, if a couple went to the courthouse in 1984 in jeans and now wants a nice ceremony.  Sure, go ahead.  I would plan a wedding again but again, mine was pretty low key - and my mom had passed away!!!  (I say that in love - she made it rough the first time!!)  

5 hours ago, cpcathy said:

I'll backtrack and agree with this, if you're on the brink of divorce and you work it out and want to re-commit, then fine, but yes, don't do the big white wedding. Go to Hawaii or somewhere meaningful to you.

Yes!  Be like Kate Gosselin - have TLC pay for it then divorce your hubby!!!  LOL!  

• Love 3

I don't want to say too much but a family member is pretty sure she knows one of the grooms in the next new episode. Looks like it was filmed here in north Texas and when she saw the trailer for the episode, she made me stop and rewind (thanks DVR!). She does not know the bride so I will post more after the episode airs. My family member is curious as to why they are on the show because they can definitely afford a honeymoon. If this groom is who we are thinking of, I have met him too, but my family member has a closer professional relationship with him than I do.

• Love 3
On 1/3/2018 at 3:53 AM, Spunkygal said:

I don't want to say too much but a family member is pretty sure she knows one of the grooms in the next new episode. Looks like it was filmed here in north Texas and when she saw the trailer for the episode, she made me stop and rewind (thanks DVR!). She does not know the bride so I will post more after the episode airs. My family member is curious as to why they are on the show because they can definitely afford a honeymoon. If this groom is who we are thinking of, I have met him too, but my family member has a closer professional relationship with him than I do.

Thanks for the info, Spunkygal!!  I am sure a lot of couples can afford a honeymoon, why not go for another trip?  Is it sad that I am on a mini-honeymoon right now yet I am excited about getting home to watch this on Saturday night?  (We are not anyplace exotic, just in northern MN at the same B&B we were at after we wed in October.)  Edited to add: it is negative 11 degrees outside, so it is not like I am missing a bonfire on the beach!!  

On 1/1/2018 at 2:13 PM, magemaud said:

She went on an on about loving "bling" (how I hate that word!)

I hate that word, too.  As as the mom of a 20 yr old and an 18 yr old, let me tell you, the word is VERY 2007......lolol!

Edited by Mrs. Hanson
  • Love 2

Whoa, I must have missed a season or two. When did the format change to include husbands?

Oh, they're all "best friends". Good way to explain away why they're not in each others wedding.

Edited by nekilarose
  • Love 3

Hm. The jury's out on the new format. It's definitely different.

I missed the first hour. The first bride I saw was the one with the beer hall themed reception (cute) & beer themed tattoos (tacky); & the leafy decor on the tables (cute) & in the bride's hair (not so cute.) Mommy should have been less concerned about her dress--- the second one that the bride chose suited her--- & more concerned about that head piece. Ugh! She looked soo much more beautiful throughout the rest of the show, with simple hair & makeup that didn't detract from her lovely face. They served mildly spiced cajun/creole cuisine. I get why, but they should have had hot sauce on the tables. Also, the male guests were killing me with those plaid shirts, collars open, sleeves rolled up. I'm sure the dress code was casual, but they could've done a lil bit better. She finished third.

I was typing during the last bride's wedding so I missed a lot. I loved the color of her dress! It was perfect for her porcelain skin & hair coloring. Perfectly timed sunset wedding--- soo hard to pull off! Soo many things can go wrong. She had lots of greenery in the decor, too. Maybe that's a new trend. And she won!

I like the inclusion of the husbands & them showing up at the end with flowers, too. The men handled themselves with class & were supportive of their ladies. 

I want to go back & watch the whole show. I don't understand the new scoring system & I want to pay attention to the budgets.

I'm home hiding out from negative wind chill, sigh, so I have time.

Edited by NowVoyager
  • Love 1

This show does not need to be two hours long, particularly since I usually find at least one bride to be annoying (this time looking at you, Ambri) who is more than eager to play to the cameras. I don't need all the lead up and groom time either.  When they actually got to the weddings, it seemed like there was less time spent on those than in the old format.  At least the weddings were fairly low key with no over the top nonsense going on.  

Not buying that these are four friends who usually hang out together.  It seems more like four people, with each having at least one friend or acquaintance in common with one of the others.  

Hope all the new shows aren't going to be like this one.

The winning wedding couple is on The Knot.  Took place in Oct. 2017, so at least that wedding took place very recently. 

Edited by ichbin
left out a word, remove link
  • Love 4

I think two of the girls met at church and the other two met at a football party. Did these arranged meetings take place a week before the show filmed?

Edited by druzy
  • Love 3

I'm really hoping this was two hours because it was a "We're back!" special. I enjoyed it overall, but two hours is too long. Also wondering how they could possibly sustain this "friends" format.

Could not stand Ambri and her gratuitous F bombs and cursing in general. I know I'm from a different generation, but it just seems so "look at me." Otherwise, really enjoyed the other brides and their weddings. It was nice getting to see the grooms as well.

• Love 3

Who won?  I made it to about 10:25. This show doesn’t need to be two hours, or friends.  I want a show that’s just strangers throwing major shade.  I don’t need the menses.  TLC, get your shit together! 

I don’t care that these girls have met in college or that two of them are in the same bible group or about their mommy issues. I want to see weddings!  Weddings and shade!  I don’t ask for much.

• Love 10
11 hours ago, NowVoyager said:

The first bride I saw was the one with the beer hall themed reception (cute) & beer themed tattoos

I did not like the up close pictures of the tattoos as wedding decor, looked like they were doing a mole check.

I was bored by this episode, strangers throwing a little shade is way more entertaining than seeing old college friends being tactful.  

• Love 7
45 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

I was bored by this episode, strangers throwing a little shade is way more entertaining than seeing old college friends being tactful.  

Sounds like it - I tuned in a bit to the rerun and it seemed kinda boring.  No shade throwing?  No giving a 4 due to lack of dental floss?  No complaining about sitting in the Florida sun and baking like you are sitting on the sun?  Damn!!

• Love 3
1 hour ago, tobeannounced said:

roseslg, the last wedding won, the sunset wedding with pinatas at the reception.

Thanks!  It was the only wedding I missed :(. I serious hope the two hours was only for the premier.  Some of us are old.  

I dont think Ambrias dress fitted her properly.  It wasn’t the right dress for her.  I don’t know what her mom was thinking.  

I know not everyone drinks, but I have bad thoughts about a dry wedding.  Bad ones.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, roseslg said:

Thanks!  It was the only wedding I missed :(. I serious hope the two hours was only for the premier.  Some of us are old.  

I dont think Ambrias dress fitted her properly.  It wasn’t the right dress for her.  I don’t know what her mom was thinking.  

I know not everyone drinks, but I have bad thoughts about a dry wedding.  Bad ones.

A few years ago I worked in sales for a huge catering company, we could have 5 weddings at the same time for an afternoon and turn those rooms over for 5 weddings for the evenings every weekend, some brides did not want alcohol...the guests would either duck in to the wedding next door or keep their stash in the car and duck out to the parking lot to drink. I think when you make a decision to not serve alcohol that is not being a good hostess not to mention people don't want to dance without the benefit of booze, lol.  

Edited by Baltimore Betty
Grammar
  • Love 3

First, I agree that this does not need to be two hours long and I wonder if only this episode was two hours because it is the season premiere after a long drought of no new episodes. Hope they go back to the hour format.

Second, YAY!!!!!! Adam is the groom who we know! He is a sports chiropractor in a wonderful clinic that we have gone to for several years. He is a sweetheart in the truest sense. We only know him professionally, not socially, so we don't know Amanda but she seems to be a lovely person. I remember when they moved in together and he is so in love. Last week several of the staff in the clinic, who claim they didn't know who won, said that the setting was gorgeous and that the food was amazing. I have used the caterer before and they are one of the best. Adam's brother is Randy Rogers of the Randy Rogers Band, a very well known and popular c&w group, not just in Texas. I asked if Randy performed and was told that he wrote and performed a song for the couple. I am sure he was not singled out on the show because he wanted it to be about Adam and Amanda. He was the best man and had a full beard. I was biased while watching the show and am thrilled that Adam and Amanda won. When I was leaving the clinic the other day, Adam was walking a client to a treatment room. I said "did you win?" He gave a huge grin and said "you'll have to watch on Saturday!" It was also fun seeing familiar faces in the reception. 

I don't know how much all four brides really know each other. I think they may have a friend or friends in common and maybe a couple of them are really close. It doesn't matter to me. 

• Love 4

I think all the couples were lovely people. But this new format isn't going to do it for me. Not to mention the scoring system is completely backwards. Instead of the overall experience being rated on a 1-10 scale, the venue, food, dress and originality are getting the 1-10 scoring and the overall experience  is getting the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place ratings. It was a bust for me. I'll likely still watch it but I'm bummed it's not the original format.

Edited by Lady Iris
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

As someone who just got hitched and was on several wedding boards, talking about a dry wedding is like.....the devil.  Truly.  Other posters will literally gang up on someone who suggests either a dry wedding or.....(gasp) a cash bar.  But yes, alcohol helps people unwind and be more social.  I am not a drinker but I have zero problem with drinking at weddings.  Nor do I care if people have to shell out for a whiskey sour - but hey I am mellow that way.

1 hour ago, Lady Iris said:

Not to mention the scoring system is completely backwards. Instead of the overall experience being rated on a 1-10 scale, the venue, food, dress and originality are getting the 1-10 scoring and the overall experience  is getting the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place ratings. It was a busy for me. I'll likely still watch it but I'm bummed it's not the original format.

It took me forever to understand the scoring system as it is now!!!!

I don't see it on the schedule for next Saturday night.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, roseslg said:

I want a show that’s just strangers throwing major shade.  I don’t need the menses.  TLC, get your shit together! 

I don’t care that these girls have met in college or that two of them are in the same bible group or about their mommy issues. I want to see weddings!  Weddings and shade!  I don’t ask for much.

YES! That is what drew me to this show in the first place. Come on people, no need to be shy, we all know why we're here....... Weddings and shade!

• Love 8
3 hours ago, nekilarose said:

YES! That is what drew me to this show in the first place. Come on people, no need to be shy, we all know why we're here....... Weddings and shade!

Definitely.  That and the delusions of superiority.  Why mess with a formula that works!

• Love 5

I don't believe any of these people were good friends; they just knew each other somehow. The one girl even said 'we went to college together' or something like that. Not, we were great friends all through college - no, I'm not believing this at all.

This new format really stinks.

I agree it's too long & drawn out; way too much background information that's just boring.

Definitely agree they get rid of the shade, they've ruined the show.

• Love 4