Type keyword(s) to search

Four Weddings - General Discussion

• Start Topic

27 minutes ago, cpcathy said:

I hate the new vibe that they are all on a reality show and we're supposed to think they're really interesting.

Yes the part in the beginning where they are painting, doing clay, weaving, laying out new carpeting, whatever......just skip that.  We don't care.  We want to SNARK!

• Love 6

I admit I no longer actually know when shows REALLY air because I just count on TiFaux (my catch-all name) to pick it up and let me know it's waiting for me, but yes, I will continue to watch for now (even though I find I fall asleep halfway through and then wake up later with something like American Ninja blaring and Mr. Snappy wondering why on earth I was watching American Ninja)

This episode is not good. The first wedding is just not that great. I don’t mind the simplicity but it just doesn’t really fit with this show. It just seems there should be more interesting weddings?  I have nothing against small simple weddings as I had a very informal reception but I also wasn’t on TV. 

• Love 6

ok im biting the bullet on this country episode....please someone tell me why these obese girls say they are picky eaters....no you are not.  Im country grew up on a farm....still live on a farm...no one I knew or know dress like those folks did that were guests....whats wrong with wearing a nice pair of pants and shirt....wear shoes that are nice and polished...and fancy food...…..what fancy food...please...….goat cheese just to exotic …..oy

• Love 14

I can’t take this. The last one might as well have been a weekend party. I just don’t get why these weddings were featured. I am hardly a snob about weddings but this episode was cringeworthy for me. 

• Love 14

LOL about "fancy food," too.  I kind of loved Bubby saying he couldn't wait to get married so he could tie one on (or words to that effect)!  He cracked me up -- seemed like a good guy, and they were a good match.

Yes, I stayed through the whole thing.  

• Love 5
25 minutes ago, seahag50 said:

ok im biting the bullet on this country episode....please someone tell me why these obese girls say they are picky eaters....no you are not. 

Thank you for saying what I was thinking.  Taia (or whatever) you are too young to be that big.  Sorry.  Josie?  I wanted to like you, I did, but man that first dress was HORRID.  Your stomach looked huge, your thick arms were way on display and you had back fat.  Taia - your wedding looked like it was thrown together in two months.  Oh wait, it was.  You showed more compassion for that stupid tractor than your guests who would have sat in the RAIN.  ALWAYS have a plan B.  Always.  Rachael - you are a sweetie - why do you hang out with these hillbillies?

I have been to KY - this show did them no favors.  Not everyone is back country, please  - show us the non-hillbilly side of KY.

Chelsea was weird, had weird eyes and made her guests carry their chairs into a dry wedding after making them sit in the blazing sun.  You can't help the weather but you can provide shade.  Should have come in last just for those offenses.

Taia - styrofoam plates at a wedding?  Then a white tank top?  Geez......I have been to "country" weddings but you can show some class.

I thought Josie's cake was gonna fall over too, I was waiting for someone to "help" and watch it tumble.

Love it when so called "picky eaters" are clearly overweight.  "I think it is a green bean......" Yes it is a green bean you dimwit.

• Love 13
15 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

I have been to KY - this show did them no favors.  Not everyone is back country, please  - show us the non-hillbilly side of KY.Sti

I wasn't going to bother with the episode until I saw where the weddings were this week.  I had a feeling it would be country time though. Their area was mid-way between Cincinnati and Lexington, but far enough away from the cosmopolitan aspects of each.  Josie apparently considered herself the arbiter of all things sophisticated.  They featured her making comments so often during the episode it was apparent she was going to be coming in last place.  I was kind of shocked to discover she had a child considering the way she was going on about kids.   Taiya smelled the "fancy" food like my dog used to approach a pill I hid in his kibble.  I could maybe cut her some slack on the chicken with goat cheese which was probably bizarre to her, but she did the same thing with the pork loin.  I can understand people being content with things they know and find familiar but I'm always amazed by those who have no interest or curiosity  in even trying something new once they are adults and no longer young children.  I can just imagine what some of them would have done if faced with a tray of sashimi.  Out of the four I thought either Chelsey or Rachel deserved the win.  

Edited by ichbin
spelling
  • Love 4

I can't decide who bothered me more--the high class snobs or the low class snobs.  Ultimately, it was the high class snobs, I think.  Taia was annoying with her "fancy food" schtick but oy, it was far superior than this BS about what's appropriate for a wedding.  You know who tractors are appropriate for at a wedding?  A couple who goes to tractor pulls almost weekly. 

I had to roll my eyes at Rachel saying she didn't like strapless dresses but when she came out in her dress, it had the teeny tiniest of straps attached.  Uh...okay? 

I felt like we were missing part of Chelsey and Kurtis's story.  They each have a child separately.  She's 29.  They got together when she was 23.  His kid looks like it could be older enough to have been born (or at least conceived) more than 6 years ago but her daughter did not.  Then we found out that her daughter is the same age as Josie's kid, who is 2 years old.  So there must have been some on and off break up stuff happening that just got glossed over. 

Looking at Rachel's body language during her wedding ceremony and reception, she just seemed to be over it.  Would it have been over their awful officiant who just made things worse when he tried to smooth things over after his initial funeral joke died? 

Taia and Chelsey's weddings looked like the most fun.  I don't care if she changed out of her dress if it made her feel more comfortable to get down.  I don't like goat cheese either but there was plenty of other food she could enjoy so that was weird.  The one thing I didn't mind was them snarking on the cake flavors.  Banana (natural but yuck) red raspeberry (fake flavored) and did someone say she had never had carrot cake before? 

This episode is the perfect example of when diversity is best.  All the weddings involved guests picking up their chairs from outside and bringing them inside so no one even really blinked at that.  It called for a bride from somewhere else to say "we had to bring in our own chairs?  Ew."

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 8

Who thinks the three besides Josie lowballed Josie to bring her down?  Maybe her hoity toity attitude went on a bit too long.  No way no how was Tayia's wedding third and Josie was fourth.  Giving someone's food a 1?  Really???  Was there a hair in there?  There should have been a friggin' toupee in the mac and cheese to get a 1!!!  Or mold, or curdled milk or ants crawling over it.

28 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

did someone say she had never had carrot cake before? 

Yes - apparently in KY you have to bootleg it in!!  

I felt like we were missing part of Chelsey and Kurtis's story.  They each have a child separately.  She's 29.  They got together when she was 23.  His kid looks like it could be older enough to have been born (or at least conceived) more than 6 years ago but her daughter did not.  Then we found out that her daughter is the same age as Josie's kid, who is 2 years old.  So there must have been some on and off break up stuff happening that just got glossed over. 

Interesting!!!  Like I said upthread, the MN Vikings were on so I was a bit back and forth. 

Chelsea had that awful "MY DAY MY WAY!!!" attitude so therefore I am kinda sad that she came in first.  The VIkings won against the Broncos so that helps, lol.

don't care if she changed out of her dress if it made her feel more comfortable to get down. 

I don't care either but she should have planned for rain.  I will say though - I thought Tayia was going to come off as the "Hefty Mean Girl" but she was pretty nice.  Good for her for rolling with the punches with the rain though.

29 minutes ago, ichbin said:

Kaiyla smelled the "fancy" food like my dog used to approach a pill I hid in his kibble.

Okay, this made me laugh SO HARD - love the image!!!  I think you mean Tayia  - the girl whose name I have spelled differently every time I have posted!

Edited by Mrs. Hanson
  • Love 2

This episode had everything.

Outdoor weddings that were, as usual, too hot, too cold, too windy, too thunderstormy...

A bride that went on and on about her hate for children; they cry, they kick balloons, they're not invited! Except the two Chosen Ones.

A 300-lb bride that was dry-heaving to anything that wasn't 90% carbs.

Mashed potatoes and/or mac'n'cheese being the highlight of all four dinner menus.

A bride that got married in a mermaid, and changed into a giant pouffy ball gown for the reception.

All but Rachel had boring dresses, but they were so beautiful in them! Ahem.

Me having to turn on close captioning.

A reminder to check your officiant's references.

Bubby the groom's Monster Truck interpretation of "cake smash."

Dessert appetizers.

Toppling wedding cake.

Cowboy boots everywhere!

Paper plates with three separate compartments, fancy.

Edited by Toaster Strudel
  • Love 12

I watched it. Very boring, and I can't remember their names or most of the weddings, but I have a few words for these brides. First, picky eater last bride who only liked country cooking. I grew up on Southern farm-style cooking. Not all of the food is beige; just the stuff your mother makes. There are always vegetables, because farms, with tractors, grow vegetables! Some of the vegetables are green. Eat the damn green beans and quit complaining. Second, one of the more elegant brides had a band of cellophane wrapped around the bottom of her bridal bouquet. Don't let the florist do that to you. You deserved a little net and a ribbon or something. Bride 4 again: The dress shop sold your wedding dress out from under you? Did you have a deposit on it? You were so lucky that your much taller friend happened to have a wedding dress lying around that fit you, more or less. (The makeup you wore at your wedding was subtle and flattering, however.) I hope none of the weddings got high marks for originality because they all looked straight off of Pinterest. 

I did like most of the dresses and would probably go back for seconds on the goat cheese chicken. Barbecue and slaw gives me indigestion, but I would have eaten it anyway and suffered out of your presence. Now, aren't you glad you didn't invite me? 

• Love 8

OK, maybe it’s me, but I cannot stop focusing on the fact that most of the brides - this season or seasons past - seem not to know how to hold a darn fork when cutting food or eating steak! They all seem to hold their forks like a six-year-old child! Tines facing backwards, clutched in their fist - didn’t any of them learn how to eat with utensils??

Now this week’s episode just made me sad. What a way to represent Kentucky. I’m relatively certain that not all Kentucky brides get married in a barn and serve backyard barbecue, with men who wear overalls, and so much more (less?). Please don’t misunderstand: I don’t think every wedding has to be a big, fancy blowout; I just felt like having four relatively identical barn weddings was unflattering.

• Love 11
38 minutes ago, Chinya said:

OK, maybe it’s me, but I cannot stop focusing on the fact that most of the brides - this season or seasons past - seem not to know how to hold a darn fork when cutting food or eating steak! They all seem to hold their forks like a six-year-old child! Tines facing backwards, clutched in their fist - didn’t any of them learn how to eat with utensils??

I notice that all the time too. It appears to be prevalent across all demographic groups too. I have a kid with dyspraxia who is able to cut meat correctly. It's a teachable skill. 

• Love 3

I thought Josie was robbed I thought her ceremony and dress were lovely. Teia annoyed me my low scoring everything she didn't like. I wonder how she and Rachel can be friends when they seem to have nothing in common. If Teia and Bubby hate getting dressed up so much why didn't they get married by the Justice of the Peace? They don't care what you wear. I thought Josie's husband and son looked adorable in their tuxedos.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Toaster Strudel said:

This episode had everything.

Outdoor weddings that were, as usual, too hot, too cold, too windy, too thunderstormy...

A bride that went on and on about her hate for children; they cry, they kick balloons, they're not invited! Except the two Chosen Ones.

A 300-lb bride that was dry-heaving to anything that wasn't 90% carbs.

Mashed potatoes and/or mac'n'cheese being the highlight of all four dinner menus.

A bride that got married in a mermaid, and changed into a giant pouffy ball gown for the reception.

All but Rachel had boring dresses, but they were so beautiful in them! Ahem.

Me having to turn on close captioning.

A reminder to check your officiant's references.

Bubby the groom's Monster Truck interpretation of "cake smash."

Dessert appetizers.

Toppling wedding cake.

Cowboy boots everywhere!

Paper plates with three separate compartments, fancy.

LOLOLOL!

Your post reminded me of the SNL skit where Stefan describes a hot new club in NYC. 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

LOLOLOL!

Your post reminded me of the SNL skit where Stefan describes a hot new club in NYC. 

Yes!!!  I re-read it with Stefans' voice and it is perfect!!!

In KY carrying your own chairs is a "thing" I guess - no one dinged each other.  Hire staff for that, your guests are not worker bees.

Taiya wanted a weekend kegger, she hates dresses, she hates dressing up and she hates all food.  Considering all that she was surprisingly chill about other choices.  I don't see her and Rachel hanging out a whole lot outside of work.  Neither for her and Josie, either.

One thing I noticed:  When Josie and her husband were introduced at the reception it was "Mr Dakota "Something" and Mrs Josie Griffin."  She didn't change her name, fine.  But I looked her up on facebook (don't judge me) and it looks like he is now Dakota Griffin!  He changed his name?*  Pretty progressive for KY!  

*I don't care if men do this - it is their choice.

I agree with previous poster that all the weddings looked straight off Pinterest, complete with barns, mason jars, a floral arch, cupcakes, a theme, "shabby chic" or "rustic chic" and the rest.  Except for Tayia, who didn't give a crap about anything other than her tractor being present.  And in the end it was left alone, in the rain.

Sorry ladies but when I attend an event with cupcakes an a theme I think it is for an 8 year old.

Edited by Mrs. Hanson
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, BradandJanet said:

You were so lucky that your much taller friend happened to have a wedding dress lying around that fit you, more or less. 

That friend really came through. I think she also made the cake. Tbh, when Tayia said her maid of honor was gonna be making the cake, I thought for sure it would be a sheet cake; however, it looked professionally done. It was beautiful and unique. And carrot cake cupcakes...love!

I would be so mad about the leaning cake if I was Josie. Hope she got her money back for that.

19 minutes ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

One thing I noticed:  When Josie and her husband were introduced at the reception it was "Mr Dakota "Something" and Mrs Josie Griffin."  She didn't change her name, fine.  But I looked her up on facebook (don't judge me) and it looks like he is now Dakota Griffin!  He changed his name?*  Pretty progressive for KY!  

*I don't care if men do this - it is their choice.

Currently watching and rewound to this part. They are introduced as "Mr & Mrs Dakota & Josie Griffin" at the ceremony and at the reception. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Blissfool said:

That friend really came through. I think she also made the cake. Tbh, when Tayia said her maid of honor was gonna be making the cake, I thought for sure it would be a sheet cake; however, it looked professionally done. It was beautiful and unique. And carrot cake cupcakes...love!

I would be so mad about the leaning cake if I was Josie. Hope she got her money back for that.

Currently watching and rewound to this part. They are introduced as "Mr & Mrs Dakota & Josie Griffin" at the ceremony and at the reception. 

Okay - thanks for the rewind.  I have no DVR or Tivo - yes that one household is us, lol.  I would have sworn I read a different last name.

I would have been pissed about the leaning cake, too!!  I really thought someone would bump the table and over it goes.......

Edited by Mrs. Hanson
  • Love 2
15 minutes ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

I would have been pissed about the leaning cake, too!!  I really thought someone would bump the table and over it goes.......

Haha, yeah, someone like.......Tayia!

(All in the name of competition, of course.)

• Love 3
14 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

Okay, this made me laugh SO HARD - love the image!!!  I think you mean Tayia  - the girl whose name I have spelled differently every time I have posted!

You're right!  It is Taiya. All those  unusual "ai" names blend together for me.  

On 8/6/2018 at 9:56 PM, TwirlyGirly said:

I haven't been to a wedding in literally decades (most when I was a child - youngest of many, many cousins who were all 10+ years older than me). All of the weddings I attended had a receiving line -which gave the bride, groom, and their mothers and fathers - a chance to personally thank each guest for attending and gave each guest the opportunity to congratulate the bride and groom and thank the parents for their hospitality. Having a receiving line (right after the ceremony and before the reception) allowed the bride and groom time to participate in and enjoy their reception, instead of having to personally visit every table to speak with each guest during the reception.

Also, head tables instead of sweetheart tables! IIRC, the bride and groom, their parents, the Maid/Matron of Honor and Best Man, and all the bridesmaids and ushers - all sat at the head table. That was nice, because if any guests wanted to chat a bit more with any of those people, they were easy to find (and the people seated at the head table got to enjoy their meal and had a good view of the party without being interrupted by guests calling to them from across the room).

I don't know why those two traditions seem to have been eliminated in favor of the "sweetheart table". To me, it doesn't serve either the couple or the guests better than the head table (if anything, with the bride and groom "front and center" like that it seems to me THEY will be the ones most likely to be called upon by guests or vendors if there's an issue simply because they'll be the easiest to find).

I'm getting married in 13 days. The head table, or dais, is something that REALLY isn't done anymore, at least where I'm from. The sweetheart table took its place. 
I always thought that the head table was really unfair to the dates of your bridal party...do the spouses/dates all know each other? Just let them all sit at a regular table together! 

I have a sweetheart table, but don't anticipate actually sitting down at it except to eat or during the speeches. None of my friends did. It's totally normal around here to have that, though. And to be honest...I didn't ONCE think of it as a way to get more attention or to be on display. 

• Love 6
5 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

When I first saw that cake I thought it was actually supposed to be the Leaning Tower of Pisa because initially it looked like it had been decorated with arches.  Then I saw it was just a mess of a cake.  I hope it wasn't made by a professional baker and that it was a homemade job by a friend or some other amateur with a few Wilton classes under their belt and an over inflated assessment of their abilities.  

• Love 2
30 minutes ago, rlc said:

You are not a picky eater if you weigh more than 250 pounds. Not trying to be sizest- just stating a fact.

You just reminded me of something that had me laughing.  During the segment of Taiya eating at home with her husband's family someone said that the barbecue sauce was so good because the mother had made it herself...then the cameraman let us see two bottles of store bought sauce on the counter.  

• Love 13

And I'm wondering about continuity of a sort - a shot of the limo driver showed the hands of an African-American on the steering wheel but it was definitely a white dude who got out and opened the limo door.

LOL - shows kind of how bored I was with this episode, I guess. 

Did Taiya have parents?  Who raised this woman?  Everything was done by his parents or her friends or am I missing something.

• Love 2

I'm fascinated by the mentions of subtitles. I'm in the Cincinnati TV market, about an hour north of Dry Ridge, KY and I don't recall any subtitles.  In fact, I remarked to Mr. Lilly how familiar that brand of accent was to us, that the participants sounded so familiar.   I'm wondering if the network added subtitles in certain markets?

By the end of the episode given all the plaid shirts and jeans, when the husbands were in the limo I found myself screaming at the TV "Do you even own a tie?"  Probably not.

Some of the men's enthusiasm for the meal at the final wedding - BBQ, cole slaw, mac and cheese on a Styrofoam plate was genuine.   That's how they are comfortable and as someone mentioned, the bride really would have preferred a kegger and not to have to fuss with a dress at all.  That's fine but why agree to a a wedding show (other than the obvious chance at a free vacation) if you're not that interested. 

One thing I hate about this format is I think some of the weddings are rushed and the brides are trying to come up with ideas to score points in a very short period of time rather than each bride already having a plan/theme in place before they're chosen for the show.

I am so not a fan of the choreographed dances.  The best wedding advice I every got was what your guests really want is a place to sit, something halfway decent to eat, and some good music and dancing.  No one is really interested in a 45-minute montage of pictures of the bride and groom except maybe their moms, or a musical serenade of the bride by the drunk groomsmen.  

Edited by lilly6
  • Love 4
21 minutes ago, lilly6 said:

I'm fascinated by the mentions of subtitles. I'm in the Cincinnati TV market, about an hour north of Dry Ridge, KY and I don't recall any subtitles.  In fact, I remarked to Mr. Lilly how familiar that brand of accent was to us, that the participants sounded so familiar.   I'm wondering if the network added subtitles in certain markets?

By the end of the episode given all the plaid shirts and jeans, when the husbands were in the limo I found myself screaming at the TV "Do you even own a tie?"  Probably not.

Some of the men's enthusiasm for the meal at the final wedding - BBQ, cole slaw, mac and cheese on a Styrofoam plate was genuine.   That's how they are comfortable and as someone mentioned, the bride really would have preferred a kegger and not to have to fuss with a dress at all.  That's fine but why agree to a a wedding show (other than the obvious chance at a free vacation) if you're not that interested. 

One thing I hate about this format is I think some of the weddings are rushed and the brides are trying to come up with ideas to score points in a very short period of time rather than each bride already having a plan/theme in place before they're chosen for the show.

I am so not a fan of the choreographed dances.  The best wedding advice I every got was what your guests really want is a place to sit, something halfway decent to eat, and some good music and dancing.  No one is really interested in a 45-minute montage of pictures of the bride and groom except maybe their moms, or a musical serenade of the bride by the drunk groomsmen.  

Yeah, I'm not there for a "performance."  And I don't need any gifty things.  I don't even EXPECT a good meal -- knowing how difficult it can be to serve 100 people in one sitting.  (Bonus points if it is tasty and hot!).  A  glass of wine is good; I'll buy it too.   I'm there to celebrate the marriage.

• Love 2

I was fascinated by lips this episode—Josie’s lips were blue in her THs (was it cold in the room, or did she need an oxygen mask??), and Chelsey’s pursed lips resembled a cat’s butthole, especially in comparison to her big, buggy eyes.  I also wonder what Bubby’s government name is.

But mostly, I stared in open-mouthed fascination.  That was kind of a train wreck.  And the grammar was *atrocious*!!!

• Love 6

Apologies to anyone from that area, but Tayia was just dumb. As a stump. A 1 for food?? Really? When you GOT food? A 1 is for when you were offered nada. 

I also have to reiterate how much I hate the cake smash. So disrespectful. Tayia and Bubby's cake smash was downright violent. That and her saying how she'd laugh at him if he ever wore a tux--sounds like a relationship on the verge of turning bad.

• Love 11
3 hours ago, rlc said:

The fact that they all were better dressed for the final reveal than for any of the weddings.

That caught my attention right away, too! 

I am also bored with the wedding venues being in the exact same, or almost identical, places.

• Love 8
49 minutes ago, cpcathy said:

Apologies to anyone from that area, but Tayia was just dumb. As a stump. A 1 for food?? Really? When you GOT food? A 1 is for when you were offered nada. 

I also have to reiterate how much I hate the cake smash. So disrespectful. Tayia and Bubby's cake smash was downright violent. That and her saying how she'd laugh at him if he ever wore a tux--sounds like a relationship on the verge of turning bad.

Can you imagine these people at a nice resort?? Table manners were non existent. I couldn't figure out why Taylia had her chin on mother in laws kitchen table. 

Take note sparkle fancy is a wine bottle spray painted gold with pearls wrapped around and a label with the bride and grooms name on it and a spray or wired pearls sticking out... Hope she didn't pay anyone for those decorations . 

The winner had lanterns , burlap and polyester sunflowers how unique.  Oh and pulled pork sandwiches?  Isn't she the one said some food was too fancy?  Good luck in Mexico.  One said it was unusual but taste-ted good. 

The joker who has one dress shirt and its checkered.  

I FF through twice looking for the cello wrapped bouquet and couldn't find it. 

• Love 6

The cake smash needs to go away.  I never know which is worse: the disrespect to the smashee, or the waste of perfectly good cake (which is often the best thing about wedding food).

1 hour ago, Lovecat said:

Chelsey’s pursed lips resembled a cat’s butthole, especially in comparison to her big, buggy eyes.

I was thinking praying mantis, but cat's butthole works for me as well. :)  And while I'm being totally shallow, the majority of these folks should have saved the money they spent on their weddings and put it toward visiting dentists.

• Love 11

Gosh, I am so glad I am not the only one who thought it! All I could think was if the nurse and her husband procreate, they'll have to mortgage the house for orthodontia! I hate this format. There has been nothing to recommend any of these shows, but this one was a new low! The wman who came in last-what a snob- were those real dishes for the buffet? I can almost smell the cow manure. I am not interested in people who wear jeans to a wedding and/or are morbidly obese. Why did anyone think this show was a good idea? It boggles.

Edited by Patrizio
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, cpcathy said:

A 1 for food?? Really? When you GOT food? A 1 is for when you were offered nada. 

I don't think the wedding where they served pizza with two liter bottles of warm soda plopped on each table even got a score of 1, and if  there was a wedding that deserved it that one did.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Thumper said:

Yeah, I'm not there for a "performance."  And I don't need any gifty things.  I don't even EXPECT a good meal -- knowing how difficult it can be to serve 100 people in one sitting.  (Bonus points if it is tasty and hot!).  A  glass of wine is good; I'll buy it too.   I'm there to celebrate the marriage.

I think that's what irritated me the most about the woman saying what was appropriate for a wedding.  Barbeque is one of the things that is easiest to serve a mass amount of people and have it stay warm.  So it's appropriate. 

• Love 1