Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: All Rise

Message added by Meredith Quill

Community Manager Note

Official notice that the topic of Sean DeMarco is off limits. If you have 1-on-1 thoughts to complete please take it to PM with each other.

If you have questions, contact the forum moderator @PrincessPurrsALot.  Do not discuss this limit to this discussion in here. Doing so will result in a warning. 

• Start Topic

17 hours ago, Blissfool said:

Did JJ actually believe the parallel parking excuse? 

Well, it just so happens that I have literally awoken up from a dead sleep around 4:00 AM and felt the need to practice parallel parking with my friend's car. Haven't y'all? I bring my road cones and set them up in the high school parking lot and there are no other cars around.....except those pesky cops that mess up my groove!!!! ; D

I swear, don't women learn? If a man is a fixer-upper, then it's not worth it. Maybe if women weren't trying to hard to fix men, then those men would get a clue and fix their own personal problems. Oh, but that would be too easy!!! What would we all do for fun?

• Love 7
1 hour ago, pagooey said:

...I would consider fighting over my Le Creusets. Their warranty extends past my life expectancy--that's good stuff! ;)

That other little bastard your kid worships might, though. I remember you talking about that one! (When I was growing up, my mom lamented the existence of "That Bridget" in our universe. I don't like you hanging around That Bridget. She was correct, AND I am amazed not to have seen That Bridget as a litigant on JJ or any other court show. Yet. 

That reminds me of my moms lament

” why can’t you pick up some good habits from your friends?”

• Love 5
(edited)
3 hours ago, ItsHelloPattiagain said:

Well, it just so happens that I have literally awoken up from a dead sleep around 4:00 AM and felt the need to practice parallel parking with my friend's car. Haven't y'all? I bring my road cones and set them up in the high school parking lot and there are no other cars around.....except those pesky cops that mess up my groove!!!! ; D

I swear, don't women learn? If a man is a fixer-upper, then it's not worth it. Maybe if women weren't trying to hard to fix men, then those men would get a clue and fix their own personal problems. Oh, but that would be too easy!!! What would we all do for fun?

I thought I replied earlier but don't see my reply. perhaps I replied in a dream.

Didn't everyone perfect their parallel parking skills in the wee hours of the morning? I'm sometimes blown away by the things litigants say casually [though under oath] in JJ's courtroom as though they expect us all to believe it without question.

My husband lived with his parents until we married (though he was semi- on his own for two years when he served a Mormon mission in South America for two years). A few times I went into his room at his parents house and saw his socks on the floor. Curiously, it was always just socks. The underwear must have grown legs and walked itself into the hamper.  I only wash clothing that is placed in the proper receptacle. A few times he had to stop and purchase clean socks on the way to work because his socks were on the floor. His mommy picked them up when she came to collect the rest of his laundry. He still hasn't learned to pick up his socks. He pays our children $0.25 per sock to pick them up for him. My two-year-old daughter and three-year-old son fight over the honor of picking up his socks for the $. They would probably fight to one or the other of their deaths over the damned dirty socks if I were not there to keep them from doing so. Husband still hasn't learned to pick up socks, though.  Husbands can't be fixed. 

We employ a twice-per week housekeeping service.  When we were both in school, the socks somehow got picked up. My husband probably felt sorry enough  for me to pick them up himself back then because I was both teaching elementary school and attending law school. (My niece lived with us during the summers, and she kept our apartments spotless.) We could barely afford ramen noodles for dinner, much less a housekeeping service. Once we both made it all the way through school, the housekeeping service was a necessity because we both worked and the health department might have boarded our place up if someone hadn't been taking care of the basic hygiene of the place. We continued with the service once I had the kids and mostly stay home with them because it costs us less to pay a housekeeping service than it would to pay for a divorce and to pay the costs of maintaining separate households.  Before the babies were old enough to pick up socks, the housekeepers must have thought it was bizarre that a house that was essentially clean often had socks on the bedroom floor, but it's where i draw the line. I'm not going to pick up the dirty socks of anyone who is old enough to walk. My husband apparently thinks that because he worked hard to get through undergrad studies and medical school, he shouldn't have to pick up socks, even though they're HIS socks.  If he wants to part with hard-earned cash so that  children and housekeepers can pick up his socks, it's OK with me as long as I don't have to pick them up.

I'm editing to add that I caught an episode today in which a husband and wife (who eerily resembled a "before prison" version of Abby Lee, dance instructor) were divorcing and each took one vehicle that was jointly owned in the marriage. The husband damaged his car in an accident, and for some reason the insurance check came to the wife. She kept it, then giggled stupidly when JJ asked her why she should be allowed to keep the check. In the hallterview, she explained the situation with [you probably already guessed], "It is what it is." This calls for me to down half a bottle of wine. I'm waiting for my husband to walk through the door and assume responsibility for the children before I get wasted.

Edited by jilliannatalia
addition of today's case
  • Love 8
4 hours ago, NYCFree said:

That Bridget!!!  LOL!

I hope someday Gabe is just a distant memory, or my kid's common sense, or sense of self preservation kicks in.

That lying mom today "I never made contact" with my Tesla.... That kid totally can use that forever "yes I lied about what time I came home. I LEARNED IT FROM YOU MOM!"

A Tesla is NOT inexpensive. The other lady was driving  a Porsche, also not inexpensive. Both ladies had insurance, what’s the problem? 

As an aside her son looked like the transgender defendant from the other night. 

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, iwasish said:

As an aside her son looked like the transgender defendant from the other night. 

I was thinking the same thing. Poor kid, having to watch his mother being totally busted as a blatant liar and trying to bring him into it.

• Love 7
5 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

Sorry, this just popped into my mind. Brings a tear to my eye:

----------------

Sometimes it's hard to be a woman
Giving all your love to just one man.
You'll have bad times
And he'll have good times,
Doin' things that you don't understand
But if you love him you'll forgive him,
Even though he's hard to understand
And if you love him oh be proud of him,
'Cause after all he's just a man
Stand by your man,
Give him two arms to cling to,
And something warm to come to
When nights are cold and lonely
Stand by your man,
And show the world you love him
Keep giving all the love you can
Stand by your man
Stand by your man,
And show the world you love him
Keep giving all the love you can
Stand by your man

Sing it, Tammy!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, DoctorK said:

Poor kid, having to watch his mother being totally busted as a blatant liar and trying to bring him into it.

Oh, that bug-eyed "Coraline's Other Mother" was such a disgusting, nasty liar. Utterly shameless and stupid to boot. Hate!

coraline.jpg

• Love 10
5 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

Oh, that bug-eyed "Coraline's Other Mother" was such a disgusting, nasty liar. Utterly shameless and stupid to boot. Hate!

coraline.jpg

PERFECT!!!! 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, AZChristian said:

I wanted to see JJ put the kid up on the witness stand, just to see if he would wet his pants. He looked close to it, just having JJ talk to him when he was sitting next to his mother.

I knew she wouldn’t. That puts the kid in a bad position, having to testify against Mom. It’s a no-win and not needed. 

• Love 6
13 hours ago, iwasish said:

A Tesla is NOT inexpensive. The other lady was driving  a Porsche, also not inexpensive. Both ladies had insurance, what’s the problem? 

I think it's a rich people thing.  At my last job, we did Secretary's Day lunch every year at the country club.  The owner of the company had a "tab" there, so we could go over, do lunch, and put it on his tab, which I'm sure he used as a business expense.  At any rate, we were following our supervisor on the way back out once, when a golf ball hit the back window of her car (a Honda Del Sol - this was a while back) and shattered it.  The ball almost hit her in the head.  She stopped and we did too, because we saw it happen.  The woman who hit the ball just flat-out did NOT want to pay for it.  She was dripping in fancy jewelry and had expensive clubs, and kept saying it wasn't her fault, you drive there at your own risk, she yelled "FORE!", etc.  She also kept pointing to signs saying that the country club wasn't responsible for damages.  All of us quickly reminded her that yes, the club was not responsible, but SHE was.  And she could have clearly seen the red sports car (and a bunch of other cars) coming down the driveway.  She should have known to wait.  She finally relented when we said we were sure the club had cameras.  The ladies who lunch at the club were always annoyed with us coming in and having lunch, so we weren't surprised.  It was less than $500 to fix the car (would have been cheaper if not for the rear window defogger) - she could afford it - but she played every "not my fault" card in the deck until she ran out of them.

• Love 9
15 minutes ago, iwasish said:

Tenant from hell, aptly named Bubonic. 

I wasn't sure I had heard it right; thanks for confirming that my ears are working correctly. The landlord looked confused and bemused throughout the case, but she did not have to say much since JJ argued just about all of the defense for her.

That tenant is another example of the many reasons not to become a landlord.

• Love 9
On 5/3/2018 at 5:27 AM, ButYourHonor said:

Almost forgot about the 12yr old safe crackers!

Yeah, that’s some kind of early sociopathic behavior right there.  I mean the kid knows the money is from his grandpa who just died.  Knows it’s being saved for a house.  But still feels free to take THOUSANDS out and give half to a friend? 

Hey at least he got the lesson that one should always share.  lol  Definitely was smdh through the whole mess.

• Love 2
(edited)

I was disappointed that the crazy tenant case did not develop into the Monty Python version it had the potential to be: " Plaintiff Miss Bubonic is suing Defendants Ms. Leprosy and Mr. Famine; Plaintiff has brought Despair and Delirium as witnesses".

Edited by Florinaldo
  • Love 11

Omg - her name really is "Bubonic" and she's a plague. Who wants to bet this is her usual modus operandi? She rents places she can't afford (can someone who is collecting disablility afford 1650$/month for rent alone, without all the other living expenses?) doesn't pay rent, then sues the landlord for nonsense. Why would she, with her limited fixed income, move from a place that cost 1350$ to pay 300$/month more? The lease expired? Yeah, and they kicked her out and couldn't be bothered trying to sue her for what she owes them. What a histronic, horrible, hateful, scamming hag. The 80-odd-year old house is crooked so why should she pay rent for all the months she lived there? There were mice, which changed to rats when she continued to blabber in the hall,  too! The landlord looked exhausted from dealing with this witch and I doubt she would have sued either for what is owed her. Probably just so happy to get rid of that screeching harridan that she would have eaten the loss.

3 hours ago, Florinaldo said:

That tenant is another example of the many reasons not to become a landlord.

x 2.

• Love 11
2 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

Omg - her name really is "Bubonic" and she's a plague. Who wants to bet this is her usual modus operandi? She rents places she can't afford (can someone who is collecting disablility afford 1650$/month for rent alone, without all the other living expenses?) doesn't pay rent, then sues the landlord for nonsense. Why would she, with her limited fixed income, move from a place that cost 1350$ to pay 300$/month more? The lease expired? Yeah, and they kicked her out and couldn't be bothered trying to sue her for what she owes them. What a histronic, horrible, hateful, scamming hag. The 80-odd-year old house is crooked so why should she pay rent for all the months she lived there? There were mice, which changed to rats when she continued to blabber in the hall,  too! The landlord looked exhausted from dealing with this witch and I doubt she would have sued either for what is owed her. Probably just so happy to get rid of that screeching harridan that she would have eaten the loss.

x 2.

My husband wanted to buy a couple of rental homes as an investment. I told him it would be a better project for him to undertake with his next wife.

• Love 14

I haven't watched JJ in a few weeks because she was really annoying me.  Today I went to visit a friend and she was watching JJ.  I sit down and JJ ask the plaintiff what year was his car, he said 2013, she says "so you had liability insurance" the plaintiff responds "no I had full coverage because there was a note on the car".  Why the hell would she think a person (who actually has insurance) wouldn't have full coverage on a 4-5 year old car?  She really doesn't have any concept of how the non one percent lives.  Don't know how the case ended because I went and sat on the porch until the show was over.

• Love 6
(edited)
44 minutes ago, momtoall said:

I haven't watched JJ in a few weeks because she was really annoying me.  Today I went to visit a friend and she was watching JJ.  I sit down and JJ ask the plaintiff what year was his car, he said 2013, she says "so you had liability insurance" the plaintiff responds "no I had full coverage because there was a note on the car".  Why the hell would she think a person (who actually has insurance) wouldn't have full coverage on a 4-5 year old car?  She really doesn't have any concept of how the non one percent lives. 

Not only that, but as time passes she is getting further and further out of touch. Not at all sure, and not interested enough to do the research, but as I recall 4 of her 5 children (counting the step children) are professionals (lawyers and a doctor)... no idea what the grandkids do, but doubt any are scraping by working minimum wage. 

Edited by SRTouch
  • Love 6

As much as JJ has been getting on my nerves lately, there's one type of case that I still really love: suits over jewelry.  She totally snaps to and comes alive, and I love to see her zero in on the ring (or whatever else) with her gimlet eye.  In today's case of the diamond-and-emerald engagement ring, I actually think the plaintiff made out better with the second ring.  The original looked like a ton of things I used to see on QVC in the '90s.  The second ring was much more beautiful, I thought, both intricate and not overdone.

But what is the deal with women buying their own engagement rings these days?  I'm a serious feminist, but if you're going to play along with the whole engagement/ring/fancy wedding business, isn't part of that the man buying the ring and the woman pretending to like it?  Or at least the woman having a major say in the way the ring looks but the man paying for it?  What's the fun if you design it yourself, pay for it yourself, present it to yourself?  Why even bother?

I'll just go sit on the fossil shelf and gather more dust.

P.S.  I also love the occasional insane litigant, even more when the lunatic has a name like Bubonic.  You can't make that stuff up.

• Love 14
(edited)

Loved those squatters who didn't pay their rent for three months because they decided not to buy the lease-to-own house because they thought it had things wrong with it. Wifey couldn't answer any of the financial questions, because she doesn't worry her little head about man business and lets her husband, Wyatt Earp - who stood there clutching his black cowboy hat the whole time - deal with those things. After all their squatting (and I loved how they just stood there declaring righteously that no, they didn't pay rent) they're suing for 5,000$ for a used above-ground pool, an item that retains near-zero value.

Little Ms Thibodeaux was quite the imperious missy, flipping her fake hair and fake nails around as she demanded a marker to highlight her illiterate texts, which proved nothing at all. Her attitude was off the scale.

37 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

But what is the deal with women buying their own engagement rings these days? 

I don't know about this litigant, but we've often seen women so desperate to walk down the aisle with some loser they gladly pay for their own engagement rings, on credit cards with 30% interest. Of course, those women we see here are always plaintiffs. I do not classify myself as a feminist - just a woman who has always paid my own way and managed to work in a male-dominated business my whole life and never took a dime from anyone, but when it came time to get an engagement ring, paying for it myself never entered my mind.  Of course, the fact that the man I was marrying wasn't a jailbird/deadbeat/con artist/drug addict or scammer who owed thousands in back child support, lived with his gramma and who I met at the gas station a few weeks prior may have elevated my expectations.

Edited by AngelaHunter
the illiteracy is rubbing off!
  • Love 16
1 hour ago, AngelaHunter said:

Of course, the fact that the man I was marrying wasn't a jailbird/deadbeat/con artist/drug addict or scammer who owed thousands in back child support, lived with his gramma and who I met at the gas station a few weeks prior may have elevated my expectations.

Well, you have only yourself to blame for that.  ;o)

• Love 12
6 hours ago, momtoall said:

I haven't watched JJ in a few weeks because she was really annoying me.  Today I went to visit a friend and she was watching JJ.  I sit down and JJ ask the plaintiff what year was his car, he said 2013, she says "so you had liability insurance" the plaintiff responds "no I had full coverage because there was a note on the car".  Why the hell would she think a person (who actually has insurance) wouldn't have full coverage on a 4-5 year old car?  She really doesn't have any concept of how the non one percent lives.  Don't know how the case ended because I went and sat on the porch until the show was over.

J J would hate me I have a 2002 and I have full coverage on it and it only has barely 50,000 miles on it

• Love 6
6 hours ago, SRTouch said:

Not only that, but as time passes she is getting further and further out of touch. Not at all sure, and not interested enough to do the research, but as I recall 4 of her 5 children (counting the step children) are professionals (lawyers and a doctor)... no idea what the grandkids do, but doubt any are scraping by working minimum wage. 

I agree that her sense of perspective is getting weaker, but she has always been a bit jaded. She has described her upbringing as having been "middle class" because her father was a dentist. That's fine if "middle class' is construed to encompass the upper-middle class range as well and the median-middle, but to say that a dentist's family is strictly middle class is a bit of stretch. Depending upon where a family lives and how many children they have, the family of a dentist may have to cut coupons or watch their spending somewhat carefully. My dad, who is an OBGYN but grew up as the child of struggling immigrants from Cuba, says that anyone who employs a secretary or receptionist cannot rightly claim middle class proper.

4 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

Little Ms Thibodeaux was quite the imperious missy, flipping her fake hair and fake nails around as she demanded a marker to highlight her illiterate texts, which proved nothing at all. Her attitude was off the scale.

Ms. Thibodeaux was certainly a piece of work.  JJ referred to her at least once as "Ms. Tribodeaux."  The expression on her face when her name was mispronounced was priceless.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

I kept waiting for JJ to say “There’s only one attitude here,it’s me, And I already have the job!” 

• Love 6

I was so disgusted by the mom suing her daughter over a car. Mom charged the daughter more than the value of the car. Then the mom says how can a daughter report her mother to the police for stealing the car back after non payment.  I wish JJ asked the mom how can a mother overcharge her daughter for a car or even better how can she bring her daughter to court?!  That woman really irritated me!

• Love 7
12 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

But what is the deal with women buying their own engagement rings these days?

I bought both my own wedding ring and my husbands wedding band.  Since we'd been together for awhile and already had a six year old and a three year old, we weren't looking for anything expensive and neither of us really cared for jewelry.  But once we set the date we decided we should get rings, so one morning I took $200 out of the bank and went shopping. 

By noon I was meeting my guy for lunch and told him I'd found the perfect set.  Gold, plain, no jewels.  Did he mind if we had to make payments on them?  He closed his eyes and tried to suppress a sigh, then said "No, I guess if we have to do it, then we'll do it."  So romantic!  "Well, it could be worse" I told him.  "Together it's only 5."  "I guess five hundred isn't so bad."  "No.  Five dollars.  I bought them at Walmart.  The woman at the counter was scandalized, I think she might need therapy."

• Love 12
(edited)
15 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

But what is the deal with women buying their own engagement rings these days?  I'm a serious feminist, but if you're going to play along with the whole engagement/ring/fancy wedding business, isn't part of that the man buying the ring and the woman pretending to like it?

What truly baffles me is how in straight couples the man is still expected to buy the engagement ring and the woman (and her family) often think less of him if he doesn't. Isn't it an outdated symbol, through which men "marked" their intended as their property and thus forbidden to all others? I can't see why both people in a couple do not wear engagement rings or simply none at all. A few times when a colleague or acquaintance displayed her shiny new bauble I asked her male partner where his ring was and why she did not buy him one; from their reactions, you would think I had just made the most sacrilegious statement.

I think many men have been socialised in such a way that they would feel less manly not buying an engagement ring; and many women would dislike losing out on a freebie (analogous to men being expected to pay for all meals, show tickets, drinks, and other expenses on a date). I am sure that the diamond industry would also give me a serious side-eye.

I also do not understand why the man is assumed to be the one that has to propose and why many consider it unladylike for a woman to do so. Or why it can't be a decision both people arrive at together, like adults.

I write this from the perspective of a gay man.

2 hours ago, bearlnr1 said:

I wish JJ asked the mom how can a mother overcharge her daughter for a car or even better how can she bring her daughter to court?!

Usually, JJ says "this is America, people are entitled to make a profit". Berating the mother would have caught her into a contradiction, not that it ever stopped her before. I never understand why most of the TV judges can muster so much moral outrage when a parent sues a child or vice-versa. It's a contract and if there is a breach, family ties should not prevent one from bringing action and being made whole; in this case the daughter missed a payment, so the mother would have had the right to repossess the car. However, reporting it stolen was too much of a cheap-minded expedient.

Edited by Florinaldo
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, Rabbittron said:

J J would hate me I have a 2002 and I have full coverage on it and it only has barely 50,000 miles on it

I have full coverage on my 2003. It has 115,000 on it now, but it's a Toyota truck and that's just nicely broken in. 

• Love 2
14 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

Loved those squatters who didn't pay their rent for three months because they decided not to buy the lease-to-own house because they thought it had things wrong with it. Wifey couldn't answer any of the financial questions, because she doesn't worry her little head about man business and lets her husband, Wyatt Earp - who stood there clutching his black cowboy hat the whole time - deal with those things. After all their squatting (and I loved how they just stood there declaring righteously that no, they didn't pay rent) they're suing for 5,000$ for a used above-ground pool, an item that retains near-zero value.

I felt a small modicum of sympathy for the plaintiffs (very small).  A former co-worker of mine got rooked in to a rent to own house deal.  We kept telling her not to do it, but she loved the house, and let it overrule the fact that the owners of the house were getting divorced.  As predicted, 2 years in, the judge in the divorce proceedings said the house had to be sold, and the proceeds divided in half.  She couldn't obtain a loan for the house ,and they wouldn't give her any money back so she could move in short order.  It was just "You can't get a loan?  Sayonara!".  So she held out 2 months rent for moving expenses.  Whether it was right or wrong is debatable, and she shouldn't have entered into it in the first place, but it was still a crappy thing to do to someone, and with the home being sold, they could have given her a pass on 2 months rent, or given her some money back.  If the plaintiffs were to be believed, they were unable to obtain financing because the house had a number code violations that they didn't know about until there was an inspection for loan financing, and the defendant said he wouldn't fix them because his homeowners deductible was too high.  Maybe prior experience with shady landlords clouds my judgement, but I did feel a bit of compassion for them.  And I don't believe, like JJ believes, that they burned the house down.  If it could be proven, he would have had paperwork.  If the house had numerous code violations, that opens the door for lots of stuff to happen.

10 hours ago, Rabbittron said:

52 minutes ago, lovesnark said:

I have full coverage on my 2003. It has 115,000 on it now, but it's a Toyota truck and that's just nicely broken in. 

I had full coverage on a 1997 Saturn SC2.  I called the insurance company to see about dropping it down a number of years ago when I was pretty broke, and it was only just a little bit per payment to drop down to liability only, so I just left it on full coverage since it was not much savings.  That car just died, and I begrudgingly had to buy a 2nd car that I would have a payment on so my husband could get to work, etc.

2 hours ago, bearlnr1 said:

I was so disgusted by the mom suing her daughter over a car. Mom charged the daughter more than the value of the car. Then the mom says how can a daughter report her mother to the police for stealing the car back after non payment.  I wish JJ asked the mom how can a mother overcharge her daughter for a car or even better how can she bring her daughter to court?!  That woman really irritated me!

JJ did sort-of address that.  The mom gave all kinds of excuses, like "She agreed to that amount" or "I paid more for it 3 years earlier".  I agree the mom pulled the car because her daughter refused to get in to some shady deal where she would give her old car to her brother who may or may not have had a drivers license.  I wouldn't put myself up for liability there either.

I was irritated with JJ on the kid with the broken collarbone case, and I was miffed with her on the one where the kid drove his bike in to that stopped car (that kid had plenty of time to stop or move - she stopped dead when she saw him), and I was also irritated with her on the one where the woman said she hit the curb, but the woman behind her said she hit her.  Those markings did NOT line up - the defendant was right.  But JJ was so narrow-sighted that she ruled against her - even when the plaintiff admitted she had NO INSURANCE.  

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Florinaldo said:

What truly baffles me is how in straight couples the man is still expected to buy the engagement ring and the woman (and her family) often think less of him if he doesn't. Isn't it an outdated symbol, through which men "marked" their intended as their property and thus forbidden to all others? I can't see why both people in a couple do not wear engagement rings or simply none at all. A few times when a colleague or acquaintance displayed her shiny new bauble I asked her male partner where his ring was and why she did not buy him one; from their reactions, you would think I had just made the most sacrilegious statement.

I think many men have been socialised in such a way that they would feel less manly not buying an engagement ring; and many women would dislike losing out on a freebie (analogous to men being expected to pay for all meals, show tickets, drinks, and other expenses on a date). I am sure that the diamond industry would also give me a serious side-eye.

I also do not understand why the man is assumed to be the one that has to propose and why many consider it unladylike for a woman to do so. Or why it can't be a decision both people arrive at together, like adults.

I write this from the perspective of a gay man.

Yeah, all of this is what I meant when I said "if you're going to play along with the whole engagement/ring/fancy wedding business."  It's all pretty archaic (and I write this from the perspective of a straight woman), and the older a person is when first embarking on it, the sillier it seems to me.  But if giving a ring is tantamount to the man marking the woman as his property (and let me say I'd rather be marked with diamonds than peed on), then what is the point at all of the woman marking herself by paying for and presenting herself with her own ring?  It's a tradition that doesn't seem to benefit by updating.  None of it really holds up to scrutiny in light of current mores.  Or I could be missing the point entirely.  ;o)

• Love 4
30 minutes ago, funky-rat said:

I was irritated with JJ on the kid with the broken collarbone case, and I was miffed with her on the one where the kid drove his bike in to that stopped car (that kid had plenty of time to stop or move - she stopped dead when she saw him)

Also, not only didn't the kid stop, but he kept peddling as he sped towards the car.

30 minutes ago, funky-rat said:

I was also irritated with her on the one where the woman said she hit the curb, but the woman behind her said she hit her.  Those markings did NOT line up - the defendant was right.  But JJ was so narrow-sighted that she ruled against her - even when the plaintiff admitted she had NO INSURANCE.  

Oh yeah, JJ thinks she's an expert at reconstructing accidents - yet quite often her theory flies in the face of physics.

• Love 7
27 minutes ago, SRTouch said:

Also, not only didn't the kid stop, but he kept peddling as he sped towards the car.

Oh yeah, JJ thinks she's an expert at reconstructing accidents - yet quite often her theory flies in the face of physics.

One of the hilariously bad comments JJ made was along the lines of:  "Imagine you were driving at 50 mph, instead of 10 when the bike hit you!" Um, I think her collarbone and bicycle damage would have been just as bad had she run into a parked car! (Which essentially, she did!)

• Love 5
1 hour ago, funky-rat said:

Whether it was right or wrong is debatable, and she shouldn't have entered into it in the first place, but it was still a crappy thing to do to someone, and with the home being sold, they could have given her a pass on 2 months rent,

Yes, it's crappy and it sucks, but people take care of themselves first and maybe the homeowners couldn't afford to give her a pass or any cash back, or just didn't want to. They're not responsible for her decisions and she was on alert about the divorce. In the JJ case, they just stopped paying rent even though they continued to live there and felt fully justified in that. If you live there, you pay. So many people on this show seem to think that if everything isn't perfect, they can just stop paying for cars and houses.

1 hour ago, Mondrianyone said:

It's all pretty archaic (and I write this from the perspective of a straight woman), and the older a person is when first embarking on it, the sillier it seems to me.  But if giving a ring is tantamount to the man marking the woman as his property (and let me say I'd rather be marked with diamonds than peed on),

Although I'm a modern person and an independant woman, I like many "archaic" traditions and find them charming, i.e. I like the idea of the old-fashioned "date" where two people go out, talk and get to know each other, hold hands, flirt, etc, as opposed to the way many of today's hookups happen "Here's a picture of me buck naked. Interested?" I certainly didn't see my engagement ring as my husband "marking" me as his property. He'd laugh at that notion himself. To me it was and is a gift and a symbol of our committment to each other and I wear it proudly. I bought his wedding ring (with diamonds in it!), cuz - yeah. Why not? He was thrilled. And "marked". ;)

1 hour ago, Mondrianyone said:

what is the point at all of the woman marking herself by paying for and presenting herself with her own ring? 

They're desperate to get married, can't see past the visions of Royal wedding fripperies and also want to make sure they get a ring ostentatious enough to impress everyone. I don't recall seeing any plaintiff suing for the ring she bought herself that was less than 5K and one was even 8K! But, yeah - I'm with you. I can't see myself flashing my ring around had I paid for it myself!

• Love 10
1 hour ago, AngelaHunter said:

Yes, it's crappy and it sucks, but people take care of themselves first and maybe the homeowners couldn't afford to give her a pass or any cash back, or just didn't want to. They're not responsible for her decisions and she was on alert about the divorce. In the JJ case, they just stopped paying rent even though they continued to live there and felt fully justified in that. If you live there, you pay. So many people on this show seem to think that if everything isn't perfect, they can just stop paying for cars and houses.

If they're telling the truth, they did say that they started looking for a new place to live as soon as the defendant refused to make the repairs they needed to obtain the mortgage.  It's a tough spot.  I would personally never get involved in something like that for that exact reason.

• Love 2

I didn’t buy my engagement ring but I did buy our Wedding bands. Spent $200 just plain white gold. My engagement ring is already a diamond,why do I need 2?

A lot of people these days are more concerned with trying to be being better then everyone else,their engagement becomes all about the “Ring”. The wedding becomes a drawn out show that they constantly feel the need to talk about for a year before the actual day,it’s all an attention “show” how expensive & perfect it can be thanks to Pinterest (I’m so tired of seeing the same Gold & pink or rustic themes!) 

Got married 2 years ago we were (24 & 28)

We didn’t fall into the hype of wedding craziness. No engagement photos,(his mom tried to make us) we didn’t stress out over silly things like flowers,we didn’t make stupid center piece craft projects from Michael’s craft store. No melodramatic bridesmaid dress drama.

Family & friends were upset when we told them we were going off to Hawaii to get married on a beach & we wanted it to be just us,but we had a photographer so there would be photo’s. Best 10 days ever & no stress! 

• Love 14

Either my eyes are playing tricks on me, or the first defendant on the 4:30 show had a haircut tribute to JJ. On his right side was the scales of justice and the back, I could make out “ONLY JUDY CAN JUDGE ME.”

Sadly, it didn’t help his case.

327C1DED-380A-44A6-A780-484CD135C142.jpeg

• Love 8
(edited)
4 hours ago, Brattinella said:

One of the hilariously bad comments JJ made was along the lines of:  "Imagine you were driving at 50 mph, instead of 10 when the bike hit you!" Um, I think her collarbone and bicycle damage would have been just as bad had she run into a parked car! (Which essentially, she did!)

As they say, do you know when JJ is completely full of shit in reconstructing an accident? When her lips are moving.

4 hours ago, SRTouch said:

She had stopped, leaving him ample room to bike around the front of her car or, more sensibly, to stop. That is a basic rule any wise cyclist knows and applies: do not hit a bigger, more massive object. Not only did he not do any of this, he swerved right, smack into her car!

JJ's explanation that the bush was obstructing her view would only have made sense if it had been planted 3 or 4 feet closer to the street.

3 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

I bought his wedding ring (with diamonds in it!), cuz - yeah. Why not? He was thrilled. And "marked". ;)

A mature reciprocal arrangement, infinitely more modern than the attitudes we see on these court shows. And if you think people are dazzled by unrealistic wedding expectations, think how the next few months will be in the wake of that upcoming royal wedding silliness that the dumb media keeps breathlessly covering this week.

Edited by Florinaldo
  • Love 5
(edited)

Either my eyes are playing tricks on me, or the first defendant on the 4:30 show had a haircut tribute to JJ. On his right side was the scales of justice and the back, I could make out “ONLY JUDY CAN JUDGE ME.”

I saw the scales and was wondering what his motivation was. I also noticed the random crookedy necktie over his t-shirt. But most of all I noticed his mama trying to bail that big boy out. No wonder he's a ding-a-ling - his mama has to blabber all his bizness to JJ about how pitiful her son is, and oh, how she had to drive her grandson to PRIVATE SCHOOL - meanwhile Carved Headed Necktie Loser is trying to remember the story they concocted on the car ride on the way to the studio. 

Sorry, but if you gots kids and yer mama has gotta come and bail your sorry self out, you've got more problems than a bad haircut. 

I tried to ride my bike a couple of years ago (after years of not riding) and I rode my bicycle right into a very tall shrub and my front wheel got stuck (yes, it's a visual). Apparently I continued to pedal after I hit  the shrub, which my children continue to remind me of with hilarity every now and then. 

Edited by ItsHelloPattiagain
  • Love 10
2 minutes ago, Florinaldo said:

think how the next few months will be in the wake of that upcoming royal wedding silliness that the dumb media keeps breathlessly covering this week.

Oh, yes. For sure I'll watch this nonsense. I wonder if the new royal bride will have weights sewn into the hem of her dress to keep the eyes of commoners from seeing the New Royal Knees? But that's just me, who thought the other Royal Weddding of the jug-headed Prince Charlie to his new brood mare was a travesty and bad joke on the taxpayers who foot the bill for all this bullshit.

32 minutes ago, popcornchicken said:

Looking forward to seeing this cast of characters later. Are you sure that's what it said? His head looks way too small and pointed for all those words, unless he had them written on that large fat roll at the base of his little skull?

• Love 5
58 minutes ago, popcornchicken said:

a haircut tribute to JJ.

Oh what a fashion plate! The (fortunately) immense collarless T shirt with the tie's knot hanging half way down to his waist was the first thing I noticed. Just to add to this, a side shot showed that he was apparently wearing brightly colored circus clown pants under the T shirt. At least he did have a suit jacket and a tie, more than some of these folks manage for court.

• Love 7
44 minutes ago, Brattinella said:

She looks like a koi pond carp.

17 minutes ago, DoctorK said:

The (fortunately) immense collarless T shirt with the tie's knot hanging half way down to his waist was the first thing I noticed.

How I love you peeps! And thanks to "PreviouslyTV" for giving us such a lovely snark forum where we need not worry about tearful snowflakes being offended at any comment that is not generic or carefully sensitive to every damned thing under the sun. IMO, anyone who chooses an internationally-watched TV show to air their filthy laundry is fair game.

Yeah, I'm drunk (again). And what of it?

• Love 10

@AngelaHunter, I'm pulling a bar stool up next to you so clink! It's my birthday weekend, I am sick of these litigants, and had a long day of volunteering at school today (only three more weeks), so I am effing entitled to tie one on. And I don't mean the tie that fat Albert had on today. 

• Love 9
28 minutes ago, stewedsquash said:

Does she have a mouth shaped like a sideways figure eight with a bunch of teeth? That is what I saw a couple weeks ago, like a cartoon fish. And there is one who is always giving over acted facial expressions, looking to others for confirmation of her reaction and no one pays her any mind at all.

Hmmm, both of those descriptions could fit!  Definitely over-acted.  So glad your hubby is better!

@Spunkygal Happy Birthday!!

@angelahunter If I was still a drinkin' gal, I would raise one in your honor!

• Love 4

Are you sure that's what it said? His head looks way too small and pointed for all those words, unless he had them written on that large fat roll at the base of his little skull?

Somebody once called that a "pack o' hot dogs" on the back of some big dude's neck and that's all I can think about when I see it. 

I too saw the carp with the glasses in the gallery. She amused me to no end. I remember back in the Wapner days when they would bring high school kids to the courtroom - of course back then there was no social media so if you acted the fool and your friends were in detention and missed your appearance, did you even exist? 

Happy happy birthday Spunkygal! I would be honored to be y'all's designated driver and I promise not to drive your car into a shrub but keep my foot on the gas pedal. And I promise I won't be practicing my parallel parking while y'all are hanging out at the bar looking for lub in all the wong pwaces. 

• Love 12