Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: All Rise

Message added by Meredith Quill

Community Manager Note

Official notice that the topic of Sean DeMarco is off limits. If you have 1-on-1 thoughts to complete please take it to PM with each other.

If you have questions, contact the forum moderator @PrincessPurrsALot.  Do not discuss this limit to this discussion in here. Doing so will result in a warning. 

• Start Topic

I almost forgot the the thing that made me remember the Harlan case from the first time I viewed it. It was'nt the beard or neck tattoos, or the deluded Mom. It was'nt  the kids drawing on the walls. It was the abandoned chicken he left in the bedroom with no food or water, to die. Yeah, I do believe the homeowners, you can't make shit like that up.

Edited by Patrizio
  • Love 6

Regarding the repeat case today involving Dave (who looked like an extra from Return to Amish) and his two feudin' wimmen: baby-mama Jamie and new "fiancee" Rebecca…did Jamie say that her son is "half-autistic"? How is that possible?

I always wonder about these folks who stumble through life, hooking up with whomever is handy, and having kids willy-nilly. I pity the poor kids.

• Love 2

It was the abandoned chicken he left in the bedroom with no food or water, to die. Yeah, I do believe the homeowners, you can't make shit like that up.

Ugh. I tried to block that part out of my brain. Definitely not made up. What a prince.

she made up her mind before she even got in the courtroom

JJ has more information than we do, and has read, decoded and memorized complaints and answers before she even sees the players. I'm sure there have been many facts about litigants and cases that we never get to hear.

• Love 3

A kid gets PTSD from being bitten by a big dog, becomes afraid of the neurotic family Greyhound, and they end up rehoming it.

Owner of said big dog, who knew the dog was twitchy, and was in denial as usual, didn't have homeowner's insurance to cover his raging beasts, gets to keep his vicious animal.

The $5000 award doesn't even begin to make this fair, but at least it's in the right direction.

Dogs.  Don't get me started.

• Love 1
Wow, never in a million years would I have ever dreamed that the dirtbag named Harlan had so many advocates.

I don't think the intent was to be advocates or defenders of either the plaintiff or the defendant; for my part I was simply commenting on the process and how I saw  JJ as very one-sided in how she conducted that case. That being said, I am sure that there is a lot of information we do not hear about that she finds not only in the written complaints and responses, but also from the research and preliminary interviews her staff conducts with litigants, garnering bits of info she can later drop in as insights. Very similar to how alleged psychics or faith healers mine the crowd beforehand to gather a lot of useful information. That supplementary information most probably figures in how she prejudges a case.

And sometimes, well dressed people are right.

Courts and society in general are positively prejudiced towards people who dress nicely and litigants are usually advised to wear business attire to take advantage of that. Which is why I wondered if the father of four had been advised to mollify his appearance a bit but took no heed. If he came for a job interview at our business for example, where the dress code does not require suit and tie, he would immediately raise a few eyebrows because he looks intimidating; his attitude and personality certainly do not help and would probably be the main reasons I would not hire him.

Extensive PTSD from a dog bite? Give me a break. These days, even a hangnail can be used as a pretext for pleading PTSD. On the other hand, the defendant did very little to act in a sympathetic way or to build a solid argument.

• Love 1

I did not find JJ one sided. He was a self righteous lair with an excuse for everything, she pointed out that the landlord wasn't stealing water, which he roe tended made him too righteous to do, but had a dispute in the process of settling. It's not the same thing at all. He wouldn't answer a straight question about how he supports himself. He didn't offer the info about the pot but had a self righteous explanation. I have rheumatoid arthritis since I was 14 and I would be ashamed to have a pot field and start a fire with it, there are lots of clinics where he could get pot if he needed it, it's obvious he got some doctor to do his bidding, he hasn't had a need for it in seven years, he isn't sick. He has not one but four children, married to neither mothers at 35 he's just now getting his ba, with a mommy clearly standing by and waiting to help he pill the multiple lies about how he supported himself and his kids yet didn't make enough for taxes... Sorry the dude was a defensive JERK using white privilege tos came the system and JJ saw right rough his bs.

I didn't see prejudice, she actually listened to a lot of the backstory even his pretending his ex went to live with his landlord (no. She's renting another place). He starved a chicken and his kids drew on he he walls.

Creep of creeps. Disgusting and more irritating thatn many defendants in his self righteous angry attitude.

Eta: he wasn't ge underdog, he ruined someone else's place. He was defensive because he was the ine who did the damage, the one saying "poor me" is not always the underdog.

Edited by lucindabelle
  • Love 5

Regarding the repeat case today involving Dave (who looked like an extra from Return to Amish) and his two feudin' wimmen: baby-mama Jamie and new "fiancee" Rebecca…did Jamie say that her son is "half-autistic"? How is that possible?

I always wonder about these folks who stumble through life, hooking up with whomever is handy, and having kids willy-nilly. I pity the poor kids.

The child is probably high functioning on the autism spectrum. So it was probably explained to her that he isn't severely autistic, but he's still autistic enough to be categorized as autistic

Extensive PTSD from a dog bite? Give me a break. These days, even a hangnail can be used as a pretext for pleading PTSD. On the other hand, the defendant did very little to act in a sympathetic way or to build a solid argument.

I couldn't unroll my eyes for 10 minutes after hearing that one. I think the Mother is more pissed off at the defendants lack of empathy, than anything else. A neighbor's rottweiler mix bit a pomeranian at a dog park. Neighbor showed enough sympathy: wrapping the pom in his jacket, driving pom and its owner to the emergency vet, and paying for the vet bills, that he didn't end up in court.  And if the pom's owner did sue him, what would the reason? But if he was a wackadoodle like the owners on JJ, he would claimed the pom instigated the attack or his dog wasn't the one that did it or some other nonsense. That kind of attitude just pisses people off even more.

Editing to add... RE: Harlan the single father with 2 families in 2 neighboring countries. The fact is he trashed the place by breaking a door and allowing his children to draw on the walls AND not fixing these things. Based on the well story, it looks like he was trying to blackmail the owner: if they make a big deal out of his home improvements, he would report them about the well.

Edited by Milz
  • Love 4

Extensive PTSD from a dog bite? Give me a break. These days, even a hangnail can be used as a pretext for pleading PTSD.

I was attacked by a vicious dog when I was around the same age as the kid on JJ. They didn't call it PTSD, and my parents didn't take me to a therapist, but It was very traumatic, and I remember having nightmares for quite a while. My parents didn't get rid of our family dog, and I eventually got over my fear of big dogs, but I can definitely sympathize with the kid. 

Edited by CuriousParker
  • Love 1

Extensive PTSD from a dog bite? Give me a break.

I thought the same thing at first until she said they had to get rid of their own dog because the boy was scared to go home and that he had been in continuing therapy. Imo, no one would do either of those unless there was a real problem.

Edited by WhoaWhoKnew
  • Love 3

Extensive PTSD from a dog bite? Give me a break.

My daughter was attacked by a very friendly large dog at age 3. She was not bitten but the dog roughed her up good before I could get her out of the situation. She was afraid of large dogs until her late teens (like hyperventilation afraid)

I couldn't stop looking at the boy's face on the picture where he was bitten. He was really upset. I totally understand the therapy. 

• Love 2

Have you ever been bitten by an out of control dog?  Don't judge unless you have.

Actually I have been bitten by dogs as a child, twice. I did not get PTSD from it, just a general wariness around the beasts until I know to what extent they can be trusted. That's where I am judging from.

I couldn't unroll my eyes for 10 minutes after hearing that one. I think the Mother is more pissed off at the defendants lack of empathy, than anything else.

I think that in many JJ cases, personal animosity is what drives people to bring their issues before this court and in front of a national audience; the need to get their view of events publicly vindicated and to have the other party punished completely takes over and makes them unable to exercise the necessary common sense to either let it go and move on or go through regular channels (although I think many of the people who get a favourable ruling from JJ might not do so in a real court that stricly follows the law).

• Love 1

I think that in many JJ cases, personal animosity is what drives people to bring their issues before this court and in front of a national audience; the need to get their view of events publicly vindicated and to have the other party punished completely takes over and makes them unable to exercise the necessary common sense to either let it go and move on or go through regular channels (although I think many of the people who get a favourable ruling from JJ might not do so in a real court that stricly follows the law).

I agree with you. I think plenty of people bring things to court (JJ's and real small claims) out of personal animosity. Personally, I don't like JJ's premise that 18- 25 year olds are on the same mental level as 5 year olds in terms of responsibility. And those cases drive me up the wall, when she says a 25 year old is a "baby" who doesn't know any better.  

• Love 2

On the dog bite case, I'm a bit confused, I realize that that guy had no coverage for the dogs under his homeowners policy but it sounded like the insurance company had agreed to pay? Why not go against the policy-I'm sure he carried more than the 5k, which is the most the woman is getting from going on JJ. I don't get it.

On the dog bite case, I'm a bit confused, I realize that that guy had no coverage for the dogs under his homeowners policy but it sounded like the insurance company had agreed to pay? Why not go against the policy-I'm sure he carried more than the 5k, which is the most the woman is getting from going on JJ. I don't get it.

The way I understood it was that he had homeowners but they wouldn't pay due to the type of breed his dog was. Many policies have exclusions for certain breeds. My policy lists certain breeds that aren't covered. 

• Love 3

My  homeowners list is: Pits, Huskies, Rotties, Dobermans, Chows, and two more that I can't recall. I think they may also include Wolf Hybrids and German Shepaerds. They also go on to add even mixes of the listed breeds are grounds for cancellation.

They should be adding Dogos and Presa Canarios - those are the new breeds of choice that the thugs are trying to ruin.  Pits aren't big enough anymore.

I had to pull my policy, which is easy to do since I'm my own insurance agent! The dogs excluded from my homeowners policy are: Akitas; Alaskan malamutes; Presa Canarios; Chow chows; Doberman pinschers; German shepherds; Pit bull terriers; Rottweilers; and Siberian huskies. That's not to say I can't own these breeds, but if I wanted to insure against a claim like what happened in that case, I'd have to buy a separate dog owner liability insurance policy (yes, that's a real thing). My dog is a beagle, so he's not on the black list. If you have a dog it's a good idea to make sure your policy doesn't exclude them from liability coverage.

Also, my policy will not cancel me if I have one of these blacklisted dog breeds as long as I have a separate policy that covers them. Your carrier and coverage may vary wildly from mine. As I tell all of my clients: read your policy.

• Love 2

Good evening everyone.  

There was a bit of an issue here today.  I have hidden couple of posts and edited some posts that quoted and responded to the hidden posts.

It is unacceptable to speculate about someone's sexuality based on appearance.

Please remember, when you see an issue report the problem and do not engage.

Also?  Be nice to each other!

I think that in many JJ cases, personal animosity is what drives people to bring their issues before this court and in front of a national audience; the need to get their view of events publicly vindicated and to have the other party punished completely takes over and makes them unable to exercise the necessary common sense to either let it go and move on or go through regular channels

Or else they just want to vomit up a bunch of crap about the other person i.e. the hallterviews where we hear about people who are druggies, pothead, don't pay their child support, beat their dogs, eat babies for sport, etc etc. you get the idea. Sometimes they are so convinced they are RIGHT because what they FEEL - guess what folks, it's course and the law doesn't give two sh&ts about how you FEEL (like "I feel I don't have to pay off my loan because the plaintiff harassed me because I OWED her the money and it caused me emotional distress") 

• Love 4

I hope this is not too too far off topic, but the greyhound-owning mother ADMITTED that her dog was having issues PRIOR to the son having been bitten.  One can only surmise that the GH would have be returned anyway, since she was not responding well to having been adopted.  They are generally NOT good family pets.  It is not their fault, it's just the way it is.  I am not doubting that the child in question may have had some lingering discomfort, but it appears the plaintiff would have had to surrender their dog anyway, whether or not the son had been bitten. 

• Love 1

Arejay, I must respectfully disagree. I have had several Greys and they are excellent family pets. Extremely gentle and well behaved. There are problem dogs in every breed.

If you listened carefully, the problem with the Grey was a bed or sleep aggression issue. That is easily remedied by not starling the dog when sleeping or standing over the bed in an intimidating way. The old saying " Let sleeping dogs lie." did not come out of the blue.

My problem with the case was PTSD. I am sick to death of that term being used for when life shit happens. We are raising a generation of giant woosies that won 't be able to handle the fact that life ain't all fartin' rainbows.

• Love 7

I have yet to see a fartin' rainbow or see anyone fart a rainbow. But I'll be sure to include that into my vocabulary. :-)

The evening reruns have been pretty good lately: Oscar the 80-something married man who loaned money to a 30-something single woman, The self-described non-instigator instigator teen who claims the defendant keyed and dented her car after non-instigator instigator threatened to slash the defendant's tires twice. It was priceless because as soon as instigator began talking her mom looked like she wanted to smack the crap out of her for lying.

Is it just me, or have there been a bunch of teens suing other teens?  I don't even think it would have occurred to me to sue someone when I was that age. Is it "I want to be on TV and this is the only way I can" or really a mindset of "If I don't like it, I can just sue" ? Or just a microcosm of our society.  I really just kind of like the idiot trainwrecks - more entertaining, and I don't have to think too much. Especially when Judy and Byrd just giggle. Poor saps. 

Of course, I could just get a life...

• Love 2

I need help. Someone more insightful than I needs to explain exactly what are the (deeply hidden) charms of "Deandre" - illiterate, non-working, semi-homeless, 29 year old (!!?)fugly thief who cannot pay rent anywhere but can pay for silly luxeries like getting his car windows tinted,  a bunch of muddy neck tats and earrings. He has a "whole lot" (HOW? WHY?) of women, including the seemingly intelligent, educated and very attractive plaintiff, who are more than willing to do and pay anything for him after he accosts them on the street or at a gas station. He needs to bottle whatever he has and sell it. He'll be rich!

I'm just sorry we didn't get to hear the whole "seedy" story.

Mr. Wilson, slum lord, who is above taking pictures to document damage so he can keep security deposits? You, sir, are a tool and a pompous windbag.

• Love 6

Deandre, 29 (HA!) years old and oh GOD what a cretinous, ugly, smirking waste of humanity! "I never pay taxes!"  How does he capture these women?  And Glenn, another victim, says "Oh yeah I paid him off the books".  DURR!  18 months probation, really?!  and that text "I took Glenn stuff and Sacha stuff but I would never take YOUR stuff".

• Love 5

oh GOD what a cretinous, ugly, smirking waste of humanity!

Don't you love the camera operators on this show? They make sure to capture the nastiest views of litigants, in this case, the profile of Deandre.

If a whole bunch of women consider this to be a prize of some sort, I weep for them.

• Love 1
I DO wonder how much seedier this story could have been?

Well, the plaintiff's witness ran a credit repair company (most of those companies are pretty sketchy) so I'm guessing it could have been much seedier if JJ let the story go on further.

That Deandre was a charmer--I can totally see why women fell for his scammer ways.

• Love 2

Deandre was countersuing for his share of an illegal tax scheme (plaintiff was going to declare him as a dependent)--plaintiff did not pay him his share of the loot for a phony tax credit.  I'm surprised JJ didn't add that courts can't help litigants enforce unlawful contracts.

• Love 1

Deandre was countersuing for his share of an illegal tax scheme (plaintiff was going to declare him as a dependent)--plaintiff did not pay him his share of the loot for a phony tax credit.  I'm surprised JJ didn't add that courts can't help litigants enforce unlawful contracts.

She vehemently denied it, he had no proof, so in JJspeak "it didn't happen."

She vehemently denied it, he had no proof, so in JJspeak "it didn't happen."

Well, that makes sense.  Good thing for plaintiff, because, as JJ did say, IRS agents are watching her show day and night to troll for violators.  I have to say, I had never heard her say that before.

Well, the plaintiff's witness ran a credit repair company (most of those companies are pretty sketchy) so I'm guessing it could have been much seedier if JJ let the story go on further.

And then there was that moment when Glenn said that he'd hired Deandre as "Um, my, uh, personal assistant. Like a butler." JJ interrupted him and said something about not elaborating on that part because if she read the defendant's statement aloud the whole case would get a lot seedier. Jeez, must she drop intrigue bombs like that and then leave us hanging?!

But yeah, I'd love to know what kind of charisma Deandre is squirting.....the lady with the kids who was "just friends" with him met him while she was walking with her children and he drove by and spoke out the car window to her. Plaintiff passed by him at a gas station and was enchanted enough to give him her phone number. Glenn gave him a job and a place to live. Maybe Samantha or Endora cast one of those likeability spells on him.

• Love 5

Like a butler."

I missed that, which was probably the best part of the whole case. A BUTLER? Really?? Ha...

Maybe Samantha or Endora cast one of those likeability spells on him.

Freaking hilarious, and I can think of no other explanation either. That's one powerful spell!

Tick Tock Lady definitely seemed a little...off.  And I get why JJ said she should be suing UPS.  But I didn't get JJ's early assertion that the guy wasn't responsible for any damage to the clock because the clock looked fine externally.

• Love 2

The HOA husband was clearly in the right, but he seemed like he was doing that downcast glare trying to intimidate JJ. Maybe it was something physical that she knew about? Or maybe he was a seething cauldron of hot tempered. I wish the plaintiff had a video of the pissed off "chicken dance"!

• Love 3

I hope it did. It was a good one; he was saying Judge Judy was only in it for the ratings and he should have taken it to People's Court and so on before he got booted. What a pompous idiot. (I almost wish he had taken it to People's Court; Judge Milian loves these Home Improvement/Damage cases).

• Love 1

I hope it did. It was a good one; he was saying Judge Judy was only in it for the ratings and he should have taken it to People's Court and so on before he got booted. What a pompous idiot. (I almost wish he had taken it to People's Court; Judge Milian loves these Home Improvement/Damage cases).

I caught this epi on a rerun and I think the downcast look and kind of weird posture on the defendants husband might have been a sign of some type of autism or Asperger's syndrome. He was a bit odd even in the halterview and someone like "Jimmie" is the kind of guy who would try and bully someone like that.

• Love 1
Okay, the downward-cast-eyes defendant was scaring the HOLY SHIT out of me!  What the hell was wrong with him?  He looked like a demon!

He was spooking me, too. I'm wondering if he was on some sort of medication.....I used to work with a guy who was diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease, and the meds he took gave him a similar stony-faced glower.