Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: All Rise

Message added by Meredith Quill

Community Manager Note

Official notice that the topic of Sean DeMarco is off limits. If you have 1-on-1 thoughts to complete please take it to PM with each other.

If you have questions, contact the forum moderator @PrincessPurrsALot.  Do not discuss this limit to this discussion in here. Doing so will result in a warning. 

• Start Topic

2 minutes ago, BusyOctober said:

Crowding Dragon - Flying Helicopter Tiger Mom

Haha! Contrary to  the way I usually feel after a case (where I just want the litigants to STFU and get out) I too wanted to know more about this particular brand of weirdness. Why was Daddy in Shanghai and why was it a big secret? Did he dump TigerMom? Has she never been alone for a second of her life and couldn't bear the thought? Or did Dad fly the coop because his wife skedaddled off to be with Baby Boy? I wanted to know about this real estate business thing. And yeah, the desk? Sounds pretty awesome. I got so bogged down in all this pondering and dazzled by son's hair and shirt I have no idea for what Sonny was suing, or maybe Mom was suing?

• Love 9
18 hours ago, Brattinella said:

Oh MY.  The slovenly defendant with her 8 yr old hooligan daughter.  Said daughter draws on the walls and on the blinds and also ON THE CEILING.  But daughter 'gets put on punishment every time".  HUH?  Beatings are in order.  So not only drawings on the walls, but holes in the walls and infestations of mice, bedbugs and roaches.  Marvelous!  UGH.

And of course Granny says they treat her place just fine now that they've moved in with her - mommy and her cousins probably trashed Granny's place when they were kids. OTOH, maybe mommy just couldn't see how bad the place looked - she was blind as a bat... thought for a second those photos might be sniff-a-vision. 

• Love 9
5 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

Haha! Contrary to  the way I usually feel after a case (where I just want the litigants to STFU and get out) I too wanted to know more about this particular brand of weirdness. Why was Daddy in Shanghai and why was it a big secret? Did he dump TigerMom? Has she never been alone for a second of her life and couldn't bear the thought? Or did Dad fly the coop because his wife skedaddled off to be with Baby Boy? I wanted to know about this real estate business thing. And yeah, the desk? Sounds pretty awesome. I got so bogged down in all this pondering and dazzled by son's hair and shirt I have no idea for what Sonny was suing, or maybe Mom was suing?

I don't recall what they were suing for either!  They made it sound like they paid a check for $1,550.00 which was a security deposit, but the deposit was only $250.  I was very confused.  lol  Sonny boy looked very indignant that he lost.

• Love 5
On 3/28/2018 at 2:29 PM, Brattinella said:

Oh MY.  The slovenly defendant with her 8 yr old hooligan daughter.  Said daughter draws on the walls and on the blinds and also ON THE CEILING.  But daughter 'gets put on punishment every time".  HUH?  Beatings are in order.  So not only drawings on the walls, but holes in the walls and infestations of mice, bedbugs and roaches.  Marvelous!  UGH.

Does the child have Marfan Syndrome (among other characteristics of the anomaly, people with the syndrome are often taller than their genetics would cause them to be), does she channel Spiderman in wall-walking techniques (albeit reserving her acrobatics for the inside walls instead of the outside), or does the mom keep an eight-foot ladder inside the house so that the child can easily write on the ceilings? I'm not being sarcastic. I'm genuinely curious as to how the kid accomplishes the feat of writing or drawing on the ceiling.

And that punishment that the kid is "put on" each time she leaves her artwork on permanent or semi-permanent fixtures is obviously highly effective. I need to speak with the woman in order to pick up some parenting techniques so that, you know, in case my kids someday decide to begin writing and drawing on walls, blinds, and ceilings.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, BusyOctober said:

The whole Mommy & Me case was so whack-a doo.  I really wanted to hear more about this dynamic!  Mommy moves kid to college & decides to stay on as care taker? It sounds like John-John was living off campus in a rented room vs. any housing associated with the school.  I could kinda get it if he were in an apartment or even a loft space on his own, and Crowding Dragon - Flying Helicopter Tiger Mom stayed a few weeks to get him settled. But they were jammed into one room in a house filled with other renters???  And I really wanted to hear more about the "desk" she set up for herself in the front of the house!  Was she playing concierge? Or hotel detective?  I need to know what the F is UP, people!  And she's so over-protective and pervasive in her kid's life, that she sleeps at the foot of his bed like an old fashioned amah, but Sonny Boy is allowed to dye his hair magenta on Mommy's watch?  This clan needs its own reality show.

I was so grossed out by the description of the condition of that poor lady's house after Ms. Mumbles and her Tasmanian Devil spawn destroyed it.  She sounded so proud when she said she always gave "punishments" for the 8 yo's bad behavior.  Well, genius, I'd venture a guess that it didn't work since she kept up the bad behavior.  It's a good thing I had CC'g on or else I wouldn't have understood what nonsense that woman was mush-mouthing!  And then her mother was just as intelligible! I fear for the teachers and students at the school where Ms. Mumbles' kids attend.  

One of my former co-worker's kids attended Berkeley.   Her kid lived in an apartment off campus.  My co-worker went to visit for parents' weekend (for freshmen). My co-worker liked the vibes in Berkeley, so she went back for a long weekend the next month.  Her kid sent her a registered letter following the second visit. The letter, signed by the daughter and all of her roommates, specifically uninvited her from visiting again. It was a bold but necessary move on the part of of the daughter since mom and dad paid her rent.  My co-worker apparently had every intention of making the dive apartment in Berkeley her home away from home.

I cannot even imagine a parent actually moving in there with a college kid both from the gross-out moldy-yet-still-intact umbilical cord aspect  to the fact that those apartments are nasty.

23 hours ago, poeticlicensed said:

I didn't understand the mom who moved in to her kid's college rental. Makes no sense. I would love to know the backstory. I was watching and Mr. Poetic Jr (my 20 year old) walked in. I told him that I was thinking that when we move him into his dorm this fall, I thought I might move in with him. He looked at me like I had two heads.

Were there other roommates in the apartment with the two of them?

• Love 6
48 minutes ago, jilliannatalia said:

And that punishment that the kid is "put on" each time she leaves her artwork on permanent or semi-permanent fixtures is obviously highly effective.

Maybe the kid can't understand Momma either, if she ever actually told her not to write all over the walls, which I doubt. She didn't appear to be someone who would take special care of someone else's property. But yeah, the writing on the ceiling? Far out. I'm considerably taller than the average eight-year old, but I couldn't write on my ceiling without a ladder. Really long crayon?

• Love 5

I've enjoyed all the stupid wedding cases this week, since we are planning Daughter Toes' summer wedding. Signed and printed copies of all contracts (and references checked, of all things! at our house.) Stupid bitch today who got TEN bridesmaid's dresses, plus two flower girls (who knows this many people?!?!) for five hundred freaking dollars, and had the big, hairy balls to sue for $3200?  Shoot me now. Our whole society is so f'ed up, that people think they can do this (and DO!), and often win.  Holy shit.

On 3/28/2018 at 6:59 PM, Quof said:

Rainbow Brite,

Perfect, and cracking me up!!!

10 hours ago, BusyOctober said:

Crowding Dragon - Flying Helicopter Tiger Mom

Can NOT quit laughing!  Perfect!!

• Love 12
55 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

Really long crayon?

It really wouldn't surprise me. Crayola has tried so many marketing schemes over the past few years -- scented crayons, textured crayons, crayons that write only on paper (those might have been a good choice for this mom),  flavored crayons, Spanish crayons (because Hispanics color differently; they already had the color words on them in both languages), extra thick crayons, crayons for the bathtub, etc., etc., ad nauseum. Really long crayons would seem like the next logical step.

• Love 4

So when Rainbow Brite, finds a partner and decides to have sex, will helicopter mom still be sleeping on the mattress, on the floor in the same room?  And what was up with her giving her underage son alcohol?  It was a very strange dynamic indeed. Didn't the landlord say he offered her another room in the house, but she refused?

• Love 6
4 hours ago, howiveaddict said:

So when Rainbow Brite, finds a partner and decides to have sex, will helicopter mom still be sleeping on the mattress, on the floor in the same room?  And what was up with her giving her underage son alcohol?  It was a very strange dynamic indeed. Didn't the landlord say he offered her another room in the house, but she refused?

If I understood correctly, he thought she was just staying a couple days. Since another of his tenant wasn't due to move in right away, he offered to let Rainbow's mommy sleep in that room.... course, that was too far away from Rainbow. Besides, she ended up being there way past the time defendant expected her to be there.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, howiveaddict said:

But didn't the landlord say she'd have had to pay extra for the other room?  I mean . . . how DARE he!!!!!

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

But didn't the landlord say she'd have had to pay extra for the other room?  I mean . . . how DARE he!!!!!

I think he offered to let her stay in another room for a few days for free, although he probably thought that she'd leave a cleaning tip when she left.  However, if she intended to stay long term in another room she'd most definitely have had to pay rent.

• Love 5

Exactly! While I did feel the slightest smidgen of sympathy for the mother because she looked so thoroughly beaten by the events  that had unfolded,  odds are heavily weighted in favor of  the premise that the girl had issues long before the mother tried to effectively deal with them. 

Regarding the lippy Ms. Makayla, even if I felt beaten down by my teen's attitudes and actions (and I had two teen girls when I went through my ugly, ugly divorce) there would still be at the very least some kind of outrage on my face, and most likely I would have been pinching them under the arm in the very tender fleshy part and giving it a quick but excruciatingly painful twist for mouthing off to authority. That's why Makayla is a brat and most likely headed for a career in mediocrity at her young age. 

SandyToes, sounds like you got things under control for the wedding. My oldest works in the wedding industry and has done wedding planning in the recent past as well as planning her own wedding. My youngest also planned her own wedding with her groom and since so many of the bridesmaids were on limited budgets at that time, they all wore bright pink chiffon non-bridesmaid dresses we found on some random website (I think it was Newport News). The dresses were $40 on clearance and I ordered 8 dresses in various sizes before they sold out - all six bridesmaids were able to find a dress from that pile of dresses (even the two pregnant ones) and we were able to send back the remaining two dresses for credit. (and the girls paid me back for their dresses) They each wore their choice of shoes and wore simple hairstyles. The bride gave each one a necklace for a bridesmaid gift. The dresses looked amazing in the pictures. 

• Love 6
On 3/28/2018 at 5:23 PM, AngelaHunter said:

Wild. Checked. Didn't see any for 13K but found a lovely craftsman for 35K for which I'd glad spend 75+K to turn it into a model home. I'm moving to Cleveland, but I'm not renting to Summer and her brood.

Rainbow Brite (Heh!) made me think of a song my mother used to sing to us, "He's a young thing and cannot leave his mother."

I remember that song from the antiquated music text books that my parochial school purchased from the nearby public school district for pennies on the dollar. It was called "Billy Boy," I believe.

Edited by jilliannatalia
because I cannot type
  • Love 5

I just watched the case of the bros who went on a surfing trip to Nicaragua...I don't understand why they showed us any of it.  I figured there would be an 'aha!' moment where they were out drinking the previous night or they knew each other in high school or something....but there was just nothing.  JJ just felt something was off and dismissed the case...so why show anything?  Bizarre.  Also, I also thought she figured it was a fake case when she first said she felt the case was off...and then she jumped on him about it.  Weird.  

Edited by VartanFan
  • Love 9
16 minutes ago, VartanFan said:

I just watched the case of the bros who went on a surfing trip to Nicaragua...I don't understand why they showed us any of it.  I figured there would be an 'aha!' moment where they were out drinking the previous night or they knew each other in high school or something....but there was just nothing.  JJ just felt something was off and dismissed the case...so why show anything?  Bizarre.  Also, I also thought she figured it was a fake case when she first said she felt the case was off...and then she jumped on him about it.  Weird.  

My belief is that the two best buds cooked this up so they could split the cash award.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, ItsHelloPattiagain said:

My oldest works in the wedding industry and has done wedding planning in the recent past as well as planning her own wedding. My youngest also planned her own wedding with her groom and since so many of the bridesmaids were on limited budgets at that time, they all wore bright pink chiffon non-bridesmaid dresses we found on some random website (I think it was Newport News). The dresses were $40 on clearance and I ordered 8 dresses in various sizes before they sold out - all six bridesmaids were able to find a dress from that pile of dresses (even the two pregnant ones) and we were able to send back the remaining two dresses for credit. (and the girls paid me back for their dresses) They each wore their choice of shoes and wore simple hairstyles. The bride gave each one a necklace for a bridesmaid gift. The dresses looked amazing in the pictures. 

No, No, NO, that's ALL WRONG!!! You'll never make it onto court TV with that crazy story. Now, maybe if you talk about the crazy stripper at the girls' night out before the rehearsal dinner, or how the bridesmaids were all snatching off wigs and keying cars out in the parking lot after getting the bums rush at the bar...

• Love 8
1 hour ago, jilliannatalia said:

It was called "Billy Boy," I believe.

Yes. My mother knew all the words, which I will not write out here.

41 minutes ago, VartanFan said:

I just watched the case of the bros who went on a surfing trip to Nicaragua...I don't understand why they showed us any of it.

Thank you. Now I know what to skip over when I view today's cases. Drunken, silly boys are on my list of "Things I Hate", along with cell phone cases and hearing about unfortunate animals made victims of the dumbass fools we see here.

• Love 3
57 minutes ago, SRTouch said:

No, No, NO, that's ALL WRONG!!! You'll never make it onto court TV with that crazy story. Now, maybe if you talk about the crazy stripper at the girls' night out before the rehearsal dinner, or how the bridesmaids were all snatching off wigs and keying cars out in the parking lot after getting the bums rush at the bar...

And a pekingese MUST be injured!

• Love 6
32 minutes ago, WhoaWhoKnew said:

21 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

By the best man's pit bull!

Have to laugh, as that WOULD be court TV worthy - even though I'd probably skip it.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, VartanFan said:

I just watched the case of the bros who went on a surfing trip to Nicaragua...I don't understand why they showed us any of it.

So that JJ could add to her personal grandiose mythology of the truth seeker who can smell out fake cases thanks to ther sixth, seventh and eigth senses combined, without even bothering to examine the facts of the case or listen to the pleadings and evidence.

Perhaps she was correct in her assessment, but she did not allow us plebeians the chance to verify it for ourselves.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Florinaldo said:

So that JJ could add to her personal grandiose mythology of the truth seeker who can smell out fake cases thanks to ther sixth, seventh and eigth senses combined, without even bothering to examine the facts of the case or listen to the pleadings and evidence.

Perhaps she was correct in her assessment, but she did not allow us plebeians the chance to verify it for ourselves.

Exactly.  That would have been more entertaining than more cases where JJ constantly repeats herself.  I'm getting so tired of those catch-phrases:  Listening ears, two ears/one mouth, tell the truth/don't need a good memory, four corners, no questions, um is not an answer, where did you think you were going today, etc. etc.

• Love 10
5 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

Yes. My mother knew all the words, which I will not write out here.

Thanks. Having to sing the song in fourth grade was traumatizing enough.  

Edited by jilliannatalia
because I cannot type
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Brattinella said:

My mother used to sing to me, one song was Billy Boy. Fond memories (and I know all the words, too).

Can she make a cherry pie,

Billy Boy, Billy, Boy?

Can she make a cherry pie,

Charming Billy? (Or was it "Darling Billy"? My brain blocked out part of it.)

Imagine singing it with a nun keeping time by banging her pointer on her wooden stool.

• Love 5
On 3/29/2018 at 8:08 PM, jilliannatalia said:

Does the child have Marfan Syndrome (among other characteristics of the anomaly, people with the syndrome are often taller than their genetics would cause them to be), does she channel Spiderman in wall-walking techniques (albeit reserving her acrobatics for the inside walls instead of the outside), or does the mom keep an eight-foot ladder inside the house so that the child can easily write on the ceilings? I'm not being sarcastic. I'm genuinely curious as to how the kid accomplishes the feat of writing or drawing on the ceiling.

And that punishment that the kid is "put on" each time she leaves her artwork on permanent or semi-permanent fixtures is obviously highly effective. I need to speak with the woman in order to pick up some parenting techniques so that, you know, in case my kids someday decide to begin writing and drawing on walls, blinds, and ceilings.

I don't recall what rooms the artwork was in, but if it was the bedroom, she probably had a bunk  or loft bed. We finally got my daughter a new bed when she got a little older and a little taller and started hitting her head in the on the ceiling when she was getting in and out of her loft bed.  But even when she was pretty small, she could kneel on the bed and reach the ceiling

If the art was in the kitchen or dining room, She may have stood on a table. Could also climb up on countertops in the kitchen.

Edited by ElleMo
Typos
  • Love 5
20 hours ago, Spunkygal said:
20 hours ago, WhoaWhoKnew said:

By the best man's pit bull!

But only if the bride sued for pain and suffering since the pekingese couldn't walk down the aisle as the honorary ring bearer with that jeweled collar she boughten it - she could sue for the cost for the entire wedding, her gown (that her cousin made from an old tablecloth her granny left her that was irreplaceable) and all the pigs in the blanket from Costco which didn't get eaten because everybody was drunk and serving themselves out of the expensive liquor because the bartender was busy keying the maid of honor's car. 

• Love 8

I should be happy with new eps (at least new to me) but... Joby and Bonnie, the affianced carnival workers/online students? Like, shit. Wtf? Are they working the sideshow and doing karaoke on the side? And Cynthia? Was she wearing go-go boots? She don't do "nuthin'"? What kind of shenannigans is this? They all bunked in together? They're all broke and Cyn needs to rely on other people  to put a roof over her head and food in her mouth (and underpants on her butt - heh!),  but they're bandying around 400$ phones? And "LaShandra", Cyn's 19-year old cousin nurse? Can someone be an actual nurse at 19? No, really - wtf?

Loren Brisco: Cement-headed, ridiculous dumbass who is such a dumbass he thinks he's cute. News flash: Loren, you looked like an silly, pansy-assed utter tool. Too bad he simply cannot comprehend words of one syllable. "I didn't "boughten" anything," JJ tells him but whoosh! right over his cement head like a lead balloon.

Ms. Campbell has been watching too many court shows, with her "expert witness"x 5. I needed subtitles for Mr. Holt, but I guess whatever the hell he said (I could only catch "tra-mission") did the trick since Ms. Campbell collected from shady def.

I have no idea what was going on with the Nicaraguan party boys/surfers? Don't care.

• Love 5

Thanks Brattinella!

Silly boy no.1, "I assure you this is a real case!" Who the hell says that? Oh, silly boys who think they're smart. Did he say he works for some financial institution?  Someone lets him do that? Wow. I just hope they have enough sense to be thoroughly humiliated and embarassed at making fools of themselves and leaving empty-handed.

• Love 5
14 hours ago, Brattinella said:

They were just trying to scam the show for some party money.

Yep.  We knew JJ smelled a scam when she was asking the defendant (pretending she cared), "When did you fly in?  Did we provide a nice hotel?  Where did you eat dinner last night?  When are you leaving?"

In other words, "We provided you with one free vacation.  But we're not paying out on the plaintiff's claim, because that would mean we would be providing TWO free vacations.  Fool me once, shame on you.  Fool me twice, shame on me."  If she sends them back to their local court, that means that the production company is utilizing the loophole in the contract that says, "If JJ declines to make a decision and refers you back to your local court, all you're getting from us is what you've already gotten.  Travel and expenses for filming and your minimal appearance fee.  Period."

• Love 7
(edited)
9 hours ago, stewedsquash said:

The whole thing just made me sad, thinking about a child living in a disgusting place. 

I know. I say that all the time, that a case might be excellent snarking material or goofy, amusing etc, but knowing children are being subjected to savages, idiots, drunks, amateur hookers, addicts and morons as parents is distressing and infuriating.

31 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

, "If JJ declines to make a decision and refers you back to your local court, all you're getting from us is what you've already gotten.  Travel and expenses for filming and your minimal appearance fee.  Period."

Maybe some people think that an all-expenses paid night or two in LA is worth being spanked and humiliated on national television. Personally, I'd be so mortified I'd never recover but a lot of the scammers we see don't have the brains to be embarassed. I bet those idiots bragged to their little friends and families how they were going to pull one over on the old lady. Wrong again, boys.

9 hours ago, stewedsquash said:

I swear I almost reflexively semi-shouted Um is not an answer! when the cardiologist

Bahahaha!!!

ETA: I should have read further. Hope your husband made a full recovery!!!

Edited by AngelaHunter
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, AngelaHunter said:

Maybe some people think that an all-expenses paid night or two in LA is worth being spanked and humiliated on national television

I suspect that flying coast to coast in steerage (cheapest tickets available - 3 hour connections, leave at 3 AM or 11 PM) and staying in a show selected hotel with a voucher (generally cheapest room in the hotel and probably not a 4 star hotel) is not as much fun as they might expect.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, DoctorK said:

I suspect that flying coast to coast in steerage (cheapest tickets available - 3 hour connections, leave at 3 AM or 11 PM) and staying in a show selected hotel with a voucher (generally cheapest room in the hotel and probably not a 4 star hotel) is not as much fun as they might expect.

But they're fairly young, and would see something like this as an adventure . . . even what we older, wiser folks might consider "not as much fun."  I suspect the only thing they had to pay for was booze, and that would include what is imbibed on the plane and in the cheap hotel.  Plus there was the potential for an award of enough money to pay their Visa bills for the Nicaraguan surf vacation.  

• Love 5

Catching up here. "Keithesha" (obviously of the generation in which baby girls are given their daddy's first name with an "esha" on the end, giving us bizarre handles like "Stanesha" "Georgesha" and "Johnesha" and on and on...) who had TEN bridesmaids as though this were a royal wedding, but didn't want to pay for the dresses, cheap as they were: Gimme a break, Keithesha. Def was perfect - she said nothing until she was asked and was polite and lovely. The money-grubbing Keithesha leaves empty-handed, but with wonderful wedding memories of suing her dressmaker for the 50$/per dresses.

Mr. Draper being sued by his former lady friend: He's been totally disabled and sucking up the taxpayer's money since he was 40 years old. His disability only allowed him to work and get paid under the table for THIRTY years. He's still working the con, getting over 4K from plaintiff for a "business venture" - yes, he's starting a business at age 70 (his severe disabliltiy does not preclude him being a professional drive) and the expenses include him purchasing bling, car insurance and stuff from Best Buy for himself. Why didn't he spend some of that free money on teeth? The con ends here, Draper.

Mr. Plut is suing his lawyer. I think this was the pinnacle of children living with parental units. Mr. Plat appeared to be over 70 yet was living with HIS daddy (who must have been over 90) and it fairly took dynamite to get him out of the house when Daddy finally passed to the Great Beyond. He didn't want to pay the lawyer ("Foffel - rhymes with "waffle") and Mr. Foffel? He doesn't have any evidence. Why would a lawyer keep records, cancelled checks, etc,  on a client who didn't pay him? Durrr. Very difficult to get a coherent answer from either, so both left with nothing.

• Love 7
On 31/03/2018 at 10:35 AM, AZChristian said:

What's ironic is her own tendency to talk twice as much as she listens.

And to say only half as much.

On 30/03/2018 at 8:28 PM, AuntiePam said:

I'm getting so tired of those catch-phrases:  Listening ears, two ears/one mouth, tell the truth/don't need a good memory, four corners, no questions, um is not an answer, where did you think you were going today, etc. etc.

At her age, renewing her repertory of catch-phrases and bromides would understandably be a bit much to expect.

Having been on the bench for so long, JJ should know that "good memory" often needs some work and that not everyone can instantaneously perfectly recall events; that is why witnesses's statements are considered unreliable evidence until they have been challenged and verified by repeated questioning, which can ultimately jog it back to a more exact representation of what happened, because memory is fluid and very fallible. On second thought, she must know all that, but she prefers making a show to facts.

Her most annoying recurrent put-down is "My parents did not pay for 7 years of law school for me to deal with pots and pans". I wish someone would take her by the shoulders and says: "JJ if you wanted to make precedent-setting decisions in criminal law or constitutional matters, you should have taken the relevant career path: you became a family court judge, and now you are in a TV Small Claims court, emphasis on the Small ; deal with it and do your job without peremptorily dismissing matters that you consider to be far beneath you but are financially important to these people". Byrd could not do it, for obvious reasons of job security.

She also has these mannerisms that make her look like a clownish schoolmarm: banging the desk with her pen, her loud "shussshes" or waving her arms like a spastic puppet to get a litigant to shut up.

18 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

"I assure you this is a real case!" Who the hell says that?

JJ challended the veracity of the case at the very start and expressed her skepticism, which would justify his response.

• Love 4
(edited)
On 3/31/2018 at 9:29 PM, stewedsquash said:

At first I thought the bolded was one of those infamous "names" people give their kids, then I remembered it was just our name for the case. I am calling it now, someone eventually will put CarKeyer down on a birth certificate.

One of Dr. Jilliannatalia's  rabbit-like-breeder cousins (who lives in Utah, which explains the situation to some degree) is once again with child and is seriously considering naming the kid Kindle Cloud.  It's unfortunate that this pregnancy is not a two-for-the-price-of-one as her previous pregnancy was, because she could have named Kindle Cloud's womb-mate "Car Keyer."  Kindle Cloud and Car Keyer go well together as names in my opinion.

Edited by jilliannatalia
pronoun changed for the sake of clarity
  • Love 11
12 hours ago, Florinaldo said:

Her most annoying recurrent put-down is "My parents did not pay for 7 years of law school for me to deal with pots and pans". I wish someone would take her by the shoulders and says: "JJ if you wanted to make precedent-setting decisions in criminal law or constitutional matters, you should have taken the relevant career path: you became a family court judge, and now you are in a TV Small Claims court, emphasis on the Small ; deal with it and do your job without peremptorily dismissing matters that you consider to be far beneath you but are financially important to these people". Byrd could not do it, for obvious reasons of job security.

She also has these mannerisms that make her look like a clownish schoolmarm: banging the desk with her pen, her loud "shussshes" or waving her arms like a spastic puppet to get a litigant to shut up.

JJ acts as if she's doing litigants an extreme favor by allowing the to appear before her to have their cases heard and that the litigants begged for the opportunity when in many instances it was actually her production staff that recruited the litigants.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, jilliannatalia said:

in many instances it was actually her production staff that recruited the litigants.

They must scour the dockets of small claims courts across the country to find potential ones for the show and then make their selection after further analysis; I would be interested to know the proportion of cases that do not make the cut and why they were set aside. It's also possible to submit your own case as they remind us at the end of every episode.

I just had a look at the show's Web site and it's not necessary to have an existing real small claims or civil case to be eligible to make a submission to the show; I do not know if they insist you eventually file in a real court anyway to make the whole process more "legitimate".

Parent who give their children imaginative names appear to think it's amusing and shows how creative they are. Of course, they are not the ones who have to bear the burden of such monikers in school.

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, Florinaldo said:

I just had a look at the show's Web site and it's not necessary to have an existing real small claims or civil case to be eligible to make a submission to the show; I do not know if they insist you eventually file in a real court anyway to make the whole process more "legitimate".

If the vacation guys just applied through JJ's website, the fact that she sent them to their local small claims court was her way of saying, "no money for you" (imagine Seinfeld's "Soup Nazi" voice here).  They got a couple of days in LA, but they ended up paying for it by looking like idiots on national TV.  Let's just hope that potential employers don't Google their names as a part of future job applications.  It's not a great idea to have it inferred that you're a scam artist or liar on national TV.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, jilliannatalia said:

is seriously considering naming the kid Kindle Cloud. 

Nooooo!   OMG.  At least there isn't any punctuation in that name.  Yet.  Back in the dark ages, my folks had settled on Kimberly Clark for me.  I think it sounds beautiful, so at first was disappointed when she told me they scrapped it for my actual (boringly common) names.  Then Mom explained they made the change when she (bless her) realized it was a toilet paper company. Ah, the good ol'' days...   

Still giggling about Crowding Dragon - Flying Helicopter Tiger Mom.  Just so perfect. Post of the day/week/month!

• Love 8
On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 5:03 PM, VartanFan said:

On ‎3‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 10:06 PM, AngelaHunter said:

Thanks Brattinella!

Silly boy no.1, "I assure you this is a real case!" Who the hell says that? Oh, silly boys who think they're smart. Did he say he works for some financial institution?  Someone lets him do that? Wow. I just hope they have enough sense to be thoroughly humiliated and embarassed at making fools of themselves and leaving empty-handed.

We were both tired Friday night, and were scratching our heads over that case, and what you both say makes sense.  We just didn't pick up on it.

17 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

Mr. Plut is suing his lawyer. I think this was the pinnacle of children living with parental units. Mr. Plat appeared to be over 70 yet was living with HIS daddy (who must have been over 90) and it fairly took dynamite to get him out of the house when Daddy finally passed to the Great Beyond. He didn't want to pay the lawyer ("Foffel - rhymes with "waffle") and Mr. Foffel? He doesn't have any evidence. Why would a lawyer keep records, cancelled checks, etc,  on a client who didn't pay him? Durrr. Very difficult to get a coherent answer from either, so both left with nothing.

I thought this one might be fake at first, but after a bit, it became obvious they were both just complete morons.  Now I know why the lawyer said his name rhymes with "Awful" - because he's heard that before, from other clients.

• Love 5