Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: All Rise

Message added by Meredith Quill

Community Manager Note

Official notice that the topic of Sean DeMarco is off limits. If you have 1-on-1 thoughts to complete please take it to PM with each other.

If you have questions, contact the forum moderator @PrincessPurrsALot.  Do not discuss this limit to this discussion in here. Doing so will result in a warning. 

• Start Topic

29 minutes ago, basiltherat said:

Falling off rickety beds is why I would never rent a vacation space in a private house.  Give me a hotel every time, even if it is Motel 6.  At least the cooties there have insurance!

We've rented condos/apartments for vacations, and there can definitely be a learning curve on how to run the a/c, TV, DVD player, etc.  Having said that, I would NEVER (I'm 70 and short) stand on a bed to try to reach a fan cord (or anything else out of reach.  I wouldn't do that in my own home.  Common sense just isn't very common these days.  Good decision on JJ's part.

• Love 4

The quick case with the 83-year-woman falling off the bed while trying to turn on a fan made me smile and sigh a little bit because that is EXACTLY the kind of dumb thing my mother would do to hurt herself. 

Oh yes. Third-generation short woman here, and I have inherited my mama and grammy's tendency to take dangerous, poorly thought out spills. Oh, the decades of tipped-over ladders, collapsing antique step-stools, and inapproppriate heel heights that precede me. (In my case, I tried to change a clock battery by standing on my rolling desk chair for just a second. Plummeting to the floor seemed to take forever, so I had a lot of air time to think about my mistake. ;)

• Love 10

Oy - my (then) 88 year old, 4'11'' aunt had a light bulb burn out.  When she told me on our weekly phone call, I told her to either ask one of her neighbors/friends who lives nearby to change it, or have her cleaning ladies do it.  Instead, she thought, "I've been changing light bulbs all my life" and decided to do it herself.  Used a step stool.  Needless to say, she fell off and broke her leg.  And as she is widowed, no one knew.  It was a compound fracture.  So she had to drag herself across half the house to get to a phone to call for help.  Multiple surgeries and many months in rehab.  All because she was too proud/stubborn to as for help.

She doesn't stand on step ladders any more.  She gave the one she fell off of to her neighbor.

Yeah, 83 year old mother reminded me to my aunt.  Glad she didn't get hurt.

• Love 5

And who hasn't been in a situation where you think you can do something and it turns out you fail? The only difference is most of the time the failures are so minor they don't matter but here the poor old mom fell, probably hurt herself a little (because I can't imagine falling into a mirror and not getting cut up a bit) and damaged the rental property. When I try to reach for something too tall or stand on something a little precarious, normally the worst thing that happens is I pull a muscle.

If the owner of the condo is smart, he'll either take the fan down or get it wired to a switch but that doesn't mean he's to blame. Only that if he's going to continue to rent out the place as a vacation property, people falling is bad for reviews.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, vibeology said:

And who hasn't been in a situation where you think you can do something and it turns out you fail? The only difference is most of the time the failures are so minor they don't matter but here the poor old mom fell, probably hurt herself a little (because I can't imagine falling into a mirror and not getting cut up a bit) and damaged the rental property. When I try to reach for something too tall or stand on something a little precarious, normally the worst thing that happens is I pull a muscle.

If the owner of the condo is smart, he'll either take the fan down or get it wired to a switch but that doesn't mean he's to blame. Only that if he's going to continue to rent out the place as a vacation property, people falling is bad for reviews.

Or get an additional length of chain so that anyone can reach it.  

• Love 11

I don't know why buildings in general, and fixtures in said buildings are all geared to someone who is SIX FEET TALL.  Not all people are six feet tall!  I can't reach the higher shelves, or the bulbs, or anything up high, really.  I admit to standing on the bed to adjust the ceiling fan from winter to summer, but I am SO careful.  There really should be a better way for the height-challenged to adjust things.

• Love 3
55 minutes ago, vibeology said:

And who hasn't been in a situation where you think you can do something and it turns out you fail?

Reminds me of one of my great uncles. Back in the day, a big guy (and genuine decorated WWII war hero). In his mid-80s he climbs up on the roof of a rental house to check the air conditioner and tipped the ladder over. Normally no big deal, but this was mid summer in Bakersfield, California, where temps over a hundred are common. By the day he got anyone's attention, hours had gone by and he was in a bad way and needed treatment for heat exhaustion - and he was lucky, the neighbor who heard him had come home a couple hours earlier than normal.

Edited by SRTouch
Wording changed
  • Love 4

Wow, the dental baby daddy boyfriend case was a new twist on disfunctional families.  The non baby momma said she got her older nephew's (possibly soon to be step son's) blessing on her relationship with his dad. So her reasoning is if this child is ok with it then her sister should just get over it and move on.  Uh huh.

The plaintiff had pretty bad vocal fry combined with one of those high pitched, little girl voices.  Then the defendant spoke up and sounded exactly like her sister.  OMG.  I could never be in the same room with the two of them for longer than 10 minutes.  But then I guess neither one of them wants to be in the same room at this point either.

• Love 14
27 minutes ago, BusyOctober said:

Wow, the dental baby daddy boyfriend case was a new twist on disfunctional families.  The non baby momma said she got her older nephew's (possibly soon to be step son's) blessing on her relationship with his dad. So her reasoning is if this child is ok with it then her sister should just get over it and move on.  Uh huh.

This cracks me up. Just count the different family "names" in this paragraph!  Great job!    I don't think I've seen this one, yet, but am thankful for this brief recap so I can get my flow charts and diagrams out and ready. 

• Love 3

I watched 3/4 of the case of the sisters-dental bill case and swore that the defendant had a teardrop tattoo. My thoughts:

• Did she kill someone?
  • Did she get it as a joke because she has one of those mouths that's a perma-frown?
  • Is it because she's always upset, like Judge Judy is, that her sis refuses to move her hair out of her face?
  • Does it represent the tears shed by her eyes and ears after having to listen to her sister's voice for much of her life?

But no, the reason for tears was revealed --- Her hubby was busy banging Miss Tendrils, even when she was in Labor & Delivery having his baby!

Then, the actual truth came out (to me, visually) -- it wasn't a tear. It was a mole magnified by a pair of thick glasses.

• Love 3

Her hubby was busy banging Miss Tendrils

Silly, there was no legal relationship with Baby Daddy.

ETA - Those were facial piercings, including one on the nose, one below the lip and 2 in the corner of the eye.  Yuck.

Edited by Quof
  • Love 4

Regarding dental baby daddy boyfriend case: that plaintiff cheating sister is the lowest of the lows. There is no way I would take my sister's boyfriend/husband/baby daddy. I don't care what he looked like, how much money he had or how big the bulge in his pants was. Nothing could persuade me to do anything with him. And then she socks the defendant in the jaw!  I know the dental biil was a lot of money but cheating plaintiff should have eaten it. Of course, she is morally bankrupt so that wasn't going to happen. I hope he cheats on her...and he will!

• Love 16

I know things are quite different in MN, but is it true the police only show up at the scene of an accident if one of the drivers is "irate" or injured? Plantiff was a silly twit.

Dental (cosmetic and cavities) bill sisters:

1 hour ago, Spunkygal said:

Of course, she is morally bankrupt so that wasn't going to happen.

No, she's terminally desperate, like the vast majority of women we see on this show. I'm sure boyfriend was never anyone's idea of a prize, but crying defendant went ahead and had two kids with him and now lucky plaintiff has him. I kind of don't blame the horrible, stupid, parasitic loser men we see on this show. It doesn't matter how worthless they are, or even if they're criminals. There's always multiple women ready not only to take them on - if not get into fistfights over them -  but to support them too. Both those women sounded like cartoons and I was relieved when JJ told silly plaintiff to get the dangly ringlets out of her mouth. I guess she doesn't realize how silly she looked, peering up from under her lashes with her tendrils bobbing.

• Love 10

I guess plaintiff sister only believes the second half of this line from the old Irving Berlin song:

Lord help the mister that comes between me and my sister / And Lord help the sister that comes between me and my man.

Both my sister and I would vomit up our innards at the thought of sleeping with some guy who'd slept with the other one of us.  And then we'd go out to eat.

• Love 13

In California unless someone is impaired or hurt they won't come to an accident/

In NC I got a call after I hit a car in a parking lot and left a note with all my info.  It was the police telling me I should have called them.  When I said that my insurance company had already started the claim for the car I hit they said ok thanks and I didn't have to go talk to them. 

8 hours ago, AuntiePam said:

Family gatherings must be fun for the sisters who've shared a boyfriend. 

I don't understand these medical cards/accounts.  Are they like debit cards?  Why not just find a dentist who will take payments? 

Most dentists places I've lived won't take payments over a certain amount and insist on you using care credit.  The ortho my kid sees here I can make interest free payments to bc my portion was under 2500 (we moved mid way through the braces so it's only 9 mos) but if you owe more than that they insist on using Care Credit if you don't have your own way to pay (credit card, cash, etc)

• Love 3
19 hours ago, AuntiePam said:

I don't understand these medical cards/accounts.  Are they like debit cards?  Why not just find a dentist who will take payments? 

Care Credit is a way for doctors, dentists and vets to be paid upfront. They pay the service provider, then take payments from the client. They offer deferred interest if the balance is paid off in a certain amount of time. But, if you don't pay it off by the stipulated date, make late payments or miss payments, the interest rate is over 26%. A friend of our daughter's used Care Credit to have her wisdom teeth extracted. She was a flaky kid and didn't make the payments on time. Their collections department is like having a rabid wolf one step behind you-LOL! Sadly, finding a healthcare provider or a veterinarian that will accept payments these days is a rarity. I treasure my livestock vet like she's made of gold. She was here yesterday to check one of my ewes who is due to lamb soon. She wants to add some of the breed of sheep I raise to her own flock, so instead of paying her cash for the farm call, she'll take one of my little girl lambs after she's weaned :)

• Love 6

I know things are quite different in MN, but is it true the police only show up at the scene of an accident if one of the drivers is "irate" or injured? Plantiff was a silly twit.

I know, but he was so cute, despite the hipster facial hair.  Forgive me, it's been awhile since I said that about any contestant on this show.

She wants to add some of the breed of sheep I raise to her own flock, so instead of paying her cash for the farm call, she'll take one of my little girl lambs after she's weaned :)

Aww, that's nice. "My sweet embraceable ewe...."

Edited by Sarcastico
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, lovesnark said:

Sadly, finding a healthcare provider or a veterinarian that will accept payments these days is a rarity.

I don't blame them one bit. They got tired of being stiffed by deadbeats. It's like all these idiots we see who sell their car to some stranger and let them make payments. As JM says, "We call those people litigants."

31 minutes ago, Sarcastico said:

Aww, that's nice. "My sweet embraceable ewe...."

I wish I could give you at least 10 "likes" for that.

• Love 6
On 2/23/2017 at 1:19 PM, AuntiePam said:

The Care Credit card is a good option IF used correctly. The dentist or vet, or whoever, gets paid immediately and doesn't have to rely on the patient to make payments. The patient gets 6-18 months no interest payments. Of course if you don't pay within the prescribed period, the interest rate is insane AND retroactive to the original date of the transaction.

• Love 2

The bunch of whack jobs, buying a house together? I won't go into the insanity of that (what could go wrong with two middle-aged couples bunking together?) but the Alloways confounded me. First I thought that Mrs. Alloway was Mr. Alloway's mother, since she appeared to be about 75 while he (Idiotic dimwit) seemed to be a couple of decades younger. But that's not the worst of it. What's worse is that the freaked-out, gabby, weird Mrs. Alloway is a "mental health counselor" and not a very successful one since she and her creepy hubby are thieves and can't afford their own crib.  I just hope that anyone thinking of getting counselling watched this and crossed Mrs. Alloway off their list.

• Love 1

Ha. JJ's disapproving "you quit your perfectly good job? Yeah right" face transforms when the defendant says he was retiring after 40 years.

Other than that, yet another case with a car owned by one and driven by the other.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Jamoche said:

Ha. JJ's disapproving "you quit your perfectly good job? Yeah right" face transforms when the defendant says he was retiring after 40 years.

Other than that, yet another case with a car owned by one and driven by the other.

Did the plaintiff expect the defendant to pay for the whole car?

• Love 2
On 2/23/2017 at 3:42 PM, Spunkygal said:

Regarding dental baby daddy boyfriend case: that plaintiff cheating sister is the lowest of the lows. There is no way I would take my sister's boyfriend/husband/baby daddy. I don't care what he looked like, how much money he had or how big the bulge in his pants was. Nothing could persuade me to do anything with him. And then she socks the defendant in the jaw!  I know the dental biil was a lot of money but cheating plaintiff should have eaten it. Of course, she is morally bankrupt so that wasn't going to happen. I hope he cheats on her...and he will!

Mr. Khyber said "maybe he's good in bed", to which I replied "you can always find some to f**k, she didn't need this guy". 

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Toaster Strudel said:

I think she just wanted that one payment -- the payment he made but then reversed. 

I'm not sure though.  Like Jamoche, I don't get paid either.  Sometimes these stories are way too convoluted.

• Love 3

Both of Friday's episodes bored me.   Kids playing on a trampoline with dogs. One kid got bitten.  Judy ordered the owner to pay (why?  The kid was old enough to know that jumping on a trampoline with dogs is not a good idea).  I assume there was more to the story than that, but I really didn't care. 

• Love 4
13 hours ago, Toaster Strudel said:

She lost before this even started, because she broke the law. Idiots buying a 28,000$ car and she lets him drive it, knowing full well he has no license. Why does a 60 year old man have no license for the last 15 years? I really wanted to know.

Rakeem, suing the def for a 1700$ loan (def is so stupid he starts off by saying "He offered to lend... errr. GIVE me the money.") nearly lost his case because he just could NOT shut up and stop interrupting, even after JJ told him he was going to win.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Quof said:

Both of Friday's episodes bored me.   Kids playing on a trampoline with dogs. One kid got bitten.  Judy ordered the owner to pay (why?  The kid was old enough to know that jumping on a trampoline with dogs is not a good idea).  I assume there was more to the story than that, but I really didn't care. 

He was on the trampoline with his own two dogs.  They were joined by a neighbor's dog, a mastiff-bulldog mix that weighed 120 pounds.  The owner put it down -- himself.  Poor dog. 

• Love 2

Re. trampolines...there's a mom at my daughter's school who is the ultimate helicopter parent.  She would wrap her kids in bubble wrap 24/7 if she could.  She is very judgmental about how other parents parent...lots of "can you believe she lets a 9 year old walk down the street to his friend's house?"  She won't let her kids play at so-and-so's house b/c the mom serves processed snacks like Oreos and juice. Yet, this paragon of parental prowess has a trampoline in her yard.  It is positioned too close to their deck, so one miscalculated jump could result in concussion. It looks like it's been repaired with different colored duct tape several times. The "safety net" is ripped to shreds.  But her kids are bouncing away on it all the time.  "It's good exercise!" is her response. 

• Love 3

A 1990 Honda is worth $2700?  Up to $5200?   Does that seem high to anyone else? That's almost 30 years old!

Oh, please, God, I hope that day care worker had her license revoked, and this story is all over the news in Idaho.  There are just no words. 

Edited by SandyToes
  • Love 10
28 minutes ago, SandyToes said:

A 1990 Honda is worth $2700?  Up to $5200?   Does that seem high to anyone else? That's almost 30 years old!

Miatas of that vintage go for that range, but that's a highly collectable car. Honda? Boring.

• Love 1

OMG, I cannot believe JJ was leaning into that Defendant because he said he ran into a deer -- then quizzed Byrd, asking him if he ever ran into a deer. And both of them acting like running into a deer with one's car is on par with running into a leprechaun or something! GET. OUT. OF. YOUR. BUBBLE. LADY. Where I live, there are hundreds of deer all over the place -- and I don't live in a  rural area -- it's just suburban sprawl. I can't believe I've never hit one in all the years I've lived here. When I go out every day, there always seems to be a fresh carcass on whatever road I'm driving on. It's sad. But, apparently to JJ, clearly a figment of my imagination. 

I lost my Camry to a deer a couple weeks ago -- my second hit, but there've been more close calls than I can count.

I was waiting for JJ to say something to the baby's parents about teaching their nine-year-old how to play with a baby.  It was definitely the day care operator's fault, for not stopping the behavior, but it would be reassuring to know that the older brother learned something.

• Love 8
On 2/23/2017 at 3:51 PM, Brattinella said:

I don't know why buildings in general, and fixtures in said buildings are all geared to someone who is SIX FEET TALL.  Not all people are six feet tall!  I can't reach the higher shelves, or the bulbs, or anything up high, really.  I admit to standing on the bed to adjust the ceiling fan from winter to summer, but I am SO careful.  There really should be a better way for the height-challenged to adjust things.

I'm 5'6" but very clumsy and large and have 12 foot ceilings. I've managed to trip over my own laptop cord and ended up in the ER (too bad George Clooney was not there)  My kids have forbidden me from climbing the ladder to change anything. They actually will drive 30 to 90 minutes one way so I won't stand on the ladder.  After a moment of brilliance, I remembered in grade school there is such a thing as a "LIGHT BULB CHANGER". It's a telescoping stick with these grabby things on the end. You put grabby thing (looks like an elasticized hand gripper ) over the dead bulb and it grabs on and you just unscrew it - reverse the move and you can screw the fresh bulb right back in.  And it's right around $20 at Home Depot. I swear I feel liberated with that thing. 

Kids shouldn't be on trampolines (according to every ER physician everywhere) ever, let alone with dogs.  

I work at a pediatric orthopedic clinic. I guess many people don't have trampolines anymore (although my kids had one growing up and never got hurt on it). The worst offenders are monkey bars (which every playground has), jumping on beds (which every kid has) and bounce houses. Little kids under about 5 should NEVER go into bounce houses because that's a broken elbow with surgery and a couple of pins to hold it together in waiting. Although last summer I read an article in our local newspaper where some kids were in a bounce house by the beach and a water spout/mini tornado bounced onto the beach and several kids actually FLEW AWAY in the bounce house. It broke loose of the tethers and flew away. Luckily it landed with kids still inside, although I think there were a few broken bones. 

And both of them acting like running into a deer with one's car is on par with running into a leprechaun or something! 

I've known several people who have hit deer and I've always lived in fairly suburban areas. I even saw a woman hit a horse once - I was driving behind a truck in a more rural area in New Jersey and this horse escaped from a corral and ran right in front of her. Tore the front of her truck right up. 

Edited by ItsHelloPattiagain
  • Love 5

Where I live, people hit moose.  It usually doesn't end well for either party.

We have one of those bulb changers also.  Actually, we have two.  My husband hated the first one and refused to use it, so I got a battery-operated one where you just push a button and the business end rotates.  He found some reason to hate that as well.  Lately we've been changing all our fixtures to LEDs, which I hope will solve the problem till we're dead.  The vacation-rental owner might want to consider doing that, too.

I could barely stand thinking about that baby with the broken leg.  The parents seemed to know very little about how the day care operated or how many people worked there, especially given that the mother was a nurse.   I agree that some responsibility falls on them.  Aren't you supposed to do some unscheduled drop-ins from time to time, to make sure that your kids are in good hands?  Didn't sound like that was happening.

• Love 3

I woke up to "Dalecarlian"(WTF?), who doesn't take care of the chirrun he helped bring into the world because his mother really wanted to take on the raising of them. I'm sure that's true, since she has nothing better to do with her life and time. He's doing her a favour. He doesn't pay any support but he gets them... stuff. When they need stuff, know what I'm saying? I have no idea what he was saying because I couldn't take any more.  Blrgh!

• Love 12
2 hours ago, ItsHelloPattiagain said:

I've known several people who have hit deer and I've always lived in fairly suburban areas. I even saw a woman hit a horse once - I was driving behind a truck in a more rural area in New Jersey and this horse escaped from a corral and ran right in front of her. Tore the front of her truck right up. 

I personally have hit 2 deer and my son hit one and had another one run into the side of his car in the 30 years we have lived in the country. Hell, I even throw corn out for them in the winter so they may live to hit/be hit another day!

Edited by WaitForMe
  • Love 3

Every time I think that maybe, just maybe, there might be some merit to the claims that JJ is getting too old and crotchety for this gig, she brilliantly tears down and picks apart someone like that daycare moron. In cases like this, I hope the producers do send a copy of the tapes to whatever governing agency is relevant (though I doubt the investigation would be reopened, unfortunately).

• Love 16
17 minutes ago, Toaster Strudel said:

The daycare case was epic.  I can't believe this woman is taking care of 12 children ALONE (he husband has a job now).  She's using the older kids to take care of the youngest ones! Unbelievable.  Like JJ said... that's HER job.  Not the siblings'.

I know that there are rules as to adult/child ratio in most states.  Unbelievably, depending on the age of the children, 12 to 1 is perfectly okay with the State of Idaho.  Providers cannot have more than 12 total "points" in the children they watch.  Babies are 2 points, most kids are one, and older kids (which she seemed to have the most of) are only 1/2 point apiece.  

• Love 2
32 minutes ago, augmentedfourth said:

In cases like this, I hope the producers do send a copy of the tapes to whatever governing agency is relevant (though I doubt the investigation would be reopened, unfortunately).

It sure looked like she was scribbling down notes.  Hopefully a reminder to the staff! 
"Maybe the baby was having a bad day."  Yeah, because four-MONTH olds often do that. 

• Love 11
45 minutes ago, GussieK said:

Can someone explain Friday's case with the couple who broke up. Defendant suddenly received $3,000 on his counterclaim. Something to do with the improperly sought restraining order. But I don't recall hearing details. 

Was that the one where the plaintiff ex-girlfriend changed the locks while the boyfriend was gone for a couple of days?  JJ has zero patience for landlords who illegally evict tenants, and in this case, the boyfriend was a tenant.

• Love 4