Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: All Rise

Message added by Meredith Quill

Community Manager Note

Official notice that the topic of Sean DeMarco is off limits. If you have 1-on-1 thoughts to complete please take it to PM with each other.

If you have questions, contact the forum moderator @PrincessPurrsALot.  Do not discuss this limit to this discussion in here. Doing so will result in a warning. 

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, AuntiePam said:

The art work in the trunk of the car -- I think the art was damaged when an employee tossed the bag (with gym shoes) in the trunk, but JJ was right -- they shouldn't have left a valuable item in the trunk, especially one that was fragile.  And I think the detail shop owner was lying about the items found in the car.  I sort of wanted JJ to find for the plaintiffs, so she could ask to prove the value.  I also wanted to see the painting.  At least the plaintiffs knew to (mostly) shut up and listen when JJ was talking.

For me it was a toss up until they got in the hallway. But I didn't buy her protests in the hallway at all. "Of course it wasn't me who damaged the painting - what possible reason would I have to say someone else damaged it" well, just two quick possibilities: 1) she didn'the want to admit to husband that she damaged the painint and get in a fight, or 2) lie and try to get $3600. I think she forgot the painting was in the trunk, slammed the trunk on it, and didn't want to tell hubby. I could be totally wrong, but to me it sounds justas likely that she damaged it as the detailer, and she's the one who has to convince the judge.

Unlike Ms. Vick, the neighbor who took the puppy to the vet.  Even when JJ was obviously on her side, she couldn't stop talking!  I believe that she did a GoFundMe page.  Why would the defendants lie about that?   

I tend to believe Ms Vick, but that could just be because I HATE IRRESPONSIBLE pet owners. On top of that, defendants had trouble remembering the facts (or could it be, as JJ says, "you don't need a good memory if you're telling the truth." Defendant got the puppy at 8 weeks old, no wait she had momma when it gave birth, and Ms Vicks kept the puppies until they got older, no wait Ms Vick stole the momma and puppies and on and on. 

I'll freely admit that I acquired one of my cats in a similar. He needed to go to the vet, the owners said they couldn't afford it, and I told them I'd pay, but he would become my cat unless they paid me back.

25 pound chihuahua! 

WTF this girl really believed this dog weighs 25lbs?  She may work with numbers, but apparently not weights and measures.

• Love 3
34 minutes ago, Giant Misfit said:

Could not deal with the irresponsible dog owners today. If you can't spay/neuter your pets, and can't afford to provide basic veterinary care, don't have any. Pet ownership is not a RIGHT. That's like me waltzing into a Tesla dealer and demanding a car. "No, Mr. Salesman, I can't afford to buy it and I can't afford to maintain it, but I *want* it so please give it to me."

What are the chances Momma dog is still not spayed, and puppies never received puppy shots? (as I typed that I got to thinking part of vet bills may have been for shots - I know some vets would give vaccinations as part of treating the puppy.)

• Love 4

I'm not 100% positive, but I think I'm falling on the side of the wife forgetting about the painting in the car and accidentally damaging it when she went to close the trunk.

I actually think there is a little bit of logic in what the painter husband was saying, that he didn't want to keep taking the painting in and out of the car because that would up the chances of it getting damaged (ironically...). However, I forget, did they ever say why they were taking THAT car to get such an extensive cleaning/detailing THAT day? If not, then JJ's argument still stands, that they never should have brought the car to get cleaned with the painting in the trunk.

• Love 4

I was utterly fascinated by the Van Der Zees - two educated, professional people and both dumb as boxes of rocks. And she's a lawyer! I know that all the lawyers who appear on this show are less than competent, but she was amazingly clueless and stupid. She stood with her mouth hanging open when JJ informed her she could get a subpoena, like - duh! and didn't seem to know not to butt in when the judge is speaking. I wonder how many clients she'll get now that this show has aired. Hubby appeared to be inbred or something - he didn't know if he was afoot or on horseback. I've always said that education often has nothing to do with intelligence. Personally, I would never have had that artwork in my trunk that way - no tube, not even wrapped in anything at all. Even without this incident, it could have gotten torn just from rolling around the trunk, or maybe when he shoved it in "snugly."

Listening to the def. was a pleasure. He, at least, told a linear, coherent story.

• Love 10
1 minute ago, Rick Kitchen said:

Nobody commenting on the chawaaaa owner saying that they hadn't figured out how to potty train the dog after eight months so they had to leave it outside?

Seriously.  That girl was dumb as a sack of hammers.

• Love 5
12 hours ago, teebax said:

They were beyond controlling. Who the hell sues their child over a freaking cat?* The kids would all be better off staying away from both of those nutjobs. They're the kind of parents I imagine Ted and Heidi Cruz would be.

I laughed so hard at this that I had a mild asthma attack. It would be even funnier were there not so much truth to it.

• Love 6

What was also disturbing about fundie mom's hallterview was her twin reactions that she a) wanted her family reunited and b) insisting "we did everything right". I think trying to get your daughter arrested for theft (for a cat!) doesn't fall into anybody's playbook for raising children.

Mom also mentioned how horrified they were that their daughter "violated their boundaries" when she went into her own childhood home to get her cat.

i am truly trying to imagine what Christian tenets they believe they are following. 

Normally I think it's crazy when parents of teens let their son or daughter have a girlfriend or boyfriend move in.  In the case, thank GOD these good people took her in.  Maybe they are well known in their twin for the crazy that envelopes them.

• Love 12

You have to wonder why the Van Der Zees even went on the show. To show off her great lawyering skills????  They could have easily brought the case in their local small claims court, she could have represented them, they could have subpoenaed witnesses and documents. If and when they won, they could have easily collected a judgment from a business that has assets and liability insurance, so there wasn't the incentive of JJ actually paying the award. 

I also question how they could possibly prove the value of the unsold painting.

I'm in the camp that believes the wife damaged the painting.

• Love 6
19 hours ago, SRTouch said:

Actually, the two boys monitoring the birds, since I put out seed already this morning.

We call that "bait"at our house......

• Love 4
8 hours ago, NYCFree said:

I think trying to get your daughter arrested for theft (for a cat!) doesn't fall into anybody's playbook for raising children.

According to the daughter's Facebook page, they also originally sued her for $10,000.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Rick Kitchen said:

Nobody commenting on the chawaaaa owner saying that they hadn't figured out how to potty train the dog after eight months so they had to leave it outside?

Hah! I noticed that unique pronunciation. It's almost as funny as WKRP in Cincinnati's Les Nessman's pronunciation as "chia who-ah who-ah". I mean, come on! The least any pet parent can do is pronounce the pet's breed correctly.  Good thing the doggie wasn't a shih tzu because they would have to bleep her out.

• Love 4

Yeah....those parents were a piece of work.  Hailing from Eastern Kentucky 'hard-shell' Southern Baptist territory I've met people like this...not my family thank God.  They are religious (my cousin was a preacher) but loving and tolerant.  I have a regular customer now at my shop who comes from a family just like this.  She is so beaten down it's sad.  She opens up to me about her restrictions...and the gal is now 20...and I just shake my head.  Dad won't let her buy a car, must know where she is at 24/7.  I feel sorry for the kid.  Good grades a college (which Dad choose and never misses a chance to tell her he's paying for even though she got a couple of grants/scholarships on her own).

When do we get to see Patricia Bean again?

Chawawaa (pick one) gal was too stupid to breathe (think Summer Newman on Y&R).  And you never give dogs bones that have been cooked.  They splinter and can kill an animal.  Raw bones are OK.  Animals can digest those as it is in their nature.  Advice form my Vet but I don't give my dogs/cats any bones just to be sure.  My friend lost 2 cats due to chicken bones.

• Love 5
(edited)
On 4/30/2016 at 7:41 PM, BellaLugosi said:
21 hours ago, designing1 said:

^^^ I absolutely agree the case had nothing to do with the cat and everything to do with control.  .... 

I'd be curious to know if any of their other four children gives them the time of day. I believe they said something about telling the neighbor not to let any of the kids in the house, so perhaps not. They were odious. The audience was squirming in their seats much as I was squirming at home. I really wanted to reach through my screen and smack them (the parents, not the audience.) I hope one day defendant daughter feels free enough to stand up straight and hold her chin up.

I

After all the kids had moved out, if my parents went away for any length of time. they left our dogs in the care of one of the kids who still lived nearby, not the neighbor.  Why would you make your neighbor take care of an animal that a number of the kids grew up with?  It's either a) the parents have no communication with any of the kids who live nearby  b) none of the kids are nearby, they all moved as far away as they could get or c) the parents were afraid one of their kids would give the cat to its rightful owner.  

Also, after I & my siblings moved out, we would often go over to our home uninvited at any time.  We all, including my parents, still considered it our home.  I would show up unannounced with loads of laundry too.  I think that is pretty much the norm, unless there is strong animosity somewhere in the relationship.  Once they moved into a smaller home that none of the kids had lived in, we didn't do that much because that house was not our home.  

I'm with JJ, it is absolutely horrid to try to force the police to give your child an arrest record over a cat.

Edited by ElleMo
  • Love 9
17 hours ago, Albino said:

JJ put it in perspective with her jewelry analogy. Artwork, jewelry, laptop, fur coat, whatever...don't leave something worth $3600 in your trunk at a carwash.  And $3600 is just what the artist was asking.  Doesn't mean it's worth that much to anyone except him.

Sorry but who leaves a random $3600 piece of artwork in the trunk of a car unprotected? Don't they have those big cardboard tubes to put them in? Or don't artists have those big portfolios to put things in? A tote bag maybe? A picture frame? My full service car wash runs the same way - I end up with a big pile of random stuff that they find under the seats sitting on the driver's seat when they are done (although I tell them not to bother with the hatchback because I do have a bunch of random stuff in plastic container that I use regularly back there, like sheet music). Besides I was curious to see what the painting looked at and how the value was determined. 

When do we get to see Patricia Bean again?  

She's still sitting on my DVR at home. I watched the case about a week ago and it was just as satisfying the second time around lol. Y'all can come over to my house and watch, just BYOS (bring your own snacks). 

• Love 3

You can go on Mr. VDZ's Facebook page and see examples of his work.  People are giving him a lot of grief today "You think crap like that is worth $3,600???  My toddler's paintings are better."

• Love 3

I tried to quote something and got a script error. :( I just wanted to agree with the person who said that she wished JJ ruled that the painting was damaged  when they put the box back there to make him prove it's value. I want to know how many paintings he has sold and how much he received for them. They probably thought he would get to show the painting and it would bring attention to his artwork. 

In the hallterview, he said they "took groceries out of his mouth," or something like that. I said to the television, "Do not leave anything in your car you don't want stolen or damaged." It's one of the first rules of driving, after "Always assume everyone else on the road is out to kill you." I'm also surprised that there isn't a liability waiver on the paper they signed about not being responsible for things left in the car being damaged or stolen. There was when I had my car detailed.

• Love 7
(edited)
1 hour ago, ItsHelloPattiagain said:

Sorry but who leaves a random $3600 piece of artwork in the trunk of a car unprotected? Don't they have those big cardboard tubes to put them in? Or don't artists have those big portfolios to put things in? A tote bag maybe? A picture frame? My full service car wash runs the same way - I end up with a big pile of random stuff that they find under the seats sitting on the driver's seat when they are done (although I tell them not to bother with the hatchback because I do have a bunch of random stuff in plastic container that I use regularly back there, like sheet music). Besides I was curious to see what the painting looked at and how the value was determined. 

Seriously, Mr. Brady's architectural designs went all over an amusement  park and survived roller coasters just fine in one of those tube.  

Also, I can believe they said don't go in the trunk and that was written down, but most likely  as "don't CLEAN the trunk," which is not not the same as don't open the trunk to put things into. I am too cheap to get a detailing, but if I did, I could see myself telling them to leave the trunk alone just because I didn't want to bother taking stuff out to be cleaned.  But I also wouldn't have anything more expensive than some road flairs, anti-freeze, first aid kit and blankets.

Edited by ElleMo
  • Love 8

Don't they have those big cardboard tubes to put them in?

Oh, he has a tube... NOW. When I took my car in for some body work, I took everything out of it, like papers in the glove compartment, etc. 

They could have easily brought the case in their local small claims court, she could have represented them, they could have subpoenaed witnesses and documents

Yes, they could have, if the word "subpoena" was more familiar to the lawyer. Even then, there's still the problem of proving the value of the painting. To me it would have to have been already sold at that price. Otherwise there's no proof it would ever have sold.

• Love 2
50 minutes ago, ElleMo said:

Seriously, Mr. Brady's architectural designs went all over an amusement  park and survived roller coasters just fine in one of those tube.  

And there was that time when Greg worked at the firm after school and was tasked with delivering some blue prints in one of those big tubes. While Greg bought a comic book at a news stand, the lid came undone and the prints slipped into the gutter. And we last see them being intentionally stomped upon by a bunch of different people, as if intentionally stomping on paper is mandatory for all pedestrians.

• Love 6
(edited)
1 hour ago, Brattinella said:

I went to one facebook page for van der zee gallery.  I don't think it is the same guy, but I REALLY liked some of his stuff!

Van der Zee gallery is not the right guy. You'll want to look for Spencer van der Zee. If he can get $3600 for one of those canvases (and sadly, I bet he can) clearly I've made poor career choices.

Edited by designing1
  • Love 4

I'm now a fan of Mr. Luis Del Rio. After JJ called herself going in and talking about his "smirk", she wound up having to walk her old ass off the bench without giving the plaintiff any money. She wouldn't even hear the man out until he offered the slight demurral, "her car was totaled in another accident..." Turns out she was paid more than the value of the car, and she was saying she could've gotten $2900 had it not been for the accident between her and the kid, and she was suing for $4600. Kinda made all that popping off unnecessary, eh Judge Judgy? That's why he was "smirking", because he knew he was gonna win. And I actually believe they would've had a "believable" story had JJ let the man talk for eight goddamn seconds. His insurance company probably wasn't going to give her much to repair the vehicle, especially not cosmetic damage, if it's barely worth $1000.

JJ needs to shut the fuck up sometimes. Just because you've been around the block doesn't mean you know everything.

• Love 10

I can't even express how much I hated those two trust-fund babies (I Googled him and saw their wedding announcement--they drove off in a blue Rolls-Royce her grandfather used to own) trying to get an honest (I'm fairly sure) small businessman to pay for their own stupid carelessness.  I hated them as much as I hated the money-grubbing siblings who drove their father's girlfriend out of the house he willed her so they could make a few measly bucks selling the patio furniture.

I hate this sort of entitled greediness so much more than I hate the ignorance of people who are born into the underclass and don't have the extra something it takes to pull themselves up out of it.  I wish poor people wouldn't live such messy lives and would try to educate themselves better than they often do, but I feel guilty punching down at them.  I feel no guilt at all punching up at folks who by sheer luck have every advantage and still behave like total shits.

• Love 11

Just watched the first case. Sandra, Sandra Beeson? I don't know why you were smiling and nodding at JJ's "He's a HUSTLA." You picked him and you wanted him badly enough to marry him. Personally, I'd eat the 1500$ rather than have the world know how desperate I was, but that's just me.

• Love 6
(edited)

First episode, first case - Plaintiff Keisha's car was hit by 17-year-old Ryan Del Rio in a slow-mo collision. After they traded insurance info and snapped some photos, Keisha said that she'd call the non-emergency police number. Ryan's father told her not to -- he offered to pay out-of-pocket. Then, he later called his insurance company and told them a BS story in an attempt to dodge increased insurance rates. The insurance company denied liability. (BTW- the son's description of the accident was absurd and illogical.) A twist in the case --- Keisha was in an accident shortly after the Del Rio incident, and the car was totaled. For that accident, she collected more than the amount of the car. JJ then told the Plaintiff what she was trying to hustle the court by double-dipping. Toodaloo.

First episode second case - Bruce, rocking a ponytail and a Fu manchu, said his ex-roommate Joyce stole/trashed his tools, recording equipment, and other property. Joyce, with missing teeth and a faux cascading ponytail, said Bruce didn't pay rent.  Uhhhh, was Judge Judy telling Joyce that she was drunk in court? I think she was alluding to it. Bruce spoke out of turn to call Joyce a meth-head, JJ had enough of these dirts and swept them out to the hallway.

Second ep,first case - Sandra was suing her ex-husband Calvin for payments on a jointly owned car that she put the down payment on. They didn't take care of the car issue in their divorce proceedings. Calvin drove/paid for the car for three years after they split, then tried to trade it in. He needed Sandra's signature but never got a response from her. Calvin bought a new car, and he dumped the car (that still required 12 payments) at Sandra's. Sandra paid to repair it and then sold it to Carmax for less than what was owed on the loan. JJ awarded Sandra the difference but did not get her the money for repairs, registration, etc. because she didn't appreciate handling something that should have been taken care of in the divorce proceedings. 

Second ep, second case - Robert sold LaToy a Jeep for $1K and she never registered it in her name. She said she didn't have the title. In the 7 months she drove the car, LaToy racked up tickets --- they all went to Robert instead of her.  (He was countersuing for tickets and impound fees.) Robert got the car out of impound/took it away in the middle of the night, and he sold it to some dude Mr. Cornell for $500 (he initially lied and said he donated it). When JJ called Mr. Cornell to verify, she put Byrd on alert to watch Robert -- she didn't want him doing "any of that texting or stuff" to tip off Mr. Cornell. Towards the end of the case, LaToy shared that she paid Robert money each month to be on his insurance premium. JJ knew that these two litigants had hustled the city of Camden or wherever the hell they came from in New Jersey, but she couldn't pinpoint exactly what the hustle was.

Edited by CoolWhipLite
  • Love 4

You'll want to look for Spencer van der Zee.

Thanks. I couldn't remember his first name. The FB comments are gold. One of those paintings looks like what would result if someone told a 5 year old, "Paint a picture of your mother smoking." Kind of awesome, actually.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, designing1 said:

Van der Zee gallery is not the right guy. You'll want to look for Spencer van der Zee. If he can get $3600 for one of those canvases (and sadly, I bet he can) clearly I've made poor career choices.

Thanks for the info!  A real eye-opener!

First episode second case - Bruce, rocking a ponytail and a Fu manchu, said his ex-roommate Joyce stole/trashed his tools, recording equipment, and other property. Joyce, with missing teeth and a faux cascading ponytail, said Bruce didn't pay rent.

Haven't watched yet, but your recap made me spit my Grand Marnier so I'm suing you for the value of those wasted drops.

• Love 4

I wondered what JJ meant when she told defendant Joyce Casey that she looked "nervous".  After Bruce said Joyce did meth, I understood.  And then in the hallterview, Ms. Casey says "I don't drink alcohol, I don't get drunk, I don't go to bars" -- but she didn't deny using meth. 

I'll never understand renting a house with a stranger.  I haven't lived in posh places, but I've never had to share living space with a loon.

Bruce reminded me of a bumper sticker: Real musicians have day jobs. 

The case of the "rented" jeep -- JJ said awhile back that this is a court of "equity".  I took that to mean that she doesn't have to follow the usual procedural rules, rules of evidence, codes, etc., that she can make a judgment about what's fair, which isn't always what's legal.  The jeep case was a good example of that. 

• Love 3
(edited)

Joyce was shooting daggers from her eyes at the plaintiff, her ex-roommate.  He kept saying she is a meth addict, and she steadfastly kept saying "That's a Lie".  JJ finally caught a clue and wondered aloud about Joyce's "nervousness", but then Plaintiff continued to speak after he was warned not to, and JJ dismissed it all.   I believed him, and Judge Judgy was wrong!

Edited by Brattinella
  • Love 4

I'll never understand renting a house with a stranger.  I haven't lived in posh places, but I've never had to share living space with a loon.

I did, it was the only place I could find that would take my cat.  And he rented another room to another loon.  I was outnumbered.  I moved out as soon as I could.

• Love 7
18 minutes ago, Rick Kitchen said:

I did, it was the only place I could find that would take my cat.  

Ah, the cat made you do it. I totally understand. When my old apartment complex sold, the new owners wanted my menagerie gone. We went back and forth, and eventually I decided to move. Problem was - 5 cats, 3 cockatiels, and 3 rats. Nobody wanted to rent to me without big time no refundable pet deposit. After looking for awhile, I bought this trailer - problem solved.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, 27bored said:

I'm now a fan of Mr. Luis Del Rio. After JJ called herself going in and talking about his "smirk", she wound up having to walk her old ass off the bench without giving the plaintiff any money. She wouldn't even hear the man out until he offered the slight demurral, "her car was totaled in another accident..." Turns out she was paid more than the value of the car, and she was saying she could've gotten $2900 had it not been for the accident between her and the kid, and she was suing for $4600. Kinda made all that popping off unnecessary, eh Judge Judgy? That's why he was "smirking", because he knew he was gonna win. And I actually believe they would've had a "believable" story had JJ let the man talk for eight goddamn seconds. His insurance company probably wasn't going to give her much to repair the vehicle, especially not cosmetic damage, if it's barely worth $1000.

JJ needs to shut the fuck up sometimes. Just because you've been around the block doesn't mean you know everything.

Yes, poppa Del Rio, with the smirk, was way to smug, and I disliked him from the get-go. But the plaintiff is driving around in '99 Cadillac collecting from multiple accidents for a total far in excess of the value of the car. JJ missed a perfect chance to yell "HUSTLAH"

• Love 4

Regarding the "artwork case": I think JJ's ruling on the artwork case was exactly right.  If I'm paying $90 bucks to have the car detailed, I'd want the whole car done.  And with a second car right there, I for sure would have looked through everything to make sure it was empty of valuables. I was glad she FINALLY got the "artiste" to admit while he had lots of experience transporting art, he'd never left one in a car to be detailed. Gym shoes thrown on top? Could be.  Wife smashing trunk lid down on it? Could be that, too.  But when we drop our cars, off, we make sure to scan for anything that might be tempting for the workers.   And I agree, about wishing we'd have gotten to see how the piece was valued. 

Today's cases? I'm trying really hard to find anything enjoyable.  They just all made me sad for humanity. Scammers, stupid people, just yucky. Did I miss some gem?   Could just be the weather...

• Love 3
(edited)

Gee, here I was thinking that if anyone deserved a beating, it was the lying, smirking, smart-assed, tiny little Mr. Del Rio, who coached his baby boy to lie as well. Plaintiff was sympathetic, reasonable and well-spoken - totally credible. At least until we found out she's a freaking scammer, trying to hustle 4500$ for her 20 year old POS Caddy that she finally managed to total. I still hate Del Rio, but now I hate her more.

Oh, I forgot to mention the repeat, where Mia was suing her ex-boyfriend, Joshua "Beetlejuice" White, who appeared to be wearing a suit leftover from Al Capone's crew.. Mia paid for Josh's grill after he got hit by a car - his fault I'm sure - and no one could expect him to pay it back. After all, he's only 31 years old and needs his pappy and his g/f to pay his debts. Anyway it's all Mia's fault. She insisted he get some teeth. What a dominatrix.

Edited by AngelaHunter
  • Love 6

Sandra was suing her ex-husband Calvin for payments on a jointly owned car that she put the down payment on. 

Calving was having way too good of a time. Maybe I've only been to court for very serious things (restraining orders, divorce, etc) but I cannot fathom how people come to Judge Judy and LAUGH away while she's fileting them in front of her millions of viewers. Don't they understand she's insulting their intelligence which is just reinforced by their smiling and laughing (I'm not talking the nervous laugh, I'm talking the "Heeeeyyyy, sup y'all, I'm on JJ, watch me now HEY" 

I wish poor people wouldn't live such messy lives and would try to educate themselves better than they often do, but I feel guilty punching down at them.  I feel no guilt at all punching up at folks who by sheer luck have every advantage and still behave like total shits.

I cannot LIKE this enough. There's a difference with being ignorant (aka didn't know better) and acting like your dookey don't stink. Those are the worst kind of special snowflakes. And his wife didn't seem like much of a lawyer if she couldn't figure out how to subpoena evidence or witnesses. I have a friend whose daughter graduated law school and was saying many law school graduates can't find jobs. If they are like Mrs. VanDerZee, I can easily understand why.

• Love 10

A 550 square foot apartment + a 2 1/2 year old cat + a brand new 12 week old kitten = fun. Trapped inside, I'm watching some old DVR episodes:

Watched the Patricia Bean episode and noticed that the story told on the show did not match the written police report. The plaintiff said that she was on the phone with 911 telling them it was not life threatening and Bean was yelling in the background so Plaintiff could not hear. She said something to Bean about that and Bean said she was going to go home and call 911. Plaintiff told her she’d have two 911 lines tied up and asked Bean if she wanted to talk to 911 on her cell. Bean said yes and took the phone. Then she made a nasty remark to Plaintiff. Plaintiff said something about if you are going to talk to me like that just give me my phone back. Then Bean said I’ll give you your bleeping phone back and threw it in the road "and it busted it."

That was what was said on television.

The police report (I paused and read it) says: (paraphrased a little bit)

“Jeanetta said that while trying to assist Bean, she gave Bean her cell phone to call 911. Bean became upset when she could not operate the cell phone and began calling Jeanetta [blurred]. Jeanetta told Bean to give her back her phone and Bean threw it into the street and shattered the screen. Jeanetta attempted to make a call on the shattered phone and could not operate it. I asked Bean what happened and she said she became upset with the [blurred] because she does not know how to use her cell phone and was trying to call police to help her friend…”

Interesting how different they are. Obviously the broken phone was the point, but those are two really different events.

• Love 2

Just saw Bruce and Joyce. I LOVED them. Just when I was terribly depressed by the sad spectacles paraded before us, we get Bruce/ Fu Manchu - composer and handyman -  and Joyce, a doppleganger for the Major from "Animal Farm". I laughed and laughed til I had tears in my eyes. I mean, how funny is it for people that age to hook up and move in together after a week, as roomies? Even funnier that Joyce appeared to be either drunk or under the influence of some illegal substance - meth, according to Bruce. Bruce couldn't shut up. He's the kind of guy who has to get the last word in. Even after JJ told him to be quiet and that his interjection accusing the Major of drug abuse was going to get his claim denied, did he shut up? No, he did not. "It's true", he giggled, which got him on the fast track to the exit.

We need more cases like this.

• Love 5

I don't think Joyce was on meth.  I'd go more for prescription drugs.  The meth heads I've seen on TV (don't know any personally but have met a couple that I suspected) are all skinny, bad teeth and spotted on their face.  Bruce was a hoot and I always crack up at the litigants who WON'T. SHUT. UP.  even after repeated warnings.

Just caught the ep this weekend of the Grandma with the grill wearing hot pink with some kind of vest/dress  She stormed out of court when JJ told her she was losing her case and kept yelling for daughter to follow her. Missed the first 5 min so I hope that one comes up again.  Too much to explain but it is one of the better cases lately.  I think someone posted about it upstream...pl's name was Lindale in some underage paternity case.  Grandma has 9 kids and is quite the piece of work.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, OhioSongbird said:

...I always crack up at the litigants who WON'T. SHUT. UP.  even after repeated warnings.

Trying to decide if I should share my story of being involved in a small court trial where someone just wouldn't shut up.  If anyone's interested I'll take it to Small Talk.

• Love 5

Oh, please...tell, tell!  Had to go to court for a traffic ticket once 40 yrs ago (no front license plate, company truck but the asshole cop told me I was driving so it was on me.  Truck had just been repaired and I didn't know it was missing.  Anyways....case dismissed but in the 2 or so hours I was there waiting and watching cases it was hilarious.  People, people, people.....

• Love 2
59 minutes ago, Zahdii said:

Trying to decide if I should share my story of being involved in a small court trial where someone just wouldn't shut up.  If anyone's interested I'll take it to Small Talk.

I read your story in the small talk thread, hilarious!  Thanks for posting!

• Love 3
12 hours ago, OhioSongbird said:

Just caught the ep this weekend of the Grandma with the grill wearing hot pink with some kind of vest/dress  She stormed out of court when JJ told her she was losing her case and kept yelling for daughter to follow her. Missed the first 5 min so I hope that one comes up again.  Too much to explain but it is one of the better cases lately.  I think someone posted about it upstream...pl's name was Lindale in some underage paternity case.  Grandma has 9 kids and is quite the piece of work.

That was a good one!  Plaintiff Lindale and his grandma were suing over a broken window at grandma's house.  Defendants apparently claimed that the 8-year-old daughter broke the window, maybe thinking that JJ wouldn't hold an 8-year-old-responsible.  ??  Anyway, the 8-year-old was in court but JJ had Byrd escort her out before any testimony because "this could get ugly".

Lindale had impregnated Ms. Randle's daughter when Lindale was 22 and Marisha was 15.  They were all living at Ms. Randle's place -- mom, nine kids -- the oldest 17 and the youngest 1, a niece, and the grandbaby -- 12 people.  JJ asked Ms. Randle how she supported herself, and she said she'd been married 16 years, and that she got child support from the baby's father, as well as disability because of a heart condition.  JJ said she shouldn't have any more babies if she has a heart condition.  JJ was very skeptical about that.

Lindale said he had gone to stay with his grandma for a weekend -- "to get some peace and sanity", and that he got a phone call from Marisha or her mom around 11 p.m. saying he owed $7 for a pack of cigarettes and she was coming to get the money.  Ms. Randle said they went to grandma's because Marisha had called saying that she and Lindale were fighting.  JJ was appalled that Ms. Randle would take children to a scene where violence was possible.

We never did get to hear how the window got broken, or who called who, or what the police report said, because grandma and Ms. Randle started talking over each other and waving papers around.  JJ told grandma to leave, and Ms. Randle rubbed her hands together like she was winning.  When JJ said she was going to rule in Lindale's favor, Ms. Randle started walking out, told Marisha to come on and at the door yelled back that Lindale was a "statutory rapist".

JJ awarded Lindale $325 for the broken window.  It really was a fun case.  Ms. Randle was wearing what looked like a black body suit with a hot pink top.

• Love 2