Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E01: The Savior

• Start Topic

Our heroes set out to stop Hyde, Emma develops a mysterious side effect, and Storybrooke becomes a haven for refugees from the Land of Untold Stories. Meanwhile, Regina and Zelena embrace their newfound sisterhood by becoming roommates, while Rumple tries to free Belle from the sleeping Curse with the help of a stranger. In flashback, Jafar confronts an afflicted Aladdin in Agrabah, and a secret about the Savior is revealed.

• Love 1

Stay away from my Emma, show!

This episode was pleasantly surprising. I found myself feeling for characters that usually make me grit my teeth and I absolutely adored the Morpheus twist. OTOH, I also found myself gritting my teeth at characters I usually adore.  

I think I love Hyde's threat deliveries, even though he's sometimes a little hard to understand.

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, Worsel said:

Well, I did not expect Rumbelle son to be the god of dreams.  Interesting.  

I thought he was just pretending to be Morpheus. Not really sure.

4 minutes ago, Shanna Marie said:

Okay, this is getting closer to Regina without darkness. She actually admitted to having been awful to Snow.

Step 1. Maybe by the end of the season, she'll apologize.

What's with the feather floating down randomly on the bench?

I want MM to shut the eff up whenever she corrects herself from Regina to Evil Queen. It's the same person, lady!! 

• Love 8
1 minute ago, Rumsy4 said:

What's with the feather floating down randomly on the bench?

I want MM to shut the eff up whenever she corrects herself from Regina to Evil Queen. It's the same person, lady!! 

I think it was supposed to be Robin's feather that Roland left for her.  Their symbolic presence (or moving on) for Regina.

And, yes.  They're the same person.  Snow should be able to say "You."

• Love 6

Whoops, missed the fact that there was a live chat. I was live chatting to myself instead... Transcript below :)

Thoughts: (Roughly stream of consciousness as I paid not 100% attention, but ~90%)

• (Pre-show) Yawn. Also, I want to drop kick the Regina-worshipping fans and writers.
  • I do not care even a smidge about Aladdin yet.
  • Killian's hair is short again! :D
  • Wait, everyone is wearing the same clothes as the season finale, so Hook and Emma literally went home, started going at it on the couch, and now we're in full-blown season 6 three minutes later. Emma's reaction to the red jacket comment definitely made it sound like they don't really know each other sexually yet, so does this now officially count as the longest foreplay/cockblock ever? They've gotten all the way to True Love (that's what we're counting that door-opening whatnot last season as, yes? Even though no TLK and rainbow of wonderfulness?) and still haven't gotten to have any fun in bed (or anywhere else...)? Rough deal.
  • Zelena looked much prettier in that green blouse than other shades of green she's previously sported.
  • I'm not sure how I feel about Emma's visions/twitchy thing. Why twitchy? Parkinson's?
  • Pongo <3
  • Ha. Zelena's reaction to Regina mentioning Robin's death in the office read very "Meh, kinda sucks, I guess."
  • How do they not all trip on tree roots and faceplant in the woods in the dark, especially when running.
  • Grown-up baby Rumpbelle looks evil :\
  • No. Do not like creepy death prophecy girl.
  • Gonna smack Emma upside the head for lying to Killian about what's going on in her head. Just when they'd gotten to a good relationship place...
  • "I was an awful stepmother." No shit. What was your first clue?
  • Oh God, Regina and her stories and endings and authors. Shut up. Give it up.
  • Floaty feather on a bench? Forrest, is that you? Jenny?
  • Green apple martini? Ba da bum.

Welp, I may have missed a few snippets here and there, but overall it managed to be both intriguing and underwhelming at the same time. Par for the course, I suppose ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Love 9

Ok so far so good.  It looks like some interesting storylines developing.

1. Regina writing herself a better ending.  I know a lot of people on this board don't like her but honestly I find Regina the most fascinating character on the show and one of the best reasons the keep watching even when the show disappoints me. 

2.  The truth about the Saviors and their inevitable end.  Can a savior have a happy ending or are they doomed to die eventually?

3.  Can Rumple be the man his family needs him to be?  Despite the fact that the show has done this story more than once adding a child maybe adds insentive for Rumple to either try to change or prentend to.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 7
9 minutes ago, InsertWordHere said:

This episode was pleasantly surprising. I found myself feeling for characters that usually make me grit my teeth and I absolutely adored the Morpheus twist. OTOH, I also found myself gritting my teeth at characters I usually adore.  

Same. I thought it was a pretty decent season premiere. The focus was pretty evenly distributed between various storylines without being overwhelming. I LOVED the Morpheus twist. Good job on the Rumbellers who called it.

I can't even be bothered to worry about the manufactured CS drama already. Can't they have at least one moment of peace?? Ugh. That parrot looked like a demon. I bet the oracle was a fake/lying.

I did get that the feather was supposed to symbolize robin moving on. But where did it come from? TV moment, I guess...

Edited by Rumsy4
  • Love 4

I loved the ending scene with Regina/Snow. I really wonder if they're going to address a lot of their unspoken history this season, just going by how Regina looks when Snow mentions her father. Plus they showed Graham in the clip show before the premiere. Makes me wonder if that might be addressed, too. Perhaps with TEQ being separated from her, these little nuggets get revealed and hashed out. This really does feel like the final season.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Mrs. de Winter said:

So Regina is having a hard time and Snow goes to personally talk her through it. 

Emma is having a hard time and she sends Archie. 

I see now what Snow and Regina have in common - worst mothers ever.  

Yeah.  That annoyed me, too.

On the other hand, if she could only talk to one of them, Regina's the one that's most likely to decide to randomly kill people and try to destroy lives.

And since Regina and the Evil Queen seem to mostly be different degrees of the same person, maybe it was reflexive damage control on Snow's part?

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Rumsy4 said:

I did get that the feather was supposed to symbolize robin moving on. But where did it come from? TV moment, I guess...

I figured it was from Regina's summoning spell earlier in the episode. The one her teenage son had to talk her through as though he's the parent.

• Love 7
5 minutes ago, Randomosity said:

Welp, I may have missed a few snippets here and there, but overall it managed to be both intriguing and underwhelming at the same time. Par for the course, I suppose ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Haha. It gives us just enough carrots to keep watching. ;-)

3 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

Can Rumple be the man his family needs him to be?  Despite the fact that the show has done this story more than once adding a child maybe adds insentive for Rumole to either try to change or prentend to.

That's the eternal hope for this storyline, I guess. lol

1 minute ago, InsertWordHere said:

I figured it was from Regina's summoning spell earlier in the episode.

Oh. Good point. 

The one her teenage son had to talk her through as though he's the parent.

Funny. Regina got mothered by her son and her step-daughter in one episode. I do think Robin was brought up meaningfully in this episode. And Regina definitely needed support. I have a feeling Robin won't really be brought up again. But I'm cool with that.

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, Daisy said:

the Rumpbelle twist. Spot. On. didn't see it coming, my mouth dropped open buuuuttttt

how would the baby know how evil Rumple is? like one look and it's doom, run away?

Anyone else get a Wyatt (or Chris) vibe from Charmed regarding this?

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, Daisy said:

how would the baby know how evil Rumple is? like one look and it's doom, run away?

He let him fall through a portal before he was even born, beating his record from the previous son.

Yeah, I'd be pretty convinced this guy would be a crappy father too.

• Love 8

This season going to be a trainwreck, haha.

Pros:
* I actually didn't mind the Beauty and the Beast iconography since it's how Belle perceives the relationship.
* The airship looked nice.

Cons:
* So many characters acted weird or OOC in this episode. Zelena was too dang nice for having just been redeemed, Vanilla!Regina was oddly confused, and Emma backtracked way too much. (Lying to Hook? Really?) 
* I hate the "You're gonna die, Charlie" bit with Emma. That's just dumb. We just saw one character deal with dying (Hook). We don't need to do this again. 
* Morpheus is baby Damien? Really? How does he have the mind of an adult and know who Morpheus is?
* The stupid fan pandering with Robin... ugh. We're supposed to just "believe" that he went to a better place. Yeah, no. Shut up, Henry.
* Disappointed that Vanilla!Regina couldn't apologize for her cruelty to Snow. I get that the writers are making her more aware of how evil she was, but if she doesn't apologize, the remorse is only skin deep.
* "You taught me to have hope, Regina". What the heck? No she didn't. That's like having someone murder a loved one of yours and telling them, "You taught me how to grieve and move on. Thank you."
* This episode was all over the place. First it was about Aladdin, then the LoUS people, then Rumpbelle, then the Mills sisters drama, then Emma's Savior disease, and then grieving over Robin. Everyone I was watching with was so confused. Pick a storyline, writers.
* Hate to say it, but - there wasn't enough Evil Queen. She's been marketed so much and she only appeared in the final scene for mere seconds. For being one of the headliners of the season, she wasn't a very big deal. 

Yes, those are only two pros I mentioned. This is probably the worst season premiere to date.

• Love 10

Surprisingly- the Morpheus reveal was a genuine shock to me- so go writers!

I don't know what to say about the whole Regina situation- so I am just not going to talk about it.  

Emma- just tell Killian.  Never, not one single time has holding back helped any of these people.  Completely manufactured drama. #Disappointing.

Love Hyde and his Hannibal Lector style conversation.

However the best part of the night for me (aside from the live chat- which was awesome as usual)- was texting my cousin (that I usual watch the show with- but she just moved to Cali) that Emma died and her calling me an a-hole. Then I let her know that was probably going to happen all season.  

• Love 1

I wrote this in the live thread, but this is exactly why I don't give a crap about Captain Swan. like they go through all of this, Killian basically went dark one almost off the bat because Emma lied to him (albeit still being the darkone herself) - and now she could DIE, and instead of going to a different realm, or retiring, or you know tell Killian who would basically say let's just set up shop - she's lying to him to what? Protect him? 

what.ever. 

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Mathius said:

He let him fall through a portal before he was even born, beating his record from the previous son.

Yeah, I'd be pretty convinced this guy would be a crappy father too.

LMAO. Best comment! I love baby Rumbelle!

2 minutes ago, KingOfHearts said:

* "You taught me to have hope, Regina". What the heck? No she didn't. That's like having someone murder a loved one of yours and telling them, "You taught me how to grieve and move on. Thank you."

I can't even be upset. It's typical of Regina/Snow conversations. 

• Love 3

I wrote this in the live thread, but this is exactly why I don't give a crap about Captain Swan. like they go through all of this, Killian basically went dark one almost off the bat because Emma lied to him (albeit still being the darkone herself) - and now she could DIE, and instead of going to a different realm, or retiring, or you know tell Killian who would basically say let's just set up shop - she's lying to him to what? Protect him? 

It's a total repeat of S5. It's a trope. And I hate it. Emma should have enough crap to deal with when it comes to sheriffing for all those new arrivals. If the writers want to explore the Savior mythology with Aladdin and go over the "everyone takes and takes" thing like they did in 4A, then fine. But imminent death? Are we going to go retrieve her soul from the Underworld in 6B? I can't take it seriously when the main character is slated to die. We all know it's not going to happen. (At least for very long...)

I love baby Rumbelle!

I would too if it weren't so hokey.

Why is Emma the only person who needs therapy? Regina just got half her psyche yanked out of her. Archie should have at least visited her after Emma or something.

Did anyone else get a "The Others" vibe when the LoUS folks had the torches lid up in the forest?

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 6
7 minutes ago, KingOfHearts said:

Why is Emma the only person who needs therapy? Regina just got half her psyche yanked out of her. Archie should have at least visited her after Emma or something.

Emma only needs Archie because her parents are too busy with their two other kids - he whose name shall not be said (at least I assume that is where Charming was at the end) and Regina.

• Love 6

We're getting flash forwards now? I guess at least everyone has their memories. 

So the saviors are like doomed? Like anyone who touched the ring in Lord of the Rings? lol 

The Oracle bird in same episode as Jafar made me think of Iago. 

Edited by Artsda
  • Love 6
7 minutes ago, KingOfHearts said:

Killian needs it too. In the form of couples therapy.

• Love 5

I'm starting to doubt what Morpheus said.  I think he woke Belle up because he is the god of dreams and has that power, not that he is her son and they have true love.  He has some nefarious agenda.  You can't always trust the gods...

5 minutes ago, KingOfHearts said:

It's a total repeat of S5. It's a trope. And I hate it. Emma should have enough crap to deal with when it comes to sheriffing for all those new arrivals. If the writers want to explore the Savior mythology with Aladdin and go over the "everyone takes and takes" thing like they did in 4A, then fine. But imminent death? Are we going to go retrieve her soul from the Underworld in 6B? I can't take it seriously when the main character is slated to die. We all know it's not going to happen. (At least for very long...)

I sincerely think this whole storyline would work better if Emma told Hook and Snowing and shrugged the whole thing off.  Then Emma could go about her business while Snowing and Hook worry.  It doesn't make a ton of sense that shaking hand + Hyde's stories + Oracle parrot girl + visions = inevitable death in the span of a single episode. 

That they decided for Emma to hide this makes me think they are planning to do something even more annoying with the plot.

• Love 7

At some point the contrived tension is too contrived. Captain Swan reached a point like that tonight. I get that maybe she's scared of what's going on but by next episode she better tell killian the truth. And seriously, A&E need to start listening to some truths from fans. Yes, we want them to be a team! There can be tension that they face, but they can face it together. Its now Emma and Killian against the world so stop with the melodrama between them.

I actually liked the Regina/Snow talk on the bench. It may not have been an I'm sorry, but it's a self awareness that I hope we get more of with the two half's of Regina out there.

Rumbelle was a whole lot of meh for me aside from the Morpheus reveal. Emily's acting bugged me more than usual this week.

Calling it now as others have on the internet already: that red bird was Iago and the oracle was really Jafar.

Edited by sharky
  • Love 7

I love how the writers keep telling us that Regina has it worse than everyone, and yet what they write is that Saviors are somehow doomed so that Emma is literally being punished for being a good person.

I guess I'm not as hard on Emma as the rest of y'all, mostly because I'm the kind of fiercely independent person who probably wouldn't have told my boyfriend, either. I'd at least try to work it out for myself. Or I'd at least take some time to get used to the idea and work out some mental plans and get my own feelings worked out before I told him and then had to deal with his feelings. Then again, I've never had a boyfriend I've been through the kind of stuff with that they've been through together.

I'd add Killian to Archie's appointment list, not because of couples therapy but because he really should have some raging PTSD going on after everything he's gone through recently. But they already seem to have forgotten that he's been through anything.

• Love 12

Best part-Belle's son saving her.

Worst--Contrived Captain Swan angst.  Hook literally came back from the dead a few hours ago and now Emma thinks she's destined to die soon. Really show?  Didn't we just have a year of will/they won't they die?  Ugh.  Not here to watch Emma be tortured about dying or watching her lie to Hook, who clearly doesn't beleive her.

• Love 7

Now that I think about it, Regina just did the same thing to Zelena that she did with Snow: blame her for her lover's death rather than the actual killer. Regina told Snow to keep a secret, Cora manipulated Snow then killed Daniel, and Regina blamed Snow for it. Regina encouraged Zelena to go after Hades and try to change him, Hades manipulated Zelena then killed Robin, and Regina blames Zelena for it.  Yes, Zelena has an indirect role in it like Snow did, but so did you, Regina, and so did Robin for that matter.  It's a slippery slope when you play the Blame Game, so why not stick to just blaming the actual murderer and absolve all indirect participants?  Things will go much easier for everyone that way.

Edited by Mathius
  • Love 11

It's too bad they apparently couldn't get Naveen Andrews to reprise Jafar like he then on the Wonderland spin-off, but Oded Fehr is just as awesome!  That casting alone might make him one of my new favorite villains.  Aladdin didn't leave much of an impression, but I'm looking forward to 

Spoiler

Karen David as Jasmine.

Every time I see Hyde, I still see a British Bill Compton from True Blood.  I'm getting a kick out of him, at least.  Sam Witwer seems to be having fun in the role.

"Why are you here?"  He's here because they were able to get Raphael Sbarge to show up on set again for a few hours, Emma!  Duh!

So, Emma is having visions and tremors that are connected to the whole savior thing, and she is seeing visions where she will get killed.  So, naturally, she.... lies to Hook and the rest about it.  What is up with these characters and not just telling the damn truth?  A lot of problems could be solved if they just had discussions!

Rumpel goes into Belle's dreams to wake her up, meets Morpheus, and after some nice Beauty & the Beast homages/fan service, they both find out Morpheus is actually their son (?!), and warns Belle that Rumpel that he sucks, so she ends it with him... again.  Let see if this actually sticks.

Regina is sad about Robin and has a nice talk to talk with Snow.  She also admits she blames Zelena for what happens, but Zelena finds an ally in... The Evil Queen!  She's back!

I can't wait to see who has all arrived in Hyde's party blimp.  So many characters in the Disney vault for this show to either make awesome or a disaster.  There really isn't any middle ground on that front.

• Love 5

This (a little spoilery) EW post-episode interview with A&E kind of explains their rationale with Emma withholding the secret:

Is it fair to return the happy endings to everyone else and be told yours doesn’t come? Would you still keep doing your job? Are you doing it out of the sake of duty or because you believe in it? What kind of role model are you? We really wanted to get into Emma’s head this year, in a character way, and really explore what it means to have this responsibility.

But yes, by trying to keep this battle contained within her head -- and thus keeping it from her loved ones -- they're just retreading old, tedious territory. 

• Love 12
19 minutes ago, sharky said:

At some point the contrived tension is too contrived. Captain Swan reached a point like that tonight. I get that maybe she's scared of what's going on but by next episode she better tell killian the truth. And seriously, A&E need to start listening to some truths from fans. Yes, we want them to be a team! There can be tension that they face, but they can face it together. Its now Emma and Killian against the world so stop with the melodrama between them.

The problem I'm having is that Emma keeps learning the same lesson about letting people inside her walls over and over and over again.  I'm tired of the hamster wheel.  I'm tired of bookending the entirety of a season or half season arc with a good scene at the beginning and at the end while ignoring all the potential in-between.

• Love 11
8 minutes ago, retrograde said:

But yes, by trying to keep this battle contained within her head -- and thus keeping it from her loved ones -- they're just retreading old, tedious territory. 

Also, it's the sixth freaking season and just NOW you want to "get inside the head" of your main character?

Why do I feel like somehow this is Adam and Eddy's way of appeasing the "we want Season 1 Emma back!" anti-CS crowd that was so vocal last year?

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, retrograde said:

This (a little spoilery) EW post-episode interview with A&E kind of explains their rationale with Emma withholding the secret:

Damn it.  Maybe I should quit.

Did they actually just say that last season was about Emma pulling down the walls to let the good things in and now that she has she realizes that this also lets the bad things in so she's putting the walls back up.  Like that's news to Emma.  That is why the walls were there in the first place.  She overcame that already.  OMG.

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Love 9

Give Emma a break 2k16. 

I'm tired of the walls being knocked down and growing up again. I understand why Emma doesn't want to tell Killian the truth about her dying, but before she didn't know what the vision was. Maybe if she hadn't seen it all she'd have said something at the end of the episode. Anyway, we know Emma won't die. And please let her have sex with Killian. 

Actually, give all the characters a break. The visitors & the EQ didn't have to arrive right away. They could've had some moments of peace. 

That scene with Snow & Regina was longer than any Snow/Emma scene ever. At least Regina is in the road to apologizing, it seems. And Snow, Regina IS the Evil Queen. This is as dumb as the storybook plot. 

Hyde's "menacing" voice is hilarious at times. 

The "twist" of Morpheus being Rumbelle's child was actually surprising! 

Overall, I'm glad there wasn't that much focus on Regina, and that there's a storyline for Emma. Let's just see how long it takes to break down her walls AGAIN.

I'm thinking Aladdin isn't dead. I loved Naveen Andrews but this Jafar is cool too. Don't ruin him! 

• Love 5
36 minutes ago, Worsel said:

I'm starting to doubt what Morpheus said.  I think he woke Belle up because he is the god of dreams and has that power, not that he is her son and they have true love.  He has some nefarious agenda.  You can't always trust the gods...

He wasn't the real Morpheus though. He tricked them to see if Belle would fall for Rumple's lies again. She didn't, so he woke her.

The whole thing was kind of weird, but casting really did find someone who fit the bill and kind of looked Robert Carlyle. 

Also, I laughed because the baby hates Rumple from inside the womb, and it's kind of funny.

Good for Belle for choosing her child. Let's hope she sticks with that decision.

I really love Captain Swan, but I'm not into contrived angst and it bugs the hell out of me that the characters get put through the paces with these big lessons that they don't seem to learn. But I really feel like the quick talk Archie had with Emma regressed her some. And I just hated to see how quickly she dismissed Hook and his concern for her. They did a whole season where she is fighting for him. 

I get that whatever is happening with Emma is scary to her, but still. There are people who are there and who want to help her. Well not Snow, because Snow clearly gave birth to Regina and not Emma. Snow sends insufferable "therapist" to her daughter, the same one who gave her advice back in season 4, advice that Snow really didn't like all that much.

The Regina/Zelena scene in the house was actually really funny. And I saw shades of season 1 Mayor Mills in that scene when Regina was looking at the boxes. It reminded me of her bursting into Henry's room with his shoe that was in the stairs to scold him over it.

I see that we now have the Apprentice's wand that can open portals at will AND the slippers. So we can just hop realms now, like no biggie. I guess that's also how they will be sending people back to their respective homes.

• Love 5

If anything I thought Killian was acting like a brat.  Emma doesn't feel like talking right this second and he goes stomping off.  

As for why Snow sent Archie instead of talking to Emma herself sometimes talking to someone who isn't your mother helps.  I can't explain it but I understand relationships between Emma and Snow are different then between Snow and Regina.  Emma was never going to talk to Snow about her feelings abd Snow knew it so she sent Archie holding that maybe Emma would talk to him.  Snow and Regina have gotten to a place where they can talk about their pasts in a way that is without judgment or reproach.

• Love 1