Type keyword(s) to search

The Office (US) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)
On 6/13/2022 at 6:45 PM, Milburn Stone said:

Are there juicy BTS revelations?

Yes! The group is taking a break to pursue solo recording projects...

Edited by wknt3
typo
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 5

I forgot to say, I finished Angela and Jenna's book.  I adoooooooooooooooooored it.  I really recommend it.  They really make the reader feel like a friend.  It was very intimate and detailed and thorough.  I think any Office fan would appreciate it.

• Love 5
On 3/26/2022 at 4:57 PM, raven said:

I loathed Holly.  The stupid voices and the PDA in the office.  She was HR!  She's letting her boyfriend/boss sit on her lap in a meeting!  We didn't need another Michael Scott.   She wasn't funny.  I really couldn't stand her.   Michael was, for me, ultimately unlikable - his OTT hatred of Toby was so bizarre - but he showed flashes of warmth and humanity.  Holly was an unneeded Michael clone.

Did anyone else think that the actress who played Holly didn't really fit the part? I mean, for someone who was supposed to be basically a Michael clone, she played the part so listlessly, IMO. Almost as if the actress was unsure of whether or not to commit fully to the joke. Or maybe the character was actually supposed to feel that way, like she was unsure of whether she should be funny or keep it professional? I don't know, I'm probably not describing my thoughts very well. But I feel like Holly should have been played by someone more bubbly, or perky, or something. I always think of Judy Greer.

Anyway, I only started watching this show in the past year, when I needed something to watch on a flight. Got addicted really quickly. The phony fire drill scene makes me howl every time. BUT, I think the single funniest moment of the series is after Michael hits Meredith with his car and is explaining what happened to everyone. When Jim asks who was driving...the look on Michael's face...I LOSE it! Lol.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
(edited)

The Lego Ideas set #21336 "The Office" was officially revealed today and is now available for pre-order direct from Lego (USA), with a ship date of after October 1st.  Priced at $119.99, the set has 1164 pieces and 15 minifigs:

Michael Scott, Dwight Schrute, Jim Halpert, Pam Beesly, Ryan Howard, Angela Martin, Oscar Martinez, Kevin Malone, Stanley Hudson, Kelly Kapoor, Phyllis Lapin Vance, Meredith Palmer, Creed Bratton, Toby Flenderson and Darryl Philbin, plus a LEGO figure of Angela’s cat Garbage.

The set measures about 12 inches wide, 10 inches deep, and 3 inches high.

For those interested in buying and building the set, but are not familiar with modern Lego sets, the most challenging aspect of building this set will be applying the numerous stickers.  (The BrickNerd blog has good tips on how to best apply stickers to Lego parts.)  Lego's building instructions should be easy to follow, as they always include a parts list for each step nowadays and highlight those parts in the step's image.  (And, if your last experience with Lego was from the 1990s or earlier, the building steps are much more iterative nowadays, with just a few pieces per step, compared to sometimes a dozen or so.)

2022-07-15_10-33-37.thumb.jpg.edabe020c11d128e4af53297abcc7985.jpg

2022-07-15_10-34-06.thumb.jpg.e1d285b9374e7164302f31be42d025bb.jpg

2022-07-15_10-32-45.thumb.jpg.cf5ffd4f2f72602507b7f8ad208df055.jpg

More (and larger) photos can be viewed at the Lego shop link above or at Brickset.com (Lego review and set database site).

My earlier post about the approval announcement:

Edited by Just Here
clarity
  • Love 6
On 6/28/2022 at 10:59 AM, Ms Blue Jay said:

I forgot to say, I finished Angela and Jenna's book.  I adoooooooooooooooooored it.  I really recommend it.  They really make the reader feel like a friend.  It was very intimate and detailed and thorough.  I think any Office fan would appreciate it.

Loved it also. One to buy and keep. Makes me sad that I don’t have a friend like that. Though…Take a shot every time Target is mentioned! 
I’ll have to check out the podcast. 
I’m on episode two of the podcast. Target mention. It must be these twos primary source of income, Target shillers. Still have a hard time believing wealthy people like this  are shopping at target all that much. If it’s true , I am enamored!😍

Edited by chediavolo
Add
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, chediavolo said:

Loved it also. One to buy and keep. Makes me sad that I don’t have a friend like that. Though…Take a shot every time Target is mentioned! 
I’ll have to check out the podcast. 
I’m on episode two of the podcast. Target mention. It must be these twos primary source of income, Target shillers. Still have a hard time believing wealthy people like this  are shopping at target all that much. If it’s true , I am enamored!😍

It could be that they're promoting it for $, but if I were wealthy, I'd still shop at Target. I don't know what it is about the store, but I go in and just feel happy. I guess the colors, cozy feeling, seeing friends of mine there sometimes, I just like it. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
29 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

It could be that they're promoting it for $, but if I were wealthy, I'd still shop at Target. I don't know what it is about the store, but I go in and just feel happy. I guess the colors, cozy feeling, seeing friends of mine there sometimes, I just like it. 

Target spectacularly failed here in Canada, but I know what you mean, that is my brother and I at Ikea.  We could live there.

• Love 1

What I don't get is how if Angela was married to a state senator and he cheated on her and freely admitted it, why did she get  nothing in the divorce? Why were she and Phillip reduced to living in a crappy studio apartment with no money?

• Like 1
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

What I don't get is how if Angela was married to a state senator and he cheated on her and freely admitted it, why did she get  nothing in the divorce? Why were she and Phillip reduced to living in a crappy studio apartment with no money?

She also cheated on him, so that might wipe each other out. But, yeah, it makes no sense.  It's not like she was destitute before marrying him, so she should have at least had what she had going in.  And he's Phillip's legal's father so there should have been child support.  

• Like 2
  • Love 3
On 3/9/2018 at 8:46 PM, Bebecat said:

i really like the character of Michael’s boss David. He is extremely funny and great in that role. 

Played by Andy Buckley-my biggest celebrity crush. Hot. Hot. Hot. LOL.

Edited by queta
Tried to merge quoted texts. Couldn't figure it out.
  • Like 1
  • Love 4
On 1/31/2022 at 3:25 AM, Columbo said:

I noticed this rewatch how childlike Erin is and it's really disturbing and creepy. It goes beyond beyond innocence and makes me side eye the men who dated her on the show. Because surely they would have been put out with even conversing with her for even five minutes. But they were probably liking the power dynamics of the relationship. Like for example Gabe always choosing horror movies because he's better at scrabble than Erin.

Yeah, and the fact they made her a child who grew up in foster care was not cool. The scene with Andy meeting her foster brother/roommate and the suggestion that they could have sexual tension between them was, just....not something to make light of.  And it kind of implied that someone like Erin would be too naive to realize that. I HATED the Erin story line.

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, queta said:

Played by Andy Buckley-my biggest celebrity crush. Hot. Hot. Hot. LOL.

Did I read something somewhere that he wasn't even an actor when he got cast? Like, he was somebody's accountant or somebody? I agree he was fantastic in the role. (I didn't have a crush on him, but I can see how someone could.) 😊

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, Milburn Stone said:

Like, he was somebody's accountant or somebody?

He had acted previously but was working full time at Merrill Lynch when he was cast on The Office.  He kept the ML job while on The Office.

13 hours ago, queta said:

I HATED the Erin story line.

Yeah, I hate when shows want a naive character and just make them dumb (Rose on the Golden Girls comes to mind also).  The show could have expanded on Erin's friendship with Kelly (the video they made together is hilarious).  I actually liked Erin with Michael; she looked up to him as a sort of mentor figure and they never crossed the sexual line.  Her best bit was dumping Andy after he came back from his boat trip.   Andy was pressuring her to get back together and at first she sorta went along before finally telling him she didn't want to be with him and how she felt.     For a show that did a such good job with Dwight's growth, Andy, unfortunately, devolved into a caricature. 

Positive stuff?  When I'm having a bad day, I turn on "Cafe Disco".  I just love that episode,  original and supersized. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 8/20/2022 at 7:16 AM, Milburn Stone said:

Did I read something somewhere that he wasn't even an actor when he got cast? Like, he was somebody's accountant or somebody? I agree he was fantastic in the role. (I didn't have a crush on him, but I can see how someone could.) 😊

I read that, too. I can see why they'd want him for the role of David Wallace. He's the epitome of the executive type.

• Love 4

I've been bingeing the early seasons the last few days, but I can never seem to make it past season 5.

Seasons 2 and 3 were my favorites. I remember spending so much money renting these seasons from Blockbuster because they rented them one disc at a time. I'd always balk at the $39.99 price tag to buy the season and then wind up spending way more than that in late fees renting single discs. Just a random memory of my intro to the show back in the mid aughts.

Minor nitpicks I have with the Pam story is stuff like the graphic design classes "the company" offers, the one Jan tells her about in the women's meeting she's holding. It just didn't make sense to me why a paper company would have a graphic design program and why some random receptionist would be chosen for such a program. Especially when we saw her sad artwork in the art show later on.

It's kinda like 'never had a job before waitress at a coffee house' Rachel on Friends, who decides she wants a career and bam, she's climbing the fashion ladder at Ralph Lauren without a lick of experience. Pam's been an unmotivated receptionist for however many years, but suddenly she's all in on art. Except then later she became a paper salesperson, right? (didn't watch the later seasons). 

I loathed Holly.  The stupid voices and the PDA in the office.  She was HR!  She's letting her boyfriend/boss sit on her lap in a meeting!  We didn't need another Michael Scott.   She wasn't funny.  I really couldn't stand her.   Michael was, for me, ultimately unlikable - his OTT hatred of Toby was so bizarre - but he showed flashes of warmth and humanity.  Holly was an unneeded Michael clone.

Holly's introduction arc was pretty good though. The running gag of her thinking Kevin was mentally challenged, culminating in the final reveal when she finds out her mistake, hilarious. I love Angela's sneering glee when that unraveled in front of the whole office.

Michael's irrational hatred of Toby was kind of funny simply because Toby was so inoffensive, but the sad sack character of Toby kinda bothered me at times. Like taking his Christmas gift away, taking Beach Day away from him, I don't find it that fun to see someone treated like a punch bag (I felt the same way about Gerry on Parks & Rec). 

Mindy Kaling/Kelly Kapoor is an underrated character, IMO. Once they figured out who her character was, she was really consistently funny. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 4

Rachel didn't go from zero to Ralph Lauren.  She was a waitress, then an assistant, then a buyer/shopper, then she got the interview at RL.  She got the opportunity to be the buyer/shopper from a guy who was attracted to her (in my opinion, this is hotly debated LOL) so there is I think, a very organic explanation for each step.  I'm not saying any of this is fair, but it is what happened on the show.  In my experience, in the fashion world your looks and style are always a big factor in getting opportunities.  It even applies in industries where I think that it shouldn't, like tech, so even moreso in fashion!

I love Season 3 of The Office the best, personally, but my impression was always that the fanbase loves 2 the most.  I think 3 is just genius.  I actually love the character of Toby so much, he's so relatable, until they made him so creepy with Pam.  It was just ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh so unnecessary.  And it honestly felt so out of character.  After 5, I still like Season 7 as well.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, ljenkins782 said:

It just didn't make sense to me why a paper company would have a graphic design program and why some random receptionist would be chosen for such a program. 

Was that after she went to art school?  I don't remember. 

I can get past that because I have to accept that, even back then, a paper company would be so successful that they would have a manager, multiple accountants and sales people and office staff, once Erin came on board. 

5 hours ago, ljenkins782 said:

Mindy Kaling/Kelly Kapoor is an underrated character, IMO. Once they figured out who her character was, she was really consistently funny. 

Yes!  I watched a couple of S1 episodes and she was completely different.  Once she changed, she was always funny.   Mindy Kaling had the airhead character nailed.   Even though he would be a person I couldn't stand IRL, Ryan was also always funny and they were funny together.

• Like 1

Season 3 is probably my favorite because of the Stamford branch and Pam's independence. Season 2 is second but has some of my favorite individual episodes. The season 4 finale, Goodbye Toby, is their best finale IMO.

I thought Holly was terrible at her job but she and Michael were a good match. The actors brought that same dorky energy which made the chemistry believable to me. I never watched The Wire so I wasn't familiar with Amy Ryan before she was on the show.

I used to not like season 5, but it's grown on me because of the Michael Scott Paper Company storyline. Pam and Michael both grow as characters and I'm rooting for them to succeed which helps make season 5 watchable for me.

Where it goes downhill is the season 6 episode, Mafia, the episode after Jim and Pam's wedding. Not only is it one of the worst episodes, it makes the show unwatchable for me until season 9. I can still tolerate 6 and 7 sometimes, but season 8 is always a no for me.

I didn't mind the graphic design thing. I think Jan showed she was desperate to have a good outcome of the meeting so learning that Pam had a talent was her shot at taking a result back to corporate. It's a paper company so they could have a design/printing business too. They already get paper at cost so they could charge a similar cost for the printed item as competitors but still have a wider profit margin.

I thought Pam's art they showed during her art school show was fine. The animation she did for Michael's Dunder Mifflin commercial was much improved. Although, I will say Pam's mural at the end of season 9 was not good. I still kind of chuckle during the reveal.

• Love 4
15 hours ago, Catfi9ht said:

I thought Holly was terrible at her job but she and Michael were a good match.

The one time she tried to be good at her job (firing Meredith for trading sex for good deals), she was chastised by corporate because, hey, good deals.  

• Like 3
On 8/31/2022 at 6:27 PM, Catfi9ht said:

I didn't mind the graphic design thing. I think Jan showed she was desperate to have a good outcome of the meeting so learning that Pam had a talent was her shot at taking a result back to corporate. It's a paper company so they could have a design/printing business too. They already get paper at cost so they could charge a similar cost for the printed item as competitors but still have a wider profit margin.

I thought Pam's art they showed during her art school show was fine. The animation she did for Michael's Dunder Mifflin commercial was much improved. Although, I will say Pam's mural at the end of season 9 was not good. I still kind of chuckle during the reveal.

Her art would be fine for a receptionist doodling in her spare time, but for someone who was about to seriously start pursuing art, it was terribly amateurish. And in terms of displaying your best work, like I'd imagine you'd want to do at an art show (no matter how small), mediocre sketches of staplers and flower vases seem like odd choices.

I do get the idea of Jan looking for a win out of that abysmal session, but still quibble with the idea of a company wanting to pay for her education when she'd never shown the slightest ambition.

In terms of Dunder Mifflin as a company, I also find it slightly weird that they go on and on about their superior customer service and attendance to their customers' needs day and night. I can't actually say because I haven't been in the position of sales or office management, but are paper needs really so dramatic and in need of intense support? 

Rachel didn't go from zero to Ralph Lauren.  She was a waitress, then an assistant, then a buyer/shopper, then she got the interview at RL.  She got the opportunity to be the buyer/shopper from a guy who was attracted to her (in my opinion, this is hotly debated LOL) so there is I think, a very organic explanation for each step.  I'm not saying any of this is fair, but it is what happened on the show.  In my experience, in the fashion world your looks and style are always a big factor in getting opportunities.  It even applies in industries where I think that it shouldn't, like tech, so even moreso in fashion!

Eh, I was being hyperbolic but even without hyperbole, it was a fairly meteoric rise for someone with zero experience. I happen to agree with you that she got the job solely because the guy thought she was hot, but unless he was sole arbiter of who gets hired, I'd think it would be a tough sell to say "hey, there's this girl I met for 10 seconds and she wants to be in fashion. Her experience is waitress in a coffee shop and that's it. But she's pretty so...." 

Yes!  I watched a couple of S1 episodes and she was completely different.  Once she changed, she was always funny.   Mindy Kaling had the airhead character nailed.   Even though he would be a person I couldn't stand IRL, Ryan was also always funny and they were funny together.

Yeah, Ryan's arrogance would be super off-putting IRL, but he's certainly a recognizable character and it added a dimension to the office. His little spiral out at corporate is one of my favorite surprise storylines. And Kelly likewise contributed a little bit of youthful perspective, they were both more in tune with the millennial lifestyle than the other younger characters. Pam, Jim, and Karen all seemed to be in a different phase of life than Ryan and Kelly and who the hell can even tell how old Dwight and Angela were supposed to be! 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, ljenkins782 said:

Her art would be fine for a receptionist doodling in her spare time, but for someone who was about to seriously start pursuing art, it was terribly amateurish. And in terms of displaying your best work, like I'd imagine you'd want to do at an art show (no matter how small), mediocre sketches of staplers and flower vases seem like odd choices.

I do get the idea of Jan looking for a win out of that abysmal session, but still quibble with the idea of a company wanting to pay for her education when she'd never shown the slightest ambition.

In terms of Dunder Mifflin as a company, I also find it slightly weird that they go on and on about their superior customer service and attendance to their customers' needs day and night. I can't actually say because I haven't been in the position of sales or office management, but are paper needs really so dramatic and in need of intense support? 

Her art show was adult night classes. It wasn't until she got accepted to Pratt that it was a professional art school. It was explained in the episode that her choice and style of art reflected her timid personality. Water color is a pretty finicky technique. It's an additive process, is tricky to mix the colors sometimes, and is prone to bleed through. Her amateur level experience matches the end result.

Pam had good work attendance and Jan's recommendation which is all most company education programs would need. If they looked at her past performances too, she probably would have gotten good reviews from Michael because of how he looked at all of his employees family.

Mistakes happen. Unforseen events happen. Emergencies happen for every business. Who wouldn't want responsive customer service when you're in a bind? I know I would.

• Love 2

I don’t know how I managed to have completely missed out on The Office all these years, but I’d never seen it. I binged all 9 seasons. I’d have to agree that the show went off the rails when Michael left. It was still funny, but it just wasn’t the same.

At the beginning I thought Michael was the most obnoxious character I’d ever seen. After a while it became apparent that despite his egotistical demands for attention, underneath he really had a good heart and cared about his employees like family. The one exception was when he had the Golden Ticket idea, tried to throw Dwight under the bus when corporate didn’t like it, and then insisted it was his idea when it turned out well.

The two characters I hated with a passion were Kelly and Ryan (also hated Angela, but these two were way worse). Kelly alternated between vapid little Kartrashian-idolizing twit and selfish, egotistical, manipulative, vindictive mean girl. Lying that she was pregnant to get Ryan back was repulsive. Ryan was an amoral backstabber (am I recalling correctly that at one point he claimed Gordon Gekko was a role model?) and at the same time, an immature asshole who was constantly jerking Kelly around. When he had her she irritated him (couldn’t really blame him for that though), but when she was with someone else he had to have her. I also didn’t get why he was the “hot” guy. Sorry, I just don’t see it.

And Andy…yecch. So many times he should have been fired.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, CarpeFelis said:

I don’t know how I managed to have completely missed out on The Office all these years, but I’d never seen it. I binged all 9 seasons. I’d have to agree that the show went off the rails when Michael left. It was still funny, but it just wasn’t the same.

At the beginning I thought Michael was the most obnoxious character I’d ever seen. After a while it became apparent that despite his egotistical demands for attention, underneath he really had a good heart and cared about his employees like family. The one exception was when he had the Golden Ticket idea, tried to throw Dwight under the bus when corporate didn’t like it, and then insisted it was his idea when it turned out well.

The two characters I hated with a passion were Kelly and Ryan (also hated Angela, but these two were way worse). Kelly alternated between vapid little Kartrashian-idolizing twit and selfish, egotistical, manipulative, vindictive mean girl. Lying that she was pregnant to get Ryan back was repulsive. Ryan was an amoral backstabber (am I recalling correctly that at one point he claimed Gordon Gekko was a role model?) and at the same time, an immature asshole who was constantly jerking Kelly around. When he had her she irritated him (couldn’t really blame him for that though), but when she was with someone else he had to have her. I also didn’t get why he was the “hot” guy. Sorry, I just don’t see it.

And Andy…yecch. So many times he should have been fired.

I agree with all of this. I hated Ryan and Andy completely. Kelli, I just found annoying. I think only Michael found Ryan "hot".

• Like 1
21 hours ago, CarpeFelis said:

Kelly alternated between vapid little Kartrashian-idolizing twit and selfish, egotistical, manipulative, vindictive mean girl. Lying that she was pregnant to get Ryan back was repulsive.

Kelly also used the "excuse", "I was raped" to try to get out of being in trouble when she got caught falsifying Dwight's and Jim's customer service results because they didn't come to her "America's Got Talent" party. She's pretty much every abhorrent female stereotype in a single character.

I never watched the show when it was live either. It's too close to how Corporate America operates. When I was in the middle of sometimes identical situations, it hit too close to home and was only a painful reminder of terrible jobs and terrible bosses. Now that I'm no longer in those situations, I can laugh and find them funny instead of horrifying reminders of my current situation.

Edited by Catfi9ht
Modified for clarity
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, Catfi9ht said:

Kelly also used the "excuse", "I was raped" to try to get out of being in trouble when she got caught falsifying Dwight's and Jim's customer service results because they didn't come to her "America's Got Talent" party. She's pretty much every abhorrent female stereotype in a single character.

I never watched the show when it was live either. It's too close to how Corporate America operates. When I was in the middle of sometimes identical situations, it hit too close to home and was only a painful reminder of terrible jobs and terrible bosses. Now that I'm no longer in those situations, I can laugh and find them funny instead of horrifying reminders of my current situation.

Damn, are you me? I went through the same thing. I could not watch the original run for the reasons you stated but now that I'm retired, I find it hilarious!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

Damn, are you me? I went through the same thing. I could not watch the original run for the reasons you stated but now that I'm retired, I find it hilarious!

Also retired, from Boeing. I find it hilarious but still couldn’t help thinking how Michael would have been fired for most of the stunts he pulled if he’d worked there. Likewise for Dwight, Ryan, Kelly, Andy…

• Love 2

Now I'm wondering if I was able to enjoy The Office so much because I started watching it while working remotely. I recently started a hybrid situation, and I still just laugh and don't think of the antics as anything more than OTT characters meant to entertain. I guess I get more annoyed by character flaws when a show is more serious or an asshole is supposed to be a heroine. 

• Like 2
On 9/1/2022 at 5:57 AM, Ms Blue Jay said:

I love Season 3 of The Office the best, personally, but my impression was always that the fanbase loves 2 the most.  I think 3 is just genius.  I actually love the character of Toby so much, he's so relatable, until they made him so creepy with Pam.  It was just ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh so unnecessary.  And it honestly felt so out of character.  After 5, I still like Season 7 as well.

I agree, season 3 is just genius. It's great in a comedic sense, but more importantly the best character work was done this season, especially with Dwight and Pam.

• Love 2
32 minutes ago, Catfi9ht said:

Someone posted the Saudi Arabian version of The Office's fire drill episode to Twitter. Figured I'd share. 

Thank you for sharing that!

Another funny part of Fire Drill was after the disaster, Michael and Dwight were called into the corporate office.  David Wallace couldn't believe that to Michael, this was just another day at the office.  

Michael:  Dwight, we're not mad.  We are just disappointed.

David Wallace:  No, we are mad.

Michael:  Yes, we are.  We are livid.  But we are going to let this one slide.

David Wallace:  No, we aren't.

Michael:  I'm not a mind reader, David.

• Like 1
  • LOL 4

Just finished watching the season 6 super fan episodes, and I am howling at everyone’s impressions of other people in the office. Jim nails Andy and Dwight does a great Creed. 

Edited by Claire85
  • LOL 1
5 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I love your avatar! Claire Trevor, Key Largo, right? What a great movie.

Yep! One of my favorites. Edward G Robinson is the best. Love yours as well. 

Edited by Claire85
  • Applause 1

The Christmas Party episode in Season 2, was classic. 

Michael in a liquor store: Is this enough to get a bunch of people drunk?

Clerk: Fifteen bottles of vodka? Yeah that ought to do it. 

And Michael Scott totally ruining everyones gift-giving.

I did a Yankee Swap at my former job. It wasn't with serious gifts. I told everyone to bring in something tacky (but new). LIke get something at a  Dollar store. Then we chose a gift at random and swapped it. It was fun. It ended when everyone was happy with what they ended up with. 

Edited by TVMovieBuff
  • Like 2
  • LOL 1

I’m enjoying my rediscovery of The Office lately. It definitely had its ups and downs post-Michael years but there’s still several funny moments. Plus, listening to The Office Ladies podcast with Jenna and Angela really developed my appreciation for the cast and the writing.

I try not to get fixated about how it deviates quite a bit from corporate reality, but it does a good job tapping into a lot of it, as well as the awkwardness of getting to know people.

Andy was my least favorite of the later cast additions. I felt the writers never knew what to do with him.

This exchange was genius, Michael is an idiot sage:

Edited by Not4Me
  • Like 1
11 hours ago, Not4Me said:

I’m enjoying my rediscovery of The Office lately. It definitely had its ups and downs post-Michael years but there’s still several funny moments. Plus, listening to The Office Ladies podcast with Jenna and Angela really developed my appreciation for the cast and the writing.

I try not to get fixated about how it deviates quite a bit from corporate reality, but it does a good job tapping into a lot of it, as well as the awkwardness of getting to know people.

Andy was my least favorite of the later cast additions. I felt the writers never knew what to do with him.

This exchange was genius, Michael is an idiot sage:

I did not like Andy either. He wasn't funny and I felt sorry for the way his family treated him.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I did not like Andy either. He wasn't funny and I felt sorry for the way his family treated him.

I think his character should’ve exited at least by the time Angela was exposed for cheating on him with Dwight. He needed limited screen time, like with Gabe.

Andy is probably second behind Michael as being the most cringeworthy office mate, but even less endearing.

However unlike Michael, Andy actually had a lot more going for him (family money, Cornell if albeit not as booksmart as his education made him to be, is musically talented, Erin liking him, and he had some general common sense) yet he never realized it and was such a self saboteur. I can sympathize with Michael, as his bad life decisions are a consequence of being terribly stupid yet not malicious, and for Dwight because he has strong convictions and drive in spite of being nuts.

Andy just kind of vacillates from one extreme to another and I never got a real sense of who he is other than being a sad sack.

• Like 2