Type keyword(s) to search

Detective and Mystery Shows

zxy556575
  • Start Topic

Thinking about starting Brokenwood Mysteries, but am I going to have to put up with a lot of PLI relationship angst and/or UST between main characters?

Kinda getting overly tired of the only trope to be found in about every show ever.

3 minutes ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

Thinking about starting Brokenwood Mysteries, but am I going to have to put up with a lot of PLI relationship angst and/or UST between main characters?

Kinda getting overly tired of the only trope to be found in about every show ever.

Haven't watched the newest ones (watching Death in Paradise with my daughter, a newbie, then Brokenwood is next) and I had to look up what PLI is, but no. No PLI or UST between main characters. Or even secondary characters.

• Useful 1
20 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

Haven't watched the newest ones (watching Death in Paradise with my daughter, a newbie, then Brokenwood is next) and I had to look up what PLI is, but no. No PLI or UST between main characters. Or even secondary characters.

Thanks.

2 hours ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

No.  There's a secondary character who shows interest in the main male lead but he doesn't show any interest in her.  And I wish they'd just drop it.  And it's basically just a few sentences here and there since she doesn't usually get a lot of screen time.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Watched the series finale of Keeping Faith last night. This season wasn't as satisfying - so many storylines to maintain and I don't think the writers were successful at doing so. I loved S1 so much, and then S2 wasn't as good but still fantastic. S3 was a good place to end it.

10 hours ago, LisaM said:

I started Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries last night. 

The costumes and set designs alone are enough to make me love that show, plot aside!! 

If you're one who enjoys Australian dramas, I cannot recommend The Doctor Blake Mysteries enough. 

• Love 1
19 hours ago, Bridget said:

If you're one who enjoys Australian dramas, I cannot recommend The Doctor Blake Mysteries enough. 

Agreed! I watched the entire Doctor Blake Mysteries as well as the few episodes when Jean became the lead character. Very well done. 

• Love 2

Has anyone watched Grace on BritBox? Even though the setup doesn't seem to offer anything new ("Haunted by the disappearance of his wife, tenacious yet troubled detective Roy Grace has a reputation for his unorthodox methods in pursuit of the truth"), I was looking forward to it because it stars John Simm but I haven't heard much buzz about it. I don't think the UK TV podcast I listen to even reviewed it. I'll have to wait until July to subscribe again to check it out for myself.

Also curious if anyone's tried the latest Harlan Coben adaptation on Netflix, The Innocent? I started it but within the first 10 minutes or so, the main character gets sentenced to prison for accidentally killing another young man during a brawl, his parents die while he's inside, and then his only sibling dies shortly after he gets out. I gave up because I didn't think I'd be able to keep watching something so grim, but I have heard good things about this show so am wondering if it lets up a bit after that intro.

11 hours ago, krankydoodle said:

Also curious if anyone's tried the latest Harlan Coben adaptation on Netflix, The Innocent? I started it but within the first 10 minutes or so, the main character gets sentenced to prison for accidentally killing another young man during a brawl, his parents die while he's inside, and then his only sibling dies shortly after he gets out. I gave up because I didn't think I'd be able to keep watching something so grim, but I have heard good things about this show so am wondering if it lets up a bit after that intro.

Hilariously, I don't remember any of that from when he was inside jail.  Oh wait, I do remember

Spoiler

when the brother died. 

I've seen different opinions on the series but personally, I think it might have been my favorite adaptation yet.  And I believe I've seen them all.  Even the French one.  And the Polish one. 

Maybe, overall, I prefer The Five because it's more uplifting but I thought the pace of this one was excellent. Every episode starts from the POV of a different character.  The first episode focuses in on Alex. The next episode focuses on a different character.  You flash back a little to see parts of their past or see what they know that other characters might not.  Then it moves into the present and you follow all the characters as the story is told. 

It has some silliness, as do most Corben adaptations, but overall, I think this was very well constructed.  It's perhaps more gritty than other stories.

• Useful 1

I guess the series Grace is based on the Peter James books.  I've read several of them (but not all).  Although there was 1 or 2 I didn't like overall I like the series.  It isn't quite so glum.  The books are set in Brighton.

I've read most of the Harlan Coben books.  I like the ones involving the sports agent the best - the others are hit or miss to be - but so far they haven't adopted any of those for tv.

I'm currently watching The Pact which takes place in Wales.  4 women take their hated boss out to the woods and leave him there drunk - when they return he's dead.  

• Useful 1

Just tried to watch Whitstable Pearl.  I bailed after 30 minutes. Usually I would watch a whole show or two before deciding about a series, but this left me cold. Bad dialogue and non-inspiring characters. 

• Useful 1
10 hours ago, khyber said:

Just tried to watch Whitstable Pearl.  I bailed after 30 minutes. Usually I would watch a whole show or two before deciding about a series, but this left me cold. Bad dialogue and non-inspiring characters. 

I had both episodes on in the background.  It feels very dated and not great.  I was even hoping for good scenery but nope. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

I am finishing up Miss Fisher Murder Mysteries (which I am enjoying so much that I have sought out the Kerry Greenwood novels upon which the show is based). I then plan to start Mare of Easttown  and finish up Money Heist. 

Looking forward to some new Acorn and Britbox shows. 

ETA: Started watching Series 1 of Candice Renoir on Acorn. French police commander who returns to lead a police team 10 years after taking a break to have a family. So far, relatively light and focused on her struggles at home and at work. 

Edited by LisaM

So to be so long in reply but The Pact was on BBC Player.

I'm watching Whitsable Pearl.  I enjoyed the 3rd and 4th episodes more than the first two.  The mysteries are rather good.  I also like the lead character (who I've never seen before) isn't glamorous but rather down to earth.  I could do without the lead male detective who of course is anti-social and suffering from the loss of his wife (can the lead detective ever be happy???)

• Love 2
26 minutes ago, Kemper said:

Is anyone watching "Candice Renoir" on Acorn?

Yes - I binged Season 1 and am eagerly awaiting Season 2. I liked it - the mysteries are relatively light and I really like seeing Candice interacting with her family and with her colleagues. 

1 hour ago, Kemper said:

Is anyone watching "Candice Renoir" on Acorn?

Not yet but I plan to.  It just so happened that when I was about to start it, suddenly streaming services started dropping shows that I actually want to watch.  It's amazing how long I can go with nothing new attracting my attention so I look to see if there are any old shows out there I may have missed and then suddenly there are multiple shows dropping of interest.

I also need to start with Miss Fisher's Modern Mysteries Season 2. I know a lot of people don't like it as much as they like the original series yet for some reason, I connect with it more.  Maybe it's the fashion? 

I just finished the six Crimes of Passion movies.  They're six Swedish movies based on Maria Lang books.  The lead is a woman who loves to solve mysteries.  Her boyfriend/husband is around, as is his best friend who is a police inspector.  I thought the mysteries were good and the shipper in me dug it because she was happily married and yet there was a frisson of something between her and the police inspector as they hard core bonded over solving mysteries.  I just liked that tension while knowing that "they won't" in any will they/won't they scenario.

(edited)

I just finished Mare of Easttown, which I really enjoyed. Lots of twists and red herrings - plus Kate Winslet, Jean Smart and Juliette Nicholson. Highly recommended. 

Am now up to date on Whitsable Pearl. I thought it was just okay and improved as the episodes progressed. I like the lead actress - who I have never seen before - and particularly like the relationship between Pearl and her mother. The show reminded me more of a character study with some mysteries thrown in than a true mystery series. I did like seeing Fleur from Midsomer Murders in the last episode. 

Edited by LisaM
  • Love 1

I am loving Candice Renoir, but I liked Balthazar, too. I have been putting off work and watched all of Whitsable Pearl. I enjoyed it. But I think it is because the lead actress has a layer of sadness below the surface. Kind of excited to be at a friend's home and  having access to Bosch. I only watch it at dog sits since I don't have Prime. 

• Love 1
23 hours ago, Kemper said:

Will the new season of Candice Renoir be released as one episode per week?  I hate that!

All of the Season 2 episodes have dropped. I watched the first one last night. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Some really good news: The Bridge (Bron/Broen) will finally be streaming again in the US. Seasons 1 -4 will be streaming on Topic. Bron/Broen is one of the original Nordic Noir shows and spawned a number of remakes (The Tunnel, for example). It starts streaming in July. 

The Bridge (Bron/Broen)

I also read that Forbrydelsen (the original Nordic Noir and the template for The Killing) will stream on Topic starting in August. 

Edited by LisaM
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

For those watching season 2 Balthazar, does the plot about his wife's murder move anywhere significantly? I find myself only really caring about that. Feel free to place under spoiler tags or to DM me the answer.

• Love 1

I know that there is a separate thread for Unforgotten but for those who do not read it - Season 4 premieres in the US on PBS Masterpiece on Sunday, July 11. One of my favorite shows. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, Kemper said:

Is anyone watching Candice Renoir on Acorn?  I just started watching Season 2.  I love it.

Yes! Just finished Season 2. Very charming and addictive. Eager for Acorn to release additional seasons. 

• Love 2
(edited)
7 hours ago, Kemper said:

Is anyone watching Candice Renoir on Acorn?  I just started watching Season 2.  I love it.

Yes.  I found myself a bit resistant because I think the mannerisms employed by Candice seemed eerily familiar to mannerisms employed by Chloe on Profilage/The Paris Murders but, in the end, I found myself just enjoying the show.

On 7/5/2021 at 10:16 AM, Enigma X said:

For those watching season 2 Balthazar, does the plot about his wife's murder move anywhere significantly? I find myself only really caring about that. Feel free to place under spoiler tags or to DM me the answer.

Balthazar has three seasons up on Acorn.  There will be a fourth.  To answer your question, generically but not specifically

Spoiler

Three seasons have aired.  In those three seasons, there are some red herrings but we do appear to definitively get the answer about his wife's murder.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 2
50 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Yes.  I found myself a bit resistant because I think the mannerisms employed by Candice seemed eerily familiar to mannerisms employed by Chloe on Profilage/The Paris Murders but, in the end, I found myself just enjoying the show.

Balthazar has three seasons up on Acorn.  There will be a fourth.  To answer your question, generically but not specifically

Three seasons have aired.  In those three seasons, there are some red herrings but we do appear to definitively get the answer about his wife's murder.

Thanks. I think I meant the third season.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Interesting observation. Chloe on The Paris Murders always annoyed me. I thought her mannerisms were much more exaggerated than Candice's. Candice has a level of sweetness which I never saw in Chloe. 

• Love 1

It seems, as I am watching Season 2, that the show is hinting at attraction between Candice and Anthony. It could be a major misstep for the series; but I am there for it. Kahndeese. Love the french pronunciation.

• Love 1
On 6/16/2021 at 8:17 PM, LisaM said:

Am now up to date on Whitsable Pearl. I thought it was just okay and improved as the episodes progressed. I like the lead actress - who I have never seen before - and particularly like the relationship between Pearl and her mother. The show reminded me more of a character study with some mysteries thrown in than a true mystery series. I did like seeing Fleur from Midsomer Murders in the last episode. 

I'm not sure how well the show has aged but Kerry Godliman is one of the co-stars in Ricky Gervais' Derek. I found it equal parts awkward, funny, and heartbreaking.

For anyone else keeping track, the last season of Jack Irish will be airing on Acorn starting July 12.

Watching Bron/Broen (The Bridge) on Topic. There is a subscription sale so it is $2.99 for the first 3 months. I had never been able to find this series streaming in the US before. I've seen one of the remakes but always wanted to see the original. 

I liked the English-French version The Tunnel, but love Bron/Broen. For some reason, the 4th season doesn't seem to be available to stream in the US. I don't see it listed on Topic or Amazon and only the first 3 seasons are streaming through my library's Hoopla subscription, so please let me know if you find it somewhere.

I watched Murder on the Blackpool Express and Death on the Tyne on BritBox. These are 90-minute long mystery-comedies focusing on tour bus operators who keep stumbling across murders. I thought they were kind of terrible. That being said, I'll probably also watch the third one Dial M for Middlesbrough because I'm also kind of terrible. For what it's worth, these did well enough that more episodes are being made so what do I know?

• Love 1
9 hours ago, krankydoodle said:

I liked the English-French version The Tunnel, but love Bron/Broen. For some reason, the 4th season doesn't seem to be available to stream in the US. I don't see it listed on Topic or Amazon and only the first 3 seasons are streaming through my library's Hoopla subscription, so please let me know if you find it somewhere.

I believe that Season 4 is going to premiere on Topic on July 29. 

I also liked The Tunnel but found Season 1 of Bron/Broen (which I finished last night) to be a cut above. 

• Useful 1
37 minutes ago, Koalagirl said:

I did too!  Reminds me a lot of the Frankie Drake mystery series!

Those are two of my favorite shows. Waiting impatiently for the last season of Frankie Drake. 

Started Season 2 of Bron/Broen on Topic last night. 

• Love 1

I got around to watching Grace with John Simm, which I thought was just ok, but I finished the first episodes of 2 other crime dramas that are off to excellent starts. They're a lot grittier than what I usually watch and both happen to be about fathers searching for their missing daughters.

I gave Baghdad Central (Hulu) a shot because it stars Corey Stoll and Bertie Carvel, but the whole cast is great, especially lead actor Waleed Zuaiter. It's set in 2003 Iraq where Zuaiter is an ex-cop searching for his daughter, who had been secretly working as a translator for the US-led coalition forces. It's violent and grim but very compelling.

Save Me (Peacock) stars Lennie James (who also created and wrote) as a guy who has a history of petty crime and a teen daughter he hasn't seen in years. When she's lured away from home by someone claiming to be him, he goes looking for her. This also has an impressive cast that includes Suranne Jones and Susan Lynch.

• Love 1
On 7/6/2021 at 8:38 AM, Kemper said:

On 7/6/2021 at 1:02 PM, LisaM said:

Yes! Just finished Season 2. Very charming and addictive. Eager for Acorn to release additional seasons. 

Me three! I don't know what Acorn is, though, I'm not from US. Where I am, we're getting season 8, so I can tell you guys are in for a great ride, especially with Candice and Antoine! The show gets even better with each passing season, I have no complaints.

• Love 1

I started watching Astrid on Amazon Prime. It is a French police drama where the protagonist is Astrid, an autistic genius who works in Criminal Records and has a photographic memory and the ability to make connections between multiple cases. She teams up with a female police commander to solve crimes. It's interesting - not great - but different. 

Update: After watching almost all of Season 1, this show has grown on me. I really enjoy seeing Astrid's autistic support group - something we have not seen on tv. Looking forward to Season 2. 

Edited by LisaM
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

New series for me on Britbox - McDonald and Dodds.  Funny, smart, endearing.  Lead actor played Harold Wilson on the Crown.  Second episode had me giggling out loud a couple of times, and nearly tearing up in a later episode.  Looks like new episodes coming!

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 8/20/2021 at 10:21 PM, SandyToes said:

New series for me on Britbox - McDonald and Dodds. 

I just watched the first epi yesterday, and generally liked it, although

Spoiler

the Evil Entrepreneur talking/manipulating the daughter's wife into killing him/the victim/brother

was thoroughly unbelievable. The acting was pretty good, and I like seeing the hard-bitten big city officer gradually come to respect the old guy. Her accent was so thick, though, that I think I'll watch the others episodes with CC on.

Also, Bath is gorgeous and I'm hoping we see scenes in the baths or the Pump Room.

• Love 3

So I have now watched every available episode of:

• Vera
  • McDonald & Dodds
  • Miss Fisher (the original)
  • DCI Banks
  • Inspector George Gently
  • Line of Duty
  • Endeavour
  • Inspector Morse
  • Inspector Lewis
  • Death in Paradise
  • Father Brown
  • Midsomer Murders
  • Grantchester
  • Marple, Poirot and all related Christie stuff
  • Criminal (UK)
  • A Touch of Frost

I just started on Shakespeare and Hathaway. I could not get into the updated "Miss Fisher" series -- too many improbabilities and plot holes. I've watched a few "Pie in the Sky," but the '80s production values are something of a turn-off.

I'm probably forgetting a few, but are there any other available British shows on either Britbox or Acorn (or any other streaming service) I might be interested in?

Side note: Brenda Blethyn (Vera) has an new sitcom called "Kate and Koji." I watched all of those episodes too. (There's only one season so far.)

Edited by J-Man
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, J-Man said:

So I have now watched every available episode of:

• Vera
  • McDonald & Dodds
  • Miss Fisher (the original)
  • DCI Banks
  • Inspector George Gently
  • Line of Duty
  • Endeavour
  • Inspector Morse
  • Inspector Lewis
  • Death in Paradise
  • Father Brown
  • Midsomer Murders
  • Grantchester
  • Marple, Poirot and all related Christie stuff
  • Criminal (UK)
  • A Touch of Frost

I just started on Shakespeare and Hathaway. I could not get into the updated "Miss Fisher" series -- too many improbabilities and plot holes. I've watched a few "Pie in the Sky," but the '80s production values are something of a turn-off.

I'm probably forgetting a few, but are there any other available British shows on either Britbox or Acorn (or any other streaming service) I might be interested in?

Side note: Brenda Blethyn (Vera) has an new sitcom called "Kate and Koji." I watched all of those episodes too. (There's only one season so far.)

Off the top of my head:

No Offence (Acorn) is my favorite British show. Brokenwood Mysteries (Acorn) is set in New Zealand but is excellent as is Shetland (Britbox). I thought Pembrokeshire Murders (Britbox) was quite good. Unforgotten (PBS Masterpiece on Amazon) is fabulous and there are 4 seasons. Queens of Mystery (Acorn), Loch Ness (Acorn), New Tricks (esp the early seasons) (Britbox), Frankie Drake Mysteries (Amazon) and Murdoch Mysteries (Acorn) are all good. Doc Martin (Acorn) is not a mystery but is very good. 

I'll likely come back and update later. 

Edited by LisaM
  • Love 1