Type keyword(s) to search

The Other Duggars: The Lost Girls and Amy

Message added by Scarlett45

If your post is not PRIMARILY about the Duggars, it will be removed. Please stick to the topic or take it to Small Talk, thank you.

• Start Topic

(edited)

I posted that I think the registry is real, but I've changed my mind. It's way too over the top even for Famy. Isn't it? Really? 

But I did put a $140 RL decanter in my shopping basket. Just in case. 

Edited by BradandJanet
  • Love 7

I was going who needs 20 luncheon plates plus 20 dinner plates, but perhaps she's thinking she'll feed both her family and all the cousins et al on real plates some time. 

• Love 4

A Fiesta Ware gift grab is insane! I have a FW butter dish and candlesticks. My dishes are far more....MODEST! 

I do like their colors. I'd pop with burgundy, but this is actually a good start. Since Famy often looks like Stevie Wonder dressed her, I imagine her artist fiancee had a lot to say about this.

She wants a $60 vanity mirror, y'all! 

The jokes write themselves.

• Love 6

Who the hell spends $75 on a bathroom wastebasket? The bin in my bathroom cost $2 at the local cheap store, because it is a bin, that holds rubbish... gahhhhhh.

Someone who's never had to bust their butt to make a living and views their wedding as a gift grab. In other words, a Duggar.

• Love 12

Sounds like a good Jeopardy question. Call Alex Trebek.

Lulz! I'll take greedy grifters for a thousand, Alex!

I like nice things, but seriously, $75 for a bathroom waste basket is absurd. Even if you use liners, they still tend to get grubby after a while. Plus, it's not like you can't get decent looking ones at a fraction of the cost.

• Love 6

Lulz! I'll take greedy grifters for a thousand, Alex!

I like nice things, but seriously, $75 for a bathroom waste basket is absurd. Even if you use liners, they still tend to get grubby after a while. Plus, it's not like you can't get decent looking ones at a fraction of the cost.

100% right. If you're going to spend big $$ on home furnishings, equipment etc, don't waste it on a bloody wastebasket! Ask for all-cotton towels and bed linens, 100% wool or cotton blankets - things that will still be decent after 100s of washings. Or premium-quality stainless flatware. Not the kind you can bend in half with your own two hands, but a semi-heavy set, the kind that will get you years of use if cared for properly. But I have to remember that even though Amy is nearly 30, she's really not much more mature than her cousins - another 20-something going on 14.

• Love 6

She sort of said she "moved out" a couple of months ago. Now I doubt it was real, but TLC may have filmed it. I guess after that, she pushed Dillon to propose, but the bottom fell out and it was all in limbo. I bet she thought the proposal would change their minds. Oops. 

#giftgrab2015 continues

She sort of said she "moved out" a couple of months ago. Now I doubt it was real, but TLC may have filmed it. I guess after that, she pushed Dillon to propose, but the bottom fell out and it was all in limbo. I bet she thought the proposal would change their minds. Oops. 

#giftgrab2015 continues

I still feel bad Amy's show will never air. It deserved to fail on it's own, without Josh's taint.

I hope Corelle makes decanters. Amy'll need something to go with the Walmart set she'll end up with from the fans.

• Love 4

She moved out of what, and to where?  At one time she had her own apartment.  Regarding the waste basket thing, I pay about $20 each for all of mine.  I can't stand open waste baskets anywhere (& people complaining about pets getting into them is their own damned fault) so I have the step on a lever or push a button kind to open them.  Open rubbish bins anywhere disgusts me. If you put it in a bin, you obviously don't want to see it again.

• Love 1

Amy and her family attend Cross Church and have for years, don't they? I ask because her registry doesn't look that different from mine 25 years ago (I asked for Phalzgraff, not Fiesta ware) and was at a similar department store.

If Deanna has been buying these types of gifts for her friends daughters, or Sunday School

Classes go together to buy a vacuum cleaner, this may be pretty typical. It actually looks more normal to me than the Duggar girls, because you weren't sure who the list was for.

And while I didn't ask for it on my wedding registry, I'll admit I do have a rather expensive receptacle in my master bath. A woe betide the person who throws something nasty in it. That's what the cheap bin in the bedroom is for!

If this is real, Famy's getting married on 9/6, and she's planning on drinking booze out of designer decanters and glasses. #giftgrab2015

If it's fake, someone went to a LOT of trouble! 

http://www.dillards.com/registry/ItemList.do?registryNum=128965431&cm_mmc=Linkshare-_-p2ClxyRrqWQ-_-null-_-null&linkshare=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.registryfinder.com%2Faffiliate

Heavens. I'm a little suspicious given that the store is Dillards, though. Small world : )

• Love 2
(edited)

Who the hell spends $75 on a bathroom wastebasket?

Not Amy (even if this is her registry). It's an order to some other poor idiot who got that $75 at, you know, a job. If somebody wants to spend their own $75 on their own used-tampon-and-floss dump, that's fine with me. But not directing how others should spend their cash.

Sorry. I just hate registries. Or anything that implies gifts, especially certain gifts, are required. I'm one of those who writes NO GIFTS, PLEASE!!! in big letters. Which I realize is equally obnoxious. Also an order about what people should do.

But in this day, who can really afford all this stuff for her? Especially if she's thinking "fans." She doesn't even know these people.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 6

I think wedding gifts for a couple starting out that includes things to begin housekeeping are perfectly appropriate. And Amy is nearly 30 and has lived in a community all her life with active church, family and working ties. She almost certainly has people in her life who will enjoy buying her gifts, as people enjoyed buying mine, and I've enjoyed buying gifts for many over the years.

• Love 2

I just cannot fathom ever asking people to furnish my house with items that expensive. I personally find it disgusting and utterly selfish. We have become so gross. We are offended at everything and want everything to be handed to us with as little effort put in as possible. Bunch of whiny panty wastes.

• Love 7
(edited)

I still feel bad Amy's show will never air. It deserved to fail on it's own, without Josh's taint.

Amy has never had a show.  She's already failed on her own. They did those very few episodes of Amy, her  mom, and Mary off in Nashville as a trial balloon to see if she could carry a series and they failed.  The ratings were bad. 

Edited by Absolom
  • Love 7

Not Amy (even if this is her registry). It's an order to some other poor idiot who got that $75 at, you know, a job. If somebody wants to spend their own $75 on their own used-tampon-and-floss dump, that's fine with me.

if it takes $75 to have piece of mind that her dog doesn't eat that, well it's a valid request to me.
(edited)

if it takes $75 to have piece of mind that her dog doesn't eat that, well it's a valid request to me.

Well, see, I didn't  know about the ravenous, gourmet dog. :  )

I don't care whether her friends and family give her this stuff, I'm just thinking about the implication in her and her fiance's various comments about the wedding that they intend it somehow to be a kind of public event for "fans" who would send her cards "and etc." in return for a handwriting sample. And of course we don't know if this is a registry that she'd ever hope fans would see or actively point out to fans (or even that's it's actually her registry.) If she doesn't intend "fans and followers" to ever see this registry or spend that $75 and it's only a registry for people she actually knows, then I'm not critical of it at all. If she hopes that fans will see it, then I think it's crap, even if she does have a voracious dog.

ETA: I just looked at the trash can in question, and it has absolutely no elements that would fend off the hungry dog. It's just a straight bucket type, with nothing on top, no closures. Its main claim to fame seems to be that it's fancy -- hard to tell but it seems to be glasslike with a sort of Scandinavian-designesque wavy shape to it. Its other claim to fame seems to be that it's the most expensive bathroom trash receptacle on the Dillards website, by quite a margin, too, IIRC. Make of that what you will.

EYATA: Once again, I malign Amy. It's the second most expensive can. There's another one that costs $3.99 more. No other can is nearly as pricey as those two, however.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 3

I think the asking of fans to "send cards, etc." and "contact TLC" was beyond pathetic. But the registry itself looks pretty typical, a few items aside, and the concept of a wedding registry has been around for a LONG time now. My mother might have had one.

• Love 1

I think the asking of fans to "send cards, etc." and "contact TLC" was beyond pathetic. But the registry itself looks pretty typical, a few items aside, and the concept of a wedding registry has been around for a LONG time now. My mother might have had one.

Yep, you're perfectly right about the registry in general. I'm just reacting (over-reacting??) to the potential linking of it with the fans "sending" things issue. ...

That, and the fact that, one of my personal massive neuroses is that I avoid at all costs any situation in which someone would feel obligated to give me a gift. (I realize that this is sick, especially because I want to claim the privilege of giving other people gifts frequently. I love giving stuff, but the thought of receiving stuff makes me want to jump off a cliff. An unfortunate combination of traits, I realize... It's kneejerk, however, like my turtleneck fetish, so my friends and relatives have learned to put up with it, poor things.)  Anyway, that problem preconditions me to get really over-excited if I think someone's suggesting that strangers give them gifts! And, of course, Amy may not be doing that at all.

26 bath towels & 26 hand towels? Maybe it is me, but that seems like an awful of towels. Do they not do laundry?

Grandma likes it better when you just send her a whole truckload every few months. That way she can clear a whole night to do it so she doesn't get it mixed in with her regular loads.

• Love 6

Well. That's a world I'm glad I will never be hip to because I can't imagine asking people to furnish my house just because I got married. I get giving gifts, but its really common to expect others to buy all of your home furnishings?!

• Love 2

In the interest of conducting a fact-based discussion, here's Dillard's description of Amy's chosen receptacle. it's glass, and it's teensy:

Description
From Kassatex, this Vizcaya wastebasket features:

etched glass
    contemporary style
    approx. 6.5 x 9.5"

Imported.

http://www.dillards.com/product/Kassatex-Vizcaya-Wastebasket_301_-1_301_505198222?categoryId=677314&di=04464683_zi_silver&facetCache=pageSize%3D100%26beginIndex%3D0%26orderBy%3D1

(edited)

Well, see, I didn't know about the ravenous, gourmet dog. : )

I don't care whether her friends and family give her this stuff, I'm just thinking about the implication in her and her fiance's various comments about the wedding that they intend it somehow to be a kind of public event for "fans" who would send her cards "and etc." in return for a handwriting sample. And of course we don't know if this is a registry that she'd ever hope fans would see or actively point out to fans (or even that's it's actually her registry.) If she doesn't intend "fans and followers" to ever see this registry or spend that $75 and it's only a registry for people she actually knows, then I'm not critical of it at all. If she hopes that fans will see it, then I think it's crap, even if she does have a voracious dog.

ETA: I just looked at the trash can in question, and it has absolutely no elements that would fend off the hungry dog. It's just a straight bucket type, with nothing on top, no closures. Its main claim to fame seems to be that it's fancy -- hard to tell but it seems to be glasslike with a sort of Scandinavian-designesque wavy shape to it. Its other claim to fame seems to be that it's the most expensive bathroom trash receptacle on the Dillards website, by quite a margin, too, IIRC. Make of that what you will.

EYATA: Once again, I malign Amy. It's the second most expensive can. There's another one that costs $3.99 more. No other can is nearly as pricey as those two, however.

I had a look myself, and wow, I hope this is a fake registry. Its nothing but the best for Amy, a $60 copper ice bucket, 2 $140 Ralph Lauren decanters, 4 comforters totaling over $800, this 5kr9l5.jpg and no ones bought a thing.

And the dog can absolutely get into her bathroom garbage.

Edited by Kokapetl
(edited)

I had a look myself, and wow, I hope this is a fake registry. Its nothing but the best for Amy, a $60 copper ice bucket, 2 $140 Ralph Lauren decanters, 4 comforters totaling over $800, this 5kr9l5.jpg and no ones bought a thing.

And the dog can absolutely get into her bathroom garbage.

Yeah, I really hope it's fake, too. And the fact that it's at "Dillard's" gives me some hope that it is -- somebody could be making a sly reference there. On the other hand, lots and lots of folks have their registries at Dillard's. Time will tell, I suppose.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 1

Amy and her family attend Cross Church and have for years, don't they? I ask because her registry doesn't look that different from mine 25 years ago (I asked for Phalzgraff, not Fiesta ware) and was at a similar department store.

If Deanna has been buying these types of gifts for her friends daughters, or Sunday School

Classes go together to buy a vacuum cleaner, this may be pretty typical. It actually looks more normal to me than the Duggar girls, because you weren't sure who the list was for.

And while I didn't ask for it on my wedding registry, I'll admit I do have a rather expensive receptacle in my master bath. A woe betide the person who throws something nasty in it. That's what the cheap bin in the bedroom is for!

Thank you, GEML, for making me feel less weird. I admit I have a rather expensive bathroom trash receptacle. It's squarish, made-to-look-like-old-glass with a black silhouetted floral and bird pattern on each of the four sides and is trimmed in brass with tiny ball feet. I LOVE it. Saw it in a magazine and hunted it down online until I found it on a Canadian shop site. And I do have a second bin for the yucky/wet/goopy stuff (my bathroom is like two mini-rooms: the "foyer" has the sink/linen closet and the "main room" has the shower/toilet). But. I'm single and have a quite decent income. I can afford to splurge on occasion. And the dogs are not allowed to roam at will upstairs. The kitchen trash is well protected! Dachshunds will always find a way if you give them a little leeway. :-)

• Love 1
(edited)

I think wedding gifts for a couple starting out that includes things to begin housekeeping are perfectly appropriate. And Amy is nearly 30 and has lived in a community all her life with active church, family and working ties. She almost certainly has people in her life who will enjoy buying her gifts, as people enjoyed buying mine, and I've enjoyed buying gifts for many over the years.

I'd buy this line of reasoning IF she'd made the registry private. But she didn't, hence #giftgrab2015. My friend found this with no trouble. She totally meant for her "fans and followers" (what is she, Jesus?) to find this. 

eta: 21 years ago today was my last day at work before I took off for that last week push before my wedding on 8/6. I didn't even know registries existed, and while hubby and I had both been on our own, our stuff was flea market and needed to be upgraded, we figured we'd, oh, DO IT OURSELVES! We got a smattering of gifts, including a bread maker that I never had the courage to use. 

My bathroom waste basket cost about $14.99 from Targhay. My problem is fit. I don't have a pretentious bone in my body, so no way I'd ever consider buying art glass (how low it's sunk) as a  glorified garbage can. 

I'm sorry, but people can show their love in other ways than buying you a $75 garbage can or a Ralph Lauren decanter. My friends and family found many creative ways to show their love that didn't involve material things. And 21 years later, I don't remember the gifts I received (aside from the doomed bread maker), but the warmth of my picnic reception that was made possible by these people. :)

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 4
(edited)

Wedding registries listed on the store site are not private; so I won't get on her for that. 

I have at times gone to the more popular stores looking to see if someone was registered in order to get a gift.

Overall, the registry really doesn't seem that bad.  But the thing is the quantities - who needs 2 decanters?  Who needs 2 ice buckets?  Who registered for 26 hand towels and 26 bath towels??  On typical registries you might get someone with maybe a quantity of 4-6??  Who needs 35 cloth napkins????  Then you go down to the big tickets items

The Ninja kitchen system

The Shark Vacuum and Shark Steamer

a $200 frozen concoction maker - really????

Yes, it's nice to help a newly married couple to set up the household - but you do not need to register for every single household item????

Edited by tobysmom
  • Love 7

I did a search for Famy under Target and Walmart wedding registries  and I got nothing. She doesn't even have a Knot page to look at. I wonder if we have to track down Sierra to find out info on the wedding?

My bathroom waste basket cost about $14.99 from Targhay. My problem is fit. I don't have a pretentious bone in my body, so no way I'd ever consider buying art glass (how low it's sunk) as a  glorified garbage can. 

My favorite thing is that she (if it's indeed she) wants two of them. And she'll need two. Because they are small. Seriously. Three used tissues could fill one up.

• Love 2
Overall, the registry really doesn't seem that bad.  But the thing is the quantities - who needs 2 decanters?  Who needs 2 ice buckets?  Who registered for 26 hand towels and 26 bath towels??  On typical registries you might get someone with maybe a quantity of 4-6??  Who needs 35 cloth napkins????  Then you go down to the big tickets items

The Ninja kitchen system

The Shark Vacuum and Shark Steamer

a $200 frozen concoction maker - really????

Yes, it's nice to help a newly married couple to set up the household - but you do not need to register for every single household item????

What I've been told by people who register for things (being single I've never had the pleasure) is that after the fact, you can get a big discount on item not purchased on your registry (like those big ticket items). So it's basically a way to give it to yourself on sale. Plus you can return duplicates of things and get gift cards to help you buy them. So, they may not be expecting people to actually buy the crazy expensive vacuum, but know they want it and don't want to pay full price. Never thought I'd defend her, but here we are.

Now the quantities of things....that just doesn't make any sense...

• Love 2

It makes a lot of sense to me She is 1/2 a Duggar  Wants to get as good as her cousins got and with the towels and other goods hey I do not have to wash as often. The decanters and other alcohol items throwing in their faces I drink why don't you? 

• Love 1

I think people ask for a lot of towels because you get a lot, one way or another. (If you have a big church wedding.). I did NOT ask for more than two sets of towels and I received tons and tons of them. My question was the opposite - "who thinks we need all these towels??" And if you don't specifically ask for colors, believe me, you will get a, um, cheerful variety of colors.

I'm still using some of those towels 25 years later!

• Love 4

It makes a lot of sense to me She is 1/2 a Duggar Wants to get as good as her cousins got and with the towels and other goods hey I do not have to wash as often. The decanters and other alcohol items throwing in their faces I drink why don't you?

Do people who aren't soap opera characters really use decanters? Can you picture Amy using a decanter?

I bet Amy would've gone for the gamma radiating Fiestaware plates if they were still available. Bright red is her taste.

I totaled up what could be purchased online, $11,500. That's about $16,000 Australian dollars, but Dillards kindly rounded it up for me to about $20,000 Australian dollars.

No one seems to have bought anything from it. "37 days to go!"

• Love 3

I think people ask for a lot of towels because you get a lot, one way or another. (If you have a big church wedding.). I did NOT ask for more than two sets of towels and I received tons and tons of them. My question was the opposite - "who thinks we need all these towels??" And if you don't specifically ask for colors, believe me, you will get a, um, cheerful variety of colors.

I'm still using some of those towels 25 years later!

Those must be some really nice towels!  Mine never last over a few years. 

• Love 4

You get enough, they last. I probably received 20 sets. (My guest list was 400 - my wedding was a lot like Josh and Anna's.) I'm sick to death of some of them, but too cheap to replace them. And we still refer to them as the family who gave them.

Is it normal for fundies to be rebaptized or to continually revise the age that they accepted Jesus? I know that the Catholic and Episcopal churches have infant baptism and then confirmation, but I always thought you were baptized or saved once.  It reminds me of when Josh first said that he was saved at 7 and then, after the molestation scandal broke, said it wasn't until after that that he accepted Jesus into his heart.

It seems then that the Duggars do a form of childhood baptism and then get rebaptized when they have a greater understanding of their religion? 

• Love 2
(edited)

Had they been baptized before?

Remember the river Jordan in Israel? Who knows what went on in homecurch, but I find it nearly impossible any of the kids make it to their teens without being baptized.

I think there were more kids int he river than just this pic:

yardenit.jpg

EDIT: from the duggar family blog : The Duggars then head to the Jordan River, where Jim Bob, Grandma, and eight of the kids are re-baptized. Amy is baptized for the first time and is thrilled to have her Uncle Jim Bob do the honors.

Edited by JoanArc
  • Love 2