Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 33 (2016-2017)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I just caught up on episodes. I ran the Erie Canal category except for Philadelphia and I can't even remember what I thought it was. Reichstag as hilarious in a way that felt so wrong but so funny at the same time. Hated this particular iteration of Before & After. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, ABay said:

Hated this particular iteration of Before & After. 

I did poorly in that category - not sure I got even one right.  But maybe that is partly because it was a new category.  I like when the writers come up with new categories.  I hope they try this new one a couple more times before I decide if I like it or not.

Good game today as Ryan and Tim battled it out.  I think Asim mostly got lucky yesterday because he did not seem very strong today.

• Love 3

So glad Tim won!  Ryan lost me, of course, when he didn't start at the tops of categories.

I doubt the judges would have accepted, "That musical about Carole King!", but that was all I could come up with.  I just could not come up with the title for anything.

I did get colony, non-pareil, anemia, migraine (too familiar with those!), and Manzanar.

FJ was an instaget.

• Love 3
55 minutes ago, Roaster said:

I like when the writers come up with new categories.

I do too and I liked this particular category.  I also like when they bring back a category they haven't used in years, like Unreal Estate which they used this past week - it used to be a staple category back in the Art Fleming days.

This was a pretty good game and I really enjoyed it.

13 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I doubt the judges would have accepted, "That musical about Carole King!", but that was all I could come up with.  I just could not come up with the title for anything.

I knew  that song (and started singing it)  but came up with nothing for an answer.  I can't remember Ryan's GG for that one but that's when he lost me.

My ts's were anemia, migraine, Biloxi Blues and FJ was an instaget.

• Love 4

I was getting annoyed with Asim and just saying all the last names. Is this a stragegy: just say the last name so you don't make a mistake on the first name? It's just annoying Taylor for Elizabeth Taylor etc. He did SO many, it was so annoying when the whole world says Elizabeth Taylor, not Taylor. Would it KILL You to say the first name? It's like they think they are cool. Burton.  

The guy on the end the most interesting story he had about himself was that he once went to 3 different ice cream stores? He seems nerdier than nerdy. I laughed when he rolled his eyes at how stupid the Locusts answer was. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

That's as close as I got, too. I just couldn't recall the nondescript title. 

I did get colony, non-pareil, anemia, migraine (too familiar with those!), and Manzanar.

I kicked myself for not getting colony, and I couldn't quite recall Manzanar (which I always associate with an old TV movie about it), but I got the others. Oh, and I hated that I said bouquet of oysters instead of bed. Duh.

• Love 5
36 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Oh, and I hated that I said bouquet of oysters instead of bed. Duh.

Bouquet of oysters was my favorite answer of the whole game.  If a guy gave you a bouquet of oysters, there'd be absolutely no doubt about what he was expecting from you.

• Love 13
3 hours ago, operalover said:

I was getting annoyed with Asim and just saying all the last names. Is this a stragegy: just say the last name so you don't make a mistake on the first name? It's just annoying Taylor for Elizabeth Taylor etc. He did SO many, it was so annoying when the whole world says Elizabeth Taylor, not Taylor. Would it KILL You to say the first name? It's like they think they are cool. Burton.  

Though I was willing to let 'What is Cumberbatch ?" slide -- it is a pretty unique name.  :)

• Love 6

Geez oh Pete!  Jeopardy! didn't come on until 1:00 am because of a college football game we lost and then a special interviewing every player and their grandmother about how heartbroken they were.  But I had to stay up to watch Asim lose after he lucked out and beat Justin yesterday.  Plus he started his interview with "so" - another reason to root against him.

Congrats to Skinny Ice Cream Lovin' Tim and his gutsy wager at the end.  Ryan lost me by starting in the middle of categories.

I got Jane Fonda and Lily Tomlin, anemia, migraine, Beautiful (why would a Carole King song be in Hamilton or The Miracle Worker?) and Biloxi Blues.

FJ was an instaget.

• Love 7
10 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

Bouquet of oysters was my favorite answer of the whole game.  If a guy gave you a bouquet of oysters, there'd be absolutely no doubt about what he was expecting from you.

Hah! I laughed pretty much throughout the show because of this answer - and I only thought about the smell. Now you've really got me laughing.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 3

I thought Asim was really cute, but a weak contestant, so I didn't expect him to last.  I immediately hated "start in the middle" Ryan.  I'm glad Tim won.  He seems more than geeky, though.  He didn't shake hands with Alex at the end.  I wonder why.  I'll be interested to see him again on Monday.  I had no clue for FJ.

My games are all messed up because of football and some other special they did on that channel.  They showed Jeopardy in the middle of the night, but I know now to tape several time slots because nothing starts and ends when they say it does. Grr.

• Love 1

From a couple of days ago, I got Whoopi right away because I know she has the elusive EGOT. I thought someone would say Ellen but knew she's never won an Academy Award.

I missed yesterday's FJ, which was my first FJ Miss in a king time. Once revealed, I slapped my forehead. I like the twist on Before and After, even though I was terrible in that category. We haven't seen Stuojd Answers in a while, thank goodness. They should do an EGOT category. 

I'm just happy to have regular Jeopardy back.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, teebax said:

From a couple of days ago, I got Whoopi right away because I know she has the elusive EGOT. I thought someone would say Ellen but knew she's never won an Academy Award.

I missed yesterday's FJ, which was my first FJ Miss in a king time. Once revealed, I slapped my forehead. I like the twist on Before and After, even though I was terrible in that category. We haven't seen Stuojd Answers in a while, thank goodness. They should do an EGOT category. 

I'm just happy to have regular Jeopardy back.

I originally discounted Ellen as the answer because I thought she wasn't old enough for the part of the clue about winning a Grammy in the 80s. I was shocked when I went to IMDB and saw she's only a year younger than I am! That girl looks good! Must be all that dancing! But I did get Whoopi. 

• Love 2
On 12/2/2016 at 6:04 PM, operalover said:

Elizabeth Taylor is actually one of the few times he said the full name.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, teebax said:

I like the twist on Before and After, even though I was terrible in that category.

I wasn't paying complete attention at first, so I didn't know what the category name was. I was so confused. I agree it was a clever category. 

• Love 2

Well now I will never get to figure out who Asim reminded me of.  Tim was probably my least favorite of the three contestants, but still okay, so I can live with his win.  And bravo to him for that gutsy FJ bet.

I didn't do very well in the Almost Before & After category - other than Ferry Cross the Mersey Rule - but I thought it was fun anyway.  I did get most of the other stumpers and thought FJ was a gimmee, but I tend to find Loch Ness Monster stuff fascinating and I remember the big deal about that photo being fake.

• Love 2
On ‎12‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 9:04 PM, operalover said:

The guy on the end the most interesting story he had about himself was that he once went to 3 different ice cream stores? He seems nerdier than nerdy. I laughed when he rolled his eyes at how stupid the Locusts answer was. 

Most contestants only say the last name anymore, unless they're told to be more specific.  Bugs the crap out of me that the judges allow it, but it is what it is.

I thought Tim was reacting to not having bet more for what turned out to be an easy DD.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

I didn't do very well in the Almost Before & After category - other than Ferry Cross the Mersey Rule - but I thought it was fun anyway.  

This reminds me--the reason I didn't get that particular B&A is that Mersey, as sung by Gerry & the Pacemakers in "Ferry Cross the Mersey", is pronunced with a Z sound, unlike like the word mercy in Mercy Rule which has an S sound. Unless it's Merzy Rule, in which case, never mind.

• Love 2
Just now, ABay said:

This reminds me--the reason I didn't get that particular B&A is that Mersey, as sung by Gerry & the Pacemakers in "Ferry Cross the Mersey", is pronunced with a Z sound, unlike like the word mercy in Mercy Rule which has an S sound. Unless it's Merzy Rule, in which case, never mind.

I guess that one was more "almost" than the others. ;-)

57 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

You've never heard of the other Cumberbatch actor - Kit Cumberbatch?

Not to be confused with Benedict Carson.

• Love 4

I am shocked that only Tim got FJ!  It was an instaget for me.

Otherwise, I didn't pay much attention to the game after bearded guy at the end started picking clues randomly.  I did laugh when he skipped the $400 clue in favor of the $600, and the DD was under the $400. 

Did anyone else's  TV station air a Jeopardy! promo ad out of order?

• Love 5

It seemed to be a very quiet game but it moved quickly.

My only ts's were Phil Spector and Yasser Arafat.

FJ wasn't an instaget but I got it in enough time to write it down.

• Love 1

How was Arafat a TS? I think that is one of the more surprising TS. There was another TS in the AR category I got right but I forget what it is now. I also got Spector. 

Hermione came to me right away. It's one of those unique names that will always fit into a category list that. 

• Love 3

Congrat to Tim again, but I really liked Yi.  Matthew lost me by jumping around.  I loved that he jumped right over that DD.  Hee!

I got Phil Spector, Van Helsing, justice for all, Yassar Arafat, Elizabeth Arden and James Lovell.  I also knew Fogg's first name was Phileas.

I was beyond clueless on FJ.  One of these years I'm going to read the Harry Potter books I have gathering dust in my Kindle Cloud.

• Love 6

As Alex began reading the FJ clue, I thought the trio was three boys, but it didn't take me long to come up with Hermione after the last part of the clue re the daughter's name.

For TSs, I got country (as in 'duty, honor, country'), Arafat, and Arden. I said Phineas Fogg, so I would have ruled wrong. :( I also got the DD of American Samoa.

I couldn't think of a couple of names. For one I could only picture Phil Spector's frizzed-out hair at his trial, and for the other I said the guy who Tom Hanks played in Apollo 13.

One clue mentioned Camino Real. I've always pronounced that ree-AL, but Alex just said 'real.' Which is correct?

• Love 2
23 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I said Phineas Fogg, so I would have ruled wrong.

I would have got that wrong too.  Maybe I'm imagining this, but I got the impression Alex was waiting to pounce on somebody for saying Phineas, and the contestant robbed him of that pleasure by answering "Who is Fogg?"

• Love 7

I was really surprised that no one got Phil Spector. I thought Wall of Sound made it such a gimme, but I guess that's not as obvious as I thought! 

For the Juneteenth civil war question, I said (out loud) 1965... Good job, brain!

15 minutes ago, Roaster said:

I would have got that wrong too.  Maybe I'm imagining this, but I got the impression Alex was waiting to pounce on somebody for saying Phineas, and the contestant robbed him of that pleasure by answering "Who is Fogg?"

I thought so, too!

• Love 3

One of the contestants from Friday night said he was from Palmer, Alaska and shared of a musk ox farm . I cannot remember if it was Tim or someone who lost . I had a good friend at college who was raised in Palmer (may she Rest In Peace .) J archive has not put that episode up yet . Does anyone remember his name and how he did ? Thanks. 

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, halfpint ingals said:

One of the contestants from Friday night said he was from Palmer, Alaska and shared of a musk ox farm . I cannot remember if it was Tim or someone who lost . I had a good friend at college who was raised in Palmer (may she Rest In Peace .) J archive has not put that episode up yet . Does anyone remember his name and how he did ? Thanks. 

I figured it out from a few different sites. Ryan O'Shea and he came in second behind Tim. 

• Love 1

A friend of mine went to high school with Tim and says he is a really really strange dude. I don't say this to be insensitive to people with autism, just passing on the information that he is definitely on the spectrum, which may explain any strange behaviors. But according to my friend, the dude is very smart and good at quiz bowl so no wonder he is a returning champ!

• Love 1

He seems like a cool nerd. Probably before we were diagnosing everyone on the spectrum he would have been just considered "a poindexter".  There have always been people like this.  Of course there has been a meteoric rise in autism in the past 20 years but there have always been people like our champ who are more comfortable with a book than with people. I like him!

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, operalover said:

He seems like a cool nerd. Probably before we were diagnosing everyone on the spectrum he would have been just considered "a poindexter"

*shrug* I don't know the guy, I'm just passing on the words of someone who does (and knew him 20 years ago pre-"everyone is autistic"). He seems like a good enough guy so far! And of course, being a nice/cool guy and being autistic aren't mutually exclusive, anyway.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Congrat to Tim again, but I really liked Yi.  Matthew lost me by jumping around.  I loved that he jumped right over that DD.  Hee!

I got Phil Spector, Van Helsing, justice for all, Yassar Arafat, Elizabeth Arden and James Lovell.  I also knew Fogg's first name was Phileas.

I was beyond clueless on FJ.  One of these years I'm going to read the Harry Potter books I have gathering dust in my Kindle Cloud.

I didn't get Van Helsing, but did get the rest.  And FJ was a snap for me, but I have read the HP books and seen the movies so that helped.

• Love 2

I ran the Space Race category. I almost didn't get Soyuz, and was just pointing at the copy of Moon Shot sitting next to me on the couch because I'd just finished looking at all the photos again and there is more than one mention of the Soyuz capsule.  But it did come to mind in time.  (Another book I've read on the subject had a photo of Soviet space officials standing next to Vladimir Komarov's actual remains - not a pretty sight.)

• Love 2
7 hours ago, operalover said:

Of course there has been a meteoric rise in autism in the past 20 years but there have always been people like our champ who are more comfortable with a book than with people. I like him!

I'm waaaay more comfortable (and happy) with a book (and animals) than with people. Not on any spectrum. Just smart! ;)

• Love 7

I did not get FJ, and I've read all the Harry Potter books more than once.   I don't see how the clue led to Harry Potter unless you had some idea on the name of the daughter of Helen of Troy, which is the only thing that narrowed it, IMO.  There are many books involving a trio of characters, and many series that have been popular.  And I don't immediately jump to Harry Potter being about a trio of people.  Harry is first rank, Ron and Hermione are second, and lots of people are third, fourth, so on.  

For everyone who immediately got it, did you know Helen's daughter, or did you just decide Harry Potter for some reason, and then narrow it down to the girl in the group?

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, Ailianna said:

I did not get FJ, and I've read all the Harry Potter books more than once.   I don't see how the clue led to Harry Potter unless you had some idea on the name of the daughter of Helen of Troy, which is the only thing that narrowed it, IMO.  There are many books involving a trio of characters, and many series that have been popular.  And I don't immediately jump to Harry Potter being about a trio of people.  Harry is first rank, Ron and Hermione are second, and lots of people are third, fourth, so on.  

For everyone who immediately got it, did you know Helen's daughter, or did you just decide Harry Potter for some reason, and then narrow it down to the girl in the group?

I've never read Harry Potter (although I know basics like the character's names) and I know almost nothing about ancient Greece but I immediately got FJ. Basically what led me to Hermoine was both the "popular book trio" and the notion that the name would be Greek.

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, Ailianna said:

I thought of Harry Potter because it is the most obvious popular children's series that adults are likely to have read, and I knew Hermione was a name from some kind of mythology.

• Love 4

"Popular trio" in the clue made me think of Harry Potter, and from somewhere in the deep recesses of my mind, I have a vague recollection of Hermione being a name from mythology -- I really know next to nothing about mythology and can never remember who's Greek and who's Roman. 

• Love 4

That was some crafty wagering by Tim tonight!  So glad he won again, although I would have been okay with Anuj.  I might have had a chance on FJ if I'd had a clue who the philosopher was.  But at least the category was just "Authors" instead of "Women Authors".

I also never in a million years would have come up with Rock, Paper, Scissors for that DD. 

I did, however, get the missed DD of Ark, and the TS of Sartre, green-eyed monster, whitewash and Antarctica (Adelie = penguins = Antarctica.  I know, they live other places too, but still.)

• Love 3