Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 33 (2016-2017)

Athena
  • Start Topic

47 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I said the Great Depression. To me the photo shows her worry about how her family will survive day-to-day.

I said the Great Depression, too, and I think that's what they were going for.  When Billy answered Dust Bowl, Alex hesitated and then said they'd accept it.  I guess the judges thought since the Dust Bowl happened during the Great Depression, it was close enough.

• Love 5

I can't believe none of them knew Animal House! 

Me, either. And I shouted GIGI at the TV. Then did my usual GIGI...GI-gi...gigi...sigh.

I got King of Hearts, Great Depression, Vacation and Bear. Don't ask me how I got Bear. Probably because I called my granddaughter (Prudence) "PruBear" when she was born, which eventually evolved into Bear (she turned 8 yesterday).

• Love 2
8 hours ago, mojoween said:

I also blurted out Samuel Clemens for some reason and wondered if they would have taken it.  Probably not since that wasn't the name on the literature.

I think they would have accepted it, with Alex doing his pompous routine noting the pen name vs real name.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Abigail was impressive, and seems sweet, but the Statue of Liberty buzzer stance, the dreaded starting in the middle of categories, and her "Can I have complete name of category for X dollars, please" is going to drive me nuts.

Me, too! :/

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

A landscape photographer in the 20s-50s is always Ansel Adams.

That was the other one I was surprised about.  Glad I ran the photographer category - I would have had to turn in my camera otherwise. ;-)

• Love 4

Our new champ holds the signal device in her hand as if it were a detonator.  Boom!              Other than that, she's a delight and I hope she sticks around for an extended amount of time.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, operalover said:

Then another question I answeered Cosimo and Alex said Cosima. But it was a man, no

No, it was a daughter.  Cosima Liszt married the conductor Hans von Bulow, and then left him for Richard Wagner.  Being an opera aficionado, I knew the story and should've gotten this answer correct.  But I didn't.

3 hours ago, Moose135 said:

That was the other one I was surprised about.  Glad I ran the photographer category - I would have had to turn in my camera otherwise. ;-)

I said John Muir, completely forgetting that he was the writer and Ansel Adams was the photographer.  I did get the other photographers, though.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

And she has beautiful penmanship.

Doesn't she? Her signature was awesome, with no exclamation points needed.

I liked Eric, but I like Abigail too, so I'm not sad to see him go. Too bad he couldn't play his final FJ, but he won a couple of games, so he shouldn't feel too bad.

I've ... never seen Animal House. Sorry, everybody.

• Love 4
(edited)

I've actually never seen it either, and was only five when it came out.  The description to me though sounded like that movie from everything I've heard about it over the years.

But I do know that it was over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 4

I know a lot about domes too, Alex.  Those clues weren't rocket surgery.

I am quite surprised that lungs and Byzantine were TS.

I have never heard the phrase "debtless" in my life.

I know nothing about art or artists and that name Alex said could have been in Greek or Italian for as much as it meant anything to me.

Art would absolutely be my Achilles heel on this show.  And the Bible.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Lois Sandborne said:

Doesn't she? Her signature was awesome, with no exclamation points needed.

I liked Eric, but I like Abigail too, so I'm not sad to see him go. Too bad he couldn't play his final FJ, but he won a couple of games, so he shouldn't feel too bad.

I've ... never seen Animal House. Sorry, everybody.

I've never seen it, either...and I'm not at all sorry.

I Got Hockney, but it was purely a guess.

Finally, while I do like Abigail, I think I heard her say "banzai" and not "bonsai"...I expected that to be brought up before the final.  Not a very good game tonight.

• Love 2
On 3/31/2017 at 11:42 PM, The Wild Sow said:

The Great Lakes one I learned is Super Man Helps Every One.

for me it was Some Mothers Help Every One. 

On 4/1/2017 at 9:28 AM, Prevailing Wind said:

King Phillip?  We learned Kids Play Catch Over Farmer Green's Shed.

The advantage of Super Man Helps Every One and whatever it was on J! over HOMES is that the lakes are in order, left-to-right.

Exactly

But whatever the rainbow one was I had never heard. I just go by the visuals/cartoons of rainbows. 

I also got Gigi the other night. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Dismal game.  Lena was the only one I could stand tonight.  She started at the top and I love that her dog has a dog.  Stop starting at the bottom!  I cheered when Jace missed that $5,000 DD.  I got all of the domes, too, Alex.

Of the 486 TS, I only got retractor, Limburger, Byzantine, runners, and cauliflower (missed DD).

I don't know much about art, but I immediately screamed out the correct FJ answer.  Warhol?  Yeah, good old Andy, who was famous for living in NYC (among other things) painted lots of swimming pools.  *face palm*

1 hour ago, mojoween said:

This.  Another example of "close enough so we'll give it to you".

Edited by CarpeDiem54
  • Love 7

I knew FJ - every Hockney picture I've seen has a swimming pool in it. Plus when I was in summer school in London, my teacher was from the same town in England as Hockney and for some reason I've always remembered that. 

• Love 3

Boy, I can really pick 'em.  Rule of thumb:  Bet against anyone whose train I jump onto.

Why did they all seem so unwilling to deduce what they didn't know?  A vegetable with a white head and curds . . . hmm, what could that be?  Andy Warhol would've been a better guess for that clue than for FJ!

Abigail should pop into MOMA, and then she'd know about Hockney.  You move to NYC for a reason.

• Love 2
(edited)

Jace bugged me as soon as he got the DD as the second question in the first round. I'm not sure why you'd jump around like that before anyone has any money. He continued to bug the whole game and I was actively rooting against him. Glad he didn't win.

That was a rough game but at least Alex can stop with the "high average winnings" schtick. Abigail is fine as a winner - she doesn't bug me and seems like a genuinely nice person which is usually all I need.

Edited by burner
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, Kimmmmmm said:

I Got Hockney, but it was purely a guess.

I guessed it, too. I don't know much about him, but I was pretty sure he was British, and 1964 seemed like it fit.

Finally, while I do like Abigail, I think I heard her say "banzai" and not "bonsai"...I expected that to be brought up before the final. 

What's the difference in pronunciation? Sounds the same in my head.

1 hour ago, M. Darcy said:

I knew FJ - every Hockney picture I've seen has a swimming pool in it. 

I didn't know he painted pools. Even though I got it right (lucky, semi-educated guess), I always picture his work as those graphics of people with little lines emanating from them. Who's that artist?

I got lung, cauliflower -- one of many white vegetables *sarcasm* -- retractor... I'm not sure if there was any more. I said tendril instead of runner. I guess that's wrong.

• Love 2
(edited)

Banzai and Bonsai is the same to me, too.  I like Abigail, but doesn't everyone know about Cauliflower? Same with runners on strawberries.  I guess plants are my thing.  Yay that Jace lost.   Those were some crazy low wagers on FJ.  I'm glad it worked out for Abigail.

Edited by SierraMist
  • Love 4
19 minutes ago, SierraMist said:

Banzai and Bonsai is the same to me, too.  I like Abigail, but doesn't everyone know about Cauliflower? Same with runners on strawberries.  I guess plants are my thing.  Yay that Jace lost.   Those were some crazy low wagers on FJ.  I'm glad it worked out for Abigail.

I think the bigger error is that a turnip is the root!

• Love 6
(edited)

Banzai is a cry of good luck, meaning 10,000 years of life, but was also used as a battle cry by kamikaze pilots. Bonsai is the art of cultivating trees in containers.  Feel free to correct me or adjust my explanation, of course!

Edited by Kimmmmmm
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, mojoween said:

I know a lot about domes too, Alex.  Those clues weren't rocket surgery.

I didn't get Wrestlemania, but got the other 4 pretty easily. It helped that 1 clue referred to the Dome in my hometown, and another referred to a dome in the city I live in now. 

I've never heard of debtless either. 

2 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

I knew FJ - every Hockney picture I've seen has a swimming pool in it. Plus when I was in summer school in London, my teacher was from the same town in England as Hockney and for some reason I've always remembered that. 

I knew the pool reference was key, but I still would not have gotten it in a million years.

Jace annoyed me the instant he went DD hunting, which I think was the 2nd clue. So glad Abigail pulled off the win, and I love her green sweater.

Loved Lena's alliterative name and her dog story. I have a similar one with cats. Our 9 year old bossy ginger rescue cat now has her own kitten. It wasn't planned, we were feeding the kitten as she roamed the neighborhood, and around Thanksgiving she finally trusted us enough to be lured into the garage. Once she was declared parasite & disease free and spayed, she moved inside permanently & became ginger kitty's minion, just like the rest of us Toothbrushes.

The only TS I got was cauliflower. I found the clues either incredibly easy (ID Custer from a picture was an $800 clue?), or really difficult.   

• Love 8
54 minutes ago, Toothbrush said:

Loved Lena's alliterative name and her dog story. I have a similar one with cats. Our 9 year old bossy ginger rescue cat now has her own kitten. It wasn't planned, we were feeding the kitten as she roamed the neighborhood, and around Thanksgiving she finally trusted us enough to be lured into the garage. Once she was declared parasite & disease free and spayed, she moved inside permanently & became ginger kitty's minion, just like the rest of us Toothbrushes.

So cute. I really liked Lena (any dog story is going to make me a huge fan) and wish she had a better game.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, Kimmmmmm said:

Banzai is a cry of good luck, meaning 10,000 years of life, but was also used as a battle cry by kamikaze pilots. Bonsai is the art of cultivating trees in containers.  Feel free to correct me or adjust my explanation, of course!

I know the difference, but they basically sound the same to me. Yes, you can pronounce the z and the s distinctively, but they're close enough to pass unnoticed by many ears imo.

• Love 4

Yep it's official. I am going to actively dislike anyone who starts at the bottom of the category. It's just going to have to be a character flaw, and I know there's no "rule" about it but I can't get past it.

I figured Warhol would be too easy (and I knew it was wrong) but the way things have been going with teen level FJ answers it wouldn't have surprised me if he'd have been the correct one. I haven't ever heard of Hockney  :O

There will probably never be a category again where Alex won't have to read the clue with some type of accent.

• Love 8

Bonsai and banzai do not sound the same to me and it's not the s or z that makes the difference - bonsai sounds like bahnzai and banzai sounds like ban-zai.

14 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Of the 486 TS, I only got retractor, Limburger, Byzantine, runners, and cauliflower (missed DD).

I thought there were a lot of ts's! I got retractor, runners, limburger, cauliflower, Mad Anthony Wayne, Bosworth Field. I didn't get Byzantine but I knew it wasn't Ottoman. I had no expectation of getting FJ and I was correct.  I've heard of David Hockney but that's about the extent of it - now I know a little more about him.

Lena made a couple of boneheaded guesses (although I've forgotten what they were) but nothing was as bad as Abigail's answer of turnip instead of cauliflower.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, mojoween said:

I know nothing about art or artists and that name Alex said could have been in Greek or Italian for as much as it meant anything to me.

I dislike modern art, but have seen some of Hockney's paintings - he was really big into depicting swimming pools.  At least his work took a modicum of talent.  Unlike, say, Damien Hirst, the "cut-in-half cow in formaldehyde as art" guy.

14 hours ago, SierraMist said:

I missed cauliflower - curds confused me.  But I got runners, although I was sure there was some technical Latin name for them.

13 hours ago, Kimmmmmm said:

They mean different things, but they sound the same to my ears.  I will accept that this is probably because I've only ever heard Americans saying them, though.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Trey said:

I thought there were a lot of ts's! I got retractor, runners, limburger, cauliflower, Mad Anthony Wayne, Bosworth Field.

Poor Mad Anthony Wayne, he's always a stumper when he's the answer to a Jeopardy clue.  You'd think people would start guessing him for all Revolutionary War clues.

I have to confess: I knew Bosworth Field but could not drag it out of my brain to save my life, and I missed the Battle of Brandywine Creek despite living about a half hour away from the area and having visited the historic battlefield park.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Trey said:

bonsai sounds like bahnzai

That's exactly what I meant when I said they sound the same to me.  This is how Abigail pronounced bonsai and that's how I say it. I guess there's an argument to be made that it should be pronounced like the bon in the french phrase bon appetit, but I have never said it that way. And I think either pronunciation would have been correct.

• Love 2

Good grief that was a painful game!  So many TS, and way way too much board jumping/not starting at the tops of categories.  I'm glad I recorded it, though!

I laughed out loud when Jace guessed ear for a lobectomy.   

I feel certain I've heard of Hockney, but I never in a million years would have been able to pull his name out of my head.

• Love 4

"Mad" general is always "Mad Anthony Wayne". It's part of his name!!!! I've never heard him ever referred to as just "Anthony Wayne". Never heard of debtless either. Didn't know Hockney (our art museum--the Art Institute of Chicago--which we go to at least once a year, seems to only have one painting by him (not currently on display) and it does not have a swimming pool on it, so I never would have guessed him). Lobectomy = lung I thought was easy. My mother also said "tendrils" instead of "runners".

• Love 3

I got Fiji because of a former professor who has been involved in a heritage management project there for awhile.  I can't quite remember the exact details, but I remembered her mentioning discussion of "introduced" people as part of heritage management as Fiji was a site for relocation during the Indian indenture system.

I will admit I said ears at first for lobectomy (I was tired...) in part because of the cosmetic surgery reconstruction procedures for people who stretch their ear lobes.

And just to tease you all who are irked by some of the physical appearance "quirks" of contestants, if I'm ever on the show, I'll make sure to show off my large tattoos, have my stretched lobes visible, and squint at the board because my point of focus is pretty close to my face and it's not easy for me to read at a distance, even with proper contact lenses.  I won't dance though - nobody wants to see that.

• Love 10
46 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Good grief that was a painful game!  So many TS, and way way too much board jumping/not starting at the tops of categories.  I'm glad I recorded it, though!

I laughed out loud when Jace guessed ear for a lobectomy.   

Very painful game, and I was not much better sitting in my living room, to be honest. 

I guessed ear for lobectomy too. My husband is a doctor and just shook his head. 

• Love 3
50 minutes ago, Pallida said:

And just to tease you all who are irked by some of the physical appearance "quirks" of contestants, if I'm ever on the show, I'll make sure to show off my large tattoos, have my stretched lobes visible, and squint at the board because my point of focus is pretty close to my face and it's not easy for me to read at a distance, even with proper contact lenses.  I won't dance though - nobody wants to see that.

If you promise to never board jump or start at the bottom of the categories I will love you! Oh and not go crazy with the clicker ;)

:D

• Love 5

Well, I've decided that in the very unlikely event I try out and am selected to be on the show, I will most certainly start at the bottom and hop all over the board just for sheer pleasure.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Pallida said:

I couldn't care less about appearance and am a squinter from afar too. As long as you don't board hop or interrupt Alex's inane comments ala Matt Jackson and Arthur Chu, we're good.

• Love 6
(edited)
3 hours ago, Pallida said:

I got Fiji because of a former professor who has been involved in a heritage management project there for awhile.  I can't quite remember the exact details, but I remembered her mentioning discussion of "introduced" people as part of heritage management as Fiji was a site for relocation during the Indian indenture system.

I will admit I said ears at first for lobectomy (I was tired...) in part because of the cosmetic surgery reconstruction procedures for people who stretch their ear lobes.

Don't forget to do the upspeak: 

Edited by WhoisMark
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Kimmmmmm said:

Well, I've decided that in the very unlikely event I try out and am selected to be on the show, I will most certainly start at the bottom and hop all over the board just for sheer pleasure.

I luv u, a bushel and a peck...

• Love 1

I call "Foul!" I know it didn't matter but "What is a raptor?" is not a valid response in FJ. They wanted the team. "A raptor" is not a team. "The Raptors" or "the Toronto Raptors" is the name of the team. "Timberwolves" was just plain sad.

• Love 15

Woo!  My wheelhouse!  I had FJ before I finished reading it.

Amy seemed sour, and I'm sure Alex's "maybe she didn't like the categories" probably didn't help.

I understand you might be scared to not know the answer, but why in FJ would you not guard against the second place person betting everything?

• Love 4
(edited)

I didn't know it. I called my son in for this one- I knew he would get it. First he said "Oh the Mastodons!" and I said what team? and he said Ft Wayne, it's a college team. And I told him that they want an NBA team and he said "Oh I know The Raptors!" He is considered moderately mentally disabled so I get a real kick out of it when he gets something that stumps the smarties on this show.

Edited by operalover
  • Love 6

Congrats, Nora, but I was cheering for Amy because she started at the top, didn't say the entire category's name every.freaking.time (I'm looking at you, Abigail, good riddance), rose from the ashes, and is from my city.  Oh, well.

I got sinus and scalp (missed DD).

FJ was an instaget and I don't follow basketball.  I agree that "What is a raptor?" shouldn't have been accepted.  Come on judges, pull your heads out of your Kit Carson asses and be consistent!

• Love 12