Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 33 (2016-2017)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Grant was impressive tonight.  Congrats.  Brendon took swaying to new heights.  Half the time I was afraid he'd run in to Elizabeth.  Elizabeth should have been dinged for her "red and black" answer since she didn't phrase it as a question.

I got promenade, Kiss Me Kate, and Gibson.

It took me a minute, but I thought about songs from 1964 written by a non-English person, came up with "The Girl From Ipanema" which led to a correct FJ answer.

Thanks to everyone for links to those websites to, hopefully, expand my knowledge to answer Jeopardy! clues.

Edited by CarpeDiem54
  • Love 3
18 minutes ago, operalover said:

I guessed Meander and Wander for that one that the answer that was Ramble and Amble. The clue was "first word means walking but can mean talking on and on with no point" and the other word is walking along. I guess meander doesn't have anything to do with talking. I want my $400 Alex!!

I believe the clue also said the words rhymed.  But people can meander when trying to make a point though!

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Me, too!

Thirded. I swear at one point she looked at him as if to say, "why are you in my space?" I don't usually notice the swaying, but he was out of control! It would've been hilarious to see her push him back over.

I got FJ right away, thanks to the Olympics. I agree Gibson should've been the guess after Fender.  I thought Apple was a terrible guess and hit my forehead when he answered with it.

They're either right in my wheelhouse or this has been an easy week. I've been killing it from my living room!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

I believe the clue also said the words rhymed.  But people can meander when trying to make a point though!

I think meander and wander rhyme though...It depends on your accent!

• Love 1
2 hours ago, mojoween said:

If Fender was wrong why would you not ring in with Gibson?

If you don't know much about guitars, I guess that would be the reason. I know very little. I said Stratocaster. Googling, I see that's a type of Fender.

I got Kiss Me Kate, the DD of Dada (hee, deedee of dada), and FJ, though I almost just went with "The Girl From Ipanema" before I reread the clue.

Whenever I hear 'Western Union,' the tune goes thru my head. "Western UnionnnnnNAH nah-nah-nah-nah NAH nah-nah-nah-nah NAH nah-nah-nah-nah NAH nah-nah-nah-nah..."

• Love 7

I have this game: https://hangaroo.en.softonic.com/

You can make your own lists of categories/words.  Among the categories I've made are The Periodic Table, South American countries, SA Capitals, Caribbean (and capitals) Central & North America (and capitals) and Europe (& capitals.) All the Presidents and all the National Parks. (Got all the lists from Wikipedia) And, of course, Warren Zevon albums.  It's amazing how you can learn this stuff by playing this dumb game. The trick is trying to ignore the smartass comments from the kangaroo when you guess a wrong letter.

I think I'm gonna work on Asian countries/capitals next. Or American rivers. Africa is way too daunting.

• Love 4
19 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Guessing Apple for the IBM clue was definitely one of the top 10 most boneheaded guesses ever. 

I also was dumbfounded that they didn't get Gibson, and if you aren't sure of an art style, Dada is always a good guess.

I was stumped for FJ, but feel like I should have known it, since I watched so much of the Olympics last summer.

I hate modern art, so Dada was not in my brain.  I knew FJ, though, because the songwriter's name looked Portuguese, which screamed The Girl From Ipanema to me and thus Rio.

I missed Hershey, which was really dumb because I was eating a Reese's peanut butter Easter egg at the time.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 5
19 hours ago, Browncoat said:

He did not, I don't think, but I believe the song was "The Girl From Ipanema".

My husband plays Jobim's music, and spends hours on Youtube perfecting each one while listening and watching the videos, so I recognized the name, but he had to tell me the song.

34 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I hate modern art, so Dada was not in my brain.  I knew FJ, though, because the songwriter's name looked Portuguese, which screamed The Girl From Ipanema to me and thus Rio.

I missed Hershey, which was really dumb because I was eating a Reese's peanut butter Easter egg at the time.

I never, ever, remember Dada. And now that I know it was picked by random - I can claim that as my reason. Who can remember a random word that has nothing to do with the topic?

• Love 4

Why is it that I never remember from year to year that Jeopardy! is going to be preempted by stupid basketball?  I'm not even sure when it's going to be on -- the website for the channel says 10:30 am (which means I've already missed today's ep), but my satellite guide says sometime in the middle of the night.  And I have no idea if tonight's is tonight's or tomorrows (the satellite guide does not have it listed at 10:30 tomorrow morning).  I guess I'll set the DVR for both times and hope for the best.  And try to remember for next week, too.

Stupid basketball.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

Why is it that I never remember from year to year that Jeopardy! is going to be preempted by stupid basketball?  I'm not even sure when it's going to be on -- the website for the channel says 10:30 am (which means I've already missed today's ep), but my satellite guide says sometime in the middle of the night.  And I have no idea if tonight's is tonight's or tomorrows (the satellite guide does not have it listed at 10:30 tomorrow morning).  I guess I'll set the DVR for both times and hope for the best.  And try to remember for next week, too.

Stupid basketball.

I love college basketball, but I'm lucky because Jeopardy comes on ABC where I live. If it were pre-empted by basketball,  it would irritate me too.

• Love 1
On 3/15/2017 at 5:28 PM, secnarf said:

I have used this site to learn the countries, capitals, US states (have not yet got around to the state capitals) and US presidents. I'd also like to use i to learn the flags. They've got a bunch of different quizzes. Some of them are list-type (e.g. list all the capitals) and others give you a different mix every time you take it (e.g. here are 20 random countries, type in their capitals).

Thanks - I have wasted my entire day on this site! It's a great way to test yourself on geography as well as general knowledge! Oh boy just what a needed, more time to waste time. I just got a 96% on the Middle East!

• Love 4
On 3/15/2017 at 5:28 PM, secnarf said:

I have used this site to learn the countries, capitals, US states (have not yet got around to the state capitals) and US presidents. I'd also like to use i to learn the flags. They've got a bunch of different quizzes. Some of them are list-type (e.g. list all the capitals) and others give you a different mix every time you take it (e.g. here are 20 random countries, type in their capitals).

Glad you linked that site.  I've gotten quite fed up with the pop-up ads on Sporcle.  Nice to have someplace else to get a good quiz fix!

• Love 4

Thank goodness Grant won.  Gretchen drove me nuts just standing there until Alex would prompt her to select a clue.  Plus giggling.  Ugh.

I only got The United Farm Workers (missed DD).

I missed the title of the FJ clue.  I'm not sure if that would have helped me, though.  I had nuthin'.

• Love 4

I liked the sun sign category. I did pretty well most of this show. I guessed Heineken for FJ. Here was my reasoning: Heine must mean 20 in Dutch (its veinte in Spanish so Heine=Veinte )  and Ken must mean Century (Ken=Cen) in Dutch!! Thank you very much! therefore Heine-Ken= 20th century

Edited by operalover
  • Love 6
35 minutes ago, operalover said:

I liked the sun sign category. I did pretty well most of this show. I guessed Heineken for FJ. Here was my reasoning: Heine must mean 20 in Dutch (its veinte in Spanish so Heine=Veinte )  and Ken must mean Century (Ken=Cen) in Dutch!! Thank you very much! therefore Heine-Ken= 20th century

I like the way you think!

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, Miss Chevious said:

I am so bummed. Jeopardy is being pre-empted in our area due to NCAA basketball games. So I may be cut off for a couple of weeks. Ugh. I'll take How Do I Make It Go Away for $200, Alex.

Maybe your station will air Jeopardy at later times, perhaps in the wee hours of the morning. Call and ask!

• Love 1

My station is airing it at 3 AM. I don't have recording capability so I won't see it. The station has a UHF affiliate where they sometimes put pre-empted shows but apparently they can't be bothered. I'll just tell myself that it's celebrities, teens, or teachers (dunno why they make the teachers' clues so easy) so I won't miss it.

• Love 1

I wish I could have figured out FJ. That was doable, but I didn't do it.

I did get African Grey, opal, Less Than Zero, and the DD of United Farm Workers.

Never heard of the streaming show The Art of More. Too much television!

• Love 1

I couldn't think of anything for FJ either. I wondered if there was some historical significance to Sapporo.

The only TS's I got were axiom, Less Than Zero, and United Farm Workers. 

I wouldn't have minded Gretchen as champ. I liked her hobby of collecting celebrity cookbooks, which AT used as an excuse to talk about tourtieres. Steve would have been a fine champ too; he seemed like a lively guy once he got in the game. But I'm enjoying Grant.

• Love 2

I'm so glad Grant won again.  I just took an instant dislike to Gretchen.  I'm also not a fan of people who collect celebrity anything. 

I ran the jewel category.  I had no clue for FJ.  That beer is nowhere near being on my radar.

• Love 3

Also happy Grant won. He stole my heart a bit when he was bopping along to the Final Jeopardy music at the end. Would have never gotten Dos Equis even though it made total sense. Nothing seemed right but I thought of Heineken and Miller High Life as well. Ha!

For those missing the show, I've been checking out this account which has been posting Jeopardy episodes pretty soon after they air. I'm on the West Coast and just watched tonight's episode.

• Love 5
11 hours ago, SierraMist said:

I'm so glad Grant won again.  I just took an instant dislike to Gretchen.  I'm also not a fan of people who collect celebrity anything. 

I ran the jewel category.  I had no clue for FJ.  That beer is nowhere near being on my radar.

I hated Gretchen from the moment I saw her ugly tattoo.  I know it's superficial, but I hate big tattoos.

I got Less Than Zero, but don't think I got any of the other stumpers.  Not that I can remember.  I almost said Opal, but didn't.  And I had no clue on FJ, although I went "duh!" as soon as the answer was revealed.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

I hated Gretchen from the moment I saw her ugly tattoo.

I'm not a big tattoo fan,* but I liked it when I knew she was a librarian. There's a new breed of in-your-face punk librarians that I adore for taking the stodgiest of professions and making it edgy.

All I could think about for FJ was Sapporo and I have no idea why.

*I don't like tattoos, but I'm about to get my first. A word of advice: Don't ever put anything in writing that starts out, "If the Cubs ever win the World Series (haha), I'll....."

Edited by ChicagoCita
  • Love 5

Somehow my non-beer drinking brain managed to come up with Dos Equis. I cannot explain it. It made up for the rest of the game where I really struggled with things that should have been easy. That whole jewel category was a disaster for me and I like shiny jewels! the Labor category too did not go well. I just couldn't get the words out. I liked those categories though and I hope we see more like it so I can get better.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, ChicagoCita said:

I'm not a big tattoo fan,* but I liked it when I knew she was a librarian. There's a new breed of in-your-face punk librarians that I adore for taking the stodgiest of professions and making it edgy.

This amuses me. Back when I got my MLS, we were on the verge of online catalogs - and the group of friends I made it through the program with considered ourselves anything but the stodgy librarians of those days. We were young, snarky, and engaged with the world. And now, we're probably considered those stodgy old librarians. LOL.

• Love 6
49 minutes ago, ChicagoCita said:

That actually makes me hate her more.  Because I've never considered librarian to be a stodgy profession and I hate the description "in-your-face punk librarian".  But hey, to each their own.  (Or chacon a son goute, as Alex would say with an impeccable, over-enunciated French accent.)

• Love 6
2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

That actually makes me hate her more.  Because I've never considered librarian to be a stodgy profession and I hate the description "in-your-face punk librarian".  But hey, to each their own.  (Or chacon a son goute, as Alex would say with an impeccable, over-enunciated French accent.)

Did Gretchen say something about about stodgy librarians? I think I was side tracked during her interview. In any case, though I loved library work, there were indeed some fairly stodgy librarians. On the other hand - librarians are, and have been since before I went to library school, staunch advocates of free speech and against censorship. Nothing stodgy about that, especially these days.

• Love 5
35 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Did Gretchen say something about about stodgy librarians? I think I was side tracked during her interview. In any case, though I loved library work, there were indeed some fairly stodgy librarians. On the other hand - librarians are, and have been since before I went to library school, staunch advocates of free speech and against censorship. Nothing stodgy about that, especially these days.

No, I'm the one who said stodgy, and only meant it as the stereotype. I apologize for my poor phrasing. I am friends with librarians who take a great deal of pride in stomping on that stereotype, doing exactly what you describe. They are open about considering themselves modern freedom fighters and saviors of non-slanted truth. There is, to be honest, a lot of tie-dye, tattoos, and four-letter words involved. My fondness for Gretchen was my projection of her being exactly that kind of librarian.

• Love 5

I understand the (former) champ's FJ answer (confusing Goldman with Golding), but what book was the other loser thinking of ("rabbits and mice")? Watership Down? Of Mice & Men?  I cannot believe "I Left My Heart in San Fransisco" was a TS!!!! You hear "Tony Bennett song" and it immediately comes to mind!

• Love 8

Nobody recognized Mary Pickford.  Boo.

I'm a non-stodgy librarian (sans tattoos) who got my MLS in 1981.  I flunked card catalog filing 3 times.  I smoke (not at work), swear (at work) and listen to Led Zeppelin at my desk.  Gretchen is hardly a rebel librarian.

• Love 10

It kind of bothers me that the book title was accepted when the clue asked for "these two things." I think I blame the clue writers more than the contestant, though. It wouldn't have been that hard for the clue to ask for the book title instead.

Another interesting thing about John Warner is that he, a Republican, endorsed Mark Warner, a Democrat, for the Senate seat he was leaving (and they are not related).

Edited by dcalley
  • Love 7
9 minutes ago, dcalley said:

Another interesting thing about John Warner is that he, a Republican, endorsed Mark Warner, a Democrat, for the Senate seat he was leaving (and they are not related).

But they are both awesome.  It made me sad that Mark was a TS -- he's one of the best, if not the best, Governor Virginia has ever had.  And he's a pretty darn good Senator, too.

It also made me sad that no one knew Mary Pickford, but I wasn't surprised no one knew Pillars of Creation or Touchstone, both of which I got.

It's inconceivable that Grant confused Golding and Goldman!  I kind of get not knowing the author at all (Holly), but it's probably best just not to write anything.  I'm okay with the new champ writing the book's title, because I did, too.  :) 

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

It's inconceivable that Grant confused Golding and Goldman!  I kind of get not knowing the author at all (Holly), but it's probably best just not to write anything.

LOL! I was laughing because I confused them as well! I was trying to figure out what the two subjects were! Kids and breakdown of society? How old were his daughters? Princess Bride never entered into it.

• Love 6

I also got Mary Pickford!  FJ was an instaget for me because I read an article only a week ago about the making of The Princess Bride movie.  One of the daughters wanted a book about Princesses and the other about Brides.  I just also watched the movie for the 20th time.  

I loved that atmosphere science category. I knew none of them- of course- but I feel they have should have more science categories like that and less questions about movies and television.

• Love 6

I cannot believe "I Left My Heart in San Fransisco" was a TS!!!!

I'd add another exclamation point, because yeah… that's pretty crazy. 

William Goldman is my second favorite author and way back in 1990, I went to see him speak at a college. His opening joke was something like, "So how many of you thought you were coming to see the guy who wrote Lord of the Flies?" So I had a feeling that somebody was going to answer with "lords" and "flies," ha ha.

I'll miss Grant, I liked him. 

• Love 10

Whoa, Rebecca!  That was a gutsy FJ wager.  Glad she won.  Poor Grant kinda fizzled out but had a good run and made some nice money.  Holly was dead to me the minute she went straight to the $2,000 clues in DJ.

I got "I Left My Heart in San Francisco" (WTF that no one knew that!), Tulane, University of Georgia, and Mary Pickford.

I was totally clueless for FJ.  I've never read the book or watched the movie.

• Love 9

The Getz/Jobim album cover is burned into my childhood memory so yesterday’s FJ was an instaget. Today I had absolutely no clue. I've never heard of Goldman.

It kind of bothers me that the book title was accepted when the clue asked for "these two things." I think I blame the clue writers more than the contestant, though. It wouldn't have been that hard for the clue to ask for the book title instead.

I think you called it right – Holly & Grant did name 2 things; only Rebecca named the full title.

For TS I only got: I left my heart in SF and Georgia. I've heard Duke referred to as the Harvard of the south but never Tulane, and I have a friend who went there.

• Love 2
29 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I got "I Left My Heart in San Francisco" (WTF that no one knew that!), Tulane, University of Georgia, and Mary Pickford.

Yeah, but did you get "Carpe Noctem"?

My college was an answer--I think that might be a first!

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

It's inconceivable that Grant confused Golding and Goldman!  

Hee.

But I got them confused too. I was sure I was wrong about Lord of the Flies, however, because I really didn't think his daughters would want him to write about a 'lord' and 'flies.'  I just blanked on Goldman. I had read a couple of books by him on Hollywood and screenwriting, but I just couldn't recall what fiction (or screenplays) he had written.

I guessed at Tulane. I also got I Left My Heart... (because who besides the contestants DIDN'T get that), Mary Pickford, and Mark Warner. I had actually said Mark Warner instead of John Warner for the earlier clue.

• Love 1

Add me to the list of people who confused Golding and Goldman. I didn't think 'lord' and 'flies' were right, though, so I settled on kids in charge and camping. Heh. Sad to see Grant go, though.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, PaulaO said:

Nobody recognized Mary Pickford.  Boo.

I'm a non-stodgy librarian (sans tattoos) who got my MLS in 1981.  I flunked card catalog filing 3 times.  I smoke (not at work), swear (at work) and listen to Led Zeppelin at my desk.  Gretchen is hardly a rebel librarian.

Got mine in 1980, but went into a different field due to the lack of jobs where I lived. Loved cataloguing (though probably wouldn't have liked filing cards, they didn't make us do that).

I got Goldman confused with Golding too - and couldn't figure out what two things Lord of the Flies would be about. Never cared much for The Princess Bride (ducks from all the stones being thrown), so Goldman was just a familiar name that didn't mean much to me.

• Love 4