Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 33 (2016-2017)

Athena
  • Start Topic

None of them started their interviews with "so"!  Way better than yesterday, although Viraj was doing some DD hunting.  It tickled me that he didn't get either of them in DJ.  I was sorry neither of the other two answered them correctly, though (who the hell is Perry White?)

FJ was an uber instaget.  Stelllllaaaa!

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

None of them started their interviews with "so"!  Way better than yesterday, although Viraj was doing some DD hunting.  It tickled me that he didn't get either of them in DJ.  I was sorry neither of the other two answered them correctly, though (who the hell is Perry White?)

Perry White is Clark Kent's Editor in Chief--that would make for an interesting twist for the Superman series, that he has a secret identity as a lawyer! 

For FJ, I was stuck on "Not Faulkner, the other one!" I don't think that would be accepted...

• Love 4
10 hours ago, DropTheSoap said:

I liked Lilly. She didn't bother me as it seems she did some here. She was just all business. Seemed fitting for an MIT student.

And there are clearly people who think the Forrest Bounce is best practices, gameplay-wise, which I'm sure is why she did it.

CRAB louie and CRAB cakes. Oy vey. That one hurt.

I liked Vijay and I like that he seems just as sharp as Lilly. I was pretty sure she was going to run away with the whole tournament but now that doesn't seem so likely. I know it's waaaaaay too early for me to be speculating about tournament winners btw.

• Love 3

I'm always suspicious of any contestant who's that much quicker on the buzzer than the others

Really? Why?

Then I guess you were suspicious of the TOC jeptestant who practiced with the cardboard thingy inside a toilet roll. Who was that? Alex? Matt?

I think Lilly can take Vijay.

• Love 1

Given older TV show, lawyer, and "Perry", I can't believe not one of them knew Perry Mason.  It's not just a "before their time thing" wither, since he's such a pop culture figure that he's referenced frequently in other media and people even talk about "Perry Mason moments" when someone suddenly admits they are the one who took the last cookie, or something.  Just amazing.

I didn't mind any of these players, but I was hoping the West Point girl would get FJ right so she would have a chance to move on.

• Love 3

Yes, I was amazed that only one of the three knew [Tennessee] Williams, and sad that the others reached college without reading or seeing A Streetcar Named Desire. That scene of Marlon Brando in the rain bawling "STELLAAA!" is one of those repeatedly-shown clips. I wasn't as shocked that they didn't know Perry Mason, since it was a long time ago and is only available for viewing on "old people" channels. I assume this episode was taped before the death of Barbara Hale.

• Love 4

Yes I think most people knew it was A streetcar named desire, they just didn't know who wrote it. 

I too liked Vijay and his Oprah story. 

My wife wasn't sure if Lilly was a boy or a girl.  I figured she was a girl based on her name, then Alex referred to "her" or "she" or something.  Of course anymore with the transgender societal rule transitions, its hard to tell or say or even knew what you are supposed to say.  Maybe she is transgender, except I suspect we would have heard it in the media if that were the case. 

• Love 1

I have a trans niece. I try very hard to use "she," but her mom insists on calling her "him" and using "his" birth name. Yet she posts all kinds of sappy memes on FB about her beautiful daughter. <shrug>  Niece's driver's license says she's female; I've been told she even got her birth certificate changed to reflect her femaleness. Virginia won't change your driver's license until you can prove you've had the "below the waist" surgery.

Even if Lilly IS trans, she might not be up to announcing it to everyone. People my niece knew when she was a guy know, but anyone new she meets is not told of the transformation. All they know is she's a girly-girl who likes to drive a muscle car. Go figure.

• Love 4
15 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

Really? Why?

Then I guess you were suspicious of the TOC jeptestant who practiced with the cardboard thingy inside a toilet roll. Who was that? Alex? Matt?

It was Alex but it wasn't the cardboard part of the roll it was the metal roll on the toilet paper dispenser because he said it had the same resistance as the buzzer from the auditions.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

My wife wasn't sure if Lilly was a boy or a girl.  I figured she was a girl based on her name, then Alex referred to "her" or "she" or something.  Of course anymore with the transgender societal rule transitions, its hard to tell or say or even knew what you are supposed to say.  Maybe she is transgender, except I suspect we would have heard it in the media if that were the case. 

Maybe she's just a young woman who's comfortable with who she is. why is it anyone else's concern?

• Love 15

Good game tonight!  I didn't want any of them to lose.  However, I thought the "EV"-erything category meant the answers had to start with "ev", meaning "review" was in fact incorrect and Alex-the-contestant shouldn't have been given credit.  But, if it meant that "ev" had to be somewhere in the word, then it's all good. 

As soon as the category for FJ was revealed, I shouted, "Whig!"  Then during the commercials, decided on Know-nothings, but of course returned to Whig when Alex-the-host read the clue.

• Love 2

I call total BS on giving Alex credit for review.  The category was "ev"erything so the word had to start with "ev".  

Youngsters these days must not waste enough time watching cop shows if they don't know what a snitch is.

FJ was a total guess, but I got it.

• Love 4
41 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Good game tonight!  I didn't want any of them to lose.  However, I thought the "EV"-erything category meant the answers had to start with "ev", meaning "review" was in fact incorrect and Alex-the-contestant shouldn't have been given credit.  But, if it meant that "ev" had to be somewhere in the word, then it's all good.

Sometimes the quotation marks just mean the word has to contain the quoted letters though - and Alex didn't specify, he just said "'ev' in quotation marks". So, r"ev"iew would work if 'ev' just had to be in the word rather than at the beginning.

• Love 4

It bugged me that they accepted "What is thunder?" and then "What is lightning?" separately. She didn't know it! And Mari had some other weird wrong answers. I was glad she didn't win.

• Love 6

Literally the only thing I could think of was "Whig" but that came to mind immediately. Good game, not a whole lot to say. If I were the girl in 2nd place, I'd have not wagered anything and taken my chances with a pretty solid score ($18,000) but that's just me.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I call total BS on giving Alex credit for review.  The category was "ev"erything so the word had to start with "ev".  

Youngsters these days must not waste enough time watching cop shows if they don't know what a snitch is.

FJ was a total guess, but I got it.

I am old, so my excuse for not getting it is a senior moment, cause I've watched a lot of cop shows.

57 minutes ago, Fex said:

It bugged me that they accepted "What is thunder?" and then "What is lightning?" separately. She didn't know it! And Mari had some other weird wrong answers. I was glad she didn't win.

Bugged us too.

• Love 2
On 2/14/2017 at 3:43 PM, proserpina65 said:

Plus, I'm always suspicious of any contestant who's that much quicker on the buzzer than the others. 

Lily goes to M.I.T. I wouldn't be surprised if she had a setup to practice buzzing in at just the right time. Actually, I'd be surprised if she didn't.  To be fair, if I do make it on the show (I auditioned back in October), I'll try to perfect my reaction time too.  

• Love 5
On 2/15/2017 at 1:20 AM, Mystery Author said:

Really? Why?

As Mystery Writer posted it was Alex. Some contestants have also used clicky pens. 

On 2/15/2017 at 4:31 AM, Ailianna said:

Given older TV show, lawyer, and "Perry", I can't believe not one of them knew Perry Mason.  It's not just a "before their time thing" wither, since he's such a pop culture figure that he's referenced frequently in other media and people even talk about "Perry Mason moments" when someone suddenly admits they are the one who took the last cookie, or something.  Just amazing.

I didn't mind any of these players, but I was hoping the West Point girl would get FJ right so she would have a chance to move on.

There was a Perry Mason moment when I served on a jury. It was surreal, and I swear I looked for the TV cameras! 

On 2/15/2017 at 4:37 AM, tvaddict44 said:

Finally - can't they do something about contestants that call for the next question before being told if they're right or not? and jumping in with another choice when Alex is ready to go to commercial?

I love it when they do this and are wrong lol!  Doesn't happen too often though. 

• Love 1
13 hours ago, DropTheSoap said:

Maybe she's just a young woman who's comfortable with who she is. why is it anyone else's concern?

Doesn't really "concern" me, just curious and with the transgender issues you here more and more about anymore, its just more like to be brought up and thought of when potential situations arise. 

6 hours ago, DrScottie said:

Lily goes to M.I.T. I wouldn't be surprised if she had a setup to practice buzzing in at just the right time. Actually, I'd be surprised if she didn't.  To be fair, if I do make it on the show (I auditioned back in October), I'll try to perfect my reaction time too.  

How would you practice that though?  You can try to but practicing "buzzing" after the question is fully completed, but not sure how much good it would do unless you have the exact, or near exact, system they use on the show.  I think it would be a hard think to duplicate to a near enough degree to make it worthwhile

• Love 1

There was really only like five possible potential answers for the final jeopardy topic from last night, assuming they would not go for the obvious democrat or republican, unless they go to obscure 3rd parties.  Even if you had no idea, there is a good chance you get it,

Whig, bull moose (would be obvious with something about TR), democratic republican, know nothings.  I suppose they could say libertarian or Green party.  That's just without knowing the question.  Based on the time period in question where were really on a few options. 

• Love 1
13 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I'm definitely not a youngster, and I know what a snitch is.  It was the first definition that threw me, I only know a snitch to be a rat, not also defined as stealing something.  

• Love 4
1 hour ago, sugarbaker design said:

I'm definitely not a youngster, and I know what a snitch is.  It was the first definition that threw me, I only know a snitch to be a rat, not also defined as stealing something.  

Same here. The first definition said "snatch" to me, not "snitch" - but then lately all the shows talk about their snitches as CIs (confidential informants), so that stymied me as well.

• Love 1

I'd think stealing something would be "snatch."

Didn't see the show - had another damn condo meeting.

Re buzzer practice: Wasn't there a contestant who used his index finger instead of his thumb because, he said, the index finger is much faster with all that "mouse" usage.  I'd probably "double click" and lock myself out.

• Love 3

Buzzing in correctly is half the battle. Chances are all thee contestants know the correct answer (most of the time anyway) so buzzing in at just the right nanosecond after Alex finishes the clue and before your fellow contestants is crucial to be successful. How many times have we seen someone hitting that buzzer with all their might but are unable to ring in because they've already been locked out. Practice helps but it's no substitute for the real thing.

• Love 4
On ‎02‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 2:20 AM, Mystery Author said:

Really? Why?

It's just a personal hang up of mine.  I don't generally like people who seem to always ring in first.  And also tend to hate jumping around the board, although I adored Chuck Forrest who invented it.  I'm illogical that way.

I missed quarterfinal #2, so I have no reason to hate whoever won that one.  Yet.

I enjoyed last night's game, and liked the guy who won.  Probably partly because of the cute beaver on his sweatshirt.

I got Whig, because it's one of the few now defunct American political parties I know.

As Mystery Writer posted it was Alex. Some contestants have also used clicky pens. 

That's what I used, for all the good it did me.  FTR, I didn't like Alex during his original run, but rooted for him to beat the pants off Matt, whom I loathed.

Edited by proserpina65
Who? Whom? Sometimes I'm not sure which is right
  • Love 1

I didn't get snitch and I'm old.  Ish.  Bob Harris (?) (who wrote Prisoner of Trebekistan) rigged up a practice device with a pen taped to something then wrapped in duct tape.  I have no problems with that.

I thought I was the only person who disliked winners, although I did like Alex yesterday. A physics major!  Maybe he can be in CalTech's Physics Bowl.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, burner said:

All this talk about buzzers and buzzing in. Can someone explain how that works? So you have to wait for the question to be read completely? And you get locked out if you buzz in too early?

Yes to both questions.  There are lights around the outside of the category board and contestants who ring in before the lights go on (I think it's on, but it's been a few years) will be locked out and can't buzz in again until someone else has answered.

• Love 2

I couldn't believe FJ was that easy - instaget, then I spent the rest of the time running through all of the other capitals to see if any of them could possibly fit because otherwise it's a kids tournament level question.

I was also surprised Stalingrad was a TS.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, secnarf said:

I couldn't believe FJ was that easy - instaget, then I spent the rest of the time running through all of the other capitals to see if any of them could possibly fit because otherwise it's a kids tournament level question.

The only issue is if you thought the capital of Brazil was Rio de Janeiro or Sao Paulo. The Rio Olympics were fairly recent. 

• Love 2

I thought FJ was so easy, that I must have the wrong answer because I suck at capitals and geography. Plus adding "ia" didn't strike me as "Latinized" though it may well be (yeah, didn't take Latin either - though as an English major, I certainly learned to recognize the Latin roots of many words, along with Greek, etc.)

When Cory lost the points, the wind went out of his sails. Though he still did pretty well, you could tell by his voice that he'd lost his mental game. Though I didn't care for him much, I do hate to see that happen.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I thought FJ was so easy, that I must have the wrong answer because I suck at capitals and geography. Plus adding "ia" didn't strike me as "Latinized" though it may well be (yeah, didn't take Latin either - though as an English major, I certainly learned to recognize the Latin roots of many words, along with Greek, etc.)

Britannia, Germania, Italia, and Hispania are some examples that fit the pattern.  

• Love 2