Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 33 (2016-2017)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I missed FJ! I was watching the whole show and Mr. Chevious grabbed the remote & did some channel surfing during the commercial break beforehand. When he switched back, Alex was talking with all three of them in front of the podiums. What the heck happened? Someone fill me in please!

• Love 1

Congratulations, Sharath!  Good game.  I love that Alec lost (if you can call getting 50 grand losing) by $1.  So glad Michael came in third.

I was screaming Eiffel at Sharath during that DD.  I'm surprised no one knew Doc Martins or clipping.  They all impressed me that they're such nerds they don't know much about pop culture or other goofy stuff most teenagers would be into (like South Park).

FJ was an instaget.

16 minutes ago, Miss Chevious said:

I missed FJ! I was watching the whole show and Mr. Chevious grabbed the remote & did some channel surfing during the commercial break beforehand. When he switched back, Alex was talking with all three of them in front of the podiums. What the heck happened? Someone fill me in please!

The question was about "this document was based on mutinous speeches of the passengers" (I'm paraphrasing).  The answer was The Mayflower Compact and they all got it.

Michael had $14,200, Sharath had $39,701and Alec had $39,700 two day total at the end.

• Love 6
9 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Thanks, @CarpeDiem54!  I'm not sorry I wasn't able to watch, though I would have liked to have seen Michael's and Alec's heads explode when they lost.

Are we back to regular games tomorrow, or is it another tourney?

Alec was quite nice.  Michael was a sourpuss.

My TV listing says it's regular games the rest of the week.

56 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Alec was quite nice.  Michael was a sourpuss.

I'd say vice versa. Alec's head exploded when he lost. It took him a while to smile.

I got Boston Terrier and clipping. I just couldn't come up with primitive. It was on the tip of my tongue.

• Love 3
21 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I'd say vice versa. Alec's head exploded when he lost. It took him a while to smile.

I got Boston Terrier and clipping. I just couldn't come up with primitive. It was on the tip of my tongue.

Yes, for some reason, Alec misfigured/misadded/boobooed big and thought he was going to win, judging by his reaction at the end.   Michael knew he had met his end when he lost everything the first day, and bowed out fairly graciously, imo.

Edited by gimmeegimmeegim
  • Love 4

There was very little chance that Alec could win.  Not sure why he seemed so surprised.  He bet everything and doubled his score.  But as long as Sharath got FJ right (which he did) and as long as he wagered at least $901 (which he did) Alec would still lose by $1.

• Love 6
On 11/21/2016 at 8:00 PM, Grundoon59 said:

I also admit I knew not a single answer in the game category and felt old so I do admire how much the young men know.

I knew every revealed clues in the video game category and I'm a good 20 years older than those kids.  I've noticed J! has had a few video game categories in past couple of years.  Probably a sign that a lot of gamers are now in their 30s and 40s.

This tournament was pretty enjoyable.  Nice wagering on the champ's part.  It seems like so many people bungle the math or wager strangely and end up losing.

• Love 1

Can anyone explain to this old lady what was so uproariously funny about the question on "the opposite of skinny jeans"? 

The only thing I can think of is that the audience thought it was funny that three teenage boys got a question that probably only a woman or girl would know.  Not that I think that's true but that's probably what the audience thought.  But it was a annoying audience. 

• Love 5

Also, no one wanted to say "fat jeans"?

I liked this tournament for how my opinion of the contestants shifted so much throughout! I was against Michael from the start, but thought he took his loss really well, starting on the first day of the final. I liked Alec until you could visibly see him getting more and more full of himself as the thing went on. I hope he gets over the loss -- maybe Michael can give him some tips? But anyway, so glad for Sharath who is adorable and smart and didn't seem so full of himself!

• Love 5

I enjoyed the final far more than I thought I would - I think it started in the first night interview when Sharath admitted he had just finished reading Lord of the Flies which helped him win his semi-final.  I agree Michael took his loss well and that Alec was getting a little too cocky approaching FJ but if I were a teenager facing the possibility of winning $100K, I have no clue how I would act (heck as an almost 57 year old, I might act like an idiot).  I am stunned by Sharath's math skills in a pressure cooker - to calculate that bet to the $ by remembering the first day totals just amazes me.  All in all, I am glad we are back to grown-ups but what a finish. 

• Love 2

I am stunned by Sharath's math skills in a pressure cooker - to calculate that bet to the $ by remembering the first day totals just amazes me.  All in all, I am glad we are back to grown-ups but what a finish. 

He didn't have to remember it, previous day totals are posted off-screen, only math was required.

• Love 4

All I could think of was "dad jeans."  (Thanks, President Obama, for your mom jeans.)  I guess it's been too long since I've had a boyfriend.

I Googled Alec (whose name I just misspelled again and now corrected), and he doesn't go to my high school, so I don't have to feel like a traitor for not rooting for him.  But seriously, kid, did you really think you might win even after seeing that very precise wager and knowing what the totals from the previous game were?  A bit drama-queenish reaction to what seemed like a foregone conclusion once Sharath came up with the right answer.

Edited by Mondrianyone
Misspelling recidivism
  • Love 3
On 11/22/2016 at 6:20 PM, Miss Chevious said:

OMG. Reason number 3,456,331 I'm not married. My marriage wouldn't survive my spouse channel surfing and making me miss FJ!

Seriously, that was a good finish to the tournament.

Edited by teebax
  • Love 4

No eidetic memory or advanced calculus involved on the champ's part - just simple arithmetic.  They have around 10-15 minutes from the end DJ round and beginning of FJ while the producers watch the DJ round on tape to check for errors.  So there's plenty of time to add yesterday's totals to today's potential total and ADD 1.

Edited by HansMoleman742
  • Love 3

I'm sure right now (and, really then when it happened) he probably it was the worst thing to ever happen to him. A little math cost him $100,000 but he's such a smart kid I'm sure he'll be just fine later in life. I could only wish to be a quarter as smart as these boys. That said, that was a great & shocking ending. I couldn't believe it.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

I'm sure right now (and, really then when it happened) he probably it was the worst thing to ever happen to him. A little math cost him $100,000 but he's such a smart kid I'm sure he'll be just fine later in life. I could only wish to be a quarter as smart as these boys. That said, that was a great & shocking ending. I couldn't believe it.

It wasn't "a little math" that cost him. He bet everything he had, he just didn't have enough to beat Sharath. No amount of math would have saved Alec, but Sharath could have messed up his math and lost because of that.

Not sure I understand why people are making such a big deal of the math, though - it's the same thing they do in every tournament with a two-day final. No exceptional math was required. With the skill these kids showed throughout the tournament, I would hope they are capable of basic arithmetic.

• Love 13

I don't get what the issue is either.  As long as Sharath got the right answer and didn't do anything psychotic or go all Cliff Clavin in the wagering department, he had a lock on winning, based on their relative totals from the first and second games.  The only one in that studio who was shocked was Alec, so I'm guessing arithmetic isn't one of his stronger subjects.  Sharath bet the minimum he needed to bet in order to win.  I expected exactly the outcome that we saw.

• Love 6

For anyone who is wondering who Lester B. Pearson was, besides a Nobel Peace prize winner, he was prime minister of Canada from April 1963 to April 1968.

Instaget FJ.  Who else could it have been?  Not Major John Andre, because he was hung as a spy by the Continental Army.

For me, the jury is still out on the new champion; I'll have to see him in another game before I decide.

I know I got some ts's but I couldn't write them down because I was using my exercycle.

• Love 3

I got oleander and the missed DD of Enterprise.  I would have thought that Gene Roddenberry and the Enterprise were part of common cultural knowledge, even if you aren't into sci-fi.  Kind of like knowing Aida is set in Egypt.

FJ was an instaget for me, too.

Edited by Browncoat
  • Love 5

Sad nobody knew Lester Pearson is Canadian. I also got oleander, and Enterprise.

That John Smith answer made me laugh though - no way really to make that 'more specific', but it's hardly any better than just answering "Smith".

I did think Andrew should have got the credit for his 'cooks in the kitchen' answer, though - I missed parts of the second half, did they change that?

1 minute ago, secnarf said:

I did think Andrew should have got the credit for his 'cooks in the kitchen' answer, though - I missed parts of the second half, did they change that?

No, they didn't change it. And I don't agree he should have been credited for it.  The phrase is "too many cooks spoil the broth".

• Love 5

I hate that they don't require full names in answers.  Arnold?  Tom Arnold?  Arnold Schwarzenegger?  Kit Arnold?  Arnold Carson?  I know, I know, but it's annoying.

I was screaming Enterprise.  That was a gimme with the mention of Gene Roddenberry.

FJ was an instaget.

• Love 9
17 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I hate that they don't require full names in answers.  Arnold?  Tom Arnold?  Arnold Schwarzenegger?  Kit Arnold?  Arnold Carson?  I know, I know, but it's annoying.

I was screaming Enterprise.  That was a gimme with the mention of Gene Roddenberry.

FJ really did demand a first name and a last name -- the champ could have meant Arnold the pig from 'Green Acres' for all we knew.

Enterprise was a surprising TS.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Trey said:

No, they didn't change it. And I don't agree he should have been credited for it.  The phrase is "too many cooks spoil the broth".

Especially since the clue referred to them all making vichyssoise.  I think that made the part about spoiling the broth essential.

I'm on pie duty for tomorrow.  I wouldn't mind an extra cook in my kitchen right now.  Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Trey said:

I've only ever heard it as "too many cooks spoil the soup." I wonder if it's a regional thing? And I wonder if "soup" would have been dinged.

Edited by ClareWalks
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Trey said:

I've never heard that phrase, the one I've always heard is 'too many cooks in the kitchen'.

The inclusion of broth in the clue would point you towards the broth one if you're trying to choose between the two, but that doesn't make the other one incorrect - there's nothing about the clue or category that makes it wrong, it just wasn't the answer the writers intended - that happens not infrequently.

• Love 1

"Too many cooks spoil the broth" is a familiar phrase to me. I think "soup" would have been accepted.

2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I got oleander and the missed DD of Enterprise. 

I got those too.

It's funny that just today I was explaining to my sister about "Exterminate" and Dalaks, and then there's a clue about it! 

• Love 4

I've never heard that phrase, the one I've always heard is 'too many cooks in the kitchen'.

Same here. I thought the vichyssoise part of the clue was so specific it had to mean something but it's not a broth. I've only had it as a thick soup.

This bugs me too, and I also don't like how the previous champ got a couple of guesses at Prozac Nation. I don't recall people getting multiple guesses as long as they fall within the time limit; is that something special for DDs?

• Love 3
8 hours ago, teebax said:

OMG. Reading number 3,456,331 I'm not married. My marriage wouldn't survive my spouse channel surfing and making me miss FJ!

Seriously, that was a good finish to the tournament.

Don't worry. He's never done that before during Jeopardy and he's never going to do that again. Never.

• Love 9
11 hours ago, YoureSoUrban said:

This bugs me too, and I also don't like how the previous champ got a couple of guesses at Prozac Nation. I don't recall people getting multiple guesses as long as they fall within the time limit; is that something special for DDs?

Seems like the show gives contestants more leeway when answering DDs. I guess Alex could have immediately said "No," when she just said "What is Prozac." It seems it's up to his discretion.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, YoureSoUrban said:

Seems like the show gives contestants more leeway when answering DDs. I guess Alex could have immediately said "No," when she just said "What is Prozac." It seems it's up to his discretion.

• Love 1

Deleted post--just occurred to me that yesterday ("Prozac Nation") wasn't the teen tournament, so my response was incorrect.

Edited by illdoc
Got confused on days
  • Love 1
13 minutes ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

The FJ answer is turkeys.  On Thanksgiving.  In a Food History category.  Wow !!  That wasn't even challenging.

And yet my mind went to pheasants. 

Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah has been my earworm since he died last week and I finally got it out but now it's back. Thanks, Jeopardy! 

Andrew has no particular failings but I can't say I've taken to him.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Trey said:

And yet my mind went to pheasants. 

Andrew has no particular failings but I can't say I've taken to him.

Of course pheasants!! Turkeys are NO peacocks. And besides, a huge, DUH!

Ditto on Andrew.

• Love 2
On 11/23/2016 at 11:25 PM, Miss Chevious said:

Don't worry. He's never done that before during Jeopardy and he's never going to do that again. Never.

He can't help it.  It's a major difference between men and women.  Women want to know what's on, men want to know what else is on.

• Love 3

Thank goodness Jeopardy! was on between football games yesterday so I got to watch it at my friend's house.  Unfortunately, between everyone yelling and arguing over clues and laughing over friend's son in law deciding Andrew was an alien (and telling the story of how he came to conquer Earth and got on Jeopardy! instead) I missed half of what was going on.

I screamed out turkey immediately for FJ and everyone stared at me in amazement and declared me a genius.  Really?  Those people had had to much to drink!  LOL.

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!

• Love 6

Had you been able to pay better attention, you likely would have been as astonished as I was when the woman guessed Fankfort as the capital of Ohio. There was even a map with a star in Ohio indicating which city they wanted. I'm still rolling my eyes over that one.

• Love 3