Type keyword(s) to search

Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency (2016) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

17 hours ago, sjohnson said:

Bob before he had his mind blasted by Susie didn't seem to have much ability to help. It was one thing for Hobbs to not have been blasted but put into a quarry. But it's a different kind of far fetched to think Bob the Blob would know. Was he primed to mislead Farah and Tina into a trap? But why would the Mage care about them, rather than Panto?

It's possible he is still in there somewhere. He may have overheard a conversation between Suzie and the Mage or during on of their monologues.

I love how fast Ken has basically taken over control of Blackwing right under Friedkin's nose.

• Love 4

Dirk got called a hoopy frood y’all. I don’t think it had the same meaning as in Hitchhiker- but still...

In other news, I’m glad they got the Bergsberg and Blackwing stories (kinda) moving again this week, and it’s a relief to see Todd and Amanda finally slap out their issues.  And, Rowdy Three to the rescue, with Dirk and Beast!

The only complaints I have are that Dirk’s speech at the end made the opening flashback to the Cardenas deaths feel unnecessary. Having him talk us through the whole deal felt sufficient, and I would’ve rather had that time used for something else. Also, I couldn’t figure out what point Ken was trying to make about the squeeze doll - the video was really hard to make out.

• Love 2

I love Dirk explaining everything and then going "Did it!  That's my thing now.  Did it!" and then Todd is all "But what about Suzie Boreton?" and Dirk is just like "Well, I don't know.  Ask me about the one thing I don't know."  hahahaha

I love this show so much!  And now it totally makes sense why all the weapons are scissors since the boy saw his father killed by a pair of scissors!  Clever!!

• Love 6
12 minutes ago, Adira said:

And now it totally makes sense why all the weapons are scissors since the boy saw his father killed by a pair of scissors!  Clever!!

This is one of the many things I love about this show, watching all the pieces fall into place. This was a marked improvement over last ep because it was so much fun. I didn't realize how much I missed the Rowdy Three until they came back. Loved the rescue. Loved Farrah and Tina being cops. Can't wait to find out where Bart and Panto went. Love Ken taking over ever so subtlety. Though I hope he doesn't become a bad guy. I love Ken. I don't want him leading up some shady govt organization hell bent on trapping Dirk and his kind.

• Love 4

I like Ken but he did start out as a shady hacker working for super shady guys. I don't think it would be too much of a stretch for him to run a shady govt organisation but he does seem to realise that the people with powers need to be out in the world.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Chyromaniac said:

Dirk got called a hoopy frood y’all. I don’t think it had the same meaning as in Hitchhiker- but still...

In other news, I’m glad they got the Bergsberg and Blackwing stories (kinda) moving again this week, and it’s a relief to see Todd and Amanda finally slap out their issues.  And, Rowdy Three to the rescue, with Dirk and Beast!

The only complaints I have are that Dirk’s speech at the end made the opening flashback to the Cardenas deaths feel unnecessary. Having him talk us through the whole deal felt sufficient, and I would’ve rather had that time used for something else. Also, I couldn’t figure out what point Ken was trying to make about the squeeze doll - the video was really hard to make out.

It felt good to watch Todd slap Amanda because I felt she deserved it. One episode I want to stay in Wendimoor and the next episode I want to leave Wendimoor.

The scissor death scene looked fake, or maybe I am just hoping that it is harder to drive a pair of scissors into a person's skull and kill them.

Ken said the eye color of the doll changed when Friedkin squeezed it. We were watching them watch a tiny eye of tiny doll on a tiny screen from a video tape. I didn't see any difference and I don't think you were supposed to either. I think it was just there to show how much better Ken is at the job than Friedkin. I laughed when Friedkin took off his jacket and Ken put it on.

1 hour ago, AnimeMania said:

I laughed when Friedkin took off his jacket and Ken put it on.

I actually think Ken had his own jacket.  I had the same exact thought when Ken was putting on the jacket - "Wait a second, did he just take Friedkin's jacket??" but you could see Friedkin's jacket still on the table in the background where he left it.

1 hour ago, snowwhyte said:

I like Ken but he did start out as a shady hacker working for super shady guys. I don't think it would be too much of a stretch for him to run a shady govt organisation but he does seem to realise that the people with powers need to be out in the world.

It also makes sense if you think about how Bart basically kidnapped him and dragged him around with her!  Yeah, maybe they were kind of bonding, but it also might have been a bit of Stockholm Syndrome.  Then because of Bart, Ken gets taken by Blackwing.  He might not be feeling too kindly about the Blackwing subjects because of everything that's happened to him because of them!

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Adira said:

He might not be feeling too kindly about the Blackwing subjects because of everything that's happened to him because of them!

It might also be possible that Ken is not feeling too kindly about Friedkin and Blackwing, since he can now sympathize with what it is like to be a Blackwing test subject. He might destory it from within.

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

It might also be possible that Ken is not feeling too kindly about Friedkin and Blackwing, since he can now sympathize with what it is like to be a Blackwing test subject. He might destory it from within.

Totally possible!!  It'll be interesting to see what he eventually does!

Just checking in to say that I just LOVED this latest episode.  I laughed a lot.  I love the bad-ass Rowdy 4.  I love Dirk figuring stuff out.  I love Farrah figuring stuff out (and Tina coping as best she can.)  I loved the brother-sister confrontation/slap-fest.  The show redeemed itself for me after the "blood-bath on the bridge" in the last episode.  That REALLY turned me off.

I'm having a good time but I cannot recall who "Mona" was last season so I don't understand how they know to look for her.  Oh well, no matter.  I'll figure it out eventually I'm sure and I'll enjoy the ride along the way.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, WatchrTina said:

I'm having a good time but I cannot recall who "Mona" was last season so I don't understand how they know to look for her.  Oh well, no matter.  I'll figure it out eventually I'm sure and I'll enjoy the ride along the way.

I don't think Mona was in last season.  She showed up in the beginning of THIS season while Dirk was in Blackwing and told him to find the boy.  Then she dumped water on him and he disappeared and reappeared in the car in the field for Todd and Farrah to find!  Ken knows about her because he's been reading up on all the Blackwing subjects.

I think "Moloch" knows about Dirk Gently from their previous conversations, knows that he was his best friend and "assistant" at that time (because as Dirk said to Friedkin, that he was the only person he could "talk to" in Blackwing, when he was younger, thus his only friend). 

So Moloch must have heard him, even in his coma, and incorporated him in the fantasy world and prophecy. Maybe he even knew about the "gift" Dirk has, maybe believed that somehow thanks to this ability he will be the only one who can help.

What I am missing this season - what is exactly Dirks "ability"again? I have hoped that they would get more into it this season, explain it somehow...

The the only example of it I have seen this season that stood out - when Dirk wanted to go for breakfast suddenly, and they have met the Cardenas boy working there as a waiter by chance

... And of course there was the space rabbit (hooping near the flying car in the tree) - but that was Todd!!

• Love 2

@bara007, I think you're right on how Dirk became part of Wendimoor's mythology.

1 hour ago, bara007 said:

What I am missing this season - what is exactly Dirks "ability"again? I have hoped that they would get more into it this season, explain it somehow...

This is how I interpret the "holistic" ability (repasting something I posted a while ago): Dirk and Bart are "holistically" connected to the world in such a way that problems that need solving come to detective Dirk arranged in a way that he can solve them, and people who need killing present themselves to assassin Bart in such a way that she can kill them almost effortlessly.

So basically, fate/chance/life lead Dirk to go places, meet people etc. that in turn lead him to discoveries that, when he's made enough of them, fit together into the only possible solution to the mystery he's currently confronting.

• Love 7
On 12/4/2017 at 4:28 AM, Chyromaniac said:

Also, the varsity jacket has a "42" patch, and, at one point Dirk said "Sorry for the inconvenience", both Hitchhiker's references. 

• Love 6

Great episode. Nice to have Bart back.

Ken's arc and character development is interesting, but I can't say that I actually like it. He's quickly turning into a bad guy.

What happened to Friedkin? The knights were shooting everyone around him. The next we see, the knights are making their way around the facility. I know he's not dead, since we didn't see it happen, but Susie's command was pretty clear. Kill everyone. So why would he be left alive?

I don't mind the mass murdering sequences. Season 1 was pretty violent too.

• Love 2

So, the "previously on" montage had a scene between Panto and Bart where he's trying to convince her to go to Wendimoor. Then in this ep, they're out of jail and on their way. Never saw that scene in last week's episode. Even went back and scanned through. It wasn't there. (Or was it in another one? I really don't remember seeing it.)

Loved Bart's reaction to seeing Ken, but also that she didn't choose their friendship over a happy ending. --Now that she's back to killing, wondering what that will mean for her. (Agree that Ken is not such a nice guy anymore. )

I'm thinking there's got to be some kind of magical reset coming. The Wendimoor families killing each other was bad enough, but Silas and Panto dead? It's an imagined world, but we've spent far too much time there for it to just be wiped out. Also can't believe that Farah, Tina, and Hobbs are actually gone. There's got to be some other resolution. Otherwise, this season will just suck and be completely pointless.

Did enjoy Farah blowing up the Mage, though. Too bad Panto didn't finish off Mr. Priest.

Wishing I had powers to turn into absolutely anything, like that girl can. Don't think I'd be a squeezy toy though.

• Love 1

There is not really a direkt hint Ken turns into a Bad Guy.

Sure he works with Blackwing but better him per Proxy in Charge there as Friedkin^^

He trys too get everybody calm so nobody is dying.

As in the Scene with Mona as she hinted she cut turn in a Aircraftcarrier and destroy the entire Place.

With People with that mutch Power theres better Ken there as that dimwitt Friedkin.

And i dont think he likes to be the next Years sleeping in that Taxi so that else could he do ?

I'm imagining when the boy gets to Wendimoor he will become a boy again because he has basically slept away his entire life. I wasn't too upset by Panto and Silas' deaths because I too believe they will come back to life. If they don't I will be upset. 

I do think Kern should be in charge of Black wing and Black wing does have a place. There are situations that they could help mitigate but the military mindset of people like Friedkin and Priest can make things worse. Ken seems better with big picture thinking. It did suck that Ken was trying to use his friendship with Bart to manipulate her into going to Black wing but even if she was there they probably couldn't hold her.

I binge watched the first season of this show and that is definitely the way to watch it. Every episode ends in a cliffhanger and its very frustrating. 

• Love 3

The universe may have wanted to fire Bart/Chekhov's gun to wipe out the Kellum Knights...but all in all I think Ken would have been much nicer to her.Seeing Bart die hurt her, I thought.  I think Ken's plan for Bart was more like hanging out, than whatever Friedkin would do. Speaking of which, Ken versus Friedkin was by itself worth the episode as far as I'm concerned. 

I agree there's a magical reset coming for Wendimoor. If everybody there stays dead, how will there be any dramatic tension wondering whether Amanda will stay with her new friends?

• Love 1

Maybe Ken will become like the new Riggins. The guy who was with old Blackwing, hunting down Dirk but seemed more like he cared about the subjects as people and wanted to help them than that he wanted to experiment on them. 

I love that Mona would rather be an inanimate object than human. Humans suck! 

If the Boy created the world of Wendimoor once, he can do it again, yes? I can't say I particularly care about any of them other than Panto and his boyfriend, but I was shocked when they got gunned down. 

There is no way Farrah is gone. I hope Tina and Hobbs are okay too, but I just can't see the show continuing without Farrah. Something will happen to save them. If not, I don't now if I'd be invested in a third season because this is my fun place. All this slaughter is not fun and if the characters I actually care about die, that will be very much not fun. Kill all the Wendimoorian's you want show, but leave the Burgsburg crew alone!

I did love the Brotzman Siblings working together but damn Dirk, it's clearly hurting them, freaking jump already! That's what I was shouting at the TV anyway. lol 

• Love 2

I've noticed some more Douglas Adams references. In the flashback last week to the deaths of the Cardenas family, young Moloch had a comic book titled "PANIC! Attack of the Dolphins". And, of course, Dirk's last words before jumping into the pool were, "Don't panic."

I'm not a fan of somewhat evil Ken, either.

Pissed off Bart with a chainsaw?

Be afraid.

Be very afraid.

Time's up, you're dead!

• Love 4
11 hours ago, nosleepforme said:
23 hours ago, justmehere said:

So, the "previously on" montage had a scene between Panto and Bart where he's trying to convince her to go to Wendimoor. Then in this ep, they're out of jail and on their way. Never saw that scene in last week's episode. Even went back and scanned through. It wasn't there. (Or was it in another one? I really don't remember seeing it.)

I think it was the episode before the previous one. Last week Bart and Panto weren't in the episode. 

Thanks. Found it in episode 6. My DVR description for 8 (last week) states: "Panto offers Bart a better life", and then they weren't in the episode. And, I didn't remember from 3 weeks back. Hence, my confusion.

3 hours ago, MarkHB said:

I've noticed some more Douglas Adams references. In the flashback last week to the deaths of the Cardenas family, young Moloch had a comic book titled "PANIC! Attack of the Dolphins". And, of course, Dirk's last words before jumping into the pool were, "Don't panic."

The phone number to Blackwing was (555)424-2424

• Love 3

Bart w/ a chainsaw is all kinds of awesome. Still, someone needs to sit our lady down and explain the concept of jinxes to her. Not just once, but twice, she said that she and Panto were going to Windimoor for the Happy Ending. No Bart. Just ... no.

• Love 4
On 10.12.2017 at 11:37 AM, Andrew Wiggin said:

There is not really a direkt hint Ken turns into a Bad Guy.

Yeah, well. He did. This episode really made me hate him. Poor Bart, her wish was just to get back with Ken.

And poor Friedkin, stuck in some kind of void. Ken was truly a ruthless bastard just tossing him into the portal.

But the rest of them got a nice, happy ending, and that's always good thing. If there won't be another season, none of the actual main characters were trapped in a cliffhanger, so it's satisfying enough of an ending.

I thought this season wasn't as good as the first one, but it wasn't far from it. The one episode few weeks back which only took place on Wendimoor was the weak link, but other than that, I really enjoyed it and hopefully it will be back next year.

• Love 3

Yeah looks like he realy changed ,with the usual Reason he does the best for all ^^

He dont understand he got the same Limitation as Friedkin.

Friedkin was utterless Stupid and Clueless and Ken thinks he kow all the  Rules,

If we get more Seasons i dont think what was we last we have seen of Friedkin,foreshaded with his red Eyes and his: I get it  at the end.

Oh Ken, we were all rooting for you. He has all the information but he just doesn't get it. I'm most annoyed that he knows what life was like for Bart and he just leaves her in a sterile,  dark room. She wants to be there. Would it hurt anything to get some colourful soft furnishings and a TV. 

I really liked the boy and it was so good seeing the happy endings for everyone. Panto and Silas had a romantic reunion and Dirk, Todd and Farah finally opened their detective agency. That's all i really wanted out of the ending. 

• Love 6

Poor Bart, she thought she was a leaf in the stream of creation, she decided to try to kill fewer people, she wanted the happy ending, and she ends up believing she's just a tool, a weapon. If she decided Ken needs killing my heart breaks for her, but Ken doesn't stand a chance and he should be less nonchalant about that.

I hope Rapunzel is ok.

I hope there will be a third season that is more satisfying than this.

Bart broke my heart. Ken is dead to me now. All she wanted was a friend and he used that against her. ARGH!!!!

I've never been happier for a total reset. Even though I wasn't too invested in most of the Wendimoor folks, I was very happy to see Panto and Silas together. 

I was also happy to see Todd and Amanda share a hug at the end. Soo sweet.

Farah, Tina and Hobbs in recovery was hilarious. "I missed all the best parts!" Poor Hobbs. If we get a next season I wouldn't mind seeing Tina and Hobbs again. They were great comic relief. I can't tell if they are leaning towards romantic of big brother little sister but I like their relationship a lot. 

In the end, another great season. It wasn't perfect, and yeah, the all Wendimoor episode was the weakest of the bunch, but it was a good story and it all ended up connected in the end. But I, too, wonder how the boy ended up in the boat in the field. Did I miss something? Did the Mage try to banish him from Wendimoor maybe? Or is he just a leaf in the stream of creation being taken where he needed to be?

I do like how he explained, they are each a tool that is needed to correct whatever it is that is going to happen to the universe. They each have a special gift that will allow them to do their part. Bart kills whoever needs to be killed, Dirk gets people (the Brotzmans I suppose) where they need to be, I think Mona becomes whatever is needed, the boy creates what needs creating. Not sure how the Rowdy Three fit in, they suck energy from whatever needs sucking? lol 

I can't wait for another season. There better be another season. And Rapunzel better still be around. I love Rapunzel. I loved her looking at Dirk when he got to Black Wing. Like, hey, welcome back, can I lead you to the guest rooms?

• Love 4

That was fun.  I really enjoyed the speech Todd gave to Susie about "what exactly is your point?" And that the world doesn't change for you, you need to change in order to find happiness.  I like her stuck in the train and her former husband, son, and dog playing happily.

I was sad for Bart.  I was happy to see character development for Mona in last two episodes.  I liked her.  Hope she joins the agency.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, fredfreddy44 said:

I really enjoyed the speech Todd gave to Susie about "what exactly is your point?" And that the world doesn't change for you, you need to change in order to find happiness.  I like her stuck in the train and her former husband, son, and dog playing happily.

I had forgotten Todd's "what exactly is your point?" I died laughing. Like, really, what was her point? 

I was surprised at how happy I was when I saw her husband and son got a new puppy and seemed happy. I didn't think I cared about them that much. But apparently I did. 

• Love 1

It should be inescapable.  I presume happily ever after did not reset on Earth so everyone in the hospital, the book club, and those mob guys in the first episode stay dead.  Did I miss anyone that Susie killed on Earth?

I also like the "ambuleez" or however it was spelled.

• Love 1
On 12/10/2017 at 0:06 PM, talktalk said:

This show has become too violent for my taste! too much killing. 

Yeah, as I mentioned before I was turned off by the blood-bath in Wendimoor.  I suspected that they would hit the magical reset button and all the characters we met and cared about there would come back to life in the last episode, which they did.  But those knights that went through the portal did a lot of killing in our world and those dead stayed dead so the body-count is still disturbing.

I still thought it was a fun ride.  A bit crazy.  Oh who am I kidding -- it was a LOT crazy.  But I'm hooked and look forward to seeing what happens next season.  I'm mainly concerned about Bart.  I'm afraid she's right -- Ken needs killing.  And so does Mr. Priest.  Hmmmmmm, for someone who just expressed dismay at the body-count this season I do seem to be eager for more killing next season.  

Anyway, the biggest surprise of this show is that I really care about Bart-the-holistic-assassin and I'm a huge fan of the Rowdy 3.  That's unexpected.

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, fredfreddy44 said:

It should be inescapable.  I presume happily ever after did not reset on Earth so everyone in the hospital, the book club, and those mob guys in the first episode stay dead.  Did I miss anyone that Susie killed on Earth?

I also like the "ambuleez" or however it was spelled.

Suzie killed the three or four members of the book club on Earth, I can't think of anyone else, but I could be forgetting something. She killed the family dog, too. The Mage killed Suzie's boss, but I can't think of anyone else he succeeded in killing. She sent the soldiers to earth and there were casualties on both sides.

My heart breaks for Bart wanting the happy ending but not getting it, and losing her only friend.

I didn't enjoy this season as much as the last season, I think the main reason was that I wasn't particularly invested in Wendimoor and didn't really think there was much in the way of stakes involved, it started with a prophecy about a boy being able to fix everything and involved a lot of stupid violent people being stupid and violent before the reset, the two families ended up killing each other because they were led by stupid people who wouldn't listen to reason and the knights who had no characterization at all. (Also if there's only two families there's got to be a lot of inbreeding if they hate each other)

I watched the last season repeatedly because I enjoyed the twisty plot and the character interactions. I doubt I'll rewatch this even once. 

I was more irritated that Ken became stupid rather than he turned to the dark side. He told Fredkin that these people were far too dangerous to interfere with and then he tries to stop Dirk from doing his thing in the last episode. It's not like Moloch was even functional at Blackwing so it's not like him leaving was even a big loss.

Also why were guys with swords and sling shots killing so many men with guns ? Were they wearing magic armor or something ? 

• Love 1

Also why were guys with swords and sling shots killing so many men with guns ? Were they wearing magic armor or something ? 

The Mage sent through a cache of machine guns to Wendimoor back in the beginning. I assume these were what they used. 

Also, Ken was finally given a surmane this episode: Adams. As in Douglas Adams. Haven't seen that mentioned anywhere. Hmmm.

• Love 2
27 minutes ago, Cosmic Muffin said:

Suzie killed the three or four members of the book club on Earth, I can't think of anyone else, but I could be forgetting something. She killed the family dog, too. 

She killed the dog and turned her son into a frog, but at the end the son was human and the dog was alive. Unless after her husband recovered from her brain zapping her got a new dog. Hard to tell but seemed to be the same dog. This leads me to conclude at least some undoing happened on this side of the portal.

• Love 2
On 10/29/2017 at 11:28 PM, AnimeMania said:

My name is Panto Trost, Lord Prince of the Valley of Inglenook in the Land of Wendimoor. I came to your world through the Pool of the Empty Throne, with help from Wakti Wapnasi, forest witch of the Santi Santiga, who guides the Bofuki Nepoo. She foretold the prophecy I seek to enact, that once the great dark wizard found his apprentice, no one in Wendimoor could defeat him, and his army would come like a tide. The only hope to save Wendimoor is if the fiercest of foes were united, the great weapon is retrieved, and she-who-sees-all opened a door into a dream, allowing through a man, who, with him, would bring a boy... the boy who would save our world. The man who could bring the boy, the man who could save my family, my world... his name is Dirk Gently.

Thought this was worth one last look... we got to see the Pool of the Empty Throne (where Amanda and Todd opened the portal), and meet Wakti Wapnasi.  The "fiercest of foes" were, perhaps, united in death, I still assume the great weapon was Bart (unless it was the air gun), and she-who-sees-all is Amanda.

• Love 4

In retrospect, my guess for the "fiercest foes" is Amanda and Todd, with Mona being "she who sees all."

I was happier with the wrap up this year than last- even with the few cliffhangers, this felt like a more satisfying season conclusion. I'm down for season 3.

2 hours ago, Cosmic Muffin said:

Suzie killed the three or four members of the book club on Earth, I can't think of anyone else, but I could be forgetting something.

You are forgetting the Suzie went to the Hospital and killed a ton of people, including "the Cardenas boy" (just not the right boy).

• Love 2