Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E05: The Moon and the Star

Episode description:

Jamie and Logan arrive in Caraquet but are horrified to find it's not the refuge they hope for. Also, after the team gets a lead on Jamie's location, they eagerly head to Caraquet in the hopes of reuniting with her.

(edited)

Interesting -- no mention in the episode description about a side-trip to Washington state to save trees

So, Frenchy McBugeyes is dead.   And no one really cares but Jackson, though Dariela was upset for all of 5 minutes.

Mitch's step-mother takes control of the plane and lands it so she can board.  All so she can divert them to save her farm in Washington.  And she's the assistant Secretary of Defense. And it was her idea to put that team on that plane.  Seriously ? 

Snakes are shedding toxic glass, and living inside of humans.  Correction, did I hear that right ?  The snake came up the sewer system and crawled up Frank's butt.  That's a new low for this show.

Jamie and Redshirt find a compound that turns out to be a cult of some sort that enjoys sacrificing people to the animals.

Jackson is bleeding black oil from his eyes -- what is this, the X-Files ?

So the snakes are poisoning the aquifer feeding the entire Pacific Northwest -- I don't quite think the snakes thought this all the way through, because poisoning all the plants will destroy all the plants and wipe out their own ecosystem.

Snakes on a plane !!!!  And Jackson's secret is now out to everyone

And way too quickly, the plane traveled from Washington State to New Brunswick -- an alternative universe New Brunswick populated by herds of polar bears.  Does Caraquet have an international airport for that humongous plane to land ?

Where did Jackson get that home video of Chloe from ?

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 4

I spent the whole episode thinking Chloe was going to rise as a mutant zombie.  Then I saw the preview and realized they now have a potential pairing for everyone and have accepted that Chloe is dead.  Jackson is going to be Mitch's step-stepdad.

• Love 3
25 minutes ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Interesting -- no mention in the episode desctiption about a side-trip to Washington state for to save trees

So, Frenchy McBugeyes is dead.   And no one really cares but Jackson, though Dariela was upset for all of 5 minutes.

Mitch's step-mother takes control of the plane and lands it so she can board.  All so she can divert them to save her farm in Washington.  And she's the assistant Secretary of Defense. And it was her idea to put that team on that plane.  Seriously ? 

Snakes are shedding toxic glass, and living inside of humans.  Correction, did I hear that right ?  The snake came up the sewer system and crawled up Frank's butt.  That's a new low for this show.

Jamie and Redshirt find a compound that turns out to be a cult of some sort that enjoys sacrificing people to the animals.

Jackson is bleeding black oil from his eyes -- what is this, the X-Files ?

So the snakes are poisoning the aquifer feeding the entire Pacific Northwest -- I don't quite think the snakes thought this all the way through, because poisoning all the plants will destroy all the plants and wipe out their own ecosystem.

Snakes on a plane !!!!  And Jackson's secret is now out to everyone

And way too quickly, the plane traveled from Washington State to New Brunswick -- an alternative universe New Brunswick populated by herds of polar bears.  Does Caraquet have an international airport for that humongous plane to land ?

Where did Jackson get that home video of Chloe from ?

Nothing is too low or ridiculous for this series.

Chloe had 1 of the most 'meh' deaths ever.

They ripped off more than just X-Files, they also ripped off the 'feedings' as well, so the writers are just copying and pasting whatever they can find.

As for the animals, they just pick things out of the hat or throw darts: glass snakes, electric ants, etc.

• Love 1

As soon as I heard the growling, I was just like... that better not be freaking polar bears

I get this is a show where animals are evolving at an absurd rate and men are being turned into creatures but yes, this Canadian is taking offense that this show believes that polar bears exist on a coastal town of New Brunswick. 

and let's just say the show is going to be all "they're migrating south in search of delicious humans." You're telling me they are just stumbling upon a tiny town instead of heading slightly southwest into the most populated area of Canada?

• Love 3
(edited)

As I mentioned last week, as long as I get one LOL moment per episode, I will continue to watch. Last episode was Mitch's surprise encounter with the alligator in the tunnel; this episode it was the snake coming out of the guy's mouth. Are these supposed to be funny, or am I just way too medicated? 

Which is the greater plagiarsm: Mrs. Trump parroting Michelle Obama's 2008 speech, or Jackson's X-Files black oil tears?

I guess anyone who hangs out with Dariella should get their affairs in order. Watch out, Abe!

Edited by shapeshifter
typo
  • Love 1

I too kept thinking that Chloe was somehow going to rise from the dead.  Since Jackson is now part-animal, I was assuming that the... uh... deposits... that Jackson transferred from him to her were going to kick in and cause some sort of immunity.   I guess there's still time.  But most likely she's gone.  I don't get why the show would get rid of the hottest woman on the show. Jamie is annoying.  Dariela is irritating.  And now we have a new woman.  

It was kind of nice to see that a chunky woman could rise to become leader of that school cult.  But what was up with the Shirley Jackson Lottery style sacrifice?   They seemed perfectly safe inside the school. It had a fence that the polar bears apparently couldn't get past.  So why not continue as is?  And why bother to rescue Jamie and whatshisname only to feed them for a day and then kill them?

• Love 4
3 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Correction, did I hear that right ?  The snake came up the sewer system and crawled up Frank's butt.

And (apparently) he didn't notice until it crawled up as far as his tonsils!  

22 minutes ago, blackwing said:

I don't get why the show would get rid of the hottest woman on the show. Jamie is annoying.  Dariela is irritating.  And now we have a new woman.

Maybe because the new woman is really hot and isn't known for bug-eyes?

Chloe really is dead, huh?  I guess I will give the show come credit for going through with it, even though if they had to off a regular, I would have rather it been Jamie, since there at least can be some unintentional entertainment value out of Chloe's bug-eye acting.  But, really, as long as it wasn't Abe or Mitch, I could have cared less.  Fare thee well, Chloe.  You weren't a competent leader, but..... well, I guess you tried.  And it's not like the rest would do much better (maybe Abe, but I think he understandably would never want that job.)

So, now we get this new, hot stepmom of Mitch's, who is the one pulling all the strings and gave the plane to the team.  Whatever.  I actually kind of miss Delavenne, but that's mainly due to Carl Lumbly.

I can't believe that Logan and Jamie couldn't recognize those growls.  It was obvious to me that they were going to be bears.  Not just any bears, but polar bears!  Who were apparently really pissed that they ran out of Coca-Cola, and had to go after those humans for hoarding all the sweet, refreshing drink.  The bears were in the right!

At least they somewhat kept it accurate, by having Hiro Kanagawa play that Curtis guy, because you know it's in Canada, when he's there.  Either him or Roger Cross.

So, not only is Jamie back with the team, I'm guessing both this Logan and Maddie person will be along for the ride.  It's like they are expanding the cast, and yet no one is leaving any kind of a lasting impression, outside of the original team.

Dariela acts mopey over not waiting three seconds for Chloe to haul her ass away from the poisonous gas (how in the hell did she fall that far behind, to begin with?), but is quick to be all "Oh, yes!" after Jackson admits he just wants her around to kill him, incase he goes off the reservation.

So, it's the snakes now that are the problem.  I'm sure the crew will be quoting Indiana Jones, all "Snakes.  Why did it have to be snakes?!"  And then episodes later, it will probably come to misquoting Samuel L. Jackson, with a variation of "I have had it with these motherfucking snakes, on this motherfucking show!"

4 hours ago, weightyghost said:

You're telling me they are just stumbling upon a tiny town instead of heading slightly southwest into the most populated area of Canada?

They misunderstood the name of the town as CarrotCake.  Dessert, please!

Outside of this particular plotline, is there any reason to have propane gas in an aerosol cylinder?  WD-40 it ain't. 

(edited)

So Jackson misunderstands Chloe and thinks she was saying "the courier", turns out there's some big mystery there, but then Mitch's step-mom already Jamie is in Caroquet? 

Rebecca Field was really bringing the crazy.  Id rather have seen her as the season villain instead of General Davies.  

Edited by Tiger
(edited)
9 hours ago, blackwing said:

It was kind of nice to see that a chunky woman could rise to become leader of that school cult.  But what was up with the Shirley Jackson Lottery style sacrifice?   They seemed perfectly safe inside the school. It had a fence that the polar bears apparently couldn't get past.  So why not continue as is?  And why bother to rescue Jamie and whatshisname only to feed them for a day and then kill them?

If you have a community of people that you know, but you have to feed one or two to bears every now and then, wouldn't it make sense to snatch up some strangers to use instead? They were saved specifically to be fed to the bears. Well, Jamie anyway. They might have thought whassisname would be handy for other things.

I guess the bears communicated with all the other animals that COULD get past the fence. Appeasing the bears that couldn't breach the fence anyway shouldn't have kept them safe. We've had birds, insects, sewer gators, and glass shedding snakes (not to mention natural disasters caused by animals that can barely even move). So the only thing I can figure is that as long as the bears are happy making an occasional trip to the fridge for a human, the other animals consider the fridge off limits. Cause bears are SO dangerous to birds, insects, and snakes. They would be far more dangerous to each other fighting over the tiny meal of 2 humans offered to what, six ginormous bears?

You do have to wonder how the residents figured out that this would work though.

Edited by slothgirl
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, blackwing said:

I think I missed how Jamie and that guy ended up at the school.  I saw them looking down on the burning CarrotCake - ohnoz! - but then missed what happened after that.  Can someone fill me in?

• Love 1
(edited)

Myka!!! Oh, how did I love the scene where Myka (okay, Allison) grabbed the pillow and removed its casing so that Jackson could stash the snake in there. She still knows how to bag and tag! *sigh* I miss Warehouse 13.

Have I mentioned how much I love this season's opening credits with Billy Burke giving a short intro to all the crazy? He sounds so incredibly annoyed and bored that I always expect him to go yadda yadda yadda halfway through the thing.

Evil cult was a new low even for this show. Bunch of idiots. And why did it have to be polar bears? C'mon show you can do better - how about some elks who suddenly had mutated into carnivores? Lethal chipmunks? Or at least as someone hoped last week fire-breathing bears? Those polar bears were disorientated lame-asses - even worse than their French candy-ass cousin from last season.

There was a certain fairy-tale quality to the explanation of Jackson's triple helix: we've got sloth, snake, vulture and ant - three animals are still missing. Let's go and find them, wheee! It's as if the town musicians of Bremen are hiding in his DNA.

And of course the orchard gets poisoned by mutant snakes thereby threatening human food sources - BECAUSE THE REAL PROBLEM WILL NEVER BE BEES STOPPING TO POLLINATE CROPS BECAUSE THEY DISCOVERED THE JOYS OF TAP-DANCING, ARRGH!

Edited by MissLucas
  • Love 5
  • Didn't think they would kill off Chloe, but at least that actor is FREE from this particular circus
  • Like seeing "Myka", but Holy Retcon Batman!
  • Glass shedding snakes and nothing special polar bears. Come on show, you aren't even trying anymore!
  • I was really hoping that roaring was coming from killer zebras in Canada. Now that would be a twist!
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, izabella said:

I think I missed how Jamie and that guy ended up at the school.  I saw them looking down on the burning CarrotCake - ohnoz! - but then missed what happened after that.  Can someone fill me in?

I forget why Jamie was so convinced that Caraquet was their salvation... did somebody tell her to go there?  She and the guy found the village and it was burning.  Then they heard the roaring of a "mysterious beast" and just started blindly running.  Then they came across the fence to the school and were taken in.  It seems like the entire village had moved into the school?  Leader Lady distinctly said to them "welcome to Caraquet", as if the entire population had moved into the school.

The School Cult storyline was abysmal, none of it made sense.  First off, I think Jamie and whatshisname were standing on the shore of a lake or something and saw the burning village across the water.  Then they hear an animal and start running.  They blindly run and stumble across this school.  Huh?  So even though the entire village is across the water, somehow the villagers decided to locate this large school in a clearing in the middle of the forest?  Makes absolutely no sense.

Also.... why didn't the villagers just leave Jamie and whatshisname outside the locked gates?  The polar bear was chasing them.  It would have found them and eaten them.  Just outside the gates of the school.  Wouldn't that have been enough for the sacrifice?  Leader Lady said it was a monthly feeding.  The polar bears only need to eat once a month?  Do they have a circadian clock that tells them "oh, it's exactly a month, let's make our way to the school".  As best as I can tell, those bears weren't even eating the people.  They swatted them down and clawed them but left 95% of the body lying there on the ground.

I'm glad that Jamie wouldn't let Leader Lady into the bus.  That lady was insane.  She was watching the polar bears approaching Jamie and the young girl with such glee and pleasure, I think she might have even licked her lips.  Then she begs Jamie to let her in the bus?  She could have crawled under the bus or climbed on top of it.  Can polar bears climb trees like other bears?

At least the show gives us something to laugh at each week.

• Love 3
(edited)

Thank you, blackwing!  I remember the "mysterious beast" and the running, but as you said, it made no sense that the school was nowhere near the burning CarrotCake. 

As for why Jamie was going to CarrotCake, she had the map that showed it to be the nearest city to where she was.  She assumed there would be normal people there because Canadians are generally nice people, lol.  And probably assumed someone would have a phone, at least a cell phone, to call for help.

Edited by izabella
  • Love 1

I'm sorry, but does that plane masquerading as a science lab/hotel/bar/military vehicle storage facility have a cloaking device around it or something?!?!?!?!?! How has no one from the military (or whoever the hell the human bad guys are) found them? They know they were working with that lady who got electrocuted by ants and they know that was her plane.............so why don't they have eye on that thing 24/7?

Serious question. Am I supposed to know, or have a reference point, for Mitch's step-mom? I have no recollection of her (or his father) being mentioned on this show at all.

They only thing that mystifies me more that the plane is that there continue to be next-to-no nocturnal animas in New Brunswick, Canada. I laugh every time Jamie and whatshisface are traipsing around at night with no problem. Also, Blond Lady Running things? I need to tell you something. If you burn 24 hours a day, you will eventually run out of shit to burn. I don't know what's funnier: the amount of people Jamie is directly and indirectly responsible for killing or the idea that a simple chainlink fence kept out a bunch of polar bears.

Jackson's black tears made me want to dive into old school X-Files episodes.

Abe? Shut the fuck up. I swear, all he does his on this show is get morally condescending or deathly serious and it kills my silly Zoo vibe.

Bye Chloe. I will miss you, your bug eyes and your vague, but ever evolving job title. BTW, I swear Mitch was doing chest compressions while Chloe was conscious. Who the hell took that video of Chloe in Africa. Didn't she say she went alone? Maybe it was a friendly lion :)

I still have no idea what the passage of time is on this show.

(edited)
7 hours ago, MissLucas said:

Myka!!! Oh, how did I love the scene where Myka (okay, Allison) grabbed the pillow and removed its casing so that Jackson could stash the snake in there. She still knows how to bag and tag! *sigh* I miss Warehouse 13.

I immediately started to hope that she'd whip out Charles Darwin's Field Glasses or Jane Goodall's Diaper Bag or something that would solve this whole ridiculous  McGuffin series plot by the end of the episode.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 5
(edited)
18 hours ago, izabella said:

Thank you, blackwing!  I remember the "mysterious beast" and the running, but as you said, it made no sense that the school was nowhere near the burning CarrotCake. 

As for why Jamie was going to CarrotCake, she had the map that showed it to be the nearest city to where she was.  She assumed there would be normal people there because Canadians are generally nice people, lol.  And probably assumed someone would have a phone, at least a cell phone, to call for help.

The wonky thing about the "mysterious beast " -- what was that bright light source ON THE GROUND that the beast was walking in front of ?

Don't forget that Jamie and Logan's pickup truck ran out of gas, before getting out and looking across the river at Carrotcake on fire -- that's why they were on foot.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 1
(edited)
29 minutes ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

The wonky thing about the "mysterious beast " -- what was that bright light source ON THE GROUND that the beast was walking in front of ?

Polar Bears can now generate light from their ass?

Edited by Tiger
  • Love 3

For a brief second i thought that Melissa McCarthy was guesting as the villain of this episode..i mean since CBS cancelled Mike & Molly and all lol

Also.... why didn't the villagers just leave Jamie and whatshisname outside the locked gates?

It looked like Jamie and Logan climbed (vaulted?) over the fence into the compound, where the villagers came upon them. I remember seeing flashlights shining on them while they were still on the ground after jumping/climbing.  But, if it was that easy to get over the fence, I'm sure the polar bears would have found a way in before then.

I also wondered about the bright light that seemed to be just around the corner from them when they first heard the animal roar.  Maybe the villagers lied and there were a few that went outside the fence in an armored truck or something to keep up with the bears' location and they were trying to herd them toward Jamie and Logan?  

The woman who played the creepy mean lottery lady has been on lots of other shows.  I seem to remember her as usually playing an evil or crazy person.  

The snake was gross, but when Mitch said that the stuff had properties of skin but had venomous aspects as well, the first thing I thought was some type of snake (before that I figured that the orchard problem was caused by the bees going on strike).

• Love 1
On 20 July 2016 at 3:28 PM, blackwing said:

Yay! Someone else thought of The Lottery. Well Zoo are getting inspiration from good sources, I'll give them that. 

• Love 2

Oh, Mitch. So much of your personality is explained by step mom.

I'm pleased Jamie said "fuck off and die" to the crazy cult lady. Because it was actually logical and well-deserved. 

• Love 2
50 minutes ago, slothgirl said:

Mitch has far more chemistry with stepmom than with Jamie. Plus the fact that she's probably closer to his age.

Wouldn't be surprised to find out he and stepmom had a thing together before she married his (much more financially secure?) father.  The minute I saw her, my thought was, "Okay, this is how they are going to get Jaime and Logan together without having the fans hate either character. Mitch will fall for his step mother as Jaime falls for Logan."

• Love 1
(edited)
44 minutes ago, Happytobehere said:

Wouldn't be surprised to find out he and stepmom had a thing together before she married his (much more financially secure?) father.... 

That actually makes sense -- so I will be very surprised if they go there.
IRL:
Mitch/Billy Burke is 49
Jamie/Kristen Connolly is 35
Myka/stepmom/Joanne Kelley is 38

I'm guessing Mitch is supposed to be 40.
Jamie looks and acts not more than 30.

Edited by shapeshifter
3 hours ago, slothgirl said:

Mitch has far more chemistry with stepmom than with Jamie. Plus the fact that she's probably closer to his age.

I agree, Mitch always seems paternal towards Jamie, not romantically interested. Although the other 2 (now 1 with Chloe gone, RIP) have zero chemistry as well. 

• Love 1

I'm enjoying this show the same way I used to enjoy Under the Dome.  It's so bat crap crazy that I wind up looking forward to it more than most shows.

That might have been the worst delivery for the death of a main character that I've ever seen.  Guest stars on CSI get a better sendoff than that.  It was so bad that I also kept expecting zombieChloe, or at least something animal related.  I guess she'd served her purpose and had to make way for Mitch's mom, which is pretty much the only storyline I care about at the moment.  Mitch continues to be the only one that delivers intentional laughs for me.

I know that crazy cult leaders are crazy, but did it ever occur to them that maybe the reason that the polar bears kept coming back is because they kept feeding them?  If you don't want stray cats coming around your house, you don't put out food for them to keep them away.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, no10pin said:

I know that crazy cult leaders are crazy, but did it ever occur to them that maybe the reason that the polar bears kept coming back is because they kept feeding them?  If you don't want stray cats coming around your house, you don't put out food for them to keep them away.

Long-term thinking definitely wasn't these folks forte. They kept burning stuff (what exactly?) in order to keep the animals away but sooner or later whatever they used for fuel would have been used up. Not to mention the food and whatever else they still had around to keep the town running. In short: in true Zoo-style nothing made sense.

• Love 1
On 7/23/2016 at 3:22 PM, MissLucas said:

Long-term thinking definitely wasn't these folks forte. They kept burning stuff (what exactly?) in order to keep the animals away but sooner or later whatever they used for fuel would have been used up. 

They're in a forest.  I imagine running out of wood isn't a problem.

On 8/1/2016 at 4:30 PM, MissLucas said:

If you have the resources to organize a lumberjack party and keep it safe in a forest full of homicidal buffaloes, ice-bears and marmots then you don't have to resort to human sacrifice.

That seems more like their stupidity (or plot induced stupidity).  They have the manpower to gather wood.  If they're only relying on the sacrifices to keep them safe then I imagine they'll run out of people far sooner than they'll run out of fire wood.

Damn, Chloe's actually dead. But...why? I liked Chloe; why couldn't we have sacrificed Jamie? Who, by the way, is still causing all sorts of problems. She can barely handle herself, while Chloe's been fairly useful. Even with her Bug Eyes, she was still good.

Show, you killed off the wrong character.

Seriously, why are we getting so much time on Jamie and her new beau? I'd rather see Chloe and Jackson awkwardly flirt with each other than a possible love triangle for the second half of the season. And look, Mitch's step-mom who looks younger than Mitch! They'll probably have a thing after they confess they already had a thing. See? Predictable show when it comes to romance. Down to the music and everything.

"I passed on all the others because I know you the best....even though we haven't spoken or seen each other in 12 years and you have changed a lot since." Yeah, ok Allison.

Heh, Jackson, the Snake Tamer. I seriously needed that moment to happen, and it didn't disappoint. 

So, is anyone going to be surprised when Dariela doesn't end up putting a bullet in Jackson's head for whatever reason? As long as it's not because she's in love with him (because poor Abe), then I might be able to accept it.

Crazy cult leaders...you know if you keep feeding the polar bears, they'll keep returning, right? What happens when you're all out of sacrifices and then you gotta start picking each other off? And what happens when the democracy stops working? Idiots. And nobody tried to escape on the bus. Wow. 

• Love 1