Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: 1, 2, 3 Non-Cheerleader Conversation

• Start Topic

6 minutes ago, DancingNurse said:

Let's just go for it and do a "Cherry Pie" solo.

I feel like KMH is more America’s Sweethearts without crossing the line. Cherry Pie is more....Redskins cheerleading or Jets Flight Crew ?. I would wear a red full body sequined outfit by Dallas Wear (they would sponsor me because I’m so amazing in Kitty Carter’s class, trust me girl or trust my IG videos). ?

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, Cappuccinagina said:

I feel like KMH is more America’s Sweethearts without crossing the line. Cherry Pie is more....Redskins cheerleading or Jets Flight Crew ?. I would wear a red full body sequined outfit by Dallas Wear (they would sponsor me because I’m so amazing in Kitty Carter’s class, trust me girl or trust my IG videos). ?

I'm living dangerously LOL. Redskins or Eagles will take me if DCC won't. 

• Love 2
16 hours ago, DancingNurse said:

I'm living dangerously LOL. Redskins or Eagles will take me if DCC won't. 

LOL I can't speak for Redskins, but Eagles for sure :)

• Love 4
10 hours ago, PBSLover said:

Where do you guys get your entertainment news?  

I used to read Perez Hilton - got into him kind of accidentally after I found this beautiful song on his site when I was going through a pretty miserable breakup:

http://perezhilton.com/2010-06-29-listen-to-this-christina-aguilera-should-have-recorded-this#.WweG8C_MygQ 

Read him for a bit before I got turned off by the way he was talking about people....he could sound like such a sweetheart, into music and just happy and goofy about celebrity gossip, and then turn around and give people mean nicknames ("Maniston"), or imply that Taylor Swift is #foreveralone because she's *gasp* 25 AND NOT MARRIED WHAT A HAG!!!

TMZ is pretty tame in comparison ?

• Love 1
19 hours ago, PBSLover said:

This is a general non-show question: Where do you guys get your entertainment news?  

Just curious. Thanks!

Yahoo Entertainment or Google :) 

• Love 1

figure this is the right topic to post this on - but did anyone else see that Cersten changed her instagram handle? to "dr.c.breezy"? As someone who busted their ass through 4 years of med school and now finishing up my 3 years of residency...that grinds my gears. you're not a doctor yet, sweetie. But I guess it should've been expected given her past misidentifications...

• Love 5

Non show topic, but since you guys are great to talk with, even when we don't all agree:) - I've been with the same company for almost 29 years.  I've had the same position for the last 14 years.  I've enjoyed my job, it's never boring and I've been happy with my position.

Now they want me to take a different job within the company because I don't have the right "skill set" for my position - again had this position for 14 years.  The new job would most likely mean relocation and a pay cut.

Do I tell them to stuff it or take a new position?

Gosh Scorpio, that's a tough one for sure.  I did a google search on what that may mean and found it is interesting the double talk employers use and it often is not easy to decipher their true meaning.   I have a friend who just retired as an HR director for a bank and will ask her what she thinks your boss is saying.  

Nowadays it seems like long-time employees are purposely phased out of positions.

I don't know your age, but the older you are the harder it can be to find a new position.  

• Love 1
37 minutes ago, parrotfeathers said:

Gosh Scorpio, that's a tough one for sure.  I did a google search on what that may mean and found it is interesting the double talk employers use and it often is not easy to decipher their true meaning.   I have a friend who just retired as an HR director for a bank and will ask her what she thinks your boss is saying.  

Nowadays it seems like long-time employees are purposely phased out of positions.

I would say that in the past few years, my company has "phased out" maybe, 200-300 years of total experience.

Sorry to hear about your situation Scorpio. I was in your shoes almost a year ago and was furloughed with 30 of my co-workers when my government contractor company didn't get an expected contract renewal. Three months later, the company hired about 20 temps (at about 1/2 of what most of us were making and without benefits). I'm in my late 40s and ageism is definitely out there. My advice is to get your resume ready and start looking but keep your job as long as you can. I have a Bachelors Degree, am a Veteran (held security clearances for over 20 years) and can't even get an interview for jobs that make $10-$12 an hour.    

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Spooky said:

My advice is to get your resume ready and start looking but keep your job as long as you can. I have a Bachelors Degree, am a Veteran (held security clearances for over 20 years) and can't even get an interview for jobs that make $10-$12 an hour.    

Had a friend with the same experience.  Stayed at one job 25 years and planned to retire in 2 years.   Privately held company was bought by big company 8 years ago.    After a couple of years she was transferred to another position which she hated.  Last year she started getting called into the office for poor performance (with witnesses and a formal record kept for every call-in).  They terminated her shortly thereafter and simply did away with her position (which is conveniently legal).  They saved $45,000 a year by firing her.  She didn't even start looking for a job until she had used up her unemployment and severance package (big mistake) and finally found a $10 a  hour job after a year.  Two years away from retirement.

Even Dave Ramsey agrees it is ridiculous to be excessively loyal to one company because it rarely is a 2-way street.  He has a great guy named Ken Coleman who is really good at career advice with excellent podcasts that might be helpful.

• Love 2
On 5/27/2018 at 9:03 PM, raindancer said:

thanks for asking!! ?  but you didn't mention where you get yours - anyplace you like in particular?

I live in LA so I was interested in where people who don’t live here get their news. I’m a Jezebel and Page Six girl. And I listen to Howard Stern 3 days a week and am on YouTube a bunch. Basically, I’m all over the place.

On 5/27/2018 at 11:09 PM, Spooky said:

My advice is to get your resume ready and start looking but keep your job as long as you can.

Agreed!

• Love 2
On 6/4/2018 at 7:38 PM, parrotfeathers said:

I just cannot stomach Howard Stern.    But I'm going to check out those other 2 places you mentioned PBSLover.

I love him more than I can say. I know he doesn’t treat women with the same respect as he does men, but I just “get” him. 

3 hours ago, LadyMsJay said:

..I"m dreading the parade tomorrow

Eagles parade day was pretty awful.  Several businesses were shut down for the day (including where I work) because of public transportation being re-routed or canceled.  Basically the only people who showed up were the ones able to walk to work.

• Love 1
On 6/11/2018 at 1:56 PM, LadyMsJay said:

..I"m dreading the parade tomorrow

I was down at 9th and G NW today to visit the National Portrait Gallery with my mom, who is visiting from out of town.  The traffic and crowds weren't too bad, and it was nice to see everyone rocking the red.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, California Girl said:

I was down at 9th and G NW today to visit the National Portrait Gallery with my mom, who is visiting from out of town.  The traffic and crowds weren't too bad, and it was nice to see everyone rocking the red.

Hey I work a few blocks away! Yeah it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be at all. I guess because Metro used more trains than usual

• Love 2

Another weird DCC related dream. Sydney was at my  county election office voting. I came in and saw her. I waited until she left the office because I wanted to meet her and get her autograph. We started talking, and I finally ask her about her being a former DCC. She said it would be a long discussion. We went to her house where her husband was working on the garage. They said I could leave by using the garage door, but the door would not stay open long enough for me to get out of the garage.

I've had my fair share of DCC dreams too. I'm in uniform and out on the field but I don't belong there and I wonder if anyone can see me. I wonder if I can hide behind the poms and I don't know how to get off the field. Kind of like when Michaele Salahi from Housewives of DC went out with the Redskins alumni but she never actually cheered for the Redskins. Yeah. That happened.

• Love 4

Ran out of gas while driving to an appointment this morning. First time ever. No cell phone or money for gas. A business near the area where my car died let me use their phone to call my husband who luckily was at home when I called. I just hope I do not have a weird dream tonight about me running out of gas and being late for an appointment with Kelli or late for TC. Ha!

(edited)
43 minutes ago, karendlt said:

How do people edit their replies? I wanted to edit something I wrote, but I don't see any options for that. :S

Use the "pencil" below your comment...on the far left.

Edited by Tootie
25 minutes ago, Tootie said:

Use the "pencil" below your comment...on the far left.

thank you! I do see the pencil on this most recent comment but on some I can't see it. Oh well! lol

4 hours ago, karendlt said:

thank you! I do see the pencil on this most recent comment but on some I can't see it. Oh well! lol

I believe you only have a certain amount of time to edit.  Then the pencil disappears and is no longer available.

• Love 1

I have never in my life asked for prayers.  There are too many people in this World who need your prayers more than I do.  But if you could please spare one small prayer for me in the coming weeks, I would greatly appreciate it.  Thank you PTV/CMT:MTT community.

• Love 13
2 hours ago, California Girl said:

I have never in my life asked for prayers.  There are too many people in this World who need your prayers more than I do.  But if you could please spare one small prayer for me in the coming weeks, I would greatly appreciate it.  Thank you PTV/CMT:MTT community.

Sending prayers your way.  

• Love 1
(edited)

Happy 4th of July to all of you! I’m so grateful to be an American (no matter how much craziness is going on now)! 

As Americans, we are resilient; we are a wonderful mix of cultures, shared core values, a celebration of individuals that know how to come together when it gets serious. 

I will never forget 9/12/01-everyone looked each other in the eye again; strangers gave each other empathetic, warm “we’ll get through this” smiles, and we celebrated our core. My wish for you all is a continued reclaiming of our core and a to enjoy a celebration of who we can be today. 

For our international friends today... please know that the heart of our young country is still here and I personally, would love to invite you to join a hot dog and fireworks whenever you are in my town. 

Edited by Taralightner
Fixed the date. How embarrassing
  • Love 2
On 5/26/2014 at 6:37 PM, JanetLand said:

Well, I have just been told that CRICKET features cheerleaders now. Cricket seems entirely too mellow for such a thing, but nevertheless, here is a sample. I guess you could go here if you've tried out for every other team in sports? At around 2:00, you will see one of the worst kick lines ever.

giggle....at least they are having fun?

• Love 2

OMG I had a dream last night that Marshall was in the room with me and a group of my friends and he was forcing me to get a makeover.I mean my friends actually held me down in the chair. I guess my fear is that I would look worse????  

This is how you know when you have been binge watching DCC MTT WAY too much!

I have to admit. They made me smile. What did Anthony Ramos say, an old southern saying; "Bless her heart." I like how they had 6 with purple poms and 4 with green. But who knows maybe Dollar General only had 4 green ones.

On 7/4/2018 at 8:08 AM, Taralightner said:

Happy 4th of July to all of you! I’m so grateful to be an American (no matter how much craziness is going on now)! 

As Americans, we are resilient; we are a wonderful mix of cultures, shared core values, a celebration of individuals that know how to come together when it gets serious. 

I will never forget 9/12/11- everyone looked each other in the eye again; strangers gave each other empathetic, warm “we’ll get through this” smiles, and we celebrated our core. My wish for you all is a continued reclaiming of our core and a to enjoy a celebration of who we can be today. 

For our international friends today... please know that the heart of our young country is still here and I personally, would love to invite you to join a hot dog and fireworks whenever you are in my town. 

9/12/11? What happened then?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Taralightner said:

It was the day after 9/11... everything looked and felt different the day after those attacks 

9/12/11 was one day after the TENTH anniversary of 9/11. 9/11 happened in 2001. I think you meant 9/12/01. Hope you had a nice day!

• Love 3
(edited)
27 minutes ago, AnnMichele said:

9/12/11 was one day after the TENTH anniversary of 9/11. 9/11 happened in 2001. I think you meant 9/12/01. Hope you had a nice day!

YES!  Lol I meant 2001, not 2011. Lol!!! I have a back injury that will require surgery... pain meds...how embarrassing! 

But, this forum is getting me through the boredom of being in bed, so thank you all for that. 

Edited by Taralightner
(edited)

Just how we do it... even conversationally, we say “August 4th” or Sept 22nd. 

We DO say “The 4th of July” but only to name THAT day because it has THAT specific title.

I rarely hear anyone talking about a date, with no significance, the way the rest of the world does it. 

On a lot of legal documents, we are asked to write it “on this ___ day of ____, 2018.. “ then we sign below.  

Official government forms are dated:  Day/ Month/ year. 

With that said, I’m sure there ARE some Americans that choose to write and say dates the European way, so anyone who is reading this, please know, I’m generalizing, and am aware that SOME may CHOOSE to do it differently. 

@Silverleaf- or what @TinyHands said. Lol

Edited by Taralightner
42 minutes ago, Silverleaf said:

Why do Americans do the date in that order? I mean you are all celebrating the 4th of July so why isn’t the format day/month/year?

Because we’re a backwards country that refuses to do things in a logical manner, I.e. dates and adopting the metric system. It’s embarrassing.?

• Love 5