Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

On 2/4/2017 at 5:04 PM, millennium said:

The Ruby Tuesday commercial with the white mother rapping at the salad bar, played in HEAVY rotation on CNN.  Beyond annoying.   

Straight up, I signed on to talk about this commercial. I swear I would tackle that woman. 

Another that bothers me is the Cheetos commercial where the dad starts singing, "Tell it to my heart." What in the world does that song have to do with Cheetos? Also, that song sucked back then so why bring it up again? It still sucks. That won't change even if a nerdy 40yr old strains his voice to sing two lines and then eats a  Cheeto. 

"My doctor says I have skittles pox". I don't think I need to go into how disgusting that commercial is on every single level.

• Love 10
On 2/5/2017 at 2:31 PM, Popples said:

This is my brother's awful wife, precisely. Their kids only eat little mini-muffins for breakfast. When their older son was 4 (now 14), she was feeding him a granola bar (which is nothing but sugar), but she told me I had to call them "Pop-Tarts."

He'd be better off not eating at all. 

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, Nowhere said:

Another that bothers me is the Cheetos commercial where the dad starts singing, "Tell it to my heart." What in the world does that song have to do with Cheetos? Also, that song sucked back then so why bring it up again? It still sucks.

I laugh at that commercial, because - like the Cheetos dad, apparently - Tell It To My Heart is one of those songs I must turn up and sing along to when it comes on in the car (Can't Fight Fate even more so; I guess Taylor Dayne is my jam).

• Love 8
On 2/5/2017 at 6:21 PM, millennium said:

All commercials related to urination and defecation.   Especially "Enjoy the go!" with that stupid bear boasting the toilet paper will leave you so clean you can wear your underwear a second day.   And VI-Poop, the toxin you spray around your host's toilet so they won't know you went Number Two under their roof.

Obviously we're on the same wavelength this week. I'm not sure if it's the same brand but the other toilet paper commercial with the British lady interviewing people who just took a shit is beyond disgusting. Even worse, she gives them the toilet paper and encourages said shit in the first place. I don't need to know when somebody takes a dump, nor do I want to know. You know what? Never mind. Next time I have company I am going to ask about their bum after they use my bathroom. I'd like to see how somebody actually reacts. Maybe I'll stand outside the bathroom with a video camera and a mic. Let's see if anybody says, "I have a happy feeling bum." Who describes their ass in this manner? Seriously I feel like I need air freshener every time I see this commercial. 

• Love 7
10 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I laugh at that commercial, because - like the Cheetos dad, apparently - Tell It To My Heart is one of those songs I must turn up and sing along to when it comes on in the car (Can't Fight Fate even more so; I guess Taylor Dayne is my jam).

Haha sorry. I had a feeling it would be somebody's jam and I'd hear about it lol.  I even wrote an apology in advance but then erased it. ?

• Love 1

"My doctor says I have skittles pox". I don't think I need to go into how disgusting that commercial is on every single level.

This reminded me of what happened when I went out for lunch today. Two older women sitting nearby were discussing an upcoming doctor's appt.

"Your left ear gets REALLY clogged with wax, so they'll have to drain it. Have you noticed that it's hard for you to hear things?"  

"What?"

"YOUR LEFT EAR GETS CLOGGED WITH WAX..."

Thanks, ladies. Made the feta cheese on my Greek salad taste extra waxy. 

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Nowhere said:

Another that bothers me is the Cheetos commercial where the dad starts singing, "Tell it to my heart." What in the world does that song have to do with Cheetos? Also, that song sucked back then so why bring it up again? It still sucks. That won't change even if a nerdy 40yr old strains his voice to sing two lines and then eats a  Cheeto. 

Maybe it was inspired by the other recent spot in which a dad painfully sings "Take These Broken Wings" to his momentarily unhappy daughter.   Can't have kids experiencing even an instant of distress these days.   Thank God we have Alexa to save us all. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Ilovecomputers said:

This reminded me of what happened when I went out for lunch today. Two older women sitting nearby were discussing an upcoming doctor's appt.

"Your left ear gets REALLY clogged with wax, so they'll have to drain it. Have you noticed that it's hard for you to hear things?"  

"What?"

"YOUR LEFT EAR GETS CLOGGED WITH WAX..."

Thanks, ladies. Made the feta cheese on my Greek salad taste extra waxy. 

I saw a commercial just yesterday for some thingmabob you stick in your ear and REMOVE MORE WAX THAN EVER BEFORE!  It had a Joey Tribbiani type who hurts himself trying to use a Q-tip while the voiceover says something like Just insert and rotate.  Patented earwig technology grabs the wax and rips it out!   Then they stop people on the street to try it who are astonished: "I have never pulled out so much wax before!"   Wow, maybe you can make a candle. 

Edited by millennium
  • Love 7
On 2/6/2017 at 2:30 PM, proserpina65 said:

The one lady is already at the pharmacy counter getting a prescription when the commercial starts.  The other one joins her and they add the sunscreen to the prescription and pay for it all together.  I see that happen at the Walmart pharmacy all the time.

I wouldn't want to either, but I've got nothing against those who do.

For me, it's the fact that they're wearing beach cover-ups in Walgreens, and apparently nothing else underneath. At the Food Lion in the beach town I stay in, they prohibit beachware, so I feel guilty when I wear a fully covering cover-up over my bathing suit. I wouldn't dream of going commando in the grocery store or Walgreens.

• Love 3
On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 5:12 PM, Brattinella said:

Especially since the bears don't wear any clothing at all.

What I hate most about the 2-day underwear bear commercial is it makes me think of bare-assed bears sitting on furniture.  I don't care how well they wipe.  I will not take a seat if offered.

• Love 12
9 hours ago, mmecorday said:

I don't mind Oprah Winfrey that much, but the Weight Watchers commercial in which she declares "I LOVE CHIPS!" makes me Stabby McStabberson. I guess chips are the new bread for her.

I think Oprah is amazing. What she came from and to have amassed such an empire is nothing short of incredible--yes, even in our "post-racial" times (HA HA HA). But her talking about how she "LOVES CHIPS!!!" gives me secondhand embarrassment. Granted, she can say and act however she wants, and has worked for that right. I just wish she wouldn't act in a way that gives any doubter fodder to call her anything but a warrior woman. I have complicated feelings about this commercial.

• Love 6
8 hours ago, Bastet said:

I actually love that commercial! I'm not usually a fan of Cheetos ads, but I like seeing his kids rocking out in the backseat. For some reason, it makes me a giggle to think they all take turns  singing their jams. 

• Love 3
10 hours ago, bilgistic said:

I think Oprah is amazing. What she came from and to have amassed such an empire is nothing short of incredible--yes, even in our "post-racial" times (HA HA HA). But her talking about how she "LOVES CHIPS!!!" gives me secondhand embarrassment. Granted, she can say and act however she wants, and has worked for that right. I just wish she wouldn't act in a way that gives any doubter fodder to call her anything but a warrior woman. I have complicated feelings about this commercial.

I have complicated feelings too. I may not dig everything Oprah does, but I respect and admire what she has accomplished. But every time I see those Weight Watchers ads, so haphazardly assembled and trying so hard to warm and fuzzy I get all irritated. Especially when she says, "Aren't you glad you did it?" and then two seconds later, "We're doiiiiinnnnnngggg iiiiitt!" I just can't take it. 

• Love 7
21 hours ago, mmecorday said:

I don't mind Oprah Winfrey that much, but the Weight Watchers commercial in which she declares "I LOVE CHIPS!" makes me Stabby McStabberson. I guess chips are the new bread for her.

Yeah, the way she says it is annoying - just like the "I love bread" statement.

• Love 3

I hate that chip ad too, I feel like she should be opening those chips in black and white in the "before" part of an infomercial.

You remind me of the night I dropped an ice cube on the floor while struggling like a dope to twist it out of the tray. My BF picked it up just as I unleashed an entire avalanche made up of the rest of them. He looked at me and said, "You should be in black and white right now."

Also, re. infomercials and Billy Mays: if you haven't, look up Jaboody Dubs on YouTube. The parodies of those are so funny. I particularly love the ones for the Gopher stick and Orange Glo. The Slap Chop one is good too.

It is bad enough that we have to suffer with a useless & annoying product like Amazon Echo. Now we have what looks like a piece of junk called Google Home. As if we need more ways to make people even more lazy & useless than they already are. BTW, that Google Home commercial sucked.

Haha, it also made viewers' Google Homes go crazy and start turning off lights and stuff!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 2

And then she conquers Grand Cayman. I'm sorry, but if you're on the Open Sea, you're not anchored off Grand Cayman.

I read that the first time as the Grand Canyon. What an odd thing to say, I thought, of course the Grand Canyon is no where near open sea. 

Marshawn whatever and Skittles? I had no clue who he was, he could have been some Disney star, a boy bander, a rapper, or something else and I still wouldn't have known who he was. Oh, he's a football player, how nice. And he likes Skittles, how nice. I only like the berry ones in the purple bag, I call them purple Skittles. And, I'm old.

Nowhere, please report how it goes when you stand outside your bathroom with camera and mic and ask guests about their "go" and their bums. If you don't get slapped with a lawsuit, that is.

Haven't seen the Cheetos commercial, so have no comments. But I kind of like the dad singing to his momentarily broken hearted daughter and still laugh when he has the sprinklers turned on the boyfriend. He's just trying to cheer her up.

I have no clue why I would want one of those things like Suri or Siri or Alexa or whatever, seems useless to me, but I asked a friend and she loves hers, says one things it helps her with is changing measurements from metric to inches, she sews and does a lot of miniatures, so I can see that. She also likes to tell it dumb jokes.

My nephew talked me into buying one of those earwax removal things. Apparently, I'm too dumb to use it. Or I have no earwax. Actually, I think my ear canal is too small because I've had to get my ears cleaned at the Dr's office. I've told my sister she needs to have it done the next time she goes, she can't hear diddly squat. Overall, for me, not worth the money.

• Love 1

I saw a commercial just yesterday for some thingmabob you stick in your ear and REMOVE MORE WAX THAN EVER BEFORE!  It had a Joey Tribbiani type who hurts himself trying to use a Q-tip while the voiceover says something like Just insert and rotate.

This commercial was heavily discussed/mocked when it first began airing. The hilarious part is the guy who cries out "Owwww!" - so ridiculously over the top! Maybe don't stick things into your ear that hard and that far if you're that dumb.

• Love 4
On 2/5/2017 at 8:47 AM, peacheslatour said:

Woodstock was in 1969, let's say they were 20 then, that would make them 68 now. How old do you think those ladies are?

I don't know, they look late 60s / early 70s to me. Like most of the retired people I know. They may have white hair and wrinkles, but they appear healthy.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, ennui said:

I don't know, they look late 60s / early 70s to me. Like most of the retired people I know. They may have white hair and wrinkles, but they appear healthy.

That's what I think. I was replying to OP who remarked that the world was so repressive when the ladies were young they never got a chance to skinny dip or whatever. My point was that they weren't from the Victorian era or something. These ladies are of an age that they were young during the Sexual Revolution and were hardly from a more repressed time.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Yeah, but the music is "Solfeggio," made famous by the Nairobi Trio on the Ernie Kovacs Show...

Jack Lemmon was one of the guys in the trio.

OMG!  Thank you for finding this!  I used to watch Ernie Kovacs as a kid and I loved to see this bit with the monkeys.  I was trying to remember the name of the song and I was surprised that they're using it in the new commercial. 

I feel like a kid again!

Also, I never knew Jack Lemmon was one of the monkeys.  

Edited by Ohwell
Added something
  • Love 3
On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 2:36 PM, Bastet said:

So glad I am not the only one.  I totally rock out to that song when it comes on (mostly on the 80s station on Sirius XM).  It's definitely one of my jam-a-lams.  Therefore, I like that commercial. Love the "nailed it" at the end. 

I don't mind the Walgreens ad at all.  And I'm feeling their excitement in this ad. They ended up having a topless beach at our resort in Jamaica and it was sort of liberating to be on a mostly deserted beach and be "free." Anywho, I think these women in the ad are very attractive and don't look "elderly" at all. MY MIL is in great shape and super active and is 65; and they look younger than her.  I'd estimate them to be in their early 60s; possibly even late 50s.   

• Love 4

After moving to East TN 8 years ago, I developed allergies that I'd never had before in my life. Along with that, I started having fluid buildup in my ears, especially the right one. After 3 tubes and a burst ear drum, it got much better. However, I still have to see my ENT to have wax removed. I'll notice that my hearing has decreased, have my ears cleaned out and then I hear perfectly. She said she has many patients who come in 2-3 times a year to have wax extraction. Apparently, as we age, our ears don't clean themselves naturally the way they always have done. I'm just grateful that there's a simple procedure to take care of this problem. 

• Love 4
11 hours ago, frenchtoast said:

I have complicated feelings too. I may not dig everything Oprah does, but I respect and admire what she has accomplished. But every time I see those Weight Watchers ads, so haphazardly assembled and trying so hard to warm and fuzzy I get all irritated. Especially when she says, "Aren't you glad you did it?" and then two seconds later, "We're doiiiiinnnnnngggg iiiiitt!" I just can't take it. 

My mother lost about 70 pounds many years ago with Weight Watchers when they first had the points system. (She has since gained the weight back.) I asked her back then what they learned at the meetings.

I asked if they learned about nutrition, like how complex carbohydrates will keep you fuller than simple carbohydrates, which should be eaten in moderation. She asked me what a complex carbohydrate is. In summation, I gathered that Weight Watchers teaches people to count, not how to eat better.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

ope to twist it out of the tray. My BF picked it up just as I unleashed an entire avalanche made up of the rest of them. He looked at me and said, "You should be in black and white right now."

Marry him. He is a gem in a world of cubic zirconia. 

• Love 8
2 hours ago, bilgistic said:

My mother lost about 70 pounds many years ago with Weight Watchers when they first had the points system. (She has since gained the weight back.) I asked her back then what they learned at the meetings.

I lost over 50 lbs on the old WW system and kept it off for 5 years. I have gained about 30 back. But you are correct about the old system--you could use those points anyway you wanted. So have that piece of chocolate cake and a glass of wine but just keep track of your points. The points seemed crazy--an apple was 2 or 3 points which was considerable for a day's allowance. I do get tired of Marie Osmond-- who has had extensive plastic surgery--Oprah and other celebrities talking about how easy it is to lose weight and keep it off. These celebrities have personal chefs who can certainly help prepare healthier meals. Let's talk to working women (stay at home included) with households to run at the end of a long week.  Who wants a crunchy salad with just a hint of vinegar and the scent of chicken, and who wants a slice of pizza with the kids?

In the end, I just got tired of tracking every damn thing I put in my mouth while the world around me laughed and cavorted and had a good time. 

• Love 8

Oh dear, there is a new Heineken commercial with Neil Patrick Harris (the one where he tries to "hypnotize" you with a beer bottle) and, can I just say . . . he is not aging well at all. I've noticed this about many people who are typically described as having a "baby face" - they tend to start looking much older prematurely. I was kind of shocked, like he almost looked sick or something.

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Oh dear, there is a new Heineken commercial with Neil Patrick Harris (the one where he tries to "hypnotize" you with a beer bottle) and, can I just say . . . he is not aging well at all. I've noticed this about many people who are typically described as having a "baby face" - they tend to start looking much older prematurely. I was kind of shocked, like he almost looked sick or something.

I think hi-def is not friendly to many people. I sort of forget that he's almost as old as I am, so I should be way more forgiving of him having some wrinkles, but...dang. I was shocked at how he looked in Gone Girl after having Doogie Howser in my brain for so long.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

Men! Amiright?

He claimed I asked a question ("Are you feeling better?") "like an accusation"! What? Meanwhile, he was texting his boss, who called him a "pussy" for not braving the snow to head to work. Methinks his ire was a wee bit misguided! Must pawn him!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 7

I think hi-def is not friendly to many people. I sort of forget that he's almost as old as I am, so I should be way more forgiving of him having some wrinkles, but...dang. I was shocked at how he looked in Gone Girl after having Doogie Howser in my brain for so long.

But I've seen him in all the Heineken commercials he's done so far and it's only in the most recent one where he looks noticeably older. It's like an overnight transformation. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

But I've seen him in all the Heineken commercials he's done so far and it's only in the most recent one where he looks noticeably older. It's like an overnight transformation. 

I believe people age in lurches, not slowly and gradually. You go along, looking a certain way, and then a gear slips, and you age a lot all at once. And then you go along like that for a while, until the next lurch.

• Love 11
3 minutes ago, ennui said:

I believe people age in lurches, not slowly and gradually. You go along, looking a certain way, and then a gear slips, and you age a lot all at once. And then you go along like that for a while, until the next lurch.

I completely agree.

• Love 7
10 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Meanwhile, he was texting his boss, who called him a "pussy" for not braving the snow to head to work.

Grrr! to using pussy as an insult. Had he possessed an actual pussy, his ass would have been out of bed and halfway to work. 

• Love 17

Hahahahaa! Yes (though I didn't go to work either). I don't even care too much about that kind of name-calling, at least when people have that type of relationship or whatever (I mean, it's not ideal, of course, but that's their thing), but good lord, if it bugs you (you = my BF), scold them not me!

• Love 4