Type keyword(s) to search

The $100,000 Pyramid - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 7/24/2018 at 10:35 AM, Orillia said:

I like Michael as a host because he seems to really like the game and when someone misses the word he tries to come up with clues that would have helped.

I like Michael a lot as the host but it kind of annoys me when he (and Dick Clark before him) offers up clues after a team has failed at a round - almost as if to say, if I gave you a better clue than the one your partner gave, would you have gotten it then? It just seems to rub salt in the wound that either the giver didn't provide a great clue or the guesser wasn't smart enough to recognize the word/category.

On 7/30/2018 at 1:02 PM, iMonrey said:

I did appreciate that Diggs gave the correct responses in the winners circle, like "things that are ..." and "what a so-and-so would say" rather than just one-word responses. It bugs the hell out of me when they do that and the judges give it to them anyway.

This bothers me too! You can tell when the celebrity actually knows the game because they'll phrase their answers in the Winner's Circle properly. The judging in the Winner's Circle seems too easy by allowing one-word responses because it doesn't always account for the context of the category. Like last week, one of the categories was something like 'Things used by a clown', and the contestant was listing things worn by a clown, not used. But saying 'clown' was good enough to give it to them even though they didn't actually guess the full category description. 

• Love 6
48 minutes ago, bamlouie said:

I like Michael a lot as the host but it kind of annoys me when he (and Dick Clark before him) offers up clues after a team has failed at a round - almost as if to say, if I gave you a better clue than the one your partner gave, would you have gotten it then? It just seems to rub salt in the wound that either the giver didn't provide a great clue or the guesser wasn't smart enough to recognize the word/category.

I'm okay with it. It just seems like part of the game. We do at home too, either yell out or just think of better clues. I'm sure the contestants accept that (and do it at home too if they're viewers). 

• Love 6
38 minutes ago, bamlouie said:

I don't think I've ever seen anyone do it in a mean spirited way. They're just trying to come up with other clues. I think it shows how much they like the game. I've seen them keep talking about it even as they go to commercial. It's one of the things that make this game so good ... the quest for the perfect clue.

• Love 2

ABC studios, I order you to take whatever film of the Terrell Owens/Gayle King match you have, place it atop a giant pyre, soak with kerosene, burn the whole thing to the ground, and then salt the earth where the ashes lay.  Excruciatingly bad play with idiot contestants and idiot celebrities.  I sentence all four of them to six head-knocks and a boot in the ass.  And does anyone want to place an over-under on whether or not that Woolly Willie lookalike contestant showed up drunk?  Shave and a haircut (two bits), you doof.

Edited by DasFlavorPup
  • Love 12

Oh wow, tonight’s second show. OMG I think that bartender? Was high! Gayle King is a moron or out of touch with reality (or high)! Lol. That woman contestant was a “rhymes with witch”. I felt scared for Terrell there, she did everything but roll her eyes at him. 

• Love 2
Just now, Orillia said:

That last half was the worst I've ever seen. If there's ever a category "Celebrities who suck at this game "  those two would be on it.

The contestants were out to lunch too. 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Rabithed said:

Oh wow, tonight’s second show. OMG I think that bartender? Was high! Gayle King is a moron or out of touch with reality (or high)! Lol. That woman contestant was a “rhymes with witch”. I felt scared for Terrell there, she did everything but roll her eyes at him. 

I thought it was very rich of her to talk down to TO given her own game play.  Like the way she said "oysters" as if corn were a bad clue.  It's not.  It was the first thing I thought of.  Not that oysters would be a bad clue but it doesn't automatically make it a better clue.  But even worse was the clues she was giving for Express.  A store? C'mon. (Yes, I do know it's a store but still, given the category, wouldn't something like non-stop or super fast be more relevant?)

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Rabithed said:

Gayle: "She's married to Donald Trump"

Male contestant: "Oh, Mah-MMMMMMM"

Me: "The current first lady, ya dumbass!"

• Love 5
Just now, Irlandesa said:

I thought it was very rich of her to talk down to TO given her own game play.  Like the way she said "oysters" as if corn were a bad clue.  It's not.  It was the first thing I thought of.  Not that oysters would be a bad clue but it doesn't automatically make it a better clue.  But even worse was the clues she was giving for Express.  A store? C'mon. (Yes, I do know it's a store but still, given the category, wouldn't something like non-stop or super fast be more relevant?)

Yes she really rubbed me the wrong way. I usually enjoy the show and get a kick out of the celebs and contestants. She also did that “hey, eyes over here” thing at TO at one point. I felt bad for him. 

• Love 2
Just now, Rabithed said:

That guy was too much. If he wins the 50 , he's going to open a bar but if he wins the 100 he's going to go on a trip ? I did kind of like the woman giving Terrell a rough time about his lousy clues.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, rmcrae said:

I can't yell at him for that one. He blanked, but got it in time.

• Love 1
On 2018-07-30 at 10:38 PM, TAG42481 said:

I also had to come give Leslie Jones some love.  I think she was on the Match Game two years ago, and she was angry at the other celebrities for not taking the game seriously enough.  That girl COMPETES.  So I know how much it means to HER to try to help the contestants out, so that's why I was so happy to see her win - to see how happy it made her.

That Match Game with Leslie Jones is my all time favorite episode. I was in tears laughing at her trying to get everyone to take it seriously. She so wanted the contestants to win. It was endearing. 

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, rmcrae said:

I ain't gonna lie, I cackled at that. 

7 minutes ago, Orillia said:

I did kind of like the woman giving Terrell a rough time about his lousy clues.

He should have given it right back to her. 

Terrible players all around in the second game.  I mean Vanessa Lachay had some duh moments in the first round but it was nothing compared to the second. (The one contestant in the first round also wasn't great but better than the second round peeps.)

And Gayle King needs to calm down.  She was as bad as one of the contestants last week with every answer is a big production. 

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 2

I thought it was a judging fail to not give Gayle King credit for saying baptize instead of baptism when they allow other “close enough” answers. But the entire game was so stinky anyway, one point wouldn’t have made a difference. 

• Love 3

ABC studios, I order you to take whatever film of the Terrell Owens/Gayle King match you have, place it atop a giant pyre, soak with kerosene, burn the whole thing to the ground, and then salt the earth where the ashes lay.  Excruciatingly bad play with idiot contestants and idiot celebrities.  I sentence all four of them to six head-knocks and a boot in the ass.  And does anyone want to place an over-under on whether or not that Woolly Willie lookalike contestant showed up drunk?  Shave and a haircut (two bits), you doof.

Now now, they weren't that bad. But . . . LOL on your post. (OK . . . Gayle King was pretty damn bad, right up there with some of the worst celebs they've ever had. Terrell Owens was just so-so.)

I laughed that the only famous British person that guy could think of was Benedict Cumberbatch. What about, oh I don't know, The Queen? I'm hard-pressed to come up with "things that are hatched" besides baby chicks though. 

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 4

I dvr this show (along with many others) and have deleted several episodes this year after watching the first few minutes.  I agree with others that they need to get celebrities who understand the game and show an ability to do well on it.  It is just too frustrating for me to watch the dismal performances of some of the celebrities they have on the show (there are others that are just fabulous).  

• Love 3

I think it's interesting how well Nick Lachey did in the first round and then how poorly he did, comparatively, in the next. So chemistry between the players is definitely a factor as well. 

• Love 4
18 hours ago, rmcrae said:

I'm afraid on a game show I'd be like that guy. I would just blank out. He knew her, but just blanked.

17 hours ago, DietCokeJunkie said:

I thought it was a judging fail to not give Gayle King credit for saying baptize instead of baptism when they allow other “close enough” answers. 

Right. In the previous game they allowed 'advertisement' instead of 'ad' even thought the category was about words you could make new words from by adding one letter to the beginning. Badvertisement? Sheesh.

16 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Oh forgot to mention that I did love the moment in the first pyramid game with Nick said they were "in sync" and the contestant said "48 degrees."

Clever.

98 Degrees, but yes, that was quick.

Nick Lachey was pretty good. I don't know much about him, but I was pleasantly surprised. When 'necklace' popped up I said to myself, "Please don't say neck." Rats.

I got tired real fast of Vanessa. Plus she wasn't very good.

Tula seemed a bit dense. I also couldn't stand the dancing. Unfortunately that seems to be a thing now.

Jamie was very good. I'm sorry she didn't win the big prize. 'Crust' is a hard one. Instead of just bread, maybe saying a loaf of French bread. I wonder if "an old sailor" would have worked. Then in her second Winner's Circle, for sloppy things she was stuck in the food category. Gayle actually nearly got it, but I would have said "a teenager's bedroom," maybe even "seconds," though that might not work. "A sandwich named Joe" doesn't seem allowable, but I guess I'm wrong.

In the second ep, Gayle was mucho annoying. I've never really liked her in anything. I'll just add this show to another thing in which she annoys me. She laughed too much. She gave clues too slowly and in a roundabout way. For instance, the First Ladies category wasn't really that tough. "Married to Bill Clinton." Just say "Clinton." Just say "Obama." And so on. If her partner wasn't getting it, then add more detail.

I like Terrell though he wasn't a fantastic player. Better than Gayle. Better personality. In the Winner's Circle when Nick was flustered and kept laughing, I liked that Terrell was reassuring him and telling him it was ok.

I liked Nick. It never occurred to me that he might be high, though that would explain the giggling. I did not like Michelle. Her telling Terrell to look at her was bad, esp since Terrell was listening to Michael. Loved Terrell's reaction though. Her clues for 'ditch' weren't great, but I'm not sure what I would have said. I guess Terrell should have gotten it from "digging a..." But when he didn't, she didn't say anything helpful.

BTW, what did Nick say in the Winner's Circle for Types of Tables. After "a dining" I thought he said, "a wooden work."

Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 2

A sandwich named Joe" doesn't seem allowable, but I guess I'm wrong.

I thought that was iffy too but technically it's allowed because there's no qualifying modifier. You can only list things so "a sandwich named Joe" is a thing. "A sandwich that has loose meet and sauce" would not be allowed. 

In the second ep, Gayle was mucho annoying. I've never really liked her in anything. 

I've long been of the opinion that she would still be an unknown local news anchor (and retired by now) if she weren't friends with Oprah. I did think it was kind of funny the way she was yelling the answers when she wasn't the clue giver.

BTW, what did Nick say in the Winner's Circle for Types of Tables. After "a dining" I thought he said, "a wooden work."

Yeah that's what he said, I think he was going for "work table," but usually that's referred to as a "work bench."

• Love 1
On 7/30/2018 at 7:16 PM, peeayebee said:

For Things Made of Glass, the contestant (Jesse?) got Taye Diggs confused by starting with a drink tumbler. (I think that's what he said.) And then he couldn't think of anything else made of glass! "A wine goblet, a window pane, a boxer's jaw, a fake diamond."

I was saying "eyewear"!

Boy they really got a bunch of dummies on these last couple of shows. Emmett was the worst. Who gets a clue like "monsters" and can't even think of Frankenstein? And what about the lady who couldn't even think of any famous songs? Wow.

This has come up before, but if the answer is "Twitter" I don't think they should be able to say "Tweet" as the clue. Isn't that essentially a form of the word? It's like using "ran" for the word "running."

• Love 3
25 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Boy they really got a bunch of dummies on these last couple of shows. Emmett was the worst. Who gets a clue like "monsters" and can't even think of Frankenstein? And what about the lady who couldn't even think of any famous songs? Wow.

Really makes you wonder what the interview process is like. 

• Love 5

That was the aforementioned Emmett. "People named Obama" and he says Bin Laden. 

Really makes you wonder what the interview process is like. 

Me too. I've heard that the celebrities practice with the producers for "a day" (which, you know, could be anywhere from 2 to 8 hours) but I don't know about the contestants. They sure has hell don't seem to have to qualify by trying out, like they do on Jeopardy.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 2

It took about 12 or 13 seconds for him to get Obama........ a word that should have taken 2 seconds at the most. And I'm being generous. Not that I'm defending that guy , but he had to have misread it as Osama. All that dancing drives me crazy. Just play the game.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

And what about the lady who couldn't even think of any famous songs? Wow.

They only had to say song and they would have given it them. To get Famous Songs might have been tougher.

I think that guy who had the three month?  week? old baby at home should have been given a pass for a later filming date.  The poor guy auditioned all rested and brilliant and came to the taping with sleep-deprived baby brain.  You could see it in his eyes...

• Love 2
2 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

I think that guy who had the three month?  week? old baby at home should have been given a pass for a later filming date.  The poor guy auditioned all rested and brilliant and came to the taping with sleep-deprived baby brain.  You could see it in his eyes...

How true, and the woman who can't pass on a question and has to have Michael tell her she can pass. I mean even when she was at the winning circle. She wasted over 15 seconds on the one clue. I mean, if they are not getting it after almost 8 seconds. Move on. 

I have seen episodes where Kathy Najimy has killed it in the past, but they need to retire the "greatest player ever" title they keep introducing her with. The episodes she has been on this season have been horrendous, she clearly either believes her own hype and thinks she can do no wrong (which trips her up), or has just lost a step. Did she and the female contestant get like 2 or 3 answers in one round? You can almost see the gears moving in her head as she gives or answers the clues, it's painful.

As for the male contestant with baby brain (Evan) there was a good Twitter thread I saw this morning where he explained his brain fog on the Obama question, if I was better at twitter I'd try to find it and link it - can anyone do that?

Edited by Gabby929
clarity
55 minutes ago, Gabby929 said:

As for the male contestant with baby brain (Evan) there was a good Twitter thread I saw this morning where he explained his brain fog on the Obama question, if I was better at twitter I'd try to find it and link it - can anyone do that?

Here it is - So. This is me below. Racist $100,000 Pyramid Guy. Let me tell you the story about perhaps the most embarrassing moment of my life. #KillMe (Thread 1/13)

• Love 3
35 minutes ago, LizDC said:

I think this is a bit of revisionist history.  He's had time to think of a good excuse (even though baby brain is a perfectly good one already).  Why would you think "you can't just say Barak"?  That's EXACTLY what you hope would happen.  One guess and move on to the next one!

• Love 1

I have seen episodes where Kathy Najimy has killed it in the past, but they need to retire the "greatest player ever" title they keep introducing her with. The episodes she has been on this season have been horrendous, she clearly either believes her own hype and thinks she can do no wrong (which trips her up), or has just lost a step. Did she and the female contestant get like 2 or 3 answers in one round? You can almost see the gears moving in her head as she gives or answers the clues, it's painful.

She's definitely had some bad luck the last couple of times she's played. I think a lot of it has to do with chemistry though - you need to be matched up with the right player and working on the same wavelength. If she's getting bad clues she's not going to guess the right answer, and if she's got a dumb partner who can't guess the right answer that's not really her fault. I can't think of any specific time she just gave a bad clue - but it's possible she didn't give a second or third and stuck with just the one she was using, which is almost just as bad.

As for the male contestant with baby brain (Evan) there was a good Twitter thread I saw this morning where he explained his brain fog on the Obama question,

I could have sworn his name was Emmett so thanks. But . . . if what he's saying on Twitter is true that kind of just makes it worse. The subject was clear enough, "people named Obama," not "people associated with Obama." He'd have been better off saying he misread the clue and thought it said "people named Osama." That's more understandable.

He'd have been better off saying he misread the clue and thought it said "people named Osama." That's more understandable.

I'd be in trouble with that category if my partner didn't get it with "Bin Laden"

I could have sworn his name was Emmett so thanks

One of my kids is an Evan so that's why I remembered. :)

4 hours ago, iMonrey said:

She's definitely had some bad luck the last couple of times she's played. I think a lot of it has to do with chemistry though - you need to be matched up with the right player and working on the same wavelength. If she's getting bad clues she's not going to guess the right answer, and if she's got a dumb partner who can't guess the right answer that's not really her fault. I can't think of any specific time she just gave a bad clue - but it's possible she didn't give a second or third and stuck with just the one she was using, which is almost just as bad.

I don't know, to me she just isn't as sharp anymore. But I agree that the caliber of contestants this season has gone down the drain, or the clues are too hard, not sure. I remember in prior seasons it was rare NOT to get a perfect round, now it's the exception.

I really liked Nico Santos from the first game. He's so funny on Superstore, and here he was a good player. Ken Jeong was driving me nuts with how low-key he was receiving clues, like he was having deep thoughts. 

The contestant, Pat, was a little too hyper for me. Calm down, Pat. The other contestant, Susan, was really good.

I thought for Things You Practice: a musical instrument, piano scales, your golf swing. Even here at home I drew a blank for Things With Bumps. I got stuck on a golf ball, though of course that was dimples, not bumps. Maybe instead of a dirt road, a rough road would have been better. But sheesh, I'm trying to think of a fruit or vegetable with bumps. I got nothing.

I liked Tim Meadows. Kathy surprised me with how poorly she did, though I did like that she referenced The Galloping Gourmet. As Alex Trebek would say, that was before Allie's time.

Boy, Emily had rotten luck in that first game. I wish they'd stop having Bobby Moynihan on the show, he was really bad last time too. And Jon Lovitz looked like he would have rather been anywhere else. He's a terrible clue giver - if the contestant doesn't guess right with the first clue he just waves his hands around looking irritated instead of trying something else. Like when he said "covering a candy bar" for "chocolate." That was a terrible clue (he could have said "not vanilla") but instead he just kept waving his hands. And he sure didn't want to be hugged after helping that guy win $50K either. Seems like a real jerk. 

Ken Marino and Andy Richter kissed each other on the lips when they were introduced. It struck me how far we've come in the last 30 years. Two straight men just doing something for laughs, nobody bats an eye. 30 years ago that wouldn't even have been allowed on TV. 

"Types of nuts" is a category that has tripped up contestants more than once. I don't know why people can't think of nuts. Cashews, Planters, pecans . . . I guess kids these days just don't eat nuts. 

"Types of closets" has to be the weirdest, hardest category I've ever seen. I can't even think of one, except maybe armoire.  

• Love 4

I really enjoyed the last show. It is nice when people actually think about their clues...well, except for Pizza Hut...wish she had slowed down and said Papa John's, Little Caesar, Hungry Howies but I am sitting at home with no pressure! After thinking about it, for types of closets I thought of linen, pantry, clothes, shoes but that was not spur of the moment! The clue I found hardest was vaseline...really not that easy a word to work with in my opinion. I really liked the guy in the first round who won everything...Wow!

• Love 2

The clue I found hardest was vaseline...really not that easy a word to work with in my opinion. 

It's the brand name for petroleum jelly, but if you can't think of the words "petroleum jelly" you'd be stuck. I'd also say it was used for a lubricant but then people would probably think KY Jelly or some such.

Yeah, I think petroleum jelly was the only way to get vaseline. It was a tough one.

"Types of closets" has to be the weirdest, hardest category I've ever seen.  

Ditto. 

1 hour ago, suebee12 said:

After thinking about it, for types of closets I thought of linen, pantry, clothes, shoes but that was not spur of the moment! 

Ah. Thanks. Those are good ones. 

I really like Andy Richter. He's smart and calm. I liked how he worked his way to Military Branches after starting with Armed Forces. He's very logical.

I noticed that Michael asked Ken Marino and the contestant at their third turn which one was going to give the clues. I hadn't heard him ask that in a long time. In fact, it's seemed like the contestant has had to give the clues at the third turn. I like when they can choose, like the good ol' days.

Ken Marino started out really good, though his slouching was weird and kinda annoying, but he seemed to lose his way somehow.

56 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

It's the brand name for petroleum jelly, but if you can't think of the words "petroleum jelly" you'd be stuck. I'd also say it was used for a lubricant but then people would probably think KY Jelly or some such.

Yes, petroleum jelly which I couldn't think of even tho' I know that! And I wonder how lubricant would have been accepted except for the fact, circumcision was used so I guess most anything goes now!

And I wonder what the last two clues were in the "sex" category...Michael said he was glad that they didn't get to them!

Edited by suebee12

I noticed all 4 celebs made it to the winners circle yesterday and when the 'Things a ______ would say' category came up, all 4 said the complete and proper "Things a ______ would say" as the answer instead of just the one word. So either it was a coincidence, or the producers have started to talk to the celebs.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I wish they'd stop having Bobby Moynihan on the show, he was really bad last time too.

And here I was thinking he was good.  In the first game, the score was 21-20.  So I was thinking they were good.  I don't remember what happened in Part II.  Did everything fall apart?

• Love 1

I think good players are subjective.  I enjoy it as long as the person seems to care and try.  It seems like the expectations are a bit high for the current celebrities.  At best, they play 6 rounds, three with each contestant who they may or may not gel with, and perhaps a few behind the scenes practice rounds.  In earlier versions, the celebrities were usually on for an entire week and often were recurrent guests so that had a chance to get better.  Also, anyone can have an off topic or category that doesn’t work for them.  Hell, I remember Betty White had a round where they got only 1 or 2 right, and she was a good player

Edited by Fable
  • Love 1

For closets I thought of .....bedroom , hallway and walk-in.

At least Moynihan started acting out hand gestures instead of trying to describe them. so much easier.

I think the hardest category I've ever seen was Things that are Enshrined. And they actually got it.

1 hour ago, Orillia said:

I think the hardest category I've ever seen was Things that are Enshrined. And they actually got it.

Yeah, during a tournament, no less - and you know it's hard when they use it as the last category there.  You can see it here (also kudos to them for getting "Things with Compartments"): https://youtu.be/EiXJ1h73tv4?t=350

Other doozies that the players actually got were "Things that Penetrate" and "Things that are Continued".  I swear that one time on an older version there was a "Things you Perceive" - THAT one they did not get.

Edited by DasFlavorPup
  • Love 1