Type keyword(s) to search

Death In Paradise - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I hadn't considered that Neville doesn't seem to hold it against them that they are total jerks to him most of the time. I get annoyed with the insulting looks to each other and their side eyes when they are encountering the new detective for the first time. Is it necessary to behave like "look at this joker what's his problem"? I find it truly annoying and they've done it with every detective. I know that's the point, it irks me!

I thought that the first time he met the commissioner was when Neville mistook him for his taxi driver? It was an innocent mistake, because, of course he didn't know what the commissioner looked like. That predisposed him to dislike Neville from that moment and it didn't help when he checked into the expensive hotel, nor with all his ailments and quirks. 

2 hours ago, kimaken said:

The commissioner respected, perhaps even liked Richard; he seemed to really like Humphrey and Jack (probably because they both readily embraced the island life), but I think it's going to take a little while for the commissioner to get passed Neville's oddities to fully appreciate hiss quirky methods of crime resolution.

Thus far, the commissioner has pretty much liked all the other detectives or at least tolerated them. I guess it was time to change that up. I don't especially like Neville (he grew on me a tiny bit over the season) but I don't like the way the commissioner treats with with thinly veiled contempt.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, msani19 said:

Thus far, the commissioner has pretty much liked all the other detectives or at least tolerated them. I guess it was time to change that up. I don't especially like Neville (he grew on me a tiny bit over the season) but I don't like the way the commissioner treats with with thinly veiled contempt.

Indeed--and I think this was done to change up the DiP formula a little bit--it gives the commissioner another side to his personality and gets us viewers to "root for the underdog", since all the derision and discontent shown to Neville makes him the underdog. Perhaps next season we'll see this turning around--Neville getting a better handle on his oddities and quirks and the commissioner gaining respect for Neville. The team, I think, is already starting to come around, especially with Neville making some attempts to enjoy the island. He can't help his allergies and medical issues, but he doesn't view Saint Marie with the same disdain that Richard did when he first arrived, which again, I think is just to show us viewers another "fish out of water" DI without being a complete retread of Richard's character.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, kimaken said:

He can't help his allergies and medical issues, but he doesn't view Saint Marie with the same disdain that Richard did when he first arrived, which again, I think is just to show us viewers another "fish out of water" DI without being a complete retread of Richard's character.

Exactly. 

The island attacked them both but Neville seems to not hold it against the island the same way he doesn't hold the Commissioner's jerkiness against him. 

I've only seen up to Season 9 so far but that's why I am a Neville supporter.  He has some of the original fish-out-of-water experience as Richard (who I adore) but he is far kinder and more empathetic.  He's got some Jack in him.   Richard cared about the mystery; Neville seems to care more about the people in the mystery.  He also seems more humble, if that makes sense?  

• Love 9

I have liked all of the DI's in this series, and each one brought their own spin to the role.  I, and other members of my family, have lived with various allergies all of my life, and I can appreciate some of the issues he has with being in a new environment, and having to deal with that along with a new job.  I think he alluded to yearning to be more like other people, but his allergies hold him back.  I'm empathizing with Neville.   

• Love 7
14 hours ago, Ms Lark said:

I still fail to see how Neville could have possibly gotten through Police training in the first place.

Good point! Hopefully we'll learn how he made it through police training next season or two (if Ralf Little stays on in this role). I recently rewatched the very first DiP epidsode where Dwayne called England to get whatever scoop or dirt on DI Poole, who'd just arrived to solve the murder of Charlie Hulme -- and he told Fidel that Poole's former colleagues threw a party for him--AFTER he left! That makes me wonder how Neville was with his former colleagues--was he liked and had friends among his co-workers, or was he treated as a weird outcast?

• Love 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, kimaken said:

That makes me wonder how Neville was with his former colleagues--was he liked and had friends among his co-workers, or was he treated as a weird outcast?

Given that his allergies and other ailments didn't just suddenly appear when he landed on the island. He was this way when he was in England. I can imagine his coworkers found him annoying. He's quirky even without the medical issues, but he a decent guy. I do like that about him, it's the combination all of his things that just ruins it for me. He could really improve in my opinion. I already like him a little more than I did in S9. Watch in a couple years when I start yelling about how much I love Neville 😄

I did see a cute clip from one of those British "chat shows" when he had just been announced as taking the part. He said his mother is a huge fan of the show and her advice to him was "please don't ruin my show"...no pressure at all! 

Edited by msani19
  • LOL 7
  • Love 2
On 5/10/2021 at 9:52 AM, izabella said:

You're right about that. 

And I was mad that they were upset with Neville since he had been on vacation when he was suddenly told he was the lead investigator and had to move from his hotel to an amenity-free shack that barely has running water for a shower and that turned him into a mosquito buffet.

The Commissioner, and the others, also had zero sympathy, understanding or patience with his medical sensitivities which made them assholes, as far as I was concerned.  He didn't apply for the job you dragged him into!  Infected bug bites are not his fault, nor are they a reason for derision, Commissioner!

I always liked the Commissioner and the Honore Police, but their treatment of Neville has been a major fail, IMO.  The only saving grace is Neville does not give a shit how insulting they are to him.  At least, he doesn't appear to.

I agree with you so much on this. It was really infuriating to me how unsympathetic and quite frankly, horrible, they were to Neville when it was CLEAR he wasn't making this up and it wasn't all in his head. His health problems are real and not made up, but they treated him (and continued to for a long time) like it was all in his head. I really hated that because it made them look like creeps.

• Love 8

Anybody else hate what they did to the Opening theme music? I had liked the old one so much I use it as a ringtone on my phone. The new one, meh. I don't like the slower version. We called it murder music.

• Love 10
19 hours ago, sadtvjunkie said:

Anybody else hate what they did to the Opening theme music? I had liked the old one so much I use it as a ringtone on my phone. The new one, meh. I don't like the slower version. We called it murder music.

I still like it, its still the same song. My husband hates it though. At least my late cat is no longer with us to hear the song or be made to dance to it. I'm not sure how he would feel. 

• LOL 1

So...I decided to turn on old DiP episodes as my background TV, starting at the beginning. I’d forgotten Fidel even existed, which is a damn shame, because he’s very likable.

The Commissioner is pretty much a dick to Poole in the beginning, insulting him and then manipulating him to stay. Camille and Richard also bickered, a lot. So what’s going on with Neville is pretty similar. However, the murders were much tighter, which is not unexpected 90+ episodes in. 

I do think Ben Miller is great in the role. He really brings it.

On a costuming note, they have Camille carrying around an ugly ass empty crossbody purse for absolutely no reason. Also she wears cutoffs in the office. 

• Love 2

Reading up on news about Tobi Bakare, Rosey was played by his real-life wife!

I, too, have gone back to the beginning to re-watch them all. Fidel's wife is pregnant. I really missed Fidel when JP showed up but watching these early shows reminds me of how much I really miss Dwayne.

• Love 8
6 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I really missed Fidel when JP showed up but watching these early shows reminds me of how much I really miss Dwayne.

Tell me about it! He's proven to be pretty irreplaceable, he managed to capture the light-hearted carefree attitude, with experience, and knowledge of the inner workings of the island. 

Ruby grew on me, but she was so irritating in the beginning. The less I say about MArlon the better. I guess I liked his fondness and eventual admiration for JP. Otherwise, no. 

• Love 7
(edited)

Marlon reminds me of a young Dwayne. I think that is what they wanted to go with. He has started to grow on me. I think he is smart and I think he will take the job more seriously as time goes on. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
31 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

On rewatch, I miss Dwayne so much. I hadn't realized just how much he brought to the show. Also Florence > Camille. 

I hadn't liked Florence when she first joined the team because I had liked Camille. But then on a recent re-watch I ended up not liking Camille quite as much. She seemed so irritated and exasperated a lot of the times with both Richard and Humphrey, with her eye rolling and side eyes. 

There are times when I wonder what I like about the show when there are so many characters that get on my nerves 😀 I think it's a case of the sum of the parts is greater than the parts. Overall, it works.

Dwayne's absence is REALLY evident with a rewatch. I really liked Fidel. JP was a good addition who I liked from the beginning. 

That blink and you missed DS that was on for a little while? I can't even remember her name and I never missed her when she was gone. 

• Love 6
On 5/20/2021 at 2:09 PM, msani19 said:

That blink and you missed DS that was on for a little while? I can't even remember her name and I never missed her when she was gone. 

DS Angela Young. She was only on that one episode when Poole was sick & Catherine kept bringing him the chicken soup that he poured into the potted plant. "Chop-chop!"  Kept calling Fidel "Freddie." and got it all wrong, of course.  Played by Shirley Henderson who also play Isobel in "Hamish Macbeth."

• Love 1

I do admit that I was dismayed when the first cast change came to be.

But I grew to like the new inspector and then the other changes happened at various times and now - - - - I am so impressed by the way the show swivels and changes and adjusts to actors who are based in England or France and really need to expand their careers, enjoy their time and move on the the entire show seems somehow to adjust and enjoy a new energy or direction?

I give every change a chance (I AM going to really miss JP tho') and find ways to enjoy the entire thing.

I will give the Commissioner and Catherine all the credit for being the linchpins of continuity!

Or something....I just really enjoy the show, plot holes, and all.

CAVEAT: I HATE THE WAY THEY MAKE THE FEMALE DECTIVES DRESS!  NOT PROFESSIONAL----  and I don't care about the climate.

• Love 10
2 minutes ago, kaygeeret said:

I will give the Commissioner and Catherine all the credit for being the linchpins of continuity!

Of all the characters that have been on, they are my favorites - along with Richard Poole.

• Love 5
20 hours ago, kaygeeret said:

CAVEAT: I HATE THE WAY THEY MAKE THE FEMALE DECTIVES DRESS!  NOT PROFESSIONAL----  and I don't care about the climate.

I have had that thought as well. Short shorts should not be part of 'plain clothes detective' and any shirt where I wonder how the bra strap is not showing probably shouldn't be either. Other than that it's ok. Oh, sort of the reverse of that... I thought Ruby should've been allowed to wear slacks like J.P. (unless that was a personal choice), but I do not see how she could've driven that motorcycle in that skirt?!

• Love 5

I thought at times Ruby was wearing a skort, not a skirt.

I adore Florence and really enjoyed Camille, but yeah, shorts, sandals, tank tops when the DIs are always wearing pants/shirt/tie/sometimes jacket is ridiculous. Dwayne wore shorts a few times but I don’t think Fidel or JP ever did.

• Love 6
5 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

Maybe, at times. But I just finished watching the episode where she thought she was cursed because of the playing card clue and I'm pretty sure she was wearing a skirt and riding the motorcycle (because then the motorcycle broke down and she thought it was part of the curse), unless she was wearing something under the skirt that I didn't see.

• Love 2
23 hours ago, dgpolo said:
23 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

Maybe, at times. But I just finished watching the episode where she thought she was cursed because of the playing card clue and I'm pretty sure she was wearing a skirt and riding the motorcycle (because then the motorcycle broke down and she thought it was part of the curse), unless she was wearing something under the skirt that I didn't see.

In the very next episode Ruby is definitely wearing a skirt not a skort and driving the motorcycle. The skirt is hiked up about mid-thigh, which I still have a problem believing that is high enough to straddle the motorcycle but still, it's high enough to wonder why she doesn't wear slacks. Especially since I think it's easy to burn your legs on the cycle if you don't wear protection.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I am doing a rewatch from the start and, like a poster above, find Camille less enjoyable this time around.  It sure was great to see her and Richard Poole again though, this season!  I thought that she had never met Florence before or, if so, only briefly, but I am on Season 4 and they are together for the first few episodes, so far.  Don't know how I forgot that.

On 5/18/2021 at 1:47 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

Reading up on news about Tobi Bakare, Rosey was played by his real-life wife!

I didn't know that! Thanks for sharing. 

On 5/31/2021 at 2:07 PM, BlackberryJam said:

I adore Florence and really enjoyed Camille, but yeah, shorts, sandals, tank tops when the DIs are always wearing pants/shirt/tie/sometimes jacket is ridiculous. Dwayne wore shorts a few times but I don’t think Fidel or JP ever did.

Agree!  

police.jpg

• Love 8

Also in regards to uniforms, Ruby fills out the shirt much, much better than Florence did. I don't know if it's because she's bustier or because she's actually wearing a woman's shirt and Florence was wearing a man's shirt. Actually the short time Florence was in uniform was really sketchy, not only did it look like she was wearing a man's shirt but her epaulets were different and everything just seemed 'off'. It's like they knew she'd be plain clothes soon so they didn't care to match it to the others.

And I can't remember if I've mentioned this before, if I have, sorry, but the Commissioner's medals keep moving around. I think there is a protocol for wearing medals and someone keeps moving his around.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

On my re-watch of all the episodes, I had to give up in season 4. Goodman just bothers the hell out of me and I don't know why.

Cause it can take him forevvvver to say who did it, as he juggles garbage in his pockets?

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

Production has started on Series 11 of Death in Paradise, filmed on the French Caribbean Island of Guadeloupe. Shantol Jackson has been added to the cast to play, Naomi Thomas, a gifted young officer who has arrived from one of the smaller neighboring islands to join the Saint Marie Police. The island of Saint Marie is also known as the Murderuda Triangle, a place where large numbers of people disappear under mysterious and not so mysterious circumstances.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
On 6/8/2021 at 1:24 AM, scorpio1031 said:

Cause it can take him forevvvver to say who did it, as he juggles garbage in his pockets?

Juggling the crap in his pockets is very mild compared to Llewellyn Watts in "Murdoch Mysteries."  Bwaahahaha

• LOL 2
56 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

Not a Humphrey fan here. On rewatch, he's just a sloppy mess. There was order to Richard and Jack, and Neville has order and reasoning to his quirks.

Also, I'd forgotten Madeleine as a sergeant. 

I like Humphrey but I think his 'schtick' was slapstick, I mean he fell out of a window on his first case. If you don't like that kind of physical humor you're not going to like him. But...

Richard's 'schtick' was being the fish out of water, he refused to give in to the island and he was plenty rude about it too. I love him but a rewatch showed me how rude he was.

Jack's 'schtick' seems to be 'Dad's humor' thing. He tells the kinds of stories about his extended family that a 'dad' would. Plus he acted like a dad, not only to his daughter but also to Florence and Ruby. I found his stories to get really old after a while and I also didn't understand his reasoning when he solved a case. I mean, when all the others have their 'AHA!' moment I know pretty much how they got there, not so much with Jack, he seemed to pull the solution out of thin air.

I'm liking Neville lots more on a rewatch. Not sure what to call his 'schtick'? he's back to the Richard thing of not liking the island much but seems more open to maybe trying to more than Richard. His various allergies and medical problems are played for humor the way Humphrey's clumsiness was. But he has never, ever, been rude to anyone. He was respectful of everyone and their contributions from the start. They find him annoying but likable I think. The Commissioner is the only one that really doesn't like him at all.

As for forgetting about Madeline, I found her very bland but against the chaos of Neville, it kind of worked.

I'm only up to the first episode of the 10th season so I don't know how things play out after that.

I found it funny that in the previews for episode 2 Neville says he always had an interest in archaeology when the last show I saw the actor in was a Midsomer episode where he was on a dig.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, dgpolo said:

I'm liking Neville lots more on a rewatch. Not sure what to call his 'schtick'? he's back to the Richard thing of not liking the island much but seems more open to maybe trying to more than Richard. His various allergies and medical problems are played for humor the way Humphrey's clumsiness was. But he has never, ever, been rude to anyone. He was respectful of everyone and their contributions from the start. They find him annoying but likable I think. The Commissioner is the only one that really doesn't like him at all.

I think you nailed his schtick.  I don't think it's about him not liking the island but rather the island not liking him.  His body seems sensitive to so many things so every time the island exposes itself to him, he feels attacked by it.  

But, in general, he's also very kind and empathetic and doesn't blame the island.  I think I've posted this before but I'll repeat myself anyway.  He cares more about the people in the mystery than I think Richard did.  Richard's my  #1 but it's that trait that makes Neville my #2. 

As for Madeline, I do think she started to bloom with Neville.  I kind of think the leads belong with one co-worker.  

Camille "belongs" to Richard (And he to her).
Florence "belongs" to Jack in my head.  
Goodman doesn't really get anyone.
I thought Madeline and Neville were going to be a good duo.  I'm curious to see how I feel about Neville and Florence together.  If they can break me out of that pattern. 

• Love 3
On 6/9/2021 at 7:55 AM, Prevailing Wind said:

Juggling the crap in his pockets is very mild compared to Llewellyn Watts in "Murdoch Mysteries."  Bwaahahaha

Watts is an occasional supporting player though, not the show's star.

More than on any other show that I can think of, these leads are "love 'em or hate 'em".

• Love 1
2 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Watts is an occasional supporting player though, not the show's star.

More than on any other show that I can think of, these leads are "love 'em or hate 'em".

I'm a "leave'em" on Murdoch mysteries because the male lead creeps me out as he looks like an animated Ken doll. He's probably a fine person and a good actor, it's just "KEN DOLL KEN DOLL KEN DOLL" when I see him.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
On 6/9/2021 at 11:47 AM, dgpolo said:

Jack's 'schtick' seems to be 'Dad's humor' thing. He tells the kinds of stories about his extended family that a 'dad' would. Plus he acted like a dad, not only to his daughter but also to Florence and Ruby. I found his stories to get really old after a while and I also didn't understand his reasoning when he solved a case. I mean, when all the others have their 'AHA!' moment I know pretty much how they got there, not so much with Jack, he seemed to pull the solution out of thin air.

My husband says Jack reminds him of Columbo, which he loved as a child. Plus, he is a huge fan of Father Ted. 

I like Neville. He seems like a sweetheart of a guy. So he is a fish out of water? I think he is trying not to be as much as he is comfortable with. 

• Love 3

No DiP tonight. Or next week. PBS Beg-A-Thon instead. Didn't they JUST do one?  But I had a good time watching/singing along to pop music of the 50s, followed by the folk music one hosted by Judy Collins and the SmoBro. (I've believed Tommy Smothers is my soul mate since I was about 11 years old.)

I look forward to the end of B-A-T and the return of DiP - the preview has Neville in the hospital.

I just wish that once - for ONE episode, at least- someone besides the DI would solve the case, or at least make a major contribution to figuring out part of the puzzle. I love this show, but it's crazy that there have been ten seasons of everyone standing around waiting for the DI to figure out a twist. 

• Love 6

I think the issue for me is we never see the DI actually explaining to the team how he arrived at the conclusion. The DI says a few things (or mumbles to himself if he's Humphrey), looks at the other officers, who sometimes have a look of understanding on their faces, and then he declares they need to gather the suspects.

The next scene is the DI naming the killer, and the team already knows by then and are ready with that key piece of evidence in bag, or prepared to chase a runaway suspect. 

I appreciate that the DI doesn't keep the information from the team, but we never get to find out how the team's contributions really lead the DI to the conclusion. 

• Love 2

Don't see the problem. That's how these shows work. Did anyone other than a Barnaby ever solve the main mystery on Midsomer? And I remember plenty of times when one of the D. I. s (especially, I think, Jack and Neville) saying 'good thinking -Ruby-J.P.-Dwayne etc. when they come up with a piece of evidence that moves the case forward. This is a show with a 'main' character so that character solves the mystery. On New Tricks there are multiple characters that are fairly equal in standing and so solving the mysteries are spread around between them. That's how I think of it anyway.

• Love 7

Marlon is growing on me.  

As is Neville.  Weridly it was the episode he was hospitalized for his allergies that really turned me around.   I mean his body has betrayed him and he's ill and he's still trying to get his job done and since then he's really trying new things.  Like him.  

• Love 6

Just finished season 10. Like Ruby, Marlon annoyed me in his first few appearances but I grew to like him by the end. I still miss Ruby, though, and wish they had kept her on.

I think Neville might be my favorite lead, maybe in part because I also have health issues that some people find hard to understand ("How can you be tired when you don't do anything?"). And, like others here have already said, I appreciate how he's embraced the job and life on the island despite a really inauspicious start.

It was nice to see Camille again, but when she was talking to Neville about his feelings for Florence in their final scene, I was expecting her to bring up what imagined Richard said about regret and urging him to act before it was too late just to bring things full circle.

JP's leaving was handled kind of oddly. While the new job makes sense given how well he mentored Ruby and Marlon, it felt off to go from him outright refusing it in one episode to being excited about it in the next. I think they should've shown something of his conversation with Rosey. That Rosey brought it up casually in front of Marlon, who's been living with them because he's homeless, also seemed weird. And, despite what the Commissioner said, wouldn't having an assault like that on his record affect the job offer? JP was taking a big risk by accepting the blame. Anyway, I still enjoyed this season.

• Love 5