Type keyword(s) to search

Flip Or Flop - General Discussion

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, meep.meep said:

That and they never put in pedestal sinks - they always provide drawers and storage in the bathroom.

I agree-- where on earth do you put the extra rolls of TP otherwise?

You can buy ornate TP holders at all the home goods stores.  We have one in our bathroom with a pedestal sink.  It hangs out just behind the toilet and matches the trash can.  It works.

Although, it had 4 bedrooms it was a tiny house. The "dinning room" was right in the family room & the entry way to the backyard. Way too small. I did like the brown glass backsplash but I didn't like it with the busy floor tile. Way too busy for the kitchen. Unfortunately, they did the same thing in the bathroom which I didn't like either. The backyard was okay and removing the trees did open it up more. The blue color of the house was nice but I thought it was a little too dark. It wasn't horrible but if it had been a little lighter it would have looked better. Overall, they "only made" $60,000+ profit on the flip. It seems rather low to me. That said, if someone wants to give me $60,000 I wouldn't turn it down. LOL!!!!

59 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

Overall, they "only made" $60,000+ profit on the flip. It seems rather low to me. That said, if someone wants to give me $60,000 I wouldn't turn it down. LOL!!!!

First you have to have the $425,000, which is most likely in the form of a short-term loan from a bank or an investor (I don't believe they actually pay cash for houses). You'll need to make payments on that for the 3-6 months it takes to flip the house (remember there is a bunch of time you don't see on the show as they draw up plans, get permits, before they can even START). Then you have to be able to come up $125,000 cash from somewhere (likely rolled into the note or mortgage) for the reno work plus staging, etc. Then you get the $60,000 after the buyer's loan closes, which is likely another 2-3 months (and that is if it sells immediately).

Flipping houses is as much a game of cash flow management and time management as anything else.

• Love 2
On 3/31/2017 at 5:35 AM, dleighg said:

I agree-- where on earth do you put the extra rolls of TP otherwise?

Exactly.  Otherwise you have to store it in a different room.  Unless you stack it somewhere in view in the bathroom, and that's unsightly.

On 3/29/2017 at 1:29 PM, doodlebug said:

I think the difference between the two articles is perspective.  Of course, Tarek and Christina want to continue the show.  By all accounts, their business was struggling prior to its debut; the show was a godsend and they've reaped big rewards from it.  I am skeptical, however, of reports that Tarek and Christina 'welcome' and encourage the other 'flip or flop' versions because it will help them.  I think they know as well as we do that these other shows are auditioning to replace them and they are, if nothing else, worried that the addition of other versions of the show will dilute their visibility.  I also seriously doubt that Christina isn't making plans to market another show for herself if this one doesn't work out.  She clearly loves the spotlight and she has to know that her current gig is in jeopardy; she'd have to be a fool to not have a backup plan in the works.  However, based on what I've seen of the show, I doubt Christina has a background in interior design or, if she does, it doesn't look to me like she's all that talented.  Watching an amateur decorate homes using the same colors and treatments time and again is not going to fly, IMO.  As photos of her own home have shown, she is 'obsessed' with shiny black and gray stuff.  Her entire home is covered with it and she doesn't seem to have any other tricks up her sleeve.

It works for Joanna Gaines on Fixer Upper.  Another no-talent, one-trick pony.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Honey said:

It works for Joanna Gaines on Fixer Upper.  Another no-talent, one-trick pony.

I don't watch that one; something about it rubs me the wrong way. Part of it is the (admittedly just staging) at the end. I absolutely hate the idea of putting random shiny/colored things on bookshelves to "fill the space." There is no individuality or creativity there. Just "stuff."/

• Love 1

I absolutely hate the idea of putting random shiny/colored things on bookshelves to "fill the space." There is no individuality or creativity there. Just "stuff."/

I'd love to see the "afters" WITHOUT the staging and then WITH the staging (and then, in a perfect world, with the actual belongings of the people who move into and live in the house instead of the furniture chosen by the designers unless they choose to buy it*, although I grant that that's unlikely).  Of course, I wouldn't mind a whole show about the stagers and how they do what they do (do they have warehouses full of furniture and home accessories? What's their inventory control system like?), but maybe that's just me.

*I also want to know what all the furniture costs - I know with Fixer Upper and Love It Or List It the families are offered a discount if they decide to buy any of the staged furniture, but I want to know how much it is and where it comes from!

• Love 4

I thought it was odd when I saw these recently released photos of Tarek, shortly after some Christina released of herself.  HOWEVER, I also heard that the body buff photos of Tarek were taken some time ago and before they separated! Anyone hear this? AND that Christina did not want him to release them back then because it would be embarrassing!  WHAT?  Very odd, imo.  

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/gossip/tarek-el-moussa-showcases-revenge-body-christina-shoot-article-1.3014910

I've read quite a bit about their separation, much of it coming from their own mouths in featured magazines like People.  In light of it all, I call it BS!  I don't think they have really revealed the truth.  It sounds like they are the ones that got in their own way.  I don't buy their stories.  But, it's probably irrelevant at this point anyway.  It's sad when people get in their way and rob themselves of happiness.   

2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I've read quite a bit about their separation, much of it coming from their own mouths in featured magazines like People.  In light of it all, I call it BS!  I don't think they have really revealed the truth.  It sounds like they are the ones that got in their own way.  I don't buy their stories.  But, it's probably irrelevant at this point anyway.  It's sad when people get in their way and rob themselves of happiness.   

What part of their story don't you believe? Do you know something?? If so, please dish. 

IMO, for whatever reason, they decided they don't want to be married anymore. I think they originally wanted to be happily married, for their sakes and the sakes of their children and their careers. But its just not turning out that way. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I thought it was odd when I saw these recently released photos of Tarek, shortly after some Christina released of herself.  HOWEVER, I also heard that the body buff photos of Tarek were taken some time ago and before they separated! Anyone hear this? AND that Christina did not want him to release them back then because it would be embarrassing!  WHAT?  Very odd, imo.  

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/gossip/tarek-el-moussa-showcases-revenge-body-christina-shoot-article-1.3014910

It's nobody's business but theirs what went on in their marriage.  The only objection I've ever had was to their attempt to pretend that they were still one big happy family for months and months after they'd separated.  Most of the time, when a marriage falls apart, it's not just one thing, it's a bunch of them that added up to the collapse.  It's ok with me if they don't give me the juicy details and I think it is certainly better for their kids if they keep it private.

Alas, all of these recent photos of the two of them and their amazing bods makes me think that at least one of their problems was their need for attention.

• Love 8
(edited)

I'm beginning to think that this need for attention might be a lot more than what they will admit to.  And, I don't know anything other than what I've been reading.  They play it up that he was sick, then they drifted  apart and could not save the marriage.  There's this MISUNDERSTANDING where the police were called. I've read 3 different versions of that and I'm not sure if any are true.   Mostly, I think it's much more than what their official stories are.  I think a lot of what they are saying it was are not true. Time will tell.  They are the ones on tv and making their stories public.  To me, that's their decision, not me minding their business.

I wouldn't have cared at all about their separation, if they hadn't released these stories. I would have been happy with the farce we saw on HGTV.  But, since they did, I just am skeptical.  I'm willing to ignore all of it and go back to watching new seasons, as if none of it ever happened.  They can Flip while separated.  Why not? BUT NOOOOOO......I guess they can't get out of their own way. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 1

They do use very similar colors with the light gray, white, occasional darker gray, in their Flips.  I'm curious as to how long this trend is going to go, though, I do like it.  When will they switch to the new trendy colors?  I recall that darker floors used to be used more on here too, but, now not so much. 

I find it amazing that with the designs they do and then calling in the staggers, the places look just as good to me, in most instances, than with some of the so called professional people do it.  Nothing against some of those people who I won't name here. 

38 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I'm beginning to think that this need for attention might be a lot more than what they will admit to.  And, I don't know anything other than what I've been reading.  They play it up that he was sick, then they drifted  apart and could not save the marriage.  There's this MISUNDERSTANDING where the police were called. I've read 3 different versions of that and I'm not sure if any are true.   Mostly, I think it's much more than what their official stories are.  I think a lot of what they are saying it was are not true. Time will tell.  They are the ones on tv and making their stories public.  To me, that's their decision, not me minding their business.

I wouldn't have cared at all about their separation, if they hadn't released these stories. I would have been happy with the farce we saw on HGTV.  But, since they did, I just am skeptical.  I'm willing to ignore all of it and go back to watching new seasons, as if none of it ever happened.  They can Flip while separated.  Why not? BUT NOOOOOO......I guess they can't get out of their own way. 

Well, considering the police reports indicate that Christina was hysterical when she called and specifically expressed concern that Tarek was suicidal, I do think the 'misunderstanding' was probably a lot more serious than they are willing to admit.  I suspect that it is a case of them trying to minimize the nature of the issue in order to maintain their TV show and, once again, not my business.  I think they're not telling the whole truth in order to keep their financial picture brighter; but they don't need to tell me the truth as long as they acknowledge it privately.  As far as the story of Tarek and the gun, they didn't release that; one of the tabloids found out about it and got a copy of the police report.  Had that not happened. I don't think T or C would've gone public with their lame explanation.

• Love 3

In this last one, when Tarek and Christina were discussing what to list the house for, I would swear Christina was stoned. Just go back and look at her if you get the chance. The glassy eyes, the "not quite all there" faraway look, it all fits. 

2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

In this last one, when Tarek and Christina were discussing what to list the house for, I would swear Christina was stoned. Just go back and look at her if you get the chance. The glassy eyes, the "not quite all there" faraway look, it all fits. 

It is legal there now, so no scandal.  More power to her.  Lol

• Love 1
On 4/4/2017 at 9:59 AM, iMonrey said:

Its hard for me to tell because she always has a "duh" look on her face, it goes with her personality. 

• Love 5

In this most recent episode (Cypress, with the missing load-bearing post--  how does a house get into that condition, with the peeling walls, crusted plumbing fixtures....  someone had been living there, right?

On 4/4/2017 at 0:59 PM, iMonrey said:

Not only glassy, also a bit red. She definitely looked stoned.

• Love 1

It'll probably come down to how well the spin-offs do. I've seen one episode of the Vegas spin-off and it wasn't good. 

Well, considering the police reports indicate that Christina was hysterical when she called and specifically expressed concern that Tarek was suicidal, I do think the 'misunderstanding' was probably a lot more serious than they are willing to admit.

Given all the information we've seen, I find the most plausible explanation to be the anonymous source that reported Tarek found explicit text messages on Christina's phone between her and her boyfriend, which is when he flipped out and ran off with the gun. 

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

It'll probably come down to how well the spin-offs do. I've seen one episode of the Vegas spin-off and it wasn't good.

Yeah, pretty tacky stuff in Vegas. I think the other shows are in Nashville and Atlanta and they don't start until August or September, so it'll be a bit of a wait before they know how the franchise is doing.

While I have never seen the Vegas couple before, apparently they had another version of the same show earlier that had very mediocre ratings.

5 hours ago, MrPissyPuppy said:

Yeah, good luck with that, Christina!  Maybe she needs to talk to Bravo about some Real Housewives of Flipping show. 

I suppose she wants to strike while the iron is hot; probably more people know her name since the scandal than before.  She never got a magazine cover until her marriage imploded.  However, I don't think Christina will wear well with the viewing public over time.  People who liked the 'young family running their own business and raising a family' vibe of the old show aren't necessarily interested in Christina as a solo act.  Her voice is somewhat grating, she has no particular skills or training in design and her overall personality isn't all that appealing.  She's pretty, but that doesn't mean much; everybody on TV is pretty.

I think she overestimates her overall appeal to the public and the lasting effects of her current notoriety. 

Word on the street was that T&C made $10000 altogether per episode for Flip or Flop.  They were doing a couple of seasons a year at 12-14 eppies apiece.  So, Christina's take was about $125,000 a year for the show.  Now she thinks she's worth a million bucks WITHOUT her husband doing an ill-defined show using her limited design chops?  I presume they can't do the flips without Tarek and I doubt he would agree to let her use their business to continue her TV career without him.  I think the peroxide has seeped into her brain.

• Love 7

She's an idiot if she doesn't think the network is testing replacements with these spin-offs. I think all the recent press she's gotten has gone to her head. The problem is she didn't get that press for something good. Maybe she's hired herself a PR firm and/or agent who's telling her she's all that. 

I watched another episode of Flipping Vegas last night. It's basically got the same problem Flip or Flop Original Recipe now has: no organic dynamic between the hosts. They're just . . . a couple of people flipping houses. It was Tarek and Christina's relationship that made their show special. You pretty much have to have that when you have a house renovation show that doesn't feature a different couple/buyer every week like House Hunters or even Fixer Upper. There's nobody to focus on except the hosts. Who wants to watch a show about two randos flipping houses? There's no hook. 

• Love 2

Now, they're trying to drum up an audience (paying, of course) for their real estate seminars.  Christina has posted about them on Instagram and Tarek has posted on Facebook.  Don't know how many takers they'll get given their relationship status and the fact that many times they don't actually show up for the seminars.

magdalene - there's another season already in the can, will probably air this fall unless HGTV decides to burn it off in the summer. I think they are probably weighing their options at this point and waiting to see how well the spin-offs do.

• Love 1

Edit: Spoke too soon, apparently they have both been signed on for more episodes. The headline says "Season 8" but the text says that they will extend the upcoming season to  more episode.

Wonder if it has anything to do with the nearly universal thumbs-down (internet reviews, comments on HGTV's Fb page) that Flip or Flop Vegas is getting?

Pretty sure the "new" (ie: already finished) season will be short, too. Season 6 was 17 episodes, Season 7 will be 5 episodes. Pretty clear that either HGTV is done with them or they are done with HGTV, whichever way.

Although I am sure the 5 episodes will have great ratings as viewers tune in  to analyze every word and/or glance. Pass on the excitement for me. As it is I was already just FF through the intro  to the house layout, preview of a couple rooms and then on to the final reveal.

Edited by WildPlum
updated
  • Love 1

Apparently, they re-upped:

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/christina-tarek-el-moussa-sign-flip-flop-article-1.3096038

I guess we'll get a true representation of their life after the divorce but still working together.

and, on my Facebook page Christina wrote (Wait! isn't everyone her friend on Facebook?) the following:

BREAKING NEWS!!!!!! It's time to announce that our show, the OG Flip or Flop is being renewed for 20 episodes... I know many of our fans have been wondering about this and it's finally happening. Regardless of the situation, our job is to flip homes and create a TV show for people to enjoy around the world... be prepared for some disasters and crazy projects on the upcoming season... it's almost... GO TIME! Who's excited about this??? I am! T

Edited by ByaNose
2 hours ago, ByaNose said:

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/christina-tarek-el-moussa-sign-flip-flop-article-1.3096038

I guess we'll get a true representation of their life after the divorce but still working together.

and, on my Facebook page Christina wrote (Wait! isn't everyone her friend on Facebook?) the following:

BREAKING NEWS!!!!!! It's time to announce that our show, the OG Flip or Flop is being renewed for 20 episodes... I know many of our fans have been wondering about this and it's finally happening. Regardless of the situation, our job is to flip homes and create a TV show for people to enjoy around the world... be prepared for some disasters and crazy projects on the upcoming season... it's almost... GO TIME! Who's excited about this??? I am! T

Sounds like the spin offs aren't doing well with the focus groups.  Presuming the Las Vegas shows aired first since they were best of the bunch, it's not hard to see why T&C are getting another chance.  It also sounds like Christina isn't getting the million a year she supposedly wanted.

• Love 1

Well ... HGTV has to realize that some of T&C's ratings are based on people wanting to see a train wreck.  When it doesn't happen, will folks stick around to see the upcoming season of shows?

1 hour ago, DallasGypsy said:

Well ... HGTV has to realize that some of T&C's ratings are based on people wanting to see a train wreck.  When it doesn't happen, will folks stick around to see the upcoming season of shows?

True, but the show has always had good ratings 

Ha, ha, I was naive to believe this was canceled because of their very public divorce.  I should have kept in mind that the trashier the content the better it seems to be for the ratings. Or that new Vegas flipping show is tanking. Or a combination of all of the above.

3 hours ago, Chai said:

http://Blindgossip.com/?p=82510

This explains why they were desperate to stay working together.

I know this makes me a horrible person, but I'm very curious to see how much they'll actually talk about their separation and divorce. 

I do wish they were childless. I hate that Taylor and Brayden will have to watch the biggest tragedy of their young lives unfold on national TV. 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, topanga said:

I know this makes me a horrible person, but I'm very curious to see how much they'll actually talk about their separation and divorce. 

I do wish they were childless. I hate that Taylor and Brayden will have to watch the biggest tragedy of their young lives unfold on national TV. 

I hope the kids aren't filmed at all; not with either parent.  However, I expect that they will be dragged into filming to show us how well Tarek and Christina co-parent.

Considering the stories of the multiple nannies, the new house and Tarek driving autos costing six figures as well as using a yacht costing millions; I don't doubt that they were spending every dime they made and then some.  For that matter, they ended up living in Christina's parents' garage fairly quickly after the previous real estate downturn, I think Tarek and Christina are not so good at managing their money.

• Love 5
On 4/24/2017 at 6:57 PM, ByaNose said:

heh - see the link to the Blind Gossip item over on the "Going Their Own Flippin' Ways" thread.

I predict they will not address their relationship status at all. 

• Love 1