Type keyword(s) to search

Frequency - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I thought it was interesting. I like that it's a father and daughter. My dad was like my best friend too, so I can relate to it. The scene of her getting the unicorn toy from him was so sweet. 

The only thing that confused me was, how come she had "new" memories of her dad surviving, but then did not remember that her mom had disappeared when she was a kid, or that she did not have a boyfriend named Daniel? When those things changed, shouldn't her memories have changed? I was just unclear on how this time-changing stuff works.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Netfoot said:

(I worked Space Shuttle Columbia and the MIR space station using one of these (Icom IC-275H, one of the "heavenly twins") and that was in 1990, years earlier. 

What sort of work did you do?

I was searching for pictures of Columbia or Mir's equipment and found this issue of Amateur Radio Today from March 1991.

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, KaleyFirefly said:

The only thing that confused me was, how come she had "new" memories of her dad surviving, but then did not remember that her mom had disappeared when she was a kid, or that she did not have a boyfriend named Daniel? When those things changed, shouldn't her memories have changed? I was just unclear on how this time-changing stuff works.

This is my read on it: Everyone else who was affected remembers only their new history. Raimy remembers both histories - either because she was the cause of the change, or she was at the centerpoint, or proximity to the radio, or she's special, we don't know why/how yet. We also don't know if there will be any long term effects (a la Butterfly Effect) of acquiring multiple lives worth of memories.

However, unlike most shows/movies where something like this happens, she wasn't necessarily smacked in the face with the new timeline. Instead it worked like regular memory - it only came up when she thought about it. Once she started thinking about her mom she remembered the new timeline events. Since she didn't have a boyfriend/fiance in the new timeline, so when she was getting ready for her date with him no new memories came up and it didn't occur to her that she wasn't dating him.

• Love 6
11 minutes ago, ae2 said:

What sort of work did you do?

Uh, by worked I mean contacted.  It's ham radio vernacular that I guess I should have avoided.

I worked Dr. Ron Parise WA4SIR on STS-35 which flew the SAREX-II mission.  (Ron is pictured on pp.3 of your PDF and again, in colour, on pp.56.  I subsequently met Ron, twice, for an "eyeball-QSO".  Once when he visited 8P-land, and then again when he lectured at the Dayton Hamvention in 1997.)  The contact was made using a packet relay.  Packet radio was in it's infancy then, and being able to connect digitally to the shuttle, and download telemetry data was pretty amazing.  I have two QSL cards from STS-35, one gold and one silver.  I was actually also entitled to a bronze card, but I never received it, and I never made a fuss about it.  Regrettably, Ron is now a Silent Key.  

Later that same week, I also spoke directly to Musa Manarov U2MIR on the MIR space station.  He is also mentioned in your PDF.  When I called him on a clear frequency, I really didn't expect a response, but he came right back to me!  I have a lovely QSL card from Musa for that contact as well. He asked where I was calling from, and when I told him, he said "Oh yes, I can see it out the porthole now."  He spoke English with a Trinidadian accent.

The astronauts/cosmonauts were only allowed very simple equipment, back then.  And the ham station on the ISS is hardly more sophisticated today!  Most of the heavy lifting had to be done by the terrestrial station.  I had a good rig, but my antenna was very simple, so to make those contacts was a bit of a miracle for me.  And I was a pretty green operator, too!

The second page of your PDF shows the fantastic IC-970, with which I replaced my "heavenly twins" (the IC-275 and IC-475).  I made hundreds of contacts via satellite with that rig, in the early 90's.  You can see just by looking at the photos that the equipment of 1996 was far more sophisticated than the gear shown in this show.  But it couldn't time-talk, so.....

• Love 2

'Frequency' Changes

So yeah, they aged down the characters because of the CW. I can see doing that for Raimy, but it feels a little ridiculous that we're supposed to buy Frank and the mother as 27/28 and therefore teenaged (or just out of teenaged parents) when they had Raimy. "Present" Frank should have been closer to Riley Smith's age.

2 hours ago, ae2 said:

This is my read on it: Everyone else who was affected remembers only their new history. Raimy remembers both histories - either because she was the cause of the change, or she was at the centerpoint, or proximity to the radio, or she's special, we don't know why/how yet. We also don't know if there will be any long term effects (a la Butterfly Effect) of acquiring multiple lives worth of memories.

However, unlike most shows/movies where something like this happens, she wasn't necessarily smacked in the face with the new timeline. Instead it worked like regular memory - it only came up when she thought about it. Once she started thinking about her mom she remembered the new timeline events. Since she didn't have a boyfriend/fiance in the new timeline, so when she was getting ready for her date with him no new memories came up and it didn't occur to her that she wasn't dating him.

That would make the most sense.

The missing poster sets up that her mother doesn't disappear until about 3 months later, so I'm guessing everything's focused on preventing that from happening. What's weird is that it doesn't happen right after- it seems like this serial killer takes their time to learn everything about their victim, instead of nabbing right away. Which was different from the movie, I think.

The girl playing Young Raimy doesn't feel or act like an newly-turned 8-year old and that kind of bothers me.

As for the question about the Nightingale killer, from what I remember, the change was that the killer doesn't die like they were supposed to, and they remain active and kill more than they were supposed to.

• Love 3

As both a lover of time travel stories and an active amateur radio operator (de W2IRT) I went into this expecting some horrible technical gaffes and operating nightmares, but was willing to let it slide if the acting, story and overall emotional feel was there. It certainly was in the trailer, but I found this to be yet another typical CW Network millennial-aimed procedural. Too many hot 20-somethings and too few serious acting chops and some pretty awful production values. Vancouver is NOT NYC and never will be. That so clearly wasn't the East River they pulled Frank out of. NYC gold shields have a very distinctive shape that any TV viewer should recognize in a heartbeat, and the list goes on. By themselves these are minor nits, but taken as a whole, it just didn't work particularly well for me as a television show.

As for the radio stuff, with one particular exception, if you are using a microphone that has a push-to-talk button, then you need to push it in order to talk! And when you do, you can't be interrupted by the person on the other end, like you can on a telephone. When you're transmitting you won't hear any hetrodyne whistle, and you'd almost never hear it on receive either. One tech detail that I liked was the closeup shot of the license (and fictitious callsign) showed a Technician Class license, and the antennas were UHF, which does fit nicely. And for whoever said earlier that nobody uses radio, my log shows over 8500 contacts last year, so it's still a popular hobby with more participants in the U.S. than at any time in history, including it's so-called golden era of the 50s and 60s.

It's funny, though. The one radio thing that most of my friends were cringing over was the hospital scene at the end, when they bring him his radio and microphone, but no antenna. That didn't actually bother me at all. The radio itself was the magic device. I kinda liked that part, as well as 8YO Raimi talking to 28 YO Raimi. That part really did it for me in a good way.

All in all I gave it a 6/10 and I'll be back for the rest of the first 13. Beyond that let's see if the acting and writing can improve, and a plausible long-term storyline can come out. I can't see the hunt for the Nightingale killer lasting more than a season or even a half-season.

Edited by NJRadioGuy
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

That would make the most sense.

The missing poster sets up that her mother doesn't disappear until about 3 months later, so I'm guessing everything's focused on preventing that from happening. What's weird is that it doesn't happen right after- it seems like this serial killer takes their time to learn everything about their victim, instead of nabbing right away. Which was different from the movie, I think.

The girl playing Young Raimy doesn't feel or act like an newly-turned 8-year old and that kind of bothers me.

As for the question about the Nightingale killer, from what I remember, the change was that the killer doesn't die like they were supposed to, and they remain active and kill more than they were supposed to.

Yeah, in the movie, I believe it was Nightingale got into a car accident, but was home due to Frank's death, and the nurse on duty wasn't paying attention and Nightingale died.

I'm cautiously optimistic about this, it all depends on how they handle things that the movie didn't cover.

• Love 1

I don't remember the movie particularly well, but from what I remember, this was better.

So at 28 she is older than her dad was in the past, but there she was 8, meaning he knocked her mother up when he was 18 (19 if you are generous). I mean not that that's impossible, but usually people who have kids that early don't have a long lasting marriage or a career as a cop. I think the CW might have strethed this one a little far in order to fit their heroes into the target demographic.

What didn't make sense to me was that she was the first to believe, despite the fact that she had no evidence that he was in the past, while he did that she was in the future. After thee cigar burn, sure, but she believed before.

Also time travel is always weird, but it is a bit of a stretch that she remembers while nobody else does, for no reason. But I guess I'll have to give that to this show or it wouldn't work.

What really bugged me: So all of the guys partners were acctually in the pocket of that crime syndicat, but they let the undercover sting go on for months? Wtf? Since this is some of the little wholy original writing in this, that doesn't bode well.

On 6.10.2016 at 4:23 AM, ketose said:

So, Raimy (what kind of name is that?) remembers both versions of history, but not enough to remember she never met the BF in the new timeline. If she changes history a lot, is it going to end up like the Butterfly Effect, where the guy broke his brain from all the new memories being created?

How would you remember never meeting somebody? You can't rememeber something that didn't happen. So all she has are her memoris of the old timeline of him.

What was more confusing was that she didn't remembr her mother had died 20 years ago.

On 6.10.2016 at 4:48 AM, BigBlueMastiff said:

In the movie, the son found the ham radio in a box in the closet and plugged it in for nostalgia's sake. He wasn't using it otherwise, but Frank used it to talk to people often in the 60's. Who had and used a ham radio in 1996, hard to imagine.

A friends family and also my cousins had on when I was a kid and that was somtime in the early 90s. I'm sure even today pople will still have that as a hobby. Hobbies don't have to be practicle. And at least truckers will still talk to you.

And by now we've even had a few ham radio operators in this thread. Seems not so dead afterall.

5 hours ago, NJRadioGuy said:

It's funny, though. The one radio thing that most of my friends were cringing over was the hospital scene at the end, when they bring him his radio and microphone, but no antenna. That didn't actually bother me at all. The radio itself was the magic device. I kinda liked that part, as well as 8YO Raimi talking to 28 YO Raimi. That part really did it for me in a good way.

Yeah when they brought it to him I thought "well that's not going to work without an antenna" but 5s later I thoght "well, I guess it's magic, so it probably will". Don't know why the wife would have brought it in what she could only assume was a useless state though. But maybe she just wanted to indulge her daughter who had almost lost her father.

Edited by Miles
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, Miles said:

So at 28 she is older than her dad was in the past, but there she was 8, meaning he knocked her mother up when he was 18 (19 if you are generous). I mean not that that's impossible, but usually people who have kids that early don't have a long lasting marriage or a career as a cop. I think the CW might have strethed this one a little far in order to fit their heroes into the target demographic

I don't see the problem. Because you think it "usually" happens some way, they shouldn't make a show where it happened the other way? It's not a stretch, it actually can happen and does happen.

(Not that it needs to be said, but I think your assumption is wrong. I could name at least a  half dozen friends who had kids before 20 and were still together at 30. In fact, one of them is 30, with an 11 year old, and married to the dad who happens to be a NYC cop.)

6 hours ago, Miles said:

What didn't make sense to me was that she was the first to believe, despite the fact that she had no evidence that he was in the past, while he did that she was in the future. After thee cigar burn, sure, but she believed before.

I think she wanted to believe more than anything. She tragically lost her dad, who she was close with, then had his name smeared by the media. It had a huge impact on her life. He still thinks his daughter is alive and well back at home. Plus she probably recognized his voice, even if subconsciously.

6 hours ago, Miles said:

Also time travel is always weird, but it is a bit of a stretch that she remembers while nobody else does, for no reason. But I guess I'll have to give that to this show or it wouldn't work.

What was more confusing was that she didn't remembr her mother had died 20 years ago.

This is already addressed above, and I'm sure that the show will dive into it more as it progresses. It seems that, like with normal memories, they just sit there waiting to be recalled. She has memories of her mother disappearing, but she also has 20 years of memories with her mother. She didn't recall her disappearance until it was brought up - much like how one has a memory of being told their grandmother died when they were 11, but it sits for long periods of time without being thought about.

6 hours ago, Miles said:

What really bugged me: So all of the guys partners were acctually in the pocket of that crime syndicat, but they let the undercover sting go on for months? Wtf? Since this is some of the little wholy original writing in this, that doesn't bode well.

There was a serious lack of information here. I'm not sure if it was left intentionally murky to allow for future plots, or if they didn't want to dive into it too much because it isn't relevant to the future plot. So the crime syndicate managed to buy his entire team, who then ratted him out... to what end? 

I'm willing to give them the benefit of a doubt, at least for awhile. 

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Miles said:

How would you remember never meeting somebody? You can't rememeber something that didn't happen.

Well...  I remember meeting Prince Charles, but I never met The Queen.  I specifically remember that I never met The Queen.  So, maybe you can't remember something that didn't happen, but you can remember that something didn't happen.

I checked this out because Frequency is one of my fav movies. I love crime and time travel (hey, Shapeshifter!). Ok w/ them changing the main character to a woman. Ok that we've got cops instead of firefighters.NOT OK with the yr change, but I can see why they did it. But 1996 wasn't long ago enough, I think.

In the movie it was 1969 and the dad/son were Mets fans. As someone from a family of Met fans this is also one of the things that makes the movie so appealing as usually it's all about the Yankees around here and we're the underdogs so it was nice to see a Mets thing going in the movie. Plus they won the series in 69 & there was a lot of baseball chatter in the movie.

I watched this On Demand which gave it poor sound quality and on a tv that's losing it's brightness so I missed a few things. I don't remember 1996 being a big season for the Mets, but my family are bigger fans than I am. So in this show are they Yankee fans? Somehow this bothers me if they are. That's just too much change from the movie. :)

I didn't like that they made the parents separated at the time of the father's death. Or that she grew up thinking that he was a dirty cop.

I agree with you, method, the girl who plays Raimy (dumb name) as a child doesn't seem like 7-8. More like 11.

Because the picture on the tv I watched this on is so dark I didn't pick up how unlike the NYC area this looked. And I live in that area.

I really liked older Raimy talking to younger Raimy too.

But I'm in a for a few eps although I'm not sure I will watch live. There's crap on this season so I've been in the market for a new show. Will see how it goes. I don't see how they can get a whole season worth of eps though.

This is the first CW show I've ever watched so I'm not hip to their demographics.

Edited by kat165
  • Love 2

Loved the movie and really enjoyed this.  I liked the nods to the movie and the TV show owes it's soul to it, but the changes work as well.  It wasn't a cinematic masterpiece but it didn't look like a typical CW show and honored the tone from the movie also in the color palate and the feel of the settings and the characters.  I found I quickly connected to the characters and even though a lot of the twists were right from the movie, this is all set up for the future episodes and I think they did that very well.  A very good pilot IMO.  I'm watching Timeless as well but I enjoyed this far more and was surprised how quickly the episode went. 

I saw that the ratings weren't strong but I also hear the there were a lot of factors that dropped the ratings so I'm hopeful that good word of mouth and less competition will maybe allow for it to rise.    

And yes, to me the 90's weren't that long ago but I also remember how long ago the 70's seemed in the 90's so who am I to complain, lol.   

• Love 3

I really don't like the cast, but I like the radios.   Radios with tubes though, seriously, did they even exist in 1996?  Where would you get a new tube if one busted?  From Philo Farnsworth's brother-in-law?    Anything further on that subject would betray my age. 

Radios with tubes though, seriously, did they even exist in 1996?

Solid state (transistorized) radios were more commonplace in later years, but tubes in the final (power) amplifier stages of even quite sophisticated radios were not unheard of.  The Yaesu FT-101ZD for example, which was sold as late as 1985 had tube finals

u740lrg.jpg

and many are still in service today!

And certainly, top of the line, high-power booster amplifiers (a/k/a "linears") almost all use tubes exclusively.

9500s.jpg

You can get more power for less money, using tubes.  The heart of this Alpha linear running at something like 4000 volts, is a single, 1500 watt 3CX1500A7, 8877 Triode valve:

3cx1500a.jpg

The folks at Alpha say they that one of the reasons they use it is because it is "inexpensive" (at around US$850 each).  Godnoze what it would cost to produce 1500 watts using transistors!

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Netfoot said:

Well...  I remember meeting Prince Charles, but I never met The Queen.  I specifically remember that I never met The Queen.  So, maybe you can't remember something that didn't happen, but you can remember that something didn't happen.

Now imagine you had met the queen in a different timeline. How would you remember not meeting her in this one? You couldn't there would be no memory to contradict that one. You can't remember not meeting somebody. You can only not remember meeting somebody. That is the important distinction here.

Only exception would be if you were supposed to meet them and you missed them for some reason, but even then it would probably so insignificant to you that the memory where you did meet them would surplant it.

14 hours ago, ae2 said:

(Not that it needs to be said, but I think your assumption is wrong. I could name at least a  half dozen friends who had kids before 20 and were still together at 30. In fact, one of them is 30, with an 11 year old, and married to the dad who happens to be a NYC cop.)

Okay I believe you, stranger on the internet who convenintly has friend that are weirdly specific to this argument...

And since I believe you, how old is her NYC cop husband?

Edited by Miles

I had a friend in high school who was into Ham radio and also liked to tinker with electronics. He even started a business selling audio amplifiers with tubes instead of transistors because of the better fidelity. Obviously, in the real world that rig would have to be home made to some extent. I'm sure a number of radio operators could do it as well. Most of the ones I knew were pretty savvy with electronics.

As far as the origin of that radio, maybe Raimy's father got is as a kid, or from his dad. Maybe a mysterious time traveler gave it to the family decades ago.

8 hours ago, ketose said:

As far as the origin of that radio...

As I said before, I don't think this is an actual radio, but rather a prop, designed to give the desired look and feel required by the production team.  

But, it certainly has the appearance of an old, homebrew rig.  Many hams still do that, building from scratch or modifying an existing radio to add extra bits'n'pieces.  Just for the fun of it.  Unfortunately (maybe?), modern factory-built radios are so very sophisticated that to construct a piece of equipment with all the same features at home would cost 100 times what it cost to buy one, and it would be 100 times larger, too.  So most hams will have a few radios that they bought and a few that they've built.  

Rigs for phone use (voice) are much more complicated than those used for morse code, so most home brewers start with morse radios.  Which is why morse code is still widely used by ham radio operators.  And a tiny, homebrewed radio less than an inch by an inch can "work the world".  Because morse code has the ability to penetrate through noise, fading, static, and the other types of interference that tends to muffle out voice signals.  

By the way, hams refer to morse code as "continuous wave", almost always abbreviated to CW.  Which is why I laughed a little, when I saw which television network was airing this show...

• Love 3

Way to screw with the time stream Raimy! Between this show, Timeless, and The Flash, its amazed the Doctor hasn't had to come by and sort all this shit out. At least Raimy didn't really know what was going on, or what the rules were. 

I like this. I have never seen the movie, but I might have to check it out. Will we get more Oasis? Or more 90s music? The 90s were my nostalgic era, so I am thrilled to see it pop up here. I like the actors alright, and I love time travel stuff, so I am already into this. Honestly, the CW is pretty respectable these days. A weirdly high number of the shows I like are on this dorky station. 

I know nothing about radios, so I am excited to learn more! 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

Way to screw with the time stream Raimy! Between this show, Timeless, and The Flash, its amazed the Doctor hasn't had to come by and sort all this shit out. At least Raimy didn't really know what was going on, or what the rules were. 

I like this. I have never seen the movie, but I might have to check it out. Will we get more Oasis? Or more 90s music? The 90s were my nostalgic era, so I am thrilled to see it pop up here. I like the actors alright, and I love time travel stuff, so I am already into this. Honestly, the CW is pretty respectable these days. A weirdly high number of the shows I like are on this dorky station. 

I know nothing about radios, so I am excited to learn more! 

We won't get the doctor, but Rory will probably show up on The Flash.

Wonderwall worked pretty well for music, as it had just come out the year before. Of course, since the timelines are linked, there's going to have to use a lot of 1996 music this season.

• Love 2

True, Raimy does not travel into the past to make alterations.  Frank makes the alterations on her behalf, thanks to the information communicated to him via the magic radio.  I'm not sure there's a difference.  

And what happens if one of the changes made by Frank causes Raimy to be hit by a bus at the age of 12?  Shortened season, I guess...

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, Netfoot said:

And what happens if one of the changes made by Frank causes Raimy to be hit by a bus at the age of 12?  Shortened season, I guess...

That would be a delightfully shocking way to end the series. I could get behind that. 

• Love 2

Greetings all, from (de) W2IRT.
I definitely got the homebrew feeling from that setup and didn't mind it in the slightest. A closeup of his "license" showed he's a Technician Class operator so UHF/VHF antennas (and what could pass for either a small 2m or 6m Yagi) would be expected.

@Netfoot, congrats on those two amazing contacts. I'm more a hardcore HF DXer/contester (I get nosebleeds above 30 MHz :)) but I've always wanted to work the Shuttle. Mir would have been one of the greatest catches of all time.

I really wish the production team has just changed a couple of things: No hetrodyne whistle on transmit, no full-duplex transmissions and using the lock-to-talk feature on the mics when making a long hands-free transmission. Half the time they weren't using the PTTs, and I somehow doubt a little homebrew rig like that had a perfect VOX circuit in it (nor would Raimi know how to use such a thing even if it were present).

For the non-hams persistent enough to read this far down the thread, ham radio is still very much alive and is experiencing a renaissance in the US/Canada and especially in Europe. There are more licensees now than ever before in history and on any given weekend the HF ("shortwave") bands are chock-a-block full of folks chatting, contesting (friendly competition to contact as many people as possible within specified places or globally), DXing (talking long distances and to rare countries), nice friendly round-table style discussions ("nets"), using Morse, voice and digital keyboard modes. It's not really about the content of the messages or the ease of sending them--cellphones work well for that--but rather about having fun experimenting with the technology, making new friends around the globe or around the corner and the fun of saying you've talked to every country on earth.

Unlike cell phones, you never know who's going to answer you when you call CQ (a general call asking for anybody who hears you to reply), and anybody can listen in and break in if they want. So in the context of this show I have to wonder whether anybody from across time could intercept and break in and what effect that could have! I really wish this had been less about police work (gawd, how many more procedurals do we need!) and more about communicating through time and the effects it could have on the world. Imagine tuning across and picking up a CQ from an operator 75 years in the future, in your town, asking for help because the country has just suffered a nuclear attack and then the quest through time to prevent it. That would be far more interesting than catching Yet Another Serial Killer™.

For anybody who cares, this is my slightly less rustic station, taken as I prepared for a contest last winter. The big silver-colored block at the bottom is a Morse Code key, the radio is a very modern Elecraft K3S with various antenna and station controls on the shelves above. A much nicer station can be seen in Mike Baxter's office in Last Man Standing on ABC, incidentally. Too bad the shows are on different networks. That could be fun if WQ2YM called CQ and KA0XTT answered!

Getting a license is easier than it ever has been in the past and any hams here or elsewhere are always happy to talk to and mentor those wishing to give it a whirl.

ReadyForBattle.jpg

Edited by NJRadioGuy
Added a picture

Whenever they depict ham radio in the movies/TV, they always show a desk-mic.  I think a hand-mic would be better, because the use (or lack thereof) of the PTT isn't as obvious, because a fractional movement of a finger will press the PTT switch, so it would be difficult to say whether the actor was pressing it or not.  

Elecraft.  Lucky you!  :-)  A local 8P- buddy swears by them.  He's got two, a K3  (not sure which variant exactly) but also a KX3 which is as cute as a button.  One of these days I may dive deeper into the hobby and invest in a nice new Elecraft.  But honestly?  I'd like to see SDR to become more mainstream, so if I want to spend a boatload of money, I'd look more at a Flex-radio, or something like that.

Right now, I'm making do with an IC-7000

ic-7000.jpg

10-band HF plus 2 meter VHF and 70 centimeter UHF bands, all multimode.  8P-land does allow 60M operation from 5250 – 5400 kHz on USB Voice, maximum power 100W PEP.    I don't use a paddle.  I prefer an old pump. 

2 hours ago, NJRadioGuy said:

Mir would have been one of the greatest catches of all time.

It certainly was a highlight!

But I don't usually make a big fuss about collecting QSLs.  I worked some really rare ones and never bothered to send for the card.  I take pleasure from the contact itself, and I admit that I'm a ragchewer.  I'd rather spend 90 minutes talking with someone on a cattle-station in the outback or a goat-farming grandmother in Canada, than run a hundred Five-Nine-Seven-Three! type QSOs.

The 7000 is handy. That's my backup, and I used it from the Bahamas 10 years ago. That was also the radio of choice for BS7H on Scarborough Reef in 2007. I tend to run out of things to say after a two minute ragchew contact. I'm happy with 59-73. Or preferably 5NN TU :)

Elecraft makes some great equipment and I love my K3S, but it's not a cheap radio by any stretch. Friends with the Flex 6700 love them, too. SDR can be pretty nice. Again, very, very expensive. My old radio was a fully-loaded Yaesu FT-1000 MP Mark V, which last I heard is on its way down to an 8P contest station. That beauty got me on the DXCC Honor Roll.

I tend to run out of things to say after a two minute ragchew contact.

Well, how do you think I found out that Canadian contact was a grandmother?  And raised goats?  Just talk about anything, like in a regular conversation. The guy in the outback liked Fosters lager.  I thought that was a bit of a stereotype, but apparently not.  Oh, and the contact with the Canadian station was in CW. I was operating from a beach house with a random wire over a coconut tree.  Rig at the time was an IC-735

ic735.jpg

The guys were making White Ladies.  She demanded the recipe...

That beauty got me on the DXCC Honor Roll.

The only award I ever applied for was for the ZRO test, administered by Andy MacAllister WA5ZIB for weak-signal reception via OSCAR-13.  I did pretty poorly, only achieving Z5 or Z6 level (can't remember), but I was insanely proud of myself.  And that was with no DSP processing whatsoever.  That was with my IC-970H

Icom_IC_790H_.jpg

I loved that rig, and for quite a while, worked OSCAR exclusively.  I had to get the regulations changed in 8P-land in order to use 70cm.  That took two years...

And now, I am old, and most likely to be using a Baofeng handy!

On 10/7/2016 at 2:33 AM, Miles said:

On 10/8/2016 at 8:18 PM, Netfoot said:

True, Raimy does not travel into the past to make alterations.  Frank makes the alterations on her behalf, thanks to the information communicated to him via the magic radio.  I'm not sure there's a difference.  

I'm going with "She remembers it because she was the cause of the change."

With the bus comment, i'm guessing she'll start to disappear (Like with the villain in Frequency, or Marty McFly in Back To The Future) and will have to think on her feet to save herself

My nitpick, and this actually was depicted 'correctly' in the original movie.

When Frank in 1996 burns the wooden box, why is it burning and smoking in 2016? The burning process has been completed 20 years ago. In the movie the box in present day shows old burning mark that appearing slowly.

• Love 1

Actually in the movie you also saw the smoke in the future.  That was one this in the dvd commentary that the director couldn't explain.  I would have thought they would have fixed that for tv.

2 hours ago, Akenta said:

Actually in the movie you also saw the smoke in the future.  That was one this in the dvd commentary that the director couldn't explain.  I would have thought they would have fixed that for tv.

I stand corrected. I must have thought about another show where the mark is appearing in the present in antique form while it is being burned 'simultaneously' in the past.

6 hours ago, Akenta said:

The smoke is more dramatic? They thought the audience would be stupid and not notice the burn mark appearing without the smoke?

Or is the remake of the 2000 ghost-radio flick a quick 10-4?

10-4 is not a phrase that is commonly used by ham radio operators.  It is one of the Ten-Codes, mostly used by CBers and cops.  A ham radio operator would be much more likely to say QSL which is one of the Q-Codes, used widely by amateur radio operators, but also by marine and aeronautical radio operators, etc.  

Q-Codes work better when you are sending CW (morse code) because they are all 3 characters long, and are easier to send via CW whereas Ten-Codes can be as many as five digits long, and morse digits are all longer than even the longest letters.  I think that's why they are preferred by services that may use both phone (voice) or CW.

In morse:

• 10-4 is "di-dah-dah-dah-dah dah-dah-dah-dah-dah di-di-di-di-dah" and that's leaving out the dash ("dah-di-di-di-di-dah").
  • QSL is "dah-dah-di-dah di-di-dit di-dah-di-dit".

Ham radio operators might also acknowledge with a simple Roger in phone or a quick "di-dah-dit" (R) in CW.

You were dying to know all this, weren't you?

• Love 1

From CW's press site:

When Raimy (Peyton List) and Frank (Riley Smith) speak over the ham-radio and she lets him know that her mom will be murdered unless Frank can figure out a way to warn her, she also delivers devastating news regarding Stan Moreno (Anthony Ruivivar). Meanwhile, in 2016, Raimy follows a lead in the Nightingale case, and in 1996, Frank and Satch (Mekhi Phifer) work together to follow the same lead.

I'm still liking this, but I don't get why Raimey didn't say anything to her mother over the radio. I know she was worried about changing things, but how could it get worse?

So does Raimey get new memories every time something changes? Like does she now remember a version where she didn't go to that guy's house yesterday? That's going to get really confusing for her soon. I do like that they seemingly confirmed the guy they talked to is the killer though. I expected them to drag it out all season.

The actress playing Raimey's mom looks so much like her. It's really great casting.

• Love 4

Sorry, I thought that was awful, as so well expressed by Sarah B.  I'm not sure if it's even worth giving it another shot.  To me, the problems are both the acting and the writing.  Acting - I assume they cast the mother/daughter in part because they look quite similar, but they also share a lack of acting ability.  Writing - geez, Raimy is such a selfish, unreasonable bitch.  Her poor dad can't even have one night to relax and be a normal person again?  She nags, nags nags him into telling her mom these, frankly (ha ha), unbelievable things and then completely undercuts him by refusing to talk to her.  This makes no sense whatsoever, either in terms of normal human behavior or her behavior as the show character.  And, her treatment of poor neighbor/friend Gordo is appalling.  The mom isn't much better - is it really so hard to understand that her husband wasn't present because he was an UNDERCOVER COP putting his life in danger each and every day as opposed to not being around because he has a second family or is spending all his time at the bar?

Seriously, these characters make no sense whatsoever.  Too bad, because I liked the movie, and like the actor playing Frank, and the character himself. Maybe I might have watched this in the summer, like I did American Gothic, but there really is so much more decent stuff to watch now.

I have to admit, I totally loved the Golf mom. 

• Love 11
2 hours ago, PreviouslyTV said:

Sarah D. Bunting is not a crackpot. She just thinks the creaky bitter-cop's-wife trope isn't one this show has time for. Or that any other show has time for.

Raimy braying at Frank about his selfishness in a fashion I just don't find believable,

View the full article

Unbelieveable except that her character in Tomorrow People was the same. Ugh. I thought in this show she was different. I'll give it one more shot. 

7 hours ago, mjc570 said:

Sorry, I thought that was awful, as so well expressed by Sarah B.  I'm not sure if it's even worth giving it another shot.  To me, the problems are both the acting and the writing. 

Oh thank god.  I couldn't even finish this. Payton List does not have the chops to pull this role off she has no affect. I am also not happy with her father's actor as I don't find him convincing. Plus, just me or does he look like he is on drugs. Dude not undercover anymore.  I saw last week that a lot of people didn't see the movie. But if you didn't, go get the movie and you will see how this is just ripping it off ... badly.  I also think it would just make sense that they TELL Julia. In the movie there wasn't time and she might not believed but here, with months to make her believe and numerous facts they could tell her about to make her believe... it is lame not to. 

Just me but... they let him bring a ham radio into a hospital? 

• Love 4

I liked the pilot, but I couldn't even finish this episode. Raimy was walking around like a crazy person. Why is she say out loud that her mother's not dead yet. Wouldn't that cause some concern with her co-workers? They could chalk it up to grief, which means she should be pulled of the case. Then she's yelling at her dad to tell her mom that some girl from the future that he's talking to on his Ham radio is saying she's going to be murdered in a couple of weeks. How does she think that's going to go? Especially since her parents are not together and the mom is still mad at him for doing his job? 

Of course with the ratings it's getting. I don't think it will be around much longer. 

• Love 10

I guess the writers thought it was more creative to have Raimey remain silent when her mother was willing to speak into the radio, but for me, it was the next to the last straw with this show. I get that she had done a 180 (for now) on changing things via radio communication to the past; maybe she thought that saving her mother would put herself in a comatose state on life support in 2016, and then she couldn't help catch the nightengale killer, but I can't buy that she would remain stoically silent when her recently (to her) deceased mother was calling out to her from the past. It seemed like the writers were manipulating the audience's emotions for no reason other than that they could, since next episode Raimey will likely do another 180. I love the premise of the show, but I loath soap operas.

• Love 8