Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E09: Otherwise Engaged

• Start Topic

It has recently been brought to my attention that Brian Austin Green was doing this in 2008: www.imdb.com/title/tt1086841/ "Impact Point", a direct to video volleyball/stalker thriller co-starring a pre-fame Joe Manganiello. Just sayin'.

David also tries his hand/face/furious eyebrows at braying.

Brandon was a bad influence on David.

Steve may have had doubts about his blind date, but not now that he's seen her...suggestive dancing?

Imagining positions, I'd say.

"Get bent, little boy."

That eye roll certainly earns her quite a few redemption points, if you ask me.

Cindy is justly disgusted by both her husband and her child

Cindy is regretting not having an exit plan to let her permanently escape from Jim and her kids.

(edited)

Cool it with the condemnation Braylord. If you didn't go over there for "dinner" to get some then why did you arrive looking like an extra in the cast of Soprano Babies? Also, put a hairnet on that thing, you're cooking. No one wants to dine on Pasta a la Brandon's Chest Hair. Button up and get over yourself!

Edited by STOPSHOUTING
  • Love 2

I'm not sure how this works for family court matters, but in most civil litigation, the parties can choose to be present or not at a witness's deposition. Usually it's just lawyers and the witness, and the lawyers Strongly Discourage their clients from saying anything if they're not the ones being deposed. Mel's comments would be part of the court reporter's record of the proceeding and his lawyer would probably call a break and hustle him out to cool his jets.

• Love 1

I'm both happy and sad that they started filming at Oxy shortly after I graduated. Happy, because I didn't have to put up with the disruption, and sad because Blousey there is doing his poetry reading in front of my old mailbox and I had a decent shot at punching him in the junk.

I DID get to fuck up a Melrose Place filming on my way to get a haircut, though, so I'll take some solace in that.

• Love 1
(edited)

When did Brenda even start to care about Stuart? Last episode she wasn't even sure she wanted to date him, let alone marry him. Now they're both sure this is true love all of a sudden?

Also, asshat, you can't "tear up" a prenup. It's a legal document filed with the court. It's like tearing up a marriage certificate doesn't make you divorced. Or shredding a birth certificate makes you dead. Idiots.

Oh and, FOR SURE the notary Brenda used was definitely Ohndrea. Because you just know Nana is one with her little stamp and seal in a bag.

Edited by STOPSHOUTING
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, AndySmith said:

Cindy is regretting not having an exit plan to let her permanently escape from Jim and her kids.

She should have gone with that photographer who she was having that mental affair with!

• Love 2

Another round of visual aids, another time to question my judgement on men in the mid-90s.  Why oh why did Brandon unbutton his shirt down past his chest?  And why did I see that and think "Oooh yeah, Brandon is my favorite!"  I will assume though that this episode is where Jax and Peter on Vanderpump Rules got their style inspo from.  

• Love 1

I had forgotten that GROSS exchange about "indoor sports". This guy makes Gil seem appropriate. Blegh. 

I was totally on Brenda's side this whole episode as usual. Jim and Dylan's plan was truly heinous, and I enjoyed her realizing that a prenup in their situation is 100% warranted. She's still an idiot of course, but it works for me. 

The talk between Jim and Dylan reminded me of their talk when Brenda had moved in with Dylan (and Jim blackmailed him into helping ship Brenda to Paris).  I thought it was way below the belt for Dylan to dangle them getting back together as a reason for her not to marry Stuart.  Brenda sure is following the forgive and FORGET about the summer of deception.  I'd be throwing that in everyone's face all the time.

Construction superintendents (which is what Maury most likely was) make BANK! I worked in that industry and an experienced super was really respected and making a ton of money, plus crazy bonuses.   And he along with the project exec would be in charge of ordering items including maybe some long lead items or critical path items (which the steel would be).  The savings on ordering things early would trump any crappy interest saved by the developer.  I can see why he finally ripped into Stuart.  He probably figured Brenda was another trust fund bimbo.

Final note- Dave needs to find a way to play the 90210 them on the pan flute... that would be freaking awesome! A lot of parents would listen to it.

• Love 3

Below the belt for Dylan to dangle? But not skeevy as all hell for Brenda to consider it UNTIL she realizes it's a trap set by her dad. It was more like, 'Oh, yeah, Dylan if you were an option I'd be totally into it,' and then five minutes later run off to marry Stuart. Umm, yeah, solid plan, Bren. Solid plan.

Just move to France already. Because "you have spoilt eet"

• Love 3
(edited)

She's getting engaged to a mega rich waspy guy she's known for two weeks and is all offended when his family wants a prenup? 

I feel like this is only a big deal and gripe on soaps and sitcoms. Like Ms Bunting observed it protects not only the money, but also inheriting any of your spouses debt should you split. I feel like psychologically and symbolically it sets things off on a practical and  positive note, rather than the negative one it's always depicted as- since you both know exactly what could happen and that neither of you are in this with any financial motive. 

Also every thing about the prenup needing to be notarized and ripping it up wouldn't cancel it out or negate the document. 

Edited by Petunia13
Typo!

I forgot Tracy Middendorf was on this show (Laura).  I always thought she looked a little like Jennie Garth.  Seems like a missed opportunity for a long lost sister storyline, writers!

I get why Brandon had 3 buttons undone mid-makeout but why did he have 2 undone in the first place?! And, button that third (and second) one back up before leaving the house and going out in public.

Confession--I used to like chenille sweaters.

it sets things off on a practical and  positive note

Well, exactly. And if it's true that couples fight most about money, what better time to figure out how to speak to each other productively about it? Thinking it's cynical/pessimistic is, I think, immature...so that would track with Brenda, but I doubt the writers purposefully made her reaction "young"; I think you're right and this is just one of those nighttime-soap conflict pegs.

• Love 1
(edited)
4 hours ago, STOPSHOUTING said:

Below the belt for Dylan to dangle?

By the way I must apologize for the visual anyone might have, due to my unfortunate wording, of things dangling below Dylan's belt. Stick insect peen. I am so sorry.

stickinsect.jpg

Edited by STOPSHOUTING
  • Love 7

I've never actually seen this episode so maybe I'm just confused. But, didn't Lucinda say her husband is "far away" which to me means across the country or in another country, not at work at the local university or giving a lecture nearby.

Also, I took the whole Brandon and Lucinda thing as Brandon decided it was OK to sleep with a married woman as long as her husband is "far away" and she says they have an agreement until he thinks it could impact his grade? So his moral high ground is that he can't sleep with his professor's wife because he might get a bad grade not because you don't sleep with a married woman without being sure the husband is totally down with it?

I think I've seen maybe 20 episodes of the entire series. Still, I love this podcast. I look forward to listening to it while working on seemingly endless spreadsheets.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Flamingo said:

Didn't Lucinda say her husband is "far away" which to me means across the country or in another country, not at work at the local university or giving a lecture nearby.

He was in San Diego, so -- too far for them to have to worry about him walking in, I guess.

5 hours ago, Flamingo said:

Also, I took the whole Brandon and Lucinda thing as Brandon decided it was OK to sleep with a married woman as long as her husband is "far away" and she says they have an agreement until he thinks it could impact his grade? So his moral high ground is that he can't sleep with his professor's wife because he might get a bad grade not because you don't sleep with a married woman without being sure the husband is totally down with it?

Well I'll go with that. I took it as basically I know your husband, this is just too wrong and it could screw up my marks rather than some moral high group. I mean if it wasn't Randall, he wouldn't have cared. 

9 hours ago, kfree9 said:

I get why Brandon had 3 buttons undone mid-makeout but why did he have 2 undone in the first place?! And, button that third (and second) one back up before leaving the house and going out in public.

Bran is the man with the plan. Preparation is key.

19 hours ago, Flamingo said:

Didn't Lucinda say her husband is "far away" which to me means across the country or in another country, not at work at the local university or giving a lecture nearby.

He was in San Diego, so -- too far for them to have to worry about him walking in, I guess.

Oh, right. I wasn't really making the Chargers/San Diego connection. Fair enough.

The prenup story lines are never about the money from the angry party. Not totally anyway. A prenup, for some people, is seen as way of stating that this marriage will not work out. You already have a plan for when it blows up. You are turning our marriage into a business deal which a lot of people it that way. So, why are you marrying me if there is any thought in your mind that divorce is going to happen. Which is why I'm never been annoyed by these plots. Because I understand both sides independent of what is more logical or makes more sense. There is also a lot of people where prenups are just not a thing no matter what class they are in. I've never talked to anyone personally that has ever said they got a prenup or even talked/thought about it.

This particular story line is dumb because the marriage is rushed as fuck. So, Stuarts parents have zero reason to trust Brenda at all. Of course, they want to protect their assets. Any logical person should understand that. But, we are talking about Brenda here.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Surrealist said:

I vaguely remember Kelly's father, Bill, having another daughter.

Yes- it was the end of the their senior year, turns out he had a whole other family in Mexico City, and that's why he ignored Kelly all these years (ooohhh! well, I guess that makes it all right?)  That was the same stupid plot where Valerie gives all her money to Parker Lewis in order to work with Bill Taylor, and that's a big ole scam (WTF?) and Bill has a graduation party with the Cardigans singing their one hit.  We never see that sister again, even when Kelly gets almost-married to Brandon.

I can remember such details... and I wonder why I can't do math in my head anymore.  I wish I could extract the brain space.

• Love 3

This is a weird question, but hasn't Brandon only had sex once, with Sheryl?  I know he's posturing with Lucinda about this "ability not to get full with snacks" or whatever (barf!!), but really he's fairly inexperienced, right? Or maybe he doesn't fill up on snacks by himself!

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, CurlyATX said:

This is a weird question, but hasn't Brandon only had sex once, with Sheryl?  I know he's posturing with Lucinda about this "ability not to get full with snacks" or whatever (barf!!), but really he's fairly inexperienced, right? Or maybe he doesn't fill up on snacks by himself!

SO TRUE! Though I think we're lead to believe he and Nikki had sex at least once? Wasn't that part of her whole dancing thing? Like some gross reference to him doing some other kind of dance? Or maybe I hallucinated that. 

maybe... but didn't they tell Rosie O'Donnell that they hadn't had sex yet?  But maybe that was before he realized that dancing made her amorous.  Either way- it's super gross.  I think aside from Sheryl's comment on his skillz, he really is a dork.  Later on, when he and Kelly break up, she mentions something about how they don't swing from the chandeliers.  And, way later... under hypnosis, Kelly says she'd take Dylan with her on a sexy desert island (or something like that... it was something to make Matt and Gina feel like shit).

30 minutes ago, CurlyATX said:

maybe... but didn't they tell Rosie O'Donnell that they hadn't had sex yet?  But maybe that was before he realized that dancing made her amorous.  Either way- it's super gross.  I think aside from Sheryl's comment on his skillz, he really is a dork.  Later on, when he and Kelly break up, she mentions something about how they don't swing from the chandeliers.  And, way later... under hypnosis, Kelly says she'd take Dylan with her on a sexy desert island (or something like that... it was something to make Matt and Gina feel like shit).

Other way around; they told Rosie they did have sex.  I mean, I highly doubt he's the sex god he's telling Lucinda he is, but I do think we are supposed to think that he had sex with Sheryl and Nikki.

• Love 1

I think they told Rosie they'd had sex but not with each other, but - and I don't know if there's anything canon to support this - I feel like they did after that. 

I think they implied he and Racist!Brooke had had sex when they were talking about the topics they could discuss and I also think it was implied that he had had sex with Nikki after the Rosie show. I was also always of the opinion that Emily lost her virginity to the Braymaster which induced her dickmatized psychosis...

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Klaw said:

I was also always of the opinion that Emily lost her virginity to the Braymaster which induced her dickmatized psychosis...

There was this whole thing after Dead Scott got Dead where they were making out and she was like 'but we're alive!' and it was strongly implied but when she was stalking him I think he said they never did. Although... he would, wouldn't he? 

it was strongly implied but when she was stalking him I think he said they never did. Although... he would, wouldn't he? 

I don't ever recall him saying something like that MissEwa...I only recall him rejecting her advances after they broke up. I didn't get the impression that that would've been their first time having sex, could be wrong though. But we're supposed to believe Bran the Man was a stud...and he delivers! Barf!!!

• Love 1