Type keyword(s) to search

Current Timeline: News and Media

On 8/7/2018 at 2:01 PM, Maximum Taco said:

Is it? It seems pretty formulaic. 

They find out the Mothership has gone somewhere, they chase it. They try to find out what Rittenhouse is trying to do there and stop whatever that is.  

In the first season there was a much higher emphasis on not damaging the timeline and trying to make sure things transpire exactly (or as close to exactly as possible) as they should.

In the second season they seem to be totally fine about imposing their own morals into situations and essentially don't care at all about messing with the timeline, as long as Rittenhouse's goal is foiled. 

But in both seasons there isn't really an overarching storyline or anything. There's no progression ever in either sides' plans. Rittenhouse keeps trying to screw with the past (in an effort to I guess make the present/future better for white males?) and the TimeTeam keeps trying to stop them, and in the end things end up exactly the same (even in the second season where they are just jumping rope with the timeline in certain cases.) How much more procedural can you get? 

Don't get me wrong, I like the show a whole lot, but that doesn't make it any less of a cop procedural with the added wrinkle of time travel. 

I was hoping for the series to kind of transition. Look at a series like Fringe. The first season was very much a "Case of the Week" style show, and it was very much a procedural in the spirit of The X-Files (another series which moved from a procedural format to include a more expansive storyline), but then it transitioned into a show with a more expansive storyline with story arcs going over the entire season and then series. 

In this sense it feels like they missed a big opportunity with the second season. They started messing with the timeline very early on. They should've been causing massive changes, why not have them go back to find out that they have drastically damaged the world they know, and then send them time hopping to try and fix it? They could even have someone who used to be on their side no longer on their side. Lucy, Wyatt and Rufus think they are always doing the right thing, but what if they come back to the present to find out they are now being hunted by Agent Christopher because of the changes they have been making to the timeline? They could've even brought in the concept of multiple timelines that they have created, and histories that deviate from what we know, but they never did, in actuality each episode ended in the same place it started. 

I would have considered such an abrupt thematic shift a confusing jump-the-shark moment that I neither needed nor wanted.  This show isn't "Sliders" or "Quantum Leap" and was never intended to be. And the showrunners have repeatedly said that there are NO multiple timelines, only the same one that keeps getting overwritten with each incursion into the past.  I prefer the show as it has always been -- too much wibbley-wobbly timey-wimey stuff would have turned it into something unrecognizable too soon.  It's the reason that the producers wisely decided NOT to introduce Future Lucy in the pilot (as had originally been the plan); that would have confused too many viewers, who had JUST been told that it's impossible for a person to re-visit a time in which he/she already existed.  As it was, many viewers were still confused when Future Lucy and Future Wyatt showed up at the end because they missed the point of that scene, which was to demonstrate that the problem had been permanently solved by Future Lucy and Future Wyatt's time.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, statsgirl said:

For me, they've  tainted Wyatt being with Lucy with how he's behaved to her since Jessica came back. (Granted I was never a fan of Lyatt to start with.) It's a hug hole they've dug themselves into.

It will be interesting to see if the writers can manage to find a way to satisfy both parts of the fandom.

THIS.  I'll be happy for a good '2hr' story focused on getting Rufus back, ending with a hopeful 'the gangs back together again' vibe.  But to somehow cram Lucy magically forgiving Wyatt -because ENDGAME 5EVAH OBVI (ugh)- for an entire season's worth of the shit he put her through + generally terrible decision making/bad behavior in all areas, is just NO.  There is no way in hell they can pull that off convincingly in a 2 episode grande finale.  So please, for the love of God, just don't even go there, writers. 

• Love 2

It would be more satisfying to me for Wyatt to have his happy ending even if Lucy has to be single (and get Amy back).

I don't see a way for Wyatt to have a "happily ever after" with Jessica either. Didn't we find out she was in cahoots with Rittenhouse? It's also possible she simply lied about the pregnancy - or that the baby is someone else's. 

I have to believe the writers' end game was Lucy and Wyatt or they never would have gone down that path, and that Jessica was only meant to be the obstacle to that end game for as long as the show could drag it out. They simply ran out of opportunity when the show was cancelled.

I'm not sure what the show plans to do for a grand finale, obviously, but I think the simplest path forward would be a total reset to how things were when the series started, before Lucy ever took a trip into the past. It sort of fixes everything if they manage to eliminate Rittenhouse somehow and then time travel never happens in the first place.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

I would have considered such an abrupt thematic shift a confusing jump-the-shark moment that I neither needed nor wanted.  This show isn't "Sliders" or "Quantum Leap" and was never intended to be. And the showrunners have repeatedly said that there are NO multiple timelines, only the same one that keeps getting overwritten with each incursion into the past.  I prefer the show as it has always been -- too much wibbley-wobbly timey-wimey stuff would have turned it into something unrecognizable too soon.  It's the reason that the producers wisely decided NOT to introduce Future Lucy in the pilot (as had originally been the plan); that would have confused too many viewers, who had JUST been told that it's impossible for a person to re-visit a time in which he/she already existed.  As it was, many viewers were still confused when Future Lucy and Future Wyatt showed up at the end because they missed the point of that scene, which was to demonstrate that the problem had been permanently solved by Future Lucy and Future Wyatt's time.

This show pretty much is Quantum Leap though, both shows involve time travel where in each episode they need to "fix" something before they can leave that time period. 

There are differences to be sure:

Dr. Sam Beckett has no control over his leaps and he has no clue where he is going and no idea about his goals, whereas the Time Team can control where they are going (even though in a larger sense they don't control where they are going cause all they really do is chase the Mothership), and know exactly where they are going and (using a knowledge of history) can at least guess at their goal (or more accurately guess at Rittenhouse's goal.) 

Dr. Sam Beckett never returns home, and the Time Team does continually go home. However it could be argued that in a larger sense they also never return home because they always end up in a timeline where things are slightly (or drastically) different. 

Both shows are equally as formulaic though. They leap, put right what once went wrong and leap again. 

You do have to balance confusing viewers with advancement of the plotline. I think they did make a good choice not including Future Lucy in the pilot. But I think they skewed way too far to the other side. The second season was way too stagnant, they didn't really advance the main plot at all, they just kept replacing it with side plots. This whole "Get Rufus Back" is just that, a side plot. It's not going to advance the main plot of stopping Rittenhouse at all, beyond the fact that having Rufus is better for their prospects then not having him. 

Edited by Maximum Taco

One of the biggest differences between Timeless and Quantum Leap is that QL put Sam and the viewer into positions where they had to experience the other side of a commonly accepted position and often we both ended up learning something. With Timeless it's pretty much the same agenda leaving as arriving.

On 8/9/2018 at 2:28 PM, iMonrey said:

I don't see a way for Wyatt to have a "happily ever after" with Jessica either. Didn't we find out she was in cahoots with Rittenhouse?

Rittenhouse saved Jessica's brother, and ever since she was a child she was told that Rittenhouse were the good guys.  She was probably told that she had to stop the Time Team for the good of the world.  For example, my father-in-law was a blue-eyed blond child growing up in Nazi Germany.  He was a good person at heart but he learned the dominant belief system of his elders.

If they had got a season 3, the show could have delved into how Jessica became aware that she was on the wrong side and what she did with that knowledge and how it affected her relationship with Wyatt. But there's no time for that now.

Speaking of which, there's a number of questions for the finale to answer as well as saving Rufus:, resolving Lucy's loss of Amy,  figuring out Wyatt and Jessica, and why did Future Lucy give her journal to  Flynn.

‘TIMELESS’ BANNER TAKES FLIGHT FOR LABOR DAY WEEKEND
Posted on August 28, 2018 By Lissete Lanuza Sáenz
http://fangirlish.com/timeless-banner-takes-flight-for-labor-day-weekend/

So, you guys want to get Rufus back or what?

For Timeless fans, that’s not just a quote, it’s a challenge, and it doesn’t truly stop at the two-hour movie event NBC will air this December, even if they’re presumably saving Rufus in those two hours.

No, for most Timeless fans, that’s just the beginning. They want a Season 3.

And that’s why the same Save Timeless banner that flew over San Diego Comic Con is taking to the skies once more, with an added bonus – a reminder to watch on Hulu. Because this show needs more eyes if it’s going to defy the odds for a third time.

Edited by tv echo
4 hours ago, bros402 said:

well crap, I don't want to head to the shore this weekend, the highway is gonna be hell

but i might have to

It's Labor Day Weekend, aka the official end of the summer holiday season.  The highways are going to be hell anyway, so you might as well go if you can.  Just be prepared to make a day of it.

19 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

It's Labor Day Weekend, aka the official end of the summer holiday season.  The highways are going to be hell anyway, so you might as well go if you can.  Just be prepared to make a day of it.

ehhh i'll just stay inside, was gonna head to the racetrack, but it's gonna be hell this weekend going anywhere

So to date, the Clockblockers have raised over $31,000.00 for their various "Save Timeless" projects since the show was canceled, including their latest effort, a table at the LA Comic Con.  Is that fan dedication, or what?

• Love 5
7 hours ago, ScorpioSoul said:

Get the lifeboat ready for one final ride- the date Dec 20, 2018. Finale movie date has been announced.

AND it starts at 8:00 PM EST.  December 20 is a Thursday, so the movie has been given what is considered NBC's prime timeslot!

• Love 3

Here's When Timeless' Series Finale Will Air
By Sadie Gennis | Oct 26, 2018 1:54 PM EDT
https://www.tvguide.com/news/timeless-series-finale-date/

We finally know when Timeless will come to an end (again). The twice canceled, twice revived NBC series' two-part series finale will air Thursday, Dec. 20 at 8/7c, NBC announced Friday.

The two-hour event will pick up shortly after the Season 2 cliffhanger and find Wyatt (Matt Lanter) and Lucy (Abigail Spencer) traveling across three centuries and two continents in an attempt to reverse Rufus' (Malcolm Barrett) death. The episodes will also take full advantage of the festive broadcast date, with the series finale including "a healthy dose of Christmas spirit," per NBC. So if we don't see Abigail Spencer and Matt Lanter wearing adorable Christmas hats the Clockblockers may have to send another helicopter message in protest.

In addition to the return of Spencer, Lanter and Barrett, Goran Višnjić, Paterson Joseph, Sakina Jaffrey and Claudia Doumit will also reprise their roles for the final series finale.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, possibilities said:

Damn. Why did they have to foul the show with Christmas crap? Couldn't they just let it be a show for everyone?

Christmas is for everyone, if you choose to participate. What is "Christmas crap" and how can it foul anything? It says "a healthy dose of Christmas spirit."; Peace on earth and good will to man sound familiar? I doubt they're going to try and hammer religion down anyone's throat and it's highly unlikely there will be angels and wise-men doing battle with Santa Clause. Even if you have no connection to it's religious roots, it's celebrated the world over as a time of forgiveness and renewal, for people to come together, despite their differences. The world needs that now more than ever, the way it's becoming so politically divided. If the show can reflect that and use this finale to send a positive message, then why shouldn't they? I don't see the point in getting upset and assuming it's going to be bad.

• Love 7
14 hours ago, possibilities said:

Christmas is for Christians. Not everyone finds it delightful and some of us are sick of having it invade things we'd otherwise enjoy.

I am not Christian and I celebrate Christmas and like seeing it on TV shows/movies. Obviously others have a right to disagree and hate Christmas invading everything.  I totally get that. But it isn't necessarily just for Christians.

However, I think it may be too soon to judge if"healthy dose of Christmas spirit" actually means Christmas is taking over the movie. NBC probably just wanted some Christmas reference since they are airing it in late December and think they need that to compete. I'm picturing it pops up in a final scene where we get to see everyone living happily ever after.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, KaveDweller said:

I am not Christian and I celebrate Christmas and like seeing it on TV shows/movies. Obviously others have a right to disagree and hate Christmas invading everything.  I totally get that. But it isn't necessarily just for Christians.

However, I think it may be too soon to judge if"healthy dose of Christmas spirit" actually means Christmas is taking over the movie. NBC probably just wanted some Christmas reference since they are airing it in late December and think they need that to compete. I'm picturing it pops up in a final scene where we get to see everyone living happily ever after.

This was basically my point. Christmas has become so commercialized and secular as a holiday that it has basically transcended religion to be all inclusive. As a supposed time of joy and hope, I just don't understand the nihilism some feel toward it. That said, I don't want or need this to be a Doctor Who Christmas special either, but nor am I expecting it to be.

My only problem with Christmas movies is I prefer movies which can be viewed at any time in the year.  As long as it isn't Rittenhouse trying to ruin Christmas by making sure "What A Wonderful Life" was never filmed, putting a hit out on Charles Dickens so he wouldn't write "A Christmas Carol", and going all the way to Bethlehem to set fire to the manger on the night Mary and Joseph are set to arrive.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, Camera One said:

My only problem with Christmas movies is I prefer movies which can be viewed at any time in the year.  As long as it isn't Rittenhouse trying to ruin Christmas by making sure "What A Wonderful Life" was never filmed, putting a hit out on Charles Dickens so he wouldn't write "A Christmas Carol", and going all the way to Bethlehem to set fire to the manger on the night Mary and Joseph are set to arrive.

Wutta ya talkin about, that sounds friggin' awesome, LOL!!! ;)

• Love 3
23 hours ago, Camera One said:

With the way this show handles disruptions to history, Rittenhouse could mess up the birth of Jesus and not have the timeline impacted.

I would actually enjoy seeing a time travel show explore how changes to pop culture had large impacts on history.  But that would be a whole different kind of show.

• Love 1

Christmas has its roots in pre-Christian pagan celebrations. So bring it on.

What I want to know is how they reset all the stuff they messed up so that they're back on the original timeline, but sans Rittenhouse? I mean ... they've changed a lot of stuff. Gotta undo it somehow ... (I'm predicting a Stargate SG-1-esque "Moebius" episode).

• Love 1

#SaveTimeless Campaign Turns Times Square into ‘Timeless’ Square
November 22, 2018  Lauren Busser
https://www.telltaletv.com/2018/11/savetimeless-campaign-turns-times-square-into-timeless-square/

Timeless fans aren’t giving up! On November 28th, they’ll be taking over two billboards in Times Square in the hopes of drawing everyone’s attention to the critically-acclaimed time-travel drama once again.

With a month until the bonus episode air, the timing is anything but coincidental. Hoping to catch traffic from the tree lighting at 30 Rock. The #SaveTimeless fan campaign hopes to grab the attention of thousands of new viewers.

Alyson Lamble, one of the chairs of the #SaveTimeless campaign discussed the date choice in a press release. 
“We were already well into planning the billboards and considering dates when NBC announced the December 20 air date for the bonus episodes in late October. As soon as we were able to confirm availability for the billboard locations on the 28th, it just felt right,” said Lamble in a press release.

“Times Square is, of course, a major tourist destination any time of year, but even more so over the holidays. With the Christmas Tree lighting ceremony at 30 Rock bringing added traffic into the city on that date, tens of thousands of people are going to see our message, with the potential to spread even further on social media. It was an opportunity we couldn’t pass up,” said Lamble. 

The thirty-second spot begins with a teaser advertising the show’s premise – “What would you do if you had a time machine? Would you change the past or try to protect it?” – and then include information about how to watch the series on Hulu, and Christmas-themed messaging advertising the bonus episodes airing on NBC.
The slot will run ten times per hour in a 24-hour period in the following locations.

Location #1 – Above the McDonald’s on Broadway between 46th and 47th streets. The 31’H x 55’W screen faces west onto the Broadway pedestrian plaza, adjacent to the TKTS booth and Duffy Square.

Location #2 – Above the Disney Store on Broadway between 45th and 46th streets. The 41’H x 72’W screen also faces west onto Times Square.
In the wake of their flight, the #SaveTimeless fan campaign has coordinated their efforts on social media, been in contact with the production studio, Sony Pictures Television, as well as contacting various streaming outlets in an effort to find Timeless a new home.

They also launched a website SaveTimeless.com where new viewers and returning fans can track the campaign-related projects and get involved in the group’s efforts.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Is someone rich funding these?  I can’t believe the funds are still coming in after everyone passed on the show and the two hour wrap up movie was announced. Abigail already has another gig if her show gets picked up by Hulu. 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Stuffy said:

Is someone rich funding these?  I can’t believe the funds are still coming in after everyone passed on the show and the two hour wrap up movie was announced. Abigail already has another gig if her show gets picked up by Hulu. 

This is an entirely grass-roots movement that makes the "save Star Trek" movement of 50 years ago look like amateur hour.

Oh, and in related news, the showrunners have begun releasing photos from the two-hour episode block.  Suffice it to say that the Clockblockers are going nuts trying to figure out the significance of every little detail of each photo -- especially one that has everyone except Lucy and Flynn in it all drinking a toast.

7 hours ago, Stuffy said:

I loved this show and am really glad we got a conclusion movie.. I'm grateful to all those who organized the efforts to get that. But I can't help thinking that there has to be a better use for some of this money at this point.

• Love 5
On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 8:52 PM, legaleagle53 said:

This is an entirely grass-roots movement that makes the "save Star Trek" movement of 50 years ago look like amateur hour.

Hey, I wrote a letter to NBC to save Star Trek!  No PCs or internet then, much less social media.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

Hey, I wrote a letter to NBC to save Star Trek!  No PCs or internet then, much less social media.

That's a good point, much harder to do it back then. I signed a petition or two to try and do my part to "Save Jericho" back in '06, and I thought THAT was an impressive campaign; it pales in comparison to this, I think. 

• Love 1

Two hours of my favorite show on tonight! I CAN'T WAIT! But so sad it will really be the last one, this after two other "last ones." Well, unless TPTB decide to move the story in a direction I don't like. Then I'll be good with it being the finale. I almost hope that's the case.

Edited by saber5055

Thank goodness I visited here... I thought it was next week for some reason.  I also realized my PVR still had "Timeless" scheduled to record, so it would have recorded regardless, but it's nice to have something to look forward to.

• Love 1

Ratings: Timeless Series Finale Steady in Demo vs. Season 2, Audience Rises
By Matt Webb Mitovich / December 21 2018, 8:19 AM PST
https://tvline.com/2018/12/21/timeless-ratings-series-finale-nbc/

NBC’s double-episode Timeless series finale on Thursday night clocked in with 3.22 million total viewers and a 0.6 rating, marking its biggest audience since the Season 1 finale while matching both Season’s 2’s average (2.5 mil/0.6) and its finale (2.4 mil/0.6) in the demo.

The first hour did about 3.5 mil and a 0.6, while the second drew 3 mil/0.6. (NBC notes that the due to a power outage in Philadelphia, the country’s No. 4 market didn’t tune in until 9:29 pm.)   TVLine readers gave the closure-filled (…yet Season 3-teasing) finale an average grade of “A-.”

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

Some post-mortem interviews by Timeless co-creator Shawn Ryan (there's more than what I quoted)...

'Timeless' Boss Breaks Down 'Magical' Series Finale and What a Potential Revival Could Explore (Exclusive)
By Philiana Ng‍ 6:59 PM PST, December 20, 2018
https://www.etonline.com/timeless-boss-breaks-down-magical-series-finale-and-what-a-potential-revival-could-explore

Was this the original ending you always envisioned for the story that you had to accelerate because of how things have gone with the show's bubble status?
[Shawn Ryan:]
In season one or season two, we never had a definitive way we knew we wanted to end the show because we didn't know if this was a four-season show, if this was a seven-season show or as it turns it, if it was a two-season show. We never really committed to it ourselves. There were certain ideas that we thought we would want to do in season three that we utilized here. We had to compress them and we had to switch gears. We had to change from making a serialized, ongoing, multi-episode television series into making a movie. How do we make this as enjoyable a viewing hour and 25 minutes as possible? Which is different than making eight or 10 episodes of television, where you're designed to leave the audience at the end of one episode going, "Ohh, I gotta come back to that next episode." It's a different task, so we just wanted to make something that was worthy of our fans.
Have you played all your cards yet, creatively speaking? Are you saving an idea or two just in case?
(Laughs.) Listen, I would say that we have played all our cards that involve the story threads that we have explored in seasons one and two. I feel like this is a really appropriate ending to those 28 episodes of television. I think the universe is bigger than just those story threads and if somebody came to us and said, "Hey, this movie actually did pretty well and we're interested in doing a movie every year or a movie every couple of years," or "We want to do six episodes of a Timeless miniseries," we'd have to do the work that we usually do but I think there's room for new story threads in that universe. To speak honestly, we really tried to play it both ways. We tried to play it as a definitive ending to these stories you've been following, a real resolution of these characters, and yet the door cracked open should there be an appetite to do more down the road in this universe.

That leads perfectly to my next question. The final scene features Paulina, the teenage girl Rufus and Jiya met at the science fair, sketching new time-travel machines and formulas for time-travel tech. That maybe the Time Team or someone else will be needed again to save the world. Was that your intention with ending the series with her and not the main trio?
Oh absolutely. The idea, as Connor Mason lays out, is this technology exists so, therefore, the threat is never fully extinguished. I like that idea. It doesn't contradict any of the endings that preceded it in the movie but it does leave open the idea that the Time Team might be needed again. Maybe they won't be? But maybe they will be.

Lucy and Wyatt finally get their happy ending. Were they always going to be endgame?
I don't know that that was 100 percent certain the entire run of the show. Certainly, they're the kind of romance that's set up in the pilot. But when we injected Jessica into the storyline, which really threw a wrench into that relationship and we saw Lucy and Flynn get closer, I'll admit that we saw the two of them together as terrific. We could see how those two characters have a lot in common in some ways and yet they are different; sometimes opposites attract. I don't know that at the end of season two, we had definitively laid out and decided for sure exactly how that love triangle would play out. But when we had to make the movie, we had to kind of declare one way or the other. The Lucy and Flynn thing was not something we designed as just as a fake thing or a distraction. I think that became a real friendship and relationship and bond that we certainly noticed in the writers' room.
I imagine the original cut was quite a bit longer. What ended up on the cutting room floor?
There was a nice Lucy-Agent Christopher scene after Flynn's death that we really cut for time. It was beautifully performed, it was nice, it was well-written but it didn't end up being completely necessary to the story and we just had to get down to time. I think that was the only scene that we had to cut in its entirety. There were lines here and there, picking up the pace in scenes. We started off close to 18 minutes over for the movie.

'Timeless' Series Finale: How Shawn Ryan Set the Stage for Another Comeback
DECEMBER 20, 2018 7:00pm PT by Jean Bentley
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/timeless-series-finale-explained-will-be-a-season-3-1171003

Once you knew you were coming back — again — what did you need to definitely include in the episode?
We had save Rufus. Can you imagine the fan backlash if we hadn't saved Rufus? We had to bring Flynn's character full circle. We had to address the Lucy/Wyatt, Lucy/Flynn love triangle one way or the other. We needed to address the idea that even when Rufus and Jiya get back together, there is something that's changed since she had been stuck in the 1880s for three years. She had changed a lot in the episode that aired back in March, and I think we needed to deal a real death blow to Rittenhouse.

Eric Kripke, Arika Mittman, Lauren Greer and I — it was the four of us that were working on this — we wanted to feel a real sense of victory. I know people are sad and like, "We don't want it to end, we don't want this to be the finale," but one of the advantages when you're writing something [like this] is that you don't have to hold stuff back and say, “Well, we've got to make eight more episodes after this so we can't really resolve this.” You can really dive in and resolve things with Jessica, and resolve things with Emma and Rittenhouse. So that was all important, and we wanted to, selfishly for each of our seven series regulars, make sure that they all had specific great moments for their characters.
You mentioned this as an advantage, but it could have been a hindrance too: You do only have these two hours to wrap everything up, so do you wish you were able to build up tension and spend more time with some plot points?
There were some moments or storylines where I thought, "Wow, if we had like four episodes to play this out would have been great," but pretty early on we adopted the mindset of making more of a movie here than making 10 episodes of television. Our models here have to be more Back to the Future than Quantum Leap in that sense. I think the total running time is like an hour and 25 minutes. We have this time, and what's the best usage of this time?

Also, we don't want this to only be something that can be viewed by hardcore fans of the show. If someone never even heard of Timeless before and they're flipping around and they come across NBC at 8 p.m., how can we grab their attention and go, "OK, I don't know everything that's going on here," but it's kind of like going and watching a Marvel movie and maybe you haven't seen the Marvel movies that have come before it, but you have enough of a sense in what's going on that you can enjoy that. We just wanted to create something that the people would be able to watch and enjoy.
And in the final scene of the little girl coming up plans for her own time machine, was that you leaving the door open for a potential sequel or spinoff or continuation of some sort?
There's definitely a door open if someone is interested in opening it further, absolutely.

Edited by tv echo

I know Paulina was supposed to be the opening if the show ever returns, but I think another avenue is Emma. The way they lingered on her body for a moment makes me think she wasn't dead.  Imagone the havoc if the North Koreans captured her and tortured her for information about the glowing eyeball they saw disappear. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Maverick said:

I know Paulina was supposed to be the opening if the show ever returns, but I think another avenue is Emma. The way they lingered on her body for a moment makes me think she wasn't dead.  Imagine the havoc if the North Koreans captured her and tortured her for information about the glowing eyeball they saw disappear. 

I don't see how she could have survived. She was caught directly in the cross-fire of an attack that was supposed to have killed Lucy, Wyatt, Rufus, and Jiya instead.  It seems to me more that not only is Emma "merely dead, she's really most sincerely dead," and the lingering shot of her body was meant to drive home the point that she was in the end destroyed by her own plotting to destroy the time team.  That's poetic justice at its finest.

• Love 4

If this is the end of the show, I agree she's really dead.  But if it does come back, there's no reason she couldn't have been seriously wounded but ultimately saved.  Its a very soapy trope, which this show embraces.  

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Maverick said:

I know Paulina was supposed to be the opening if the show ever returns, but I think another avenue is Emma. The way they lingered on her body for a moment makes me think she wasn't dead.  Imagone the havoc if the North Koreans captured her and tortured her for information about the glowing eyeball they saw disappear. 

I thought exactly the same thing!  The usual rule is "no dead body, no death", but nobody went over to check for a pulse. I wondered if, when the Time Team came back to the present, they would find out that North Korea (or China!?!) had a glowing eyeball of their own!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, j5cochran said:

I thought exactly the same thing!  The usual rule is "no dead body, no death", but nobody went over to check for a pulse. I wondered if, when the Time Team came back to the present, they would find out that North Korea (or China!?!) had a glowing eyeball of their own!

They would have picked up on that as soon as they got back.  And don't forget how cold it was in North Korea.  If the gunfire didn't kill Emma, the cold most certainly would have because she'd have been frozen to death before the Chinese or North Koreans checked her -- if they even would have bothered.  She was American, and therefore the enemy, so they would have left her to die even if they hadn't already thought she was dead.  They didn't take prisoners, so no one who was not North Korean or Chinese would have made it out of there alive.

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 1