Type keyword(s) to search

Season 1-3 Discussion

• Start Topic

21 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Ketchup on hot dogs disgusts me, and I was shocked that a few of the celebrities said that too. I said mustard.

Good panel.

I said mustard too..but then again, you can be shot in Chicago (where I'm from) if you ask for ketchup on a hotdog (kidding, kind of.) But it really is a *thing* here.

• Love 2
  • Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was just such an old reference. That's the problem there isn't a specific thing associated with Alec. If the clue had been written the other way (they write something about Alec and Billy, and Stephen were the blank) then you get the obvious bible. But they've done a Stephen question before. I think they think they're cute doing clues about the host and panel but they're almost always too ambiguous. Although I guess people got it in enough of the same vein since so many said wife, but it was heavily implied it was something the Baldwin's did as children...and he's not that much older than his brothers, so you had to try and just pick something associated with his overall personality. Didn't work for me. I think it was dumb luck the panelists managed to match each other at all.

• Love 1

Rosie O'Donnell has a blog where she takes questions, and someone asked why it seemed that celebrities weren't even trying to match. Rosie replied that "the questions sucked." I must say I kinda agree. The questions on this version of the show are kind of smutty and wit-less. The older show had questions that were imaginative and absurd.

• Love 3

If the clue had been written the other way (they write something about Alec and Billy, and Stephen were the blank) then you get the obvious bible.

Meanwhile, I had to wonder what they would have said for Daniel.  (For the record, I said "first photographer he punched."  He's only been married twice so I didn't think about it.

Ketchup on hot dogs disgusts me, and I was shocked that a few of the celebrities said that too.

(sneaks into the corner to eat her ketchup smothered hot dogs.)

• Love 3

The Trump-like parrot one was really tough. Too many possibilities

The ironic thing is that only a couple of years ago, the definitive answer would have been "You're fired" yet it didn't even come up once here. 

• Love 3

Failing show Match Game couldn't even come up with a good match.  SAD!

I ordinarily really dislike Mario Cantone (he's funny, but can be helped when he dials it back from 11), but I thought him and Von being sympatico was great.  Of course Von was going to say "Dolly."  Although if I was being more up to date, I'd probably have said Katy Perry.

I also thought of "wife."  Which is weird, since he's only been married to Kim and Hilaria.

Any show with Neicy Nash gets an A+ from me, so everything else was gravy.

• Love 1
40 minutes ago, starri said:

I also thought of "wife."  Which is weird, since he's only been married to Kim and Hilaria.

I didn't think 'wife'because he was 35 years old when he married her and then had a long break before remarrying.  The only reason I would associate him with marriage is because of the movie he did with his first wife, The Marrying Man.

Yeah, let's give Alec a break, he's only been married twice. Our current President has been married three times and was actively cheating on his first wife with his second one before he married her. Haha...it's not like Alec is some serial playboy or something.

Edited by Phishbulb
  • Love 3
(edited)

The contestants this time seemed extra annoying, especially Big Momma's Boy.  Pooped a peacock indeed.

I didn't care for either the Bill Clinton or Jersey Shore questions. I didn't think there were any good matches for either.  Maybe tan for Jersey Shore but eh.

I would have never come up with green tea.  It's funny that the first things that popped into my head on the final answers were Green Acres and Captain Kangaroo.  But when Matthew told Jane that was the right answer for Captain, I was thinking she wrote Captain Hook.

I liked everyone on panel individually, but they didn't gel as well as I would had hoped. Fun but not fantastic.  Jane was probably the star, and Valerie was rather endearing always defending her answers. Matthew Morrison kinda seemed like he wanted to be anywhere else. They should probably just give the Charles seat to Mario Cantone.

Edited by vb68
30 minutes ago, vb68 said:

Maybe tan for Jersey Shore but eh.

I never watched the show but I knew they had an expression they used all the time but I couldn't remember.  Then good old Busy threw up her card with GTL.  I love that she knew that answer.  And GTL is the "right" answer to that question, IMO.  The biggest problem with that question was that it was a pop culturally relevant question from so many years ago.  I don't think The Jersey Shore is the kind of show that will have a long tail of relevance to make that question a good one.

For the moon question, while I do think "craters" is a good response, I would have said cheese.

And for once, I think the judges were too lenient with an answer.  For the Einstein question, "relative" is such a uniquely perfect answer, I feel like "cousin" was a bit too random.  (And I probably would have said cousin.)

• Love 1

I think there's historical precedent that generally if the panel gives the general and the contestant the specific, they usually call it a match, but never the other way around. I think someone on an earlier episode got away with giving an answer of "arm" (or maybe leg) and a clever panelist probably knew it'd split one or the other and answered "limb" and they got it, or something like that. So while I disagree with "relative" being a "right" answer (since it's WAY too on the nose for a clue involving the word "relativity") I understand why they gave it to 'em for cousin. If she'd said "relative" and they'd said "cousin" it would've been buzzed. I'm also pretty sure "cousin" is what the writers were expecting the answer to be.

I agree the Jersey Shore one would've made more sense, and been way less difficult, maybe five years ago if not a little longer, even for people who never personally watched that show. At least it got a ton of press (and comedians mocking it) so it would've been more easy to come up with something.

The Bill Clinton one I struggled to come up with an answer I would've been remotely confident in. On the other hand, the DiCaprio/poker one I thought had too many that could make sense: full house, flush, four of a kind, 2 pair, even the answer the contestant gave, straight, wasn't terrible.

On green I never would've come up with tea or thumb. My impulses were all decidedly more comic-bookey (but I would've also known they wouldn't match, still everything that came to mind was goblin, lantern, hornet).

• Love 1
(edited)

Not a great episode, simply because most of the questions were really too open ended (or in the case of Jersey Shore, you would have needed to watch it a few times to give a decent answer.)  But pooped a peacock?  I said sold, never even thought of plucking it because what would that do for the bottom line?

Final answers for me were Green Giant and Captain Hook.

Edited by mtlchick

The feathers are theoretically valuable, so rather than selling the whole bird, you could sell off the feathers. I thought that one was a bad clue anyway though because it was ambiguous as to whether they meant things were terrible financially or qualitywise or all of the above. So it was way too wide open. But I agree some variation on sold/plucked/ate probably made most sense. That one was on the contestant for botching it.

(edited)
14 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

For the Einstein question, "relative" is such a uniquely perfect answer, I feel like "cousin" was a bit too random.  (And I probably would have said cousin.)

I said cousin, then was mad at myself for not thinking of relative. 

1 hour ago, theatremouse said:

The feathers are theoretically valuable, so rather than selling the whole bird, you could sell off the feathers. I thought that one was a bad clue anyway though because it was ambiguous as to whether they meant things were terrible financially or qualitywise or all of the above. So it was way too wide open. But I agree some variation on sold/plucked/ate probably made most sense. That one was on the contestant for botching it.

The financial aspect of "bad" didn't even occur to me. I thought about quality. And yet, I came up with plucked even though I wondered what that had to do with bad quality programming. I didn't think about it too much; it's just that plucked fit so well.

I wasn't really that thrilled with the panel. Tituss is always good. I love him. Jane was also good. Matthew was kind of a dud, as was Taye. At the beginning I thought I was going to like Valerie, but I got really tired of her explaining her answers. I liked Busy more than I expected. 

The contestants did seem ... odd somehow. Usually they are very animated and kind of like bad actors. But, with the exception of Dan, who is probably an exception in any case you could come up with, the other three seemed to show their disappointment plainly. Oh, and I was struck by how much Arianna's and Meredith's hair looked alike.

For the Bill Clinton question, I came up with Department of the Interior. I sorta liked that one. For the Leo DiCaprio one, I said "a great pair." Now, I know that a pair in poker isn't all that great, but that was my answer. For the Oscar Mayer question, I first thought of edible panties (which one of the celebs put down), but then I decided on sheets. 

The Captain I chose was Captain America. I thought that was THE answer because of The Avengers movies. I didn't realize there were so many good Captain answers. 

Edited by peeayebee
1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

I said cousin, then was mad at myself for not thinking of relative. 

Don't be mad at yourself. He did marry his cousin. If anything could be considered the right answer, cousin was it.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Matthew was kind of a dud, as was Taye.

What the fuck was Kid Whiz all about?

16 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I thought I was going to like Valerie, but I got really tired of her explaining her answers.

Boy, that schtick got old real quick.  So far this was the worst panel.  Thank goodness for Titus and Jane.

6 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

What the fuck was Kid Whiz all about?

I just now realized he was thinking Whiz Kid. I knew what he said didn't make sense, but I couldn't figure out what he was going for.

• Love 1

I honestly don't think the jersey shore question was bad. You didn't need to watch the show to have a guess. All you need to know is general jersey shore stereotypes  (hair gel, tans, gold chains etc.) 

But, hey I guessed gtl right away. The show was five years ago but I still have my memory. It wasn't a hard reach.

On 4/4/2017 at 10:33 PM, roctavia said:

I thought the Clinton one would have been his "commander in chief"   but it was a tough question since the answer could go any direction.

I like that one. For once, I was stumped and couldn't think of an answer. 

On 11/16/2016 at 2:10 PM, jumper sage said:

Still watching the old show on Buzzr.  For the final 2 questions the host explains, after of course, that the first question where the contestant picks three celebs and picks one answer to match to get the money level;

Example:  Blank checker

The highest money answer was Chubby for Chubby Checker.

Now the contestant has to pick one celeb and match for the big money.

Example from the Chubby Checker:  Blank deaf

The answer was Tone Deaf and the host explained to the audience that the first question's best answer is a clue to the big money question.

Interesting!

Yes, I am quoting myself.  This past show was a great example of this rule.  In the first contest the contestant picked the celeb that said the blank was fingers. (Was the question Blank crossed?)  Anyways.  Fingers was the highest money valued so going into the final question where contestant and celeb should match exactly, both should have done a riff on fingers.  The question was green blank.  I automatically thought thumb as it goes with fingers and it was the built in clue.  The celeb said thumb but the contestant said tea.  WTF?  They need to do practice with both contestants and celebs.

Valerie B. was horrible.

So often we're left wondering if one of the contestants will manage to score even one point in two rounds in order to take the win.  It was nice that the first round would give at least one contestant a point or two.  And then the second round would add on a few more.  That was a sign of good questions. 

• Love 2

I felt bad for the guy in round one. I thought he should had taken it. But yeah, it was nice thinking both the contestants that round had a brain.

I was amazed that "foreign" language wasn't the top answer. Also, Main (blank) was very easy IMO. I couldn't even think of anything else besides Street.

Panel was OK. Jay was quite funny, but I'm fan to begin with. He made me laugh ciding Tyson, who was also better than I was expecting, for saying " pee pee".  I really don't like Adam, and Caroline Rhea still just screams "third or fourth choice but we needed someone" to me.  I did like her bagging Adam on his spelling. Ana always shines and seems very intelligent, and Jenna was very sweet at the end. 

Bring back Jay. If anything, I think he wanted to go even more adult than he did.  Maybe I just miss him on SNL.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, vb68 said:

I was amazed that "foreign" language wasn't the top answer. Also, Main (blank) was very easy IMO. I couldn't even think of anything else besides Street.

I thought of "main course."

Honestly, if the panel had been better, that first round could have been the best one they've ever had.  The contestants were both actually good.

If I was a contestant, I'd probably default to Ana during Supermatch.  Out of all the regular panelists, she seems like the one closest to this version's Richard Dawson.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

That was a sign of good questions. 

Also a sign the contestants weren't fucking idiots.

7 hours ago, vb68 said:

Bring back Jay.

Please don't.  He did the same thing on Hollywood Game Night; went for the cheap instead of helping the civilian win some money.  Stay home.

Edited by sugarbaker design
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, vb68 said:

Ana always shines and seems very intelligent

She was the only one who did what I thought the majority of the panel would do, which was get in a dig at Trump with the Satan question (Her answer was "Presidential nominee"). I guess "politician" is a non-partisan way of getting that across though. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, starri said:

I thought of "main course."

Good answer! My brain locked in at Street. 

45 minutes ago, Phishbulb said:

he was the only one who did what I thought the majority of the panel would do, which was get in a dig at Trump with the Satan question (Her answer was "Presidential nominee"). I guess "politician" is a non-partisan way of getting that across though. 

I noticed that. So these episodes were still filmed last summer or thereabouts.  And I agree.  My answer was "President" and couldn't believe no one went there until I saw Ana's answer.

• Love 1

(Jay) did the same thing on Hollywood Game Night; went for the cheap laugh instead of helping the civilian win some money.

And we don't even know what he wrote because they blurred and bleeped it out. What's the point of going for that "joke" if the TV audience can't even hear the punchline? Is he there to warm up the studio audience? The question was about musical instruments (trombones, trumpets, etc.) - what did he write down? Dick? That doesn't even make any sense. 

Caroline Rhea was just trying too hard. It's like her agent told her to tell more jokes so she could get another stand up gig or something. 

It still bugs me when one contestant gets a question where there's really only one obvious answer ("instead of telling kids not to play with matches, he's telling them not to play with blank") and the other contestant gets a question with a multitude of potential answers ("she tried to scramble the egg while it was still in the blank"). But then again, both contestants are basically flipping a coin (A or B) to see which question they get so, {shrug}?

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

It still bugs me when one contestant gets a question where there's really only one obvious answer ("instead of telling kids not to play with matches, he's telling them not to play with blank") 

My mind didn't really go to "themselves" for this, especially since (as Ana pointed out) that would actually be a good way of PREVENTING STDs, unwanted pregnancies, etc. As shameful as it is, "penises" was the first thing I thought of (so I guess I would have matched with Tyson).

• Love 4
4 hours ago, iMonrey said:

And we don't even know what he wrote because they blurred and bleeped it out. What's the point of going for that "joke" if the TV audience can't even hear the punchline?

This makes me feel better.  I thought it must had been something fairly obvious that I just was not getting.  I have no clue what he wrote.

4 hours ago, iMonrey said:

It still bugs me when one contestant gets a question where there's really only one obvious answer ("instead of telling kids not to play with matches, he's telling them not to play with blank") and the other contestant gets a question with a multitude of potential answers ("she tried to scramble the egg while it was still in the blank")

But on the scrambled egg one, I really did think the obvious answer was "chicken."   I guess shell if you don't  continue the train of thought, but I felt bad for the contestant because I thought (he?) should have won the round with it.  So you really can never tell how it's going to play out. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, iMonrey said:

It still bugs me when one contestant gets a question where there's really only one obvious answer ("instead of telling kids not to play with matches, he's telling them not to play with blank")

I was glad Ana pointed out how illogical that question was. I did feel that "themselves" was supposed to be the obvious answer, but I rebelled against that. The only thing I could come up with was "perverts." I hated the question.

5 hours ago, April Bloodgate said:

For the Bill Clinton question, I came up with "Chief of Staff". I thought the pun on "staff" was clever, but I wouldn't have expected to get any matches.

Excellent! I thought mine (Dept of the Interior) was good, but in comparison to yours it's lame.

1 hour ago, vb68 said:

But on the scrambled egg one, I really did think the obvious answer was "chicken."   I guess shell if you don't  continue the train of thought

I didn't think either was better than the other. It was a toss-up. Chicken is probably funnier, esp if you visualize it, but scrambling an egg in its shell is dumb enough for Dora.

I liked Caroline Rhea much better than the last time she was on. I did not really like Jay. I'm glad I'm not alone in wondering what he wrote (and said) that was bleeped/blurred. My guess is something like "cock-horn."

I was kinda stuck for a good answer on the Garth Brooks/gymnastics question. I went with "pains" partly because it sounded good in the lyric. "I've got pains in low places..." 

I was also struggled for an answer in the old fraternity brothers question. I said "Tylenol." That was bad. I think Ensure was the best answer.

• Love 1

But on the scrambled egg one, I really did think the obvious answer was "chicken."

My first thought was "shell" and my second thought was "carton." Chicken never occurred to me, although obviously it should have.

I was kinda stuck for a good answer on the Garth Brooks/gymnastics question.

So was I because I'm not a country-western fan and couldn't name a Garth Brooks song if you put a gun to my head. I figured it must be a play on one of his songs but I was drawing a blank.

My mind didn't really go to "themselves" for this, especially since (as Ana pointed out) that would actually be a good way of PREVENTING STDs, unwanted pregnancies, etc.

Somehow I doubt even the most modern and liberal sex ed classes encourage kids to play with themselves.

3 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I was also struggled for an answer in the old fraternity brothers question. I said "Tylenol." That was bad. I think Ensure was the best answer.

I said "Metamucil", which....I think is the same thing as Ensure, maybe? I don't know what Ensure does, to be honest with you. 

• Love 1
37 minutes ago, Phishbulb said:

I said "Metamucil", which....I think is the same thing as Ensure, maybe? I don't know what Ensure does, to be honest with you. 

Metamucil is a fiber supplement; Ensure is a meal replacement/nutritional shake (kind of like SlimFast, but without the weight loss aspect). I was torn between both of those, but I also thought about prune juice and Mylanta. Too many good options.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, iMonrey said:

And we don't even know what he wrote because they blurred and bleeped it out. What's the point of going for that "joke" if the TV audience can't even hear the punchline? Is he there to warm up the studio audience? The question was about musical instruments (trombones, trumpets, etc.) - what did he write down? Dick? That doesn't even make any sense. 

I'm 90% sure he did write dick, which is why everyone there threw up their hands at his doing it. It didn't make sense. I could see maybe writing that when completely at a loss for an answer and wanting to still get a laugh, but seriously, it's a band. Pick any phallic instrument and it's a better answer.

• Love 1

I also thought about prune juice and Mylanta. Too many good options.

I also thought of "Geritol" but I don't even know if they make that anymore, let alone whether anyone uses it! Showing my age now.

• Love 4

What came to mind for me was main-land.  I think I've been dreaming about visiting Scotland and its isles too much lately.

On 4/10/2017 at 4:47 PM, peeayebee said:

I was glad Ana pointed out how illogical that question was. I did feel that "themselves" was supposed to be the obvious answer, but I rebelled against that. The only thing I could come up with was "perverts." I hated the question.

Me too.  I didn't think of themselves and the logic wasn't great.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I also thought of "Geritol" but I don't even know if they make that anymore, let alone whether anyone uses it! Showing my age now.

Yup. That was one my first thoughts, but I figured it was way out of date.

• Love 1