Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: Estranged Arrangement

In the second season premiere, three new couples are introduced, featuring a couple who face a mother's wrath; an Orthodox Jewish couple who struggle to follow the strict rules; and an Indian couple who clash after learning the woman becomes "property" after vows are exchanged.

Apparently, the producers STILL couldn't find any actual arranged marriages. I don't count running into a friend you knew in grade school and then dating being arranged. Nor do I count someone's brother setting a couple up or dating your boss to be "arranged."

They need to change the name of the show to "Just some Regular People Getting Married."

That said, the Jewish girl is whiny. The Texas girl is trashy. The Indian girl is fine at the moment. We'll see.

• Love 7
(edited)

Hey guys, if you wear a dress 6 sizes too small your zipper may bust open! Who knew? 

I don't know if I can take another season of, "In the South, we _____." Thank god ya'll value family down there. We toss ours out like garbage up here north of the Mason-Dixon line. I'm gonna have to FF through their scenes going forward. I can't handle the manufactured drama and MIL bashing. None  of them are winners as far as I can see. 

The Othodox girl made me want to cry. She seems like someone who will HATE her life a few years and a few kids down the road. She seems so unsure about this monumental commitment of becoming more traditional. Do it for you, honey, not because your man will be disappointed if you don't. I didn't even realize women used wigs for religious head coverings. 

Edited by Squirrely
  • Love 10
(edited)

Now I have heard two things this week regarding religious practices... a local church doesn't allow women in the pulpit. I don't know why but am going to ask the person who told me. We were talking about something else and I forgot to go back to it. And now tonight we learn a married woman has to cover her head in the Orthodox Jewish faith. IDK, but she seems to be somewhat oppressed already. I was bored. Thank goodness there was some Christian and Maria.

Edited by ethalfrida
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, Squirrely said:

Hey guys, if you wear a dress 6 sizes too small your zipper may bust open! Who knew? 

I don't know if I can take another season of, "In the South, we _____." Thank god ya'll value family down there. We toss ours out like garbage up here north of the Mason-Dixon line. I'm gonna have to FF through their scenes going forward. I can't handle the manufactured drama and MIL bashing. None  of them are winners as far as I can see. 

The Othodox girl made me want to cry. She seems like someone who will HATE her life a few years and a few kids down the road. She seems so unsure about this monumental commitment of becoming more traditional. Do it for you, honey, not because your man will be disappointed if you don't. I didn't even realize women used wigs for religious head coverings. 

Yeah, that's a thing in the Orthodox community. I remember years ago reading a book about the wedding industry-the author attends lots of weddings, and remarks on how the married women at an Orthodox wedding all have the same, Pat Nixon hair. I also read "Unorthodox" by Deborah Feldman, an Orthodox woman who leaves her community after marrying young. Wow. She couldn't even wear pants. 

LOL, as I was watching I was muttering "oh, here we go again--in the south, we sit on furniture. In the south, we brush our teeth." Dear lord. The bride and the MIL were both unbearable in their own special ways. the groom seems like a big palooka who will be miserable for the rest of his life as he runs interference between them. 

Mostly, these people are BORING. Dullsville. 

• Love 4

Yeah once again these couples are so not arranged in the true sense of the practice but I still watched.

I feel sorta sorry for the jewish girl as she seems so overwhelmed.   Moving from a secular world to an orthodox one is going to be hard.   

Southern guy must hate his life between his mommy and now annoying wife Taylor.   He should run far, far, far away from both.

• Love 2

They couldn't find one truly arranged pair? Same formula as the first season. A southern couple, Indian couple from Cali, and a young couple where the woman is giving up everything. I think she's going to regret it down the line. She already seems stifled and not exactly over the moon to be getting married. 

• Love 7

The family from Texas, I couldn't decide who I hated more and kept talking to them through my television, "PLEASE don't get married!"

I never knew about the wig thing in the Jewish Orthodox faith.  I really don't get why it's not OK to show your real hair but OK to show fake hair but, whatever.  I think the groom is adorable and simply lovable. 

I love the father of the bride in the Indian couple as well. 

I wanted to watch this show, but I am far too high class for it. Excuse me while I send photos to my son, so he knows he marrying a lesser woman than I am. But, if she ever wears blue (that's my color!!) I will smite her. How do you know how high class I am? I just told you.

• Love 12

How is the Indian woman's marriage any more arranged than her first one?  Wouldn't this be considered a "love marriage" too?  Her inability to talk about her first marriage without getting overwhelmed, sad and teary makes me think she's certainly not in the right emotional place to try again.  To start right off giving your groom the side eye and feeling that he may not be trustworthy or that history is going to repeat itself is an awful way to begin a marriage.  Does she even like this guy?  I don't know, there's a lot of "I HAVE to do this" feeling behind her getting married.  Yet she seems convinced it's already not going to work out.

• Love 5

I'd count the Jewish couple as being arranged because it seems like they basically used a matchmaker.  You might even be able to say the same thing about the Indian couple.  The southern couple is basically the opposite of an arranged marriage.  The whole point is that your family knows what you need so if the parents don't approve. . . . Not to mention that they don't seem that religious.  I can't believe they couldn't find a true love waits courting couple to use, a girl whose father picked out her husband for her.

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, Kiki620 said:

How is the Indian woman's marriage any more arranged than her first one?  Wouldn't this be considered a "love marriage" too?  Her inability to talk about her first marriage without getting overwhelmed, sad and teary makes me think she's certainly not in the right emotional place to try again.  To start right off giving your groom the side eye and feeling that he may not be trustworthy or that history is going to repeat itself is an awful way to begin a marriage.  Does she even like this guy?  I don't know, there's a lot of "I HAVE to do this" feeling behind her getting married.  Yet she seems convinced it's already not going to work out.

I was confused too about how the Indian couple was arranged; she said they met when he hired her. How is that different from any other couple who meets at work? I'm guessing that they kind of skipped over dating and are just going right through the Hindu marriage rituals, but I'm not even sure about that. In any event, they weren't arranged in the sense that their parents picked them to be together given that her father (who cracked me up with his comment about wanting 13 kids to make a cricket team) said no when asked for his daughter's hand.

I'm guessing that at 33, she's feeling the biological clock pressure. She's probably expected to have kids and may want them herself outside of that expectation, and the biological clock is real. I've definitely known women who wanted kids and married the person they were with at the time when they felt like they should have kids.

I was interested in the Jewish couple because I've known a few Jewish people who became more religious than their families. My mother has a Jewish friend with three sons, and one of them is Orthodox - lives in Israel, at that. He married a non-Jewish, non-white woman who converted and is all in - doesn't wear pants, covers her head, no birth control (they have five or six kids), etc. I had another college friend who isn't Orthodox but is more religious than her parents and sibling. Ben seems more solid in his faith than Vicki, and Vicki's mother seems ... less than enthused about all this. I thought it was interesting that Ben's mother didn't cover her head; I wonder if Ben is more religious than his parents?

Taylor wears too much makeup (it was in her hair) and is a drama queen. Very curious to see the "I regret marrying you" comment from her husband that was in a preview; how do you come back from that? And why is it "the right thing to do" to invite your MIL and/or mother to your bachelorette party, particularly one where there will be strippers? Is that a thing? And having your friend set you up with his brother is not an arrangement.

• Love 3
22 hours ago, Squirrely said:

<snip>

If memory serves, Oprah once did a show (years ago) in which she visited with either an Orthodox or Hasidic Jewish family in NY. That's when I first learned about the wig thing. I believe it was also on that program that it was mentioned there's a lot of competition between women in the community insofar as who has the nicest, most expensive wig.

To me, this is no different than Islam requiring women to cover their hair with a hijab. But, in some ways, I think wearing a wig is kind of "cheating." The teaching in both religions is that a woman's hair is her beauty, only to be viewed by her spouse. However, these expensive human hair wigs are usually purchased with the same color/texture hair and in a very similar style to the woman's natural hair color/texture and style, so the average person coming in contact with her, unless the individual knew her personally, would not know she is wearing a wig anyway. To me, it seems like adhering to "the letter of the law," but not "the spirit of the law," if you know what I mean. So why bother at all?

BTW - The Christian Bible also says a woman should cover her hair (when praying or prophesizing -1 Corinthians 11:2–16).

• Love 6
(edited)

I was thinking the same about the wigs, that it seems like cheating, but I was afraid of sounding offensive. But yeah, I too was wondering why you'd even bother. And wig cost is no joke. My best friend had cancer, and her wig cost more than my car did (I'm totally not snarking, though I feel awful for those who can't afford it.)! 

It reminded me of a segment in Religulous a little bit, with an Orthodox Jew. He had all kinds of contraptions and cheats to get around the rules. But with him it was beyond absurd. 

Edited by Squirrely
  • Love 2

Exactly how are the southern couple arranged? Especially with his mom pretty much hating that girl.  

Oh, orthodox girl, just trying on a different shade of faith only to end up marrying in it? Can women wear a scarf rather than a wig? 

• Love 1
On 5/12/2016 at 10:25 PM, TwirlyGirly said:

To me, this is no different than Islam requiring women to cover their hair with a hijab. But, in some ways, I think wearing a wig is kind of "cheating."

A lot of people in the traditional Jewish community feel that way, too.  Many observant women, cover all of their hair with scarves, only cover part of their hair but do so all the time, or only cover part of their hair during religious functions.

• Love 3

The wig aspect was always a little confusing to me as well. I admit I'm coming from a place of ignorance. I think it also bothers me a little because a lot of the real hair wigs come from places like India (I'm Indian), so it almost seems like it looks down on other people. Kind of like "well, you can see this heathen hair, but my hair is sacred."

But I admit, I know very little about this. The most observant Jewish family I know wears scarves, and while she does have a wig, it is only for weddings and special occasions. But I don't know her well enough to inquire more, and I also don't want to offend her. 

• Love 2

Hi all.  I am an extraordinarily Reform Jew, but I know a lot about the Orthodox rules.  The wigs are basically to help the women fulfill the mitzvah of covering their hair without making them hate it.  Is it hypocritical?  Probably. I used to see an endocrinologist is a very Haredi neighborhood in Brooklyn.  The doctor told me that many of his female Haredi  patients were alcoholics because they felt so trapped in their lifestyles.  Sad.  

• Love 6

I finally got around to watching this. I agree about the whole arranged thing. None of them are. The one that is Jewish was pushing to be put with the guy. Which btw, that guy is VERY awkward like. When he talks its just like something is up. I can't put my finger on it. The whole thing about a light bulb coming on and not touching stuff. He almost comes off very kid like to me. I am not sure if she was laughing about them being virgins because she was embarrassed by that out there or because she really isn't.  SMH on this girl in tears on the wig and about people talking about her. It sounded like he was putting pressure on that with the being disappointed if she doesn't. Why can't she just use a scarf(s) instead of having to have tons of wigs over time that will cost a ton more? I am not understanding this here. I get she wants it for the wedding but she is acting like she has to own a bunch of them. 

The Indian couple...really you meet him through work. No one arranged you at all. I am a city over from where they are. So we have another rich Indian family (wasn't the one last season in Beverly Hills?) but this one in Newport Beach. She comes off naive and he comes off like he is a slick talker so far. Something about him is screaming to me slimeball. I am not sure if his family is wealthy like her's and/or he is compared to them but something is not right there. Especially the way he looked around when asked on his income. Plus she has claimed to be married for love before and how it didn't work. Then if she really wanted to be arranged she should have had her parents do it and find the man. I have to wonder if she mentioned something around him or someone else at work that he heard she wanted to be arranged and that is where the "he said he wants to marry me" comes into play. 

Then we have the Baptists, oh boy is that one something. She was fixed up by her brother. Not arranged. The MIL to be is something else and he doesn't come off to bright. Seems very much like a mama's boy. That dress is not flattering at all on the girl. If she didn't have the neck part maybe it wouldn't be so bad but that one piece around her neck does her no good. His mom is a not good person IMO. If she thinks she is classy she needs to think again. Who takes pictures and video like that and uses classy in a sentence? Who knows what her son was doing? How is a stripper at a bachelorette party meaning she isn't loyal to him? I am not one for strippers and all but give me a damn break. Plus what is up with the trailer for people that are suppose to be "classy" and well to do? Not keen on this girl herself but hell that MIL to be is something else with her behavior and how she talks to them. 

Do the people behind this show thing that we are stupid on what being arranged means? Could they really not find any couples that were truly arranged? If that is the case this show needs to be dumped or renamed to Fixed Up. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Evil Queen said:

The Indian couple...really you meet him through work. No one arranged you at all. I am a city over from where they are. So we have another rich Indian family (wasn't the one last season in Beverly Hills?) but this one in Newport Beach. She comes off naive and he comes off like he is a slick talker so far. Something about him is screaming to me slimeball. I am not sure if his family is wealthy like her's and/or he is compared to them but something is not right there. Especially the way he looked around when asked on his income. Plus she has claimed to be married for love before and how it didn't work. Then if she really wanted to be arranged she should have had her parents do it and find the man. I have to wonder if she mentioned something around him or someone else at work that he heard she wanted to be arranged and that is where the "he said he wants to marry me" comes into play. 

Yeah, no kidding. When he was at her family's table and said that it's advantageous for him to marry so he can file taxes jointly... Ooooh boy. I hope for her sake this is all fake and she just wanted on t.v. to boost her realtor profile.

Like most of you, I tuned in to see some arranged couples as indicated by the damn title of the damn show. Sheesh. The Texan gal belongs on Bridezillas.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, glowlights said:

Yeah, no kidding. When he was at her family's table and said that it's advantageous for him to marry so he can file taxes jointly... Ooooh boy. I hope for her sake this is all fake and she just wanted on t.v. to boost her realtor profile.

Like most of you, I tuned in to see some arranged couples as indicated by the damn title of the damn show. Sheesh. The Texan gal belongs on Bridezillas.

Yes, his comment on the taxes was another thing as well. The thing is she probably doesn't need to boost her realtor profile in this area....IF she is good at her job. I looked her up and she sells only in a handful of really expensive areas. As well as she obviously is living in one of those areas herself. I also see in her profile for the realty company that she has owned 4 boutiques over the years. Which explains her name on the one she went into and was complaining about her all her dresses not being here yet. Which why was she having them made in India (that is what she said right?)? Why didn't she have whoever do it here since she has all her Indian style boutiques that are supposedly so popular? Oh I also came across an article in the newspaper for the county about them. So this part of it stood out to me and speaks volumes on her. 

“I used to be an actress a long time ago, so I’m looking forward to being on TV,” Shewa says. “But at the same time it is a little nerve-wracking. But if I can help girls by sharing my story – for example, when I first got divorced it was a little taboo in our culture – that’s great.”

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/says-715342-maneka-mayur.html  

Sorry but what is she going to help girls with here? Considering where she lives and how they live I doubt anyone batted an eye when she got divorced. Hopefully I did the link right. LOL But he also mention about how the traditional sense of being arranged is outdated and they know they may not fit into what it is. So again, how the heck is this even on this show? Then there is this from it

“I wanted to share our culture and how we do things in the world,” Shewa says, describing how a friend on Facebook connected her with a casting director for “Arranged.” “Our culture is getting more popular, and having gone through some struggles myself, I wanted to say there’s another way.”

What struggles has this lady had? She is living in a rich area here, has had business left and right, sells high end homes to other rich people, and so on...If she thinks that divorce was her biggest struggle in life she is living a sheltered life for sure. I am sorry but that whole thing she said is such a load of crap. She wants to be an actress and thinks this will give her a shot at it. They knew it wasn't an arranged marriage and say so. Yet how many times will we hear them both say arranged during the show? 

I am not sure I will watch the rest of their junk. If I even watch this show at this point I will be fast forwarding their parts. I just wish this show would give us what it is suppose to be. Out of this seasons and last we have had 1 that would be truly arranged and the parents wanted more tv then the couple in the end from that couple. I don't know what is up with this channel but I saw one of the ads for a new show on teen newlyweds...what in the world??

• Love 2
(edited)
12 minutes ago, Evil Queen said:

Which explains her name on the one she went into and was complaining about her all her dresses not being here yet. Which why was she having them made in India (that is what she said right?)? Why didn't she have whoever do it here since she has all her Indian style boutiques that are supposedly so popular?

Because she can't have someone do intricate beadwork 24 hours a day for 20 cents an hour over here.

And I think the Jewish couple said they didn't have a matchmaker, but that their friends matched them.  More BS.

Edited by WhoAmIReally
  • Love 4
44 minutes ago, WhoAmIReally said:

Because she can't have someone do intricate beadwork 24 hours a day for 20 cents an hour over here.

And I think the Jewish couple said they didn't have a matchmaker, but that their friends matched them.  More BS.

Oh I know its why. Which disgusts me...even more so considering who its being done for. 

Yes and the Jewish couple, the girl said she say him and kept pushing for friends or whoever to match them up..aka fix them up. Such as the Texas Baptist couple, the brother fixed her up with his friend. There was no being arranged. It was all people being fixed up or meeting at work. Yet they will each say the word arranged over and over again. UGH

• Love 2

Wow, Evil Queen, thanks for the info on the non-arranged realtor/actress.

The young Jewish woman just makes me sad. IMO she should have given herself a few more years trying out the Orthodox lifestyle before committing to a marriange, because it comes across as more of a phase she's going through than something she is sure of.

I find it hard to believe there are no truly arranged couples who would be willing to share their experiences, but if it's important to their culture they probably wouldn't cooperate with stupid producer-driven drama, such as the Texan in-laws feud.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, glowlights said:

<snip>The young Jewish woman just makes me sad. IMO she should have given herself a few more years trying out the Orthodox lifestyle before committing to a marriange, because it comes across as more of a phase she's going through than something she is sure of.<snip>

Agreed. IIRC, in the first episode Vicki said she had decided to become Orthodox, and then gotten engaged (as opposed to becoming Orthodox because Ben was). Problem is, sometimes things look much better on paper than they are when put into practice. I appears Vicki didn't do enough research and just dove in, (covered) head first. If I was considering changing religions or version of a religion, I would get my hands on as many books as possible and read them, research reliable websites, and perhaps even schedule a meeting or two with the head of whatever congregation of that faith was near me. I'd go armed with a list of questions. I might also try to find another female member of that faith and have a long talk with them.

IOW, I would do whatever I could to make certain I knew what I was getting into before making any commitments to God, myself, or anyone else involved.

I don't have a problem with anyone following the precepts of whatever religion they prefer, as long as it's completely voluntary and they've made an educated decision. I did feel better about Vicki and Ben once Ben agreed to compromise on taking the apartment in Harlem, but I didn't like the way he seemed to be putting his own wants and desire to live in an Orthodox community ahead of Vicki's need not to have a long commute. I'm glad he changed his mind, for Vicki's sake. 

• Love 1

TwirlyGirly, I just wonder how long before he changes his mind back to being where he wants to live. I just get a bad feeling about him at this point. I hope I am wrong on it but with how he has come so far I just am not sure. I just feel sad for her at this point. I agree with you that she shouldn't have jumped from becoming Orthodox to going to being married to one so quickly. She should have done all you said. Asked those involved in that religion how they felt about it and why they liked it and so on. Find ones that maybe left it as well and ask why they were unhappy. This way she could have weighed her options on it all. It seems it was all to quick for her. 

glowlights, no problem. I don't usually look up stuff like that but since it was from the neighboring city I figured what the hey. I am surprised she would throw that tidbit out so easily too considering how it comes off when doing reality shows. So at this point I feel she is playing the part of good little Indian wife to be and not what she really is off the show. 

• Love 1
57 minutes ago, Evil Queen said:

TwirlyGirly, I just wonder how long before he changes his mind back to being where he wants to live. I just get a bad feeling about him at this point. I hope I am wrong on it but with how he has come so far I just am not sure. I just feel sad for her at this point. I agree with you that she shouldn't have jumped from becoming Orthodox to going to being married to one so quickly. She should have done all you said. Asked those involved in that religion how they felt about it and why they liked it and so on. Find ones that maybe left it as well and ask why they were unhappy. This way she could have weighed her options on it all. It seems it was all to quick for her. 

<snip>

I'm really hoping some of that controlling behavior we saw with Ben regarding the apartment location was partially due to his age (he's 22; Vicki is 21). Add a healthy dose of being raised in a (somewhat) patriarchal religion...but if he wants to be married to Vicki, and stay married to Vicki, he is going to HAVE to learn how to compromise. There's hope, I think. Vicki doesn't seems to me like the type who would allow that type of behavior in a relationship indefinitely. She's had a taste of what life is like outside of Orthodox beliefs, and I think she'll run if she doesn't see a willingness in Ben to take her needs and wants into account - especially given the fact there is so much faith-related stuff she has to accommodate.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, TwirlyGirly said:

Agreed. IIRC, in the first episode Vicki said she had decided to become Orthodox, and then gotten engaged (as opposed to becoming Orthodox because Ben was). Problem is, sometimes things look much better on paper than they are when put into practice. I appears Vicki didn't do enough research and just dove in, (covered) head first. If I was considering changing religions or version of a religion, I would get my hands on as many books as possible and read them, research reliable websites, and perhaps even schedule a meeting or two with the head of whatever congregation of that faith was near me. I'd go armed with a list of questions. I might also try to find another female member of that faith and have a long talk with them.

IOW, I would do whatever I could to make certain I knew what I was getting into before making any commitments to God, myself, or anyone else involved.

My friend converted to Reform Judaism (she'd been a secular WASP) during her engagement to her husband, who is Jewish. It's a huge commitment - takes at least a year of study, and it took them a bit to find a temple before she started her conversion. I am guessing (please correct me if I'm wrong) that becoming a more observant version of the religion you already practice doesn't require that level of study, but I think in Vicki's case it should have.

• Love 3
19 hours ago, TwirlyGirly said:

I'm really hoping some of that controlling behavior we saw with Ben regarding the apartment location was partially due to his age (he's 22; Vicki is 21). Add a healthy dose of being raised in a (somewhat) patriarchal religion...but if he wants to be married to Vicki, and stay married to Vicki, he is going to HAVE to learn how to compromise. There's hope, I think. Vicki doesn't seems to me like the type who would allow that type of behavior in a relationship indefinitely. She's had a taste of what life is like outside of Orthodox beliefs, and I think she'll run if she doesn't see a willingness in Ben to take her needs and wants into account - especially given the fact there is so much faith-related stuff she has to accommodate.

I hope so to and that maybe it is because he is young but then maybe its how his parents relationship is and others around him. Since we are only seeing his parents discuss things about how it is in their faith, it makes it hard to know if that is why he is so controlling or if its age or something else. I just hope she doesn't let it keep happening. I feel for her in not getting her dance as she wants too. So it comes down to another thing she has to give up unlike him. He just comes off as if once they are married and living in that apartment that he will make sure she knows he isn't happy there and wants to go back to his area. Maybe he won't, which would be good for her but I just don't see him giving that up so easily for very long. I just see sadness in her eyes more and more with each thing she has to give up on. 

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 6:53 AM, AussieBabe said:

They couldn't find one truly arranged pair? Same formula as the first season. A southern couple, Indian couple from Cali, and a young couple where the woman is giving up everything. I think she's going to regret it down the line. She already seems stifled and not exactly over the moon to be getting married. 

I have four episodes of Season Two stacked up on my DVR because I ended the first season feeling sour about the show's representation of "arranged" and depressed about Maria's plight from the one marriage that was genuinely out of the hands of the participants.

This sounds exactly the same!

I appreciate you calling it.  I'm going to pass.

(edited)

I really felt for Vicki.  It sounded like the Rabbi was saying no slow dancing that could cause others to engage in inappropriate touching before marriage, so couldn't it be an upbeat love song? And why can't they do the first dance alone.  We did a samba and it was just us for the first dance, about 1.5 min through, we transitioned to a really upbeat house song

It seemed like there was some wonky editing there, so maybe the Rabbi suggested something like that? It seemed like there was a cut right away after what the Rabbi said. 

Edited by hatchetgirl
Additional content
  • Love 1

Yeah, I mean, why couldn't they make a little announcement that the bride and groom wished to dance the first dance alone? It seems crazy that they can't have a first dance (in one of their first opportunities to even TOUCH each other) just because everyone else will be overcome with such passion as to dance/touch inappropriately. Man.

• Love 1

I am late to the party on this one.   Watched 3 episodes in a row yesterday, but didn't get in on the first three.   As for the wigs -- when I visited New York, there was a very Orthodox community nearby.  The women wore wigs, but they were very obvious wigs, not the high-dollar kind meant to look like real hair.   About the 10th time I watched "Fiddler on the Roof", I realized that the married women were all wearing obvious wigs.  I don't know why I didn't catch it before. 

• Love 2