Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E23: The Invisible Hand

Interesting that Morland did not know about Moriarty, or realize Sherlock’s involvement with her.  Now that he knows about the organization I wonder if he will work with it.  He was vicious in this episode, starting with the threatening ‘good day’ to his assistant.  The less in control he is the nastier he gets.

I’m disappointed that it was not Moriarty pulling the strings on this one, but they had a passable surrogate.  I knew Tony Curran would be a villain, so it was a good move having him own up to it at once. 

I snickered when Joan said half of Morland’s clients probably don’t show up on film.

• Love 2

The writing in the back half of this season, at least for the Morland subplot, has felt tight and twisty.  I'm enjoying the hell out of it.

An episode spotlighting two consummate H!ITGs and a horrible cliffhanger? Thank you, and yet? I am not ready for next week to end the season!

Maybe Sherlock's Invisible Army, plus Mycroft, maybe coming to its leader's aid?

My mind is trying to figure out how many dogs are in this fight and if there are any I may be overlooking. (We have met a manageable number of business associates of Morland's who may not be thrilled with the man.) Maybe Sabine or any of Sabine's relatives have a bone to pick with Morland. (If she didn't love/ hang out with Morland, she wouldn't have been around folks with access to international hit people.)

Shallowly, I loved the blue top/black pant/black tie outfit. It was Joan and also very detective-y. 

Unless the team is getting a new residence, I hope the brownstone is saved. Clyde and the bees should not be screwed around with, bomber(s)!

• Love 2

Not the brownstone! Anything but that! Get the bombsquad in here, stat! 

Disappointed that Jaimie Moriarty is not the one pulling the strings, but her presence is still felt. Guess she is still stuck in Kings Landing for now. Maybe a trip back to NYC for the finale? 

The new criminal empire is clearly looking for a higher class of criminal. Even their low level thugs can quote the classics. 

Really enjoying all of this 

• Love 5
18 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

Not the brownstone! Anything but that! Get the bombsquad in here, stat! 

This! Do not lose this set, Show! I'll be...most displeased.

• Love 5

Drat, I guess that I should have expected that Jaime Moriarty herself would have been too much to ask; both because of Natalie Dormer's availability and the ability for her to do so much from a prison cell.  But if there had to be someone to "assume the throne", you could do much worse then Tony Curran.  Although, I kind of wish it was both him and his Defiance parter, Jaime Murrary, and they basically just played Datak and Stahma again. also, I got a kick over them figuring out he was part of it due to a painting, since he famously played Vincent van Gough on Doctor Who.

Morland is really starting to scare me now.  Part of me wants to really believe that he wouldn't do anything to hurt his flesh and blood, but I just can't. I think anyone is expendable when it comes to him getting what he wants.

Have a bad feeling that Sherlock and Joan keeping this various info from Bell and Gregson is going to end up backfiring on them.

Shit, The Brownstone!  Not The Brownstone!  And whoever did this, better have not laid a finger on Clyde!

• Love 8

I quite liked Vikner as the new head of the snake.  He's articulate, polished, educated and comes across as reasonable - despite being in charge of such a criminal and vicious enterprise. 

John Noble is awesome as Morland and I love seeing Sherlock deal with him.  Such subtle shifts in JLM's posture and demeanor during the course of their scenes together.  And Morland is truly scary in some of his scenes.

I need a rewatch of this.

• Love 6
17 minutes ago, DeLurker said:

I quite liked Vikner as the new head of the snake.  He's articulate, polished, educated and comes across as reasonable - despite being in charge of such a criminal and vicious enterprise. 

It took a couple of scenes, but he works for me too. He is basically what most people see as the traditional Moriarty: an educated Professor who heads a criminal organisation on the side. I do like that everyone associated with Morarity accepts that Jamie is still Queen and HBIC. Joan complimented her and Vikner basically confirmed our duo was untouchable from harm. He would only do that if he had some fear that Jamie would make him pay dearly if he touched either Sherlock or Joan.  

I will admit to feeling teased and let down that Sherlock ruled her out since she is still in custody in King's Landing.

In the past, they have been able to introduce her back in with a voice over letter. I wouldn't mind that. I do like how TPTB have judiciously and carefully used her presence in this series.

Morland was scary this episode. In the fight he had with Sherlock, that was a very deep cut telling your own son that by not taking the organisation down, he had let others suffer. Wow. I do believe that Morland would get others to hurt and take down Vikner. It was interesting that Vikner offered a truce deal, but neither Holmes men would want that. Sherlock still wants Vikner to pay for his crimes and Morland has taken all this stuff personally. 

As always, I wish they had more episodes for this arc. 

• Love 4
(edited)

Man.  I hate to be contrary, and I am not doing it just to be contrary.   I love this show, but I just can't follow what is going on.   The whole super secret  evil SPECTRE like organization is too much for me.   I guess I would just like to go back to the criminal of the week. but I suppose this is the evolution of the show.

The one funny scene (one that I could understand) is when Sherlock/Watson walked away from the meeting in the park or under bridge or whatever with evil new bearded guy and Watson found out that bearded dude also slept with Moriarity and even had his baby and Watson made mention and Sherlock said.., "are you 12?"

Edited by tiredofwork
  • Love 4
(edited)

The whole super secret  evil SPECTRE like organization is too much for me.   I guess I would just like to go back to the criminal of the week. but I suppose this is the evolution of the show.

I will preface my comments with: I am not criticizing your dislike of the storyline; you are free to dislike what you will.

I am responding to the last part of the second sentence. The show over the previous seasons has had story arcs, but mostly kept to individual cases of the week. I think that with the wish to explore Sherlock through his father and the casting of John Noble, the writers and PTB figured that in order to do the story and characters right, it needed a bigger canvas than New York state.  Moriarity and Morland are international movers and shakers. They are heads of corporations, if you will, and have divisions and managers and such. Vikner stepped in when Moriarity was taken out of play.  I don't think that the show is going to abandon cases of the week. The advent of Morland just called for a twister story told on a larger-than-normal canvas.

I disliked Joan saying stuff about Moriarity not needing someone to step into her shoes. Moriarity probably didn't intend for anyone to have to step in. Vikner saw a power vacuum and was given the okay (probably) by Moriarity. It was less dumb than Morland going not-dismantling-Moriarity's-organization = you [Sherlock] killed Sabine and anyone else they did. Sherlock's job is consultant to the NYPD and, primarily, a deductionist, iirc. The NYPD did in fact know about the organization, as Interpol more than likely did. It's not like after Jaime went away law enforcement sat on their hands, in all likelihood. It was a rare emotional outburst from Morland, so it was effective.

With all the talk of Poor Dead Sabine, I sort of want her to somehow be alive. And/or in cahoots with NotDead!Mrs. Holmes.  Then again, I'm okay if they both stay dead. It's just the on and on about Sabine makes me wonder things in the current landscape of TV writing. *sigh* I hope Kitty is safe too.

Edited by Actionmage
Trying to clean up a sentence.
  • Love 1

Ah, Datak Tarr is now Sherlock's arch-nemesis in lieu of Margaery Barratheon (née Tyrell).

I agree with the sentiment about super-secret evil organization and conspiracy. Plenty of good procedural shows are ruined by changing direction that way.

• Love 1

Maybe it's just me, but I wonder if Moriarty's daughter is going to come on the scene soon? They mentioned her several times last night and I honestly didn't even remember she existed until they did.

• Love 2
(edited)

Dear Lord, the wardrobe department must be trolling us... Those black slacks with the red pattern were horrible and not even the awesomeness that is Lucy Liu managed to pull off this sartorial atrocity. They were mercifully covered by the coat and some clever blocking in most scenes.

I do hope Vikner stays around for a while (not just the finale) because I missed a great villain (though I do wish he had a different name - I kept getting most unwelcome reminders of Castle's insufferable Vickram plot). And that scene between Sherlock and Papa Holmes made me check if John Noble has any kids in real life (yes, two sons and a daughter). I guess they were adults before he specialized in playing disappointed father figures with a mastery of tongue-lashing. That was scary and chilling.

Edited by MissLucas
  • Love 5

I usually hate Watson's wardrobe, but I loved the red splotched pants! I find this hilarious. I comfort myself that at least someone must have liked them or they wouldn't have gotten made and then been on the show.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, tiredofwork said:

Man.  I hate to be contrary, and I am not doing it just to be contrary.   I love this show, but I just can't follow what is going on.   The whole super secret  evil SPECTRE like organization is too much for me.   I guess I would just like to go back to the criminal of the week. but I suppose this is the evolution of the show.

I don't mind a serialized approach, but I agree, this particular story isn't doing it for me. Maybe it'll come together in the finale, but I kind of think not. Oh well, if Elementary follows it's odd-number-seasons-are-awesome pattern, I have next season to look forward to.

As for Moriarty/ Natalie Dormer, Game of Thrones films waaay in advance. So that wouldn't have kept her from doing the finale (though of course other commitments and/ or the Elementary writers' own choice may have).

I didn't think of the possibility of Clyde being harmed!!  No, no, no.  Sherlock and Joan will save him. 

Morland is really starting to scare me now.  Part of me wants to really believe that he wouldn't do anything to hurt his flesh and blood, but I just can't. I think anyone is expendable when it comes to him getting what he wants.

I know, John Noble keeps getting more intense.  I keep thinking about his role as Denethor, and we know how well that father/son relationship went.  I think Morland tried with Sherlock at the beginning of the season, but doesn't feel like the effort to get to know his son was worthwhile.  Sherlock and Joan aren't controllable, and they won't refrain from acting against him.  Mycroft is loyal, and Sherlock is a risk.  Or may be a 'spare,' in crueler terms.

From the recap:

Good god, does he do his own grading, too? Does he teach undergraduates? "Ummmm, Dr. Vikner? Liiiiike, I know you said this was due Thursday? But my grandmother's roommate died of the flu so can I have an extension? And can I get some extra credit? And do you have a copy of the class notes? Is the exam going to be multiple choice?" Does the leader of a murderous gang have office hours?! I would sincerely hate to be this man's TA.

I bet he loves wielding power over students and grad students.  I bet he takes of points for having the wrong margins.

• Love 2

It took a couple of scenes, but he works for me too. He is basically what most people see as the traditional Moriarty: an educated Professor who heads a criminal organisation on the side.

I think my one of my favorite moments was when he addressed them as "Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson." I just felt a little shiver like, heeeee, it's coming together. They really are Holmes & Watson. Love that bit of formality, winking at the original stories.

• Love 7

From the recap:

I assume it's going to come down to this. I know I already imagined the worst -- that the jerk would make a move on Gregson or Bell -- but something about the preview for next week made me think differently. I know that, in his way, Sherlock loves his police colleagues, but I fear a threat will be made on a more personal level even than that, and if Joan is off the table, could it not only be Kitty Winters? Am I just that desperate to have her come back? I'd like to see her throw a few punches on this (hot) goon, honestly.

Or: what if Vikner threatens to kill Moriarty?! The guy is tough, but he isn't that tough. Sorry, bro: even at your strongest, you still have like, 130 essays on the rise and fall of the Euro to read before tomorrow. Moriarty may be imprisoned, but you simply don't have the bandwidth to take her on. And, honestly, I question that you have the balls for Morland.

The (excellent) recapper is referring to the previews in which Sherlock is asked "who do you love the most?"

Shouldn't Sherlock be loving Fiona a little bit "the most" now? Could she be in jeopardy?

Also, isn't Moriarty the mother of Vikner's child?  Don't even evil people try to refrain from killing their baby mama?

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, MaryHedwig said:

Also, isn't Moriarty the mother of Vikner's child?  Don't even evil people try to refrain from killing their baby mama?

I think Vikner is more at risk from being killed from Moriarty. Hehe. He may even be alive because he's the baby daddy. I had to check, but Jamie suspects Vikner is the reason Kayden (their daughter) was kidnapped back in S2. He was probably the one who revealed that they had a child out there which caused the events of that last episode to unfold.

While Dormer is not filming GoT now, she does still do publicity for the show and is in higher demand for TV, theatre, and movie roles. Which good for her but I hope she does grace this show again.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, possibilities said:

I usually hate Watson's wardrobe, but I loved the red splotched pants! I find this hilarious. I comfort myself that at least someone must have liked them or they wouldn't have gotten made and then been on the show.

I liked them and would gladly wear them. </small voice>

• Love 1

Well tastes differ and all that - so, for those who liked those trousers here you go. To be fair I had thought they were flares and they're not (they're just overlong creating elephant stumps even on runway models - damn, even when I want to be nice about them it's not working).

• Love 2
(edited)

I do wish JLM would pull a little less of the squint-stinkface.

And while I don't love the pants, I'll take 100 of those over another bow blouse!

Edited by snarktini
hit submit too soon
  • Love 1
On 5/2/2016 at 11:42 AM, DeLurker said:

And Morland is truly scary in some of his scenes.

Any second now, I expect his lips to curl back to reveal a mouthful of razors.  He is truly terrifying!

• Love 6
(edited)

I like the Criminal Enterprises, Inc story-line.  It feels very true to the original versions, not just of Moriarty, but his counter-parts like Moran.

On 5/2/2016 at 11:10 AM, Actionmage said:

It was less dumb than Morland going not-dismantling-Moriarity's-organization = you [Sherlock] killed Sabine and anyone else they did. Sherlock's job is consultant to the NYPD and, primarily, a deductionist, iirc. The NYPD did in fact know about the organization, as Interpol more than likely did

Yes, I think the fact that it was an emotional out-burst that caused Sherlock not to bite back.  The NYPD, FBI and Interpol should have been after Jamie's client list (perhaps asking Sherlock to help) -- it's not his job to be rounding up underlings.

I have to wonder if Sabine's "death" -- Morland saw her riddled with bullets, so I doubt she's alive -- would have happened if Moriarty wasn't in prison.  So I think that Morland blaming Sherlock for her death (when her death was caused by being next to him) was totally wrong.

Edited by jhlipton
  • Love 1

I agree with other posters, Clyde and the bees need to be safe!

I did love Sherlock's line about why he took the Russian's shoelaces, can't remember it exactly but something like "It makes it uncomfortable to walk, because why not?"

• Love 2

There's also, it seems to me, Sherlock's resentment of his father's affection towards Sabine. He's going to the ends of the Earth to avenge her, while Sherlock's mother was essentially locked up and then Morland threw away the key. And then to make it all Sherlock's fault when he's been responsible for who knows how much death and destruction? His own actions would have attracted that kind of attention no matter Sherlock's involvement.

• Love 2