Type keyword(s) to search

Season Two Talk: Brand New Contestants, Same Old Bears

Quilt Fairy
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Poor Tracy needs therapy for her PTSD. It's sad how she has convinced herself that she was responsible for that woman's death.

Yeah, the only person responsible for that girl's death is the asshole who shot her.

• Love 7

Well, not surprised that MK is gone. I'm not really bummed either. Maybe if she was paying more attention to what she was doing instead of going on and on about how she has to set a good example for her daughters. How about setting a good example around sharp objects?! That wasn't the first time I noticed her using her axe and not really paying attention. My husband kept insisting it wasn't bleeding that badly (from last week and the preview) and that she'd be fine. But when she kept saying she couldn't move her thumb, I worried she'd damaged the tendon. Either way, she didn't seem to be handling it very well. She seemed reluctant to treat her own wound, and only started to do so after she realized that magic button didn't make her rescuers appear instantly. Once they arrived and we got a good close up of that wound, though, I knew she needed immediate medical attention. Oh well, not sad to see her go, but I do hope she is okay. 

SO glad we finally got to meet Jose and Nicole. But I'm pretty bummed we didn't get to see their arrivals and initial set up. 

Jose....I could watch him for hours. He is very clever and has so many unique things going on out there. I absolutely loved his fire blowing thing (despite the 4th grade jokes it brought out of my husband). I liked his talk about humility as well - humanity is sorely lacking in humility, in general. I look forward to seeing him as we go forward, I wouldn't be surprised if he was one of the last men standing. 

Nicole was great as well. I loved her spirit out there - she was happy, having fun. She was a goofy side and talks to everything, I can really relate to her. She seems pretty competent as well. 

Nice seeing Tracy again. I thought she was smart to roll her gill net and unroll it, glad she got some dinner out of it. I'm worried about the bears, though! Damn, those things are getting close. Also hope she can handle her demons out there. Tracy is tough and burly, but she has a sad little girl inside of her. I'm almost dreading the other stories she has to share. I wish she didn't feel so guilty about that shooter situation. Even if she HAD arrived on time, what are the chances that SHE could de-esculate the shooter and save that woman? Her life has definitely been hard on her. 

Larry, mother fucking, Larry. Cursing and stomping his way through the woods. It does seem like he got the short end of the stick with location - although, I'm sure there are goods and bads to every one of them. Sleeping so close to that creek was not going to be sustainable once the rains really kick in, so he was smart to move. I really liked seeing him make shelter out of those fallen trees. Good idea. 

I'm kind of shocked that Randy is still there. Good on him for getting fire with a bow drill, but I'm just not sure how long he'll be able to keep that up. He'll have to keep the fire going non-stop (a lot of work, keeping him fairly close to home at all times) or go through that procedure every time he needs fire (a lot of work). I appreciate him not giving up yet, but he won't make it until the end, I'm afraid. 

• Love 6
On 5/6/2016 at 8:42 PM, cooksdelight said:

Jose is this season's troubadour. But he sounds like a dying calf in a hailstorm

Am I the only one who wants him and Lucas to form an Alone band? Maybe Nicole can sing for them. 

• Love 6

I think I'd rather hear Larry curse all day than much more of MK's girl power pep talks.  She's currently a personal trainer-- I don't know what it is with them but Jillian Michaels never shut up either.  

Looks like MK had heavy leather boots.  When she was going on about her wet boots I assumed they were rubber but that the inside lining got wet.   Mk were you paying attention? .. coastal--rainforest ?..not her strong suit obviously.  

So cursing Larry is building a new camp..in a place that is horribly inaccessible  and worth his life (and any hopes of going to heaven) to get to so expect more cursing from Larry.  I guess we'll see another confession moment in front of his tarp up there   "uh..okay..another bonehead mistake here "     

I'm curious about the creek that Larry has concerns about. I know in the desert areas a dry creek bed can turn into a rushing death trap in a second.  But I truly wonder if that would happen in a place where it rains all the time.  I would think that creek is constantly accommodating heavy rains so likely no surprise overflow.  Maybe someone from the rainforest can clue me in on that. 

I notice that most are wearing shorts at this point so at the moment it's pretty warm there.  I think this is how they are getting lulled into making shelters that feel cozy on a 50 degree night, but may get very old when the temps are 39 and raining for days.  I like Nicole's shelter but long term I think it's just another place to hide and suffer.  Still hoping Jose or someone builds something more substantial that will make those months more tolerable--even enjoyable. For my taste I would want something I could stand in and move around.  

• Love 3
14 hours ago, SRTouch said:

What did you guys call it when you got in trouble on that other forum for talking about another shoe in a forum - "board on board" or something? Here's my second offense today. On Life Below Zero last night Sue Aiken was out hunting birds and one of the foxes that hang around her camp was out with her. She said the fox was like a hunting dog, pointing out the birds for her.

I love Sue's relationship with Foxy!

14 hours ago, SRTouch said:

OT: something I wonder about every time they show it is the bald eagle with the deformed or broken beak. I swear they've shown several times, and again last night while Nicole was discussing birds alerting her to dangers. I wonder if that is stock footage, or if the bird just hangs around the vicinity and gets it's picture taken a lot. I suspect it is stock footage, as my understanding is an eagle like this would have trouble fishing/feeding itself. Anybody remember Beauty, a bald eagle who was shot by a poacher, rescued back around 2005, and has received a prosthetic beak. https://www.singularityweblog.com/bald-eagle-gets-3d-printed-beak-prosthesis/

They just featured this bird on an episode of Unlikely Animal Friends.

Jose certainly seems like the one to watch this season; he's just so competent and quietly self assured.

• Love 2
(edited)

The cool thing about this show is I learn things. What I have learned from this season of Alone:

Larry: Awesome and shiny new swear words and that Nature is an evil place out to get me

MK: How NOT to cut kindling (although-we have a fire place and I have cut this stuff myself). I think the problem was her crouching. If she had stood up, this might not have happened. 

Randy: Be super careful with a ferro rod, or one will end up taping out from exhaustion trying to make fire

?Other guy?: Alone is a long form dating video

Nicole: There are grasses that are edible and positive personality will likely get you farther

Tracy: What point is there in being afraid, just act when appropriate (I wonder if her story illustrates why she is the way she is now? She does not seem to hesitate in situations now) I also wonder if her other story will be that she has more masculine appearance and voice (maybe a genetic anomaly) and she was made fun and bullied because of it, as opposed to being transgender as some have postulated?

Mike: A fish can be buried and eaten after several days

Jose: Roots can be made into strong ropes, I can make a blower to regenerate a fire, that nature likes calm and working with it (do ya hear that Larry?)

Edited by riverheightsnancy
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, riverheightsnancy said:

Nicole: What point is there in being afraid, just act when appropriate (I wonder if her story illustrates why she is the way she is now? She does not seem to hesitate in situations now) I also wonder if her other story will be that she has more masculine appearance and voice (maybe a genetic anomaly) and she was made fun and bullied because of it, as opposed to being transgender as some have postulated?

I think you mean Tracy for this one.

Also, there were some good quotes last episode so I added them to the quotes thread. Feel free to add your favorites, I'm sure I didn't catch them all.

• Love 2
37 minutes ago, Quilt Fairy said:

I think you mean Tracy for this one.

Also, there were some good quotes last episode so I added them to the quotes thread. Feel free to add your favorites, I'm sure I didn't catch them all.

Yup: fixed! :)

• Love 2

If they are closer to the Pacific, around Winter Harbour, I feel for them.  At least further down the sound there is some protection from the storms, but out there, nada.  Not my choice for a camping spot.  The worst wind I've ever felt was on Long Beach in July.  Same side of the Island as Winter Harbour, just closer to the middle of it.  Super hard and icy cold IN JULY!

• Love 3
5 hours ago, ghoulina said:

Nice seeing Tracy again. I thought she was smart to roll her gill net and unroll it, glad she got some dinner out of it. I'm worried about the bears, though! Damn, those things are getting close. Also hope she can handle her demons out there. Tracy is tough and burly, but she has a sad little girl inside of her. I'm almost dreading the other stories she has to share. I wish she didn't feel so guilty about that shooter situation. Even if she HAD arrived on time, what are the chances that SHE could de-esculate the shooter and save that woman? Her life has definitely been hard on her. 

I...just..am not too thrilled with the 'demon' sharing.   It seems like Mike and Tracy set up camp and then began the Real unpacking  and set up of all their "Stuff".   i guess Tracy did warn us that she was out here to find peace and hope but  I don't want to be a captive audience to unresolved guilt, shame and self-pity.   Granted we all have our pain, regrets, heartbreaks etc.and it makes us a part of who we are.  I don't mind hearing about their lives in that way but I don't want to do therapy with them.

I was taught through my own journey that hanging on to these things leads to self-destructive behavior or leads back to former self-destructive behavior.  If I don't forgive myself and others it can become a self-serving excuse.  Part of humility that I learned is accepting I am human and I have my failings.  Hopefully I grow from my mistakes.  I  dishonor and diminish the life I have today by refusing to let go of my mistakes and the mistakes of others. 

I don't want to sound preachy..but I want to explain so that I don't sound like a cold sociopath.  Maybe by being alone the pain will get so bad that they will find their way to forgiveness, gratitude and joy.   I needed to be taught by others that it was not only possible, but absolutely essential to my health in all aspects.  

• Love 3
5 hours ago, ghoulina said:

Jose....I could watch him for hours. He is very clever and has so many unique things going on out there. I absolutely loved his fire blowing thing (despite the 4th grade jokes it brought out of my husband). I liked his talk about humility as well - humanity is sorely lacking in humility, in general. I look forward to seeing him as we go forward, I wouldn't be surprised if he was one of the last men standing. 

Nicole was great as well. I loved her spirit out there - she was happy, having fun. She was a goofy side and talks to everything, I can really relate to her. She seems pretty competent as well. 

The three above are, at least in my mind, a stark contrast to the rest in their attitude towards being in the woods. Simply put, they're competent and appear comfortable around camp. Another departure from some of the others, especially those who made early depastures last year and Desmond this year, these three are not shy about letting the local predators know someone new is in the woods. Desmond was whispering to the camera and kept glancing around to catch sasquatch sneaking up on him, then running off through the "eerie" woods when he hears something. Contrast that to Nicole, singing while she works, and when she hears something she goes towards the noise, joking she thinks it might be two sasquatch having sex. She doesn't come out and say it, but both Tracy and Jose say they make noise to let the local bears know where they are. I wonder how far away Jose's fireblower horn can be heard by the cougar, wolf, and bear population. (No, I don't think Larry's cursing is his version of "Hey Bear". Lol)

• Love 4
7 hours ago, seasick said:

I'm curious about the creek that Larry has concerns about. I know in the desert areas a dry creek bed can turn into a rushing death trap in a second.  But I truly wonder if that would happen in a place where it rains all the time.  I would think that creek is constantly accommodating heavy rains so likely no surprise overflow.  Maybe someone from the rainforest can clue me in on that. 

I've wondered the same thing. I grew up in southern California, and spent time in the Mojave for fun as well as time at 29 Palms and Ft Irwin for Army training, so know something about flood worries in the desert, but know nothing about flash flood worry on VI. A worry that I would have, though, is the noise of that babbling brook. Sure, some people pay money for that as white noise to sleep by, but it would also keep you from hearing what's happening around you. It's amazing what you can hear after a couple days camping, but not with that brook a few feet away day in and day out.

7 hours ago, seasick said:

I notice that most are wearing shorts at this point so at the moment it's pretty warm there.  I think this is how they are getting lulled into making shelters that feel cozy on a 50 degree night, but may get very old when the temps are 39 and raining for days.

And that brings up folks running around in sandals, again. Someone questioned Justin doing his scouting in sandals last week. I'd say around camp while your boots dry out - fine. Not so much on the beach where you might cut your toe open on those razor sharp rocks/shells Tracy talked about, or in the woods where a stick could stab you. This isn't a day trip to the woods, but what you hope is a couple months alone in the woods, and let's face it - modern man (or woman) have tender feet. 

• Love 2

Think it would be hilarious if the producers gave us a drone shot that showed just around the next cove is a flat place Larry needs to pitch his tent.

Larry is so preoccupied at being furiously mad at the forest, muttering and sputtering that he may have not done sufficient scouting of his slice of VI. 

Larry is the anti-Jose.

Producers should show them on split screen doing similar tasks.

Jose calm and efficient, Larry bleeping up a storm, fighting Mother Nature.

I'd watch that.

• Love 6

In MK's defense, I watched a show the other night called Trailblazers on Animal Planet and one of the expedition guides (a former SEAL or Special Forces, was a guide for many years, incredibly competent with tons of experience) cut that same thumb tendon and had to be removed from the expedition for medical reasons.  He had never, ever had an accident before.  The "junior" guide was left to lead the rest of the group (2 or 3 people, I can't remember) through the jungle so they (the academics who paid for it all) could get whatever samples they were after.  

Just a long way to say it can happen to the best of them.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

In MK's defense, I watched a show the other night called Trailblazers on Animal Planet and one of the expedition guides (a former SEAL or Special Forces, was a guide for many years, incredibly competent with tons of experience) cut that same thumb tendon and had to be removed from the expedition for medical reasons.  He had never, ever had an accident before.  The "junior" guide was left to lead the rest of the group (2 or 3 people, I can't remember) through the jungle so they (the academics who paid for it all) could get whatever samples they were after.  

Just a long way to say it can happen to the best of them.

Yes, accidents can happen to the best of us. My complaint about MK isn't that she had an accident, but that she was improperly using her tools. While sitting on her bed at the beginning of the episode we watched as she used her knife in an unsafe manner. Basic knife safety 101 - cut away from yourself. This isn't a rule for outside while camping, but anytime you use a knife, peeling an apple, slicing tomatoes, etc. Yet we watched her cutting a stick towards her hand, arm and body. Same deal with her use of the ax while splitting firewood. With all her talk of wanting to be an example for her daughters, watching her use tools was like a video of how NOT to be handle sharp tools.

• Love 6

While sitting on her bed at the beginning of the episode we watched as she used her knife in an unsafe manner.

Now that you mention it, I do remember cringing every time she used her knife to whittle that stick at the start of the episode.  It was an accident waiting to happen.  I just thought it was curious that within a night of each other, I saw two people cut the same tendon in the exact same way, something I hadn't seen in all my years of being a lounge chair survivalist.

• Love 3
(edited)

Larry's stream is at least assurance that he has access to fresh water, although I believe in the first "Deeper Cut" episode Alan also brought up that the sound of the water might mask more important sounds that you need to hear.

Since each of the campsites is supposed to have pros and cons, I would love it if History would describe each of the 10 sites listing what those pros and cons are.  

I have a confession to make: When I'm peeling something in my hand, I always use the knife slicing towards myself. I know it's supposed to be unsafe, but it feels natural to me do to it that way (it feels as if I have more control over the knife) and when I try to do it "correctly" it feels so odd that I'm afraid I might cut myself using the "safer" method.

ETA: AuntieA, do you have the episode name or number of that Trailblazers show with the injury? I started to watch an episode and it was kind of interesting but I'm not sure if it was just another survival show or if the producer are aiming for a different slant. Anyway, I needed room on my DVR and I deleted it before I finished that one episode.

Edited by Quilt Fairy
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

I have a confession to make: When I'm peeling something in my hand, I always use the knife slicing towards myself. I know it's supposed to be unsafe, but it feels natural to me do to it that way (it feels as if I have more control over the knife) and when I try to do it "correctly" it feels so odd that I'm afraid I might cut myself using the "safer" method.

Count me in with that confession Quilt Fairy.  I always cut towards myself or into my hand in the kitchen.  For the exact reasons you mention.  Always made my husband insane to see me slicing in the kitchen!

• Love 3
3 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

Does anyone know if any of this season's campers are at sites used in season 1? Or all totally new?

i'm pretty sure they said that although they are back on VI, they are all new/different sites from last season.

The Trailblazers Ep was episode one.  The guy who chopped his hand was chopping wood in the dark. His injury was almost identical to MK's.  (I thought he was an obnoxious ass!  "I take comfort in others' misery".  Well, now perhaps the others will find comfort in yours!  Bye!!)     

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

Larry's stream is at least assurance that he has access to fresh water, although I believe in the first "Deeper Cut" episode Alan also brought up that the sound of the water might mask more important sounds that you need to hear.

This would be my biggest issue. I need to be able to hear. Also, I know yelling at the bears is what you're supposed to do, but it would go against every instinct I have. I'd want to curl myself into a little ball and be absolutely quiet, hoping they'd go away.

• Love 5
16 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

It's a good point that being that close to the stream will mask sounds of animals etc.  But Larry can barely get himself up to his new camp much less water, gear etc.  Going up and down in rainy muddy conditions--  I really wonder how that's going to work out. 

• Love 3

Something I'm noticing about Mary Kate and Nicole is how NOISY they are.  Maybe they feel they have to perform for the cameras, but both of them seem uncomfortable with silence.  There was no quietness about Mary Kate in particular, and I'm kinda not surprised she nearly chopped her thumb off, as she seemed continually distracted by her own monologue.  (And hey, Nicole, maybe the bears were trying to sing back to you or something... just a thought.)

I hope Nicole is not planning to get through the entire fall/winter on sea grass, because she's going to have nutritional issues.

As for Larry and his slope woes... how come nobody on this island ever tries to build a platform for their shelter?  Cut down some saplings and lash them together, and you've solved your wet-bottom problems right there.   (I mean, even just a platform raised slightly off the ground) Maybe not next to a stream, but surely something could eventually be built to create a flat surface for a shelter built into the side of the slope?

• Love 7

I loved when Nicole thought that was noise was Sasquatch sex. She cracked me up quite a few times. I'd probably be loud too. I'm a talker. I talk to myself, to animals, to appliances, etc. I'd be making up songs and there'd be an entire running dialogue going on. I'd feel very bad for the editors. 

• Love 7

Nicole is the anti-Tracy.

Nicole yammers on and on and on ....

Tracy is word sparse.

Nicole is happy to see the bears.

Tracy wants them to go away.

Nicole's face is going to split into two from smiling so much.

Tracy's heart is broken with self blame.

Put them up in split screen.

I'd watch that.

• Love 4
(edited)

In MK's defense, I watched a show the other night called Trailblazers on Animal Planet and one of the expedition guides (a former SEAL or Special Forces, was a guide for many years....

I started to look for this show thinking, Animal Planet is branching out, sounds interesting! :) Of course I couldn't find it on Animal Planets website. I'll check out the first ep.

As for Larry and his slope woes... how come nobody on this island ever tries to build a platform for their shelter?  Cut down some saplings and lash them together, and you've solved your wet-bottom problems right there.   (I mean, even just a platform raised slightly off the ground) Maybe not next to a stream, but surely something could eventually be built to create a flat surface for a shelter built into the side of the slope?

Sam last season had a platform for his shelter as far as I can recall, it was pretty high off the ground looking. The only complaint/concern around here was its location, it seemed exposed. But it worked for him it seems and someone posted an article or something a little bit ago with him explaining why he built it.

Like others have noted, being noisy is a good thing. You want everything around you knowing you are there. Most animals are not looking for a confrontation unless they are starving. Plus, I don't want to be watching silent people. Keep up the stream of thought, I want to know exactly what you are thinking and going through. I want to know your thought process for why you are doing what you are doing and when and why.

Edited by jvr
  • Love 6
On 5/9/2016 at 10:28 PM, Jipijapa said:

I am pretty sure I read something about only being allowed to cut dead trees for this show..Maybe it was in the david posts at bladeforums.  

5 hours ago, holly4755 said:

I am pretty sure I read something about only being allowed to cut dead trees for this show..Maybe it was in the david posts at bladeforums.  

I know they cut down trees last season.  The ones Lucas cut did not appear to be dead, although the rules might have changed for this season.  I did see something in the park rules about using only dead wood for firewood.  It is possible they are given some leeway to things because they aren't just regular vacation campers. (e..g. many parks require permits and are often limited to 2 weeks)   If I planned to be there for months, I'd cut down trees for shelter--just not film it if it were verboten.

I've thought about the platform idea myself, esp. for Larry in order to create an even base for a camp.  I've seen areas that may not be level, but was clear of large trees.  i think if he was thinking long term-like 6 months,- he'd consider the effort.   I don't know if i would build a platform if I had flat ground.  I think you could insulate the ground with leaves, ferns etc.  

• Love 2

Larry's first week of ranting probably has finally done some good, he just needed to emote.

He showed the camera the beginning of building stairs to insure better footing as he brings building materials up, however it is still by the stream.

The Larry PSA about sheathing his axe right after showing MK's accident segment was  intentional by editors but uncomfy.

If Larry wins it will be the best story arc because he will have come the furthest... from fighting nature to becoming one with nature.

• Love 3

Sigh.  Episode 4 from last week still hasn't shown up on my Comcast OnDemand menu.  I've been trying show it to Mr. HV, because he loves this show but is never home on Thursday nights to catch the broadcast.  Woe is me.

It isn't enough to call Comcast to complain, because that is a fresh hell I don't want to deal with, but is it only me, or is it missing from everyone's OnDemand?

This and other shows do not show up on my On-Demand either.  Hey, they want us to watch their shows, but do not make them available to us.  Last weeks alone was not available last time I looked for it.

It may be the Discovery channels that are responsible, most of the big networks are On-Demand the day after broadcast.

58 minutes ago, HurricaneVal said:

Sigh.  Episode 4 from last week still hasn't shown up on my Comcast OnDemand menu.  I've been trying show it to Mr. HV, because he loves this show but is never home on Thursday nights to catch the broadcast.  Woe is me.

It isn't enough to call Comcast to complain, because that is a fresh hell I don't want to deal with, but is it only me, or is it missing from everyone's OnDemand?

Just to make sure you know.. the last episode was actually Ep.3.    The first (introduction ) episode is not in the numbers.  I don't have Comcast..but I would like to give Discovery channel a little 'hello'--   I counted 26 minutes of commercials on the last Alone ep.    I already hollered at the Science Channel for the noise on "What on Earth".  It's not my usual MO but sometimes it pushes me over the edge!   

• Love 3

I have stupid Comcast/Xfinity too, and sometimes you can find the show by going in under the name of the network and then the show. It makes no sense (they may have different shows listed under these different areas?! ), but I have seen this happen with other shows. And yes, I swear up a storm like Larry when they do stuff like that!   ;) 

• Love 2

Comcast/Xfinity is calling the run-up to Season 2 episode 201, then the first episode is 202, then 203...  Last week's with the medivac etc. should have been 204.  But in the OnDemand menu, the Alone listing in "Shows A-F (HD)" only has 201 and 202 , and the Alone listing in "Shows A-F" has 201, 202, and 203.

That's a good idea to go into the History Channel listings, then drill down to Alone.  That might have a different listing yet!

I have Fios and some of the episodes never show up, I just DVR what I want to see and can fast forward through the ads. I have also found episodes under HD but not under SD, You would think they had a plan, I see Naked and afraids are not on demand at all. 

Regardless of the start, I just love this episode so far.   

The wood-drying rack, the 'faucet', the table etc.  :) 

I got such a kick out of "Okay, it's day 276(?), and I have begun communicating with the animals".  

• Love 5

Brand new hit song on the iTunes chart, "I kissed a slug, and her name was Barbara." lol   Mike is totally gonna be there a while. He is turning into a Lucas. Look at all the stuff he built! He has rocketed up to the top with Jose for me. Is Mike sleeping out in the open? 

I love how Justin was saying, there won't be anything in the net, another day of hunger. But I might as well check, Le sigh.  "Oh look, a fish!". Haha. 

Oh man, Larry is just such a downer. He really sees everything from a negative viewpoint. 

• Love 4

Man, no Jose tonight. Bummer. He must last for a long time. All the people that have been featured a lot have tapped out first.

I stand corrected: David accidentally dumped his water. It was not Larry, like I had stated back-thread. Yeah! Larry had a success and he still starts to swear! 

• Love 2

IMO, Nicole was a bit foolish right there.  I believe she should have waited to check her gill net, and she certainly should not *run* away.   That's like saying, "Hey bear, let's play chase".   

I don't know what it is about David that I find so off-putting.  I don't think it's anything he's doing.  Maybe he just reminds me of someone I didn't like.  ha.  

• Love 2

I know next to nothing about any of this outdoorsy type stuff (I've never even been camping!) but isn't it not a good idea to set up your gill net in a known bear spot? When Nicole said she was setting her net up there because she saw the bears fishing there they day before, it surprised me. I figured if that's their spot they would come and raid any fishes caught in the net.

• Love 4