Type keyword(s) to search

Season Two Talk: Brand New Contestants, Same Old Bears

Quilt Fairy
  • Start Topic

MaryKate...oh, MaryKate.  I expected more from you.  But I also don't blame you for being pissed about your wet boots, you were pretty much dumped into the water during your drop-off, and that starts you out on your little survival adventure with a handicap.  I do, however, blame you for being so upset at waking up to wet gear.  That bit of wet was your fault for building your shelter in such a way that the water is funneled into your tent.  Plus?  Down bag.

Why WHY would you bring a down bag???

Question

What was Desmond's plan for the wood he was sawing? It didn't seem as if they were large enough to help with a shelter but they looked too large for firewood. Was he just killing time? Making stools for the Bears! What were the mini logs for?

]

LOL, we couldn't figure it out either. They were a really odd size. Maybe he was going to hurl them at the bears???

• Love 2

They keep casting dry-climate people for this show.  Homer and the Yukon are both pretty dry, compared to Vancouver Island.  Most US military-trained people are desert-trained these days. 

Active duty military train in a variety of environments. Two of the places I trained at while I was in the Marines for example, were 29 Palms (the Mohave Desert), and the Jungle Warfare Training Center in Okinawa.

The thing is...military training really has nothing to do with wilderness survival. Military training is all about preparing people to fight a war, and no army could effectively fight a war if it had to worry about basic necessities like water, food, and shelter.

The only time anyone in the military would ever find themselves in a wilderness survival situation is maybe a pilot who has been shot down behind enemy lines, someone who has escaped a POW camp, or special operations types on a mission that went south, badly. Because it's not a situation that most people would ever plausibly run into, even during a war, it's not something most people are trained in.

If I were dropped onto Vancouver Island with the cast of Alone I think I'd last longer than a day, and would not panic at bear sign, but I also wouldn't be able to get a fire going in those wet conditions, and have no idea how to safely butcher and prepare food, let alone fashion traps to obtain it in the first place. I'd be an early tap. On that note it's sort of odd that military service is being trumped up as a qualifying factor in some of the contestant's biographies. Unless they got some specialized training on wilderness survival beyond what is usual, military service no more prepares you to survive alone in the wild than college.

The only survival training I remember getting was how to stay afloat in the ocean if you end up having to abandon ship, using only your pants as an improvised flotation device. As odd as it sounds, it actually works. You remove it and tie off the ends of the pants legs and throw it over your head and tuck it under you, clinching the waist shut. Some air gets trapped inside, but slowly leaks out, so you have to keep repeating the process every 5 or 10 minutes.

In the 1990s some Marine stepped onto the deck of a ship at night to smoke a cigarette (he was neither supposed to be on deck at that time, or smoking), someone opened a hatch that struck him in the back and knocked him overboard, without the person who opened the hatch realizing it. He spent two days in the Pacific floating on his pants before a Thai fishing boat picked him up.

I'm rooting for all the former military contestants (Jose, Tracy, Justin, Mike) to represent and go far, and was disappointed by Desmond being first tap, even though I predicted it. I hope the remaining former military contestants either got specialized wilderness survival training while they were in, or picked up the skillset later, because basic military training isn't enough.

Just glancing at the bios, Jose, Justin, and Mike sound like they *may* have had more specialized training than Desmond. Jose is former Special Operations with the Spanish Foreign Legion, Mike was a SERE instructor, and Justin was a Scout-Sniper. Tracy's career bio sounds as thin as Desmond's, but it also sounds like she was taught survival skills by her father. She also looked the most competent out of the batch of contestants we saw in the first drop off episode.

Edited by Scaeva
  • Love 8

I agree, but sometimes you have to make your own luck. I think he became so focused and spooked by the bears in the neighborhood that he couldn't even formulate a Plan B. In some situations, you really need to have a short memory. His fear paralyzed him.

Exactly, which is why he would have needed more of one of the other two things I mentioned:  confidence.

• Love 2

I kind of thought that looked too wide open and, er, dry for Alaska, but it was definitely a house that people lived in.  A nice house, in fact...which did make me wonder, since Alaska isn't cheap and hot shot work is kind of seasonal.  I didn't stop to think that it could have been her mom's place, but clearly it wasn't a generic "rented for a day's filming" place.

I can't wait until the season progresses and I can start to tell people apart.  At least with the three women and the one (now departed) black guy I could keep at least four people straight in the premiere.  The other six?  I haven't a clue...

Buying Alaska is a guilty pleasure of mine. You would be surprised at how affordable many of the houses in Alaska are. It is one of the few places I know of where it is normal to have a house without water attached to a main line, electricity and other common features expected in any house I will ever buy. I have learned more about water collection systems, solar power, turbines, candles and alternative sources of heating then I ever thought I would know. Hawaii has a lot of alternative water systems as well but no where near the number of unique systems that I have seen in Alaska.

People who are interested in being more independent and living off the land can buy a ton of land and a decent house for a pretty reasonable price. It is actually pretty impressive how far the money can go if you are not looking to live in a traditional house.

• Love 2

Geeze. Congrats to those who had Desmond in the 'first to go' pool. He didn't make it long enough to have a picnic lunch!

Tracy looks like one to watch..

When I read your post it read like the racing forms at ractracks. Made me smile.

• Love 1

Didn't a bunch of the folks from the last season basically say that early on their camps got some interest from the bears as they were curious about this new thing in their territory, and wanted to test this new thing, but that after the curiosity was satisfied, the bears pretty much just left them alone?  Once they were determined to be neither food source nor threat, the bears just let them be.  So, unless you were going to freak out or do something really stooopid like keep your trailmix in your tent, you could gut out the first few days of scary stalking and loud growly noises and then be left in peace.  Now, that works on bears.  Cougars, on the other hand...

• Love 5
(edited)

I thought the scene of Desmond trying to raise up his backpack rather odd. It seemed like he was doing that rather than actually looking for a decent place to set up camp, and when he couldn't do that said, "See, I can't bear-proof my backpack, I guess I just have to tap out". This could simply be because of what Desmond chose to film over what he didn't film, the editors might not have had much to work with. And apparently he was trying to lift up a pretty substantial looking backpack with 40 lb test fishing line, because he did not choose paracord as one of his items.

ETA: I can't dis Desmond for not picking paracord after all. It seems to me that several contestants brought paracord last season, and it would appear to be a versatile and useful tool. But the only one who brought it this season is Larry. I don't know what you're supposed to do if you do need rope of some kind, braid fishing line together? VI doesn't look like a vine-y kind of place like say, the Amazon.

Edited by Quilt Fairy
  • Love 2

Active duty military train in a variety of environments. Two of the places I trained at while I was in the Marines for example, were 29 Palms (the Mohave Desert), and the Jungle Warfare Training Center in Okinawa.

The thing is...military training really has nothing to do with wilderness survival. Military training is all about preparing people to fight a war, and no army could effectively fight a war if it had to worry about basic necessities like water, food, and shelter.

The only time anyone in the military would ever find themselves in a wilderness survival situation is maybe a pilot who has been shot down behind enemy lines, someone who has escaped a POW camp, or special operations types on a mission that went south, badly. Because it's not a situation that most people would ever plausibly run into, even during a war, it's not something most people are trained in.

If I were dropped onto Vancouver Island with the cast of Alone I think I'd last longer than a day, and would not panic at bear sign, but I also wouldn't be able to get a fire going in those wet conditions, and have no idea how to safely butcher and prepare food, let alone fashion traps to obtain it in the first place. I'd be an early tap. On that note it's sort of odd that military service is being trumped up as a qualifying factor in some of the contestant's biographies. Unless they got some specialized training on wilderness survival beyond what is usual, military service no more prepares you to survive alone in the wild than college.

Absolutely right. Most members of the military receive little primitive survival training. Very few have a job where they could find themselves in the wilderness, and even fewer who might find themselves alone, and none will be without supplies unless things have gone seriously wrong. A soldier, alone, without supplies, living off the land, is not much of a combat threat, except for any intelligence he gathers while avoiding the enemy waiting for rescue. Pretty much all soldiers are trained to go from point A to point B using a map and/or compass (unfortunately, for many it's in one ear and out the other). Escape and evasion, yes a little in basic training, again usually forgotten. Very few are trained to trap/snare/catch game or to tell which plant is edible and which will kill you. Little army training would help on Alone.

The only survival training I remember getting was how to stay afloat in the ocean if you end up having to abandon ship, using only your pants as an improvised flotation device. As odd as it sounds, it actually works. You remove it and tie off the ends of the pants legs and throw it over your head and tuck it under you, clinching the waist shut. Some air gets trapped inside, but slowly leaks out, so you have to keep repeating the process every 5 or 10 minutes.

In the 1990s some Marine stepped onto the deck of a ship at night to smoke a cigarette (he was neither supposed to be on deck at that time, or smoking), someone opened a hatch that struck him in the back and knocked him overboard, without the person who opened the hatch realizing it. He spent two days in the Pacific floating on his pants before a Thai fishing boat picked him up.

Ah, we called that "drown proofing". At one point some off duty soldiers were out on a lake, somehow ended up in the water and drowned. Someone in the chain of command decided it be be a good idea if everyone took drown proofing classes. So, as part of our annual safety class requirements, units went swimming for an afternoon. Part of the class was jumping in the deep end of the pool dressed in BDUs over swim trunks, undress and use your uniform as floatation devices - and yes it does work. Course, wouldn't do much good if you were off duty fishing at the lake on a boat while in shorts and t-shirt (and maybe a 6 pack or 2 in the cooler).

I'm rooting for all the former military contestants (Jose, Tracy, Justin, Mike) to represent and go far, and was disappointed by Desmond being first tap, even though I predicted it. I hope the remaining former military contestants either got specialized wilderness survival training while they were in, or picked up the skillset later, because basic military training isn't enough.

I kind of chuckled at seeing that Desmond listed the Boy Scouts as part of his early training. My personal scouting experience comes from a couple years as a Cub Scout. Truth is, a Scout who earns all the Outdoor Merit Badges will be better trained than your average soldier.

Just glancing at the bios, Jose, Justin, and Mike sound like they *may* have had more specialized training than Desmond. Jose is former Special Operations with the Spanish Foreign Legion, Mike was a SERE instructor, and Justin was a Scout-Sniper. Tracy's career bio sounds as thin as Desmond's, but it also sounds like she was taught survival skills by her father. She also looked the most competent out of the batch of contestants we saw in the first drop off episode.

I root for the military guys because of my 20 year in the Army, but don't expect much just because of their service. The three you mention, Jose, Justin and Mike all probably received more training useful for Alone than most because of the military jobs. However, judging from their bios, I imagine even more of their useful knowledge came outside their military training. Edited by SRTouch
  • Love 2

... what Desmond chose to film over what he didn't film, the editors might not have had much to work with......

This is a really important point.  It is the participants who make the decision, either purposely or accidentally, about what to film for the editors to work with.  Although they all had some camera training during the training week, there are likely different levels of comfort and familiarity with the cameras and filming.

Edited by Liberty
  • Love 2

I wonder if that's why we saw so little of Sam in the last season, except for in the very beginning and towards the end, because he just couldn't be bothered to film his days.

I thought we saw a lot of Sam throughout. It was Mitch that we were clamoring for. "More Mitch!" I frequently yelled from my couch :)

• Love 2

I thought the scene of Desmond trying to raise up his backpack rather odd. It seemed like he was doing that rather than actually looking for a decent place to set up camp, and when he couldn't do that said, "See, I can't bear-proof my backpack, I guess I just have to tap out". This could simply be because of what Desmond chose to film over what he didn't film, the editors might not have had much to work with. And apparently he was trying to lift up a pretty substantial looking backpack with 40 lb test fishing line, because he did not choose paracord as one of his items.

ETA: I can't dis Desmond for not picking paracord after all. It seems to me that several contestants brought paracord last season, and it would appear to be a versatile and useful tool. But the only one who brought it this season is Larry. I don't know what you're supposed to do if you do need rope of some kind, braid fishing line together? VI doesn't look like a vine-y kind of place like say, the Amazon.

I really can't pick on the guys who chose fishing line over paracord. Sure paracord is great stuff, but you can multi task you fish line, too. My problem with the fish line crowd is with the guys who stay with lighter line. IIRC, last season only Lucas used his line to catch fish, and that was using a trot line. So why not take heavier line, especially if the plan is to use it for your cordage. When it's time to stake down my shelter, make a clothes line, or one of the million things around camp I use my cordage for, I may want more than 40 lb test. More than one person brought two strengths, including David who chose 270 yards 50 lb test and 30 yards of 100 lb test. It's really a balancing act. The stronger the line, the thicker and stiffer it will be, and the harder it will be to tit a good knot.

Still, given that only one person in two seasons has used their fishing line to catch a fish, I think I'd go with 20 meters of paracord for ease of use and strength.

• Love 1
On 4/25/2016 at 2:18 PM, Liberty said:

This is a really important point.  It is the participants who make the decision, either purposely or accidentally, about what to film for the editors to work with.  Although they all had some camera training during the training week, there are likely different levels of comfort and familiarity with the cameras and filming.

Yea, I imagine there are going to be those who naturally gravitate toward the camera, who are good at setting it up for shooting, and want to talk a lot. Some people are just not going to be as into it as others. I wonder if they've ever had to go out there and say, "You're not filming enough, get on it!"? At the same time, certain things should not be filmed. If you're trying to climb a steep wall (*ahem*Larry*ahem), maybe leave the camera behind and have better use of your arms. Just saying. 

• Love 1

I'm just wondering if Alan in Season 1 has me spoiled. He was so entertaining and such a great guy. A real Renaisance Man who quoted poetry. And Sam was so good to teach us how he made his deadfalls. Lucas was creating something out of nothing on every episode.

Well, we don't know these people yet. There may be more charismatic personalities than last season. I know I'm lovin' Tracy just because she is so matter of fact and calm and I'm an Appalachian Trail lover (just section hike here and there). Anxious to see the next batch. Don't think you are seeing more of people because they stay or go. You never know. You get to see more of their personalities as the herd thins out. More time to spend on individuals.

I love this show.

• Love 4

Regarding the camera time, I think that Mitch went through that towards the end. We saw very little of what he was thinking and doing right before his tap-out and I think he just didn't want to share his angst about leaving and his worry about his mom on camera. He did his official "tap-out" on camera, but at the end, I know that I kept saying, "Where is Mitch?" and it seemed like there was nothing to show. I really would have liked to know how long Alan would have gone, if they left him out there. I do think, however (as much as I love Mitch), that Lucas would have been the best person for a real long-term survival. He actually created a real, stable place to live in (more than one) and created other things. Alan's "cave" and Sam's tarp covered "thing" would not have sustained either for a lot longer. 

• Love 3
29 minutes ago, riverheightsnancy said:

Regarding the camera time, I think that Mitch went through that towards the end. We saw very little of what he was thinking and doing right before his tap-out and I think he just didn't want to share his angst about leaving and his worry about his mom on camera. He did his official "tap-out" on camera, but at the end, I know that I kept saying, "Where is Mitch?" and it seemed like there was nothing to show. I really would have liked to know how long Alan would have gone, if they left him out there. I do think, however (as much as I love Mitch), that Lucas would have been the best person for a real long-term survival. He actually created a real, stable place to live in (more than one) and created other things. Alan's "cave" and Sam's tarp covered "thing" would not have sustained either for a lot longer. 

I agree. Lucas had the incredible, vast skillset to last forever out there. His only downfall was that he just kind of lost interest in being lonely. I really respected him for how he went out, it wasn't about the money for him, but if someone wants to stay out there long-term they have to have a very powerful motivation (like a massive cash prize) :)

• Love 5

I agree. I had major respect for all the final 4 and the reasons the last 3 left the island. They all did an amazing job, and I think they really accomplished what they came for. 

I do think Alan kind of spoiled us on camera time. He could talk for hours and still be hilarious and insightful. He was a real treasure. I'm sure I'll enjoy this season, but I don't know if there will ever be anyone as lovable as him. 

• Love 9

I like Tracy a lot, even though her voice is a bit unnerving. I'll get used to it, but if I'm looking away and she's talking I forget it's a woman. She seems the most adept at surviving out there. The other lady, I don't think will make it too far.

Larry, LOL, he's going to wind up sleeping in a tree.

• Love 4

Granted, my TV is in my office and elevated on the wall about 6-8 feet from me, and I just can barely read the comments and I am trying to read them!  RE: tonight's episode, I say Larry taps next. 

Oooh, it starts on Day 5. Already off to a better start than Season 1. (I think that there were 3 taps at this point in Season 1). 

• Love 1

i'm recording and have to let it get ahead  bit so I can skip the commercials.  I hope we see day one for the other participants.  I have Larry as an early tap too, but my guess is it's not tonight

I think that we are to assume that they all made it to Day 5. So, if the red tide doesn't allow Tracy to eat mussels, how can the other guys eat the seaweed and kelp that we see Mike illustrating?  His discussion of the vegetation was really good. I want to see Jose & Tracy! Justin going barefoot, not sure about that! 

3 minutes ago, cooksdelight said:

Randy is a dumbass for not knowing how to fish, LOL!! JMO

Mike (?) caught 3 fish by doing nothing but hanging up a gill net.

I am doing grading and missed it, but Randy said he doesn't know how to fish!? oops. Not my Mitch after all!  Yeah, 3 fish for Mike. I am liking him quite a bit and I was concerned about his psychological issues during the preshow. 

30 minutes ago, riverheightsnancy said:

I think that we are to assume that they all made it to Day 5. So, if the red tide doesn't allow Tracy to eat mussels, how can the other guys eat the seaweed and kelp that we see Mike illustrating?  His discussion of the vegetation was really good. I want to see Jose & Tracy! Justin going barefoot, not sure about that! 

Seaweed doesn't concentrate the red tide organisms the way that filter-feeders like mussels do--just rinse off the kelp in fresh water and it should be fine.  

• Love 1

I do not get what MK is doing with her shelter at all. I don't think it is the best idea to have a shelter that only has tarp for walls and no room to stand or do anything (IMO). A wolf, bear or cougar can get right through that. I would want walls like Lucas did. 

Oh man, spoke too soon about Mike and his psychological concerns. Like Cooks said, very said heart crushing story. 

On noes, Randy has become Joe (wasn't that his name for season 1 of the dropped ferro rod)!   Wasn't expecting this to happen. Man, MK's little Greta is an absolute doll. Looks like my daughter as a baby. The way she was handling that ax was definitely sloppy. 

I'm liking Mike but he has head games already. Geeze. Randy lost his ferro rod already. David has the right idea with the trotline. I wish him success. Didn't like the way Mary Kate was using her knife in the opening scene. Awkward.

• Love 2

MK has her tent in one place, her fire area in another. WTF? I'm not outdoorsy but I know you'd want your fire near where you sleep. Randy lost his ferro rod already. I don't see him lasting much longer. He's a dumbass. LOL

I guess the single guy with three kids decided he's going to advertise that he's single and unattached as long as he's on TV. "Dating on Alone"

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, cooksdelight said:

MK has her tent in one place, her fire area in another. WTF? I'm not outdoorsy but I know you'd want your fire near where you sleep.

She has her cooking space separate from where she sleeps so she doesn't draw predators to where she sleeps.

If she can maintain more than one fire, she may keep one near her sleeping camp as well.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, cooksdelight said:

I'm remembering Alan and Sam having their fires right inside their shelters. Thanks for the info.

Lucas, definitely did, Mitch had more of an open shelter with the fire inside blocking the doorway, if I remember correctly. 

I did like how MK had those big rocks around her fire, those can really hold heat too. She seemed to have built up a lot of wood that has been drying in that open camp area. I hope her hand is ok. 

First, Randy admits he's not much for knowing how to fish.  Wish you had mentioned that to us, Randy before you went out to coastal site.

Every ferro rod I saw in the intro except one (justin's i think) was plain, gray with no bright marker.  I would have looped it around my neck  or attached it to something  bright and cumbersome so I'm not absentmindedly dropping it somewhere. Don't these people learn?  If they do this all the time or even teach it, don't they develop certain habits?  I might understand this mistake more if it hadn't been perfectly demonstrated last season, and the consequences.  

Not looking good for MK if she cut a tendon.  Don't know if I'd risk permanent loss of the use of my thumb to keep on.  Think she's a goner.

Can someone PLEASE tell me why/how MK has a white table in her tent??   Does anyone else find it odd?

• Love 4
23 minutes ago, riverheightsnancy said:

I am doing grading and missed it, but Randy said he doesn't know how to fish!? oops. 

Whoa Randy, I had you picked to go far. Not so sure now, though. Strike one was Randy is the only one NOT to bring extra emergency rations. Strike two is he was overconfident about trapping/hunting game. He brought wire to make snares, but so far his traps seem to be made with rope/twine he found somewhere. Strike three, dufus lost his fire starter. Ok, accidents can happen to anyone pretty much anytime. A contributing factor here could well be a week with little food.hopefully he can pull it together and get some food and start that friction fire he's working on in the previews.

I notice a couple folks are using rope/twine which they must has found. 

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, rainsmom said:

She has her cooking space separate from where she sleeps so she doesn't draw predators to where she sleeps.

If she can maintain more than one fire, she may keep one near her sleeping camp as well.

I couldn't tell if it was a cooking area or not.  Itt may have been because she did bring an extra tarp.  BTW did anyone else see where they said each participant was issued 2 tarps?.   I don't recall seeing that on any of the lists...

I agree that Mike has heavy issues and it was a red flag for me at the start.  I also thought the way he described his wife was a little odd.  

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, seasick said:

Can someone PLEASE tell me why/how MK has a white table in her tent??   Does anyone else find it odd?

I'm assuming it washed up on her beach.  ???

Edited by MostlyContent

I was really surprised when I saw at least one guy walking around barefoot especially when he was stepping on rocks and such, not just on the beach.  All he needs is a nasty cut that gets infected and he's out of there.

I hope MK didn't do any permanent damage to her hand but I also hope the cut is enough to send her home.  I'm already sick of hearing about her kids and she talks like she's read way too much Norman Vincent Peale.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, MostlyContent said:

It's wise of MK to set up a separate kitchen space in an area with so much wildlife.  

IIRC, at one point didn't Alan set up a separate cooking area. As I remember, that was his plan, but he later said it was too much work collecting wood for a second fire. 

• Love 1