Type keyword(s) to search

Season Two Talk: Brand New Contestants, Same Old Bears

Quilt Fairy
  • Start Topic

I have my money on Jose with Tracy as second based on editing. It is surprising that we have not seen a single second of Jose.  I think that it is acceptable to speculate, as I stated this is not based on any spoilers and I have not looked at any outside sites for any contestants. I will wait to the end to do that if I have a favorite. 

We haven't seen Nicole, either.

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, riverheightsnancy said:

Haha. I think I saw a soda stream, a panni maker and a popcorn machine too. 

MK: " wow! you guys are early!  I was up late watching uh--listening to the raindrops. I must have fallen asleep in my chair."

Producer:  "Yess.. ummm..speaking of which.".. looking around incredulously.  "You have quite the set-up here.  furniture.. appliances..."

MK:  Right???   Am I lucky or what??  I just said "thank you Jesus" and fished this stuff right out of there.  My boots got wet again..but I think it was worth It!! "

Producer:  (still looking)  ..plumbing...  curtains....framed art??

MK:  "Yeah!!  Hey I was raised in the south side Chicago.  things fell off the back of trucks ALL the TIME!!   Guess it's just my dumb luck!" 

• Love 4
30 minutes ago, Ina123 said:

I have my money on Jose with Tracy as second based on editing. It is surprising that we have not seen a single second of Jose.  I think that it is acceptable to speculate, as I stated this is not based on any spoilers and I have not looked at any outside sites for any contestants. I will wait to the end to do that if I have a favorite. 

We haven't seen Nicole, either.

Yes, I couldn't remember her name. I thought that she would struggle because of her MS, but so far, she must be ok. She has that upbeat personality that may help her too. 

• Love 1
18 hours ago, seasick said:

Despite the naysayers, I'm with Ghoulina's hubby.    Most, if not all the participants say they are doing it to test their skills and I'm sure they intend,  at least,  to thrive and make the most of things--not just wait it out like a sentence.    I do get that their diet is lacking--and I'm sure it's hard to appreciate that from here,  but the tedium of boredom and the loss of interest in new challenges can be a big take-down factor.  I think it brings on the loneliness too.  And I'm not convinced it's just the diet that is to blame.  Loss of interest and motivation to keep improving things or finding new challenges can just be that.  

I don't expect that everyone out there would think a cabin is worthwhile pursuit, but maybe one of them will.  I can't imagine that it hasn't been a thought in some of their minds going in.

I agree. I think the monotony and the boredom are huge factors in their mental state and ability to last out there. They don't have to build a 3 room cabin, but something to sleep in and offer additional protection from weather and predators would be cool. If you did it early enough in the venture, you'd still have a decent amount of energy. Mike should build one, he's already caught more fish than he can eat!

• Love 2

What day were we on? 5? I'd like to see everyone's first moments and how they got settled but I doubt they will go back in time. I'm thinking they just didn't have the footage. It would be crazy to pop in on Jose for the first time and see him settled in with a great shelter and steady food supply.

• Love 3

Wait!......  Was that a Keurig machine in the corner????

Keurig machines are native to Pacific Northwest and can only be caught with the most sensitive trigger traps.

All kidding aside, I have actually learned from Sue on Life Below Zero (a kick ass middle age woman who actually lives by herself and runs a business NORTH of the Arctic Circle) that bears hate the smell of used coffee grounds and she sprinkles some on her housing perimeter as a natural repellent.

Otherwise, I have no idea if this is true.

• Love 4
55 minutes ago, qtpye said:

Keurig machines are native to Pacific Northwest and can only be caught with the most sensitive trigger traps.

All kidding aside, I have actually learned from Sue on Life Below Zero (a kick ass middle age woman who actually lives by herself and runs a business NORTH of the Arctic Circle) that bears hate the smell of used coffee grounds and she sprinkles some on her housing perimeter as a natural repellent.

Lol.  AH yes, the elusive yet beautiful Keurig.  

That's really interesting about the coffee grounds. Never knew that.      Are you listening MK?  tear open those coffee pods and spread um around.  And while you're at it --hide that pizza box.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, qtpye said:

OMG, you are hilarious. :)  You could be right. 

Lol.  AH yes, the elusive yet beautiful Keurig.  

That's really interesting about the coffee grounds. Never knew that.      Are you listening MK?  tear open those coffee pods and spread um around.  And while you're at it --hide that pizza box.  

That lady I was talking about, Sue, runs a hunting camp airplane refueling business north of the Arctic circle.  She is not allowed to put up permanent structures, because she is not an Alaskan native.  So, she sleeps in a tent the size of a house.  Sue has actually had a bear crash through her tent and attack her while she was sleeping.  She now always sleeps with a gun by her bed at all times.

I kept on thinking about her bear attack when I was looking at the flimsy shelters and lean toos most of the people were sleeping in.

All of these people are much braver then I ever could be.

• Love 3

Regarding the cabin thing, I know I went into Season 1 expecting everyone to at least attempt to build some kind of permanent shelter, because of the "up to 1 year" aspect of the stated challenge. And all of the contestants talked about how they were not only going to survive, but thrive out there. And then it turned into an endurance contest of who could simply hang tough the longest without starving to death.  But I don't think that anyone, even the producers expected that, or Alan winning after only 56 days.  But it still ended up a fascinating show to watch, although Alan and Lucas were its saving grace because they were so personable and entertaining.

Now I've gone into Season 2 expecting better things from the new batch of contestants because they should have been much better prepared for the conditions. But so far with Desmond's early tapout and Randy losing his ferro rod, it's beginning to seem like S1 redux. I hope these folks start to do better.

• Love 4

We don;'t know what is in store this year, but except for Desmond, 9 people are still there over a week. I think half the people tapped out by the first week, so I think this group of people is better prepared mentally.. 

• Love 2

Sue is on "Life Below Zero". You can catch a repeat here and there. Don't know when a new season starts.

She had a serious 4 wheeler accident that was caught on film and damaged her shoulder. She's having trouble keeping the place up. She's a tough bird, though...and entertaining.

• Love 2

Note: my grasp of names is tenuous, but I figure you'll know who I'm talking about if I'm wrong.

I don't think Mike could have dug much deeper to bury the fish, because he was burying it on the beach and had to worry about the water line. I don't care how well the fish is cooked--if it's under water it will deteriorate.  If I were he, I would have eaten the fish anyway, maybe after an hour or so to let the first meal settle a bit, because if the food is in your system you can't lose it (barring gastrointestinal distress).  It's the same idea with water in the desert: drink while you have it.

Speaking of desert, Randy was definitely expecting a lot more potential prey like he probably would find in Utah--really, didn't he watch last year?  With a couple of mice being the only prey?  Did he think he was some sort of "great hunter" and could find prey where others couldn't?  Then again, maybe none of these people watch TV because they're too busy being outdoorsy.

Mary Kate--she was so busy being proud of herself and expounding for the camera that she nearly cut her thumb off.  Not a good example for your girls, right there. 

I really want to see more of Tracy.  And the evil part of me wants to see more of Larry lurching about and cursing the terrain--I could watch that all day.  Really, dude, if it's that bad, travel and find someplace else like that one guy did last year.

Thus endeth my armchair Monday-morning quarterbacking!

• Love 6
5 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

Regarding the cabin thing, I know I went into Season 1 expecting everyone to at least attempt to build some kind of permanent shelter, because of the "up to 1 year" aspect of the stated challenge. And all of the contestants talked about how they were not only going to survive, but thrive out there. And then it turned into an endurance contest of who could simply hang tough the longest without starving to death.  But I don't think that anyone, even the producers expected that, or Alan winning after only 56 days.  But it still ended up a fascinating show to watch, although Alan and Lucas were its saving grace because they were so personable and entertaining.

Now I've gone into Season 2 expecting better things from the new batch of contestants because they should have been much better prepared for the conditions. But so far with Desmond's early tapout and Randy losing his ferro rod, it's beginning to seem like S1 redux. I hope these folks start to do better.

You may have hit upon something here when you mentioned the 'personable and entertainment' factor with Lucas and Alan.. I think personality may have been a bigger factor in this year's choices because of that.  I'm thinking mostly of Desmond, who seemed more of a city boy-scout and not at all suited to this challenge, but was very outgoing, lighthearted and probably funny.  The producers approached Nicole to join up, and although I think their initial thought was to include capable women this season, she too, is sunny and outgoing.   When I think of survivalist bushcrafters  willing to spend months alone, I don't automatically think of chatty, people-persons.  

On another note I visited the "blade" forum that Holly linked, and Dave did post a bit--no spoilers, natch.  But he did say he was surprised that they started his story at day 5, but that he was 'okay with where he was then'--or something like that.   Again I wish they had made Ep. 1 a two-parter or 2 hours.  Sounds as though he felt he had some worthwhile footage during those days.  Considering the extra burden they have of the cameras and the filming, it seems a slap in the face to not use it for the majority of the Aloners  esp.when --- from their standpoint-- they're having to do the most work at that time. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Fosca said:

Note: my grasp of names is tenuous, but I figure you'll know who I'm talking about if I'm wrong.

I don't think Mike could have dug much deeper to bury the fish, because he was burying it on the beach and had to worry about the water line. I don't care how well the fish is cooked--if it's under water it will deteriorate.  If I were he, I would have eaten the fish anyway, maybe after an hour or so to let the first meal settle a bit, because if the food is in your system you can't lose it (barring gastrointestinal distress).  It's the same idea with water in the desert: drink while you have it.

Speaking of desert, Randy was definitely expecting a lot more potential prey like he probably would find in Utah--really, didn't he watch last year?  With a couple of mice being the only prey?  Did he think he was some sort of "great hunter" and could find prey where others couldn't?  Then again, maybe none of these people watch TV because they're too busy being outdoorsy.

Mary Kate--she was so busy being proud of herself and expounding for the camera that she nearly cut her thumb off.  Not a good example for your girls, right there. 

I really want to see more of Tracy.  And the evil part of me wants to see more of Larry lurching about and cursing the terrain--I could watch that all day.  Really, dude, if it's that bad, travel and find someplace else like that one guy did last year.

Thus endeth my armchair Monday-morning quarterbacking!

Loved your post--agreed with all of it, except I can't take credit for thinking of the water table when Mike buried his fish.  I should have known, I lived on a sandy, barrier island for most of my life.    Also admit to a 'told-ya'so" nod on the Mk statement.   I think it would have been hilarious if every ten minutes or so they flashed over to Larry.. still kicking trees and flailing at the shrubbery.    "I could watch that all day"  lol---that's so bad...hehehe....me too.

• Love 3

Is that true, Nicole was recruited? I did not watch the preview too closely or read their bios on the website. I agree that it would have been great to see all of their Day 1s. Maybe they are saving it for the end of season "insider" clips? I hope we get to see all of them, maybe there is a reason though. If there is another extended episode on this week with Alan narration (make the font bigger!!!), maybe there are extra scenes as well? Looking forward to see what ahppens this week. I want to see Nicole, Jose and Tracy! 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Ina123 said:

Sue is on "Life Below Zero". You can catch a repeat here and there. Don't know when a new season starts.

She had a serious 4 wheeler accident that was caught on film and damaged her shoulder. She's having trouble keeping the place up. She's a tough bird, though...and entertaining.

The new season of Life Below Zero started weeks ago; this Thursday is already episode 5.  FWIW, Sue's recent accident was on a snowmobile.  She's certainly had her share of surgeries since the show started.

I've been spoiled by watching shows like Survivorman, Life Below Zero, The Last Alaskans, Port Protection, Edge of Alaska, Yukon Men, etc. that I have higher expectations for contestants in general.  Maybe some of those folks could build a log cabin and find more food.  I'd love to see a First Nations or Inuit contestant, too.

• Love 3
24 minutes ago, riverheightsnancy said:

Is that true, Nicole was recruited? I did not watch the preview too closely or read their bios on the website. I agree that it would have been great to see all of their Day 1s. Maybe they are saving it for the end of season "insider" clips? I hope we get to see all of them, maybe there is a reason though. If there is another extended episode on this week with Alan narration (make the font bigger!!!), maybe there are extra scenes as well? Looking forward to see what ahppens this week. I want to see Nicole, Jose and Tracy! 

In an article link http://decider.com/2016/04/21/alone-s2-nicole-apelian-interview/ from her page, she is quoted as saying, "the producers sought her out for season two and she was thrilled to be involved." Not sure how actively she was recruited, but it seems the producers listened to viewers comments about wanting female contestants.

And yes, still waiting to see my two top choices, Nicole and Jose.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, SRTouch said:

In an article link http://decider.com/2016/04/21/alone-s2-nicole-apelian-interview/ from her page, she is quoted as saying, "the producers sought her out for season two and she was thrilled to be involved." Not sure how actively she was recruited, but it seems the producers listened to viewers comments about wanting female contestants.

And yes, still waiting to see my two top choices, Nicole and Jose.

Interesting. I know that they recruited quite a few for season one as well. Pretty sure Mitch was recruited. What I mean by recruited is that they put word out on the scene for survival trainers and contacted them as well, that they were doing this show and wanted to know if any of these guys with specific skills want to be involved. Be had better see Jose and Nicole this week! 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, riverheightsnancy said:

Interesting. I know that they recruited quite a few for season one as well. Pretty sure Mitch was recruited. What I mean by recruited is that they put word out on the scene for survival trainers and contacted them as well, that they were doing this show and wanted to know if any of these guys with specific skills want to be involved. Be had better see Jose and Nicole this week!

Hmmm, wonder how well those recruited do as compared to those who try out and make the cut? I have a work acquaintance who recognized someone when season 1 started. He was convinced this guy would win hands down. Supposedly, dude is a survivalist blogger and has authored a couple survivalist/post-apocalypse type books under the name of Angery American. Wonder if he might have been recruited? You might remember him as Chris, the guy who said he always had a gun close by and tapped out on day 2.

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, holly4755 said:

the blades Forum knew angry American and posted his blog address, he was Chris what ever from last year and tapped out early. . 

Wonder if there was some confusion about being a 'doomsday prepper' and a survivalist.

IIRC, a season one participant explained how he carried a gun when he went into the backyard, it may have been in Florida.  Must have been a rough neighborhood.

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, SRTouch said:

Hmmm, wonder how well those recruited do as compared to those who try out and make the cut? I have a work acquaintance who recognized someone when season 1 started. He was convinced this guy would win hands down. Supposedly, dude is a survivalist blogger and has authored a couple survivalist/post-apocalypse type books under the name of Angery American. Wonder if he might have been recruited? You might remember him as Chris, the guy who said he always had a gun close by and tapped out on day 2.

Yeah, I remember him. The one who couldn't be more than an arms length from a weapon at any time. ( I really disliked him). I definitely think that they put out the search in the survivalist communities and affiliated organizations. Mitch talked about that in an article somewhere.  I don't think that they were purposely trying to pick people who would tap early either. I think that had a minimum skill set that they expected, hence what we saw on the previews with the skill tests. I think that they really want to have a decent group and not manipulate anything and see what happens. Therein lies the drama, no need to manipulate.  But, as we have seen, being able to make a fire and pitch a rudimentary structure in a safe environment is totally different from being there "alone". Which is what makes this experience pretty interesting. Last year, they didn't tell us too much, so there was a lot of spec on the forum regarding the "well-checks" and what they specifically could bring with them. They have been a little more upfront this time around. As I was typing this, I just saw a commercial for the show and Good Ole' Larry is pitching another fit about something. Wow, I never would have pegged him as a crazed hot head based on his previews. I think he punches his water pot while it is on the fire, boiling. 

5 minutes ago, Liberty said:

Wonder if there was some confusion about being a 'doomsday prepper' and a survivalist.

IIRC, a season one participant explained how he carried a gun when he went into the backyard, it may have been in Florida.  Must have been a rough neighborhood.

I think he had more of a farm type of thing, but he may lean more towards being a prepper and not a survivalist like some of the other guys. I can't remember, is Alan an outdoorsman and does he teach this stuff (like Mitch), or did he have a regular job? Personally, I would expect more from the guys/gals who teach this stuff and make a living off of these skills and knowledge as opposed to some people who do it as a hobby.  I would imagine that it would be really bad for business if you do really poorly. That might be playing into Randy's mindset as well. 

• Love 3

Yeah Chris  was the one deathly afraid of wolves which is why he tapped.  

Everytime I hear about another one of Larry's assaults against nature I laugh uncontrollably.  He's hilarious.  Geez with all that back-yard training?? 

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

If I remember correctly, Larry did a lot of survival training in his BACK YARD! Apparently, no one ever told him that Vancouver Island isn't exactly surburbia.

lol  well at least Larry might have hung a fishing pole over the family pool for practice  which is more than I can say for Randy!

• Love 5
Just now, seasick said:

lol  well at least Larry might have hung a fishing pole over the family pool for practice  which is more than I can say for Randy!

Or trot line in the koi pond?

• Love 5

I'd probably spend my Alone time trying to befriend a raccoon.  My backyard raccoons are friendly and excellent fishermen - last time I stocked my almost empty swimming pool swamp with 5 mosquito fish, they swiftly reproduced into the hundreds (I actually had to feed them), until a new batch of raccoon babies grew big enough to receive fishing lessons from Mama.  So much for the fishies ...  :-(

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

Mike should have brought a tennis raquet as one of his 10 things.  Think of all the uses:  swatting bugs, fishing, using the very strong strings for building or securing other items, playing tennis.....

You forgot faux banjo playing!!!

• Love 2
35 minutes ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

Mike should have brought a tennis raquet as one of his 10 things.  Think of all the uses:  swatting bugs, fishing, using the very strong strings for building or securing other items, playing tennis.....

You mean the one he didn't get for Christmas?  

• Love 7
36 minutes ago, riverheightsnancy said:

Seriously, Seasick, you are on fire!  haha

LOL.  No it's you guys!!  You encourage this sort of thing!  and you're all so funny..  I really enjoy this forum.

• Love 5

Yes, I think that was really a case where she was trying to be informative for the camera and lost focus of what she was doing.

I can't remember, is Alan an outdoorsman and does he teach this stuff (like Mitch), or did he have a regular job?

Alan was a corrections officer in a prison.  I think he did some teaching on the side.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

I forgot the best  use of the tennis racquet - Casar Milan's deterrent to aggressive wolfdogs, and the requisite Chht sound!

• Love 4
18 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

The new season of Life Below Zero started weeks ago; this Thursday is already episode 5.  FWIW, Sue's recent accident was on a snowmobile.  She's certainly had her share of surgeries since the show started.

I've been spoiled by watching shows like Survivorman, Life Below Zero, The Last Alaskans, Port Protection, Edge of Alaska, Yukon Men, etc. that I have higher expectations for contestants in general.  Maybe some of those folks could build a log cabin and find more food.  I'd love to see a First Nations or Inuit contestant, too.

You are absolutely correct. I have not been paying attention. I watch on the net so it's easy to catch up. And, yes, it was a snow machine. Just had 4 wheeler on the brain.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Ina123 said:

You are absolutely correct. I have not been paying attention. I watch on the net so it's easy to catch up. And, yes, it was a snow machine. Just had 4 wheeler on the brain.

If not for my trusty old DVR, I'd miss ALL my shows!

Like injuries, Sue has a lot of equipment to keep track of - she's probably had a 4 wheeler incident, too!  :-)

22 hours ago, Liberty said:

Probably to shoot alligators if they came into the yard. I know I would.

• Love 1

Oh, Larry! I think I enjoy his antics, competent or not, because of the swearing. God knows I'd be thrashing my way down a cliff and scalding the earth with my language, too--cursing myself and whoever else might be responsible for getting me into this hellscape. If Larry does in fact punch his boiling dinner right out of the pot I will hurt myself laughing. 

Mike seems to have genuine skills, and his childhood sounds wretched. But I find myself...pulled out of the show, I guess?...by his refrences to his faith and sort of reflexive praise-giving. I am a godless pinko atheist heathen, so maybe it just grates on me more...but the show's not Alone Except For Jesus

Considering Tracy's tidy campsite and roaring fire on night 1, I hope that the next time we see her she's got a full cabin constructed. 

• Love 9
3 hours ago, pagooey said:

Oh, Larry! I think I enjoy his antics, competent or not, because of the swearing. God knows I'd be thrashing my way down a cliff and scalding the earth with my language, too--cursing myself and whoever else might be responsible for getting me into this hellscape. If Larry does in fact punch his boiling dinner right out of the pot I will hurt myself laughing. 

Mike seems to have genuine skills, and his childhood sounds wretched. But I find myself...pulled out of the show, I guess?...by his refrences to his faith and sort of reflexive praise-giving. I am a godless pinko atheist heathen, so maybe it just grates on me more...but the show's not Alone Except For Jesus

Considering Tracy's tidy campsite and roaring fire on night 1, I hope that the next time we see her she's got a full cabin constructed. 

I thought I heard Larry invoking God and Jesus too.  well, maybe it was the way he said it...  All references to nature-loving Larry have me giggling like an idiot now.   I'm hoping for at least a drop-kick of some piece of gear. 

My experience so far with vocal Jesus praisers is that they either were in prison, or belong in prison.  And given some hints at Mike's background this is a possibility.   He kind of creeped me a out little from the start and this doesn't help.  I'm always open to exceptions to my experience.  It's not a bias against religion.  

I don't know why I didn't consider Tracy to fulfill my cabin dream, but she could be the one to do it.   

• Love 3

I suppose that we could take bets for the next episode as to what part of nature Larry gets offends by and to who or what he offends. WWLD? (what would Larry do). We could apply the Larry logic to all aspects of life. Water deigns to not boil fast enough, knock it over. Trees grow branches, karate chop them and swear at them. Rail at nature for just being. It reminds me of the dad in A Christmas Story movie that create a cloud of obscenity when he battled the furnace that still hangs over Cleveland or something like that. lol

• Love 3