Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E17: Mans Telepathic Loyal Lookouts

Trini
  • Start Topic

After Patterson discovers a hidden message in the New York Times crossword, she embarks on a tattoo scavenger hunt that leads her into danger. Oscar (guest star Francois Arnaud) finally tells Jane more about who she was, and Weller seeks his Dad's opinion about who kidnapped Taylor Shaw.

I don't know why it didn't occur to me until now that Zapata's new "buddy" is Aaron Abrams a.k.a. Zeller from Hannibal.  That alone almost makes me want to make him my new favorite character.  And also want to see Price show up too.  Or, really, just have the entire Hannibal cast show up.

Not sure if it is a good or thing or a bad thing, but I actually kind of enjoyed the adventures of Patterson and Ghost Daniel.  At least Ghost Daniel is funny, and more lively then the majority of the FBI.  Patterson made some questionable decisions by going at it alone, but at least she seems to be slowly moving forward now.  Also, when did they shoot this episode?  Because if it really was in the winter and snowing, props to Ashley Johnson for running around barefooted like that.  I'm sure they had heaters and shoes near by, but that still couldn't be fun.

Of course, Reade end up breaking up with Kurt's sister for nothing, since they are still threatening to kill her if Mayfair doesn't stop investigating.  At least Reade decided enough is enough, and told Mayfair.  Speaking of Mayfair, I wonder where they are going with this new love interest.  Can't see being simply her getting a girlfriend.

Obviously Kurt's dad suddenly collapses, after everything seems to be going good for him.  He even invited his friend with benefits to family dinner!

Tree Tattoo Guy is now just giving pictures of Jane when she was young, so she can start pretending she is getting more memories back.  Whatever works, I guess.

• Love 2

So Reade finally confesses that he's being threatened. And what does Mayfair do? She immediately assigns him a protective detail and helps him out. This is after he erased the crucial file (which Mayfair had a hard copy of anyhow!) and after he ruined a lot of relationships by lying about what was going on. And none of that was necessary! Once the boss knows what's going on she helps with the quickness. Artificial tension is artificial.

I liked Patterson's solo stint, especially how she mostly didn't need help escaping from the bad guys.

Jane's handler: That hot sweaty sex we had sure was a mistake.

Jane: ...I like mistakes.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

So I wonder what was going to be Shadowy Organization's "in" at the FBI if Weller didn't happen to be obsessed with Jane, who happened to be part of Shadowy Organization.

I liked this change of format that focused on Patterson. Wouldn't mind seeing Head!David again, but that was probably it.

Were we supposed to recognize the guy that's Zapata's "partner"? Has he been on the show before?? (Not that I especially care about where they're going with that.)

Anything Weller this episode: Zzzzzzz...

With Jane and Tree Tatt getting closer, I really hope they don't kill him off. Not before we get a bunch of answers. I hope those photos trigger some of Taylor's real memories.

• Love 2

Weller, you need to go back to Quantico and ask the NATS for remedial instruction on arrest techniques.  Dummy approaches an obviously dangerous suspect from the front and allows him to first get a grip and hand Weller's ass to him for a few minutes.  I guess they needed the Senator alive so that they could claim justice with the charges.  Like that Pharma Co. is actually going down, instead of paying a large fine.

• Like 1

"Yeah, so the tattoos, which always lead to shady situations, led me here, which I'll just tell you why I'm here. That's not a bad idea, right?"

I expected the moral of the story would be something like her love for and guilt over David were causing her to be reckless and make the same mistakes he did, and thus, that she needed to deal with her feelings and find some measure of resolution. I didn't like that she was made to be SO clueless in order to reach that point, but the writing of that final scene was nicely done -- dare I say, deft.  Whodathunk Blindspot could manage such a feat!

That said, I am approaching my Patterson tolerance level.  She's of a particular character type that I've watched sci-fi teevee writers fall in love with and progressively over-use. I'm seeing the same creeping expansion of knowledge, skill, and screentime that I've seen several times before.  Salt should be used sparingly, Martin Gero!

Things I liked: 1) Zapata knowing about Alderaan, er, Aldebaran; it was a nice, unexpected character note.  2) Reade coming clean with Mayfair.

I hope Mayfair recognises the obvious honeypot.

Jane and Weller have more chemistry with BLID and The Marshall than with one another.  Oops!

• Like 1
  • Love 4

Once again another episode where I care more about the dead guy, love David, than the other characters, with the exception of Patterson. I think she did an excellent job showing her grieving and all she was feeling in this episode.

• Love 4

Blindspot channels Criminal Minds & NCIS & Gibbs ghosts.

Probably still giving Alexander a lighter load with this probably being filmed after the toxic tattoo revelations. It was relatively light on action or the scenes seemed simpler.

Did Mayfair have a hard copy or was the file never delated and this is why Reade told Mayfair about the threats.

Someone coming back from the dead next week?

I am approaching my Patterson tolerance level.  She's of a particular character type that I've watched sci-fi teevee writers fall in love with and progressively over-use.

I'm right there with you. *cough*Felicity*cough*

Patterson hanging out with her dead boyfriend was creepy and slightly psychotic.

I enjoyed this episode.  I liked seeing how resourceful Patterson was and I liked seeing how she grew to accept that David was gone and to let him go.  The treasure hunt he devised a month ago was interesting and convoluted as is norm for the tattoo puzzles.

Patterson saying "I don't want you to go" and Ghost David saying "I know, but I'm already gone"... very much like Felicity Smoak to Oliver Queen in "Arrow".

I'm not sure what's going on with Zapata and the Assistant U.S. Attorney, or with Reade and the mysterious voice.  In that respect, this show is just like "Quantico".  I have no idea what is going on and I don't particularly care.

I was surprised when we saw the phone number of Mayfair's new girlfriend pop up on her phone, and it was NOT a 555 number.  Did anyone try calling it like I did?  The number is 818 478-5090.  818 is a Los Angeles area code, so I was thinking we'd have some kind of phone message scavenger hunt set up by the producers of the show.  But when I called, all I got was an automated voice that says "I'm sorry, this number is not programmed to take messages".  I wonder if the first person that called while the show was airing reached someone and won something.  It'd be cool if it was a set visit or walk on extra role.

• Love 2

Weller, you need to go back to Quantico and ask the NATS for remedial instruction on arrest techniques.  Dummy approaches an obviously dangerous suspect from the front and allows him to first get a grip and hand Weller's ass to him for a few minutes.  I guess they needed the Senator alive so that they could claim justice with the charges.  Like that Pharma Co. is actually going down, instead of paying a large fine.

He would fit into the show Quantico.

As for Patterson and her dead ghost bf adventure, at least it was more entertaining than the rest of the show.

I might be in the minority but this was the first episode of this show I truly hated and started to ponder dropping it. Patterson was not given an idiot ball - she was juggling like a dozen of those. I know intelligent people can behave like idiots but I wanted to slap her throughout the whole episode. She nearly got killed on the fire-stairs yet because she's suddenly action-girl with amazing upper body strength she survives (maybe Stapleton and his magic physical skills are rubbing off on her). But does she realize after that massive scare that she's in over her head (not just because she talks to a dead guy)? No, she happily chucks on - solves the riddle and then instead of handing over the result to the field agents decides to pursue the lead on her own. Because that went so well for ghost David!

Mayfair did some eye-rolling when she realized what Patterson was up to yet at the end of the day her only comment is 'good work'. Gah! Patterson should have faced  suspension and be sent to therapy. Seriously what exactly is Mr Therapist doing all day? Silently crying in his office? Also put an tend to Patterson's secure log-in so next time she decides to play super lab-girl you won't have to go on a wild goose chase to save her sorry ass.

I know this was supposed to be sweet and poignant but to me it was just annoying as hell. And I am now missing Ghost David as much as I miss Ghost Denny on GA.

Mayfair shrugs off Patterson's idiocy and Reade's deleting of evidence and puts a detail on Stapleton's sister and Reade that Stapleton sure as hell won't notice sooner or later. Oh and she gets a new lover - watch out Mayfair, tv shows have not been particularly kind to lesbians and POC over the last couple of weeks!

Thank God they have Zapata who was definitely the episode's MVP and saving grace by the sheer fact that she acted like a person with a functioning brain: I liked her snarking about the power-point presentation and of course her love for stars (and being unpopular in high-school!)  ultimately saved the day (and Patterson).

Edited by MissLucas
  • Like 1
  • Love 5

Did Mayfair have a hard copy or was the file never delated and this is why Reade told Mayfair about the threats.

I figured Reade never deleted it.  

I'm so sick of characters trying to 'drive' their significant other away to protect them. I'm pretty sure if Reade actually told Sarah what was going on (how he's in a dangerous investigation and they need to be apart for awhile), she would have been MORE than happy to stay away until things cooled down. Reade is hot and all, but she has a son! I guess too easy. 

I call bullshit that Zapata would so easily believe that Mayfair is corrupt. Even more so that she would believe Boy Scout Reade could get pulled into anything corrupt. 

Seriously-- how much closer does Jane need to get to Weller??! He's practically one of her tattoos! Weller passed beyond blind loyalty a couple stops ago. It makes me worry what they need him for. 

• Love 2
I hope Mayfair recognises the obvious honeypot

I don't think it could have been a bigger anvil.  Guy argues with girl in bar, trying to get her to stay, mentions $1200 champagne.  Mayfair breaks up argument.  Guy leaves (???).  Girl, who didn't want any champagne earlier, offers to split the rest of the bottle with Mayfair.  They swap phone numbers.  Could it be any more obvious?  Maybe Mayfair needs to catch a ride with Weller on the way to Quantico.

• Love 3

Oh yeah, that was crazy that Waller let the senator get the drop on him.

I thought they said he was ex military?

Welcome back Contrivance Fairy. Leaving a random nail on the very same pole Patterson was tied to at a height Patterson could get to was genius. Granting her MacGyver skills was good. The absolute best was giving her invisible slippers so her feet did not get cut, frostbite or injured in any way while running away from 2 armed and dangerous men, one of them being ex military.

Hypothermia and frostbite is real and deadly. There's no way Patterson would have survived that long out in the cold without shoes, a coat, gloves, and a hat. More ridiculous was she was injured from cutting out of the ropes and her scuffle with Owen/Mark, but able to elude them in the forest that is well known to them.

Thank God they have Zapata who was definitely the episode's MVP and saving grace by the sheer fact that she acted like a person with a functioning brain: I liked her snarking about the power-point presentation and of course her love for stars (and being unpopular in high-school!)  ultimately saved the day (and Patterson).

I loved Weller automatically going to Tasha to pick the lock. I believe the whole team including Patterson share one brain. This week was Tasha's turn to carry the brain.

He would fit into the show Quantico.

Imagine if Jane was on NZT? They should do a cross over with "Limitless" and "Quantico". Have them all participate in a nonsensical training exercise. The winners get a month supply of NZT and immunity shots.

Not sure if it is a good or thing or a bad thing, but I actually kind of enjoyed the adventures of Patterson and Ghost Daniel.  At least Ghost Daniel is funny, and more lively then the majority of the FBI.  Patterson made some questionable decisions by going at it alone, but at least she seems to be slowly moving forward now.  Also, when did they shoot this episode?  Because if it really was in the winter and snowing, props to Ashley Johnson for running around barefooted like that.  I'm sure they had heaters and shoes near by, but that still couldn't be fun.

I also enjoyed this episode very much and hope we get more Patterson-centric episodes in the future.  She's the most likable and interesting character to me, and it's too bad that her boyfriend was killed off because they really worked well together.  The writers could have done more with their dynamic, but I guess his death was necessary to move the plot along.

• Love 1
I don't know why it didn't occur to me until now that Zapata's new "buddy" is Aaron Abrams a.k.a. Zeller from Hannibal.

Thanks for the tip, I didn't recognize him. I guess Hannibal is gone from my memory after that sucky last season. RIP TV Boyfriend Will.

Jane's handler: That hot sweaty sex we had sure was a mistake.

Jane: ...I like mistakes.

Saber: "I like mistakes too."

Dead BF made this episode more fun, even if everything that happened was stupid beyond belief. But anything that keeps me from more Weller is okay with me. Dead BF being Jeff Goldblum's doppelganger kind of ruined it for me though.

Edited by saber5055

This episode had a million plotholes as usual, but I didn't care because I love Patterson so much. Attention writers: Patterson dies, I riot. Well, I won't riot but I will cancel my season pass immediately. I actually do like the rest of the crew (minus Weller, but even he was kinda cute and personable when in bed with his girlfriend, it would be nice to see that trend continue), but without Patterson, not enough to bother. I'm not big on procedurals.

So I'm guessing Mayfair's new girlfriend will turn out to have deliberately been targeting her, the loud argument with the douchey guy all a set-up to get Mayfair's notice. But her presumed-dead girlfriend should show up at some point since her body was never found. So either way Mayfair is probably set - one girlfriend will turn out to be evil, but both? Unlikely.

• Love 1

Forgot to add-- towards the end, did Patterson admit to a having a (subconscious) crush on the therapist guy?? I couldn't quite hear a bit of the dialog. I could probably get on board with that! 

Forgot to add-- towards the end, did Patterson admit to a having a (subconscious) crush on the therapist guy?? I couldn't quite hear a bit of the dialog. I could probably get on board with that!

I'm so un-engrossed by this show that I wasn't sure of the therapist's name. And now I forget what name David said, too. But yeah, I assumed he probably meant the therapist gut simply because I couldn't think of any other guys Patterson interacted with besides Weller and Reade. 

And now looking at the episode descriptions in the spoiler thread, yes, looks like Patterson and Borden (apparently that's his name) might be a thing. Which is OK, I guess. He's cute and I like his accent and it would be nice to see more of him.

Edited by dargosmydaddy

I linked the article in the media thread, but apparently the crossword puzzle with "got one Patterson" was a real crossword that was in April 4th's NY Times.

Seriously what exactly is Mr Therapist doing all day? Silently crying in his office? Also put an tend to Patterson's secure log-in so next time she decides to play super lab-girl you won't have to go on a wild goose chase to save her sorry ass.

I know this was supposed to be sweet and poignant but to me it was just annoying as hell. And I am now missing Ghost David as much as I miss Ghost Denny on GA.

Well, the last time Patterson got advice from him she asked him if she owed him money. So apparently he's always on call but at a price your average tech gal can't often afford. Jane must be getting special coverage from the witness slush fund.

Seriously-- how much closer does Jane need to get to Weller??! He's practically one of her tattoos! Weller passed beyond blind loyalty a couple stops ago. It makes me worry what they need him for. 

He is one of her tattoos - the giant one in the middle of her back. But if you mean how closely he sticks to her in general, he has been distant from her ever since she lured him with the promise of a late-night booty call and then never showed up. Since then he's been reconciling with his dad, breaking up his sister's relationship and dating a US Marshal who seems to be dating someone else at the same time. I would love it if all the intricacies of this plot are simply because Weller is an insufferable douchebag around the office if he isn't constantly kept distracted and it takes nothing less than an international conspiracy to do that.

• Love 2
I linked the article in the media thread, but apparently the crossword puzzle with "got one Patterson" was a real crossword that was in April 4th's NY Times.

Well, nuts. I do the Sunday NY Times puzzle so I have April 3 but not April 4. So, bummer that I can't fill those three columns in gratis.

The NYT crossword editor, Will Shortz, has been known to work with people on creating special requests within the crossword.  I read of one time where he managed to work in a marriage proposal from one fan to another.  I assume the result was positive as "piss off" would really be difficult to use as an answer.

• Love 1

I like Patterson - regardless of how completely unrealistic her entire storyline was. I also liked Ghost David a lot more than the rest of the Team.

Mayfair walking into a honeypot is interesting; I really like the actress and hope that she doesn't end up taking a fall.

I watch this show with one eye on the tv and one eye on my phone reading Twitter. I still can't deal with how Weller speaks.

After Patterson discovers a hidden message in the New York Times crossword, she embarks on a tattoo scavenger hunt that leads her into danger. Oscar (guest star Francois Arnaud) finally tells Jane more about who she was, and Weller seeks his Dad's opinion about who kidnapped Taylor Shaw.

Did anyone see a scene where the bit in bold happened? I didn't.

Loved the episode, because Patterson is easily my favourite character (and her and her dead boyfriend were the only couple I was interested in). I didn't mind her initially going after the clues (it was kinda touching that she wanted "one last treasure hunt") but once it involved her dangling from the fire escape, you'd think she'd go, "OK, that was a little too dangerous - I'll bring the squad in" - it's not like they wouldn't keep involving her in the whole thing. And lastly, that was CLEARLY a pig from Carcassone - you don't turn them into pork chops (well, not in game, anyway) you use them to claim fields for points!

Again we have some governmental corruption that Jane's tattoos have revealed. Though Mayfair's describing the Senator voting on a bad Pharmaceutical Bill was purely because he was being blackmailed and not (say) because the pharmaceutical companies threw money around to get a bill that favours them passed. It's nice to know that if only the bad guys were removed, only good legislation would get enacted!

Trini  So I wonder what was going to be Shadowy Organization's "in" at the FBI if Weller didn't happen to be obsessed with Jane

I'm starting to wonder if it isn't going to turn out that EVERYONE is in the conspiracy - they just don't know everyone else is!