Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

Based on the fog stories I'm reading, I'm wondering which adults were in charge of electing to fly under such risky conditions with children on board.   I can't even fathom getting onto a helicopter with children, when it's so foggy, it's not legal to fly and then asking for special permission to fly anyway in dangerous conditions.  Boggles the mind. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/lisettevoytko/2020/01/27/report-kobe-bryants-helicopter-was-given-special-approval-to-fly-through-fog/#24273c3b13e2

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

They were actually talking about the crash on the Weather Channel (seriously), and they were discussing the fog aspect, too. It's amazing how many stories there are out there of plane/helicopter crashes that involved them flying in less than ideal conditions. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Annber03 said:

They were actually talking about the crash on the Weather Channel (seriously), and they were discussing the fog aspect, too. It's amazing how many stories there are out there of plane/helicopter crashes that involved them flying in less than ideal conditions. 

I think the article I posted says that it's not uncommon to get special permission to fly in non-ideal conditions, but, it was dangerous enough that Kobe and his wife had an agreement to not both fly in helicopter at same time. 

https://people.com/sports/kobe-bryant-wife-vanessa-had-deal-never-fly-helicopter-together/

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Annber03 said:

Isn't that how JFK Jr died? 

• Love 5

A few minutes ago I got a notification on my iPhone saying tomorrow night’s Lakers/Clippers (both LA teams) game was postponed by the NBA due to Kobe’s (& the others involved, of course, though they were again the forgotten in this tragedy) death yesterday & its impact on the Lakers organization.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add a comment.
  • Useful 3
1 hour ago, BW Manilowe said:

A few minutes ago I got a notification on my iPhone saying tomorrow night’s Lakers/Clippers (both LA teams) game was postponed by the NBA due to Kobe’s (& the others involved, of course, though they were again the forgotten in this tragedy) death yesterday & its impact on the Lakers organization.

Here is the statement.

image.thumb.jpeg.8701d97262954a9833afc6e43ecf6eaa.jpeg

• Useful 1
On 1/26/2020 at 4:55 PM, UYI said:

This is more or less where I am, too. It has always BAFFLED me how much this case got overlooked/forgotten after 2003, but I feel terrible for his family and friends, and especially his daughter. 

3 hours ago, magicdog said:

Neither did the NBC Nightly News (it was a quick blurb but it was there).

In another article (Buzzfeed - here) it says the pilot was instrument rated and able to fly in the fog and clouds. I wonder if conditions deteriorated rapidly once they got to Calabassas.

How terrifying those final moments must have been for all on board.

• Love 4
38 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

Neither did the NBC Nightly News (it was a quick blurb but it was there).

In another article (Buzzfeed - here) it says the pilot was instrument rated and able to fly in the fog and clouds. I wonder if conditions deteriorated rapidly once they got to Calabassas.

How terrifying those final moments must have been for all on board.

TuneIn Radio has tributes to Kobe that are happening right now.

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

TuneIn Radio has tributes to Kobe that are happening right now.

Thanks but that's not something I'm interested in. Kobe was an admitted sexual assaulter and all this "St. Kobe" gushing the media is spewing is revolting. I'm so glad the LA Time and NBC Nightly News reminded people he settled with the woman he assaulted.

• Love 13
2 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

Thanks but that's not something I'm interested in. Kobe was an admitted sexual assaulter and all this "St. Kobe" gushing the media is spewing is revolting. I'm so glad the LA Time and NBC Nightly News reminded people he settled with the woman he assaulted.

Washington Post has actually suspended a reporter because she talked about the rape charges yesterday, too soon for their taste:

The Washington Post has placed on administrative leave a reporter who tweeted a link to a news story about rape allegations against the late basketball star Kobe Bryant after his death on Sunday, saying “her tweets displayed poor judgment that undermined the work of her colleagues.”

The tweet by political reporter Felicia Sonmez sparked a furious backlash on social media, with many deeming it inappropriate just hours after Bryant and his daughter, Gianna, were killed in a helicopter crash outside of Los Angeles. In the wake of her posting, Sonmez said she received death and rape threats and her home address was posted online, compelling her to stay at a hotel overnight.

Some effing world we live in.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
58 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

So she displayed "poor judgment" for....bringing up the truth? Okay, then. 

And death and rape threats. Keep it classy, people. 

This just makes me want to watch the trailer for Promising Young Woman again...

• Love 4
40 minutes ago, stonehaven said:

This is a huge loss for those of us that love 60's folk music...

As a Boomer, it strikes me, in a not very pleasant way, how much music I listen to every day is performed by people who are now dead.

• Love 8
6 hours ago, meowmommy said:

As a Boomer, it strikes me, in a not very pleasant way, how much music I listen to every day is performed by people who are now dead.

That’s a shame to hear about his passing, because it also happened when Kobe Bryant died as well.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Hiyo said:

Nicholas Parsons, English actor, radio and television presenter, dies aged 96.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2020/jan/28/nicholas-parsons-host-of-just-a-minute-dies-aged-96

I was going to post that as well, but you beat me to it.

51 minutes ago, Llywela said:

Beat me to it. I went to a taping of Just a Minute once, they recorded three episodes in one afternoon, and it was wonderful fun to watch.

Same.

Edited by MikaelaArsenault
  • Love 1
26 minutes ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

It's hard to know what would have been  less thankless for the now-deceased Mr. Burns: having to follow Don Knotts's act while playing a deputy no one in town liked on TAGS or having Miss Carlin opt to carry on her father's tradition of tagging him with  a certain 12-letter, four-letter word  instead of attempting to muster some class when supposedly paying tribute to the late Mr. Carlin's onetime comedic partner. I never even met Mr. Burns but I think he deserved a better sendoff than that so, RIP Mr. Burns. 

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, Blergh said:

It's hard to know what would have been  less thankless for the now-deceased Mr. Burns: having to follow Don Knotts's act while playing a deputy no one in town liked on TAGS or having Miss Carlin opt to carry on her father's tradition of tagging him with  a certain 12-letter, four-letter word  instead of attempting to muster some class when supposedly paying tribute to the late Mr. Carlin's onetime comedic partner. I never even met Mr. Burns but I think he deserved a better sendoff than that so, RIP Mr. Burns. 

Here is a tweet from Kelly Carlin.

https://mobile.twitter.com/kelly_carlin/status/1222012838945816576

• Love 1
1 hour ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

He died on January 26, the same day as Kobe Bryant, John Altobelli, and Bob Shane.

As I tell my daughter, who's always trying to find coincidences in everything, there are only 365 days in a year (366 this year).  There's gonna be some overlap.

Saw a statistic that said worldwide, 108 people die every minute.

• Useful 6
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

Wow, it took me a minute or two to realize that was Michael Richards in the skit because he wasn't acting like a maniac.

I have to say that Jack Burns' character of Warren on TAGS was one of the most fingernails-on-chalkboard characters ever created.  

• Love 5
1 hour ago, meowmommy said:

As I tell my daughter, who's always trying to find coincidences in everything, there are only 365 days in a year (366 this year).  There's gonna be some overlap.

Saw a statistic that said worldwide, 108 people die every minute.

The only coincidence I've come up with is something really tragic seems to occur right before the Grammys sometimes no matter what date they are on.

• Love 7
20 hours ago, meowmommy said:

I'm a generation behind you and same. I also realize I don't know who most of the people announced in this thread are. Part of me wonders what amazing art I am missing out on. The other part doesn't want to be bummed I wanted until they died to discover it.

• Love 10
On 1/28/2020 at 4:20 PM, Angeltoes said:

Wow, it took me a minute or two to realize that was Michael Richards in the skit because he wasn't acting like a maniac.

I have to say that Jack Burns' character of Warren on TAGS was one of the most fingernails-on-chalkboard characters ever created.  

Though the late Mr. Griffith had plenty of faults, at least he   admitted that he and his writers BLEW it re the character of Warren a few years before he died. Warren was written to have multiples of Barney Fife's obnoxious characteristics with none of the latter's charm. Most fatally, Warren had Sheriff Andy loathing him from Day One instead of having even remotely close to the warm bond Ange and Barney had had despite Barney constantly testing Sheriff Andy's patience! Of course, it needs to be noted that Mr. Griffith and Mr. Knotts wound up being  best friends offcamera the remainder of their lives but it wasn't long before Warren was fired from Mayberry  (which I can't help  believe must have relieved Mr. Burns though it had to have hurt his income at the time). 

In any case, Mr. Burns seems to have had a rather lengthy and varied entertainment career so he didn't let Warren set him back for too long! RIP, Mr. Burns.

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

I'm sorry to hear this. Some years ago, I was looking for some information on her, and found her web site (www.marjdusay.com). If you go there, you can hear some sound clips of her in what is arguably one of the worst Star Trek episodes, "Spock's Brain".  (on this page: http://www.marjdusay.com/soundvideo.html )

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

Marj Dusay, actress:

Aw, Alexandra Spaulding (Guiding Light).  Beverlee McKinsey was an incredibly tough act to follow, and I indeed liked her Alex better, but I enjoyed Dusay's performance of the role as well (at least what I saw; I quit watching GL several years into her run). 

• Love 11
26 minutes ago, MaryMitch said:

I'm sorry to hear this. Some years ago, I was looking for some information on her, and found her web site (www.marjdusay.com). If you go there, you can hear some sound clips of her in what is arguably one of the worst Star Trek episodes, "Spock's Brain".  (on this page: http://www.marjdusay.com/soundvideo.html )

23 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Aw, Alexandra Spaulding (Guiding Light).  Beverlee McKinsey was an incredibly tough act to follow, and I indeed liked her Alex better, but I enjoyed Dusay's performance of the role as well (at least what I saw; I quit watching GL several years into her run). 

Nooo! I remember her as Blair Warner's mother, Monica Warner on Facts of Life! Marj seemed to be the one to go to when recasting! She played the recast Monica, and Alexandra Spaulding, of course. And then she played Pamela Capwell on Santa Barbara. Of course, I don't think the show ever explained how Pamela lost her British accent since the actress Marj replaced was a Brit!

She was such a wonderful and versatile actress.

• Love 9