Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: Monster - Pre-Air Speculation and Live-Chat

• Start Topic

Here is your Pre-Air Speculation and Live Chat thread for S02.E01: Monster your commenting enjoyment!

This thread will close at 10:00 pm, after which you can head on over to the episode thread S02.E01: Monster

DO NOT post any Walking Dead spoilers in here. For any Walking Dead discussion, go HERE.

Enjoy the episode, have fun commenting and as always, please be respectful and civil to your fellow commenters!

I really hope this show has an epic sophomore season. I dig the premise and think that if the writers and showrunners heard critics last year they could have a hit. So, let's hope Cobalt is explored more in depth and that being on the water adds some frightening aspects to the ZA.

• Love 5
(edited)

I hope it's better than last season. I want to like it and have it be a nice change from the East Coast Piney Woods. Most of all I'd like to see Strand become a main character. He is interesting to me. His two  first season episodes were the ones I rewatched.

Edited by Giselle
  • Love 2

As long as they don't use red corn syrup dripping over a camera lens as a substitute for dramatic resolution I'm already inclined to give the season two thumbs up.....

• Love 12

Dropping in to ask how many folks from S1 are coming back for S2. I personally am not, because it's turned out to just be more of the same. We got all these stories on the mother ship, we don't need to see them again. I thought we were going to get something different but the only difference is the same stories are happening on water instead of land. A character I found compelling in S1 might have brought me back, but alas there were none.

I'll be tuned in, against my better judgment! 

In the interest of full disclosure, I did not like Season 1 at all.  I was bored silly.  Thankfully and mercifully, it was a short season so I didn't suffer for very long.   I live in Los Angeles and was really looking forward to seeing how my city was represented in the ZA.  I thought there was a lot of potential that was wasted.

I have no problem with the premise of the series -- it was really just the actors/characters I could not stand.  I disliked every single one of them except Strand.  He was the only one who was even remotely interesting.  I really would not have had a problem with the show being entirely recast, like in the event of the existing cast getting killed off or something. 

But... The Walking Dead is off the air for another 6 months.  American Horror Story won't return for about 6 more months.  The Affair probably won't be back until September or October.  American Idol just ended after 15 seasons.  Better Call Saul only has 2 more episodes to go before Season 2 ends, and Season 3 probably won't start until February 2017.  Big Brother doesn't start for another 2-1/2 months.  And my 2-month bonanza of Hallmark Channel Christmas movies won't start until late October or early November.

For the love of God, I have to watch something!  I need a TV show to follow!  So, Season 2 of FTWD and another round of Talking Dead it shall be!

• Love 4

I plan to hate watch it, but I promise to try to keep the snarkiness down for those who do genuinely enjoy the show.  

I think, like so many, I was disappointed because 1. This was not the show we were promised and 2.  The characters were just so unlikable, I was rooting for the zombies.  

If it turns out to actually be good, I promise to say nice things.  

• Love 6

I'm in, because The Good Wife now blows so bad that anything is better and I need something on Sunday. This show got me into TWD proper, so it did have a net + effect for me. Although, NOW that I am into TWD, I have become way more critical of this show. The biggest issue, that I am already expecting (based on the commercials) is the lack of zombie makeup on the walkers. What is up with that? 

• Love 1

I'm in. I like boats.

Also dig Strand and whatsherface, the main lady. I like her style. She is one cool customer.

Druggie son can be eaten by humboldt squids anytime though, thanks.

I'm sick to death of TWD mothership and its inanities (thanks Gimple, you vapid pustule) so FTWD seems, bizarrely enough, like a refreshing blast of cool Pacific air.

Let the zed games begin!!

• Love 1

I wasn't impressed by season 1, to put it mildly. Aside from the high school kid Travis and the Army guy Moyer I found the characters unconvincing and acting in ways I couldn't relate to. I wasn't impressed by some of the actors either. The story I wanted to see never appeared on screen. I have no idea how Los Angeles came to accept that the dead were attacking them or how civil authority was undermined or how an enormous metropolitan area was evacuated. I wanted to watch as society collapsed, instead it mainly happened offscreen. Which is what I got from the mother ship.

However I still planned on watching because of my loyalty to The Walking Dead. I may be a teeny bit unimpressed by Negan and the cliffhanger but the show has earned my good faith. Scrolling through my onscreen guide though I noticed a speciality channel offering the premiere of the From Dusk Till Dawn series. This series wasn't available to me and I wanted to see it because I loved the movie. It debuts at 9pm so I downgraded FTWD to On Demand. I'll catch the episodes but I won't be watching live unless From Dusk Till Dawn blows.

I'm 100% unspoiled for this too, which should be interesting.

DH is unspoiled for the mothership as well and he was pissed at the finale. Like /ragequit. Unfortunately, having invested 6 years in the thing, we're likely to see it through no matter the bullshit TPTB pull on their viewership.

• Love 2

For me the first season was very flawed, but I liked it enough to see it through. I'm not chomping at the bit for this season largely because of those disappointments, but I do think there's some residual fatigue over TWD finale, so I'm willing to give it chance on its own merits. Plus similar to what Sherry67 said, it's kind of a placeholder till October. TWD is my favorite show, and I don't like being mad at it. Hopefully this will provide a reasonable distraction and allow me to shake off some of the negativity.

I do appreciate they're trying something different with the boat. I'm not sure I could take the entire series being there, but if they do it right it might work for a season or two.

• Love 3

I'm in. In spite of the fact that I spent most of season 1 screaming out loud that these people were too dumb to live. As Sherry67 said,  I have to watch something. Pretty slim pickings :(

• Love 2

You've got two weeks show, then you're relegated to the bench. (Game of Thrones)

Dropping the S2 two weeks before GOT, smart move AMC.

They learned, from that spanking a few yrs ago.

When they aired a SF of The Walking Dead the same night,that show,returned.

• Love 1

I'm in. I liked S1, but I didn't love it. The Apocalypse Cruise Lines story holds some promise. I was oneo f those people wondering why no one in TWD ever tried to make it to the coast or an island, so now I'll get to see how that scenario would play out.

• Love 4

Because the walkers are still babies! I wonder what this crew will end up calling them.

Well, swimmers is out; the undead aren't all that athletic. Sinkers? Floaters? Ha! I suppose that would work if S2 turns out to be a metaphorical crap fest :)

• Love 1

It's about Walkers, so I'm in. It's been so long I don't even remember if I loved or hated the characters. After listening Negan natter on for 10 minutes, I figure I can handle anything this show throws at me.

I, too, think live commenting will make this much more enjoyable.

• Love 2

I'm in. I liked S1, but I didn't love it. The Apocalypse Cruise Lines story holds some promise. I was oneo f those people wondering why no one in TWD ever tried to make it to the coast or an island, so now I'll get to see how that scenario would play out.

Hey T-Dog.

Curious to see them fight off the Plane Crash Walkers.

The promo showed them backed up to the ocean.

So it's either fight, start swimming or die.

As the final "episode" of the plane story reminded me (since 97% of it was scenes from FTWD), the plane landed/crash landed while the group was still in their neighborhood under military control.  So I'm assuming the survivor from the plane makes their way to the ocean during the events of the final episodes of season 1 and well hear about the fate of the plane second-hand.   Which is par for the course for this don't show and barely tell show.

• Love 1

I'll be tuned in, against my better judgment! 

For the love of God, I have to watch something!  I need a TV show to follow!  So, Season 2 of FTWD and another round of Talking Dead it shall be!

I can't believe I'm going to watch any of it, but...I am, too.

• Love 3