Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters International - General Discussion

• Start Topic

18 minutes ago, scrb said:

Funny thing is, cemeteries are often in scenic locations, overlooking the ocean or the mountains.

I guess one may sometimes have to choose between having neighbors or a cemetery next door.

May be some people are superstitious but on more practical terms, a cemetery would be open space so maybe you'd have a view of some distant landscapes and not likely to generate noise like neighbors might.

But that doesn't explain why she thought it would be "unlucky". Still scratching my head about that.

• Useful 1

Tonight's new episode about moving to Ho Chi Minh City from Hong Kong, the couple were so demanding!    Whining about the fact your toddlers can't have separate bedrooms, in high rise apartments that are so new is absurd.     I guess living like a local isn't on their requirement list, since they're looking for modern, new apartments that are huge.     You certainly get a lot for $2,000 a month there.    That last scene with the local friends wasn't very diverse either.     I think the husband is with Big Pharma, have they been on here before?   He looked familiar.   Plus, I bet he has a housing allowance, and they weren't paying a penny for housing.  

That high rise could have been anywhere in the world, and had nothing local about it.     I think the couple are just piling up a list of places they've been.    They are now so far beyond the everyday person that they have no connection to the countries they live in, for however long they live there.     

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
On 12/18/2019 at 11:44 PM, Olliesmom said:

NYC to Warsaw, Poland. What a refreshing episode!  She was so cute, as was her friend. They liked everything they saw and she picked a great apartment. 

Liked everything? To me it seemed as if she had complaints about everything. And why does she feel the need to let her cat go out on a balcony? Every cat I’ve had has been an indoor cat. Anyway, that third place was awesome. I didn’t find it “masculine” at all.

• Love 4
47 minutes ago, LittleIggy said:

thing. And why does she feel the need to let her cat go out on a balcony

Because she knows her cat and he likes to spend time outdoors. My parents cat nearly lost her mind when she was forced to stay indoors because of a work assignment that forced them to live in a high rise with no outdoors access. 

• Love 2
10 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Because she knows her cat and he likes to spend time outdoors. My parents cat nearly lost her mind when she was forced to stay indoors because of a work assignment that forced them to live in a high rise with no outdoors access. 

It was a rhetorical question.

On 12/19/2019 at 10:15 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

Tonight's new episode about moving to Ho Chi Minh City from Hong Kong, the couple were so demanding!    Whining about the fact your toddlers can't have separate bedrooms, in high rise apartments that are so new is absurd.     I guess living like a local isn't on their requirement list, since they're looking for modern, new apartments that are huge.     You certainly get a lot for $2,000 a month there.    That last scene with the local friends wasn't very diverse either.     

I couldn’t figure out why those two little girls needed separate bedrooms. And her complaining about having to drive them to preschool if they lived in the district where his work was. 🙄 Bitch, please. You aren’t working outside the home. You have more free time than hubby. 
Brazil: Dude was too concerned about being somewhere where he could party every night!

• Love 2

The couple moving to Ho Chi Minh City must have been pulling in some serious money when they both worked "in the financial sector" or whatever they said.  He must be a top executive for whatever company he works for to get a driver, even though he indicated it was only until he found an apartment.  Being able to travel to 76 places also means their jobs gave them a lot of free time, or they are both Type A personalities who don't sit still for long.  

I like the apartment they chose, and the dry and wet kitchen was a new one for me.  I didn't get the impression they were interested in living like the locals, just stamping their passports and chalking up another city on their life list.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

I couldn’t figure out why those two little girls needed separate bedrooms. And her complaining about having to drive them to preschool if they lived in the district where his work was. 🙄 Bitch, please. You aren’t working outside the home. You have more free time than hubby. 
Brazil: Dude was too concerned about being somewhere where he could party every night!

It was about putting her girls in a car every morning and afternoon for them to get to school as well as probably not being particularly close to their classmates. She indicated that except for school she essentially had to drive for other errands. I didn't find her entitled as I wouldn't want to subject young kids to a 45 minute commute to their pre-school either.

Since they could afford three bedrooms why not? Sometimes the requests on the budgets make no sense but in this case, a three bedroom was affordable. I don't begrudge kids having their own bedroom and it does simplify things for parents - sick kids - different schedules etc. Also, if family visits, it's easy to free up one of the kid's bedrooms as a guest bedroom. Space is always better unless you can't afford it. 

• Love 9

I thought the husband said he would have a driver to take him to work everyday and that he could also use him to look for apartments.  I also wasn't sure how big a deal the pre-school would be as those girls looked quite young.  So, maybe 2 or 3 times a week?  I was happy to see a nice housing allowance as usually when it's a Vietnam episode people are looking in the $300/month or so price range.  I enjoyed seeing the nicer apartment.  However, the parents said they wanted an authentic cultural experience for their daughters but I'm thinking that's not what they will get in those apartments.  Overall, I am thinking that I am confused about many things in this episode.  Oh well.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

I also wasn't sure how big a deal the pre-school would be as those girls looked quite young.  So, maybe 2 or 3 times a week?  

Early Childhood Education is more important than high school. The first three years are the MOST important years of a child's life. 

• Love 4
On 12/22/2019 at 11:34 PM, Grrarrggh said:

Early Childhood Education is more important than high school. The first three years are the MOST important years of a child's life. 

I didn’t go to preschool and turned out alright, earning a couple of advanced degrees.

• Love 8
7 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

I didn’t go to preschool and turned out alright, earning a couple of advanced degrees.

I hear ya.  The rural area I was born in, there was no such thing as preschool.  There was no kindergarten so I started first grade at five.  I "only" have an undergraduate degree but I think I turned out ok and I do have a functioning brain. 😃

• Love 6

Early education does not have to mean preschool or anything formal. Your home environment can provide all of the enrichment a child needs. Preschool becomes more important for less advantaged children whose home environments may not do so. It's not a one size fits all situation.

In a foreign country like this it would be helpful to teach the kids the language and customs, make new friends, get mommy some new friends, etc.

• Love 12

So tonight's new one "Mexican Roots, American Anxieties", the people are relocating to Mexico so their children can soak up the language and culture.    But they have three kids (2 girls, and a boy) and the wife keeps saying that all three can share one bedroom, because they do that now.     Huh?    That's not going to last for long.   

I suspect it's another investment property, since they keep asking about short term rentals, and are all about the amenities, including how far to the nearest bars?       

• Love 3

Nothing fazes me about kids sharing a bedroom, because I have a step-daughter with 7 kids, 5 girls and 2 boys, ages 13 to 2, who all share one bedroom. Don't get me started on having more kids than you can afford. The parents think they are all gifts from God.

• Love 2

I think the boyfriend was doing a schtick and probably thought he came off much different than he did. That doesn’t make me like him but at least it makes me think he is always not that obnoxious for her sake.

• Love 2
On ‎12‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 2:00 PM, Bastet said:

I have no idea; there is seemingly no end to the superstitions people will come up with.  I'd consider silent neighbors to be a great stroke of real estate luck.

I have an illogical fear of zombies, so I could never live close enough to a cemetery to be able to see it at night.  But I wouldn't say it was unlucky to live there, just insomnia inducing for me.

• Love 1
On ‎12‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 1:51 AM, biakbiak said:

My brother's cat likes to go out on the balcony and look around.  That way he (the cat) gets fresh air and the feeling of being outside without having to interact with the actual outside.  Some cats are like that.

9 hours ago, SimonSeymour said:

This “couple” moving from Boston to Paris? Wow. Adrian HATED the guy. And so did the editors. 

Add me to the club.  He was pretty awful, going on about relaxing and her paying for everything.  Ugh.

I hated the apartment they chose, far too modern for me, but it was close to her work and the views were pretty terrific.  I'd have stretched my budget for the second place, though.  The first place was okay except for the weird glass wall for the bathroom.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

They've been together for 7 years but not married?

And she's paying for everything?

He also wants them to go out to eat more.

Also sounded like she did all the cooking after long hours, referred to coming home at 2 AM and how she might resent that he spent all day enjoying Paris on her dime.

• Love 4

They met in college so 7 years doesn’t seem odd to me. A lot of people wait a few years after college so they are more established in their jobs. 
I do think he was “joking” about some of the things, given his other remarks like “I like to think we saving lives, but really we’re just lining the pockets of big pharma.”

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 5

Paris episodes are still my favorites, though the house hunters have gotten kind of odd lately.  This one made me wonder if she didn't even want to be on the show or if she was just naturally reserved.  Of course, being the sole breadwinner in a foreign country would be pretty stressful for anyone but you could hear the relief in her voice when they picked the ugly building with the great view.

It's always fun watching Adrian. She needs her own show.  

• Love 11

I always try to see the Paris shows. This couple had a huge budget. The Parisians I have known for years live in much more modest places. Smaller, too. This just didn’t seem realistic. I guess she works for a big bucks company, but ...  I actually didn’t mind him so much. He was joking a lot. But they were both douchebags, because I don’t think either of them knows a word of French, and yet they just have to live in Paris!

Edited by judylo
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, judylo said:

I always try to see the Paris shows. This couple had a huge budget. The Parisians I have known for years live in much more modest places. Smaller, too. This just didn’t seem realistic. I guess she works for a big bucks company, but ...  I actually didn’t mind him so much. He was joking a lot. But they were both douchebags, because I don’t think either of them knows a word of French, and yet they just have to live in Paris!

Again too long living in SF, so made me think all the options were good deals! Though how they called that slightly large closet a third bedroom in the apartment they chose is beyond me but I guess it did have a window.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

how does one get a one year sabbatical from a non-academic job? They keep the job open for him for a year?

When I worked for the federal government, I remember there was a process for getting a sabbatical. I would think if the husband's company valued him, knew he would be gone for a year, they'd hold his job for him.

• Love 2

She seems to be willing to let him walk over her.

She's paying all the expenses for him to be around?

What does he bring to the table for her to let him tag along?

Magical penis?  Or she thinks a ring is coming soon?

She may make a lot of money but she opted for not spending the full budget -- probably the housing allowance her company gives her.  The two choices were $3500 and $3300 or $2400 for the year they were going to be in Paris.

Though she would have spent metro costs to commute as well from the Marais place.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Paris: I liked the first flat best. Anyway, how does one get a one year sabbatical from a non-academic job? They keep the job open for him for a year?

My dad got a year long sabbatical from IBM, it’s not that unusual for companies if the employee is valuable to them.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Anyway, how does one get a one year sabbatical from a non-academic job?

Establish your value to the company over time and make arrangements for your absence.  I doubt it's very common, for a variety of reasons on both employer and employee side, but it happens. 

• Love 1

Facebook comments seem to think the Paris douchebag is gay. Dunno. I didn’t get that particular vibe. On rewatching (don’t judge me! I had a lively Facebook discussion), he reminds me of Jim Carrey.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Bastet said:

Establish your value to the company over time and make arrangements for your absence.  I doubt it's very common, for a variety of reasons on both employer and employee side, but it happens. 

The guy was only in his twenties so I don’t see how he could be that invaluable. 😏

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, LittleIggy said:

I stand by my belief that this dude isn’t that invaluable. 

And my point was that you don’t necessarily have to be because more companies are making it an option in their benefit package. 

• Love 2

My employer has had unpaid sabbaticals for all the 20 years I've been there, though you need to make a case as to how it would benefit the company in order to get your manager and HR to approve it. 

Hopefully the guy is not as much of a jerk IRL as he was on the episode. In fact, putting your own career on hold for your partner to pursue a foreign posting is a nice gesture that not a lot of people would consider.  Especially when there's still a lot of gender bias when it's the man following the woman. 

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, tessaray said:

My employer has had unpaid sabbaticals for all the 20 years I've been there, though you need to make a case as to how it would benefit the company in order to get your manager and HR to approve it. 

Hopefully the guy is not as much of a jerk IRL as he was on the episode. In fact, putting your own career on hold for your partner to pursue a foreign posting is a nice gesture that not a lot of people would consider.  Especially when there's still a lot of gender bias when it's the man following the woman. 

yes, it might look like a nice gesture, but I got the vibe from this guy that he would be living it up on the girlfriend's dime while she was working long hours. Plus, he invited a million friends to visit (she mentioned more than once), so I wonder if she would be footing part of the bill for "entertaining" them too---drinks, dinners, etc. They would all definitely be staying in the Paris apartment. It sounded like a year of fun and games for the boyfriend. Not so much for the wage earning girlfriend. She even spoke about the possibility of becoming resentful, so....

• Love 3
On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 5:22 PM, Bastet said:

I guess it depends on the company.  I know when I worked retail, it would not have happened (none of us were that valuable to the company), but now I have a government job, so maybe?  Probably not, though.

That glass bathroom is funky though.

My guess is they retrofit in a bathroom there but it's along an inner wall so it wouldn't have much light so they made that wall of glass.

That's what you get I guess when you modernize the interiors of some buildings well over 100 years old.

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, scrb said:

That glass bathroom is funky though.

My guess is they retrofit in a bathroom there but it's along an inner wall so it wouldn't have much light so they made that wall of glass.

That's what you get I guess when you modernize the interiors of some buildings well over 100 years old.

I thought that bathroom was in the 2nd apartment.  Which I did like except for the funky bathroom.  Although I believe that was in the 2nd bedroom and not the master, so I wouldn't have to see it all the time.  I did like the style of the furnishings in that place.

On 12/27/2019 at 11:13 PM, biakbiak said:

Again too long living in SF, so made me think all the options were good deals! Though how they called that slightly large closet a third bedroom in the apartment they chose is beyond me but I guess it did have a window.

As someone who has rented in Boston there is no way you could get those apartments for those prices unless you were in the outer boroughs, suburban areas.  I wonder where they actually lived in Boston.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 12/31/2019 at 10:27 AM, proserpina65 said:

I thought that bathroom was in the 2nd apartment.  Which I did like except for the funky bathroom.  Although I believe that was in the 2nd bedroom and not the master, so I wouldn't have to see it all the time.  I did like the style of the furnishings in that place.

It was in the first apartment.  As for the boyfriend?  Someone apparently told him he's hot, tall, square jaw; she probably thought him hot as well, which is why she was with him. 

23 hours ago, Neurochick said:

It was in the first apartment.  As for the boyfriend?  Someone apparently told him he's hot, tall, square jaw; she probably thought him hot as well, which is why she was with him. 

Thanks for checking.  I thought about looking at my tape to see, but I'd already taped over it.  Okay, so the funky bathroom was, well, funky.  But if it was in the guest room, I could live with that.

Well, well, the Bangkok couple from Denver didn't go with the over-sized, Denver-transplant place, but rather, a more centrally located, smaller, but still nice spot. Considering the wife's "#1 worry" was snakes coming up her toilet, I thought she did fine. Sorry she's the mom of 3, though (spouse as #3). He seemed pretty reasonable once he stopped goofing to the camera. Or was I distracted getting dinner?😉

• Love 1

Re: Bangkok:  I know it's all about the editing, but what made me queasy about the discussions of which place to choose was that the word 'school' was never mentioned.  (If they were home-schooling, I missed that - sorry.)  But it would seem almost as relevant as distance from the husband's work.  I was listening for it because there was one of the Mexican ones (not HHI) this weekend where a family from San Francisco were relocating entirely to, I think, Cabo, with a 10 and 13 year old and - ditto.  If you're going to show people with kids, it seems a pretty central issue.   The editing monkeys could at least give it a line or two.

• Love 2