Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters International - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Yep, and it's apparently the same in California - no closet, you can't count it as a bedroom. In other words, if you have a house that has four potential bedrooms but one of them doesn't have a closet it in, you can't list it as a four-bedroom. You have to list it as a three bedroom.

I'm sorry, I know I'm an old fart but I just don't understand this obsession with being near shops and cafes. 

It goes along with the absolute necessity for a huge kitchen for the enormous amount of entertaining they will be doing and the full guest suite because of the influx of legions of visitors.  And don't forget the outdoor space/balcony for that all important morning cup of coffee.  Not of which, in real life, actually happens.

• Love 6
On 8/20/2016 at 7:03 PM, biakbiak said:

She is the only one working and they had just decided to move and that is where she got the job, so initially it had nothing to do with the base because he was already retired before they decided to move to Europe. The above link explains more of their situation. 

But this show wasn't about their initial move, but their move now. Were it not for the base, I don't think they'd be moving just to be near the coast; they're already near the coast. They are not near a base, though. I'm wondering why she can't find a job near the base.

58 minutes ago, mojito said:

But this show wasn't about their initial move, but their move now. Were it not for the base, I don't think they'd be moving just to be near the coast; they're already near the coast. They are not near a base, though. I'm wondering why she can't find a job near the base.

Or on the base- it seems like she'd be an asset for the DoD schools.

I liked those two-they seemed like a lot of fun. I hope they're enjoying their life in Spain. But a weekend place at the beach without at least a view of the water? Well, okay.

• Love 1

I just watched the episode where a couple moves from Manhattan to Bariloche, Argentina.  The guy was a nerdy redhead who put his rap career on hiatus to write a book.  I don't remember what she did for a living, but she left her career, her home, and her family to join him on his adventure.  I foresee regrets...

There were a couple of short video clips of the "frat house environment" of the guy's previous home.  One of the men in it appeared to be wearing only a bath towel, and as he lowered himself to the ground to sit on the floor, he spread his legs, giving everyone in the room an eyeful of his junk.  The only way I could wrap my head around this was that maybe he's a naturist, and everyone was used to seeing him nude; wearing a towel was how he dressed up for the camera.

I just couldn't imagine how the couple ended up together.  She had to have seen his rap performances and his home life, but she was still willing to turn her own life upside down to be with him.  She has a food blog.  Sorry to anyone here who has a food blog, but if you have a food blog, I don't like you.

Wikipedia states that Barlioche was Nazi war-criminal haven.

• Love 8

The girl did say she was happy the towel wearing guy was wearing underwear under the towel, so I don't think his junk was on display.  But I just don't get why any woman over the age of 21 would live with a bunch of guys in a frat atmosphere.   

I don't get this couple, either.  He's a total nerd, rapper wannabe, who just appears to be a total dork. And, I thought he was disrespectful to the woman when he said she needs to get over her big city mentality.  And she left a television job to be with this wierdo?   He must have something I can't see to attract this woman. 

• Love 8

What the ??? That's my take away from the couple in the Manhattan/Staten Island to Bariloche, Argentina episode.

And the choice, he's all about him. But she's way too taken with him (she think he's cool and she can brag that she's dating a rapper - that's apparently the main appeal here), that she falls for what he says, that's why she's there in the first place. His argument about there being a hill outside of the third house and walking up it as if that is a comparable issue to being an hour outside of town with no car is ridiculous. Let's not list any of the negatives about being an hour outside of town and needing to take a bus, no mention of bus schedules or meeting people or visiting restaurants or food stores for her blog. 

Strange couple for sure, an odd pairing and more confusing why she quit her job, ditched her apartment and went with him.  She lost me at "corporate creative" in many ways. And my takeaway about him is that despite appearances to the contrary, he's got family money and lives off of it in large part because his rap group isn't bringing it in to make this extended writing retreat possible, so unless I missed something, that's the assumption I'm making.

As for the roommates in Staten Island, I loved that the guy was wearing the towel and he's like "No" when she's all like "not wearing clothes today?" First, he wasn't flashing his junk, he had on underwear, she mentioned that clearly, but even if he didn't. I'm sure he's like, "what are you doing here??? I signed up to live with 6 guys who don't care whether I'm in a towel. So again, why are you here and I'm surely not changing a thing about what I do to accommodate you, the interloper." Again, an assumption, but one I'll roll with and support. I would feel the same way if it was the reverse and a messy boyfriend moved in with an orderly group of girl roommates, he'd have to get it together because as the overstaying guest who likely wasn't approved one by one by all housemates, don't start acting like you pay rent around here when you don't.

Edited by JasmineFlower
  • Love 4

The admission that he had underwear on underneath his towel was so stupid as it made it clear that was a totally producer driven move to show how horrifying it was to live with men!

The girl was so far out of his league, it was a total head scratcher as to why she was with him.  I wouldn't brag about dating a ginger rapper, I'd be mortified for anyone to find out.  And now he's apparently a novelist?  

And my takeaway about him is that despite appearances to the contrary, he's got family money and lives off of it 

This is the only explanation!  For both his ability to pursue his two chosen "careers" and why the heck she's with him.

• Love 4

Yup, he had underwear on, she was all "you're not getting dressed today?" and he was like, "ah, too much effort" and she's like, "I'm so glad you have underwear on under there." To me, this is less about the producers outside of them saying recreate a typical day and more on his part, if things go wrong, he's not flashing the cameras. He might be okay with wearing a towel in front of the cameras, but not okay with walking around naked or in just his favorite pair of jockeys and I can totally see that without a problem. But in general, I know if I was the roommate on an everyday, not when the cameras are there shooting, I'd be like, what's with the school marm who was not one of our chosen schoolmates issuing dress code in OUR house? Hard pass. Don't want to live in a frat house, then don't move in. I highly doubt they miss her.

I'm so on board with your description of being mortified anyone would find out about dating this guy rather than bragging about it. I can't even imagine what her friends and parents really think and you know her co-workers were flabbergasted when she resigned after hearing her plans. And let's remember, he's a first time novelist, he's trying it after years of writing rap lyrics. So there's no large group of readers necessarily awaiting this novel of his that we know of and given everything else he said, doesn't sound like he's the rare first time novelist who was given an advance as part of a contract.

• Love 2

I did check on his group, and found they have a couple of albums, but those didn't sell much of anything.   They seem to be a group who plays small local clubs.  Personally, I just don't get the whole caucasian rapper thing.  And as far as his look goes, he'd be more likely to be successful as a nerd gofer than anything in the rap genre.  I wonder what kind of book he's writing.  His whole personna, to me, was one of "I'm cool, you're not.  I'm hot and talented and you're not.  I'm the best thing since sliced cheese".  I guess I just got the feeling he thought much more of himself than reality shows.  

Can you tell I didn't like this guy at all?  

• Love 4
18 hours ago, chessiegal said:

In Maryland, a bedroom has to have a closet to be considered a bedroom. It has nothing to do with building codes, and everything to do with the Real Estate Commission's rules for listings. I believe it's the same in many states.

That's interesting, because my friend bought a house described as having 6 bedrooms, two of which were attic rooms with no closets, although I don't know how what the actual listing said at the time.  That was about 13 years ago, so maybe that's the difference.

10 minutes ago, erikdepressant said:

It looks like I owe an apology to Towel Guy.  I must have missed the scene where they established that he was wearing underwear.

He'll turn your comment into an entire chapter of his book.  

• Love 4

What the ??? That's my take away from the couple in the Manhattan/Staten Island to Bariloche, Argentina episode.

Heh, you beat me to it. What the? Indeed.

I, too, assumed he must be a trust fund baby, and that his parents indulged his every whim, hence his career in "rap" and his ability to just up and move to Argentina to write a book. As for the girl, clearly she's in it for the money, because otherwise she could hardly do worse in her choice of boyfriends. I guess she's banking on this guy to inherit a fortune from his parents and wants to stick around long enough to get a share of it.

I can't believe anyone in their right mind would buy that tree house. You know that trees grow and shift, right? Meaning that house is only going to be there on a temporary basis before the floors, walls and windows all start cracking and crumbling. 

• Love 3

I am wondering in light of the Italian earthquake,  if this is where any of our House Hunters International have been filmed.

Of course prayers for everyone involved. 

• Love 4

Everything I've seen coming out of Italy is very sad. I'm not sure if there's been an HHI in these cities, but as soon as I heard about the earthquake I was reminded of the episode of the American girl who was an artist that moved to a smaller Italian town and bought a place for less than $20k and the town was one that had been largely deserted because an earthquake had hit the area and it caused most people in the town to move. So much of the town had crumbled and hadn't been rehabbed, many empty properties. It was a sad yet eye opening episode for me. 

• Love 4

Wikipedia states that Barlioche was Nazi war-criminal haven.

When the realtor said the town had a lot of German immigrants I was thinking: "hmmmm...starting around 1945 possibly???"

• Love 6

I think the couple moving from Austin, Texas to Tulum, Mexico needed a better reason than budget to pass up that house with the pool.  The house had more space than the others, it had shade, it was quiet, it had grass for the dog, and it had a gorgeous pool.  So what if it was $10K over budget -- they'd surely get $10K worth of enjoyment from all that.  Seriously, if you're going to visit them, wouldn't you rather visit them in the jungle, with that pool, and the terrace? 

Only one income -- nuh uh.  The one gal was retiring from the police department, so there'll be a pension -- that's income.  I hope the other woman (the sex therapist who was going to take care of her clients over the phone) at least springs for Skype, because it seems like any kind of therapy needs face time.  If therapy could be effective over the phone, my mom and I wouldn't have had so many issues! 

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, AuntiePam said:

Seriously, if you're going to visit them, wouldn't you rather visit them in the jungle, with that pool, and the terrace? 

Only one income -- nuh uh.  The one gal was retiring from the police department, so there'll be a pension -- that's income.  I hope the other woman (the sex therapist who was going to take care of her clients over the phone) at least springs for Skype, because it seems like any kind of therapy needs face time.  If therapy could be effective over the phone, my mom and I wouldn't have had so many issues! 

TBH, living in the jungle would scare the shit out of me.  Just getting to the store for bread would be a huge issue, especially in the rain. What if you have a medical emergency? Plus who knows what's lurking in those jungles: pirates, hooligans, marauders, desperados, giant snakes, man-eating lizards, lions and tigers and bears.  Oh my!  But I'm kind of a sissy anyway, so...  They seemed more concerned with their dog's safety than their own.

Yeah, she should be getting a fairly nice pension, plus her social security when she hits 63 or 65.  

What was the "all cash only" thing they were talking about in the beginning?  For the home or just buying groceries and stuff?

• Love 6

The episode with the ginger rapper just had my sister and I watching with our mouths hanging open. Why would that young women follow that dude anywhere?  

The second the realtor said the town had a large German population I googled to see if it was a Nazi haven and bingo.  What an episode. Just so odd for so many reasons.  

Also, isn't it the rare bird that makes a living from food blogging? And isn't first time novelist who doesn't have to work a day job an even rarer bird?  

The treehouse was a ridiculous choice and what did it matter that you have to walk up a hill. He basically told her to catch the bus. Ugh. She should've told him to kick rocks. Again - what an episode.

• Love 6

I was not into the Tulum Mexico couple from Austin. But in particular, I didn't like the retired partner. She couldn't have cared less about her partner's kids. I mean I'm fairly certain between the dog and the kids, the dog would win in a landslide every time with her. So I was not feeling this episode despite kinda liking the vibe of the one partner some of the time (not during the bizarre, "I'll be seeing my current in-person patients over Skype or on the phone from now on"). But I was really not feeling the other woman. Not saying it's all her fault, the mother seemed to pay lip service to her kids more than anything else, and those kids were not that old, but yeah, it was all just kind of odd so it set a weird tone for the episode to me. I liked their final choice from the little I saw of the episode since I decided to skip through some of it, I didn't like the remote feeling of the second one, and I'd personally never opt for anything feeling like a jungle. And that would not be incentive to visit at all.

• Love 1

If I didn't see the comments here I'd have never thought twice about the rapper and the girlfriend in Bariloche.

So he's not attractive enough for her so she must have ulterior motives?

She seemed to enjoy looking at those houses, especially the ones with the funky features.  Maybe they will eventually split or have already split but at the time, given the fake nature of these shows, she seemed to be all in, giving up her job, agreeing to move, etc.

• Love 1

Re: Austin to Tulum-

I've always found jungles best viewed from a distance, like the overhead shots on the episode. Traveling through one is harrowing enough. I could never live in one.  To piggyback on someone upthread- too much strange and scary lurks in the jungle for me.

• Love 7
On August 24, 2016 at 7:44 PM, scrb said:

There's an app which will generate a "walkability" score for properties.

People do pay a premium to be near conveniences.

Yeah, but all the "little shops and restaurants " are more of an occasional thing.  Either these people have a lot of expendable income, or they don't save shit.  Plus, it becomes boring when you go out all the time.   Making a trip to Ft Lauderdale, though it's just 13 miles east, has become a treat for me.   When I lived by all the "little shops and restaurants ",  I either didn't go (trying to save money) or it wasn't a treat when I did.  

• Love 2

I guess it depends.  Some people do eat out a lot.  In episodes featuring big cities, the hunters or the agents hand wave small kitchens because most people in the big city eat out anyways.

There was an episode in Taiwan like that, the agent said "don't worry about kitchen, lot of cheap street food for $3 or $4 a meal."

I would say this, the likelihood of people needing a huge, open kitchen so that they could entertain all the time is no greater than people who are eat out a lot.

In fact, if you can just walk to restaurants in a few minutes, you're more likely to eat out than always have guests over for parties and dinner parties.

• Love 4

Argentina episode-- want the realtor's car! Didn't like the rapper/novelist and just wanted the girl to dump him for the hot realtor, Andres, and his classic car. Yeh, I know I'm shallow.

Can't believe the rapper/novelist complained about the hill outside the 3rd place, but didn't seem too concerned about the long flight of stairs outside the 1st.  Manufactured drama. Still want that car ...

• Love 3

But in particular, I didn't like the retired partner. She couldn't have cared less about her partner's kids. I mean I'm fairly certain between the dog and the kids, the dog would win in a landslide every time with her. 

On the contrary, the ex-cop seemed way more concerned with having extra bedrooms or extra space for guests than the woman with the kids did. I can understand being skittish about living in a relatively remote location (I'm not really sure how deep into the "jungle" that second house was) but I saw no appeal in either the first or third house. There was no room for visitors and little to no opportunity for rental space. 

I guess it depends.  Some people do eat out a lot.  In episodes featuring big cities, the hunters or the agents hand wave small kitchens because most people in the big city eat out anyways.

Then I hope they've figured that into their budgets, because eating out all the time is expensive. Being able to buy your own groceries and cook your own meals is much more economical than eating out every night. Making your own coffee and buying a box of danishes or croissants is a lot cheaper than sitting at the cafe every morning and buying an expensive latte. It may seem "glamorous" or cosmopolitan to imagine oneself out and about, stopping for brunch at the local cafe and exploring all the restaurants every night, but that money adds up. Big time.

I also think the life these people imagine for themselves is far less engaging after the newness wears off. Most of them move to very touristy places and the crowds and the noise have to get irritating after awhile. And it may seem exciting to live near a lot of quaint little shops and boutiques but really, how many times can you go into them before you're bored with everything they sell, and how much crap can you buy from these little shops anyway?

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Mu Shu said:

Yeah, but all the "little shops and restaurants " are more of an occasional thing.  Either these people have a lot of expendable income, or they don't save shit.  Plus, it becomes boring when you go out all the time.   Making a trip to Ft Lauderdale, though it's just 13 miles east, has become a treat for me.   When I lived by all the "little shops and restaurants ",  I either didn't go (trying to save money) or it wasn't a treat when I did.  

This is very location specific and will definitely depend on the specifics of the individual or family. Whereas these little shops and restaurants may seem like an occasional thing in some areas or a treat to some people, it's a daily way of life for many in other areas or who spend their money in different ways. Where I live on the east coast, both in the desired suburbs in and around me and downtown, and many other suburban and downtown areas on the East Coast that I know very well, people absolutely go to the little shops and restaurants all the time. It's just the way that it is, though they do go to the restaurants more than the shops. Now, I cook, but it is extremely apparent to me that a ton of people near me just do not, or the restaurants that are near me wouldn't be darn near full on weekday nights when I pass them on my way home. But they clearly are, they've got regulars from the area and it's just a thing those people and those families do. They eat out regularly or they get takeout regularly. A few years ago, my birthday fell on a Monday, I was kinda like, listen we don't need to go out on the day like we usually do, the restaurants will be empty, I like the ambiance as well as the food of a restaurant, seemed like a waste. But we ended up going and guess what? It was a 3/4 full restaurant on a Monday night, could've been a weekend night. I was absolutely stunned, but that's just how it is around here.

So, just offering a different perspective. When I watch House Hunters and people say they want to be near shops and restaurants, I assume that to be true and not just lip service for something that occasionally may happen, though it's fine if that's the case because maybe they just like the vibe of areas like that. I can relate to that completely as well.

Edited by JasmineFlower
  • Love 3

Austin to Tulum -- yeah, the "jungle" was pretty close to the house.  Depending on how much land went with that house, maybe some of those trees could be cleared. 

Did you guys notice the car the realtor was driving?  No product placement there -- it was a rust bucket.  One camera shot even showed the underside.  I liked it -- no reason to have a shiny new vehicle when you're driving on those roads.

• Love 1
Spoiler

There was something off about the Tulum couple.   I can't fathom a mom moving that far away from her kids (who didn't appear to be that old) and giving up her job like that.  Almost as though she were being coerced into moving.  But at least she wasn't forced to live in Tarzanland with creepy things.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, iMonrey said:

On the contrary, the ex-cop seemed way more concerned with having extra bedrooms or extra space for guests than the woman with the kids did. I can understand being skittish about living in a relatively remote location (I'm not really sure how deep into the "jungle" that second house was) but I saw no appeal in either the first or third house. There was no room for visitors and little to no opportunity for rental space. 

Then I hope they've figured that into their budgets, because eating out all the time is expensive. Being able to buy your own groceries and cook your own meals is much more economical than eating out every night. Making your own coffee and buying a box of danishes or croissants is a lot cheaper than sitting at the cafe every morning and buying an expensive latte. It may seem "glamorous" or cosmopolitan to imagine oneself out and about, stopping for brunch at the local cafe and exploring all the restaurants 

I also think the life these people imagine for themselves is far less engaging after the newness wears off. Most of them move to very touristy places and the crowds and the noise have to get irritating after awhile. And it may seem exciting to live near a lot of quaint little shops and boutiques but really, how many times can you go into them before you're bored with everything they sell, and how much crap can you buy from these little shops anyway?

The third house had a private Casita with a kitchenette that would be absolutely perfect for renting out or have people to stay in,  so I think the idea that it was unrentable was simply to make it not so obvious which one they were going to go with (in the reveal they stated that it was perfect to rent out and have peopĺe stay in) the house in the jungle only had the one bedroom that was connected to the house which wouldn't be desirable to rent out since one of them stated she didn't even like her friends and family in her living space. The house they went with seemed like the actual perfect space for them given that it also had a nice yard.

Her children appeared to be at least college aged if not older so I don't see the big deal about them moving away, they weren't even living with them, she mentioned she would miss seeing them once a week.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 2

NY to Argentina couple:  UGH!  I agree with everyone else....what an odd couple!  She was attractive, seemed to have a great personality, gave up EVERYTHING, etc!  "Ginger Ice"....not so much! I was cracking up in the beginning with the stage and all their equipment and their "audience" looked like the girlfriend, a few friends, and their parents...in the front yard! I couldn't resist and looked him up and Facebook.  It looks like he finished his 1000+ page book back in June. If it's anything like his rapping, I won't be looking for it on the NY Times Bestseller List.  Also, it looks like they were/are only planning on being out there for one year.  They moved out there in Sept 2015 so they should be returning back to the US very soon.

• Love 4

In a lot of foreign countries, "shops" also includes the markets where they sell fruits and vegetables, as well as individual shops for meats and delis, breads and pastries, etc.  Especially in places where the kitchens are tiny with tiny fridges, people buy food for cooking meals only for that day or maybe a day or two ahead instead of stocking a fridge and freezer full all at once.

I've always lived in cities, and "shops and restaurants" mean a lot of things to me.  Within a short walking distance from my house, I have:  post office, FedEx, UPS, a small hand car wash place, drug store, two grocery stores, cheese shops, bakeries, liquor stores, fine liquor stores, chain clothes stores and unique boutiques, coffee shops, sandwich shops, pizza places, delis, ethnic food restaurants, yoga studio, gym (right across the street from the ice cream shop!), tea shop, sports gear, nick-knack stores, shoe stores, many bars (many with live music), hair salons, nail salons, massage places, shoe repair shop, chiropractors, dentists, nostalgia candy store, baby store, specialty paper store, make-up store, urgent care clinic, pet grooming and supplies, vet, and on and on.  

There is a lot to be said for being able to walk to all of that instead of having to drive or even have a car.   That is the one thing I fully understand when HHers ask for it!

Edited by izabella
  • Love 10

Soccer-playing couple from the US buying in Paris........he with the unfortunate 'do of strands of hair masquerading as "bangs"?   I was completely distracted by "Alex, the property manager" (who was young and most likely the family owned the properties). WTF???? So dang good-looking, and with that accent???  I kept thinking the female half of the couple was going to dump fringey and run off with him. There was no indication that she would, but I would've.

• Love 4
13 hours ago, izabella said:

In a lot of foreign countries, "shops" also includes the markets where they sell fruits and vegetables, as well as individual shops for meats and delis, breads and pastries, etc.  Especially in places where the kitchens are tiny with tiny fridges, people buy food for cooking meals only for that day or maybe a day or two ahead instead of stocking a fridge and freezer full all at once.

I've always lived in cities, and "shops and restaurants" mean a lot of things to me.  Within a short walking distance from my house, I have:  post office, FedEx, UPS, a small hand car wash place, drug store, two grocery stores, cheese shops, bakeries, liquor stores, fine liquor stores, chain clothes stores and unique boutiques, coffee shops, sandwich shops, pizza places, delis, ethnic food restaurants, yoga studio, gym (right across the street from the ice cream shop!), tea shop, sports gear, nick-knack stores, shoe stores, many bars (many with live music), hair salons, nail salons, massage places, shoe repair shop, chiropractors, dentists, nostalgia candy store, baby store, specialty paper store, make-up store, urgent care clinic, pet grooming and supplies, vet, and on and on.  

There is a lot to be said for being able to walk to all of that instead of having to drive or even have a car.   That is the one thing I fully understand when HHers ask for it!

Yeah but I don't think that's what these HHers mean when they say "shops and restaurants."  To me, it sounds like they're trying to be "cool" and giving off a vibe that they're dining out, going to bars, and coffee shops, and that's all.   

• Love 2

Texas to Telum couple. I didn't see either partner as being particularly indifferent to the other's "family". It's a half-hour show and they couldn't get into all the relationship dynamics. The main thing was that there is an extra room for visitors and grass for the dog. The frustrating  thing about HH/HHI is how they give you some background, yet leave giant holes behind, as though people aren't interested in the backstory. For me, it's not so much people's private lives, but how they're affording to live where they do. I'm trying to figure out how I, too, could make the move these people do.

Telum looked like a quaint city overrun with Americans and soon to be overrun by more. Wouldn't be my cup of tea, but probably would be if I shared their social demographics. Me, I'd rather be somewhere with limited non-native presence. It's nice to know a few people from "back home", but in a similar situation in my past, contact between us homeys was limited to saying hello and a few words every now and then. We otherwise dispersed in the population.

Anyone know how, besides paying out of your pocket, Americans handle medical care in Mexico and other foreign countries? Do most people not worry about getting sick?

Although the red-headed rapper and his girlfriend seemed quite puzzling, I gotta tip my hat to them for trying to do something out of the ordinary, regardless of how ill-thought out it seemed. At least they're single and not burdened with kids and can go their separate ways. Didn't buy the woman's "career" though. I don't think she had much more going in that respect than he did. I give him credit for at least knowing something about Hemingway and Thoreau. 

• Love 1

Anyone know how, besides paying out of your pocket, Americans handle medical care in Mexico and other foreign countries? Do most people not worry about getting sick?

It varies place by place and if you are working for a company in that country but many allow you to buy into the state systemeven if you are not working there if you are a permanent resident and private insurance exist as well if the state system isn't an option.

Many procedures are a lot cheaper in other countries, it's why global medical tourism exists.

biakbiak, probably should have been clearer. I'm wondering about retirees, not corporate transfers. Don't most people go abroad for surgeries that are considered elective or orthopedic as opposed to, let's say, heart and brain surgeries? Or cancer treatments? Can a couple who could pay $150K for a home also pay for cancer treatments out of pocket? Just stuff I wonder about.

I saw the Washington, DC to France couple. So you have a one bedroom with an open loft. They are thinking about the guests who'll come over and stay despite the fact that they've gone to bed. And if those guests are camping out on the sofa for a week, don't you just kind of blow of privacy for the duration of their visit anyway?

• Love 1

Can a couple who could pay $150K for a home also pay for cancer treatments out of pocket? Just stuff I wonder about

They wouldn't need to as I stated they could by onto the Mexico state system for cheap if they are permanent residents and could also buy private insurance if they were more affluent that can also be more reasonable than insurance in the US.

I know people who have gone to India for both liver transplants and cancer treatments but the point was that Healthcare procedures of all sorts of issues can be much cheaper than in the US, if you live there.

• Love 1

Maybe she liked the rapper's goofy charm.  She moved from Manhattan to Staten Island and then Bariloche?

That's a hell of a long game she's playing if she has some ulterior motive.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, scrb said:

Maybe she liked the rapper's goofy charm.  She moved from Manhattan to Staten Island and then Bariloche?

That's a hell of a long game she's playing if she has some ulterior motive.

Hell for many Manhattanites the Staten Island move would be more of a deal breaker!

• Love 5

Do most people not worry about getting sick?

They sure as hell should. I used to be a flight nurse and did worldwide transport of patients.  Some of the absolute worst care I ever saw was in Mexico.  I had one patient actually tear out is IVs, sneak out of the hospital, and take a cab to the airport to meet us when we landed he was so eager to get out of there!

• Love 1

I did a little Googling, and I believe the town in Italy that has had a couple of HHI episodes (Scottish painter, NY chef) featuring cheap housing due to a previous earthquake is Guardia Sanframondi. It looks like the earthquake was significantly north of there, maybe 150 miles away? So I doubt there was too much damage in Guardia, if any.

• Love 1

The American idea that ability to receive quality health care is largely dependent on financial status is, well, foreign to much of the world.  So while some HH are moving to countries where the healthcare is not the greatest for anyone within its borders, those moving to countries with high-quality care are not terribly burdened by not being citizens of those countries.  There are different processes and such, but health care is considered such a fundamental right in most industrialized nations that being an immigrant is not a major obstacle.

• Love 6