Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters International - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Adrian Leeds is my other favorite.  She's in Paris

Saw Adrian tonight on Tiny House World (FYI channel?). She was taking her cousin & daughter around where she lives. The smallest "house" was 95 sq.ft.!

• Love 3

Note to Conor in Valencia: stop saying "family orientated"!

Why? Are you referring to saying orientated instead of  oriented? Because I have many British friends and they all say orientated where we say oriented.  A

ETA, or did he just say it a lot? I haven't seen the episode yet.

Edited by JennyMominFL
  • Love 1

The wife of the husband who moved with the family to Grenada for medical school drove me crazy. All she cared about was entertaining while he didn't want to blow the loans he took out to afford to go to medical school. I also couldn't believe that she apparently didn't plan on working at all. She was the worst.

• Love 1

Saw Adrian tonight on Tiny House World (FYI channel?). She was taking her cousin & daughter around where she lives. The smallest "house" was 95 sq.ft.!

I saw this as well (95 sq ft with a shared communal bathroom is nuts) and remember seeing it initially as a House Hunters International.  

In general am loving the Tiny House World show though.  I think my favorites so far have to be Paris, the young girl and her mother in Devon, England and the family in Dublin, Ireland.  I just love seeing Europe!

• Love 1

Richard is back again! So happy it seems like he's going to be in this slate of new HHI episodes. My mom is loving him too, she mentioned it to me unprompted and also really reminds her of Morris from 24 (Carlos Riota, also Emilio on Jane the Virgin).

Luckily Richard was entertaining and Surrey looked charming, because these people were complaining a lot. They weren't completely unlikable, at least the wife wasn't, but they could have dialed back the criticisms. You have a tight budget and you are in an expensive county, calm down a bit with all your complaints. You demand furnished, but do nothing but criticize the furniture, which is understandable if you're not feeling it, but then don't act like a crime has been committed when Richard shows you an unfurnished place where you can buy stuff that you actually like so that you're not constantly complaining about it being more shabby than chic.

The husband's constant "you're killing me on the budget" was annoying and I'm sure Richard was thinking "you're killing me with the expectations you have with your crappy budget." Richard handled him well, but the guy lost me when he seemed like he wasn't being that friendly, even the wife was like, you're being a bit hard on him. No shit. Richard's not responsible for your budget and what you can get for the money.

• Love 5

Luckily Richard was entertaining and Surrey looked charming, because these people were complaining a lot. They weren't completely unlikable, at least the wife wasn't, but they could have dialed back the criticisms. You have a tight budget and you are in an expensive county, calm down a bit with all your complaints. You demand furnished, but do nothing but criticize the furniture, which is understandable if you're not feeling it, but then don't act like a crime has been committed when Richard shows you an unfurnished place where you can buy stuff that you actually like so that you're not constantly complaining about it being more shabby than chic.

Agreed.  Surrey's a lovely place.  However I have no interest in watching two grumpy people in Surrey bitching about mismatched kitchen chairs.  

• Love 1

The Oram, Utah to Birmingham, England episode featured (what I can only assume to be) a decoy apartment that was 100x better than the other two.  It was a fantastic loft space that included an enclosed outdoor courtyard,  There's no way if that apartment is truly available that they would've picked one of the other dumpy, small, apartment.

• Love 3

The Oram, Utah to Birmingham, England episode featured (what I can only assume to be) a decoy apartment that was 100x better than the other two.  It was a fantastic loft space that included an enclosed outdoor courtyard,  There's no way if that apartment is truly available that they would've picked one of the other dumpy, small, apartment.

I so agree! That rolling door partition thing that defined the bedroom space was weird, but wow, that was a lot of space and that private courtyard was sweet. That property had to be a decoy. Their baby was so precious! I wanted to pinch his chubby cheeked!

Count me as agreeing also. No real househunter would have turned down that loft; it met all of their needs.

I'm hoping for their sake that it really wasn't an actual space that was available after they had already signed their lease, and was instead the realtor's place or something. Otherwise the "if onlys" would be painful.

• Love 1

I saw another episode like that recently, I think also set somewhere in the UK and one apartment really met all their needs yet they didn't take it.  The excuses to pass on it were painfully thin.  If they're going to show us places that were never seriously under consideration they need to come up with alternatives that really aren't absolutely perfect!

I would have loved that apartment but I also have two sets of friends who sold their large lofts when they had a baby because doing anything after the baby went to bed inevitably caused them to wake up. It was also farthest from the University and probably not as conveniently located to the job she most likely already had which is the pluses of the apartment they chose.

• Love 1

Finally just watched the Utah to Birmingham episode.  Boy of boy I wanted to bite that baby's cheeks.  He was just so cute!!

I agree about the loft but the crappy apartment really worked for them.  I'm glad she got a job.  I wonder who's watching the baby.

The Utah to Birmingham couple were most likely Mormons. This isn't the first time HHI has shown Mormons in England. Is there a thriving Mormon community there?

I figured she got a job with the LDS and that the baby is watched there. Aren't there rules for foreign nationals getting jobs in the countries they move to?

• Love 2

It's probably a 99.9999% chance that the Orem to Birmingham couple was LDS.  The LDS church has deep roots in Great Britain, back to its founding, long before they settled Utah.  It definitely gives LDS ex-pats an advantage b/c they have an instant community when they relocate.  The church is worldwide so it applies everywhere and certainly in the UK plus other EU countries.

I wouldn't assume that the HHI wife necessarily worked for the church or had her child cared for there but it wouldn't be unusual for them to have an employment assistance office set up for members.  Besides job search matters, including any EU requirements, that office might help her locate childcare.  Or, other members would provide referrals to local daycare or babysitters / nannies.

Not surprised they passed on the decoy loft;  HHI participants have often lived in their homes for an extended period of time prior to filming an episode.

Edited by aguabella

The rerun makes it time for another rant about Liz in Italy. Honey, you did a lovely decorating job but you didn't do yourself any favors making me think that kitchen (functioning, albeit small and not-updated) was UNINHABITABLE. You have a limited budget and can't believe that limits your selections in the city centre. Hey, is the boyfriend still working as a cooking teacher? It's the insufferable whining you were trying to pass off as charming that makes me wish you'd stayed in the Caribbean.

• Love 1

OMG! What a stink face on that guy Richard on tonight's new episode who was helping his partner Simon choose a place to rent in Sofia! He didn't have a positive thing to say about ANYTHING! Not even the Orgasm Cookie! And what did they expect to find on a budget of $350 a month which was really low even by local standards.

Edited to add..I wonder what that "city center" neighborhood and apartment lobby looks like after dark. I thought it was really dodgy in broad daylight. That was about the only time I agreed with Richard about his concerns for Simon's safety.

Edited by magemaud
  • Love 5

OMG! What a stink face on that guy Richard on tonight's new episode who was helping his partner Simon choose a place to rent in Sofia! He didn't have a positive thing to say about ANYTHING! And what did they expect to find on a budget of $350 a month which was really low even by local standards

I hope Simon found a new partner in Sophia.  Richard can stay in Toronto.

• Love 2

I heard Richard say his word was "seasonal" so he could spend up to 3 weeks at a time in Sofia.  Wonder what he does?  What was Simon's occupation, or did they say?  I got the impression that Simon would not have been too upset if Richard quit visiting.

I heard Richard say his word was "seasonal" so he could spend up to 3 weeks at a time in Sofia.  Wonder what he does?  What was Simon's occupation, or did they say?  I got the impression that Simon would not have been too upset if Richard quit visiting.

I don''t think they said what Simon's occupation was.  I think they frequently omit what the person actually does on these HHI shows and I wonder why.   I got the impression that Simon was looking for an apartment for only himself, while Richard was looking for the both of them.  I'm glad Simon won out.

• Love 2

Simon might have been dull, but I found Richard to be somewhat high maintenance. I don't like those kinds of people.

"Somewhat" high maintenance? Richard was the embodiment of the bitchy queen stereotype. I've known a lot of gay men like that. And what was he wearing in most of the scenes? Knickers?

I thought the two-bedroom place was the best. Why was the $50 difference too much? Wasn't Simon's employer giving him a housing stipend? Or is that only if your employer relocates you, as opposed to joining a new company overseas? He really should have been up on the real estate prices.

The place he took had only a twin bed in the bedroom. I'm surprised Richard allowed him to get that one. How do they sleep together when he visits? I live alone, but I stopped sleeping in a twin bed once I had my own place.

Another thing that bothers me --and it's the same on "Tiny House World" -- is that the prices are in US dollars. I'd rather they use the local currency (or if a country in the EU, euros) and convert it. I think it gives an authenticity in contrast to all the other fakery.

Edited by SmithW6079
  • Love 2

In those scenes when Richard was wearing that white shirt with the long tail, from the back it looked like a diaper!

I also hated it when he jumped on (and faked breaking) the big bed in the out of town apartment. The bed in the place Simon chose seemed to be an odd size, wider than a twin but not a double. Certainly not comfortable for two, so Richard might be stuck on the futon- like thing in the living room when he comes to visit.

Simon might have been dull, but I found Richard to be somewhat high maintenance.  I don't like those kinds of people.

Couples where one of them clearly has to be the STAR weird me out. I'm sort of fascinated by what attracted Simon to Richard.

Also, I wanted to vomit when Simon said he wanted "Communist charm." Whaaat?

• Love 2

Couples where one of them clearly has to be the STAR weird me out. I'm sort of fascinated by what attracted Simon to Richard.

When he said that, I noticed the real estate agent wasn't smiling at all.

The place he took had only a twin bed in the bedroom. I'm surprised Richard allowed him to get that one. How do they sleep together when he visits? I live alone, but I stopped sleeping in a twin bed once I had my own place.

I still think the reason Simon chose that apartment with the twin bed was that he didn't want Richard visiting him often.  I don't think it had anything to do with paying only $50 more for the larger apartment.

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 2

You know, shoddily constructed buildings that are loaded with asbestos and other toxins (and it looks like he got what he wanted in that third building), and where the secret police take you away in the middle of the night and ship you off to the gulag.
  • Love 5
Jules2307, on 30 Dec 2015 - 09:23 AM, said:

Just as a clarification, he said "Post-Communist charm."

I DVR'd the episode, and watched it after reading the comments, so I was waiting for him to say it. I skipped back and listened to it twice, to ensure I was hearing it correctly, and the word "post" was said.

• Love 1

Yeah but he could have just left the whole "Communist" thing alone.  I know he was trying to be funny but sometimes it just falls flat.  I don't think the real estate agent was amused.  

I just think Richard is one of those people who's "charming" to some, and "pain in the ass" to others.

• Love 5

What was with Olyia and her kitchen in the family moving to Fiji? The husband was right -- if I'm moving to a tropical island, I want to see the freakin' ocean when I look out the window.

This was another couple from Utah on HHI; does HGTV have a casting agreement with the Mormons?

Edited by SmithW6079
  • Love 3

I thought if I heard that Utah to Fiji woman say "kitchen" again, I was gonna scream!  God she got on my last nerve. 

I think husband said he applied for and got a job teaching psychology at the university.  In Fiji.  Riiiiight. 

• Love 2

I thought if I heard that Utah to Fiji woman say "kitchen" again, I was gonna scream! God she got on my last nerve.

I think husband said he applied for and got a job teaching psychology at the university. In Fiji. Riiiiight.

He is a senior lecturer at the University of the South Pacific, I don't know what is odd about that. I actually had a friend who did the exact same thing ie apply for jobs at Universities in international locations and got one. Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 2

He is a senior lecturer at the Un8versity of the South Pacific, I don't know what is odd about that. I actually had friend who did the exact same thing in apply for jobs at Universities in international locations and got one.

Well, alrighty then.  

Just as a clarification, he said "Post-Communist charm."

I DVR'd the episode, and watched it after reading the comments, so I was waiting for him to say it. I skipped back and listened to it twice, to ensure I was hearing it correctly, and the word "post" was said.

I have to be honest, "post-communist charm" makes even less sense to me. Communist charm at least brings up memories of Soviet style art propoganda. Post Communist charm reminds me of bread lines and expensive denim.

• Love 1

To me, there was something just so odd about the way the husband spoke, but I can't put my finger on it. It seemed almost like he was talking to children all the time. 

Something about his speech pattern or accent reminded me of Steve on Sex and the City. 

I sympathized with Olyia and her desire for an updated kitchen. She's the one who is going to be spending good amounts of time there, bent over that tiny stove cooking for her husband and four boys (or was it three?). If decent work surfaces and newer appliances are important to her, I don't see why her husband couldn't have compromised on the view. He'll have plenty to see on his daily bike rides to and from work. Besides, I didn't think any of the so-called views were that impressive, mostly power lines from what I could see. I just knew he was going to end up getting his way. I was getting a strong "head of the household" vibe from him, despite his odd vocal delivery.

I totally bought the story about the teaching job and the desire to experience a new culture, but comments here have made me wonder if the family's main reason for being in Fiji is to convert people to Mormonism? It's always entertaining to come here for subtext!

• Love 1

Sofia: I'm sorry, but if you're so cheap that you don't want to spring another US$50 over the $300/month rent to live more comfortably, you deserve your bitchy boyfriend.  It's one thing to shower sitting on the toilet, but when the dark mold in the corner of the bathroom is visible on the TV screen, I would've crossed that apartment off right away.

Suva:  The husband talked as though he was trying to jut his lower jaw out as much as possible.  Very stereotypically geeky.  It was kinda funny to see him going into the swimming pool fully clothed with this boys.  Mr. Ritalin Smoothie was wondering whether his white undershirt was his Mormon underwear.

For me, the main drawback of the apartment with the nice kitchen is that the unit is right next to the communal pool.  When I saw the exterior shot, I realized that if I lived there, for privacy I would have to draw the curtains on at least two windows (which is no way to live). 

This show does feature a large number of missionary couples and families.  Hey, if I have to go overseas to spread the gospel, I wouldn't mind supplementing my modest income with an appearance on the show.

• Love 1