Type keyword(s) to search

GH In The News: The PC Press Club

• Start Topic

13 hours ago, ulkis said:

FRANK:  That was me.  I asked the writers to do it, because I thought it was something that could be really fun, and another little surprise.  When you have actors that you love so much you try to find ways to use them.

No wonder he hired Passanante and Altman, since they love to do the same thing.

We don’t often look at the show in terms of one or two characters. It’s like having a whole family; you can’t think of just one child, you have to think of the family altogether. 

He's speaking specifically about the Alexis/Julian breakup, but if this is the case, why is cast integration so poor? Because the stories so often do only involve two characters.

12 hours ago, TeeVee329 said:

So...a script editor can overrule the head writers?

I bet FV wanted the Finn/Silas remarked upon, so he overruled the head writers.

• Love 5

I don't mean twitter. Or even the GH fan sites like soaptownusa, serial drama and despair in the afternoon. I meant those professional soap mags, press and the increasingly meaningless Emmys. It is like that interview happened in a parallel universe. The interviewers would suck up to these people, telling them how great their storylines were and how they just don't understand why people aren't embracing their pets. Guza was able to ignore the little people partially because of the soap press.

Edited by Ambrosefolly
35 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

I bet FV wanted the Finn/Silas remarked upon, so he overruled the head writers.

He got all fangirly about the Sam/Silas McFinn scenes on twitter. He thinks they were "magic!"

leading me to wonder for the 1,000th time why he wasn't fired with RC

Edited by Oracle42
  • Love 2
56 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Is RoHo dancing with LW? And why are Mo and Matt Cohen clinking champagne glasses? I know those promos aren't really about specific stories, but some of the actor combos are so odd.

Yep.

Nice summer promo, GH.  It's the same damn promo as the "Yay! Michael Easton is back with his umpteenth character!" and the "Happy Anniversary, GH!" promos…just edited differently.  And I think someone just figured out how to do Instagram filters so they added those to it. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Ambrosefolly said:

I don't mean twitter. Or even the GH fan sites like soaptownusa, serial drama and despair in the afternoon. I meant those professional soap mags, press and the increasingly meaningless Emmys. It is like that interview happened in a parallel universe. The interviewers would suck up to these people, telling them how great their storylines were and how they just don't understand why people aren't embracing their pets. Guza was able to ignore the little people partially because of the soap press.

But I still think Guza wasn't even fazed much by that. He really didn't want to write for GH anyway, so he just wrote whatever the fuck he wanted, which was helped by JFP being less of a hard ass to him for quality than Wendy Riche had been, and Brian Frons having a school boy crush on him. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Oracle42 said:

He got all fangirly about the Sam/Silas McFinn scenes on twitter. He thinks they were "magic!"

leading me to wonder for the 1,000th time why he wasn't fired with RC

I knew he still wanted to do Livvie/Caleb part 415 when he got ME back.  I will laugh for days if he actually pulls the trigger on it again.  I may have to just keep tweeting him vines of me laughing over and over again.  He just cannot let shit die.  

• Love 2
4 hours ago, KerleyQ said:

I knew he still wanted to do Livvie/Caleb part 415 when he got ME back.  I will laugh for days if he actually pulls the trigger on it again.  I may have to just keep tweeting him vines of me laughing over and over again.  He just cannot let shit die.  

And the problem is that he'll never understand why Livvie/Caleb worked. They worked cause the chemistry for KM/ME burns when they're both playing the "bad guys". That's when they play their best off of each other. Their chemistry is just so flat with KM playing the reformed bad girl and ME being whatever good guy they're writing him to be. The only way they'd be able to make it work would be able to take their characters full on dark, and I don't see that happening. 

• Love 5
7 hours ago, UYI said:

But I still think Guza wasn't even fazed much by that. He really didn't want to write for GH anyway, so he just wrote whatever the fuck he wanted, which was helped by JFP being less of a hard ass to him for quality than Wendy Riche had been, and Brian Frons having a school boy crush on him. 

I think you're right, Guza never cared about anyone's opinion. And that made me think - Carlivarti cared a hell of a lot. He needed validation and was super-sensitive to criticism. In a way, the result was the same, though. Guza, as you say, wrote whatever the fuck he wanted. Carlivarti wrote whatever the fuck he wanted and if the audience didn't like it, instead of stepping back and even considering that maybe the audience had a point, he'd get stubborn and double-down; by God, he could MAKE us like it!

I don't really have a point - it just struck me how many different ways a headwriter's ego can damage a show.

• Love 9

Frank is seriously delusional. Where is the overwhelming praise over Liz and Franco or Kristina and the professor? A small minority might like them but its not reflecting in the ratings at all that people want them onscreen.

• Love 2
22 hours ago, NetflixandChill said:

And the problem is that he'll never understand why Livvie/Caleb worked. They worked cause the chemistry for KM/ME burns when they're both playing the "bad guys". That's when they play their best off of each other. Their chemistry is just so flat with KM playing the reformed bad girl and ME being whatever good guy they're writing him to be. The only way they'd be able to make it work would be able to take their characters full on dark, and I don't see that happening. 

+++100 I always thought the same thing!

• Love 1
On 8/7/2016 at 11:29 AM, GHfan4Life said:

He's just a blogger, but he tries to come off like he's a professional journalist. That being said, I don't think that the headline was photoshopped. The twitter account said that it was posted on Daytime Confidential and then it was quickly taken off like it was a mistake. Jamey has done things like this before to cover for his mistakes and he uses his twitter followers to attack people that call him out on his actions. If he's so innocent, why didn't he just block the so-called troll and walk away? On the other hand, why does it matter so much to the other person to "expose" Jamey? This behavior gives all soap viewers a bad name. Especially GH viewers. SMDH

Jamey has at least two journalist degrees, because he's talked about them on twitter and the DC podcasts.

On 8/7/2016 at 11:59 AM, ulkis said:

It is par for the course for him. I don't know whether his website is an official one though, or if it's even his. I guess it's not official but I don't think he runs it alone. He rose to prominence because the last headwriter gave him behind the scenes scoop. I don't know if he gets any anymore. 

Jamey Giddens and Luke Kerr co-own Daytimeconfidential.

• Love 1
On 8/9/2016 at 0:37 PM, OnceSane said:

Yep.

Nice summer promo, GH.  It's the same damn promo as the "Yay! Michael Easton is back with his umpteenth character!" and the "Happy Anniversary, GH!" promos…just edited differently.  And I think someone just figured out how to do Instagram filters so they added those to it. 

That promo will always be the "Yes!  Welcome Back, Michael Easton!!" promo no matter how they repurpose it or whatever.  I imagine it angers Mo, so it makes me giggle.  Uh huh.  Oh yeah.  It's my GH hallelujah.

• Love 2
On 8/8/2016 at 9:34 PM, ulkis said:

http://michaelfairmansoaps.com/news/ghs-ep-frank-valentini-talks-jasam-friz-julexis-steering-the-ship-in-port-charles/2016/08/08/

Who came up with the idea to have Jeffrey Vincent Parise return to GH as Carlos’ twin, Dr. Joe Rivera?

FRANK:  That was me.  I asked the writers to do it, because I thought it was something that could be really fun, and another little surprise.  When you have actors that you love so much you try to find ways to use them.

Yes, we know you thought that. We know.

My head hurts after reading this interview.  I can't even.  Nope.  No.  

• Love 1

Interview with Frank from this week's TCA: 

http://pinkjava.com/soaps/general-hospital-frank-v/

But each of them has gotten away with murder. Sonny killed A.J. and Ava killed Connie. Should Avery be with either of them?

I think there are a lot of children in this world who have very terrible parents. Ava and Sonny wrestle with their demons all the time. Avery is a chance for redemption for each of them.

Oh yeah, the show totally treats Ava and Sonny the same. #eyeroll

But he did mention we're gonna see a lot of Lucy coming up.  And, for jsbt, he mentions we will find out what was in Luke's letter to Laura.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 5

TeeVee I want to know what Frank is smoking. This is the 2nd interview he has done that makes no sense. Sonny & Ava aren't treated the same, you got Sonny & Snarly rancid ass trying to take Avery away from her mother like they're any better than her. The idea that Sonny wrestles with his demons is laughable. At least Ava is trying to change & be a better parent even if I can't stand her(Adore MW though).

Personally neither should've Avery but if Sonny and Carly can have & raise there kids despite being beyond horrid then Ava can have & raise Avery.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Darklazr said:

Jamey has at least two journalist degrees, because he's talked about them on twitter and the DC podcasts.

I have a journalism degree.  I worked for a newspaper and edited a trade column for years. But no matter how many long-wonded posts I wrote here and elsewhere, I'm certainly no "soap journalist."

Neither is Jamey. He's a sycophant with a website, and a handful of email addresses and phone numbers. What he does doesn't even rise to the level of fluffing. 

• Love 2

FV on Parker/Kristina

..... what? Serious question: Has FV ever watched this show? 

Follow up question: Did he learn everything he knows about the Kristina/Kiefer story from a Twitter post?

Because Guza actually spent a decent amount of time on Kristina's issues with Sonny and popularity and reasons for being with Kiefer and some of the scenes afterward where Kristina talked to people about violence and the way Sonny treats women were excellent

Edited by Oracle42
  • Love 6
44 minutes ago, Oracle42 said:

FV on Parker/Kristina

Follow up question: Did he learn everything he knows about the Kristina/Kiefer story from a Twitter post?

Also is he pretending like Ron didn't write Kristina as dumb and naive?  Woman or male she was written as a dumb during that Trey story. 

• Love 2
15 hours ago, Oracle42 said:

FV on Parker/Kristina

And since when is Bensonhurst ultra progressive? So all those strong Catholic Italians had no issues with  gay people whatsoever during the 70s when Sonny would've lived there?

Edited by In2You
  • Love 2

When have we seen Sonny struggle with his demons recently? Honestly. He doesn't care that he killed AJ and would do it again and Carly would help him cover it up, no question. And I really don't see how Avery can be considered a redemption for him when her very conception meant he was betraying his son and sleeping with Morgan's girlfriend.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, TeeVee329 said:

But he did mention we're gonna see a lot of Lucy coming up.  And, for jsbt, he mentions we will find out what was in Luke's letter to Laura.

RAGE. Flames on the side of my face. Delusional idiot.

Anthony Geary (ex-Luke) told EW.com as he was walking out the door a year ago that he’d come back for six weeks or so if the story were interesting. Is the door open for him?

(Smiling) The door is always open.

STFU, Frank.

• Love 4
38 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

When have we seen Sonny struggle with his demons recently? Honestly. He doesn't care that he killed AJ and would do it again and Carly would help him cover it up, no question. And I really don't see how Avery can be considered a redemption for him when her very conception meant he was betraying his son and sleeping with Morgan's girlfriend.

Exactly.  Sonny had sex with Morgan's girlfriend, on Michael's father's grave, and cheated on Dante's mother while doing so.  He betrayed all his sons with one act.  And let's not forget all the times Sonny's threatened to kill Ava since, even while she was pregnant with Avery, and seems to live with himself just fine.  Oh, don't get me started on how much I revile this character.  Suffice to say, this show can tell us all they want that Sonny wrestles with his demons and seeks redemption, but they haven't and aren't showing it, and show beats tell in writing every time.

Anthony Geary (ex-Luke) told EW.com as he was walking out the door a year ago that he’d come back for six weeks or so if the story were interesting. 

In that case, we're safe!  These writers never come up with "interesting" stories.

• Love 10
3 minutes ago, Fellaway said:

Exactly.  Sonny had sex with Morgan's girlfriend, on Michael's father's grave, and cheated on Dante's mother while doing so.  He betrayed all his sons with one act.  And let's not forget all the times Sonny's threatened to kill Ava since, even while she was pregnant with Avery, and seems to live with himself just fine.  Oh, don't get me started on how much I revile this character.  Suffice to say, this show can tell us all they want that Sonny wrestles with his demons and seeks redemption, but they haven't and aren't showing it, and show beats tell in writing every time.

Are the exact circumstances by which Avery was conceived something that we are just supposed to forget about Sonny?

You know, it would actually be a good story if the reason Sonny is so determined to get Ava out of Avery's life is because he can fanwank in his mind that Carly is mommy (which, let's face it, if they have their way, I'm sure they are hoping Avery sees Carly as mommy and not Ava) and that seeing Ava daily/weekly/monthly is a visual representation of the time he killed AJ, and he feels guilty about that because it hurt Michael...

But no, we just have the Sonny version of Help! I Made A Baby With Someone I Hate And Now They Won't Give Up Parental Rights! Waah!

Edited by LexieLily
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, In2You said:

Also is he pretending like Ron didn't write Kristina as dumb and naive?  Woman or male she was written as a dumb during that Trey story. 

And since when is Bensonhurst ultra progressive? So all those strong Catholic Italians had no issues with  gay people whatsoever during the 70s when Sonny would've lived there?

I remember watching a scene of Lois explaining to Brenda how Sonny grew up in a macho world and Brenda needed to give Sonny some time to adjust. (Can't link to it right now, but if you type "Lois cuts Brenda's hair" into youtube it should pop up). 

• Love 1
11 hours ago, NiqueAlexis said:

The idea that Sonny wrestles with his demons is laughable.

Hey, now! Every so often Sonny haz a sadz. If that isn't wrestling with his demons, nothing is.

9 hours ago, Fellaway said:

He betrayed all his sons with one act.

You know, that's actually kind of impressive in a very twisted way.

• Love 9
21 hours ago, TeeVee329 said:

Yeah, some Roger Howarth fans would ship him with anything.  "OMG, Franco and Mop are MTB!"

Yep. And the same for some BH fans. It doesn't surprise me that there a some very vocal supporters of Franco/Liz. But honestly I think they're literally the only ones liking them.

FV needs some serious help. There's delusional and then there's him.

• Love 5

Yay, so happy we're getting Despair in the Afternoon updates more regularly!

I’m also really curious about the show Elizabeth has been watching, because in the one that aired on my television screen, Nikolas never even apologized for that, much less showed any inclination to make it up to Hayden in any way other than sometimes being willing to angrily bone her every now and then.

Word.  There definitely seems to be this "Nikolas was a saint, except for one teeny mistake" vibe going on, which is completely not true.

• Love 8
11 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Nik wasn't fat at the time he "died," so everyone is saying positive things about him.

Poor AJ.  

15 hours ago, TeeVee329 said:

Lol.  Ava is a million times more forgivable Avery or not.  Ava has expressed remorse for her crime, remorse for framing AJ.  Maybe MW is actually talented and can act, while Mo mumbles and yells.  But I picked up on it.  Hell, even LW made Carly show a moment of remorse for AJ after hearing the recording. That minute in the hall?  That was acting.  And beyond the writing, that's why Sonny shouldn't be The Guy for GH.  Mo can't carry this soap.  Allowing it to continue is to ask viewers to not care, not remember, and not get invested.  We all know the outcomes.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Chairperson Meow said:

Lol.  Ava is a million times more forgivable Avery or not.  Ava has expressed remorse for her crime, remorse for framing AJ.  

Ava spent more time boohooing over losing access to Morgan's dick than she ever spent feeling remorse for AJ. And she didn't just frame him for the pointless murder that she committed, she set him up to be murdered so she could protect her own ass. She and Sonny can both take their worthless remorse and fuck right off 

And fuck RC for turning Nik into such a garbage person that fuckin Ava Jerome sees him as a soulmate

Edited by Oracle42
  • Love 9
18 hours ago, TeeVee329 said:

Didnt Lewq give her that damn letter last July?

Did they ever reveal what was in Hells' letter to Laura?

2 hours ago, Oracle42 said:

Ava spent more time boohooing over losing access to Morgan's dick than she ever spent feeling remorse for AJ. And she didn't just frame him for the pointless murder that she committed, she set him up to be murdered so she could protect her own ass. She and Sonny can both take their worthless remorse and fuck right off 

And fuck RC for turning Nik into such a garbage person that fuckin Ava Jerome sees him as a soulmate

True, but written with more common sense, Ava would make sense.  I always got that she knew Sonny wasn't afraid to get violent with the women in his life, so she chose loyalty for her brother by killing Connie and then covered her ass by setting up AJ.  I can respect that on a show that tells me Sonny, the exploiter of all women and serial killer mob gangster too lazy to do anything for himself except manipulate and ruin lives,and Jason,robot killer with a conscious beaten into him barely, are heroes.  I can accept a woman being over her head and making bad choices and regretting them,but hey she saved her skin because I am a woman.  I make bad choices at times and get in over my head.  What I dislike is an EP telling me that I have to love this and that or what I'm attracted to. Don't tell the audience the sky is green when we know it's blue. Sonny murdered AJ because he wanted to.  Ava and Connie were excuses like he always has for the shitty things he does. That's why people loved original Todd Manning or Adam Chandler because they did shitty things and owned it.  

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Chairperson Meow said:

True, but written with more common sense, Ava would make sense.  I always got that she knew Sonny wasn't afraid to get violent with the women in his life, so she chose loyalty for her brother by killing Connie and then covered her ass by setting up AJ.  I can respect that on a show that tells me Sonny, the exploiter of all women and serial killer mob gangster too lazy to do anything for himself except manipulate and ruin lives,and Jason,robot killer with a conscious beaten into him barely, are heroes.  I can accept a woman being over her head and making bad choices and regretting them,but hey she saved her skin because I am a woman.

This is pretty much what I was saying earlier, that because the show is always trying to have it both ways in saying that Sonny and Sonny's acolytes are good and everyone who opposes them is bad, its common sense that Ava would do whatever she had to do to save her own life, and I say that as someone who loved it when AJ turned up alive after all those years. By the logic of the show, Ava is morally superior to Nikolas because she killed Connie and then set up an innocent man to take the fall for it, because that's exactly what Our Hero (*barf*) would do. Has Sonny ever done that, btw, killed someone and pointed the finger at someone else? The answer might be better placed in the History thread.

• Love 3
56 minutes ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Has Sonny ever done that, btw, killed someone and pointed the finger at someone else?

Probably not, because Sonny and Jasus only kill "bad mobsters".  I don't think they ever killed an established character onscreen until AJ. And honestly, other mobsters are fair game, AJ wasn't.

I like MW, but Ava is a mess of a character and I resent the fact that she and her pointless daughters are still on GH when AJ, who had much more story potential, is gone.  Not only that, her murder of Connie was pointless, which made AJ's death doubly pointless. RC liked to pull these idiotic, "shocking twists" without thinking out the long-term consequences

56 minutes ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

its common sense that Ava would do whatever she had to do to save her own life

That's my issue, I don't think her life is worth what the show lost. I don't think Ava (the character, not the actress) was a good trade for AJ and the ties he had to the canvas, the chemistry he had with his co-stars and the potential story he had just by virtue of being AJ Quartermaine

Edited by Oracle42
  • Love 8