Type keyword(s) to search

GH In The News: The PC Press Club

• Start Topic

There's camp you can get away with when it's backed up by a decent story, or a story that's largely populated with characters you're deeply invested in. As ludicrous as Obrecht/Anna was they had built up that story for two years and we had long since been introduced to the Obrecht/Faison relationship as well. It was a big moment when she ripped the mask off and was like, "I am not Ahhh-na!" And then when Anna took her down and made Faison give up the truth, which is still one of Finola and Anders Hove's best scenes IMO.

Ron could be very good at crafting high camp that was rooted in emotion and history with longstanding characters. But after a certain point it simply became a go-to daily tool. That defeats the purpose and destroys the novelty. I am all for fun and there was often a lot of it, but too much of one thing just makes you get sick.

• Love 6

Well said, jsbt.  The audience would have overlooked the hideous wig if the story wasn't so ridiculous - everyone just immediately accepting Denise into their lives, nobody questioning Denise's intense interest in Avery, etc.

• Love 2

Well said, jsbt.  The audience would have overlooked the hideous wig if the story wasn't so ridiculous - everyone just immediately accepting Denise into their lives, nobody questioning Denise's intense interest in Avery, etc.

I still don't want understand why Ava was off-screen for weeks after being shot and falling off the bridge, shows up for a literal few episodes with cancer, dies, is off-screen again for weeks, and then shows up claiming to be Denise?

What was the point of that cancer "story"?

And I know that the Gub'ner pardoned Sonny, but why arent Ava, Franco,  and Jewelz in Pentonville?

• Love 5

Michael Logan's Best and Worst in Soaps in 2015:

http://www.tvinsider.com/article/60478/the-best-and-worst-in-soaps-2015/

...does Michael Logan not get that Michelle Stafford, Roger Howarth and Maura West - who've all been with the show four years or less - shouldn't be GH's "biggest stars"?  But he's not wrong about Denise.  That really was the final straw for most with Ron.

Well he's not wrong in that they were Ron's stars. They sure weren't GH's. I doubt he meant it that way though. 

As for camp, I can enjoy it if it's done appropriately - instead it was so often nonsense like Spencer wandering out onstage to ruin his true love's Nurses' Ball experience through excessive lisping.

• Love 2

I still don't want understand why Ava was off-screen for weeks after being shot and falling off the bridge, shows up for a literal few episodes with cancer, dies, is off-screen again for weeks, and then shows up claiming to be Denise?

What was the point of that cancer "story"?

And I know that the Gub'ner pardoned Sonny, but why arent Ava, Franco,  and Jewelz in Pentonville?

I, personally, thought it was kinda gross that the show dabbled into telling a story about assisted suicide/right to choose, which several British soaps have tackled over the years to varying degrees, only to be all, "Psych, we totally got you, now she's wearing a wig!".

• Love 3

How did I miss this before?

Nancy Lee Grahan:  "If @MauriceBenard is The Brando of soaps, I guess that makes me Shelley Winters? ....."

She puts herself out there as the type of person who if something, good or awful, happened to someone else, her first thought would be "Yes, but how does this affect me?"

• Love 6

I can't believe someone compared Bernard to Brando. In what universe?

I've seen this before, actually. I think of his co stars said this years back in a magazine interview. Because Sonny=The Godfather, or something. Whatever. 

I've seen this before, actually. I think of his co stars said this years back in a magazine interview. Because Sonny=The Godfather, or something. Whatever.

Then he or she was smokin' sme serious Crack, because he only wishes he had even a tenth of Brando's talent.

• Love 8

I used to see Tyler Christopher compared to him a lot in looks in the press. EVERYONE STOP, OKAY? NONE OF YOU ARE BRANDO.

And we all know what happened to Brando's looks later in life, anyway. :'(

I guess Tyler's more bloated years could be slightly compared to Bloated!Brando (okay, that's kind of mean, I'll admit). 

I read that comment in SOD by the director the movie that Bernard and Wright are making appearances with Jennifer Lawrence.  I just looked it up he says "He's almost like a Brando to me."

1.  That's an insult to Brando; and

2.  If Bernard was remotely as talented as Brando his ass wouldn't be on a soap going on 25 years now.  Let's be real here.

• Love 11

I read that comment in SOD by the director the movie that Bernard and Wright are making appearances with Jennifer Lawrence.  I just looked it up he says "He's almost like a Brando to me."

1.  That's an insult to Brando; and

2.  If Bernard was remotely as talented as Brando his ass wouldn't be on a soap going on 25 years now.  Let's be real here.

David O. Russell said that? Wow.

To be fair, some even very talented soap actors stay within that realm to support their families. YMMV on Benard's talent, of course, but it does happen. 

• Love 2

I thought the David O. Russell quotes were about praising the actors for being able to get through so many pages/scenes and how they didn't get enough credit for that?  Which...true.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 10

I thought the David O. Russell quotes were about praising the actors for being able to get through so many pages/scenes and how they didn't get enough credit for that?  Which...true.

I don't think soap actors get nearly enough credit for their workload, but MB is one of many as far as this goes.

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 7

How did I miss this before?

Nancy Lee Grahan:  "If @MauriceBenard is The Brando of soaps, I guess that makes me Shelley Winters? ....."

She puts herself out there as the type of person who if something, good or awful, happened to someone else, her first thought would be "Yes, but how does this affect me?"

Nancy needs to shut-up and go dig a tunnel.

• Love 3

Yeah, I mean I don't think MB is good anymore but he was once. He only tried his luck away from GH for a year. Who knows what could have happened if he didn't come back?

I'll just be over here weeping for what could have been - a Sonny-free GH.  

• Love 13

For the week of Dec 7, GH was down over 300,000 year-to-year.

#FallinInLoveWithGH

What, you mean that turning an important legacy character into a psycho loser for mob peen didn't have 'em tuning in by the millions? Why, no one could have dreamed that giving an entire fan base the back of your hand would make them stop watching the show!

Those ratings are completely deserved.

• Love 5

I don't think one story is ever going to be enough to sink ratings. The problem is that all of the stories are shit and the new "writers" are just treading water playing out the crap that got the last writer justifuably axed

I did notice that the reappearance of the SERIAL KILLER & WE NEVER CARED has coincided with the Scorpios story

Edited by Oracle42
  • Love 3

Nathan Varni is starting to block haters on twitter. Granted, they are haters, and it's his right. But he's blocking for the snarky types of things being said here, and not for threats or vulgarity, etc. or even comments directed to him.

With this and his "true fans" comment, I think Varni's transformation into Ron Carlivati is well on its way.

It's like watching Anakin turn into Darth Vader.

Edited by Francie
  • Love 9

Niz reveal was such a let down but so was the Lulu/Dante crap. 

These writers seem to have a problem with the Big Reveal.  The Liz/Jason reveal fell flat.  So did the Dante/Valerie reveal.  And it seems like the Sabrina/Carrrrlos reveal is heading in the same direction.

• Love 2

More like watching Jacen Solo turn into Darth Cadeus. And if you just said "who?", then yes, that is exactly my point. I just want this guy to go away already.

LOL. Yeah, the Anakin/Darth Vader reference exhausts my Star Wars knowledge.

I only know the original trilogy well.

I thought that going from whiny punk to full on villain engulfed in the dark side was somewhat accurate, but I shall defer to you or anyone else who can even name the middle 3 Star Wars films (Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones and, ummm, Takes on Manhattan?)

Edited because:

Trying to fix the analogy to reflect Nathan's nebbish-ness.

Edited by Francie
  • Love 2

LOL. Yeah, the Anakin/Darth Vader reference exhausts my Star Wars knowledge.

I only know the original trilogy well.

I thought that going from whiny punk to full on villain was somewhat accurate, but I shall defer to you or anyone else who can even name the middle 3 Star Wars films (Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones and, ummm, Takes on Manhattan?)

lol, it's not even from the films, but from the now-pretty-much-defunct Star Wars novels.

I don't even understand why Varni is getting his pants in a bunch, it's not like any of this crap is his idea.

• Love 1

These writers seem to have a problem with the Big Reveal.  The Liz/Jason reveal fell flat.  So did the Dante/Valerie reveal.  And it seems like the Sabrina/Carrrrlos reveal is heading in the same direction.

The problem is that there are no consequences.  The big reveal is an "Oh shit!" moment because everything is supposed to change.  The liar is supposed to be ostracized. The killer captured. The villain upended.  Shit happens. Now, it's all so "You killed Kenny! So, anyway...."

This show became out of whack when Sonny, Carly, and Jason got away with everything. And then Ron came along and created all these cartoon villains who get away with everything too.  How can people seriously throw shade at Liz when within eyeball shot are Nina, Franco, Carly, Dr. O, Julian and Ava?

+1 for comparing Varni to HC's whiny annoying Anakin

-10 for comparing RC to awesome Darth Vader

You speak the truth. I earned (unearned?) that.

• Love 15

All this Star Wars talk turns me into Grumpy Cat (I've never seen any of the movies, and have never had a real burning desire to, so the publicity machine on the new movie has been...exhausting for me, to say the least).

Frankly, I would compare NV and RC to the infamous Star Wars Holiday Special, because like George Lucas wishing he could forget about said special, we wish we could forget about NV and RC.

• Love 6

All this Star Wars talk turns me into Grumpy Cat (I've never seen any of the movies, and have never had a real burning desire to, so the publicity machine on the new movie has been...exhausting for me, to say the least).

Frankly, I would compare NV and RC to the infamous Star Wars Holiday Special, because like George Lucas wishing he could forget about said special, we wish we could forget about NV and RC.

I'm gonna reply in the off topic thread.

+1 for comparing Varni to HC's whiny annoying Anakin

-10 for comparing RC to awesome Darth Vader

I'm sitting here trying to decide which one of them is more like Jan Brady*....I mean....Loki, and literally can't make a decision.

*Someone who isn't me made that observation/comparison, but it so fits.

• Love 1