Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E20: Hush... Hush, Sweet Liars

With the stalker threatening to kill all of them if they don't divulge Charlotte's killer by the election, the PLLs and company, at wit's end, must boldly fight back. As Spencer and Toby work together to catch Sara Harvey, Yvonne wonders where Toby's true affections lie. Ezra finishes the last chapter of his book, finally ready to say goodbye to Nicole; Aria comforts him during this emotional time and old feelings bubble to the surface. While Caleb works intently on his plan to protect Hanna, they reflect on what could have been. Meanwhile, Alison experiences strange visions and starts to question her sanity; Emily keeps tabs on her to make sure she's okay.

Promo:

Could the #TwinonPLL possibly have been a slightly bigger font in that clip ?  I'm guessing there are probably multiple sets of twins.  In fact, it will probably be the twinniest episode of PLL ever !!

Why are the 'U' and 'N' in the words 'unexplained', 'unexpected' and 'unbelievable' larger than the rest of the letters -- is the U.N. becoming involved somehow ?

Is that the same crappy motel where the 'A' lair was found many seasons ago ?

• Love 1

From that description, 3 of the 4 PLLs are working on the EmojA related plot, while the remainder is off in her own story.  Her own, icky, creepy, gross story.  Another day in Rosewood.

Though really it looks like they are trying to hit the reset button on all the relationships, as each of the Liars is off with her first lurve. 

• Love 1

Haha, that was my reaction too. A show that used to be so entertaining and full of surprises has been reduced to six people sitting around watching one person text and then waiting to get a reply. Gripping drama.

At least we know EmojA is still on it with the emojis.

• Love 2

I've never seen the classic Hush... Hush, Sweet Charlotte starring Bette Davis, but it sounds way more interesting than watching a roomful of people stare at one person's phone. I really hope someone drops a huge stone urn on Shower Emoji's head so we don't have to deal with her presence next season. Maybe Elliott and Shower Emoji are working together to drive Ali crazy like in the movie!

Spring finale? Really? Did we always have those? Okay, show. If it means the writers have more time to come up with something halfway decent, sure, take all the time you need.

Oh man the music box playing Pour Elise gave me all the feels, I'm not gonna lie. Once upon a time, there would be no question we'd get an amazing episode next alas, I'm can't get excited.

Maybe it's my general dislike of everything Hanna has become and chooses to be but I can't help but think she seems so shady this season. Kinda like she's playing a long con.

Edited by cuddlingcrowley
  • Love 1

How the hell is Ezra's book finished already? Didn't he only have two chapters done like a week ago, and has spent all the subsequent time being piss drunk and generally acting murderous?

• Love 2

Spring finale? Really? Did we always have those? Okay, show. If it means the writers have more time to come up with something halfway decent, sure, take all the time you need.lo

Yes, PLL has been doing split seasons since the very beginning because that's how ABC Family/Freeform structures their shows. They have four blocks which correspond with the seasons (spring, summer, fall, winter) and they alternate blocks, meaning some shows are shown in the fall/spring blocks and other shows are shown in the winter/summer blocks. PLL is one of their summer/winter shows so it always airs June through August and then January through March (with the occasional Halloween or Christmas special). They are referring to this as the spring finale because it's almost spring.

How the hell is Ezra's book finished already? Didn't he only have two chapters done like a week ago, and has spent all the subsequent time being piss drunk and generally acting murderous?

Maybe he discovered the joy of cocaine?

• Love 5
The end of this clip is why Mr. EB always has a very bright flashlight with him. It's better to be the person shining a light into someone's face than to be the one who is blinded by a flashlight.

Back in season 4 when the PLLs were investigating who had been squatting in the DiLaurentis basement, Emily and Aria (I think) were in the basement and one of them remarked "where's Spencer?  She always has the best flashlight."  She showed up a second later with a flashlight that could give you a tan.  So, continuity!

The magic of his teamwork with Aria?  Or Pigtunia ghost wrote it for both of them?

The magic of his teamwork with Aria?  Or Pigtunia ghost wrote it for both of them?

The magic of their luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurve gave them +20 speed writing skillz?

• Love 3

Maybe he can slip into a recreation of the Great Gatsby while he's at it too!

Can it be like that one time Spencer had a bad Adderall trip that warped her into a shitty noir film? Aria and Ezra Do Gatsby On Cocaine is a show I would watch again and again. A real family classic and whatnot.

Edited by Lii
  • Love 7

I've heard people are placing bets on "Jessica" being the twin and also Elliot's mother, so I guess that's my vote. Jennika Rollins.

I do think Jessica is the twin and that Dr. Rollins is involved somehow, but God I hope she's not his mom because the last thing this show needs is more incest. I think Jessica or Jessica's twin might be Bethany's mother though.  

And for those that are interested and too impatient to wait till tonight, there's a new sneak peek clip floating around that involves Alison, but it spoils what would have probably been a good scene on the show so watch at your own risk. Even the title of the article and the thumbnail for the video is pretty spoilery so heads up. 

Eh what's a twin compared to a long lost trangender sibling whom Jason thought was his rain man, but it turned out they dated when they grew up?  Said sibling menaced the girls 'cos she's 'crazy' and they didn't love Ali (or something) and, so she stole the game from Mona, who couldn't remember this because she was drugged and later staged her own murder.  How in the heck could this show be explained to anyone ever after? What would the Wikipedia entry look like? *Shudder* I don't think I even know quite who Bethany is or who killed her, and I think have watched every episode.

How can I get back these lost hours? Why am I watching preview clips? The twin will probably be frickin' Shana.

From preview clip:

CALEB: Sara Harvey took the bait!  ('Cos if he didn't say her surname, they wouldn't know who he meant).

VIEWERS:(ostensibly) Oooh, he's wrong. Sara is not A. They just think she is!  OMG It's someone else!  Oh and look at Ezra. I love it when he's in the gang. He and Aria are just too cute together.

I'm really just angry with myself because I am 40 and watch this show.  I am also angry about Spencer's hair.

Edited by insubordination
  • Love 9

Honestly Mrs D having a twin makes the most sense. If it's the twin we saw dead in veronica Hastings yard and Jessica is still alive it would make sense that she'd come after the liars because last we saw of her, she was intent on putting Spencer in jail, and she was the only one who loved Charlotte and cared enough about her to avenge her death. As for the killer, I have no idea.

I still haven't watched since episode 12 but I've been reading heather's recaps at autostraddle and it's been more than enough to keep me in the loop.

• Love 1

Yes, PLL has been doing split seasons since the very beginning because that's how ABC Family/Freeform structures their shows. They have four blocks which correspond with the seasons (spring, summer, fall, winter) and they alternate blocks, meaning some shows are shown in the fall/spring blocks and other shows are shown in the winter/summer blocks. PLL is one of their summer/winter shows so it always airs June through August and then January through March (with the occasional Halloween or Christmas special). They are referring to this as the spring finale because it's almost spring.

But isn't this half season running a little short??? Usually eps 1-12 run in the summer, 13 is the Halloween ep, and then 14-24 runs in the winter. This will only be episode 20 and honestly it feels like nothing has really happened.  And is next season the last???

Honestly Mrs D having a twin makes the most sense. If it's the twin we saw dead in veronica Hastings yard and Jessica is still alive it would make sense that she'd come after the liars because last we saw of her, she was intent on putting Spencer in jail, and she was the only one who loved Charlotte and cared enough about her to avenge her death. As for the killer, I have no idea.

Oh geez, reading this has made me think the writers are going to do some kind of weird retread book + TV show mashup of Ali's "death" for Mrs. D's death. In the book Ali's a twin who switches places, in the show Ali was "killed" by family and buried in her family's backyard by a family member.  Since they've been mirroring some past stuff post-time jump (I think they think it's a clever callback when it's actually just a reminder of better times, but whatever) I can totally see them throwing all those elements together and making Mrs. D a twin who killed (or was killed by) a family member and then buried them (or was buried) in a family member's backyard (using this creatively since Peter is Jason's father).

• Love 1

This is the most disgusting episode ever. I've watched a lot of crap on this show but there's one thing I have very low tolerance for and it's cheaters. Aria/Ezra. Caleb/Hannah.  Just GROSS.  MK can keep pushing this high school love down the viewers throats but something like this--where instead of facing your real feelings and being honest and faithful to your partner-- is a dealbreaker for me to finish this series and tune in next season. 

Oh and the reveal at the end was so lame. 

Bye Bye PLL

Edited by Peanut6711
  • Love 6

I feel like I should be disturbed that Ezra is so happy that he's going to get rich of his dead girlfriend that he fucks his ex-girlfriend in celebration, but it's Ezra so it's like of course he would do just that.

• Love 13

Terrible, horrible, boring, can't believe the writers on the show get payed finale aside, Caleb is an asshole. Never liked the kid even when people were going on and on about him being the best boyfriend

I'm sure that reveal was supposed to be "shocking," but all I did was roll my eyes. Is this all supposed to be for control of some stupid company that no one cares about? Also, Elliott having a British accent pretty much confirms for me that Charles was originally supposed to be Wren. Then Elliott would have been a long-lost brother or something like that. Never giving up on my hope that Wren is behind everything. 

• Love 4

What happened to that scene from the end of last season, with the girls coming to see Ali in her classroom and saying someone's after them?

If it's still in the future, that kind of takes some of the suspense away about Hannah being dragged across the floor by A and Ali being trapped in a mental hospital.

• Love 6

I'm sure that reveal was supposed to be "shocking," but all I did was roll my eyes. Is this all supposed to be for control of some stupid company that no one cares about?

Which only adds to the stupidity of the mystery not having anything at all to do with the four main characters the show was supposed to be about.

• Love 4

It's been a while since I said "fuck you" to the TV so much in one hour.  Ezra and Aria banging, Hanna and Caleb kissing, fuck that.  And the reveal at the end was stupid.

• Love 5

Terrible, horrible, boring, can't believe the writers on the show get payed finale aside, Caleb is an asshole. Never liked the kid even when people were going on and on about him being the best boyfriend

I was good with Caleb this season till tonight, but after that douchbag move where he made clear to Spencer that Toby wasn't to look at her and then he turned around and kissed Hannah is unforgivable.  These people haven't grown up in 5 years. Instead of being scared, immature teens, now they've just become despicable adults. Well except for Ezra; he's always been that way.

It's been a while since I said "fuck you" to the TV so much in one hour.  Ezra and Aria banging, Hanna and Caleb kissing, fuck that.  And the reveal at the end was stupid.

AMEN!!!

• Love 5

So they retconned the retcon and just made it even stupider.  Charlotte/Charles was Mrs. D's nephew not Mrs. D's son -- and their out for revenge on the PLLs for some reason that isn't really explained.  I wouldn't be surprised if Mary Drake killed Charlotte herself.

And it wouldn't be PLL without a little cousin-banging -- if Alison think's she's losing it now, wait until she finds out she banged her cousin Eliot.

And has Mary Drake been the one actually tormenting the PLLs all these years ?  And CeCe took the fall for her mom so her mom wasn't arrested ? I guess.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver

This show is going out with a whimper, that's for sure.  Making these characters that are barely present throughout the series and no one is invested in (Charlotte, Dr. Rollins, Mrs DiLaurentis, Mary Drake, Sara Harvey)  somehow central to the entire plot is ridiculous and completely weakens any "shock" they might be able to create.  There's such potential for great storylines if they'd picked literally anyone else to be A, the Black Widow, the twin, etc but instead they pick the lamest possible way to go every single time.  Any realistic motive these people would have for the years-long torturing of a group of teenage girls is getting completely lost to me.

And turning Hanna/Caleb and Aria/Ezra into cheaters now?  Screw that.  Oh, that's right.  It's ok if it's with your high school "true love"...

So is that flash-forward from the last finale still coming in the future?  If so it really takes the suspense away from Hanna being knocked out (dead?) and Ali being in a mental hospital.

Edited by Kate213
  • Love 1

Was Shower Harvey even in this episode ?  Did I blink and miss her ?   After all the build up through 6B, she was MIA in the season finale, especially after last episode she was driving with her supposedly useless burnt/scarred hands.  

• Love 2

That was terrible. At least I can for sure be right on with calling Haleb endgame. I knew it and I kind of feel bad for people who were invested in Spencer and Caleb. I knew that was going nowhere. Anyways.. That was terrible. I'm not happy everyone's a cheaper but I did call this like 9 episodes ago.

Also I am confused by that scene they showed last summer with the girls all running to Ali's classroom. I feel I say this evry season buy damn this show needs a message bored with charts and crap or an intern to make some notes on their iPad because they need to remember some of their plotlines and stuff. .

• Love 1

This show is cracked out.

I will say that when Ali first saw what she thought was her mother (I'm mad I had to type that out) scared me.

Hanna, Caleb, Ezra and Aria? Thumbs down. I've hated the last two since this show started so this book thing is just tedious and I fast forward that sex scene.

Is there any show that allows people to move on from their high school sweetheart?!

That reveal plus the clunky exposition (along with the one lonely file in the record room) was the final nail in the coffin. I can't believe I still watch this shit.

They resolved one minor mystery that a lot of people expected:  Elliot was gaslighting Ali in order to get control of her family's money.  Jessica's twin being Charlotte's mother was just a twist.  A weird, dumb, nonsensical, "hey we finally included a twin" twist.

No resolution on who was sending all the  Amoji texts.  No resolution on who killed Charlotte.  Not that I really cared that much, but I was slightly interested.  Marginally. 

And the flash-forward definitely deflates what little tension the cliffhangers might have had.

One more "fuck off" -- Caleb says he felt like a character from Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children which was one of the movies they were pimping during the commercials. 

• Love 1

That was terrible. At least I can for sure be right on with calling Haleb endgame. I knew it and I kind of feel bad for people who were invested in Spencer and Caleb. I knew that was going nowhere. Anyways.. That was terrible. I'm not happy everyone's a cheaper but I did call this like 9 episodes ago.

Also I am confused by that scene they showed last summer with the girls all running to Ali's classroom. I feel I say this evry season buy damn this show needs a message bored with charts and crap or an intern to make some notes on their iPad because they need to remember some of their plotlines and stuff. .

There's no need for charts or cheat sheets because none of the plots or mysteries make any kind of sense. MK is just making it up as she goes along and each season she decides on new shock value "reveals" to fuck with the viewers, and at this point half of them (the reveals) are pretty transparent.  Just watching her (MK) being interviewed, it's pretty clear she doesn't have anything invested in the characters and she loves to toy with the viewers simply for the sake of tweets and attention. 

• Love 1

So the writers used the five year time jump to breakup all of the relationships, just so they could get them back together 10 episodes later.  Not really sure it was worth it. (Yes I know Toby and Spencer are not back together but they spent the whole episode together and their current relationships are about to go to shit.)  Not to mention the one healthy relationship on the show is now going to destroy a friendship, wonderful.  Also is Emily/Alison ever going to happen again.  I don't even ship them together anymore, I just want to know if the show is ever going to acknowledge that they dated for like three days.  I mean Elliot is evil and Emily and Alison spent an entire episode together and then told each other they love each other at the end of the episode.  Where else could this show be going?

Side note, does anyone think the show went with more nudity this episode because the FreeForm re-branding was meant to bring in a slightly older demographic.  I was honestly a little shocked to see that much of Troian's very attractive butt. 

Last thoughts, I laughed at Toby's glasses and Hanna running in the rain.  Probably the only good thing this episode was the fact Alison got something interesting to do.

What happened to that scene from the end of last season, with the girls coming to see Ali in her classroom and saying someone's after them?

If it's still in the future, that kind of takes some of the suspense away about Hannah being dragged across the floor by A and Ali being trapped in a mental hospital.

The writers forgot, and/or suck. What's new?

Which only adds to the stupidity of the mystery not having anything at all to do with the four main characters the show was supposed to be about.

Just like how the entire motivation for chArlotte was...um, cuz it was fun?

Making these characters that are barely present throughout the series and no one is invested in (Charlotte, Dr. Rollins, Mrs DiLaurentis, Mary Drake, Sara Harvey)  somehow central to the entire plot is ridiculous and completely weakens any "shock" they might be able to create.  

For some reason I held out hope that some combo of my non-PLL faves Mona, Jenna, Lucas, and Noel were involved in this mystery. Instead it's a bunch of irrelevant people who were in no episodes of the first 2 seasons, except for Jessica who was in 2?

Is there any show that allows people to move on from their high school sweetheart?!

Buffy.

• Love 1

How do you fix your shows beloved ships in one easy step? Make everyone conduct themselves like selfish immoral jerks and cheat on their current significant others who have been nothing but loving! Except Spoby....good for you, Spoby!

Poor Spencer. Says she loves Caleb and then he and Hanna act like asses. Not cool. Maybe Caleb should spend less time making out with his girlfriend's best friend who also happens to be his ex-gf, who happens to be engaged to another man, and more time looking for trap doors because of course the creepy motel in Rosewood has a trap door, why would you think it wouldn't, dummy?

What was the point of Elliott faking an American accent? Why couldn't he just be Charlotte's British doctor? Wouldn't he have spoken to Ali in Charlotte's presence at some point? Was she in on him deceiving her sister? Wouldn't she recognize that he was using a fake accent. So stupid.

Rollins' mask guy is quite the wizard. Where would Mary and Elliott even get a model for Wilden's face? Dude has been dead for years, his face is long gone.

I'm confused about the timeline of Ali's relationship with Rollins. Charlotte was upset when she found out about Ali and Elliott that night because she was in love with him or whatever, but why would Rollins start dating Ali while Charlotte was still alive if he loves her like he said he did?

So was Charlotte not really recovered? Did Rollins just fake it? Were her love for Ali sincere or was she faking that too?

And is Rollins and Mary's motive just money? How lame.

Did Mary kill Jessica? Ugh. This show.

So Charlotte is both Alison and Jason's biological cousin and adoptive sister? Guys, the writers fixed the brother-sister incest plot hole of Charlotte's reveal! Everyone can relax now, incest between cousins is totally acceptable!

Why does Ali think she's responsible for Wilden's murder? Did she even know Wilden?

Who just checks themselves into a mental institution at the first sign of trouble. How did Rollins and Mary know she'd do that? It would take more than a couple of scary visions for me to commit myself.

I liked that Emily was there for Alison but it felt like she played no part in the action.

Obviously Hanna's not dead, we saw her in the flash forward, so kind of kills the suspense.

Yay for Mona just popping up wherever the hell she feels like.

And I guess it's going to take a while for Ali to realize her husband is a psycho. This is why you don't marry people you hardly know...you never can tell if they're just some secretly British doctor, who was in love with your mentally insane sister, and is conspiring with your dead mother's long lost crazy identical twin to convince you you're crazy by wearing masks of the dead cop's face your sister/cousin killed that time and sliding into bed beside you when they're supposed to be out of town because they want your dead sister's money.

Edited by SadieT
  • Love 18

When Ali started seeing dead people I thought it was too convenient that she started seeing dead people when she got married. It was obvious he was gas lighting her. I thought though that he was drugging her to see dead people, the fact he was wearing a mask I didn't expect.

The first time Mary showed up and Ali saw her holding the music box, I jumped as Ali dropped the music box. That was a good scene. 

Mary & Elliott want money, it doesn't seem like they have Hannah. It's 2 separate teams.

Caleb was kind of an ass in the flashback with his ultimatum. Because Hannah doesn't want to lose her job to go tour Europe for months that's worth a break up? Normal people trying to forge a career do have to work for a living and can't just take off for months to Europe. What is Caleb's job? Where does he get money from? 

So Aria still loves Ezra, Ezra still loves Aria. Hannah still loves Caleb and no shock Caleb still loves Hannah. So what changed over the 5 years? Hannah's got a fiancee who nobody barely knows and Spencer loves Caleb? Spencer you were stupid to get into the middle of Hannah and Caleb. It was Spencer who? The second Caleb heard Hannah say she still loved him. At least Aria knew her relationship wasn't serious by her not telling Liam anything about her past or Ezra.

They really didn't check the floors? Stupid Caleb. It's 'A' or actually 'AD'.  Who is in the surveillance video they're watching running at the end?

Edited by Artsda
  • Love 3

Bright side: Jason only made out with one of his sisters.

Reality: Jason made out with a sister and a cousin.

This show has jumped the shark so many times. Marlene has to be trying to tank it at this point. Why is the Carisimi group even a thing now? I forgot about it completely until Elliot's subtle mention of Jason in the beginning of the episode. Who even cares that Elliot is the masked man? I knew he was gaslighting Ali within 10 minutes. Geeze.

Edited by Spencer Hastings
  • Love 3

Well, that was a crap season and a crap finale. I agree with the complaints that the latest plot developments are at best tangenially related to the girls and since we´re here for the girls... we have no reason to want to follow this lame current story.

Ezra´s crying voice just sounded like he had the flu. Caleb sucks. Toby is boring. Hanna´s been super irritating: first she was uppity, then an apparent golddigger, now she´s a cheater who stringed along a fiance, lied to a friend about her true feelings and waited YEARS to tell the person she really wanted that she wanted them. What the hell? Also, why did they show Lucas in the "previously" section if he wasn´t even mentioned in the episode?

I´m glad Veronica is a senator now. The other moms should have made an appearance, if only because they´re better than everyone else.

At least we didn´t get any Shower scenes.

• Love 1

That really sucked, the writers aren't even trying anymore. All the relationships that were broken up are now getting back together (but you know Ezra's dead girlfriend will show up again as soon as Ezaria recommits), of course Eliot is drugging Alison, & because he's a doctor, he will now be able to keep her in the hospital forever (and was Ali in her house when she was alone? they have a dial phone?), & that one file at Radley has conveniently been there all this time with the spider webs being spun around it? It's just crap. It's also driving me crazy how they keep having Mona appear for absolutely no reason, they apparently have no idea what to do with her character, but don't want to get rid of her. Seriously, just end it already.

I've been waiting for that scene, but the plot isn't even going in that direction.

Edited by GaT
  • Love 1

I have so many thoughts. The first one being, Ali does know there are way less extreme mental health options other than checking yourself into your friendly local sanitarium, right? You're a teacher, you've probably got insurance, maybe look up an in-network therapist? Although, who knows, maybe there's a family discount program going on. Another funny family note, they're obviously trying to retcon the Charlotte & Jason thing by making her a cousin instead of sibling but children of identical twins are genetically siblings anyway so either way you cut it, Charlotte is his genetic half-sibling.

I can't even be bothered with the Haleb/Spaleb thing except to say it was really rich of Caleb to snap at Spencer, assuming she brought Mona along, right after cheating on her. I get what they were going for there, but it left a bad taste in my mouth. Way to ruin the only non-creeper young male in Rosewood after you killed off the only non-creeper older male, Papa Fields.

What was the point of Elliott faking an American accent? Why couldn't he just be Charlotte's British doctor? Wouldn't he have spoken to Ali in Charlotte's presence at some point? Was she in on him deceiving her sister? Wouldn't she recognize that he was using a fake accent. So stupid....I'm confused about the timeline of Ali's relationship with Rollins. Charlotte was upset when she found out about Ali and Elliott that night because she was in love with him or whatever, but why would Rollins start dating Ali while Charlotte was still alive if he loves her like he said he did?...So was Charlotte not really recovered? Did Rollins just fake it? Were her love for Ali sincere or was she faking that too?

Why does Ali think she's responsible for Wilden's murder? Did she even know Wilden?

I feel like they're going to do another "stole the game from me" thing. My theory is that Charlotte was definitely in on the deception initially, as this was meant to be a long con, and that Mary Drake was always a part of it. Charlotte did use Drake as her last name when she was going by Cece, after all. (Come to think of it, that really should have raised more red flags for Mrs. D.)  I think Elliot only became part of this once Charlotte was institutionalized, like a contingency plan, but Charlotte eventually wanted to back out. Either she hated seeing him pretend to love Ali or she'd bonded with Ali and wanted to stop with the games, but I do think she was killed because she wanted to stop and her mom wanted to keep going. 

Ali knew Wilden, he was there during the summer in Cape May and is thought to be Beach Hottie, the guy she had a pregnancy scare with. Cece killed him and claimed it was because he knew Ali was alive and wasn't going to let her come back, presumably because she had too much dirt on him.

Edited by luvly