Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars: In the Media and TLC

As a reminder, the site's Politics Policy remains in effect.  Yes, Jim Bob is apparently running for office again. That does not make it an acceptable topic of conversation in here - unless for some mysterious reason, TLC brings the show back and it is discussed on there. Even then, it would be limited to how it was discussed on the show.

If you have any questions, please PM the mods, @SCARLETT45 and myself.

• Start Topic

On 7/13/2016 at 6:39 PM, BitterApple said:

It's sad that Jinger and Jessa think they're so up on fashion when in reality their outfits look like the kind of last minute throw-togethers most college girls sport when they're hung over, twenty minutes late for class and all their cute stuff is dirty. 

.......except that they would have to take the time to put on the modesty cami.

Every single item of clothing in that clip, both on them and displayed,  was what Clinton and Stacy would throw into the barrel with the hanger still attached, for fear they would have to come in contact with it.

What person would watch this and copy their "style"?

Actually, after seeing that preview, what person would watch this boring-ass show at all?

• Love 5
1 hour ago, drafan said:

Every single item of clothing in that clip, both on them and displayed,  was what Clinton and Stacy would throw into the barrel with the hanger still attached, for fear they would have to come in contact with it.

Actually, after seeing that preview, what person would watch this boring-ass show at all?

Indeed.  We used to watch Clinton and Stacy all the time.  They'd have to deal with the warped idea of "modesty" to work with this family.  Clinton and Stacy would show them nice appropriate things and the Duggars would say where is the modesty panel.  And then C and S would roll their eyes.  What fun.

(edited)

No one commented on the christlike pose? You're all slipping!

Edit: I JinJer gets too much wedding attention: STIGMATA. You heard it here first.

Edited by JoanArc
  • Love 1

Michelle looked somewhat acceptable for Jessa's wedding, she didn't dare pull her attention seeking crap with Jessa but i'm sure she will come bouncing back with something hideously modest for Jinger's wedding, especially as she has been out of the limelight for a while.

• Love 3
On 7/20/2016 at 9:09 AM, Jeeves said:

I've seen a new(ish) TLC promo, running on other cable channels, spotlighting its "I am . . ." theme. The Duggs aren't included as far as I could tell, and since I'd DVR'd it I rewound and watched carefully. They have the Sister Wives bunch, Jazz, the fat and not-so-fabulous Whitney, and others. But no Duggs. 

TLC continues to give the Duggars their own page on its site with video clips of their mind-numbingly boring little righteous lives. But also, TLC didn't include any Duggars in its recent public event in Chicago featuring appearances by several of its series stars.

I think TLC's still not sure what to do with the Duggars. The painfully vapid "Counting On" episodes drew a million viewers but few sponsors, which means it wasn't hitting at its ratings weight in terms of ad revenues. They tried going stylish and edgy with that photo shoot of the older kids and kidults (minus the grifting missioncationers who weren't worth flying back from Danger America to participate), but that was just strange. Because the Duggars are so - passive. They are all about being cloistered from, and righteouser than, and "a little bit different" from, well, regular everyday American people.

They used to be sold by TLC as the "sweet, righteous, holy, untainted, obedient, extra-large, lovable family" during the 19K&C heyday.

After that facade was blown up by Joshgate, it's just been . . . odd. TLC's got a death grip on their huge corporate investment in the Duggars and I'm sure the bean counters have sweet dreams of someday being able to again monetize those zillion episodes by running them as repeats. There's a gleam of possible future revenue from a rehabilitated and redeemed and "cured" Josh, but AFAIK he's still poison and putting him on the show right now would be controversial. Would draw ratings but probably reduce ad revenues even further and cause backlash.

TLC is not ready to move on. They just can't quit the Duggars. I can imagine their geeks working the spreadsheets, developing the business cases for hanging on. Or, as the title admits, "Counting On."

Does TLC do upfronts like the other networks? If so, have the Duggs participated? Those are typically a good indication of who's getting cut and who's coming back. 

2 hours ago, JoanArc said:

No one commented on the christlike pose? You're all slipping!

Edit: I JinJer gets too much wedding attention: STIGMATA. You heard it here first.

Nope, too Catholic. ;)

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Marigny said:

Does TLC do upfronts like the other networks? If so, have the Duggs participated? Those are typically a good indication of who's getting cut and who's coming back. 

The big productions in May?  No, that's usually only the major networks.  TLC does much smaller things on their own usually.

On 7/24/2016 at 9:17 PM, GeeGolly said:

3531104f057e258d3724dc8aa0830097.jpg1023.jpg

She could try something like these. Just in case they're bored and reading PTV tonight.

I see cleavage in your right-hand candidate and thus a candidate for the modesty panel, sad to say.

I mean, I'd put my own mother in the right-hand ensemble, just keeping it real though.

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm about Mechelle's age, and I wouldn't wear either of those, although if forced to choose, I'd pick the one on the right (although I confess I don't have a rack anywhere near as impressive as the model). The one on the left is a little too old, more Helen Mirren-esque, ie. for someone maybe in her 60's. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 2
(edited)

I'm pretty sure the ugly "nobody else would be caught dead in this" vibe of Michelle's clothes is the whole point. Her dress is just one more way of showing the world how God has set her apart for her Very Special Ministry of Telling Us All How It Should Be Done. Ergo, any outfit that a fair number of people of any age would pick out as nice-looking and appropriate would be a no go for God's little attention whore. Wearing clothes that nobody from age three to 103 would pick makes her unique, just like having 19 kids and counting. Same with hair. And why rather than buying any of the millions of quite modest tops and dresses on sale in stores across America, she buys a scoop neck dress and tacks a napkin or a diaper into it to cover her clavicles. Lots of people wear those designed-modest dresses, so to be set apart she needs a nappy at the neckline. And God smiles.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 22
25 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

I'm pretty sure the ugly "nobody else would be caught dead in this" vibe of Michelle's clothes is the whole point. Her dress is just one more way of showing the world how God has set her apart for her Very Special Ministry of Telling Us All How It Should Be Done. Ergo, any outfit that a fair number of people of any age would pick out as nice-looking and appropriate would be a no go for God's little attention whore. Wearing clothes that nobody from age three to 103 would pick makes her unique, just like having 19 kids and counting. Same with hair. And why rather than buying any of the millions of quite modest tops and dresses on sale in stores across America, she buys a scoop neck dress and tacks a napkin or a diaper into it to cover her clavicles. Lots of people wear those designed-modest dresses, so to be set apart she needs a nappy at the neckline. And God smiles.

Exactly. I think I said something like this on another thread. 

• Love 2

I think the Duggars are freaking out now because of Hillary Clinton's nomination for the Democratic party. If they adhere to their principles then they can't even support Donnie. They've been very silent about politics of late. What are they going to do now?

• Love 1

I wouldn't put my mom in either, and she's older than Michelle. She wore a similar styled dress to my sister's wedding as Michelle did to whichever daughter she wore that gray dress (was it both?). But of course, her's was appropriately tailored, had no ugly jacket, showed appropriate cleavage with a v-neck, and fit appropriately at the waist and hips, and sat just around the knee. She also had a hair style that's not straight out of the 80s. And well done make up. But it had those v-panel things down the side, just not the frills (I'm only speaking from memory here). My sister and I would never let my mom dress like Michelle.

1 hour ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

Friends don't let friends dress like Michelle.

But luckily in Gothard land women and second- and third-generationers aren't allowed to have friends. Whew! Jesus' favorite style icon is safe.

• Love 4

This might be off topic but here goes. We are at our subdivision pool. A woman I've not seen before arrived dressed in what looks like Muslim garb. She has a baby. They are in the pool. She is wearing the entire outfit. Head covering and long pants and flowy top. Doesn't look comfortable. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

Friends don't let friends dress like Michelle.

Mechelle doesn't have any friends. Seriously. Does she ever go out with her girlfriends for lunch or even Starbucks? She has that one friend from the show, but other than that, we've seen no one. Likewise, I don't think Boob has any real friends, either. 

Back to media-related issues, this article contains the trailer for the new season. Check out how they used tons of cutting room promo stuff from the previous season to sell the family as something "vibrant" and "normal."

http://www.theashleysrealityroundup.com/2016/07/27/tlc-releases-first-trailer-for-counting-on-season-2-more-weddings-babies-in-the-duggars-future/

Michelle has that friend Cindy from high school.  What Michelle is allowed to do and what the other women, including her own daughters, are miles apart.  The Duggars are the rare patriarchy run by the wife.  I still think Michelle is driving this crazy train.

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, JoanArc said:

Article raking The Duggars over birth control

They're each others best friends. By necessity.

Ah, that tired old saw. They never said how far along she was when she supposedly miscarried "Caleb." But even if she did get pregnant and maybe miscarried at 7 weeks or so (if she did miscarry, it was very early), it's because of chromosomal deformitites, not the pill. 

I see fundies trying to argue this shit all the time. Dr. Wheat is the same guy who wrote the infamous sex book. A lovely gateway who introduced the Duggars to Gothardism. 

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Sew Sumi said:

I see fundies trying to argue this shit all the time. Dr. Wheat is the same guy who wrote the infamous sex book. A lovely gateway who introduced the Duggars to Gothardism. 

And that is what the members of God's Army do, while their here on earth. Scary shit.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

This might be off topic but here goes. We are at our subdivision pool. A woman I've not seen before arrived dressed in what looks like Muslim garb. She has a baby. They are in the pool. She is wearing the entire outfit. Head covering and long pants and flowy top. Doesn't look comfortable. 

Responding in the Small Talk thread

• Love 1
On 7/25/2016 at 4:12 PM, drafan said:

I thought I read in the People article that Jin's outfit she proudly bragged about buying at the thrift store in the video is the same one she is wearing in one of the engagement photos (the drab brown & gray one).  I was hoping People's wardrobe department was going to have a hand in their choice of clothes for the photos but it doesn't look like it.

19 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Mechelle doesn't have any friends. Seriously. Does she ever go out with her girlfriends for lunch or even Starbucks? She has that one friend from the show, but other than that, we've seen no one. Likewise, I don't think Boob has any real friends, either. 

Back to media-related issues, this article contains the trailer for the new season. Check out how they used tons of cutting room promo stuff from the previous season to sell the family as something "vibrant" and "normal."

http://www.theashleysrealityroundup.com/2016/07/27/tlc-releases-first-trailer-for-counting-on-season-2-more-weddings-babies-in-the-duggars-future/

I wasn't necessarily implying that Michelle had friends. My snark was that anyone who really was your friend would never let you leave the house if they saw you looking like Michelle. She's come a long way from prairie frumpers with those countenance enhancing clown collars, but it's obvious to anyone that she's got no clue what to wear.

• Love 1

I knew what you meant. I just piled on saying that yes, she OBVIOUSLY has no one to advise her. The one time her friend Cindy tried, with that makeover, she was back to poodlehead the next time she washed her hair and back to frumpwear probably the second the TLC cameras left.

• Love 1
(edited)
4 hours ago, Barb23 said:

I was hoping People's wardrobe department was going to have a hand in their choice of clothes for the photos but it doesn't look like it.

If they did, though, wouldn't that just be temporarily making the Duggars look way better than they are as a false PR ploy?

It's not as if having somebody else dress you for one photo shoot is going to change your approach to dress, so it wouldn't be educating them. We've certainly seen that with Michelle. And heard plenty even from the kids that show how unlikely it is that they can be influenced for the better or educated by anything done by someone from the "outside world."

Dressing any of them, even Jinger, for an hour of photography in non-Duggar clothes would just be, again, using false appearances to normalize their shit so the public doesn't notice what it really is, seems to me. So let the little brainwashed one wear whatever ugly crap her Duggar heart desires. That represents the true Jinger, apparently, and it is reality TeeVee, after all.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 3

The Duggars continue with the frump wear because it's yet another way to show what special snowflakes/"Christian" they are. One has to wonder if they've arrived at the "seven deadly sins" portion of the Bible yet; "pride" is mentioned prominently. Maybe that's in next year's Wisdom Booklets.

• Love 8

OK, I caught just a bit of their latest commercial and I think there is some yammering about adopting, and also Derick saying something to Jill about we better think about another baby???  I was diving for the remote to turn up the sound but didn't quite make it. 

On July 31, 2016 at 1:08 AM, Tabbygirl521 said:

OK, I caught just a bit of their latest commercial and I think there is some yammering about adopting, and also Derick saying something to Jill about we better think about another baby???  I was diving for the remote to turn up the sound but didn't quite make it. 

Verbatim: "let's try to have another baby before next year"

• Love 2

"let's try to have another baby before next year"

"It's not like we have anything else to do!"

EDIT: Way to "Leave it to God" Derick.

Code: We're not really going back to Danger America if Jill is pregnant; we will remain in the States until non-Zika  baby is safely (or in their case NOT so safely) delivered. 

Assuming neither was infected already. It's an easy illness to overlook, especially if you are sick with regularity as Jill admitted they were.

Edited by JoanArc
  • Love 1

You're right. Even if they've already been infected, they'd never know it, because going to a doctor is a foreign concept for them. They wouldn't know for sure until an ultrasound showed Zika deformities. I really hope they were just suffering Montezuma's Revenge, nothing more. 

• Love 3

So they're going to try and have a baby? Are they implying that they have be trying NOT to have a baby now?

And unfortunately for them Zika will probably arrive in Arkansas not long after them.

I work with a few women in the family planning stage of their lives. Even here, in New England OB/GYNs are suggesting that prospective parents be tested for Zika prior to becoming parents, especially if there are any known risks. Nobody wants to be the first known case, and one of my co-worker's MD is suggesting she change her travel plans, which is just going a couple states down the coast.

I hope they're not relying solely on God for this one.

• Love 1

I thought I read in the People article that Jin's outfit she proudly bragged about buying at the thrift store in the video is the same one she is wearing in one of the engagement photos (the drab brown & gray one).

I have not seen that outfit except in the engagement photos, so my theory could be rubbish, but that particular color can be wonky with different kinds of lighting.  It's possible that it looks fine in person but clashes in photographs.  I know someone who has an outfit in a similar color and in artificial lighting it is green like the inside of an avocado.  Outdoors in the sunlight, you'd swear the same outfit was poop brown.

1 hour ago, TomServo said:

I have not seen that outfit except in the engagement photos, so my theory could be rubbish, but that particular color can be wonky with different kinds of lighting. 

That's true. When Jessa got married I thought her wedding dress was champagne. It wasn't until I saw the natural light photos that I realized it was blush pink.

To

7 hours ago, TomServo said:

I have not seen that outfit except in the engagement photos, so my theory could be rubbish, but that particular color can be wonky with different kinds of lighting.  It's possible that it looks fine in person but clashes in photographs.  I know someone who has an outfit in a similar color and in artificial lighting it is green like the inside of an avocado.  Outdoors in the sunlight, you'd swear the same outfit was poop brown.

To say nothing of that "is it black and blue or white and gold?" dress that was all over the internet a year or two ago

• Love 1